Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So the changeover begins

Comments

• Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Pulpstar said:

Essexit said:

Lots of speculation about what Theresa's speech means. Frankly I doubt her rhetoric now will translate into much more than continued tinkering at the edges à la Cameron, the only thing that came across clearly from it was a kind of bland centrism; not necessarily a bad thing but she won't be a radical or serious reformer of any kind.

Also, PaddyPower is offering 10/11 on Corbyn to win the leadership election. Judging by Facebook and Twitter it's now widely known that Corbynites can get round the £25 cost by joining Unite for a much smaller sum, and people are really wound up about the NEC trying to move the goalposts. Would anyone care to talk me out of putting £50 or so down?

You might be able to get over Evens on Betfair.
    If I had to guess, fair odds for Corbyn to win would be 1.6-1.8. So 1.9-2.0 seems too close to the fair odds and it seems riskier than general election bets (do Labour have other Black Swans to come? http://www.comres.co.uk/corbyn-black-swan-or-sitting-duck/)

GE2015 had seats with real odds of (I thought) 1.05-1.10 offering odds of 1.33-1.50 about 24 hours before the declaration. Plus the SNP phenomenan. It seemed nicely low risk 'betting', more like 'investment'. The next GE can't come soon enough.

If you're a high risk gambler, sorry to have put you off!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,915
    Boris Johnson for HOME ?!?!

He's entirely unsuited to the role.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    RobD said:

MikeL said:

Expect a big kerfuffle about a new hereditary peerage in the Resignation Honours...

But the successor wouldn't get to sit in the Lords - unless elected at a Hereditary by-election.
    Even newly minted hereditaries can't sit. When the 99 Act was passed the hereditaries which were the first holders of their title were offered life peerages.
    Who was left by then? There can't have been many first generation hereditaries still alive by 1999, given I think there were only four or five after 1965 and only 1 after 1979.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,964

The hereditary peerage is for Andy Coulson.

I said earlier. It's Blair because I can imagine he would want it and the fun it would cause
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Boulton reckoning Rudd to foreign and Boris to home. That would be hugely surprising.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721

kle4 said:

George Osborne has left Downing Street via the back gate.

I'm taking it as a sign that he's been been sacked

Resigned from government
    Is that the same kind of 'resignation' as when football managers leave 'by mutual consent' rather than being sacked?
    Resigning before being sacked
    That's not really resigning in my book. Formally it is, but he's presumably been advised he's getting nothing (or nothing worthwhile) by May's team, so it's not a positive decision to resign, it's a flimsy attempt to save face and both sides to pretend there wasn't about to be an acrimonious sacking.
  • Options
    anotherDaveanotherDave Posts: 6,746
    JackW said:

Amber Rudd into No 10

Is there a guillotine in the back garden?
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    @JDMcCaffreySKY: Interestingly we are back to HM Government announces via press release rather than via Twitter.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited July 2016
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Expect a big kerfuffle about a new hereditary peerage in the Resignation Honours...

But the successor wouldn't get to sit in the Lords - unless elected at a Hereditary by-election.
    Even newly minted hereditaries can't sit. When the 99 Act was passed the hereditaries which were the first holders of their title were offered life peerages.
    Who was left by then? There can't have been many first generation hereditaries still alive by 1999, given I think there were only four or five after 1965 and only 1 after 1979.
    Quite a few royal ones, I think one actually took a life peerage, maybe the husband of Margaret? Caused a bit of a stir.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,273
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Resigned from government
    Is that the same kind of 'resignation' as when football managers leave 'by mutual consent' rather than being sacked?
    Resigning before being sacked
    That's not really resigning in my book. Formally it is, but he's presumably been advised he's getting nothing (or nothing worthwhile) by May's team, so it's not a positive decision to resign, it's a flimsy attempt to save face and both sides to pretend there wasn't about to be an acrimonious sacking.
    Agree with you
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

If greening gets home sec, first openly gay holder of one of the great offices of state?

ahem (buffs nails).
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    edited July 2016
    eek said:

The hereditary peerage is for Andy Coulson.

