Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Bet on Raducanu for SPOTY before tonight’s final – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,216
    Nigelb said:

gealbhan said:

Between 1901 and 1934 Edward Elgar composed five marches and sketched a sixth, the title he took from Act III, Scene 3 of Shakespeare's Othello:

Farewell the neighing steed and the shrill trump,
    The spirit-stirring drum, th'ear-piercing fife,
    The royal banner, and all quality,
    Pride, pomp, and circumstance of glorious war!

For the first is set a motto for the whole set of marches, set to a verse from Lord de Tabley's poem "The March of Glory" on assumption the splendid show of military pageantry—"Pomp"—has no connection with the drabness and terror to come —"Circumstance"

Like a proud music that draws men on to die
    Madly upon the spears in martial ecstasy,
    A measure that sets heaven in all their veins
    And iron in their hands.
    I hear the Nation march
    Beneath her ensign as an eagle's wing;
    O'er shield and sheeted targe
    The banners of my faith most gaily swing;
    Moving to victory with solemn noise,
    With worship and with conquest, and the voice of myriads.

As a tune, March number one quickly became very popular, on its Proms debut the audience demanded two encores. There was no singing involved at this stage, just pure appreciation of the music Elgar composed.

But what of appreciation and understanding of an artists work, if it is only the pomp cut from the relating circumstance? How often do we hear Elgar’s Pomp and Circumstance March no. 1 performed in its initial full colour glory, that once so wowed audiences? How well do we know it for what it actually is?

Don’t just accept my spin or opinion, lets listen to Elgar in his own words, in a lecture at Birmingham University

“The commonplace mind can never be anything but commonplace, and no amount of education, no polish of a university, can eradicate the stain from the low type of mind which is the English commonplace,” he declared to a shocked room. “An Englishman will take you into a large room, beautifully proportioned, and will point out to you that it is white – all over white – and somebody will say, ‘What exquisite taste.’ You know in your own mind, in your own soul, that is not taste at all – that it is the want of taste, that it is mere evasion. English music is white, and evades everything.”

This isn’t an argument against pageantry. There is certainly a place for pageantry, like for example inside American graduation ceremony’s, where strangely enough it’s the most regular place on earth you will hear Pomp and Circumstance.

Elgar’s War Requiem, a work of considerable depth (and rather beautiful), is not unknown at the Proms, though.
    Some years ago, Classic FM invited on a noted critic of their work. Who proceeded to damn them for not playing the output of BBC Radio 3. For about 20 minutes.

When it was gently pointed out to him that, well, BBC Radio 3 is there and broadcast to the entire country, he wasn't fazed.

Apparently the idea that someone, somewhere is listening to "bad culture" is horrifying.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Fernandez @2.76 is too long surely?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,503

dixiedean said:

I am surprised by this sudden turn in the polls. Just as I was constantly astonished for how long the PM defied gravity. Surely any fool could see that there would come a time after the pandemic when the largesse would end, and being all things to all people would run out of road?
    I obviously gave folk too much credit.

It is clear people support taxes as long as it is not on them and I believe the pensioner reduction from 8% to 2.5% is playing its part

As far as the last point is concerned, and working pensioners paying NI, it is the right thing to do no matter the political fallout
    I think that the NI hike has annoyed a fair few pensioners. Some think more of their children and grandchildren than their wallets.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

10% of Tories switching to other parties, Lib Dems have an in here if they wish to take it

Oh, I think so. It is worth being a fairly fiscally dry alternative to both Starmerism and Johnsonian staffing. Between being pro business, pro free trade with Europe and financially sound we should be able to persuade a number of traditional Tories. Steer clear of culture war stuff, and be the party of pragmatic competent government. It works at a local level.
    I really would like to see their offer but if it includes rejoining the EU then I would not support them, otherwise I am genuinely interested
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,079
    dixiedean said:

******* Betting Post ******

Know nowt about tennis. Rugby League is my game. And I can spot biased patriotic odds too.
    On which topic. Catalans Dragons, of Perpignan France have won 19 games and lost 2 finishing top of the league. Despite flying in and out same day for all their games in England because of Covid.
    To win the Grand Final and Championship they will need to win one home playoff game. Then the GF at Old Trafford.
    Available odds for this eminently acheivable feat? Well 3-1 at Skybet. Better than 5/2 everywhere. They aren't even favourites!
    Basically being given coin toss odds of winning 2 games because they are foreign.
    I mean DYOR. But to me that's an absolute steal.

