Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So the changeover begins

SystemSystem Posts: 11,016
edited July 2016 in General

imagepoliticalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So the changeover begins

politicalbetting.com is proudly powered by WordPress
with "Neat!" theme. Entries (RSS) and Comments (RSS).

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited July 2016
    Vale Dave.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,371
    edited July 2016
    Right now I'm doing my best to not cry like a disgraced televangelist
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626
    He's a class act and will be missed
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Security like Celtic.
  • Options
    DaemonBarberDaemonBarber Posts: 1,626

I'm doing my best to not cry like a disgraced televangelist

Permission for top lip to wobble; granted.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961
    edited July 2016
    Go Cam! (in the good way!)
  • Options

Phew....
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    Live scenes from inside Buckingham Palace

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sVEY5AL5zzk
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    A good PM stabbed in the back by people like Plato who a year ago went round asking people to vote for him as PM
  • Options
    Tim_BTim_B Posts: 7,669
    In 1970 I stood there in Downing St watching Wilson leave and Heath arrive. In those days Downing St was open and you could walk in from Whitehall and down the steps at the back without hindrance.

Cameron is a class act.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024
    edited July 2016

A good PM stabbed in the back by people like Plato who a year ago went round asking people to vote for him as PM

He could've campaigned for Leave. That was his own choice. Besides you don't campaign for a PM you campaign for a local MP that's why May doesn't need to call an election.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,803
    Will Sam Cam have any parting shots for media like Cherie did?
  • Options
    ThreeQuidderThreeQuidder Posts: 6,133

The tragedy of it is, he did it to himself.

Nobody made him do a half-arsed renegotiation.
    Nobody made him attempt to sell his half-arsed renegotiation as the best thing since sliced bread.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    edited July 2016
    Class must run in the family. Sam Cam has been an exemplary PM’s wife throughout .
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,261
    If only he'd have remained neutral in the EUref campaign, he would still be PM.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046

The problem for me with so much of new labour and the Lib Dems is how so many of them only really object to Ukip and the Tory right. I simply can't understand how a Lib Dem can think Cameron has been a good PM.
  • Options
    nunu said:

He could've campaigned for Leave. That was his own choice.
    and the Conservative Party had no official position, so very hard to view that as a backstab.
  • Options
    Now we're following the team coach to Wembley :lol:
  • Options
    MarkSeniorMarkSenior Posts: 4,699
    nunu said:

He campaigned for what he thought ( and time will show ) was best for the country .
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914
    nunu said:

He could've campaigned for Leave. That was his own choice. Besides you don't campaign for a PM you campaign for a local MP that's why May doesn't need to call an election.
    The entire referendum was his choice...
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

This.
  • Options

nunu said:

He campaigned for what he thought ( and time will show ) was best for the country .
    We'll never know what might have been, we just have to make the most of it now.
  • Options
    HurstLlamaHurstLlama Posts: 9,098

Nobody made him attempt to sell his half-arsed renegotiation as the best thing since sliced bread.
    Exactly. He tried to play the Brits for fools. His downfall was entirely self-inflicted.
  • Options

If only he'd have remained neutral in the EUref campaign, he would still be PM.

True.
    Someone on PB did warn him in an article about that Harold Wilson matter.........
  • Options
    Bob__SykesBob__Sykes Posts: 1,176

I'm really quite emotional about all this. I have ranted and railed at times, but I was "with him" generally from day 1 when Howard announced he was quitting. That's 11 years ago, and that's more than a quarter of my lifetime.

What a stupid, stupid waste of a generally sound Premiership.
  • Options
    ThrakThrak Posts: 494

This.
    This, also.
  • Options
    If he'd campaigned for Leave, he'd have won it by a landslide and would have been untouchable.
  • Options
    Thrak said:

This.
    This, also.
    That.
  • Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

If he'd campaigned for Leave, he'd have won it by a landslide and would have been untouchable.

He doesn't believe in leaving the EU.

