Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Bet on Raducanu for SPOTY before tonight’s final – politicalbetting.com

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    edited September 2021
    The only player who took 5 games in a set off Raducanu was the unseeded Mariam Bolkvadze in the qualification rounds.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Quincel said:

Well this aged well! Simply extraordinary match. I never thought I'd see a qualifier win a Grand Slam, the tour is so professional now compared to the earlier Open Era that it just seemed impossible. And not dropping a set? Insane. Literally one of the greatest achievements in British sport for the last decade plus. I really think that.

Best British sporting achievement since 2005.
    Ashes win? I know he’s not won a major since 2014, but Rory really was exceptional for a few years. Always hard to assess someone like Lewis Hamilton (100-1, btw), but his achievements are pretty impressive too.
    Yeah, Hamilton is such a domineering machine I think of him as just Hamilton. Same with Schumacher before him, he was just Schumacher.

Amusing commentary on the Prime coverage, one just saying that she can get a well deserved drink now - before the other points out she's not allowed a drink in the USA. 😂
  • Options

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Number 23 in the world now. With no points to drop, it won't take much to take her into the top 10. And higher.

2/15 for SPOTY now.
    I cannot imagine anyone else getting close
    Some furious Olympians right now - they only get one opportunity every 4 years to grab attention!
    I thought Tom Daley was nailed on. But no. They should give him a spesh prize anyway

But this girl will win SPOTY, no question
    Daley and the other bloke should get team of the year.
    Yes, that's an excellent compromise
    England football team will get a lot of votes for team of the year
    Is there even a vote for team of the year? I reckon they will use the team award to escape an over-long SPotY shortlist in a year where we gained 22 Olympic golds, 41 Paralympic golds, the Euro 2020 finals and apparently some bird's had a good run in the tennis. Maybe the Paralympians or the swimmers or the cyclists.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Number 23 in the world now. With no points to drop, it won't take much to take her into the top 10. And higher.

2/15 for SPOTY now.
    Some furious Olympians right now - they only get one opportunity every 4 years to grab attention!
    I thought Tom Daley was nailed on. But no. They should give him a spesh prize anyway

I don’t think there’s a public vote for anything but the main award.
  • Options
    What did you do in lockdown....most people....well i tried getting fit, got bored, got fat....emma Raducanu, became a world class tennis player....
  • Options
    HeathenerHeathener Posts: 5,258
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

£1.8 million for the winner. £900,000 for the runner-up. Not a bad day's work.

A couple more days like that and she might even be able to afford a house.
    Apparently she already has 50 million as a result of this
    The endorsement offers will be insane - she better have a good agent to make sure she gets the best deals.
    Yep. I remember when Maria Sharapova took the Wimbledon title at 17 and became an overnight global superstar. This will be the same for Emma Raducanu. She ticks every box for our times.
    Potentially a lot bigger than Sharapova. She's got a posh British accent (north Americans will like that), she speaks English (obvs), Wimbledon will be her home stage, she's charming and educated, she's got a great immigration backstory, she's just done something absolutely unprecedented in her sport. And she is extremely good

She's minted whatever she does, her coaches, managers and family will need to be very careful as she chooses between a "normal" life and earning billions having a boring life of endless sport.

A bit of me wants to advise her to give up now. Take the £50m. Go and do something else. Be a more rounded person. Drink and party and fall in love. She's already made history

I know what you mean. But here's one expectation:

Just as Virginia Wade won Wimbledon for The Queen's silver jubilee, the nation will be hoping she can take the title for The Queen's platinum jubilee next year.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Quincel said:

Well this aged well! Simply extraordinary match. I never thought I'd see a qualifier win a Grand Slam, the tour is so professional now compared to the earlier Open Era that it just seemed impossible. And not dropping a set? Insane. Literally one of the greatest achievements in British sport for the last decade plus. I really think that.

Ashes win? I know he’s not won a major since 2014, but Rory really was exceptional for a few years. Always hard to assess someone like Lewis Hamilton (100-1, btw), but his achievements are pretty impressive too.
    Yeah, Hamilton is such a domineering machine I think of him as just Hamilton. Same with Schumacher before him, he was just Schumacher.

Amusing commentary on the Prime coverage, one just saying that she can get a well deserved drink now - before the other points out she's not allowed a drink in the USA. 😂
    It used to be 18 in New York. Have they brought it into line with the rest of the country? Ah, 1985 apparently.
    https://www.nytimes.com/1985/06/19/nyregion/new-york-raising-its-drinking-age-to-21-in-december.html
  • Options
    Greg Rusedski just said on Prime that she'll win SPOTY. Kind of nailed on now I'd say.
  • Options

Huge congratulations @EmmaRaducanu on your stunning performances and historic Grand Slam victory! Incredible –we are all so proud of you.