NB. They have the added bonus of being the best all round side in the competition. It isn't a fluke in the slightest.

Thank you. Doing it. Great to get a value bet on something I'm clueless about.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187

tlg86 said:

England missed out not getting this kid...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamal_Musiala

From the link, England did get him but then he changed his mind.
    I suspect the FA were complacent and thought it was a done deal.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,919

Latest German poll: https://twitter.com/Wahlrecht_de/status/1436771285359546368

INSA/BamS: SPD 26 % | CDU/CSU 20 % | GRÜNE 15 % | FDP 13 % | AfD 11 % | DIE LINKE 6 % | Sonstige 9 %

SPD appears to have plateaued at 26% but things are still dire for the CDU/CSU.

I pay the most interest to INSA polling because it was the most accurate German polling institute in 2017 and got the SPD and AfD shares in particular spot on.

I think we need to seriously consider the possibility that Herr Niemand's Sonstige gets into the Bundestag this time around.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Yup.

I hope she beats the grammar school girl.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Yes.

I would say she should be 1.8, and Raducanu around 2.2.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Alistair said:

Yup.

It must be very hard for @HYUFD - on the one hand she's from a grammar school, but on the other hand she was originally from Romania Canada.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Yup.

It must be very hard for @HYUFD - on the one hand she's from a grammar school, but on the other hand she was originally from Romania.
    Originally from Romania? I didn't know Toronto was in Romania.
  • Options
    I reckon that Opinium poll is much better for Labour than the YouGov which had them ahead.

Looks like a voting change based on a Lab VI increasing a bit.

Need more polls though.
  • Options
    According to Twitter (and retweeted by TSE), Emma Radacnu apparently got an A* in A Level maths.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Yup.

It must be very hard for @HYUFD - on the one hand she's from a grammar school, but on the other hand she was originally from Romania.
    I think she is a fabulous advert for the UK and immigration

I just cannot understand why anyone would want her to lose
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Yup.

Oh yes, it's on the Black Sea.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

dixiedean said:

******* Betting Post ******

Know nowt about tennis. Rugby League is my game. And I can spot biased patriotic odds too.
    On which topic. Catalans Dragons, of Perpignan France have won 19 games and lost 2 finishing top of the league. Despite flying in and out same day for all their games in England because of Covid.
    To win the Grand Final and Championship they will need to win one home playoff game. Then the GF at Old Trafford.
    Available odds for this eminently acheivable feat? Well 3-1 at Skybet. Better than 5/2 everywhere. They aren't even favourites!
    Basically being given coin toss odds of winning 2 games because they are foreign.
    I mean DYOR. But to me that's an absolute steal.

NB. They have the added bonus of being the best all round side in the competition. It isn't a fluke in the slightest.

Thank you. Doing it. Great to get a value bet on something I'm clueless about.
    I am in for a tenner too.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

geoffw said:

I used to abhor ladies tennis - just best of three sets, endless baseline rallies (starting with Chris Evert) etc, but now it's the men's game I abhor with it's emphasis on power and speed as the be all and end all.
    Looking forward to this final. Really don't care much who wins but I think it will be Raducanu.

Raducanu - despite being a slight 18 year old - is a very powerful player. She hits the ball enormously hard.
    The ostensibly rational bet at the odds is Fernandez but in horse race terms Raducanu is unexposed. She's won every match easily and you don't know how much more she has. It's possible she's a phenom, the sort of player who comes along once in a blue moon. In which case she'll smash this final and that 1.7 will in retro look a steal.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,187
    rcs1000 said:

According to Twitter (and retweeted by TSE), Emma Radacnu apparently got an A* in A Level maths.

They didn't have that grade when I were a kid.
  • Options
    For the record, she did two of the same A Levels as me - Maths and Economics. If we account for grade inflation, we both did pretty much the same :smile:
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Yup and a F1 fan.

However the real intelligent people not only got an A in A Level Maths but an A in Further Maths at A Level.

But my legendary modesty prevents me from naming such a person.
  • Options
    Fernandez massive value at 2.7 or so, she has come through tough matches and has beaten the 2,3,5 seeds whereas Raducanu hasn't played anyone above 12th
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

rcs1000 said:

They didn't have that grade when I were a kid.
    Same.
  • Options
    Farooq said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

So who will be watching Last Night of the Proms tonight? Someone's got to make sure all the old songs are still there while the rest of us watch the tennis. You'd think Channel 4 would have splashed it on their website but no.

