Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So the changeover begins

Comments

• Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,933
    Mr. M, I know of no-one who is good at political betting who has suggested such a bet.

Incidentally, my mid-season ramble is up, including some spread betting suggestions:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/the-2016-mid-season-review.html
  • JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,211
    JackW said:

Expect a big kerfuffle about a new hereditary peerage in the Resignation Honours...

Lord O'Reilly of Hersham in the County of Surrey ....

What's not to like? .. :smile:
    Public Service at its most noble.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,941
    MikeL said:

Expect a big kerfuffle about a new hereditary peerage in the Resignation Honours...

But the successor wouldn't get to sit in the Lords - unless elected at a Hereditary by-election.
    Even newly minted hereditaries can't sit. When the 99 Act was passed the hereditaries which were the first holders of their title were offered life peerages.
  • BromBrom Posts: 3,760

JackW said:

Hammond into No 10 ....

No 11 I assume
    He's gone into number 10 to be told by the woman who should be moving into number 10 but is actually going to number 11 that he's got a top job and is moving into number 10.
  • Expect a big kerfuffle about a new hereditary peerage in the Resignation Honours...

John Major?
    Mr. X, the lesson of the Praetorian Guard is not to have a Praetorian Guard. They probably killed more emperors than they saved (hence Basil II creating the Varangian Guard instead).
  • EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Pulpstar said:

Essexit said:

Lots of speculation about what Theresa's speech means. Frankly I doubt her rhetoric now will translate into much more than continued tinkering at the edges à la Cameron, the only thing that came across clearly from it was a kind of bland centrism; not necessarily a bad thing but she won't be a radical or serious reformer of any kind.

Also, PaddyPower is offering 10/11 on Corbyn to win the leadership election. Judging by Facebook and Twitter it's now widely known that Corbynites can get round the £25 cost by joining Unite for a much smaller sum, and people are really wound up about the NEC trying to move the goalposts. Would anyone care to talk me out of putting £50 or so down?

You might be able to get over Evens on Betfair.
    Nope, 20/21. Thanks though.
  • RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Smith out get on Eagle

Corbyn then, nailed on....
    Anyone got a source for Smith? He's just "launched" apparently, although the knives were quickly out.
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/marieleconte/owen-smith-told-a-female-party-leader-she-was-invited-on-tv?utm_term=.fiew9dOv9#.yb2EwQnlw
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    saddened said:

AndyJS said:

Six degrees of separation: Theresa May is the MP for Bray, the Fat Duck is in Bray, AA Grill is a restaurant critic, Amber Rudd was married to AA Gill, Amber Rudd is about to be appointed to a top job in Theresa May's cabinet.

AA Grill, wins best typo of July by a country mile.
    Lol.
  • taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    ''No, I don't think we will ever get to stage where all professions are 50% men and 50% women. But I want to ensure that there are no barriers to both sexes attaining success in any profession.''

Its like a building site on my journey into Waterloo. Construction everywhere. But there's one thing I notice. All the people working on those sites are men. All of 'em. All weathers, covered in sh8te, in the p8ssing rain, all men.

So here's the deal. When 50% of those workers are women, you can have 50% of the professions.

Because right now it looks to me like women don;t want 50% of all jobs. They only want 50% of the best jobs.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    edited July 2016

John Major?
    Blair.... - if you really want to kick the Labour party it's what you would do....
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723

Mr. Owls, if Smith's out, Eagle's 9 on Ladbrokes, Corbyn 1.72.

Arghhh it was only there 5 seconds FFS.

Posting in haste lesson learnt
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911
    MaxPB said:

Who are the protestors? Some union rent-a-mob?

Close, Brexit rent-a-mob
  • I thought it was something of an all things to all men (and women) kind of speech, just as long as you were under-privileged. Nothing remotely aspirational about it. So for me it was disappointing, but not half as disappointing as Hammond becoming Chancellor as is being widely rumoured.
  • The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    John_M said:

John_M said:

Would you mind defining "feminist" as you see it please? It's often a movable feast. This is not presaging me picking a fight with you :).

*Typing nervously....*

For me, a feminist is someone who believes in the equality of the sexes. That is how I interpret feminism. I guess, you could say most people believe in the equality of the sexes. But often what people 'define' as equality can differ from person to person. And then there are some that may say they believe in equality, but hold sexist (or misogynistic) views. I know several men and women that claim to believe in 'equality' for example but are very critical of women's sex lives and choices in comparison to men. Likewise, these same people also seem to look down on stay at home dads (where they would not in regard to stay at home mums) and are deeply uncomfortable with men working with children.