@LeylahFernandez well done on your amazing achievements at this year’s #USOpen, it’s been a pleasure to watch. C

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/status/1436817023150039043?s=20

Somebody must have reminded Her Maj that she is also Queen of Canada!

So will it be Dame Emma in the New Year Honours?

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited September 2021
    By no means an expert in tennis, but exciting thing about Raducanu, is you can see how she can get even better. There is more to come from the serve and also that ability to craft rallies, move your opponent around and also have the killer drop shot, the crafty lob, etc.

She has literally duffed up every opponent with ease even without some of those skills.
  • Options

What did you do in lockdown....most people....well i tried getting fit, got bored, got fat....emma Raducanu, became a world class tennis player....

Oh and got her a-levels as well.

Bloody show offs....
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,147
    tlg86 said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

2/15 for SPOTY now.

Also England fucking LOST. At home. In a lame-ass way. Against an easily beatable Italy team. And they lost in the same way they keep losing, by playing cowardly defensive football as soon as they take a lead

Fuck England and fuck Southgate. No medals for losers
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Greg Rusedski just said on Prime that she'll win SPOTY. Kind of nailed on now I'd say.

I like Greg Rusedski, but I’m glad we’ve come along way from giving SPoTY to someone who came second.
  • Options
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

tlg86 said:

Quincel said:

It used to be 18 in New York. Have they brought it into line with the rest of the country? Ah, 1985 apparently.
    https://www.nytimes.com/1985/06/19/nyregion/new-york-raising-its-drinking-age-to-21-in-december.html
    A number of states raised it in the 80s, if memory serves, because the Reagan administration tied various federal highway funds to doing so (on the basis it was a measure aimed at cutting drink-driving). I've always found this a tad ironic,
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

The endorsement offers will be insane - she better have a good agent to make sure she gets the best deals.
    Yep. I remember when Maria Sharapova took the Wimbledon title at 17 and became an overnight global superstar. This will be the same for Emma Raducanu. She ticks every box for our times.
    Potentially a lot bigger than Sharapova. She's got a posh British accent (north Americans will like that), she speaks English (obvs), Wimbledon will be her home stage, she's charming and educated, she's got a great immigration backstory, she's just done something absolutely unprecedented in her sport. And she is extremely good

She's minted whatever she does, her coaches, managers and family will need to be very careful as she chooses between a "normal" life and earning billions having a boring life of endless sport.

A bit of me wants to advise her to give up now. Take the £50m. Go and do something else. Be a more rounded person. Drink and party and fall in love. She's already made history

Just as Virginia Wade won Wimbledon for The Queen's silver jubilee, the nation will be hoping she can take the title for The Queen's platinum jubilee next year.
    The Queen's Derby hope for next year, Reach for the Moon, was beaten in the Champagne Stakes on Saturday. Out to 16/1 but still second favourite.
  • Options
    We love immigration now we have a tennis star
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    You put you vaccine passport in, you take you vaccine passport, in, out, shake it all about....
  • Options

By no means an expert in tennis, but exciting thing about Raducanu, is you can see how she can get even better. There is more to come from the serve and also that ability to craft rallies, move your opponent around and also have the killer drop shot, the crafty lob, etc.

She has literally duffed up every opponent with ease even without some of those skills.

And she didn't even know the surface she was playing on. I can't remember which of the pundits said it, but apparently Dame Emma (I'm ready for it) said two weeks ago that she'd only just realised she could slide on it.
  • Options

Nah, we love grammar schools. :wink:
  • Options
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Yes, if I was a family member, I would maybe advise her to dominate tennis for 2 or 3 years, then go do something else. Win Wimbledon next year (as you suggest) but then go do something different.

These players who do nothing but one sport, hmmm, is it good for them? Federer is the most boring man on earth

She can make tens of millions in 3 seasons then have an entirely different and richer life
  • Options

We need to be slightly careful in that Raducanu has not faced a true champion yet, but on the other hand the field is very much open.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Nah, we love grammar schools. :wink:
    Makes a change from thickos from second class private schools like Millfield winning at posho sports.
  • Options
    Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

2/15 for SPOTY now.