I said earlier. It's Blair because I can imagine he would want it and the fun it would cause
    Surely he couldn't be given a Peerage one week after Chilcot.
  • Options
    Mortimer said:

I have been saying that would happen for several months...
    TSE said otherwise. Mortimer I also believe you forecast a LEAVE victory?
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    Pulpstar said:

It would either make or break his political career.

Make 3/1
    Break 1/3
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    Pulpstar said:

What role that he is suited for would he deign to take? Culture secretary too minimal for his ego? He's not deserving of a truly big job in my opinion.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Hopefully Foreign secretary for Boris. I think he'd be good at it.

Would Mrs. Boris be too keen to have him in a job where he spends half his life away from home?
    Well, she might get worried if he has to lead a trade mission to, err, Asia.
  • Options
    Moderators, was there an article on the results of the PB competition on the referendum?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    Scott_P said:

@JeremyClarkson: Oh for fuck's sake. May and Hammond? Really? We will end up thick and lost.

LOL, class!
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    Pulpstar said:

Maybe May thinks it's a way to further boost her own reputation for competence. When Boris crashes and burns in the job within 3 months, she can turn round and say "now you know how great I was to survive there 6 years".
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Trump moving in. I'm back into a 4 figure cashout situation.

There's speculation on PEC [not at all a Trump-friendly site] that there's been a genuine shift to him, and he could be ahead in a week or two.

He certainly continues to outperform in the swing-states, as I have noted for several months.
    A popular vote win for the Crooked One, but an EC loss also remains far more likely than the reverse.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Amber Rudd - Home Secretary with Grayling as Foreign Secretary or vice versa ?
  • Options
    Proper awkward if Rudd and Johnson are sitting outside May's office together.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Johnson could be offered DPM....
  • Options
    Damien Green into Downing Street
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    MaxPB said:

Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

Hopefully Foreign secretary for Boris. I think he'd be good at it.

Would Mrs. Boris be too keen to have him in a job where he spends half his life away from home?
    Well, she might get worried if he has to lead a trade mission to, err, Asia.
    Or Uganda
  • Options
    Boris at the home office. What the fuck? Seems like a crazy way to run a government.
  • Options
    @JasonGroves1: Boris Johnson + Amber Rudd in No 10 for talks on Cabinet jobs - will he offer to give her a lift home?
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Essexit said:

Lots of speculation about what Theresa's speech means. Frankly I doubt her rhetoric now will translate into much more than continued tinkering at the edges à la Cameron, the only thing that came across clearly from it was a kind of bland centrism; not necessarily a bad thing but she won't be a radical or serious reformer of any kind.

Also, PaddyPower is offering 10/11 on Corbyn to win the leadership election. Judging by Facebook and Twitter it's now widely known that Corbynites can get round the £25 cost by joining Unite for a much smaller sum, and people are really wound up about the NEC trying to move the goalposts. Would anyone care to talk me out of putting £50 or so down?

You might be able to get over Evens on Betfair.
    If I had to guess, fair odds for Corbyn to win would be 1.6-1.8. So 1.9-2.0 seems too close to the fair odds and it seems riskier than general election bets (do Labour have other Black Swans to come? http://www.comres.co.uk/corbyn-black-swan-or-sitting-duck/)

GE2015 had seats with real odds of (I thought) 1.05-1.10 offering odds of 1.33-1.50 about 24 hours before the declaration. Plus the SNP phenomenan. It seemed nicely low risk 'betting', more like 'investment'. The next GE can't come soon enough.

If you're a high risk gambler, sorry to have put you off!
    The odds on Truro (1-4) and some other 1-8 shots were particularly mad.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Quite a few royal ones, I think one actually took a life peerage, maybe the husband of Margaret? Caused a bit of a stir.
    Royal peers don't sit in the Lords, although those ennobled to marry female ones (Linley, Snowden) presumably can. Were they the ones?

