Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Bet on Raducanu for SPOTY before tonight’s final – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Andy_JS said:

FPT

Regression poll by Electoral Calculus and FindoutnowUK for Property Chronicle shows where the Nimbys are in Britain. Some areas (green) want more property development locally, and others (red) don't.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/blogs/ec_property_20210721.html

How odd! @justin124 was telling us yesterday that Scottish Labour VI will follow English Labour VI as night follows day. Cos the two countries are identical and always mimic each other’s social trends and voting patterns. Or some such guff.

Justin doesn’t get out much.

Scotland, Wales and London good, rest of England bad.
    Surely this map provides the solution to the whole issue. Just concentrate new house building in those areas that want it. Al the more given that many of these areas are the red wall centres that the Tories say they want to improve and 'level up'. Concentrate all building and industrial/manufacturing support in those areas. That way (according top this report anyway) everyone will be happy.
    Well, not if you're a youngster from the leafy south and your only hope of buying a home is to move to Loubcroy.
  • Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

FPT

Regression poll by Electoral Calculus and FindoutnowUK for Property Chronicle shows where the Nimbys are in Britain. Some areas (green) want more property development locally, and others (red) don't.

How odd! @justin124 was telling us yesterday that Scottish Labour VI will follow English Labour VI as night follows day. Cos the two countries are identical and always mimic each other’s social trends and voting patterns. Or some such guff.

Surely this map provides the solution to the whole issue. Just concentrate new house building in those areas that want it. Al the more given that many of these areas are the red wall centres that the Tories say they want to improve and 'level up'. Concentrate all building and industrial/manufacturing support in those areas. That way (according top this report anyway) everyone will be happy.
    Well, not if you're a youngster from the leafy south and your only hope of buying a home is to move to Loubcroy.
    Until this last couple of generations people have always moved for work and to get a better start. Not sure why it is wrong now.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279
    Does anyone agree with me that the vast majority of the American response(s) to 9/11 have been almost exactly what the terrorists were hoping for?
  • Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

FPT

Until this last couple of generations people have always moved for work and to get a better start. Not sure why it is wrong now.
    Bit difficult to move for work if the nearest house you can afford is 100 miles away.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,164
    edited September 2021
    This is why I don't like politics in football. That banner is out of order in my opinion. Personally, I think airspace over PL grounds should be restricted from this nonsense.
    edited September 2021
    Andy_JS said:

Does anyone agree with me that the vast majority of the American response(s) to 9/11 have been almost exactly what the terrorists were hoping for?

It certainly pleased Russia and China.
  • FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

FPT

Still, it's nice to have affordable housing in every area, so if you want to live near your family you have the choice. It's not all about work work work.
  • F1: interesting grid for tomorrow.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,072
    tlg86 said:

This is why I don't like politics in football. That banner is out of order in my opinion. Personally, I think airspace over PL grounds should be restricted from this nonsense.

Who cares? It will be forgotten about in a week.
  • gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    Andy_JS said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

I see Starmer’s fast fading Labour still four points behind Tories despite everything mid term and botched budgets in the latest Telegraph poll.

Still with these big gaps between them and Labour, Tory HQ have to be happy with how polling going this weekend?

Starmer is toast. The big moment has been blown by sleep at the wheel Labour leadership. “But you don’t even have a policy”

Westminster Voting Intention (MRP):
    CON: 37%
    LAB: 33%
    LDM: 12%
    GRN: 8%
    RFM: 5%
    Are you replying to yourself because no one else is responding to you?

Other than posting the results, your analysis is not particularly helpful. For me the big takeaway would be the drop in the Tory vote, and indeed that the LDs rather than Labour are the primary beneficiary.
    The big takeaway has to be the swing from Conservative to ReformUK. Labour haven't improved much.
    Exactly Andy what Pancho Pete is trying to spin to avoid admitting, how fundamental what is happening here is. Red Brex, swallowed by Boris, haven’t appetite to return to Labour.

That is what we are seeing in the polls. That’s the crucial dynamic that looks like taking years and handful of elections to unwind.

What this weeks polling is telling us, Starmer should survive to lead Labour into the election, but only 20 or 30 gains means he is gone next day.

F1: interesting grid for tomorrow.

Why is Lewis suddenly so bad at starts?
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,728

F1: interesting grid for tomorrow.

Is that first time F1 has been interesting in a decade?
  • AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    edited September 2021
    Huge fall in cases today, including in both Scot and NI. No data for Wales, the same as last week. 3 days in a row, particularly for England, is starting to look like a trend.

If everything is open, including schools and cases are declining despite massive testing then this is very good news.

tlg86 said:

Well, after the "White Lives Matter" banner was flown, there was outrage and a ban on people flying banners.

This is a bit different, but still offensive in my opinion.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2021
    AlistairM said:

Huge fall in cases today, including in both Scot and NI. No data for Wales, the same as last week. 3 days in a row, particularly for England, is starting to look like a trend.

If everything is open, including schools and cases are declining despite massive testing then this is very good news.

You obviously didn't get the latest iSAGE memo, it is actually a total disaster. Too many weekly deaths....I mean they might well be heavily weighted to anti-vaxxers and very old vulnerable people who are unfortunately only a bad bout of anything away from death, and that fully vaxxed and under 50, you are more in danger from doing the ironing...but it is still a disgrace and unacceptable.

I believe this is the new iSAGE take on things.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    tlg86 said:

Epic trolling though. And why would different freedom of speech rules apply to football venues?
    Manchester United 1 - 1 Newcastle United

... :D
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Well, after the "White Lives Matter" banner was flown, there was outrage and a ban on people flying banners.

