Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So the changeover begins

Comments

• Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503

Six months ago David Cameron was dominant. He had saved the Union and won an election, returning the Tory party to a majority position.

George Osborne readied himself for the succession. Meanwhile, Boris Johnson worked to overtake Osborne. The great reformer Michael Gove weighed his options ahead of the referendum. Other ministers, MPs, chums and advisers who had hitched their wagons to the Cameron/Osborne project bustled around enjoying power or proximity to power.

Underneath them, a whole social network – with its own manners, assumptions and habits – whirred away in London and nice parts of the home counties at weekends.

It is all turned to dust now.

http://reaction.life/mays-rise-seals-incredible-destruction-entire-generation-top-tories/

Higher casualty rate than subalterns in 1916 Flanders. Politics is a bloody business.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    Hard to get my head around the fact the referendum was 2 weeks and 6 days ago.
  • Options
    The_ApocalypseThe_Apocalypse Posts: 7,830
    edited July 2016
    John_M said:

It might not be popular, but you're correct. Tax cuts for the middle classes, more money for the pensioners. In fairness, it's hard given that 8 years after the crash, we're still £80-odd billion in the hole.

Osborne's budgets/statements towards the end of Cameron's premiership were particularly divisive. And after all of that austerity, the government's economic policy has now been thrown into chaos as a result of Brexit.

@williamglenn Agreed.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited July 2016
    saddened said:

John_M said:

saddened said:

malcolmg said:

A good PM stabbed in the back by people like Plato who a year ago went round asking people to vote for him as PM

Away you halfwit he stabbed himself. Get a life and stop attacking innocent people.
    Serious question, do you suffer from a personality defect?
    Malcom is Scottish.
    No excuse for being a churlish prick. A personality defect is. Just trying to work out if he deserves sympathy or contempt. I'm leaning towards contempt.
    If you stopped stalking his posts you wouldn't have to feel anything about him.
  • Options
    nunu said:

Am I the only one who didn't always have my attention on her face :blush:

Yes quite nice tits for her age........
    And we got a nice glimpse of cl****e I'm sure it wouldn't affect my vote but then as the quote from Burke above stated, reason is but one facet of human nature and she appears to have sussed that lol.

Still, I never thought I would ever look at a UK prime minister and things like that come into my mind, certainly never did with the Blessed Margaret.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    Bizarre BBC News interview in Swindon - on a trampoline!
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,969
    Mr. B2, it's sad, but sometimes pb.com has to be bereft of my presence :p
  • Options
    jonny83jonny83 Posts: 1,261
    Artist said:

If Theresa's cabinet is going to match her rhetoric you wouldn't expect Grayling to be in one of the top positions.

Grayling seems like a natural choice for heading the Brexit team.
  • Options
    SirBenjaminSirBenjamin Posts: 238
    Philip May looks like the dreadful husband from Giles Coren's 'Back in time for dinner' series.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited July 2016
    May just appointed David Cameron as foreign secretary.

Only joking lol
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    Text of May's speech:

http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/07/theresa-mays-first-speech-prime-minister/

Following the referendum, we face a time of great national change. And I know because we’re Great Britain that we will rise to the challenge. As we leave the European Union, we will forge a bold, new, positive role for ourselves in the world, and we will make Britain a country that works not for a privileged few, but for every one of us.
  • Options
    Only joking lol
  • Options
    edited July 2016

May just appointed David Cameron as foreign secretary

:o really???

ya bastard....
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

saddened said:

John_M said:

saddened said:

malcolmg said:

A good PM stabbed in the back by people like Plato who a year ago went round asking people to vote for him as PM

Away you halfwit he stabbed himself. Get a life and stop attacking innocent people.
    Malcom is Scottish.
    No excuse for being a churlish prick. A personality defect is. Just trying to work out if he deserves sympathy or contempt. I'm leaning towards contempt.
    Stop stalking me you wierdo.
  • Options
    marke09marke09 Posts: 926
    JoncraigSKY ‏@joncraig 26m26 minutes ago

Reliable Tory MP: Philip Hammond Chanc, Justine Greening For Sec, Amber Rudd Home Sec, Anne Milton Ch Whip, Chris Grayling Brexit Minister.
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    So - how many blue Labour MPs are joining Mrs. May's new centre ground tory party?