Also England fucking LOST. At home. In a lame-ass way. Against an easily beatable Italy team. And they lost in the same way they keep losing, by playing cowardly defensive football as soon as they take a lead

You are Piers Morgan and I claim £5
  • Options
    Quincel said:

tlg86 said:

Quincel said:

A number of states raised it in the 80s, if memory serves, because the Reagan administration tied various federal highway funds to doing so (on the basis it was a measure aimed at cutting drink-driving). I've always found this a tad ironic,
    The GOP's insistence on states' rights is stronger under Democrat Presidents.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,728
    edited September 2021

Oh for crying out loud let's not pretend right now that the average person in favour of less immigration, and certainly illegal immigration, is somehow chastened because someone who's family came over when she was two won.

It presumes most people in favour of restricting immigration are literally against any immigration at all and it's just plain stupid to pretend that is what most normal people mean.

Raducanu winning does not impact on or change the immigration debate one iota, in favour or against.
  • Options

We need to be slightly careful in that Raducanu has not faced a true champion yet, but on the other hand the field is very much open.
    She beat the Olympic champion
  • Options
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Yes, if I was a family member, I would maybe advise her to dominate tennis for 2 or 3 years, then go do something else. Win Wimbledon next year (as you suggest) but then go do something different.

These players who do nothing but one sport, hmmm, is it good for them? Federer is the most boring man on earth

She can make tens of millions in 3 seasons then have an entirely different and richer life
    Roger Federer is a big cricket fan who knows all the stats so you can't be right/wrong (delete as appropriate)
  • Options
    I find it very distressing how Boris Johnson is slowly destroying the Tory Party, what a shame for a once great institution to be in the gutter
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Oh for crying out loud let's not pretend right now that the average person in favour of less immigration, and certainly illegal immigration, is somehow chastened because someone who's family came over when she was two won.

It presumes most people in favour of restricting immigration are literally against any immigration at all and it's just plain stupid to pretend that is what most normal people mean.
    I wonder, had her parents decided to stay in Canada, would she be where she is now? Obviously she has the attributes, but who knows how things would have worked out for her.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Roger Federer is a big cricket fan who knows all the stats so you can't be right/wrong (delete as appropriate)
    Really? I wonder how he got into the sport.

And there are far more boring sports stars than Federer. He at least projects a sense of coolness.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

I think that's a fair point, but with Williams career definitely nearly over, there isn't at the moment a player in the women's gane that is just that combination of over powering physical attributes combined with the skill and that special mental x-factor.

What is it that they same you need talent and luck (of the timing) e.g..Bill Gates born even 5 years earlier or later and he probably wouldn't be one of the richest men in the world.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Do the Swiss have a reputation for being fabulously interesting otherwise? This is not a national slight, but I'm just wondering if tennis is wholly to blame.
  • Options

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

2/15 for SPOTY now.

I thought I was Eadric?

*confused*
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

2/15 for SPOTY now.

I thought I was Eadric?

*confused*
    Everyone knows who you are.
  • Options

Bloody show offs....
    They only seem to quote 2, is that all she managed? Pah.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Strictly
    Celebrity Bake-Off
    Jungle
    Purple Bricks ads

And Sports Science at Loughborough Uni.

On second thoughts, stick to the tennis.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

2/15 for SPOTY now.

I thought I was Eadric?

*confused*
    No, you really don't
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

2/15 for SPOTY now.

I thought I was Eadric?

*confused*
    No, you really don't
    We do. But it's fun to play along anyway.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

I wonder, had her parents decided to stay in Canada, would she be where she is now? Obviously she has the attributes, but who knows how things would have worked out for her.
    Well the Canadian system seemed to have worked well for Fernandez, but perhaps Raducanu would have become a hockey player instead.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,667
    Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Frankly, if I could beat everybody else at tennis on most days, I'd be looking to play as often as possible. Same for any other sport.

Sod the money, think of the sheer pleasure of winning.
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Sad to admit I never knew Wade had won 2 slams before her Wimbledon win.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Bloody show offs....
    They only seem to quote 2, is that all she managed? Pah.
    Probably wasted all her time watching tik tok all day.....
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

2/15 for SPOTY now.

I thought I was Eadric?

*confused*
    No, you really don't
    Your Twitter account kinda gives it away, totally.
  • Options

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Strictly
    Celebrity Bake-Off
    Jungle
    Purple Bricks ads

All fair - if she is dim. But by all accounts she is bloody smart. Mandarin and good A Levels on top of the tennis?

Once she's made £30m (which she could do in 3 summers) why waste a good brain endlessly repeating the same circuit of tedium?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

tlg86 said:

kle4 said:

Well the Canadian system seemed to have worked well for Fernandez, but perhaps Raducanu would have become a hockey player instead.
    It’s nice to know that our system has worked on this occasion. She looks like she enjoys the game, which is a big plus as otherwise I bet it’s fairly tedious.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/PoliticsForAlI/status/1436829852095688709

He could just write "fuck off if you don't want to win elections" and it would have the same effect
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Strictly
    Celebrity Bake-Off
    Jungle
    Purple Bricks ads

All fair - if she is dim. But by all accounts she is bloody smart. Mandarin and good A Levels on top of the tennis?