Ban by whom?
    edited September 2021
    IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

Epic trolling though. And why would different freedom of speech rules apply to football venues?
    A banner like that from opposition supporters would get confiscated. You can't stop supporters singing "Oh Ronnie, she said no" to the tune of Kumbaya, though you could impose a stadium ban on supporters for such songs (note Liverpool getting away with homophobic chanting).
  • Mr. Gate, he's started pretty well most of the time this year. Wasn't helped by the tyre difference.
  • theProle said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

FPT

Bit difficult to move for work if the nearest house you can afford is 100 miles away.
    Becoming less so every year as remote working becomes more common.

When I started my career I did all manner of jobs across practically the whole of the UK as well as overseas. I did so because they were the jobs that were available for me at the time. The idea that somehow people have a right to have a job and a house in the same place they grew up is for the birds.
    edited September 2021

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Ban by whom?
    https://news.sky.com/story/outraged-airport-bans-banner-flights-after-white-lives-matter-burnley-stunt-12013293

Okay, nothing nationwide, but they knew it looked bad. Same should be true with this.
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973
    F1 sprint - rubbish, and that Mercedes engine change looking a massive strategic blunder
  • stodgestodge Posts: 12,741
    MattW said:

This merits a serious response.

The number of landlords in the PRS with one property is currently about 45%. With 2-4 is a further 38%. So 83% hold 4 or fewer properties. Which gives context to Phil's skewed misrepresentation the other day about 'a landlord earning 49,000' as a suitable typical example.

G Osborne has sought to professionalise it by ultra-regulation and targeted rather skewed tax increases. For example, a property company or a big beast like L&G can count their financing expenses against tax; a self-employed LL with a house cannot.

On the LL owning 90 properties. So what? LL is running a successful business providing housing services to people. If it is following the law, and is properly licensed etc then that is fine. If 'getting more people in' is being done safely, legitimately and legally then what is the problem? Are those people better off homeless?

Councils make grants available to all kinds of organisations all the time to support the Council objectives. Building Regulations on loft conversions require high standards. Again, what is the problem?

Newham are notorious for their enthusiasm for massive and rather badly targeted regulation, and previously have been notorious for their lack of competence. I hope they have improved.

If the "big 3 bed semis" are not properly licensed etc, then the people running them are criminals, not legitimate landlords. And there is a duty on all of us to report the crimes - either to the police or the relevant council enforcement team.

In this type of case an association with serious crime - such as people trafficking, and exploitation crimes - is likely. Another reason to report it.

If the Council properly regulated the 'HMO situation', then it would be less 'murky'.

Running decent-sized HMOs (6 or more rooms) is something for professional management, not amateurs or self-management. The rules are fearsomely complex.

Clear enough?

Thank you for the respect which I shall of course reciprocate.

I wasn't having a go at the Landlord with 90 properties - I don't know how he operates but I do agree areas like Newham need a properly regulated but active private rental sector. If Newham are supporting that through grants, fine. I do know all landlords have to have a property licence and have to undergo an inspection regime.

Thank you for the background inflation on landlords - most are "small fish" it would seem with one property or no more than four. That shines an important light on a sector which is, I think, widely misunderstood.

The observation on the "3-bed semis" is anecdotal but supported by evidence from areas like Harrow, Brent and elsewhere. It may well be some operate legally - I'm far from convinced all do.

I can only speak for Newham but your comments on the housing department may not be wholly inaccurate. I don't know how the investigation of reported HMO breaches is undertaken but I know it can be a lengthy process as evidence is gathered.

I've seen some evidence in another aspect regarding some organisations who used to have property Guardians in their premises found the HMO process unnecessarily costly and bureaucratic and got rid of the Guardians so it's a double edged sword. Guardianship can be a useful short term solution especially for key workers but it's not without its issues - for all the Guardians have to sign up to very restrictive tenancies, there's little or no enforcement of the terms in some instances.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

A banner like that from opposition supporters would get confiscated. You can't stop supporters singing "Oh Ronnie, she said no" to the tune of Kumbaya, though you could impose a stadium ban on supporters for such songs (note Liverpool getting away with homophobic chanting).
    LOL about the Kumbaya chant.
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Farooq said:

Talking of an (in)famous SPOTY.

Ryan Giggs in Man United directors' box for today's game at Old Trafford

https://twitter.com/RobHarris/status/1436688145349849090

I wonder if Prince Andrew was also invited?

I'd like to explore the moral case for abortions in the 173rd trimester
    Robert?
  • Man Utd 2-1....Told you that Portuguese bloke was a washed up waste of space.....
  • AlistairM said:

You obviously didn't get the latest iSAGE memo, it is actually a total disaster. Too many weekly deaths....I mean they might well be heavily weighted to anti-vaxxers and very old vulnerable people who are unfortunately only a bad bout of anything away from death, and that fully vaxxed and under 50, you are more in danger from doing the ironing...but it is still a disgrace and unacceptable.

I believe this is the new iSAGE take on things.
    You forgot the mitigations measures which MUST be implemented immediately, like mask wearing and air conditioning in schools.

theProle said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

FPT

When I started my career I did all manner of jobs across practically the whole of the UK as well as overseas. I did so because they were the jobs that were available for me at the time. The idea that somehow people have a right to have a job and a house in the same place they grew up is for the birds.
    I don't think people are really suggesting that people should have 'a right' to a job and a house in the same place they grew up but I don't think its good national policy to encourage the pricing of local people out of the areas where they are from.

Man Utd 2-1....Told you that Portuguese bloke was a washed up waste of space.....