• Options
    JobabobJobabob Posts: 3,807

nunu said:

Quite right.
  • Options

Maybe Osborne persuaded him it was the smart thing to do? Ironic?
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    RobD said:

Thrak said:

This.
    This, also.
    That.
    These.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited July 2016
    Well, clearly the best PM of the past half-century, apart from Maggie of course, despite a spot of trouble at the end. Still, can't be sentimental: politics is a ruthless game. On to the next one, let's hope she's as good. I'm quite optimistic, I think she's a good fit for the challenges ahead. She will be very much her own woman. It won't be Continuity Cameron in style, personnel or policy. We shall see how it turns out.
  • Options
    David_EvershedDavid_Evershed Posts: 6,506

I'm really quite emotional about all this. I have ranted and railed at times, but I was "with him" generally from day 1 when Howard announced he was quitting. That's 11 years ago, and that's more than a quarter of my lifetime.

Don't forget he was leaving anyway and would not have reach the end of this term.
  • Options
    nunununu Posts: 6,024

Exactly. He tried to play the Brits for fools. His downfall was entirely self-inflicted.
    Exactly. Like SeanT said in the end you don't fuck with the British.
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Indeed, it's a waste.

Maybe he'll be back.
  • Options

He wanted his legacy to include securing the UK's place in Europe and killing off the issue for a generation. That was entirely noble, and probably achievable if he'd only got a bit more out of his negotiation and if Labour had a moderate likeable leader going all out to campaign for "Remain".
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Then he should have said so from the outset and not given us all that I am prepared to lead us out if we don't get the right deal guff.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612

Well, clearly the best PM of the past half-century, apart from Maggie of course, despite a spot of trouble at the end. Still, can't be sentimental: politics is a ruthless game. On to the next one, let's hope she's as good. I'm quite optimistic, I think she's a good fit for the challenges ahead, and will be very much her own woman. It won't be Continuity Cameron in style, personnel or policy. We shall see how it turns out.

Agree - I think Mrs May's work ethic will stand us in good stead, and God help any ministerial slackers.
  • Options
    runnymederunnymede Posts: 2,536
    Good riddance to a man who first tried to bounce the public into voting away their future, then tried to scare and bully them into doing so. He disgraced his office and his departure is a very good thing.
  • Options
    For a moment watching David Cameron with his family on the steps of Downing Street I felt quite sorry for him...then I pulled myself together and thought, what a complete and utter arse you have to be to have let yourself get to this position...in a moment that sympathy evaporated
  • Options
    Ishmael_XIshmael_X Posts: 3,664

RobD said:

Thrak said:

This.
    This, also.
    That.
    These.
    And those.

Because "I agree" would be making it too easy.
  • Options
    frpenkridgefrpenkridge Posts: 670
    Earl of Rosenburg !!!! The immortal Kaye Burley.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,100

Looking forward to his diaries covering the past few months...
  • Options

So it is Osborne who caused his downfall.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

Good riddance to a man who first tried to bounce the public into voting away their future, then tried to scare and bully them into doing so. He disgraced his office and his departure is a very good thing.

Time will tell if he was telling the truth
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,256
    FPT:
    John_M said:

One thing we can confidently predict: PMQs are going to return to dreary, earnest questions with tractor statistic replies.

This will actually be a good thing. Cameron's habit of ignoring the question and turning PMQs into an Oxford Union debating-society 'game' - which was precisely the opposite of what he promised he would do with PMQs when he was LOTO - was one of his least attractive features.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    runnymede said:

Agreed. the little Englanders had the last laugh. see ya Dave!
  • Options

Well, clearly the best PM of the past half-century, apart from Maggie of course, despite a spot of trouble at the end. Still, can't be sentimental: politics is a ruthless game. On to the next one, let's hope she's as good. I'm quite optimistic, I think she's a good fit for the challenges ahead. She will be very much her own woman. It won't be Continuity Cameron in style, personnel or policy. We shall see how it turns out.