Once she's made £30m (which she could do in 3 summers) why waste a good brain endlessly repeating the same circuit of tedium?
    The sheer pleasure of winning, again and again.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Really? I wonder how he got into the sport.

And there are far more boring sports stars than Federer. He at least projects a sense of coolness.
    I heard a TMS lunchtime slot with one of an England team who had all met him at some event and he knew who they all were and talked cricket stats with them.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Frankly, if I could beat everybody else at tennis on most days, I'd be looking to play as often as possible. Same for any other sport.

I can suggest a much better interview question and response after her next win then.

Interviewer: How do you feel about this win?
    Emma: Ah, that this is the best in life. To crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentations of their supporters.
  • Options
    Piers Morgan knows a lot about walking off sets
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

I like Greg Rusedski, but I’m glad we’ve come along way from giving SPoTY to someone who came second.
    In fairness, the 1997 crowd wasn't exactly a stacked year. 2nd place was Henman who had won some events below the Grand Slam tier and 3rd place was Steve Redgrave who had won some stuff at the Rowing World Championships which, rightly or wrongly, isn't a major event on the British sporting calendar.

I think Rusedski's US Open final probably was the biggest British sporting achievement of the year, at least by an individual.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Strictly
    Celebrity Bake-Off
    Jungle
    Purple Bricks ads

Most champions at sports are so driven and love it so much, they never want to give it up, nothing ever replaces that feeling for them..even with pushy parents, to get to the top (especially now a days), just half heartedly having a go, won't get you there.

Elite sport you are set for life if you win one big event, but most of the greatest have to be dragged off the pitch, court, etc. Now there are exceptions, people who just do it because they are good at it, but the GOATs, they never eant it to end. Hence Federer in tennis, Tom Brady in NFL, Messi and Ronaldo in the football.

And even ones that do walk away earlier, often by they time they get to 35-40, they deeply regret it.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

2/15 for SPOTY now.

I thought I was Eadric?

*confused*
    No, you really don't
    Have you ever considered someone is winding you up?

Surprising naivety
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Strictly
    Celebrity Bake-Off
    Jungle
    Purple Bricks ads

Why do champions of all kinds keep playing as long as they can even if they have achieved all they possibly can? It's in part all they know, but also for love of the game. Some don't have that love and drop early, but others keep on and keep on.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,964
    Gavin Williamson was first to congratulate our new US Open champion Maku Vunipola.
    From Rory Bremner.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

2/15 for SPOTY now.

I thought I was Eadric?

*confused*
    No, you really don't

Surprising naivety
    The most arrogant thing about you is how you assume that we're all idiots, it's just embarrassing and you're digging yourself into a hole
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

I can suggest a much better interview question and response after her next win then.

Emma: Ah, that this is the best in life. To crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear the lamentations of their supporters.
    Haha. Here's the list of Grand Slam, World Champions etc. who didn't really enjoy winning:

• Options
    I will await the sweary response from the particular user - and with that I will wish you all a good night.

Well done Raducanu.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

In fairness, the 1997 crowd wasn't exactly a stacked year. 2nd place was Henman who had won some events below the Grand Slam tier and 3rd place was Steve Redgrave who had won some stuff at the Rowing World Championships which, rightly or wrongly, isn't a major event on the British sporting calendar.

I think Rusedski's US Open final probably was the biggest British sporting achievement of the year, at least by an individual.
    Redgrave really ought to have won in 1997, but you’re right about world championships - only athletics are deemed worthy of respect.

Emma wouldn’t have had a chance in SPoTY had she lost tonight.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Strictly
    Celebrity Bake-Off
    Jungle
    Purple Bricks ads

Most champions at sports are so driven and love it so much, they never want to give it up, nothing ever replaces that feeling for them..even with pushy parents, to get to the top (especially now a days), just half heartedly having a go, won't get you there.

Elite sport you are set for life if you win one big event, but most of the greatest have to be dragged off the pitch, court, etc. Now there are exceptions, people who just do it because they are good at it, but the GOATs, they never eant it to end. Hence Federer in tennis, Tom Brady in NFL, Messi and Ronaldo in the football.