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,633

May just appointed David Cameron as foreign secretary.

Only joking lol

It'd be nice on both their parts if he did have a major role right away. But likely not wanted by either.
  • Options

We won't cope. We just won't....

There'll be the most horrific historical revisionism in full swing by the time you get back.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,437
    marke09 said:

Reliable Tory MP: Philip Hammond Chanc, Justine Greening For Sec, Amber Rudd Home Sec, Anne Milton Ch Whip, Chris Grayling Brexit Minister.

POGWAS if true
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

RodCrosby said:

Bloody awful speech.

3/10

Not right-wing enough? You do (seem) to support Trump afterall....
    Yes RodCrosby is a hard right hanger flogger anti-feminist who denies the Holocaust and loves Trump
    Out of all those things it was the Holocaust denial which I found most shocking. Seeing those posts, I couldn't quite believe my eyes. Being anti-feminist on PB is not that shocking. I think I may be only feminist on this site!

• Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

So - how many blue Labour MPs are joining Mrs. May's new centre ground tory party?

If one crossed the floor there might be quite a few
  • Options

Is the Dry but not Obsessed with the Gays and Europe New Tory Party in negotiations with May? :D
  • Options
    Mr. 09, if so, quite the promotion for Greening.

Some say she might be the next prime minister.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    marke09 said:

Poor old Gideon.
  • Options

0. Apart from anything else, Cameron's Tory party was already pitching for the centre.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 39,966
    edited July 2016
    saddened said:

saddened said:

John_M said:

saddened said:

malcolmg said:

Malcom is Scottish.
    Wierdo?
    Internet rule 1, if you can't spell it, you can't call it, sport.
  • Options

Not as bizarre as trainspotting live and the sun running a front page exclusive on it and having full frontal pictures of class 66 locos inside.....
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,214
    marke09 said:

Be a shame if Mark Harper, current Chief Whip, was sacked. Maybe promotion to Cabinet beckons....
  • Options

I realllly hope something will be done on Heathrow, but this suggests a fudge will be coming?
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176
    Disraeli said:

Just thinking off the top of my head...
    May could do an "EU lite" deal where we basically just withdraw from the political side of the EU, but retain the Economic & Social links
    Then...
    Offer Scotland a new referendum with the choice
    a) Stay in the UK and accept this deal
    b) Leave the UK and negotiate your own deal.

Would Scotland go for option "b"?

I suspect there is too much of a chance they would for that to be a remotely palatable option.
  • Options

Mr. Taffys, that's a serious concern. The deficit is still the major issue, yet gets mentioned increasingly rarely.

Tackling it was already being abandoned - without the LDs in a coalition to vote for it, the Tories don't have a majority to take any more difficult decisions on it, and people like IDS were implying cutting things was bollocks now anyway, not necessary.
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Nice that there'll be a few token men in May's flap fest.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,223
    edited July 2016

Your absences always coincide with events that keep the rest of us tied to indoors.

At least change your avatar? It is revolting.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,153
    Disraeli said:

May could do an "EU lite" deal where we basically just withdraw from the political side of the EU, but retain the Economic & Social links
    Then...

Judging by what a senior SNP MP person told me last week - in confidence - I think they would go for option (a).

• Options

saddened said:

saddened said:

John_M said:

saddened said:

malcolmg said:

Malcom is Scottish.
    Wierdo?
    Internet rule 1, if you can't spell it, you can't call it, sport.
    Still stalking?
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,576
    @DavidAllenGreen: You may doubt sincerity of what she said, but hard for any sensible person to disagree with content of May's speech.

Lurch to the centre.

May's centrist rhetoric should terrify Labour. They need to get their act together.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Disraeli said:

Then...

Judging by what a senior SNP MP person told me last week - in confidence - I think they would go for option (a).

Clarke's question and Cammo's answer at PMQs was instructive, I thought?
  • Options
    Scrapheap_as_wasScrapheap_as_was Posts: 10,059
    RobD said:

Is the Dry but not Obsessed with the Gays and Europe New Tory Party in negotiations with May? :D
    we may be - early days yet.