Normal service resumes
    IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

IshmaelZ said:

tlg86 said:

LOL about the Kumbaya chant.
    Arsenal fans were singing it about Mendy two weeks ago, which isn't great to be honest. It was a little bit funny when it was about RVP as no one actually thinks he's a rapist.

We also used to sing "she said yes, Giroud, she said yes", which was very funny.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2560650/Olivier-Giroud-issues-grovelling-apology-wife-Arsene-Wenger-pictures-emerge-hotel-meeting-model-just-hours-game.html
  • Mr. Abode, I am also less than thrilled about this sprint race nonsense.

• Eric Holthaus
    @EricHolthaus
    ·
    2h
    Yep, that's Greenland that Hurricane Larry is approaching. Unreal to see a hurricane this far north — and a testament to the unusually warm Atlantic waters right now.
  • MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 24,583
    Andy_JS said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

I see Starmer’s fast fading Labour still four points behind Tories despite everything mid term and botched budgets in the latest Telegraph poll.

Still with these big gaps between them and Labour, Tory HQ have to be happy with how polling going this weekend?

Starmer is toast. The big moment has been blown by sleep at the wheel Labour leadership. “But you don’t even have a policy”

Other than posting the results, your analysis is not particularly helpful. For me the big takeaway would be the drop in the Tory vote, and indeed that the LDs rather than Labour are the primary beneficiary.
    The big takeaway has to be the swing from Conservative to ReformUK. Labour haven't improved much.
    Fair point. LD 12% brought a twinkle to the eye though
  • Pulpstar said:

On topic, Raducanu should be fav if she wins tonight - but - and I appreciate this might not be the betting reality, it'd be a bit.. disrespectful .. to other sports (Diving, swimming, cycling, gymnastics) if she was to win without winning so to speak

No player, male or female, has ever got to a grand slam final after having come through qualifying in the open era. Win or lose, it is an achievement for the ages on a world, let alone British, scale. It's an almost incomprehensible, impossible achievement. Winning a gold medal - very impressive though that is - simply doesn't compare.

Having said that, if she does lose this evening then I'm far from sure she will get SPOTY because, as it happens, both finalists are young, unseeded players. So there will be a sense (very unfairly) of let-down in a way there wouldn't be if the final was against the world number one.
  • StockyStocky Posts: 9,653
    edited September 2021
    Header: just got in, catching up - Peaty has never been favourite for SPOTY - nor anywhere near. I think you mean Daley, Mike.

Secondly, Raducanu @ 62% makes sense if she wins, may shorten a bit even, but I don't think this will hold if she loses.

Edit: if she does lose and those odds do hold I'll be laying bigly.
    edited September 2021

Pulpstar said:

On topic, Raducanu should be fav if she wins tonight - but - and I appreciate this might not be the betting reality, it'd be a bit.. disrespectful .. to other sports (Diving, swimming, cycling, gymnastics) if she was to win without winning so to speak

No player, male or female, has ever got to a grand slam final after having come through qualifying in the open era. Win or lose, it is an achievement for the ages on a world, let alone British, scale. It's an almost incomprehensible, impossible achievement. Winning a gold medal - very impressive though that is - simply doesn't compare.

Having said that, if she does lose this evening then I'm far from sure she will get SPOTY because, as it happens, both finalists are young, unseeded players. So there will be a sense (very unfairly) of let-down in a way there wouldn't be if the final was against the world number one.
    Hmmm, I'm not sure that detail will count for much. What's the deal with her, anyway? She's not that young. Look at Jennifer Capriatti for young. I wonder if her camp didn't want to expose her too early (a good decision, if so).

What's behind her short odds for SPoTY is that she's a good looking girl playing quite a sport that's quite popular. The Murray wins in SPoTY might have something to do with it, but he being Scottish probably helped him.
  • Andy_JS said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Remember the data collection, Monday to Wednesday of this week.

A lot of that poll was done before even the Cabinet knew what tax rises BoJo had in mind. It's frankly rather cheeky of the Telegraph hacks to link the Conservative fall to this week's news. They've been steadily falling for ages.

(Which is not to say that 33% is anything to write home about for Labour.)
  • RazedabodeRazedabode Posts: 2,973

Mr. Abode, I am also less than thrilled about this sprint race nonsense.

The failings of that particular format are worse at a track like Monza - no chance for strategy or tyre wear to play a part.

But that was a shocker for Hamilton. Really pleased for McLaren
  • Mr. Abode, great for Ricciardo in particular. Verstappen and Hamilton will be wary of them. If the Dutchman doesn't hold the lead off the line, a McLaren win is a credible possibility.

On raw pace, Hamilton was significantly faster than Norris. In clear air, he might be the fastest out there.
  • theProle said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

FPT

I don't think people are really suggesting that people should have 'a right' to a job and a house in the same place they grew up but I don't think its good national policy to encourage the pricing of local people out of the areas where they are from.
    To be honest I agree with you and my original comment was at least a smidgen tongue in cheek. But it is also undoubtedly the case that we ned a major disruptive realignment of housing and investment across the country which will not be achieved by simply tinkering around the edges and trying to keep current vested interests happy (the Johnson approach and in fact the approach of most Governments over the last 3 decades or so.)

Planning to build a couple of million houses in the south east and south midlands where at best all you will do is reduce the increase in the value of housing rather than actually reversing it and making it more affordable is no answer to the issues you raise. We will build those coupe of million houses and you will still have a situation where most people can't afford to buy a first home where they grew up.
  • theProle said:

Farooq said:

Andy_JS said:

FPT

My job might be difficult to do remotely, given I actually make stuff. Even the design end of my job usually involves going and physically measuring existing stuff to find things which will work with it.