And even ones that do walk away earlier, often by they time they get to 35-40, they deeply regret it.
    Fair

But also look at Bjorn Borg and Boris Becker. Tricky
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Strictly
    Celebrity Bake-Off
    Jungle
    Purple Bricks ads

Why do champions of all kinds keep playing as long as they can even if they have achieved all they possibly can? It's in part all they know, but also for love of the game. Some don't have that love and drop early, but others keep on and keep on.
    You see it in other areas, why do the Rolling Stones keep gigging. It aint the money.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

2/15 for SPOTY now.

I thought I was Eadric?

*confused*
    No, you really don't

Surprising naivety
    The most arrogant thing about you is how you assume that we're all idiots, it's just embarrassing and you're digging yourself into a hole
    Alternatively, no one cares who someone is or claims to be so it just doesn't matter and certainly isn't worth getting het up about if someone were to be claiming an identity other than their own.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Strictly
    Celebrity Bake-Off
    Jungle
    Purple Bricks ads

Fair

But also look at Bjorn Borg and Boris Becker. Tricky
    Borg is the exception. I can then list you 10, 20, 50, champions they dragged off the court from agassi to now Murray. Andy Murray has had serious serious hip surgery juat for the chance of another match.
  • Options
    Casey Stoner. There’s a great who called it a day quite early.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Haha. Here's the list of Grand Slam, World Champions etc. who didn't really enjoy winning:

Ronnie O'Sullivan....is probably the one that comes to mind.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Strictly
    Celebrity Bake-Off
    Jungle
    Purple Bricks ads

Also you only have a very limited window of opportunity to make the most of your talents.

Its not like you can as an elite athlete decide to step back, do something else then 10-15 years later think "I miss the sport, lets give it another go".
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

2/15 for SPOTY now.

I thought I was Eadric?

*confused*
    No, you really don't

Surprising naivety
    The surprising naivety is that you think you can post the same tosh on here and on Twitter and not expect people to make the connection.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Strictly
    Celebrity Bake-Off
    Jungle
    Purple Bricks ads

Steffi Graf stands out as a GOAT who struggled back from injury but then walked away soon after she won another Grand Slam and was playing world number one level tennis. It was as if once she'd proved herself against the next generation of players, that was enough.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Strictly
    Celebrity Bake-Off
    Jungle
    Purple Bricks ads

Steffi Graf stands out as a GOAT who struggled back from injury but then walked away soon after she won another Grand Slam and was playing world number one level tennis. It was as if once she'd proved herself against the next generation of players, that was enough.
    Be interesting to know if she regrets it.

Where as Martina Navratilova felt like she was still playing at 50...in the doubles, anything to keep playing the majors.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

tlg86 said:

Heathener said:

England actually had a chance at regaining the Ashes that year - won the first Test out of the blue - but then rather buggered things up.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Strictly
    Celebrity Bake-Off
    Jungle
    Purple Bricks ads

Nico Rosberg in F1 as well. Finally won a title over Hamilton, and just retired when he could well have been in the middle of his career.
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

2/15 for SPOTY now.

I thought I was Eadric?

*confused*
    No, you really don't

Surprising naivety
    The surprising naivety is that you think you can post the same tosh on here and on Twitter and not expect people to make the connection.
    A difference between not expecting people to make a connection and playing a game of people with people who have 'figured it out'. It is what it is, I don't know why it causes a flare up from time to time.

Pleasant night to everyone.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Strictly
    Celebrity Bake-Off
    Jungle
    Purple Bricks ads

Nico Rosberg in F1 as well. Finally won a title over Hamilton, and just retired when he could well have been in the middle of his career.
    I think he was pretty sure he'd never win another one. Perhaps not very confident for a champion, but it kind of made sense.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    Quincel said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Strictly
    Celebrity Bake-Off
    Jungle
    Purple Bricks ads

But was he ever going to be the GOAT, another senna or Schumacher? Or was he a very good driver who got the right gig for that year, like the way Button did?
  • Options

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Strictly
    Celebrity Bake-Off
    Jungle
    Purple Bricks ads

One reason I consider Federer the GOAT is he came through when there was a lot of talent. He beat Sampras at Wimbledon in 2001. Should go on to win, right? Wrong, he lost to Henman who then lost to Ivanisevic. Winning Wimbledon back then was incredibly tough.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,964
    kle4 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

2/15 for SPOTY now.

I thought I was Eadric?

*confused*
    No, you really don't

Surprising naivety
    A difference between not expecting people to make a connection and playing a game of people with people who have 'figured it out'. It is what it is, I don't know why it causes a flare up from time to time.