Edit - do I mean Linley? What was Mark Philips created?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Boris at the home office. What the fuck? Seems like a crazy way to run a government.

Is that confirmed?
  • Options

If she makes Boris CoE, I am emigrating.

Calm down dear, Boris is merely returning the dagger to No10...
    I was just having an early meltdown, my apologies.

She'll either stitch him up with Brexit or Home - or get him out of the country with For Sec.

Hope Justine Greening gets a decent post, I think she's one of the most interesting people the Tories have.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,804
    Boris would be better in a "symbolism" job like "Deputy Prime Minister" I'd have thought...
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    AndyJS said:
    I suggested that a couple of weeks ago. He'd suit a role like that.
  • Options

Johnson could be offered DPM....

Not a bad shout. Surely not Home Secretary or brexit. Got to be DPM or foreign.
  • Options
    wasdwasd Posts: 276
    Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Maybe May thinks it's a way to further boost her own reputation for competence. When Boris crashes and burns in the job within 3 months, she can turn round and say "now you know how great I was to survive there 6 years".
    Perhaps she's just going to make him wait in the corridor for five hours and, when it's all over, offer him the opportunity to vacuum up and turn off the lights?
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Boris SoS4Brexit?
  • Options
    RobD said:

MaxPB said:

Is that confirmed?
    No, but I hope not.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Royal peers don't sit in the Lords, although those ennobled to marry female ones (Linley, Snowden) presumably can. Were they the ones?

No, they cannot automatically - Royal peers have hereditary peerages and so would need to be elected in a hereditary peer by-election.
  • Options
    RodCrosby said:

There's speculation on PEC [not at all a Trump-friendly site] that there's been a genuine shift to him, and he could be ahead in a week or two.

He certainly continues to outperform in the swing-states, as I have noted for several months.
    A popular vote win for the Crooked One, but an EC loss also remains far more likely than the reverse.

For US voters it must be an awful choice. Mrs Clinton vs Mr Trump. You'd be looking for a third option.
  • Options
    MortimerMortimer Posts: 13,942

Mortimer said:

I have been saying that would happen for several months...
    TSE said otherwise. Mortimer I also believe you forecast a LEAVE victory?
    I did. But on a much lower turnout, it must be said.
  • Options
    David Davis in Downing Street?
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    If Boris is going to the Home Office then the only reason why I can think May is sending him there is to finish him off once and for all. It used to be known as the place where careers die.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

No, they cannot automatically - Royal peers have hereditary peerages and so would need to be elected in a hereditary peer by-election.
    I meant before 1999! That was the point of the original comment.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

Royal peers could sit in the Lords until the 99 Act, at which point Snowden took the offer of a life peerage. Not sure if he sat before the 99 Act. These were the four life peers created:

Toby Austin Richard William Low, 1st Baron Aldington (Baron Low), Frederick James Erroll, 1st Baron Erroll of Hale (Baron Erroll of Kilmun), Francis Aungier Pakenham, 7th Earl of Longford, 1st Baron Pakenham (Baron Pakenham of Cowley) and Antony Armstrong-Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon (Baron Armstrong-Jones)
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Amber Rudd is the same age as Andrea Leadsom but looks about 20 years younger.
  • Options
    DPM or Brexit for Boris.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664
    Do the skills required for Mayor of London not transfer comparatively well to the Home Office?
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

If Boris is going to the Home Office then the only reason why I can think May is sending him there is to finish him off once and for all. It used to be known as the place where careers die.

He could approve the use of the water cannon Sadiq Khan is selling...
  • Options

Whats the odds for Justine Greening as next Tory leader (or indeed, next PM?) - if she ends up getting an office of state, she will have a decent chunk of experience by the time Theresa stands down in 2023/4, she comes across well on TV, one nation type. And I think the thought of electing a 3rd female PM, second consecutive, and a lesbian, would be really rubbing it in to Labour. In with a good chance?