My point isn't so much about people having to move from where they grew up (that's one of those things) as that there are large swathes of the country where there are jobs and no affordable housing. And there there are some bits of the country where there are no jobs, but housing hasn't yet gone completely mad.

What there isn't much of is places with lots of jobs, where people might also be able to afford to live.
  • MattWMattW Posts: 18,080
    Dethreaded !

’The food shortages being reported by a growing number of household names are likely to last forever, a leading industry figure has said in a stark warning to the government.

Ian Wright, CEO of the Food & Drink Federation, said the system that for decades had meant British consumers could expect a full range of food or drink items in their supermarkets and restaurants was "over" and probably not coming back.

A shortage of lorry drivers and workers elsewhere in supply chains, compounded by Brexit and the Covid pandemic, has triggered shortages of food and other items in recent weeks…’

https://www.politicshome.com/news/article/food-shortages-last-forever

Story illustrated:

By a photo of empty shelves caused by heavy snow in Blyth in 2017:

Credible reporting from a credible source?

(Personally, I suggest that the FDF are bullshitters, and PoliticsHome are either being lazy or incompetent if they did not check.)
  • gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

Andy_JS said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

Remember the data collection, Monday to Wednesday of this week.

A lot of that poll was done before even the Cabinet knew what tax rises BoJo had in mind. It's frankly rather cheeky of the Telegraph hacks to link the Conservative fall to this week's news. They've been steadily falling for ages.

(Which is not to say that 33% is anything to write home about for Labour.)
    What’s happening here in British politics is Labour heading to 20-30 seat gain at the GE and Starmers failure, all because arch remainer Starmer is getting hardly any Red Brex vote back. Red Brex voters are now the key dynamic. They will vote Boris if he is Tory leader.
    edited September 2021
    MattW said:

Dethreaded !

’The food shortages being reported by a growing number of household names are likely to last forever, a leading industry figure has said in a stark warning to the government.

Ian Wright, CEO of the Food & Drink Federation, said the system that for decades had meant British consumers could expect a full range of food or drink items in their supermarkets and restaurants was "over" and probably not coming back.

A shortage of lorry drivers and workers elsewhere in supply chains, compounded by Brexit and the Covid pandemic, has triggered shortages of food and other items in recent weeks…’

Story illustrated:

(Personally, I suggest that the FDF are bullshitters, and PoliticsHome are either being lazy or incompetent if they did not check.)
    Not the first time the media and MPs have been caught using old photos of empty shelves...the way they are reporting on this you would think popping into any supermarket at any time would give them the opportunity to snap a more up to date picture.

Yet another food delivery to Chez Urquhart, where no more than a couple of substitutions, which was totally the norm prior to COVID.
    edited September 2021

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Hmmm, I'm not sure that detail will count for much. What's the deal with her, anyway? She's not that young. Look at Jennifer Capriatti for young. I wonder if her camp didn't want to expose her to early (a good decision, if so).

What's behind her short odds for SPoTY is that she's a good looking girl playing quite a sport that's quite popular. The Murray wins in SPoTY might have something to do with it, but he being Scottish probably helped him.
    Jennifer Capriati was actually 25 before she got to a grand slam final. Amazing talent when she burst onto the scene, but famously struggled with that.

Martina Hingis was very young - and absolutely amazing. But her first final was her ninth grand slam tournament.

What Emma Raducanu has done is without precedent. And that isn't because of age - it's coming into her second major tournament, coming through qualifying, and dealing with pressure of a huge tournament (the Arthur Ashe court has the biggest crowd in the world, I believe). Indeed, she's done it without losing a set or even being taken to a tie-break.

Of course, if she loses, as she may well, that slightly dampens that story. But only slightly - it is utterly incredible whatever.

If she gets beat comfortably then it will look like that she just got lucky with her route to the final. But I'm far from certain she will get beat - always dangerous to draw conclusions about the route to the final.

You might be right about the influence of how sudden her success has been. But I wouldn't underestimate the opposite factor with Tom Daley. He's finally done it. That also earns respect.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

MattW said:

Dethreaded !

Story illustrated:

Not the first time the media and MPs have been caught using old photos of empty shelves...the way they are reporting on this you would think popping into any supermarket at any time would give them the opportunity to snap a more up to date picture.

Yet another food delivery to Chez Urquhart, where no more than a couple of substitutions, which was totally the norm prior to COVID.
    It's not inherently wrong to use a picture which is illustrative of a thing which is actually happening, but it certainly looks dumb when caught out so just use a contemporary picture next time.

It's like how Corbyn lied about there not being available seats on a train, and some online defenders tried defending it on the basis that it was a real issue - maybe so, but it wasn't on that occasion.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    Anyone else alarmed by this ?
    https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2021/09/i-weapons-are-third-revolution-warfare/620013/

Not very long before these things become widespread in non military hands.
    edited September 2021
    kle4 said:

MattW said:

Dethreaded !

Story illustrated:

It's not inherently wrong to use a picture which is illustrative of a thing which is actually happening, but it certainly looks dumb when caught out so just use a contemporary picture next time.

It's like how Corbyn lied about there not being available seats on a train, and some online defenders tried defending it on the basis that it was a real issue - maybe so, but it wasn't on that occasion.
    It is inherently wrong until you clearly state that this is just illustrative. It is deliberately misleading. And the media keep getting caught doing it.

Perhaps it is because when they do go to get a picture, it isn't quite as armageddon-esque, more oh look there is a gap here, and there....in between the stock. And the editor screams at them, that won't do, I want to see pictures of whole supermarkets empty of everything.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 91,392

kle4 said:

MattW said:

Dethreaded !