Pleasant night to everyone.
    It's quite possibly the most tedious subject discussed on here. Quite why anyone cares is beyond me.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Hilariously on replay as Raducanu drops to her knees for the win she swivels so she doesn't land on her injured leg dead on.

Although she does seem to put her weight on that injured knee when she gets up again.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/tennis/58533591
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    tlg86 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Strictly
    Celebrity Bake-Off
    Jungle
    Purple Bricks ads

One reason I consider Federer the GOAT is he came through when there was a lot of talent. He beat Sampras at Wimbledon in 2001. Should go on to win, right? Wrong, he lost to Henman who then lost to Ivanisevic. Winning Wimbledon back then was incredibly tough.
    You think his amazing career has been at the same time as Nadal and the old antivaxxer COVID super spreader ...two of the other greatest players who have ever lived.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Bobby Fischer.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

tlg86 said:

Bobby Fischer.
    Yeah but he was bat shit crazy!

He like that Perelman, the russian mathematics genius, who won't take his million dollar prize nor any academic positions, instead living in his mothers basement.
  • Options

Quincel said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Strictly
    Celebrity Bake-Off
    Jungle
    Purple Bricks ads

But was he ever going to be the GOAT, another senna or Schumacher? Or was he a very good driver who got the right gig for that year, like the way Button did?
    Probably not, but he was a champion at the highest level who was certainly capable of competing at that level but chose to avoid the fight despite a plausible shot at further glory.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Hilariously on replay as Raducanu drops to her knees for the win she swivels so she doesn't land on her injured leg dead on.

Although she does seem to put her weight on that injured knee when she gets up again.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/tennis/58533591
    I think the leg injury was just a graze. And I think she took less time getting that seen to than Fernandez did having a dump after the first set.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Strictly
    Celebrity Bake-Off
    Jungle
    Purple Bricks ads

You think his amazing career has been at the same time as Nadal and the old antivaxxer COVID super spreader ...two of the other greatest players who have ever lived.
    Hopefully the anti-vaxxer doesn’t get the international award. Should go to Tom Brady.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

More of an element of self preservation in quitting his sport than most of the others mentioned
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

Leon said:

Heathener said:

kle4 said:

Strictly
    Celebrity Bake-Off
    Jungle
    Purple Bricks ads

Hopefully the anti-vaxxer doesn’t get the international award. Should go to Tom Brady.
    Man Brady was good on Thursday....Bloody 44 years old and still got it.
  • Options
    Does Graff’s GOAT status have an asterisk because of what happened to Monica Selas?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,981
    Martina is the greatest of all time. Not sure why there is any debate TBH.
  • Options

Martina is the greatest of all time. Not sure why there is any debate TBH.

Navratilova v Hingis at their peaks would be a game to watch
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,604
    Tim Henman will always be the greatest.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

gealbhan said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

So who will be watching Last Night of the Proms tonight? Someone's got to make sure all the old songs are still there while the rest of us watch the tennis. You'd think Channel 4 would have splashed it on their website but no.

Let’s hope somebody is, choleric EU flag count by the Gammons has become a fine tradition.
    As is, equally, a hand wringing series of articles in the guardian saying ‘how can we let this jingoistic Rule Britannia nonsense go on’

The guardian publishes this wank because their idiot readers lap it up. Every year. Without fail. I
    I haven't seen anything on it in the Guardian today. Could you direct me to it?
    It worries me that you’re a doctor. You’re not the brightest

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/sep/10/rewrite-rule-britannia-what-would-you-do-with-the-last-night-of-the-proms?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
    Jersulem also stolen from the intention of the original prose, nor is it remotely as good or as patriotic as Parry’s blessed pair, thanks to fact Jerusalem not a real hymn, so we can swap that out for a change and have a far better prom.

Jerusalem is an exceptionally great poem.
    Jerusalem is remarkable for being claimed by both right and left -- as a paean to England and to socialism.
    “ paean … and to socialism. “

Absolutely none of it is paean to Socialism. Which bit were you thinking of?
    Dark satanic mills ... building the new Jerusalem.
    the one reference to a mill dark and satanic is poetic reference to an actual mill gutted by fire standing between a poet’s home and his bread shop – possibly gutted in industrial dispute over pay. Blake believed in hell, to him this ruin looked like hell had visited it. This is what poets do.

It’s not written as a hymn called Jerusalem - who said it was, it’s preamble to Milton.
    the reference to Jerusalem is Blake’s genuine belief Jesus and Joseph were building a bit of Jerusalem here. They were here, it may have been more than business, they may have been looking for a bolt hole if the sectarian war got much worse. As it proved, despite being on the leadership council, Joseph couldn’t stop them getting Jesus bumped off.

