Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So the changeover begins

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    MontyHallMontyHall Posts: 226
    Sean_F said:

Tonight marks the end of UKIP as a political force - how long till Carswell rejoins the conservative party

That's fine. It seems that UKIP's task is achieved.
    "haha, that's the last we'll hear of Neil Armstrong" - Yuri Gagarin 21.07.69
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100
    Davis, eh? You can't get more serious about Brexit than sending in the SAS!!
  • Options
    stjohnstjohn Posts: 1,778

What type of Brexiteer is David Davis? EEA, Swiss, WTO? Is he generally a sovereignty type, anti-FoM? Big indicator on the direction May is likely to take regarding Brexit.

Davis wrote this article in February.

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/02/david-davis-britain-would-be-better-off-out-of-the-eu-and-heres-why.html
  • Options
    John_M said:
    Comedy Gold. Makes Corbyn look statesmanlike.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,359

Davis and Fox. Interesting. In the brave sense.

Boris. Universal hilarity.

It's actually a good move, stops the loon bags whining.

Plus as predicted earlier, Theresa May has downgraded the job of Foreign Secretary with a Secretaries for Brexit and International Trade
  • Options
    old_labourold_labour Posts: 3,238
    Carola said:

I tipped May first didn't I?

Good to see you posting again.
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Disappointed with Liam Fox as foreign trade minister. He still has many questions to ask over his relationship with Adam Werritty and in my opinion should be nowhere near the ministry of trade. A bad bad appointment.

I expect Mrs May has set out the level of involvement of Mr Werritty as being just a xmas card.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591
    John_M said:

https://twitter.com/Independent/status/753309213024190464

Yes, because we all love referendums. Waiting for Angela to promise two.

Wow some honest politics disregarding the will of the people!
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    RobD said:

hunchman said:

saddened said:

hunchman said:

DaveDave said:

I've never been impressed with David Davis. Waffler.

Absolute rubbish. He's a principled libertarian, comes from a very humble background, understands the ordinary man on the street and has a great sense of humour.
    That's what he thinks he is.

Flouncing then standing again in a very, very, safe seat showed him up to be the self centred egotist he really is.
    His seat was one of the Lib Dem decapitation targets along with our prime minister in Maidenhead!

Jeez the knowledge levels of political history on here are poor amongst certain posters!
    A strategy which failed spectacularly. I think the target seats all saw proportionally larger increases in Tory majorities than other seats.
    Apart from Tim Collins spectacular cock up
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    YEAH YADDA FUCK

OSBORNES GONE

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Don't bottle it up Field Marshall, there's no need to maintain a stiff upper lip now. Tell us how you really feel. :smiley:
    Like TSE has been sucked off by a milking machine :-)

I asked for that and I got it smack between the eyes. Please pass the mind bleach.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,258
    PlatoSaid said:

Sean_F said:

Tonight marks the end of UKIP as a political force - how long till Carswell rejoins the conservative party

That's fine. It seems that UKIP's task is achieved.
    Now time to focus on Labour :smiley:
    Theresa's going to eliminate labour as well as UKIP and in time beat the SNP as they see the big new world outside the EU.

However not too worried about what happens to the Lib Dems
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    midwinter said:

RobD said:

hunchman said:

saddened said:

hunchman said:

DaveDave said:

I've never been impressed with David Davis. Waffler.

Absolute rubbish. He's a principled libertarian, comes from a very humble background, understands the ordinary man on the street and has a great sense of humour.
    That's what he thinks he is.

Flouncing then standing again in a very, very, safe seat showed him up to be the self centred egotist he really is.
    His seat was one of the Lib Dem decapitation targets along with our prime minister in Maidenhead!

Jeez the knowledge levels of political history on here are poor amongst certain posters!
    A strategy which failed spectacularly. I think the target seats all saw proportionally larger increases in Tory majorities than other seats.
    Apart from Tim Collins spectacular cock up
    Well, yeah, but hardly a high profile name!
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    YEAH YADDA FUCK

OSBORNES GONE

Don't bottle it up Field Marshall, there's no need to maintain a stiff upper lip now. Tell us how you really feel. :smiley:

Sounds fun, I had an ex girlfriend who could suck a melon through a hosepipe
    He's gone ! Give us the full 8 gallons Eagles :-)
    Boak!
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    taffys said:

I am musing on Osborne's pre-referendum question...

Are you going to campaign for LEAVE or would you like a career?

HMMMN

:lol:
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    YEAH YADDA FUCK

OSBORNES GONE

You'll miss him.

Once I've recovered, I shall write a weekend thread just for, it is headlined

'After telling you to lay Osborne as next Tory leader, I'm telling you to now BACK Osborne as next Tory leader, and here's why'
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    new thread..............
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    PlatoSaid said:

Arthur S
    The last Foreign Secretary to be promoted from the backbenches was Sir John Simon in November 1931.

He was a party leader (Liberal National) and ex-Attorney General and Home Secretary. He was not a 'backbencher'.

More seriously, what was Eden before his appointment?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,797

It's actually a good move, stops the loon bags whining.

Plus as predicted earlier, Theresa May has downgraded the job of Foreign Secretary with a Secretaries for Brexit and International Trade
    Yeah, essentially Boris, Davis and Fox are doing different strands of the same job.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    RobD said:

Expect a big kerfuffle about a new hereditary peerage in the Resignation Honours...

Blimey!
    Would have to be a speaker or a ex PM by recent precedent

Cameron or Bercow or Blair...?