She does not have much charm and very dull.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,964
    edited July 2016
    wasd said:

Danny565 said:

Pulpstar said:

Perhaps she's just going to make him wait in the corridor for five hours and, when it's all over, offer him the opportunity to vacuum up and turn off the lights?
    Could it be just to say:

"Look what you could have won" in a Jim Bowen style....
  • Options
    PlatoSaid said:

AndyJS said:
    I suggested that a couple of weeks ago. He'd suit a role like that.
    He's also been appearing on US telly recently, hasn't he? Sounds like a good idea.
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

That would do her no favours at all, and show an error in her judgement.
  • Options

Boris SoS4Brexit?

Ambassador to Turkey?
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    GIN1138 said:

Boris would be better in a "symbolism" job like "Deputy Prime Minister" I'd have thought...

PMQs would be fun when May is away, the thought of Johnson vs Corbyn is mind boggling!
  • Options
    eek said:

Could it be just to say:

Imagine what's happening in the IDS household right now...
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

RodCrosby said:

For US voters it must be an awful choice. Mrs Clinton vs Mr Trump. You'd be looking for a third option.
    Clinton or Trump? Time to beam back up to the mothership. They should both lose.
  • Options
    Ishmael_X said:

Do the skills required for Mayor of London not transfer comparatively well to the Home Office?

Only if you want to purchase water canons.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Devastating interview for Labour on Channel 4 News at the moment, with Johanna Baxter.
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    Having got Amber Rudd at £10 @ ~10/1 I have sold off slightly at 1/4. Not a bad result!
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Devastating interview for Labour on Channel 4 News at the moment.

Can you give us a brief summary? Watching the BBC feed at the moment.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Who is being interviewed any why is it devastating ?
  • Options

DamianVerified account
    @damiangreenmp
    @ChrisMasonBBC @ronbrown01 No I'm not!
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    If Boris is Home Secretary, I'll believe that May really wants to kill off his political career.
  • Options
    @allisonpearson: May I be the first to point out that Philip May, the PM's consort, is a dead ringer for Arthur Askey. For younger followers: a comedian.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

eek said:

Could it be just to say:

Imagine what's happening in the IDS household right now...
    As Nick Cohen memorably put it, it's heartening to know he has egg made of shit all over his face made of shit.

• Options
    edited July 2016
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

Can you give us a brief summary? Watching the BBC feed at the moment.
    Johanna Baxter, NEC member, extremely upset about the intimidation she's been receiving recently from Corbyn supporters. I've never seen worse publicity for a political party before.
  • Options
    CornishBlueCornishBlue Posts: 840
    edited July 2016
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

ydoethur said:

RobD said:

MikeL said:

I meant before 1999! That was the point of the original comment.
    Yes, they could (including the Prince of Wales & Earl of Chester) though I don't believe did.

It's a bit like how the Queen could vote in a general election, but doesn't for constitutional convention reasons.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,754
    YEEEEEAAAH

Osborne out

Brilliant !
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Thrak said:

GIN1138 said:

PMQs would be fun when May is away, the thought of Johnson vs Corbyn is mind boggling!
    Doesn't Jezz have to hand it over to his deputy? So it'd been Boris Vs Tom Watson (unless Tom has resigned in the last minute?)
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    AndyJS said:

Devastating interview for Labour on Channel 4 News at the moment, with Johanna Baxter.

Labour NEC woman? Looks absolutely terrified
  • Options
    @seanjonesqc: Hearing beautiful warm comforting rumours that Grieve might be next Lord Chancellor
  • Options
    jonny83 said:

And of course the new PM knows exactly where all the skeletons and scandals are in the Home Office!
  • Options

YEEEEEAAAH

Osborne out

Brilliant !