As an historical person Jesus is certainly not wholly owned by Christianity. Not that his own religion cares to make much fuss of him. He was a Jew, called Yeshua, likely born into an extended family with Hellenised (Greek influenced) views, so possible but not certain he may have heard the Greek words Jesus and Christ in his lifetime. Why is Christianity so Greek? It was a language most widely used, so Romans utilised Greek to promote their empire, that was essentially a commercial project. The language of the Roman Empire was Greek. The first Christian documents, those of Paul, were written in Greek whilst in Greece. In the sectarian make up of Judea at the time of Yeshua’s birth there is likely to have been contention between Hellenised Jews, looking to adopt Greek Platonic philosophy along with the Torah, versus Orthodox Jews, such as the Pharisee, opposing this approach. So a child born not just into a family of wealth, religious and political leadership, but born moreover into sectarian disagreement.

Before the time of his ministry there is something like a “gap year” about a decade and a half little evidence what young Yeshua was up to, other than he was associate of Joseph of Arimathea - this is someone who may have been Yeshua’s relative such as his Mother’s Uncle, for the considerate in loco parentis he showed Yoshua throughout remainder of his life and death we can call him Uncle. Uncle Joseph was a wealthy Rabbi, with trading links around the Mediterranean, Europe including Britain, also worked on building projects in pursuit of “the kingdom”. He may have been an Essenes - the sect who wrote the Dead Sea scrolls. It’s widely documented Joseph swapped the sunny skies of Judea for our clouded hills and pastures green at least once, he died at Glastonbury. And not simply in exile or mission, its possible for someone with his wealth and business links he owned the settlement and the surrounding lands.

Blake enthusiastically researched the oral history’s of Britain, Europe and the Mediterranean looking for and finding correlating evidence for Yeshua’s visit to Britain.

In the poets mind it was literal. You are projecting. And wrong.
    The Labour Party sings Jerusalem. As I said, it is claimed by both sides.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--dfp4b6akU
    For me, and bearing in mind I am really not a fan of socialism at all, I think it is ridiculous to claim that it belongs to one side or another. It is a poem/song about hope and striving for a better country. That belongs to all mainstream political parties - or should anyway. I love Jerusalem for its poignancy and it is a million times better as a song and a tune than, for example, Rule Britannia.
    Hear, hear: I am a fan of neither socialism, nor organized religion, but Jerusalem is a beautiful poem, and a very complex piece of music.
    It’s just too damn hard on my organ.
    Are you channelling TSE now ? Ooh arr Mrs!
    Nah, it’s just that my organ for all its breadth and 16 foot horn has only two manuals and therefore you can’t do the contrasts easily.

At Cannock, where you have a bit in reserve, it’s easier to do the climax.
    Yeah. And that’s it then, isn’t it? I put up results of a lifetimes study and research - what Blake literally said and believed in his jottings in preamble to Milton, and - out with the organ, searching for a climax, oooh errr, double entendre, everyone watching two teen girls play tennis on a second screen.
    And this response is going to be as good as it gets? I’ll just have to take it for it is - another historic night on PB.com.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,995

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I wonder if there is a possibility of seeing the Tories in the 20s by the end of the year

The thing that could be very dangerous for the Tories is if the voters start questioning Brexit - either was there any point to it or was it bungled? With tax hikes, empty shelves, labour shortages, triple-lock cancellations etc. both are now quite capable of taking hold. If Boris loses his Brexit-gratitude support then there's not much else left.
    Well, certainly there is no sign of Brexit gathering support. I have always said that Brexit will go with a whimper rather than a bang.
    I’m puzzled as to what support it needs? It’s done.
    It needs support for the pendulum to not swing back. I think EEA or a similar Swiss style arrangement very possible in the next decade.
    It's not a pendulum issue though. An EEA-style arrangement just doesn't make sense for a country of our size and no amount of remorse about Brexit would change the fundamentals.
    whats making sense got to do with it?

as you told us 1,000,000 times brexit made no sense... but they did it
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,274

New thread

• Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,230
    gealbhan said:

ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

rcs1000 said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

gealbhan said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

So who will be watching Last Night of the Proms tonight? Someone's got to make sure all the old songs are still there while the rest of us watch the tennis. You'd think Channel 4 would have splashed it on their website but no.