I'll sight one issue as an example of where I stand as a feminist. Am I someone dogmatic about equality of outcome? No, I don't think we will ever get to stage where all professions are 50% men and 50% women. But I want to ensure that there are no barriers to both sexes attaining success in any profession.
    Thank you. I don't think someone born male can fairly claim to be a feminist; it feels slightly impertinent. However, I think we'll have finally made progress when the gender of a new PM is not noteworthy, and we do not debate the gender split in a political cabinet or board of directors.
    Personally (as a woman) I wouldn't mind if man identified as a feminist. And yes I agree that we'll be at a point of great progress when it's not newsworthy that the PM is a woman, or that there are several women on a board of directors.
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831

John Major?
    That seems most likely

But as a new hereditary wouldn't get an automatic seat in the Lords, I can't see it as a big problem
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,408
    GIN1138 said:

marke09 said:

JoncraigSKY ‏@joncraig 26m26 minutes ago

Reliable Tory MP: Philip Hammond Chanc, Justine Greening For Sec, Amber Rudd Home Sec, Anne Milton Ch Whip, Chris Grayling Brexit Minister.

Brexit's dead in the water then?

Brexit is the water - the only question is where the current of Brexit will take us.
    ''and we do not debate the gender split in a political cabinet or board of directors.''

I notice we don;t debate the gender split of people shovelling sh8t for a living.

That is because they are all men, and women don;t want those jobs.
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,789

Rebekah Brooks?
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    edited July 2016
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

But the successor wouldn't get to sit in the Lords - unless elected at a Hereditary by-election.
    Even newly minted hereditaries can't sit. When the 99 Act was passed the hereditaries which were the first holders of their title were offered life peerages.
    But if he's giving Major a Hereditary surely it would be on the basis he did go into the Lords immediately - not sure how the formality would work - maybe some way of getting round it?
  • Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Mr. X, the lesson of the Praetorian Guard is not to have a Praetorian Guard. They probably killed more emperors than they saved (hence Basil II creating the Varangian Guard instead).

But if you have one (which you probably do, because it enthroned you in the first place) getting from having one, to not having one, is problematic.
  • eekeek Posts: 24,797
    RodCrosby said:

Smith out get on Eagle

Anyone got a source for Smith? He's just "launched" apparently, although the knives were quickly out.
    https://www.buzzfeed.com/marieleconte/owen-smith-told-a-female-party-leader-she-was-invited-on-tv?utm_term=.fiew9dOv9#.yb2EwQnlw
    owls and he's corrected himself
    Mr. Owls, the Verstappen [I'll stop mentioning it one day] bet was only 251 for about five minutes. If you don't move swiftly, opportunities can be missed.

Anyway, whilst I hope Eagle wins, and am flat if Corbyn does, I didn't stick an utterly vast sum on, so don't feel too bad. *cough*buymybookinDecembertomakeupforit*cough*
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

But if he's giving Major a Hereditary surely it would be on the basis he did go into the Lords immediately - not sure how the formality would work - maybe some way of getting round it?
    You give them a hereditary peerage and a life peerage at the same time.
    edited July 2016
    If Hammond is appointed chancellor, average age of top two jobs will be 60 compared to 47 earlier today.
  • Expect a big kerfuffle about a new hereditary peerage in the Resignation Honours...

John Major?
    That seems most likely

But as a new hereditary wouldn't get an automatic seat in the Lords, I can't see it as a big problem
    Earl of Brixton?
  • RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    AndyJS said:

marke09 said:

JoncraigSKY ‏@joncraig 26m26 minutes ago

Reliable Tory MP: Philip Hammond Chanc, Justine Greening For Sec, Amber Rudd Home Sec, Anne Milton Ch Whip, Chris Grayling Brexit Minister.

3 out of 4 for women.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who?_Who?_Ministry

This isn't going to end well.
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sky News - Boris into No 10
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,414
    BORIS
  • jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Hmm Boris arriving at no.10 on the Sky feed...
    Tipped here first that a former PM would receive a hereditary gong.. just got the wrong former PM :p
  • Boris going in! Minister for Brexit?
    Personally (as a woman) I wouldn't mind if man identified as a feminist. And yes I agree that we'll be at a point of great progress when it's not newsworthy that the PM is a woman, or that there are several women on a board of directors.

What would be newsworthy is if there are several women in a gang of people digging drains or clearing out sewers.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,723
    eek said:

RodCrosby said:

Smith out get on Eagle

owls and he's corrected himself
    3 times
    JackW said:

Governor of Southern Thule :)
    Imagine Boris as Foreign Secretary. Jesus Christ!
    taffys said:

''No, I don't think we will ever get to stage where all professions are 50% men and 50% women. But I want to ensure that there are no barriers to both sexes attaining success in any profession.''

Its like a building site on my journey into Waterloo. Construction everywhere. But there's one thing I notice. All the people working on those sites are men. All of 'em. All weathers, covered in sh8te, in the p8ssing rain, all men.

