Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So the changeover begins

Comments

• Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

why the fk are the cabinet being driven around in German cars ?

Saxe-Coburg-Gotha ---> Windsor :lol:
    LOL

should be a Rolls Royce then. German car built in Sussex.
    Built in Sussex? I think put together from parts manufactured all over would be a better description.

Incidentally my brother-in-law who works at the site is very critical of the body presses and other bits that come from Germany. Says the quality is crap.
    All cars are modular these days Mr L and made of bits from across the work. Nobody really manufactures cars these days ( except perhaps Morgan! ) they are assembled.

As for body panels from memory RR make theirs in Dingolfing in Germany never really understood why, it must cost them a fortune to ship them over and there are loads of places in the UK could make them.
    Quite so, Mr. B, and a German company giving contacts to another German company to produce second rate products, which have to be corrected and finished at the UK plant (so adding to the plant's costs) should not surprise us.

Makes me cross though.

Anyway, enough! I am off up the road for a meeting of the Hurstpierpoint and District Gentlemen's Temperance Association. Item 1 on the agenda is this Summer's outings and as I am Hon. Sec. Outings Committee, I need to be there early to put the fixes in.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

Listening to that speech. Labour is screwed isnt it.

If she can deliver, not just Labour. SNP too....
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Very good PM certainly the best probably during my lifetime. Could have gone down as an all time great but now probably isn't the time to really judge his legacy in terms of Europe. Who knows he may be proven right and history may judge him differently (though if that is indeed the case I have no doubt he will be blamed for giving the people the choice in the first place).

Made the Conservative party re-electable again and governed what was one of the best governments during my lifetime in coalition and that was no easy task. Implementation of gay marriage at a time when he went against a large part of his party and membership. 2.5 million more people in work and the significant progress made on the deficit. Winning his party a majority for the first time in over 20 years. He has plenty to be proud of but it's such a shame that he could have done so much more with the talent he had.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

I wonder if Dennis Thatcher left a note in Number 10 for future husbands of Prime Ministers?

Its in the drinks cabinet
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,172
    ydoethur said:

Was that shrieking noise Nicola Sturgeon's reaction to May talking about Unionism in her second sentence as PM?

One can only hope Tessy will talk LOTS more about Unionism.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,980

Quite liked the fact it was up there right at the start of her speech.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    edited July 2016

Charles said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

Possibly. I'm beginning to wonder if the referendum was lost for Remain long before the renegotiation, that it was used as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity by many voters to give an "Up Yours" to a way of governing that lots of people had been sotto voce grumbling about for years, a feeling that government (both British/EU) had become a conspiracy against the people rather than the servants of the people.

Why do you think we chose to position ourselves on the right side of history?
    I think that sometimes the "little people", in their masses, have a better sense for the sweepingly big moments in history than the political elite.

If in 20 - or better, 40 - years' time any of us are still alive and commenting on PB.com, I would be astonished if any of us would challenge the Wisdom of Sunderland, point at what the EU has become and declare but for one mad year, we would fit right in there.

Was the referendum vote a grasping of Destiny, or a flailing F.U. by a long-failed populace? I don't know. But I do believe there is wisdom in them there crowds.
    I completely agree.

It's far too easy for the country's leadership team to become divorced from the realities of life for normal people. It's hard work keeping your finger on the pulse, but worth doing.
    I think Tim T has posted some interesting stuff on the decision-making process and how taking lots of factors into account often requires an emotional, "gut" response rather than an analytical one. If he's listening in and has any reading suggestions along these lines, I'd be interested.
    I would too.

But this from Edmund Burke should suffice for now.

"Politics ought to be adjusted not to human reasonings but to human nature, of which reason is but a part and by no means the greatest part."

It is one reason why lawyers can often be lousy leaders. They place too great a value on rationality and arguments. But leadership and judgment and getting others to give of their best and persuading others rarely depend just on the strength of an argument. You have to make people feel what you want them to do and that means you need first to understand how they feel about whatever issue you're dealing with. Listening is hard work. In the end, this is what does for PMs. It becomes harder and harder to find the time and space to do the necessary listening. And when they lose touch they make mistakes.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    Chancellor this evening ta, want another "return" on my investments !
  • Options

Calm down dear*, you'll get yourself over excited.