Am raising a cup of tea right now...
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Scott_P said:

@allisonpearson: May I be the first to point out that Philip May, the PM's consort, is a dead ringer for Arthur Askey. For younger followers: a comedian.

Ay-Thang-Yew!
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

wasn't he a very old fashioned comedian?
  • Options
    BBC - Michael Fallon into Downing Street
  • Options
    @SamuelHortiPW: Just been told by govt source that every single Downing Street adviser has gone. "It's pretty drastic. There's a lot of expertise [there]"
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

@seanjonesqc: Hearing beautiful warm comforting rumours that Grieve might be next Lord Chancellor

Excellent choice
  • Options
    PongPong Posts: 4,693
    edited July 2016

If Boris is Home Secretary, I'll believe that May really wants to kill off his political career.

If he wants to be taken seriously, then he'll have to prove himself.

He put himself out there as a more suitable PM than Theresa - now is his chance to put the hard work in to prove he's up to it.

It would hardly be an unfair appointment.
  • Options
    Samuel Horti ‏@SamuelHortiPW 1h1 hour ago
    Just been told by govt source that every single Downing Street adviser has gone. "It's pretty drastic. There's a lot of expertise [there]"

If you're going to do it, better it be done immediately.
  • Options
    Michael Fallon entering No. 10.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Excellent choice
    Please let it be so
  • Options
    Surely Fallon to Home or Foreign?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    Scott_P said:

@allisonpearson: May I be the first to point out that Philip May, the PM's consort, is a dead ringer for Arthur Askey.

Oh what a glorious thing to be....
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819

Whats the odds for Justine Greening as next Tory leader (or indeed, next PM?) - if she ends up getting an office of state, she will have a decent chunk of experience by the time Theresa stands down in 2023/4, she comes across well on TV, one nation type. And I think the thought of electing a 3rd female PM, second consecutive, and a lesbian, would be really rubbing it in to Labour. In with a good chance?

She does not have much charm and very dull.
    People say the same about May and it didn't hurt. Depends if the next Tory election will be 'continuity' or 'time for a change'
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494
    GIN1138 said:

Thrak said:

GIN1138 said:

Doesn't Jezz have to hand it over to his deputy? So it'd been Boris Vs Tom Watson (unless Tom has resigned in the last minute?)
    Ah, yes. Oh well, even that would be fun.
  • Options

RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Excellent choice
    Please let it be so
    Him or Mogg. :D
  • Options
    JackW said:

All these people going "in" and so far only Osborne has come "out" (via ther back door)

What the hell is Mrs May doing in there? :open_mouth:
  • Options
    RobD said:

Scott_P said:

Excellent choice
    No. He was trying to wriggle out of Brexit the other day. No government role.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

All these people going "in" and so far only Osborne has come "out" (via ther back door)

Betfair.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

She's got three doors.....
  • Options
    @tnewtondunn: Breaking: George Osborne was sacked. Theresa May told him she didn't want him in her Cabinet. Wow.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

YEEEEEAAAH

Osborne out

Brilliant !

Great news isn't it. I'm afraid I was a far later convert to the OsborneOut campaign; that last budget struck me as awful.

When IDS is schooling you in politics...
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

Betfair.
    LOL
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

At the moment? Probably just stacking the bodies.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    jonny83 said:

AndyJS said:

Labour NEC woman? Looks absolutely terrified
    On the edge of a breakdown. And she's a tiny little thing too.
  • Options
    RobD said:

GIN1138 said:

JackW said:

She's got three doors.....
    Meat pie shop opening next door?

• Options
    Scott_P said:

@tnewtondunn: Breaking: George Osborne was sacked. Theresa May told him she didn't want him in her Cabinet. Wow.

Blimey...
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Sandpit said:

Michael Fallon entering No. 10.

Minister for Dead Cats. RIP, Larry.
This discussion has been closed.