Story illustrated:

It is inherently wrong until you clearly state that this is just illustrative. It is deliberately misleading.
    The 'not inherently wrong' part is inclusive of you being clear it is illustrative (even if only in very small text), that's why it looks so dumb if you aren't clear.
    Nigelb said:

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2021/09/i-weapons-are-third-revolution-warfare/620013/

Given the number of deaths from COVID in China, maybe we're already there...

(runs and hides).
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 50,754
    Arsenal seem to have won a game. Is that still allowed?
    Betfair down?
  • Nigelb said:
    "I doubt Johnson can keep his bubble machine blowing out the myth that austerity is over. Whether it’s soaring food bank use from universal credit cuts or the NHS struggling with waiting times, sooner rather than later, enough voters will see through his make-believe politics."

Polly Toynbee
    edited September 2021
    Further on the Food & Drink Federation, here is one from last week.

2/9/2021 £2bn fall in Exports in First Half Catastrophe:

18/6/2021 £2bn fall in Exports in First Quarter Disaster

Now, if those numbers are true exports are back to normal in the second quarter...

Not only bullshitters, but woefully incompetent bullshitters.
  • pingping Posts: 3,724
    tlg86 said:

Betfair down?

Seems like it
    edited September 2021
    MattW said:

Now, if those numbers are true exports are back to normal in the second quarter...

MEDIA.....STATISTICS...TOOOOOOO CONFUSING.....Unless you are Prof Peston, and then obviously he is more of an expert than every member of SAGE and iSAGE combined on every aspect of maths and science.
    edited September 2021
    I see Prof Peston is off against with his BS....for a man that is so much more of an expert than the government scientists, he sure doesn't understand a lot of things.

He doesn't seem to understand why there is more people in the older age groups who have been vaccinated have covid than unvaccinated.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 61,557
    tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

(runs and hides).
    We now have vaccines.
    What's the comparable solution for killer bots ?

MattW said:

MEDIA.....STATISTICS...TOOOOOOO CONFUSING.....Unless you are Prof Peston, and then obviously he is more of an expert than every member of SAGE and iSAGE combined on every aspect of maths and science.
    I think it's the FDF putting out press releases by email, which get churnalised.

Shelter use similar tactics to plant stories that don't add up. Under the current management (former boss of Womens' Aid) they are keen to display women as perma-victims and men as perma-abusers, even when the stats don't support it.
    Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

(runs and hides).
    We now have vaccines.
    Goldeneye?

I haven't read all of that piece, but surely anyone in possession of such a device gets locked up for life. And if they are flown in from a foreign country. Then it's all out war.

Nigelb said:
    "I doubt Johnson can keep his bubble machine blowing out the myth that austerity is over. Whether it’s soaring food bank use from universal credit cuts or the NHS struggling with waiting times, sooner rather than later, enough voters will see through his make-believe politics."

Polly Toynbee
    He could keep throwing in some super populist policies each election. I am convinced there will a restoration of capital punishment for cop killers and nonces before Johnson's tenure is finally up

He doesn't believes that it is right, any more than I do. But if it keeps his dream alive, who cares?
    edited September 2021
    MattW said:

MattW said:

I think it's the FDF putting out press releases by email, which get churnalised.

Shelter use similar tactics to plant stories that don't add up. Under the current management (former boss of Womens' Aid) they are keen to display women as perma-victims and men as perma-abusers, even when the stats don't support it.
    That's modern journalism for you....the rehash press releases and look at twitter, see what other journalists are saying, copy and paste....
  • darkagedarkage Posts: 4,746
    Nigelb said:

I've been thinking about this for many years. It actually makes me unconcerned about climate change. Dealing with that will be a luxury, as if we get there, we will have first have solved the killer robots / AI arms race dilemma; along with having preserved some form of human decision making autonomy in the face of unregulated surveillance capitalism. It is like a famous thinker recently said: Its a darts game, humans have only one dart, and we have to hit the bullseye.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,670
    kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Will the previous hot favourite, Adam Peaty edge to favourite again?

Wasn't Tom Daley the previous favourite ?

And I wonder if there is a 'gay block vote' in the same way there has been a Welsh one.

Peaty's the more astounding athlete, and as noted above the Strictly thing should help his profile, though Daley has a really good personal story and seems to be a likable chap. But I'd agree with the general view that the profile of Tennis, long history since success, and Raducanu being youthful, attractive and charming makes her hard to beat if it is a win.
    Peaty is the GOAT at his event....he hasn't just won, he has smashed everybody year in year out for what 7 years?

Daley is not even currently the world's best diver, let alone the best ever.
    But then Daley is competing in an event which is dominated by one country. Peaty turns up, he wins. I appreciate he's worked very hard to do what he does, but swimming doesn't have the same pressure as delivering on the day when it matters, which is what diving is about.

I'd go for Whitlock, personally. To defend the pommel horse title is impressive. He's the most decorated Olympic gymnast in that event.
    Jumping off a board is among the worst and most boring sports there are.
    That's why they add spinning and twisting after the jump to add interest!
    It does not work , watching paint dry is far better
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    Andy_JS said:

Yes, I think almost every move made by either side in the War on Terror was an own goal. The USA trashed its reputation with its war on Iraq, torture centres and Guantanamo Bay. Meanwhile ISIS and AQ haven't done much to convince anyone that Islamism is the way to run a country.
  • Actually it is quite easily reconcile to FDF figures if you read their report.

Exports to the EU down, exports to other non EU markets up.

But the growth in non EU markets doesn't offset the loss in trade to the EU.

https://www.fdf.org.uk/fdf/news-media/press-releases/2021-press-releases/food-and-drink-exports-recovering-in-non-eu-markets/

But focus on pictures, that's the really important thing if you don't know how using pictures on websites work.