Requires those headbangers beyond repair like IDS to be sat next to Cash on the backbenches for the duration.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,286
    Surely May needs to ensure she doesn't have to resign if Scotland votes for Independence?
  • Options
    Mr. D, apparently her constituency would be affected negatively by a new runaway, so...

Mr. Mark, one stands ever ready to refute the misunderstandings and revisionism of those who fundamentally fail to grasp classical history :p
  • Options

Jobabob said:

RodCrosby said:

Bloody awful speech.

3/10

Yes RodCrosby is a hard right hanger flogger anti-feminist who denies the Holocaust and loves Trump
    Out of all those things it was the Holocaust denial which I found most shocking. Seeing those posts, I couldn't quite believe my eyes. Being anti-feminist on PB is not that shocking. I think I may be only feminist on this site!

Would you mind defining "feminist" as you see it please? It's often a movable feast. This is not presaging me picking a fight with you :).
  • Options

@DavidAllenGreen: You may doubt sincerity of what she said, but hard for any sensible person to disagree with content of May's speech.

Lurch to the centre.

May's centrist rhetoric should terrify Labour. They need to get their act together.

@euanmccolm: sign my petition to say theresa may's speech was rubbish and everyone has to ignore it.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,799
    Jobabob said:

RodCrosby said:

Bloody awful speech.

3/10

He does however, have an excellent record of political prediction.
  • Options

Lurch to the centre.

No, we need Labour to exit left, asap, so that the stage can be occupied by a potential alternative government more suited to the current century rather than the last.
  • Options

Jobabob said:

RodCrosby said:

Bloody awful speech.

3/10

Er hello..... you're not.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    Bye Dave. It's been average.

Please don't stay in touch.
  • Options

Osborne's budgets/statements towards the end of Cameron's premiership were particularly divisive.

They were particularly inept. He ended up turning 180 degrees on a raft of issues. If they had been his initial positions, he would have looked quite progressive. As it was, they - when linked with his End of Days take on Brexit - terminally weakened him.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sean_F said:

IMHO, Trump will win Iowa quite easily, even as somewhere like Virginia moves out of reach, as it's now anomalous as a marginal State. It's one of those States like West Virginia or Arkansas that's suddenly swinging sharply to the Reds.

I think not.

Iowa is my GOP fools gold state II - A state that looks tight during the campaign but trends to the Democrats at the death. Demographically it is also edging blue too. Look out for the local Anne Selzer state polls.

Pennsylvania is GOP fools gold state I - Although it is the only state that is trending GOP, albeit at a snails pace, it regularly tempts the GOP to flatter it before blowing a raspberry at it on election day.
  • Options
    EssexitEssexit Posts: 1,956
    Lots of speculation about what Theresa's speech means. Frankly I doubt her rhetoric now will translate into much more than continued tinkering at the edges à la Cameron, the only thing that came across clearly from it was a kind of bland centrism; not necessarily a bad thing but she won't be a radical or serious reformer of any kind.

Also, PaddyPower is offering 10/11 on Corbyn to win the leadership election. Judging by Facebook and Twitter it's now widely known that Corbynites can get round the £25 cost by joining Unite for a much smaller sum, and people are really wound up about the NEC trying to move the goalposts. Would anyone care to talk me out of putting £50 or so down?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    marke09 said:

3 out of 4 for women.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,437

Lurch to the centre.

I actually thought it was a good speech. Of course, speeches are different to actions, but it was quite a confident pitch. The problem for Dave was that there was always a nagging problem that when he talked about opportunity and the few vs the many, everyone was aware of his background. I don't think that made him a bad politician or PM, but May did come across (whether rightly or wrongly) a bit more sincerely on that front, I think.

Let's see how she does.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Disraeli said:

Then...

I haven't seen it. What was said?

• Options
    Cyclefree said:

Disraeli said:

Then...

Would their voters?

Honestly, I've assumed for some time Scotland was a lost cause to the combined UK, hence why Brexit was less of a risk, but if they could accept an EU lite deal (better to be a Brexit lite, in terms of terminology) as reason to stay in the UK, I would be ecstatic.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    AndyJS said:

marke09 said:

3 out of 4 for women.
    All state school apart from that idiot Rudd

• Options

RobD said:

we may be - early days yet.