Let’s hope somebody is, choleric EU flag count by the Gammons has become a fine tradition.
    As is, equally, a hand wringing series of articles in the guardian saying ‘how can we let this jingoistic Rule Britannia nonsense go on’

They are as predictable as Daily Mail photos of hot teen girls jumping up and down, celebrating their A Level results

And both are as British as, well, the Last Night of the Proms
    The thing I never understand about the Last Night angst, the Boat Race etc etc is that it is such a small part of national life - you can ignore it trivially.

Mind you, there is nothing quite like watching idiots marooning their cars in the Thames, by parking on boat ramps without permission, while seated in a good pub. There is something very calming about sipping a pint and watching the water crawling towards the morons Chelsea tractor......
    The guardian publishes this wank because their idiot readers lap it up. Every year. Without fail. It’s no better or worse than another express article about sizzling weather or princess diana
    Not sure why the Guardian is so anti Last Night of the Prom or indeed the Boat race given the average reader of of their paper is a lot more likely to participate or watch either than the average bloke or gal-Perhaps a case of Robert Peston levels of self loathing (with his krap about being a middle aged white man and so lucky to be in a job there of )
    Not sure many Guardian readers could bear to watch Last Night of the Prom. I couldn't and I'm not a Guardian reader.
    Of course they do , so they can secretly like it and then write how awfullly white and middle class it is. A bit like when undercover reporters used to act shocked when they did (numerous) undercover visits to sex shows in Soho in the 1960s 70s
    Guardian readers secretly like lots of things that are awfully white and middle class, but I'm pretty sure that the Last Night of the Proms isn't one of them.
    I can't do 2 minutes of it. Truly, I can't.
    Last Night of the Proms... or The Guardian?
    :smile:
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Yup.

She was born in Canada, so is from the *British* Comonwealth, who's citizens all support The Queen and The Church of England. So there!
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Foxy said:

10% of Tories switching to other parties, Lib Dems have an in here if they wish to take it

Oh, I think so. It is worth being a fairly fiscally dry alternative to both Starmerism and Johnsonian staffing. Between being pro business, pro free trade with Europe and financially sound we should be able to persuade a number of traditional Tories. Steer clear of culture war stuff, and be the party of pragmatic competent government. It works at a local level.
    I really would like to see their offer but if it includes rejoining the EU then I would not support them, otherwise I am genuinely interested
    EEA-ish is the plan for next GE, though clear hints that Rejoin is the ultimate aim longer term.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Yup.

She was born in Canada, so is from the *British* Comonwealth, who's citizens all support The Queen and The Church of England. So there!
    "whose" not "who's"!
  • Options
    CatMan said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Yup.

My daughter in law is Canadian from Ukrainian emigrants
  • Options
    CatMan said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Yup.

So she is as British as Greg Rusedski Andrew Bonar Law.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,108
    dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

There is ONE bar open in Zurich international; terminal 1. Saturday evening. 7.45pm.

One

Be careful guys, it’s still hell out there

You not got access a the first class lounge? Having to slum it with the plebs.
    Swissair kindly bought my flights. But yes. Prole class.

That said I estimate this trip would have cost something like £7,000 for 6 days, if I’d been unfortunate enough to be ponying up my own wonga
    Where can we read your piece, or is it behind a firewall?
    I fear the dildo knappers gazette is indeed paywalled. Soz
    Never mind, perhaps this other PB denizen will be writing about it:
    https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/1436658104167456774

You want to be careful, you might find yourself sharing a flight with him and he’s known for his alcohol intake…
    They are clearly different people. This "Sean T" guy was drinking white wine. Leon was drinking red. Case closed.
    Are you sure? It might just be a re port.
    Shiraz eggs are eggs.
    Brave effort. I declare a draw and call for a de cider.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

EEA-ish is the plan for next GE, though clear hints that Rejoin is the ultimate aim longer term.
    I would be content with the first suggestion but not the second
  • Options
    Leon said:

There’s a hot teen girl four rows down reading ‘Le Monde Diplomatique’

I’ll stop now. We’re taking off. Guten Abend

Just typing it is doing things, isn't it. Still, keeping you off politics, all good. Bon flight.
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,763
    edited September 2021
    rcs1000 said:

CatMan said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Yup.