Use Getty Images and they automatically add a description including date, use Almany and they don't, guess which one is cheaper and gets used more?
  • FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,052
    MattW said:

Though the news from Germany suggests that wasn't a blip.

So German exports to UK go up by 2.2% while Our exports go down by 11%

#Brexit is the gift that keeps on giving...
    https://t.co/LtAlMFaafx

Nigelb said:

tlg86 said:

Nigelb said:

(runs and hides).
    We now have vaccines.
    Install Microsoft Windows on them.
    I was in McDonalds Drive Thru yesterday, and the big presentation screen by the car had what looked like a Windows 95 "click to restart" box in it.
  • Best bit of cricket action you will see all year, if not all time (turn your volume on)

https://twitter.com/TheCricketGeek/status/1436685954299965440
    edited September 2021
    Foxy said:

MattW said:

Though the news from Germany suggests that wasn't a blip.

So German exports to UK go up by 2.2% while Our exports go down by 11%

#Brexit is the gift that keeps on giving...
    https://t.co/LtAlMFaafx
    That doesn't contain any information about the trend from 2021 Q1 to 2021 Q2 either. It is comparing 6 month figures, which include January. Exactly the same problem.

I would be interested to see their numbers for Q1, which will let us deduce some information about Q2.

Given that it is a German trade body, I would expect silence rather than bullshit.

We can't really judge anything until at least next year.

Actually it is quite easily reconcile to FDF figures if you read their report.

https://www.fdf.org.uk/fdf/news-media/press-releases/2021-press-releases/food-and-drink-exports-recovering-in-non-eu-markets/

But focus on pictures, that's the really important thing if you don't know how using pictures on websites work.

Use Getty Images and they automatically add a description including date, use Almany and they don't, guess which one is cheaper and gets used more?

Can you point me to where they compare Q1 and Q2?

(Yes I did look at the reports the other day)
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,341
    edited September 2021

Nigelb said:

Polly Toynbee
    There is lots wrong with the world but anyone with the tiniest sense of history will know that we live in an era of cheap food, high benefits, free education to 18, a welfare state and massive government intervention, universally practiced by all parties when in government, to transfer huge sums of money to the less well off.

Unlimited quantities of whataboutery can be commented about these truths, but they are still true.

Nanos follows Mainstreet in putting Trudeau and the Liberals back in front.

https://nanos.co/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/2021-1947-ELXN44-Nightly-Tracking-Report-2021-09-10lR4q8e.pdf

It's a rolling poll as is Mainstreet but both suggest Trudeau outperformed O'Toole in the two debates this week.

The Mainstreet seats projection has the Liberals at 165, just five short of a majority and the Conservatives on 113.

If food shortages are so common, then surely they wouldn't need to use stock photos.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542

MattW said:

Indeed statistics can be confusing. Per the FDF, there was a £2 billion fall in exports to the EU in Q1 and in a later press release a £2 billion fall in overall exports in H1 where a rise in non-EU exports failed to compensate for a fall in EU exports.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,116
    malcolmg said:

kle4 said:

malcolmg said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Will the previous hot favourite, Adam Peaty edge to favourite again?

Wasn't Tom Daley the previous favourite ?

And I wonder if there is a 'gay block vote' in the same way there has been a Welsh one.

Peaty's the more astounding athlete, and as noted above the Strictly thing should help his profile, though Daley has a really good personal story and seems to be a likable chap. But I'd agree with the general view that the profile of Tennis, long history since success, and Raducanu being youthful, attractive and charming makes her hard to beat if it is a win.
    Peaty is the GOAT at his event....he hasn't just won, he has smashed everybody year in year out for what 7 years?

Daley is not even currently the world's best diver, let alone the best ever.
    But then Daley is competing in an event which is dominated by one country. Peaty turns up, he wins. I appreciate he's worked very hard to do what he does, but swimming doesn't have the same pressure as delivering on the day when it matters, which is what diving is about.

I'd go for Whitlock, personally. To defend the pommel horse title is impressive. He's the most decorated Olympic gymnast in that event.
    Jumping off a board is among the worst and most boring sports there are.
    That's why they add spinning and twisting after the jump to add interest!
    It does not work , watching paint dry is far better
    Except they don't give themselves time to get dry again, so you get something to watch.
    Have to say my local Tesco's had very little milk or bottled water today.

The local Sainsburys had gaps in the ready meals and some other areas. Nothing serious, nothing drastic but noticeable nonetheless.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,766
    Can you soar much from 62%?
  • tlg86 said:

If food shortages are so common, then surely they wouldn't need to use stock photos.
    Using new photos can cost a bit more than stock photos. A lot more.
    edited September 2021

tlg86 said:

Come on, that's piss poor excuse. Newspapers / major media websites use up to date photos for all sorts of things every day. And I would presume they also have deals with the likes of Getty where they are able to use a huge number of brand new images every month...most major media outlets couldn't exist if they have to rely massively on old stock footage, so they aren't penny pinching the choice for breaking news stories.
  • Some media companies used to try and Twitter embeds of new pictures which led to problems.

For example if say The Sun used a Tweet showing an incident and the Twitter account realised they'd change their Twitter handle to something like 'Don't Buy The Sun. JFT96' because they were Liverpool fans.

Sometimes people would change their handle for a laugh, I think the Mail once used a Tweet from someone who changed their handle to 'Katie Hopkins is a c***'.

tlg86 said:

How difficult is it for a journo to go to their local shop?
  • Keir Starmer: the man who saved Labour?