Requires those headbangers beyond repair like IDS to be sat next to Cash on the backbenches for the duration.
    I'm looking forward to seeing IDS face after we Brexit and the min of ag announces the UK replacement for the CAP subsidies and he discovers that rich landowners will - in line with PM Mays speech get not a penny under the new regime.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    AndyJS said:

marke09 said:

3 out of 4 for women.
    Blimey, PM is bad enough, 3 more in high office is just rubbing Harriet’s nose in it.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,313
    AndyJS said:

marke09 said:

3 out of 4 for women.
    Amber Rudd for Home Secretary.

Um.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Six degrees of separation: Theresa May is the MP for Bray, the Fat Duck is in Bray, AA Grill is a restaurant critic, Amber Rudd was married to AA Gill, Amber Rudd is about to be appointed to a top job in Theresa May's cabinet.
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    marke09 said:

No job for Mr/Mrs Reliable Tory MP? With a name like that, how could they be overlooked?

I know Tory can be a last name, but I suspect some sort of puritan heritage with the first name Reliable. Siblings are Sensible Tory, Radical Tory and Compassionate Tory.

• Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    Expect a big kerfuffle about a new hereditary peerage in the Resignation Honours...
  • Options

Expect a big kerfuffle about a new hereditary peerage in the Resignation Honours...

Blimey!
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,903
    Essexit said:

Lots of speculation about what Theresa's speech means. Frankly I doubt her rhetoric now will translate into much more than continued tinkering at the edges à la Cameron, the only thing that came across clearly from it was a kind of bland centrism; not necessarily a bad thing but she won't be a radical or serious reformer of any kind.

Also, PaddyPower is offering 10/11 on Corbyn to win the leadership election. Judging by Facebook and Twitter it's now widely known that Corbynites can get round the £25 cost by joining Unite for a much smaller sum, and people are really wound up about the NEC trying to move the goalposts. Would anyone care to talk me out of putting £50 or so down?

You might be able to get over Evens on Betfair.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

IanB2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Disraeli said:

Then...

I don't have a transcript to hand, but the gist of it was: Clarke "what reassurance can you provide about the terms of our Brexit?", Cammo: "my advice to my successor is that we should stay as close to the EU as possible".
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Lurch to the centre.

No, we need Labour to exit left, asap, so that the stage can be occupied by a potential alternative government more suited to the current century rather than the last.
    Dare I say it but she is moving towards a european style Christian Democrat raft of policies.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    edited July 2016
    Wrong post sorry
  • Options

Not as bizarre as trainspotting live and the sun running a front page exclusive on it and having full frontal pictures of class 66 locos inside.....
    Whatever next? Live twitching? Hosted by Ken Clarke?
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737
    Jobabob said:

RodCrosby said:

Bloody awful speech.

3/10

And, worst of all, votes Lib Dem...
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133
    Sean_F said:

Jobabob said:

RodCrosby said:

Bloody awful speech.

3/10

He does however, have an excellent record of political prediction.
    Yes, he's much better on the future than the past.
  • Options
    Mr. B2, change my avatar?

Blasphemy!

It's from the cover of Bane of Souls (by me). I use it on Twitter as well, and occasionally elsewhere, and prefer to have a consistent avatar.

[I do wonder if the octo-lemur are orchestrating chaos whenever I happen to be out of the castle...]

Mr. kle4, I agree. But it's a strategic mistake not to cut the deficit as much as possible.
  • Options
    Peston has spent the whole day appearing in the back of BBC live shots.

What a professional...
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Smith out get on Eagle

Was he ever in?
  • Options

Lord Dodgy of Dubious - Coulson??
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Laura K keeps saying the Govt Majority is 12.

Why does she keep counting SF within the Opposition - they will not turn up so the actual Majority is 16 (once outstanding by-election is held).
  • Options

Mr. B2, change my avatar?

Mr. kle4, I agree. But it's a strategic mistake not to cut the deficit as much as possible.