Yup, I'll agree with that.
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

Agreed.

I shall give the new May administration a fair wind ....

Wind being my specialty .... :smiley:
  • Options

Agreed. And we would have a better Brexit team with Remain ministers like Johnson, Gove and Leadsom in position.
  • Options
    runnymede said:

Not even a kind word for delivering on the referendum. :(
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,193

It is quite something how many British Tory PMs have - in the end - been destroyed by the EU issue: Thatcher, Major, Cameron i.e. all of them since Heath who took us in.

And how many other Tory leaders/would be leaders have had to or felt they needed to define themselves around the EU issue: Clarke, Portillo, IDS, Hague.

It is odd that the EU issue has been so toxic for the Tories when - arguably - it is Labour voters who have felt more of the disadvantages of being in the EU.

Discuss.........
  • Options
    One aspect of these PM changeovers I enjoy is the shots from the Buck House courtyard, rarely otherwise seen - having walked through there and briefly into and back out of the Palace myself when I went to a Duke of Edinburgh's Award garden party as a teenager - before the days when anyone could get a ticket to go in and look around in the summer hols.... :-)
  • Options
    Dave was a real gambler as PM.

If he'd have won the EURef then he'd have been (rightly) triumphant.

But the bigger the stakes are, the more there is to lose.

And when you bet the farm and lose, is that really deserving of sympathy ?
  • Options
    Jobabob said:

Had he been able (by overcoming his prior faux scepticism) to run a more positive Remain campaign, not solely based on trying to frighten people on the economy, and also authorised a more robust demolition of the nonsense being spouted by the Tory leaver brigade, he would also still be PM, having won the referendum, as was always his intention.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,371

Osborne didn't want Cameron to offer a referendum in the first place.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,709
    One thing I approved of about David Cameron is that he kept his children away from publicity, unlike Tony Blair. So I guess they find set pieces like their father's departure speech difficult. They look completely traumatised in the photos.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    edited July 2016
    Cameron is a nice man but as a country we have to move on from being governed by the 7%.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Cameron is a nice man but as a country we have to move on from being governed by the 7%.

The first I've heard of the 7%?
  • Options
    Also is the main PB site down?
  • Options
    edited July 2016

Too young (31) to remember Major's term much, so Cameron is certainly the best PM I can remember, by a long way. Blair and Brown both dreadful in their same and different ways.

Due to Blair v Brown, I grew up thinking the PM must always be at odds with the CofE. Dave and Osborne showed how it should be done. Grown-up government.
  • Options
    SimonStClareSimonStClare Posts: 7,976
    Ma’am, lock the front gates while you still have control.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

Looking forward to his diaries covering the past few months...
    Judging by what he's like in public I doubt he tells the truth in his diaries either
  • Options
    RobD said:

Also is the main PB site down?

No, just slow....
  • Options

Agreed. And we would have a better Brexit team with Remain ministers like Johnson, Gove and Leadsom in position.
    How can anyone seriously put "better" in the same sentence as Johnson and Leadsom? Without being followed by the words "out of it"?
  • Options

He wanted his legacy to include securing the UK's place in Europe and killing off the issue for a generation. That was entirely noble, and probably achievable if he'd only got a bit more out of his negotiation and if Labour had a moderate likeable leader going all out to campaign for "Remain".
    Possibly. I'm beginning to wonder if the referendum was lost for Remain long before the renegotiation, that it was used as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity by many voters to give an "Up Yours" to a way of governing that lots of people had been sotto voce grumbling about for years, a feeling that government (both British/EU) had become a conspiracy against the people rather than the servants of the people.