*too soon?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    I'm looking forward to her meeting foreign leaders like Merkel and Obama. It'll be awkward when she meets Hollande because she's about 5 inches taller than he is.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,760
    James Forsyth: Clear that Theresa May gets that the referendum was about more than the European Union
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    MaxPB said:

This is just a reheated (same?) version of the Birmingham speech.

Yes but with the added Union part in it I think.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,330

James Forsyth: Clear that Theresa May gets that the referendum was about more than the European Union

If she achieves her objectives she will be in power for a very long time
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    RodCrosby said:

Bloody awful speech.

3/10

Not right-wing enough? You do (seem) to support Trump afterall....
  • Options
    Am I the only one who didn't always have my attention on her face :blush:
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Cyclefree said:

If he'd campaigned for Leave, he'd have won it by a landslide and would have been untouchable.

He wanted his legacy to include securing the UK's place in Europe and killing off the issue for a generation. That was entirely noble, and probably achievable if he'd only got a bit more out of his negotiation and if Labour had a moderate likeable leader going all out to campaign for "Remain".
    Possibly. I'm beginning to wonder if the referendum was lost for Remain long before the renegotiation, that it was used as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity by many voters to give an "Up Yours" to a way of governing that lots of people had been sotto voce grumbling about for years, a feeling that government (both British/EU) had become a conspiracy against the people rather than the servants of the people.

I think the Referendum was lost when we didn't join the Euro or Schengen. It emphasised our separateness from the EU; I think it was also lost when votes against the EU constitution were ignored, an it was renamed the Lisbon Treaty.
  • Options

Now Labour need real policies*. With Cameron they could just go 'Tory Toff!' Now not so much.

*This presupposes just one 'normal' Labour Party. I suspect we will have one Corbyn Labour with the name and tribal support and one SDP.2 with lots of MPs and no activists. In which case Labour / SDP.2/UKIP will be fighting for 2nd place..
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

Cyclefree said:

I completely agree.

It's far too easy for the country's leadership team to become divorced from the realities of life for normal people. It's hard work keeping your finger on the pulse, but worth doing.
    I think Tim T has posted some interesting stuff on the decision-making process and how taking lots of factors into account often requires an emotional, "gut" response rather than an analytical one. If he's listening in and has any reading suggestions along these lines, I'd be interested.
    I would too.

"Politics ought to be adjusted not to human reasonings but to human nature, of which reason is but a part and by no means the greatest part."

It is one reason why lawyers can often be lousy leaders. They place too great a value on rationality and arguments. But leadership and judgment and getting others to give of their best and persuading others rarely depend just on the strength of an argument. You have to make people feel what you want them to do and that means you need first to understand how they feel about whatever issue you're dealing with. Listening is hard work. In the end, this is what does for PMs. It becomes harder and harder to find the time and space to do the necessary listening. And when they lose touch they make mistakes.
    It's much reviled on here, but Thaler & Sunstein's 'Nudge' is an explicit acknowledgement that people are not rational, utilitarian worker bees. That's why behavioural economics is such an important field.

The UK is going to be poorer for Brexit in the short and medium term. However, it is such a prosperous country, people have instinctively decided its worth that risk.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Blair really did change the Tory party.
  • Options
    Well, it'll be in all of our best interests to have a government that cares about the many rather than the few. Particularly at a time when the opposition is destroying itself. I would hope that people would want to improve the lives' of all, first and foremost because it makes our country better, not just for party political purposes.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Jonathan said:

But not the Labour party it seems.
  • Options
    Is it me or did her husband look a touch like errm err..
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It's unfortunate that he didn't really change the Labour party.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828
    edited July 2016
    I thought her speech was OK.

Her Premiership will be defined by Brexit though. Words are cheep. We need to see a clear plan from her for Brexit and then negotiation/implementation.

It's not even been a month yet since we voted to LEAVE but I've already seen a few posts on here that kind of suggest the vote should essentially be ignored. If that's what Theresa does her Prime Ministership will be short lived. If she means what she say's about Brexit then she can do great things.

The country is watching and waiting.
  • Options

RodCrosby said:

Bloody awful speech.