Let’s hope somebody is, choleric EU flag count by the Gammons has become a fine tradition.
    As is, equally, a hand wringing series of articles in the guardian saying ‘how can we let this jingoistic Rule Britannia nonsense go on’

The guardian publishes this wank because their idiot readers lap it up. Every year. Without fail. I
    I haven't seen anything on it in the Guardian today. Could you direct me to it?
    It worries me that you’re a doctor. You’re not the brightest

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/sep/10/rewrite-rule-britannia-what-would-you-do-with-the-last-night-of-the-proms?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
    Jersulem also stolen from the intention of the original prose, nor is it remotely as good or as patriotic as Parry’s blessed pair, thanks to fact Jerusalem not a real hymn, so we can swap that out for a change and have a far better prom.

Jerusalem is an exceptionally great poem.
    Jerusalem is remarkable for being claimed by both right and left -- as a paean to England and to socialism.
    “ paean … and to socialism. “

Absolutely none of it is paean to Socialism. Which bit were you thinking of?
    Dark satanic mills ... building the new Jerusalem.
    the one reference to a mill dark and satanic is poetic reference to an actual mill gutted by fire standing between a poet’s home and his bread shop – possibly gutted in industrial dispute over pay. Blake believed in hell, to him this ruin looked like hell had visited it. This is what poets do.

It’s not written as a hymn called Jerusalem - who said it was, it’s preamble to Milton.
    the reference to Jerusalem is Blake’s genuine belief Jesus and Joseph were building a bit of Jerusalem here. They were here, it may have been more than business, they may have been looking for a bolt hole if the sectarian war got much worse. As it proved, despite being on the leadership council, Joseph couldn’t stop them getting Jesus bumped off.

As an historical person Jesus is certainly not wholly owned by Christianity. Not that his own religion cares to make much fuss of him. He was a Jew, called Yeshua, likely born into an extended family with Hellenised (Greek influenced) views, so possible but not certain he may have heard the Greek words Jesus and Christ in his lifetime. Why is Christianity so Greek? It was a language most widely used, so Romans utilised Greek to promote their empire, that was essentially a commercial project. The language of the Roman Empire was Greek. The first Christian documents, those of Paul, were written in Greek whilst in Greece. In the sectarian make up of Judea at the time of Yeshua’s birth there is likely to have been contention between Hellenised Jews, looking to adopt Greek Platonic philosophy along with the Torah, versus Orthodox Jews, such as the Pharisee, opposing this approach. So a child born not just into a family of wealth, religious and political leadership, but born moreover into sectarian disagreement.

Before the time of his ministry there is something like a “gap year” about a decade and a half little evidence what young Yeshua was up to, other than he was associate of Joseph of Arimathea - this is someone who may have been Yeshua’s relative such as his Mother’s Uncle, for the considerate in loco parentis he showed Yoshua throughout remainder of his life and death we can call him Uncle. Uncle Joseph was a wealthy Rabbi, with trading links around the Mediterranean, Europe including Britain, also worked on building projects in pursuit of “the kingdom”. He may have been an Essenes - the sect who wrote the Dead Sea scrolls. It’s widely documented Joseph swapped the sunny skies of Judea for our clouded hills and pastures green at least once, he died at Glastonbury. And not simply in exile or mission, its possible for someone with his wealth and business links he owned the settlement and the surrounding lands.

Blake enthusiastically researched the oral history’s of Britain, Europe and the Mediterranean looking for and finding correlating evidence for Yeshua’s visit to Britain.

In the poets mind it was literal. You are projecting. And wrong.
    The Labour Party sings Jerusalem. As I said, it is claimed by both sides.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--dfp4b6akU
    For me, and bearing in mind I am really not a fan of socialism at all, I think it is ridiculous to claim that it belongs to one side or another. It is a poem/song about hope and striving for a better country. That belongs to all mainstream political parties - or should anyway. I love Jerusalem for its poignancy and it is a million times better as a song and a tune than, for example, Rule Britannia.
    Hear, hear: I am a fan of neither socialism, nor organized religion, but Jerusalem is a beautiful poem, and a very complex piece of music.
    It’s just too damn hard on my organ.
    Are you channelling TSE now ? Ooh arr Mrs!
    Nah, it’s just that my organ for all its breadth and 16 foot horn has only two manuals and therefore you can’t do the contrasts easily.

At Cannock, where you have a bit in reserve, it’s easier to do the climax.
    Yeah. And that’s it then, isn’t it? I put up results of a lifetimes study and research - what Blake literally said and believed in his jottings in preamble to Milton, and - out with the organ, searching for a climax, oooh errr, double entendre, everyone watching two teen girls play tennis on a second screen.
    And this response is going to be as good as it gets? I’ll just have to take it for it is - another historic night on PB.com.
    It’s your own fault for trying to defend the indefensible. The tune isn’t bad but the words are truly ludicrous.
This discussion has been closed.