• Options

Osborne didn't want Cameron to offer a referendum in the first place.
    "Osborne didn't want Cameron to offer a referendum in the first place."
    Which would have led to either a massresignation, blocking of bills or Leadership challenge and defeat at GE2015.
    The strategy and tactics for this referendum had Osborne's hand all over them apart from the bits Cameron decided. Between the pair of them they lost the referendum and the manner of their campaign forced Cameron to resign.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215

Blair clearly better than Cameron.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Pulpstar said:

Dave was a real gambler as PM.

If he'd have won the EURef then he'd have been (rightly) triumphant.

But the bigger the stakes are, the more there is to lose.

He can't have realised it was betting the farm at odds of roughly 50% or he wouldn't have taken it ... would he?

Defeated in the end by voters in Sunderland, Stoke, Merthr Tydfil, Tredegar and other faraway places of which we [in Number 10 and west Oxfordshire] know little.
  • Options

Well, clearly the best PM of the past half-century, apart from Maggie of course, despite a spot of trouble at the end. Still, can't be sentimental: politics is a ruthless game. On to the next one, let's hope she's as good. I'm quite optimistic, I think she's a good fit for the challenges ahead, and will be very much her own woman. It won't be Continuity Cameron in style, personnel or policy. We shall see how it turns out.

Agree - I think Mrs May's work ethic will stand us in good stead, and God help any ministerial slackers.
    That is one of the best things about her. You won't find her playing video games in the Downing Street flat.

Most men these days dont seem to mature out of adolescence properly
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Pulpstar said:

Not really. He's got to the very top. He's been party leader for ten years. He was due to depart in the next couple of years anyway. OK, it's not quite the exit route which he'd pencilled in, and it's no doubt a blow to his pride, but he and his family are hardly going to be scrabbling around struggling to pay the bills. It's politics: anyone who goes into it and gets near the top knows that the rug can be pulled from under their feet at any time. He must also have come to the point where it was all getting to be just too much, insulted from all sides whatever he did. He deserves a nice long expensive holiday with Sam.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    RobD said:

AndyJS said:

The privately educated. Nothing wrong with them as people but the other 93% deserve better opportunities.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

Too young (31) to remember Major's term much, so Cameron is certainly the best PM I can remember, by a long way. Blair and Brown both dreadful in their same and different ways.

Due to Blair v Brown, I grew up thinking the PM must always be at odds with the CofE. Dave and Osborne showed how it should be done. Grown-up government.
    Blair and Brown were not really at odds over policy, just on resignation dates. For bare-knuckle fights over the fundamentals of economic and (and European) policy, you have to go back to Conservative governments, esp Thatcher vs Lawson.
  • Options
    Now, looking to the future; does anyone know what TM's attitude is to cats? We saw a picture on here earlier with Cameron seeming to discuss policy with Larry on his lap (a photo, which had it been publicised a month ago, might have swung the referendum result his way). Which way will the new Prime Minister swing? Will she be pro-Larry or will she be the Cruella de Vill as per that slot-gobbed, money-grabbing, old trout a la Mrs Blair.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

It is quite something how many British Tory PMs have - in the end - been destroyed by the EU issue: Thatcher, Major, Cameron i.e. all of them since Heath who took us in.
    And how many other Tory leaders/would be leaders have had to or felt they needed to define themselves around the EU issue: Clarke, Portillo, IDS, Hague. It is odd that the EU issue has been so toxic for the Tories when - arguably - it is Labour voters who have felt more of the disadvantages of being in the EU. Discuss.........
    May be it is more to do with Conservatives having pride in the country as an independent nation therefore sovereignty matters more to them.
  • Options
    DanSmith said:

That's a very low comment.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,046
    Cyclefree said:

And how many other Tory leaders/would be leaders have had to or felt they needed to define themselves around the EU issue: Clarke, Portillo, IDS, Hague.

It is odd that the EU issue has been so toxic for the Tories when - arguably - it is Labour voters who have felt more of the disadvantages of being in the EU.