Well, quite, but the people won't accept any more, and the MPs don't have the strength to make us.
  • Options

Smith out get on Eagle

Corbyn then, nailed on....
  • Options
    Essexit said:

I would be careful. By the time the interminable legal proceedings afterwards have been exhausted you may be six feet under so never get your payment
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Essexit said:

I thought you needed to be in an affiliated union for 12 months so how does that work?
  • Options
    taffystaffys Posts: 9,753
    Theresa hun - there's no money
  • Options
    TheWhiteRabbitTheWhiteRabbit Posts: 12,387
    RodCrosby said:

Smith out get on Eagle

Was he ever in?
    not sure what BJO really means... nothing on Twitter.

(He launched this morning)
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    Justin's Greening, foreign sec? Interesting.
  • Options
    Paul_BedfordshirePaul_Bedfordshire Posts: 3,632
    edited July 2016
    MikeL said:

Laura K keeps saying the Govt Majority is 12.

Why does she keep counting SF within the Opposition - they will not turn up so the actual Majority is 16 (once outstanding by-election is held).

And nearer 40 on any issues the DUP, UUP and Carswell support
  • Options

I never expect bit kerfuffle over honours - I expect the same old tired complaints about how honour X shows the whole system is discredited, it's automatic. So it'd have to be a big one to actually cause interest.
  • Options
    John_M said:

Would you mind defining "feminist" as you see it please? It's often a movable feast. This is not presaging me picking a fight with you :).

*Typing nervously....*

For me, a feminist is someone who believes in the equality of the sexes. That is how I interpret feminism. I guess, you could say most people believe in the equality of the sexes. But often what people 'define' as equality can differ from person to person. And then there are some that may say they believe in equality, but hold sexist (or misogynistic) views. I know several men and women that claim to believe in 'equality' for example but are very critical of women's sex lives and choices in comparison to men. Likewise, these same people also seem to look down on stay at home dads (where they would not in regard to stay at home mums) and are deeply uncomfortable with men working with children.

I'll sight one issue as an example of where I stand as a feminist. Am I someone dogmatic about equality of outcome? No, I don't think we will ever get to stage where all professions are 50% men and 50% women. But I want to ensure that there are no barriers to both sexes attaining success in any profession.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

May I first join with all who have thanked the Prime Minister for the statesmanlike leadership that he has given to our party and to the country for the past six years? I thank him particularly for the debating eloquence and also the wit and humour that he has always brought to Prime Minister’s questions on Wednesdays. Although, no doubt, he will have plans for a slightly more enjoyable and relaxed Wednesday morning and lunchtime in the future, may I ask that he will nevertheless still be an active participant in this House as it faces a large number of problems over the next few years? As no two people know what Brexit means at the moment, we need his advice and statesmanship as much as we ever have.

PM

I thank my right hon. and learned Friend for his very kind remarks. I remember that one of the toughest conversations I had in politics was when I was Leader of the Opposition and I was trying to get him to join my Front Bench. He was on a bird-watching holiday in Patagonia; it was almost impossible to persuade him to come back.

Not many people know this, but my right hon. and learned Friend’s first act as Chancellor of the Exchequer was to fire me as a special adviser. I am proud of the fact that one of my first acts was to appoint him to my Cabinet in the coalition Government. The then Deputy Prime Minister will join me in saying that my right hon. and learned Friend provided great wisdom, thoughtfulness and ballast at a time of national difficulty with the advice that he gave us. He is not always the easiest person to get hold of—Tory modernisation has never quite got as far as getting Ken Clarke to carry a mobile phone. He did briefly have one, but he said, “The problem is that people keep ringing me on it.” In opposition, I seem to remember that we had to move our morning meeting to accommodate his 9 o’clock cigar.

I will watch these exchanges from the Back Benches. I will miss the roar of the crowd and I will miss the barbs from the Opposition, but I will be willing you on. When I say “willing you on”, I do not just mean willing on the new Prime Minister at this Dispatch Box, or indeed just willing on the Government Front Bench and defending the manifesto that I helped to put together. I mean willing all of you on, because people come here with huge passion for the issues they care about and with great love for the constituencies that they represent. I will also be willing on this place. Yes, we can be pretty tough, and we test and challenge our leaders—perhaps more than some other countries—but that is something we should be proud of, and we should keep at it. I hope that you will all keep at it, and I shall will you on as you do.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    kle4 said:

marke09 said:

No job for Mr/Mrs Reliable Tory MP? With a name like that, how could they be overlooked?