"whose" not "who's"!
    Oh bollocks. I'm off to commit seppuku.
  • Options

CatMan said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Yup.

Or The Daily Express?
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I think the LibDems would be mad to have a policy beyond "closer ties".
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

There is ONE bar open in Zurich international; terminal 1. Saturday evening. 7.45pm.

One

That said I estimate this trip would have cost something like £7,000 for 6 days, if I’d been unfortunate enough to be ponying up my own wonga

You want to be careful, you might find yourself sharing a flight with him and he’s known for his alcohol intake…
    They are clearly different people. This "Sean T" guy was drinking white wine. Leon was drinking red. Case closed.
    Shiraz eggs are eggs.
    I cannot resist reisling to the challenge.
  • Options
    CatMan said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Yup.

Emma Raducanu went to the same school as Dina Asher-Smith, once favourite for SPotY.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Yup.

Oh yes, it's on the Black Sea.
    The Conrad Black Sea?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

One

Shiraz eggs are eggs.
    That was just unbeerable.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I think the LibDems would be mad to have a policy beyond "closer ties".
    I think that is how it will be phrased.

It only matters in a minority government though, and wouldn't rub any party other than the Tories the wrong way.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

One

Shiraz eggs are eggs.
    Stout chap.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

One

Shiraz eggs are eggs.
    Muscat to work on thinking of some more...
  • Options

CatMan said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Yup.

Oh, dear, racist TSE will probably not count yours truly as British either :lol:
  • Options
    Plans for Covid vaccinations for 12- to 15-year-olds across the UK are to be announced by the government this week, with a mass inoculation programme beginning in schools within two weeks, the Observer has been told.

New proposals for a Covid booster programme are also expected to be set out on Tuesday, but it is thought ministers may be backing away from plans for Covid passports in confined settings such as nightclubs amid opposition from some Tory MPs.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/sep/11/covid-jabs-for-12--to-15-year-olds-set-to-start-in-weeks
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

dixiedean said:

ydoethur said:

CatMan said:

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

One

Shiraz eggs are eggs.
    Stop your wine-ing!
  • Options

CatMan said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Yup.

Oh, dear, racist TSE will probably not count yours truly as British either :lol:
    You can't get more British than being the Prime Minister of the United Kingdom.
  • Options

Foxy said:

I'm not a Lib Dem; heck my political streetfighting years were working against the Yellow Peril. But I can't imagine them offering rejoin in 2024.

The more interesting question is- what if their offer goes something like this;

1 Put a pause on the Pacific stuff. It's unlikely to have come into much force by then, and it doesn't look like a pot of gold, anyway.

2 Move quickly to smooth the flows with the EU- shadow their food standards, allow Euro lorries to do local jobs on the way home. That sort of thing. Hard Brexit without the barbed wire, if you like.

3 Move towards something like EEA by the end of the decade. Largely on their terms (80:20, say) because that's the realpolitilk.

4 (Very Sotto Voce, but there for those with ears to hear) And if in a decade's time, the will of the people is to rejoin, we will facilitate that. Don't worry, we're not talking about doing it now, but we will ensure that our children don't have the option taken away from them.

I half hope they don't say this, because I'd rather not feel I ought to vote for them...
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,274
    edited September 2021

Plans for Covid vaccinations for 12- to 15-year-olds across the UK are to be announced by the government this week, with a mass inoculation programme beginning in schools within two weeks, the Observer has been told.

New proposals for a Covid booster programme are also expected to be set out on Tuesday, but it is thought ministers may be backing away from plans for Covid passports in confined settings such as nightclubs amid opposition from some Tory MPs.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/sep/11/covid-jabs-for-12--to-15-year-olds-set-to-start-in-weeks

What a wasted number of months. 12-15 years old could have been getting their 2nd shots about then.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,821

Arguably a better poll for Lab than the YG lead
    Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    11m
    Westminster voting intention:

CON: 38% (-2)
    LAB: 38% (+3)
    LDEM: 8% (+1)
    GRN: 6% (-)

via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 09 - 11 Sep

Your defection to the Tories has had quite an impact.
    On this poll my resignation from Labour has proved very popular bringing a whole raft of new support!

Not really defected anywhere yet although if Boris continues with more tax and spend i may well vote for him

I cant see any circumstance i would vote LAB in a GE if led by SKS though
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,234
    edited September 2021

Fernandez massive value at 2.7 or so, she has come through tough matches and has beaten the 2,3,5 seeds whereas Raducanu hasn't played anyone above 12th

On the other hand, at the start of the US Open, Raducanu was 400/1 against, while Fernandez was 900/1. Fernandez' weakness appears to be her serve.