3/10

Yes and he supports Corbyn, he wants a complete revolution.
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    That was a bit wet, wasn't it?

At least she mentioned leaving the EU...
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,502
    edited July 2016
    Huzzah for Theresa, that speech cheered me up no end.

Surprised anyone heard it over the noise of her parking her tanks on Labour's lawn.
  • Options

Yes quite nice tits for her age........
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    She could be the UKs Merkel
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

She's mentioned that several times....
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176

Well, it'll be in all of our best interests to have a government that cares about the many rather than the few. Particularly at a time when the opposition is destroying itself. I would hope that people would want to improve the lives' of all, first and foremost because it makes our country better, not just for party political purposes.

Where her speech jarred for me is that it implied that Cameron has achieved absolutely nothing towards the things she just spoke passionately about in 6 years as PM. Which I don't think was her intention, she started by saying she would carry on his great work as a great One Nation PM by carrying on the same course. But if I was Dave listening to that, I'd feel a bit miffed....
  • Options
    timmo said:

Keep your eyes peeled for the first May-Raute.
  • Options
    Just realised, Dave has been Tory leader for over a third of my life. Truly the end of an era.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    GIN1138 said:

I thought her speech was OK.

Her Premiership will be defined by Brexit though. Words are cheep. We need to see a clear plan from her for Brexit and then negotiation/implementation.

It's not even been a month yet since we voted to LEAVE but I've already seen a few posts on here that kind of suggest the vote should essentially be ignored. If that's what Theresa does her Prime Ministership will be short lived. If she means what she say's about Brexit then she can do great things.

We're watching and waiting.

The cabinet appointments will be indicative.

Reading the ConHome articles of this Theresa May aide Mr Timothy (mentioned on a previous thread) have reassured me a bit.

http://www.conservativehome.com/author/nick-timothy
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    nunu said:

MaxPB said:

This is just a reheated (same?) version of the Birmingham speech.

Yes but with the added Union part in it I think.
    And given the speed of events, it is not surprising that her message hasn't changed in 48 hours. She set out her vision on Monday - and confirmed that this evening.
  • Options
    nunu said:

RodCrosby said:

Bloody awful speech.

3/10

Yes and he supports Corbyn, he wants a complete revolution.
    I thought that he liked Corbyn purely because he's destroying the Labour party (like Plato, GIN etc). I'm more of a fan of evolution, rather than revolution tbh.
  • Options

But this was never going to happen.... louise told me so...

https://twitter.com/LouiseMensch/status/753273584966049793

Tories will unite quickly, they like winning elections.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

I was caught three ways - that dayglo yellow jacket thing, massive necklace and her cleavage. Like I said, strange style choice.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Jonathan said:

And left not a mark on the Labour party.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    edited July 2016
    jonny83 said:

Very good PM certainly the best probably during my lifetime. Could have gone down as an all time great but now probably isn't the time to really judge his legacy in terms of Europe. Who knows he may be proven right and history may judge him differently (though if that is indeed the case I have no doubt he will be blamed for giving the people the choice in the first place).

Made the Conservative party re-electable again and governed what was one of the best governments during my lifetime in coalition and that was no easy task. Implementation of gay marriage at a time when he went against a large part of his party and membership. 2.5 million more people in work and the significant progress made on the deficit. Winning his party a majority for the first time in over 20 years. He has plenty to be proud of but it's such a shame that he could have done so much more with the talent he had.

Well he's now 49 and Theresa May is 59.

If she does the rest of this term and most of the next, who would be the best possible person to be the next PM?

How about maybe a certain D. Cameron Esq - aged 56 in 2023.
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    nunu said:

Yes quite nice tits for her age........
    It was an interesting outfit choice, finished off with the S&M necklace. My missus brought up the subject of her racy outfits when I was waxing lyrical about TM the other day, so I best tone it down when I get home or else I'm done for when the News comes on later.... :-)
  • Options
    Thanks! Looks like a google doc, wonder if you can extract the URL of that to have it open instead.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Thanks! Looks like a google doc, wonder if you can extract the URL of that to have it open instead.
    Here we go:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UB9x9Ov3X6o4a0rBaX0c1z86CkEpMsgTkXyUUa_0Nvk/pubhtml?widget=true
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,988
    Good evening, everyone.