So here's the deal. When 50% of those workers are women, you can have 50% of the professions.

Because right now it looks to me like women don;t want 50% of all jobs. They only want 50% of the best jobs.

You could also say that men want the best jobs as well. So should they be denied equality? After all, I could also say that I don't see many men working as cleaners or as maids.

I do think there is an issue that many jobs are frequently associated with one gender (construction being one of them). I think that this needs to change and we need to stop seeing jobs in tandem with only one gender, as it does affect the career routes/choices of young people.
  • Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    BoJo, Chief whip ?
    JackW said:

Oh no. I fear something senior is in the offing.
    Scott_P said:

BoJo, Chief whip ?

To keep Gove in line.
  • If she makes Boris CoE, I am emigrating.
  • RobD said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Maybe Major does not want the right to attend the Lords?
  • ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Brom said:

JackW said:

Hammond into No 10 ....

No 11 I assume
    He's gone into number 10 to be told by the woman who should be moving into number 10 but is actually going to number 11 that he's got a top job and is moving into number 10.
    Given that the last three PMs have lived in number 11 because it's a bigger flat and thus better for their children, wouldn't the Mays live in number 10?
    MikeL said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Can Herititaries resign their places in the Lords like appointees can?
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,281
    edited July 2016
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Ah OK.

Can't imagine he would give Major a Hereditary only - as that would be less use to him than a Life - as he may have to wait ages for a by-election.

RobD said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Maybe Major does not want the right to attend the Lords?
    Yeah, that was only if the appointment was both an honour for being a former PM but Cameron also wanted another Tory in the Lords.
  • PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2016
    Boris "doesn't do detail" Johnson as home secretary?

That would be a brilliantly cruel appointment.

She'd destroy him in cabinet week after week.

The final humiliation?
    @BBCVickiYoung: George Osborne has just left via the back gate at Downing Street #reshuffle
  • paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461

Mr. M, I know of no-one who is good at political betting who has suggested such a bet.

Incidentally, my mid-season ramble is up, including some spread betting suggestions:
    http://enormo-haddock.blogspot.co.uk/2016/07/the-2016-mid-season-review.html

I used to spread bet F1 regularly several years ago. until I lost £1100 on a qualifying match bet (damn you heinz harald frentzen). I still won on the season but that scared me into my current average bet size of about £3.
  • SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976

If she makes Boris CoE, I am emigrating.

Calm down dear, Boris is merely returning the dagger to No10...
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,969
    George Osborne has left Downing Street via the back gate.

I'm taking it as a sign that he's been been sacked
    edited July 2016
    Boris - SoS Brexit ? ... or Party Chairman.

Don't see him in one of the Great Offices of State.

Ozzie seen leaving by back gate of Downing Street - BBC
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    jonny83 said:

Imagine Boris as Foreign Secretary. Jesus Christ!

Foreign Sec needs to spend half his life on a plane. Not sure Mrs. Boris would be in favour of that!
  • MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,921

I have been saying that would happen for several months...
    The hereditary peerage is for Andy Coulson.
    Mr. 64, with limited funds, I expect to be pretty cautious (assuming I have any left, this year has, one bet aside, not been great).
  • MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,603
    OllyT said:

MaxPB said:

Who are the protestors? Some union rent-a-mob?

Close, Brexit rent-a-mob
    Some other kind of idiots then.
    kle4 said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

I think so, by the 2014 act, I assume there would be a by-election in such an event.

I guess it was a possibility, and still is despite that exit method, but it was strange how certain some were he would get a top job. He went all out on the referendum and was a rival to May, without much popular appeal - a prime candidate for dismissal.
    People would be happy to have Boris in charge of negotiating Brexit? I honestly wouldn't...
    Scott_P said:

@BBCVickiYoung: George Osborne has just left via the back gate at Downing Street #reshuffle

Not a reshuffle. It's a new administration.

No way...
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004

Resigned from government
  • Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091

Bahahaha. How the mighty fall.
  • PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,842
    Osborne resigns

KERCHING

Hammond in

KERCHING
    Hammond Chancellor
  • CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    edited July 2016
    kle4 said:

MikeL said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Yes. These days a peerage (be it life or hereditary) and membership of the Lords are linked, but separate things. The peerage gives you the right to sit (though with a hereditary peerage you need to be voted in as one of the '90' - the other 2 hereditaries are the ex officio office holders) but you can terminate your membership too, without effecting your peerage. (This is in stark contrast to the situation 60 years ago - hence Winston Churchill's refusal to become Duke of London.)
    jonny83 said:

People would be happy to have Boris in charge of negotiating Brexit? I honestly wouldn't...