ETA I've saved on Fernandez, having backed Raducanu earlier in the tournament at the same time as doubting on pb that she was a good bet for SPotY because the US Open was not on proper telly. Now it is. (In my defence, I did go on to say things would change if she picked up some adverts on the back of her success.)
  • Options

CatMan said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Yup.

Sunil is Boris Johnson?!!! :hushed:
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,444
    "This channel is currently off air"

https://www.channel4.com/now/C4
  • Options
    Channel 4 seems to be taking the tennis feed from Amazon Prime so it looks as if there will be no difference in the coverage or commentary
  • Options

CatMan said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Yup.

I was born outside the UK, guess I'm not British enough for you!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,216
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-49110427

Another murder with pretentious of intellect bites the dust....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4uivPpzCGo
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,359
    I don't particularly like tennis. But it is definitely a proper sport. Tom Daley be be very talented at making an implausibly tiny splash, but diving is Not A Proper Sport and having a diver winning SPOTY would be a national humiliation on a par with the fall of Singapore. Swimming is a proper sport, but breast stroke is just swimming needlessly slowly, and having Adam Peaty win would be like having a backwards runner winning it. Nothing against Peaty or Daley, who are both talented and hard working individuals, but the events they excel in are ridiculous.
  • Options
    YouTube TV has the actual tennis start pegged as 913pm UK time.

My plan is to play Civilization VI and watch the tennis simultaneously.
  • Options

Channel 4 seems to be taking the tennis feed from Amazon Prime so it looks as if there will be no difference in the coverage or commentary

Why isn't it working online though?
  • Options

Foxy said:

I'm not a Lib Dem; heck my political streetfighting years were working against the Yellow Peril. But I can't imagine them offering rejoin in 2024.

1 Put a pause on the Pacific stuff. It's unlikely to have come into much force by then, and it doesn't look like a pot of gold, anyway.

2 Move quickly to smooth the flows with the EU- shadow their food standards, allow Euro lorries to do local jobs on the way home. That sort of thing. Hard Brexit without the barbed wire, if you like.

3 Move towards something like EEA by the end of the decade. Largely on their terms (80:20, say) because that's the realpolitilk.

4 (Very Sotto Voce, but there for those with ears to hear) And if in a decade's time, the will of the people is to rejoin, we will facilitate that. Don't worry, we're not talking about doing it now, but we will ensure that our children don't have the option taken away from them.

I half hope they don't say this, because I'd rather not feel I ought to vote for them...
    And I would be fine with that but for 4

I also want to hear their tax and spend policies as well as building more homes
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,937
    edited September 2021
    stodge said:

Forum research poll from Canada:

https://poll.forumresearch.com/data/b0cc5e28-d576-46fd-8376-ac0df5c8fe95Federal Election Poll - Sept 11th 2021.pdf

Lot of volatility in the Canadian polls currently. Note the big jump in support for Bernier (NOT Barnier) and the People's Party of Canada. Liberals just ahead in Ontario but BQ leading in Quebec.

Some very different numbers than in other polls.

Better news for Trudeau from Nanos and Mainstreet today.

Nanos has the Liberals 4% ahead and Mainstreet has the Liberals 3.7% ahead.

https://nanos.co/wp-content/uploads/2021/09/2021-1947-ELXN44-Nightly-Tracking-Report-2021-09-10lR4q8e.pdf

https://archive.md/vITG8

EKOS has the Conservatives still ahead by 0.5% but the Liberals have a 5% lead over the Conservatives in Ontario and the Liberals lead in Quebec by 31% to 21% for the Conservatives with the BQ on 20%

https://www.ekospolitics.com/index.php/2021/09/daily-tracking-september-11-2021/
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Possibly they have the broadcast rights not the internet rights?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

So who will be watching Last Night of the Proms tonight? Someone's got to make sure all the old songs are still there while the rest of us watch the tennis. You'd think Channel 4 would have splashed it on their website but no.