Just been out so I missed Cameron's departure and May's arrival. Anything noteworthy?
  • Options

Where her speech jarred for me is that it implied that Cameron has achieved absolutely nothing towards the things she just spoke passionately about in 6 years as PM. Which I don't think was her intention, she started by saying she would carry on his great work as a great One Nation PM by carrying on the same course. But if I was Dave listening to that, I'd feel a bit miffed....
    Tbqh even if she didn't mean to imply that, I sympathise with that train of thought. I feel that much of the last government was defined by austerity, which has made life much more harder for working people out there. I feel all and all, that the last government was not a 'One Nation' one. It benefitted demographics that stereotypically vote Tory the most. I know that's not a popular view here on PB, but it's my view.
  • Options

Bye bye EU, bye bye Cameron. Lets now declare Nigel Farage and UKIP as the most successful political insurgency in the Western world in the 21st Century.

UKIP is the most successful single issue party ever.

And they demonstrated that you don't need to win seats to gain influence under FPTP. If you consistently win 10%, with a clear aim in mind, you can throw the system into turmoil.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Jonathan said:

Wishful thinking Jonathan. Tories have been forced to change tack due to events and not least what the referendum exposed. The party may finally have moved beyond Thatcherism though. I'm sure they'll still be just as committed to defending peoples' property.

Does Blair deserve a bit of credit for social progress? Maybe but he's hardly the reason people have come to accept gay marriage.
  • Options

Good evening, everyone.

Just been out so I missed Cameron's departure and May's arrival. Anything noteworthy?

Made a big play about the union. Surely another sign that she's looking to compromise and stay in the single market.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

A younger taller George Burns? He was chuffed to bits.
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753

Steady on.

Germany runs a budget surplus. Under Theresa May does anybody think the national debt WON'T rise to GBP 2 trillion?
  • Options
    Well, Cameron was classy in the leaving. May's speech was very New Labour.

If anyone in the Labour leadership structure has any sense, they'll be very worried. Of course, none of them seem to.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,758
    Sounds like shes on for a clash with wee Mrs Turniphead
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082

Tbqh even if she didn't mean to imply that, I sympathise with that train of thought. I feel that much of the last government was defined by austerity, which has made life much more harder for working people out there. I feel all and all, that the last government was not a 'One Nation' one. It benefitted demographics that stereotypically vote Tory the most. I know that's not a popular view here on PB, but it's my view.
    And many of the superficially 'one nation' policies like Help to Buy were ill-conceived and exacerbated the problems they were supposed to mitigate.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    MikeL said:

jonny83 said:

If she does the rest of this term and most of the next, who would be the best possible person to be the next PM?

I am getting a very welcome Rip van Winkle effect from all this, speaking of ages: I am going to be younger than POTUS and PMOTUK after a spell of being neither.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Good evening, everyone.

Made a big play about the union. Surely another sign that she's looking to compromise and stay in the single market.
    I took it to mean a declaration of war on the SNP tbh.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Colorado - Monmouth Uni

Clinton 48 .. Trump 35

http://monmouth.edu/polling-institute/reports/MonmouthPoll_CO_071316/
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2016
    John_M said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

Charles said:

I completely agree.

I would too.

It's much reviled on here, but Thaler & Sunstein's 'Nudge' is an explicit acknowledgement that people are not rational, utilitarian worker bees. That's why behavioural economics is such an important field.

The UK is going to be poorer for Brexit in the short and medium term. However, it is such a prosperous country, people have instinctively decided its worth that risk.
    Sure, some people weighed up the costs/benefits but not all of the 52% did - not even most of them.

Most of the 52% decided the experts didn't know what they were talking about, liked the sound of £350m a week extra for the NHS and wanted the immigrants to leave.

All this, they were told, would be possible without any cost to them.