I find the prospect of him as foreign secretary appealing, heading up Brexit much less so. I think it's a good idea to give him a top job, he's integral to the wider appeal of the Conservatives and she needs him onside.
  • Scott_P said:

typical.
    kle4 said:

I guess it was a possibility, and still is despite that exit method, but it was strange how certain some were he would get a top job. He went all out on the referendum and was a rival to May, without much popular appeal - a prime candidate for dismissal.
    To be honest, I would've thought he'd be given a token job (Environment Secretary or something), in the spirit of the famous metaphor involving tents and pissing.
    Nicola Sturgeon:Congratulations to the new Prime Minister @theresa_may - despite our differences, I hope we can build a constructive working relationship

While there's much they can do working together, it's a pretty limited thing I should think - one wants to destroy the other's nation after all (in favour of their own). The other will just destroy the other by accident.
    RobD said:

No way...
    Nope, back to the bar for me

RobD said:

No way...
    Nope, back to the bar for me
    Surely it's for our JohnO? :D

Resigned from government
    Is that the same kind of 'resignation' as when football managers leave 'by mutual consent' rather than being sacked?
    Hopefully Foreign secretary for Boris. I think he'd be good at it.
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 66,758

Rather below your usual standard of humour TSE.

At least, I hope you were joking...
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,004
    kle4 said:

Resigned from government
    Is that the same kind of 'resignation' as when football managers leave 'by mutual consent' rather than being sacked?
    Resigning before being sacked
    MaxPB said:

I can see that producing many comedic situations....
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Tim can finally rejoice at the demise of Osborne
    Amber Rudd into No 10
    Laura Kuenssberg ‏@bbclaurak 3m3 minutes ago
    Press release also says 'Osborne has resigned from government'
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    Osborne out via the back door. How typical...
    Danny565 said:

kle4 said:

To be honest, I would've thought he'd be given a token job (Environment Secretary or something), in the spirit of the famous metaphor involving tents and pissing.
    How much trouble can he really cause though? He's not a rabble rousing type, he's not going to be an entertaining booking for tv shows to criticise the government, he's not leading any rebellions, even if he knows where bodies are buried.

Only early 40s though, if he wants he could stick this out long enough to become viable again in 10 years.
    MaxPB said:

Yes and interesting that Yvette Cooper on Sky now suggesting she expects an election this year. The appointment of Boris in a top job would give that suggestion plenty of credence.
  • grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Osborne was a bit of a fuckip in the end. Three omnishambles budgets, he can't seriously have expected to survive?
    Hmph, I have to say I'm a lot more sceptical of May's talk of "an economy for everyone", if she's just put arch tax-dodger Hammond in charge of the economy.
    Oh how the mighty have fallen. 'Master strategist' George Osborne now on the backbenches. I won't miss him.
  • ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Whats the odds for Justine Greening as next Tory leader (or indeed, next PM?) - if she ends up getting an office of state, she will have a decent chunk of experience by the time Theresa stands down in 2023/4, she comes across well on TV, one nation type. And I think the thought of electing a 3rd female PM, second consecutive, and a lesbian, would be really rubbing it in to Labour. In with a good chance?
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,697
    Danny565 said:

Rejoice. Rejoice. Rejoice.
  • TCPoliticalBettingTCPoliticalBetting Posts: 10,819
    edited July 2016

Osborne was a bit of a fuckip in the end. Three omnishambles budgets, he can't seriously have expected to survive?

True but Cameron never sacked him. Osborne sacked himself.

Oh how the mighty have fallen. 'Master strategist' George Osborne now on the backbenches. I won't miss him.

Strategic retreat...

Tim can finally rejoice at the demise of Osborne

He'll be back. I think May will want a couple if years to distance herself from the Cameroon wing, but eventually they will be brought back in from the cold.
    Danny565 said:

Hmph, I have to say I'm a lot more sceptical of May's talk of "an economy for everyone", if she's just put arch tax-dodger Hammond in charge of the economy.

Who better than someone who knows the loopholes? :p
  • anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    GIN1138 said:

Danny565 said:

Rejoice. Rejoice. Rejoice.
    Off to a good start!
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,614
    MaxPB said:

Would Mrs. Boris be too keen to have him in a job where he spends half his life away from home?
  • SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    If greening gets home sec, first openly gay holder of one of the great offices of state?
  • saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245
    kle4 said:

JackW said:

Oh no. I fear something senior is in the offing.
    Boris cannot be given a post that requires an attention span longer than the life span of a fruit fly.
  • grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Osborne resigned. In the face. With a gun.
    @JeremyClarkson: Oh for fuck's sake. May and Hammond? Really? We will end up thick and lost.

MaxPB said:

I can see that producing many comedic situations....
    Boris doing Boris things on jaunts around the world.
This discussion has been closed.