Discuss.........
    Blair was also undone by Foreign Policy don't forget. It doesn't usually kill politicians with the electorate but it can be a b***** within parliamentary parties.
  • Options

Now, looking to the future; does anyone know what TM's attitude is to cats? We saw a picture on here earlier with Cameron seeming to discuss policy with Larry on his lap (a photo, which had it been publicised a month ago, might have swung the referendum result his way). Which way will the new Prime Minister swing? Will she be pro-Larry or will she be the Cruella de Vill as per that slot-gobbed, money-grabbing, old trout a la Mrs Blair.

Or May might turn out to be similar to the Cat Lady from the Simpsons :D
  • Options
    No need for the UK tag.

She is The Queen.
  • Options
    I hope Cameron learns from Major rather than Blair how to be an ex-Prime Minister.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 38,940
    edited July 2016

No. It was inflicted by the EU obsessives within his own party who demanded a referendum. Many of the same guys who stabbed Major in the back.

Sad to see you're not being in the least bit gracious today, and that your dislike of Cameron still shines through.
  • Options
    Carolus_RexCarolus_Rex Posts: 1,414
    edited July 2016

She won't care to get fur all over that designer apparel. Larry's next serious moult will be his last in Downing St.

And as for hacking a furball up into the shoes...
  • Options

No need for the UK tag.

She is The Queen.
    Da Queen, actually :)
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Cyclefree said:

Possibly. I'm beginning to wonder if the referendum was lost for Remain long before the renegotiation, that it was used as a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity by many voters to give an "Up Yours" to a way of governing that lots of people had been sotto voce grumbling about for years, a feeling that government (both British/EU) had become a conspiracy against the people rather than the servants of the people.

Yeah a referendum about the EU (loathed to at best tolerated by 90% of people) is like giving someone the first punch. Too bloody right the public weren't going to miss out on that opportunity.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

The privately educated. Nothing wrong with them as people but the other 93% deserve better opportunities.
    Right. I'm fine if it's done on merit. I wouldn't want someone worse being PM just because they aren't privately educated, for instance.
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383

Cameron did refer to Larry as 'it' rather than 'him'

Tut tut tut
  • Options
    May is QEII's 13th PM, being appointed on 13th day of the month....
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    DanSmith said:

Couldn't you have given us a 45 minutes warning of that comment?
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I hope Cameron learns from Major rather than Blair how to be an ex-Prime Minister.

Major called LEAVERs rude names during the Campaign, didn't he?
  • Options
    Do we have to be subjected to Nick Witchell wittering on? Fair enough for coverage of the Queen's birthday or something, but this is politics. It just happens to be at the Palace...
  • Options
    RodCrosbyRodCrosby Posts: 7,737

Earl of Rosenburg !!!! The immortal Kaye Burley.

To be fair, it was Jayne Secker.
  • Options
    BannedInParisBannedInParis Posts: 2,191
    DanSmith said:

Chilcott was *last week*, man.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

Give it a rest, it's not as if she's unique in that.
  • Options

DanSmith said:

Chilcott was *last week*, man.
    The referendum was less than three weeks ago.............
  • Options
    PlatoSaidPlatoSaid Posts: 10,383
    RobD said:

Or May might turn out to be similar to the Cat Lady from the Simpsons :D
    More Catbert, I suspect.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    AndyJS said:

RobD said:

AndyJS said:

On average they ought to make up no more than 7% of MPs, ministers etc. Not bag most of the top jobs. Until that's fixed don't expect the public to like them.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

Discuss.........
    I would say Heath was also destroyed by the Europe issue. Firstly if he hadn't gone into the EU the industrial strife would not have been as bad and secondly he was out by a handful of votes - and would probably have got them if senior tories including a former cabinet minister were not advising people to vote Labour in the 74 elections.

The majority of Tory MPs voted to stay out and Heath only got the legislation narrowly through with the help of Labour Europhiles like Woy.

That poisoned the party for 41 years, dividing it into Europhiles and Eurosceptics. That is over now and the intellectual energy can be focused on more useful things.
This discussion has been closed.