Boris, Gove, leadsom and farage traded on their naivety.
  • Options
    Mr. Max, interesting. Could stave off a second Scottish vote, at the risk of causing Conservative ructions.
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    MikeL said:

jonny83 said:

I think he's done, I hope I am wrong because I think he could still offer something. Maybe after a couple of years on the backbenches May may offer him something as his talent is just huge. I can't ever see him being Tory leader or PM again though and I am not sure he would want to either.
  • Options

It might not be popular, but you're correct. Tax cuts for the middle classes, more money for the pensioners. In fairness, it's hard given that 8 years after the crash, we're still £80-odd billion in the hole.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Bye bye EU, bye bye Cameron. Lets now declare Nigel Farage and UKIP as the most successful political insurgency in the Western world in the 21st Century.

If you consistently win 10%, with a clear aim in mind, you can throw the system into turmoil.
    Don't tell the Corbynistas THAT!!!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,828

Who? ;)
  • Options
    timmo said:

That would not be a good thing.
  • Options
    Moses_Moses_ Posts: 4,865
    The unionDivie from thread before last plus one re being made redundant under Labour.

"Bad luck!
    Presumably you'll sympathise with the statistically larger amount of people who lost jobs under Conservative governments of the last 40 years, and feel similarly negative towards that party"

I do, I certainly do feel sympathy. I also wonder why Labour have never left government with unemployment lower than when they took over. Nature of the beast I guess.

:wink:
  • Options
    No wonder the SNP is annoyed. They’ll probably be back, with new variations on old grievances, of course, but for now they are very much yesterday’s news. Sad.

http://reaction.life/snp-just-annoyed-yesterdays-news/
  • Options
    Pennsylvania .. Iowa .. Ohio - Marist/NBC

PA - Clinton 45 .. Trump 36
    IA - Clinton 42 .. Trump 39
    OH - Clinton 39 .. Trump 39

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/polls-clinton-ahead-or-even-midwest-battlegrounds-n608651
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

Pulpstar said:

Heh - Dennis Thatcher was my thought.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Good evening, everyone.

Don't see how that can be won when the SNP have 60% of the country on their side with the government taking action opposed to them.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040

RodCrosby said:

Bloody awful speech.

3/10

LOL!!!!
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Good evening, everyone.

Don't see how that can be won when the SNP have 60% of the country on their side with the government taking action opposed to them.
    But what's the alternative?
  • Options

Nicola Sturgeon’s routine will also not work quite as well against Theresa May as it did against David Cameron, what with him being a polite man and May being a take no crap woman.

Iain Martin....
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    malcolmg said:

A good PM stabbed in the back by people like Plato who a year ago went round asking people to vote for him as PM

Away you halfwit he stabbed himself. Get a life and stop attacking innocent people.
    Serious question, do you suffer from a personality defect?
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

MikeL said:

jonny83 said:

I think he's done, I hope I am wrong because I think he could still offer something. Maybe after a couple of years on the backbenches May may offer him something as his talent is just huge. I can't ever see him being Tory leader or PM again though and I am not sure he would want to either.
    But he would be superb at selling UK plc around the world. Better even than Boris.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    Looking at Cammo's twitter account, am I right to say he's only liked 4 tweets since 2010 and this is the most recent one...

Julian Smith MP ‏@juliansmithmp Jul 11
    Delighted that @TheresaMay2016 is now unopposed for Conservative leader. She is in a different league & will be a great PM.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098
    edited July 2016

Agreed. Let's hope we're both well enough for such a meeting. :)

Peace.

Bung it in you diary, Mr. Jessop, I'll be travelling by train and will have a carer close at hand. You can choose the restaurant and, if you are up to it, the pub crawl. Dinner is on me, so don't stint yourself in the choice of food.

P.S. If we get bored with politics we can always talk about engineering.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,820
    MikeL said:

jonny83 said:

He won't be in parliament in 2023. I think he's been a decent PM, and it'd be nice if he at least gets a chance to serve the country again in the Cabinet, but with only 4 years maximum til the next election, possibly less, the chances of that look very slim since I find it hard to believe he will stand for re-election. There are other, far more tolerable ways for ex-PMs to 'continue to serve#.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

You have to admit the ref result forced us to focus on a country deeply divided in terms of oppurtunities and wealth, what kind of PM can ignore that? And she spoke strongly for the union. What more do you want?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,030
    MaxPB said:

Good evening, everyone.