I know Tory can be a last name, but I suspect some sort of puritan heritage with the first name Reliable. Siblings are Sensible Tory, Radical Tory and Compassionate Tory.

It would be surprising if David Davis doesn't get anything decent given his kiss and make up with May. It would be a decent bit of red meat thrown to leavers like myself if he gets a top job as I have full confidence he will make the best of Brexit.
  • Options

But the successor wouldn't get to sit in the Lords - unless elected at a Hereditary by-election.
  • Options

Lord Blair?
  • Options

Lord O'Reilly of Hersham in the County of Surrey ....

What's not to like? .. :smile:
  • Options
    Mr. Owls, if Smith's out, Eagle's 9 on Ladbrokes, Corbyn 1.72.
  • Options
    Hammond into No 10 ....
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821
    Apologies wrong end of stick
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Jobabob said:

RodCrosby said:

Bloody awful speech.

3/10

Er hello..... you're not.

I'm glad it's not just me. I'm also glad a poster held in such good esteem on PB is a feminist :)
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Mr. Owls, ahem. Hope Smith doesn't win then, just put a little on Eagle with a covering Corbyn bet.

Edited extra bit: easy to make mistakes (I'm always wary of posting sudden F1 changes), I know.
  • Options
    GeoffMGeoffM Posts: 6,071
    edited July 2016

Do they? Name one reputable* tipster who has ever dared suggest it?

*(Successful sporting tips will be taken into account when judging this criteria)
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,251
    JackW said:

Hammond into No 10 ....

No 11 I assume
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Six degrees of separation: Theresa May is the MP for Bray, the Fat Duck is in Bray, AA Grill is a restaurant critic, Amber Rudd was married to AA Gill, Amber Rudd is about to be appointed to a top job in Theresa May's cabinet.

AA Grill, wins best typo of July by a country mile.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,793
    marke09 said:

Brexit's dead in the water then?

• Options

John_M said:

*Typing nervously....*

For me, a feminist is someone who believes in the equality of the sexes. That is how I interpret feminism. I guess, you could say most people believe in the equality of the sexes. But often what people 'define' as equality can differ from person to person. And then there are some that may say they believe in equality, but hold sexist (or misogynistic) views. I know several men and women that claim to believe in 'equality' for example but are very critical of women's sex lives and choices in comparison to men. Likewise, these same people also seem to look down on stay at home dads (where they would not in regard to stay at home mums) and are deeply uncomfortable with men working with children.

I'll sight one issue as an example of where I stand as a feminist. Am I someone dogmatic about equality of outcome? No, I don't think we will ever get to stage where all professions are 50% men and 50% women. But I want to ensure that there are no barriers to both sexes attaining success in any profession.
    Thank you. I don't think someone born male can fairly claim to be a feminist; it feels slightly impertinent. However, I think we'll have finally made progress when the gender of a new PM is not noteworthy, and we do not debate the gender split in a political cabinet or board of directors.
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

Mr. D, apparently her constituency would be affected negatively by a new runaway, so...

Mr. Mark, one stands ever ready to refute the misunderstandings and revisionism of those who fundamentally fail to grasp classical history :p

I think ancient history teaches two eternal and immutable truths. The first applies to dictators only, and is: you must keep the praetorian guard paid up to date. The second derives from Athens, and is that even if you start holding all the trumps, direct (not representative) democracy guarantees decade after decade of disaster and misery followed by the failure of the state. It is a shame Boris the classicist never mentioned the second lesson to Cameron when the referendum idea was floated.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,692
    Cyclefree said:

Disraeli said:

Then...

We've been politicking non stop about the constitution since the start of the independence campaign in 2012. People want a quieter life. Sleeping dogs probably providing Theresa May is reasonably circumspect. The SNP rhetoric will continue of course.
This discussion has been closed.