(suspect that Gorbals Mick and Gordon Brown wouldn't be interested, and Callaghan is past caring, while it doesn't strike me as Major's style).

David Cameron, Earl of Whitney?
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754

ROFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

CORBYN !

EAGLE !

SMITH !

Braver than sticking your cock in a blender with an intermittent power pulse

• Options

NEW THREAD NEW THREAD

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@sundersays: Brexiteers have the global portfolios (Johnson, Foreign; Davis, Brexit; Fox, Trade, tbc) & ex-Remainers have the home front - Adam Boulton

Eric Pickles for Ministry of Food?
    (Was a WWII Dept, Lord Woolton and Woolton pie),
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,922

CORBYN !

EAGLE !

SMITH !

I sense you may have taken an ale or two.

• Options

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    YEAH YADDA FUCK

OSBORNES GONE

You'll miss him.

Once I've recovered, I shall write a weekend thread just for, it is headlined

'After telling you to lay Osborne as next Tory leader, I'm telling you to now BACK Osborne as next Tory leader, and here's why'
    No really I wont.

I dont expect much in truth but at least were in with a chance as opposed to guaranteed shitkicking death
  • Options
    hunchman said:

Disappointed with Liam Fox as foreign trade minister. He still has many questions to ask over his relationship with Adam Werritty and in my opinion should be nowhere near the ministry of trade. A bad bad appointment.

:+1
  • Options
    saddened said:

ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    YEAH YADDA FUCK

OSBORNES GONE

Boak!
    Made me wonder what farmers get up to when they are bored and put me right off my glass of milk
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    John_M said:

What type of Brexiteer is David Davis? EEA, Swiss, WTO? Is he generally a sovereignty type, anti-FoM? Big indicator on the direction May is likely to take regarding Brexit.

He did a piece on ConHome the other day. He covers the bases well, imo.

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/07/david-davis-trade-deals-tax-cuts-and-taking-time-before-triggering-article-50-a-brexit-economic-strategy-for-britain.html

Interesting. Nothing on the city and he talks about preserving employment legislation and manufacturing. Looks like free trade in goods not services as a compromise for border controls. The banks won't be happy.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    hunchman said:

John_M said:

No the impendent headline is wrong he is saying a second ref on the brexit deal not on the E.U.
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

jonny83 said:

AndyJS said:

Devastating interview for Labour on Channel 4 News at the moment, with Johanna Baxter.

Labour NEC woman? Looks absolutely terrified
    On the edge of a breakdown. And she's a tiny little thing too.
    Welcome to politics...
  • Options

CORBYN !

EAGLE !

SMITH !

I sense you may have taken an ale or two.

Stone cold SO

Osbornophroia :-)
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Expect a big kerfuffle about a new hereditary peerage in the Resignation Honours...

But the successor wouldn't get to sit in the Lords - unless elected at a Hereditary by-election.
    Even newly minted hereditaries can't sit. When the 99 Act was passed the hereditaries which were the first holders of their title were offered life peerages.
    But if he's giving Major a Hereditary surely it would be on the basis he did go into the Lords immediately - not sure how the formality would work - maybe some way of getting round it?
    Can Herititaries resign their places in the Lords like appointees can?
    Yes. These days a peerage (be it life or hereditary) and membership of the Lords are linked, but separate things. The peerage gives you the right to sit (though with a hereditary peerage you need to be voted in as one of the '90' - the other 2 hereditaries are the ex officio office holders) but you can terminate your membership too, without effecting your peerage. (This is in stark contrast to the situation 60 years ago - hence Winston Churchill's refusal to become Duke of London.)
    Although Churchill only turned down London because Randolph thought he had a glittering political career ahead of him

*snort*
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Scott_P said:

Liam Fox International Trade ?

No longer is his title Disgraced Former Minister Liam Fox Who Resigned in Disgrace.

Now it's Disgraced Current Minister Who Previously Resigned in Disgrace.
  • Options
    hunchmanhunchman Posts: 2,591

hunchman said:

I expect Mrs May has set out the level of involvement of Mr Werritty as being just a xmas card.
    And neither should Poju Zabludowicz, although he conducts his affairs under the name Chaim Zabludowicz:

http://www.theguardian.com/politics/2011/oct/14/liam-fox-final-straw-was-money-trail
  • Options
    IndigoIndigo Posts: 9,966
    edited July 2016
    nunu said:

hunchman said:

John_M said:

No the impendent headline is wrong he is saying a second ref on the brexit deal not on the E.U.
    In which case he isnt dishonest, just an idiot, the deal will be take it or leave it (ie WTO).
  • Options
    MikeKMikeK Posts: 9,053
    I gather that TSE is deciding wether a quick exit with strychnine is preferable to a slow one with the pink pills. :D
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

John_M said:

He did a piece on ConHome the other day. He covers the bases well, imo.

http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/07/david-davis-trade-deals-tax-cuts-and-taking-time-before-triggering-article-50-a-brexit-economic-strategy-for-britain.html

Interesting. Nothing on the city and he talks about preserving employment legislation and manufacturing. Looks like free trade in goods not services as a compromise for border controls. The banks won't be happy.
    Given May's left wing stance in the speech, perhaps she's going to shaft city types on the basis that they have noone else to vote for anyway?
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    MikeK said:

I gather that TSE is deciding wether a quick exit with strychnine is preferable to a slow one with the pink pills. :D

Strychnine is slow and painful. If you want quick, go fo cyanide.
  • Options
    shiney2shiney2 Posts: 672

Today Carswell, on tv, said: " I've grown out of being a Conservative".

This discussion has been closed.