Yes she will almost certainly do a deal of some form, anyway congratulations to her now she is in No 10 and we shall see what arises
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Pulpstar said:

The actor Richard Wattis
  • Options

Sean_F said:

If you consistently win 10%, with a clear aim in mind, you can throw the system into turmoil.
    Don't tell the Corbynistas THAT!!!
    I should add that doesn't apply if your previous score was 31%.
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Good evening, everyone.

EEA, deal with the IDS types at home.
  • Options
    '''In fairness, it's hard given that 8 years after the crash, we're still £80-odd billion in the hole.''

This is the real problem. The UK can;t pay its way. It just can't. Ozzie couldn't make it work, and neither will Theresa.

Want a sound money government? it'll never happen.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Pulpstar said:

MaxPB said:

Good evening, everyone.

EEA, deal with the IDS types at home.
    Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about indy ref, whereas you were actually talking about the SNP's position on Europe.
  • Options
    saddened said:

malcolmg said:

A good PM stabbed in the back by people like Plato who a year ago went round asking people to vote for him as PM

Away you halfwit he stabbed himself. Get a life and stop attacking innocent people.
    Malcom is Scottish.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    Go for a walk for a couple of hours, come back to find we have a new Prime Minister!!
  • Options
    Mr. Taffys, that's a serious concern. The deficit is still the major issue, yet gets mentioned increasingly rarely.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    JohnO said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Pulpstar said:

The actor Richard Wattis
    Stop, stop, too much sexy!
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,047
    Just listening to May it's a rather platitudinous speech. Didn't seem as good as the one in Birmingham from what I remember. I can see what she's doing, doesn't want her herself being defined as a baby-eating Tory from the off. And we do face an existential threat to the Union.
  • Options
    JackW said:

Pennsylvania .. Iowa .. Ohio - Marist/NBC

PA - Clinton 45 .. Trump 36
    IA - Clinton 42 .. Trump 39
    OH - Clinton 39 .. Trump 39

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/first-read/polls-clinton-ahead-or-even-midwest-battlegrounds-n608651

IMHO, Trump will win Iowa quite easily, even as somewhere like Virginia moves out of reach, as it's now anomalous as a marginal State. It's one of those States like West Virginia or Arkansas that's suddenly swinging sharply to the Reds.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    PB'ers....please stop going out!
  • Options

Good. About time they were actually challenged.
  • Options
    DisraeliDisraeli Posts: 1,106
    Just thinking off the top of my head...
    May could do an "EU lite" deal where we basically just withdraw from the political side of the EU, but retain the Economic & Social links
    Then...
    Offer Scotland a new referendum with the choice
    a) Stay in the UK and accept this deal
    b) Leave the UK and negotiate your own deal.

Would Scotland go for option "b"?
  • Options
    Six months ago David Cameron was dominant. He had saved the Union and won an election, returning the Tory party to a majority position.

George Osborne readied himself for the succession. Meanwhile, Boris Johnson worked to overtake Osborne. The great reformer Michael Gove weighed his options ahead of the referendum. Other ministers, MPs, chums and advisers who had hitched their wagons to the Cameron/Osborne project bustled around enjoying power or proximity to power.

Underneath them, a whole social network – with its own manners, assumptions and habits – whirred away in London and nice parts of the home counties at weekends.

It is all turned to dust now.

http://reaction.life/mays-rise-seals-incredible-destruction-entire-generation-top-tories/
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Pulpstar said:

PlatoSaid said:

Pulpstar said:

The actor Richard Wattis
    I loved him.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

RodCrosby said:

Bloody awful speech.

3/10

Yes RodCrosby is a hard right hanger flogger anti-feminist who denies the Holocaust and loves Trump
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    If Theresa's cabinet is going to match her rhetoric you wouldn't expect Grayling to be in one of the top positions.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    John_M said:

saddened said:

malcolmg said:

Malcom is Scottish.
    No excuse for being a churlish prick. A personality defect is. Just trying to work out if he deserves sympathy or contempt. I'm leaning towards contempt.
  • Options
    ''Mr. Taffys, that's a serious concern. The deficit is still the major issue, yet gets mentioned increasingly rarely. ''

Well May's abandoning austerity, so.....
  • Options
This discussion has been closed.