In twenty years time, will we look back on Keir Starmer as the man who brought Labour back from the brink, even if he never became PM?
  • tlg86 said:

Come on, that's piss poor excuse. Newspapers / major media websites use up to date photos for all sorts of things every day.
    The big media companies have accounts which allow them to do that, unlimited use of the entire database. Smaller ones cannot.

Here's a Covid-19 supply shortage stock photo that costs £375 per use if you don't have an unlimited contract.

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/photo/empty-shelves-royalty-free-image/1215011353?adppopup=true
    stodge said:

MattW said:

This merits a serious response.

The number of landlords in the PRS with one property is currently about 45%. With 2-4 is a further 38%. So 83% hold 4 or fewer properties. Which gives context to Phil's skewed misrepresentation the other day about 'a landlord earning 49,000' as a suitable typical example.

G Osborne has sought to professionalise it by ultra-regulation and targeted rather skewed tax increases. For example, a property company or a big beast like L&G can count their financing expenses against tax; a self-employed LL with a house cannot.

On the LL owning 90 properties. So what? LL is running a successful business providing housing services to people. If it is following the law, and is properly licensed etc then that is fine. If 'getting more people in' is being done safely, legitimately and legally then what is the problem? Are those people better off homeless?

Councils make grants available to all kinds of organisations all the time to support the Council objectives. Building Regulations on loft conversions require high standards. Again, what is the problem?

Newham are notorious for their enthusiasm for massive and rather badly targeted regulation, and previously have been notorious for their lack of competence. I hope they have improved.

If the "big 3 bed semis" are not properly licensed etc, then the people running them are criminals, not legitimate landlords. And there is a duty on all of us to report the crimes - either to the police or the relevant council enforcement team.

In this type of case an association with serious crime - such as people trafficking, and exploitation crimes - is likely. Another reason to report it.

If the Council properly regulated the 'HMO situation', then it would be less 'murky'.

Running decent-sized HMOs (6 or more rooms) is something for professional management, not amateurs or self-management. The rules are fearsomely complex.

Clear enough?

Thank you for the respect which I shall of course reciprocate.

I wasn't having a go at the Landlord with 90 properties - I don't know how he operates but I do agree areas like Newham need a properly regulated but active private rental sector. If Newham are supporting that through grants, fine. I do know all landlords have to have a property licence and have to undergo an inspection regime.

Thank you for the background inflation on landlords - most are "small fish" it would seem with one property or no more than four. That shines an important light on a sector which is, I think, widely misunderstood.

The observation on the "3-bed semis" is anecdotal but supported by evidence from areas like Harrow, Brent and elsewhere. It may well be some operate legally - I'm far from convinced all do.

I can only speak for Newham but your comments on the housing department may not be wholly inaccurate. I don't know how the investigation of reported HMO breaches is undertaken but I know it can be a lengthy process as evidence is gathered.

I've seen some evidence in another aspect regarding some organisations who used to have property Guardians in their premises found the HMO process unnecessarily costly and bureaucratic and got rid of the Guardians so it's a double edged sword. Guardianship can be a useful short term solution especially for key workers but it's not without its issues - for all the Guardians have to sign up to very restrictive tenancies, there's little or no enforcement of the terms in some instances.
    Thanks for the reply.

Generally, LL organisations are very harsh on the HMO issue - correctly.

Guardians use a form of flexible tenure called "License to Occupy", which has pros and cons. Listening to a story about the new officeblock development by the Southwark Charities to fund new almshouse flats the other day, I was surprised to hear they use the same form for tenants of their properties. In some ways it is like a lodger agreement.

I got hold of the cost model Newham used to set their "cost-covering" license charges, back in around 2010, and they said it took one of their staff around half an hour on average to check the ownership of a property at the Land Registry. The task involves typing the post code and house number into the website and reading the name on the two page PDF, plus trace through the very occasional query.

IMO one core issue is that the 2004 Housing Act enabled the creation of horribly complicated processes and setups.

A second is that some places treat it as a political campaign.

A third is that there is very little incentive for regulation to be very very good.

And a fourth is that the whole thing is bedevilled by appallingly lazy reporting, and lack of understanding by organisations with the ear of politicians.

Thanks, anyhoo.

Let's think about what Emma's odds for SPoTY will be in the event she wins/doesn't win. She's roughly 1.6 to win tonight and also 1.6 to win SPoTY.

So, if she wins, let's say he odds for SPoTY move to 1.3, then that would imply that the market thought that she had the following chances for SPoTY before the final:

Wins the final - 77%
    Doesn't win the final - 38%

Does that feel about right? Or should the difference in those two percentage be bigger? Odds of 1.1 would imply

Wins the final - 91%
    Doesn't win the final - 15%
    edited September 2021

tlg86 said:

Come on, that's piss poor excuse. Newspapers / major media websites use up to date photos for all sorts of things every day.
    The big media companies have accounts which allow them to do that, unlimited use of the entire database. Smaller ones cannot.

Here's a Covid-19 supply shortage stock photo that costs £375 per use if you don't have an unlimited contract.

https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/detail/photo/empty-shelves-royalty-free-image/1215011353?adppopup=true
    But nobody is criticising the Outer Shetland Herald for doing this. People are pointing out the likes of the Guardian have been caught with their pants down, as have MPs.

And there are now these magical devices, called smart phones, that take photos....and if you have a Google Pixel, I hear they take very good ones. Again, you aren't talking about wanting a photo of the Panjshir valley in Afghanistan.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 38,840

Nigelb said:

Polly Toynbee
    He could keep throwing in some super populist policies each election. I am convinced there will a restoration of capital punishment for cop killers and nonces before Johnson's tenure is finally up

He doesn't believes that it is right, any more than I do. But if it keeps his dream alive, who cares?
    In which case, if it works and he gets his 12 years, we will be in right old state by the time he goes. Penury made bearable only by subsidized ale and brutish public entertainments.
    edited September 2021
    FF43 said:

MattW said:

Indeed statistics can be confusing. Per the FDF, there was a £2 billion fall in exports to the EU in Q1 and in a later press release a £2 billion fall in overall exports in H1 where a rise in non-EU exports failed to compensate for a fall in EU exports.
    My beef here is that they have not reconciled the two, and are trying to generate unjustified jeremiads.

If it hasn't improved, why are they not claiming a £3bn or £4bn fall in First Half exports?

I think it is a story similar to the various sectors treating Covid as a Shrieking-contest in search of most Government support.

Effectively, the Industry Federation that Cried Wolf.
  • Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,279

Nigelb said:

Polly Toynbee

If that's what voters want, what's the problem? I wouldn't support it myself though.
  • FF43FF43 Posts: 15,542
    MattW said:

FF43 said:

MattW said:

My beef here is that they have not reconciled the two, and are trying to generate unjustified jeremiads.

If it hasn't improved, why are they not claiming a £3bn or £4bn fall in First Half exports?

I think it is a story similar to the various sectors treating Covid as a Shrieking-contest in search of most Government support.

Effectively, the Industry Federation that Cried Wolf.
    Why should they? They are two different numbers in two self-contained press releases that co-incidentally happen to have the same value and you have latched onto this as, I suppose, a "shrieking-contest" of your own.

I don't hold a brief for the Food and Drink Federation but I would say both press releases are factual and clear and you have somewhat traduced them through misunderstanding the statistics.
  • TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 113,956
    edited September 2021
    Hmmm.

Prince Charles wrote a gushing thank-you letter to a Russian businessman, offering to meet him, days after receiving a six-figure donation for his charity.

When the gift was made in May last year, Charles told Dmitry Leus, 51, a banker seeking British citizenship, that he was “incredibly grateful” for his “immense generosity” to the Prince’s Foundation and that the money had given him “great comfort”......

....However, the money had to be returned months later after the Prince’s Foundation’s ethics committee raised concerns about the Russian’s background. Leus had been found guilty in Russia of money-laundering before having his conviction overturned.

The prince is now fighting on numerous fronts after a regulator began an investigation of his charity’s dealings with Leus, and The Sunday Times uncovered evidence of possible deception involving his donations, which totalled £535,000.

After it was decided that the gift could not be accepted by the Prince’s Foundation, Leus was told by its deputy executive director, Chris Martin, that the money had instead gone to another charity of which Charles is patron, Children & the Arts.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/prince-charles-offered-castle-meeting-to-murky-russian-donor-0xpc3v30k

Carnyx said:

tlg86 said:

kinabalu said:

tlg86 said:

Certainly it being on Channel 4 will help, but the reason Peaty is short-ish is because of the dancing, not the swimming.

Yes, great news about CH4. Means I can watch.

Btw, not to bring abortion from PT onto here, but I just wanted to check with you. You said that given the (I agree ridiculous) choice between (i) banning abortion entirely and (ii) having no legal limits and just trusting women with the decision, you'd go for (i).

Did you truly mean this?
    Yes.
    A moral question, my answer to which I would normally leave to others better qualified in medical terms. But a complete ban? Have you not seen Vera Drake?
    IIRC, OKC was speaking the other day of these happy years. There was a very considerable reduction in mortality thanks to illegal abortions when the Act was passed. (ANd that would also apply to the RoI, insofar as the UK dealt with the problem for them.)
    The problem is as the pro-life crusaders gain more and more geographical ground there will be fewer safe harbours for those requiring the service.

I am not moralising on whether that is good or bad, just saying ...

(On balance it is probably not good)
    I'm sorry, but your choice of language was hardly that of an impartial observer.

'Crusaders'

'Safe harbours'

You could have gone with 'camaigners' and 'places'.
    I believe my language could be applied to zealots on the other side of the argument too. But I take your point, and maybe not "harbours".

I am genuinely conflicted. I am uncomfortable with elements from both sides of the argument. On balance I guess I have more problems with some of the pro-life religious justifications.
  • CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,116

Hmmm.

Prince Charles wrote a gushing thank-you letter to a Russian businessman, offering to meet him, days after receiving a six-figure donation for his charity.

When the gift was made in May last year, Charles told Dmitry Leus, 51, a banker seeking British citizenship, that he was “incredibly grateful” for his “immense generosity” to the Prince’s Foundation and that the money had given him “great comfort”......

....However, the money had to be returned months later after the Prince’s Foundation’s ethics committee raised concerns about the Russian’s background. Leus had been found guilty in Russia of money-laundering before having his conviction overturned.

The prince is now fighting on numerous fronts after a regulator began an investigation of his charity’s dealings with Leus, and The Sunday Times uncovered evidence of possible deception involving his donations, which totalled £535,000.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/prince-charles-offered-castle-meeting-to-murky-russian-donor-0xpc3v30k

You don't suppose there is a campaign for King William V going on? The Times is supposed to be the establishment paper. It's not exactly the Morning Star.
  • Carnyx said:

Hmmm.

You don't suppose there is a campaign for King William V going on? The Times is supposed to be the establishment paper. It's not exactly the Morning Star.
    I added some more to the original post.

The campaign for King William V seems to be run by Prince Charles with his shocking behaviour.
  • However, last night Children & the Arts said it had no idea that any money had come to it from Leus, that the letter had not been sent by it and that it was in the process of being wound up. It remains unclear what happened to Leus’s donation. He said he had not ruled out taking legal action.
This discussion has been closed.