Let’s hope somebody is, choleric EU flag count by the Gammons has become a fine tradition.
    As is, equally, a hand wringing series of articles in the guardian saying ‘how can we let this jingoistic Rule Britannia nonsense go on’

They are as predictable as Daily Mail photos of hot teen girls jumping up and down, celebrating their A Level results

And both are as British as, well, the Last Night of the Proms
    The thing I never understand about the Last Night angst, the Boat Race etc etc is that it is such a small part of national life - you can ignore it trivially.

Mind you, there is nothing quite like watching idiots marooning their cars in the Thames, by parking on boat ramps without permission, while seated in a good pub. There is something very calming about sipping a pint and watching the water crawling towards the morons Chelsea tractor......
    The guardian publishes this wank because their idiot readers lap it up. Every year. Without fail. It’s no better or worse than another express article about sizzling weather or princess diana
    Not sure why the Guardian is so anti Last Night of the Prom or indeed the Boat race given the average reader of of their paper is a lot more likely to participate or watch either than the average bloke or gal-Perhaps a case of Robert Peston levels of self loathing (with his krap about being a middle aged white man and so lucky to be in a job there of )
    Not sure many Guardian readers could bear to watch Last Night of the Prom. I couldn't and I'm not a Guardian reader.
    Of course they do , so they can secretly like it and then write how awfullly white and middle class it is. A bit like when undercover reporters used to act shocked when they did (numerous) undercover visits to sex shows in Soho in the 1960s 70s
    Guardian readers secretly like lots of things that are awfully white and middle class, but I'm pretty sure that the Last Night of the Proms isn't one of them.
    I can't do 2 minutes of it. Truly, I can't.
    Same here. Puke inducing.
    You won't win the redwall with that attitude
  • Options

CatMan said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Yup.

I was born outside the UK, guess I'm not British enough for you!
    Far from it, you can be British even if you aren't born British.
  • Options

Foxy said:

That is pretty much the policy as I understand it.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I cannot answer that as I am watching it on Sky through the Amazon app
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,280
    edited September 2021
    Andy_JS said:

It is a rights issue, so people outside the UK cannot watch it on C4.

Is probably a condition of the Amazon deal.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,234
    edited September 2021
    Andy_JS said:

"This channel is currently off air"

https://www.channel4.com/now/C4

Yes, Amazon Prime has kept the internet rights so go there to watch over the web. Channel 4 has acquired from them the (television) broadcast rights. You can probably sign up to a month's free trial of Amazon Prime but remember to cancel it before it automatically rolls over and starts charging you.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Oh dear. Someone else is watching the Proms on TV so I was relying on the website.
  • Options

Latest German poll: https://twitter.com/Wahlrecht_de/status/1436771285359546368

INSA/BamS: SPD 26 % | CDU/CSU 20 % | GRÜNE 15 % | FDP 13 % | AfD 11 % | DIE LINKE 6 % | Sonstige 9 %

SPD appears to have plateaued at 26% but things are still dire for the CDU/CSU.

I pay the most interest to INSA polling because it was the most accurate German polling institute in 2017 and got the SPD and AfD shares in particular spot on.

Prosecutors have raided Scholz's Finance Ministry however over allegations into how it investigated money laundering, although he should be safe it is not what he wanted in the last weeks of the campaign

https://www.dw.com/en/german-election-olaf-scholz-pressured-over-money-laundering-probe/a-59147944
  • Options
    Good grief, this singer is really awful. Flat and out of time.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,382
    edited September 2021

Foxy said:

Interesting lack of greenery/environment in that.

What happens if we are in CPTPP by then?

WRT the EEA. Who are "them" in these proposals?
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116
    Cookie said:

I don't particularly like tennis. But it is definitely a proper sport. Tom Daley be be very talented at making an implausibly tiny splash, but diving is Not A Proper Sport and having a diver winning SPOTY would be a national humiliation on a par with the fall of Singapore. Swimming is a proper sport, but breast stroke is just swimming needlessly slowly, and having Adam Peaty win would be like having a backwards runner winning it. Nothing against Peaty or Daley, who are both talented and hard working individuals, but the events they excel in are ridiculous.

On swimming I don’t understand why it isn’t just A to B fastest and damn the stroke. I mean there isn’t an athletics class for running backwards at the olympics or for 100m by two footed jumps the whole way.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Which singer?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Andy_JS said:

Oh dear. Someone else is watching the Proms on TV so I was relying on the website.
  • Options

Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    11m

via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 09 - 11 Sep

Electoral Calculus gives the Conservatives most seats on those numbers on 297 with Labour on 268 but Starmer could become PM with confidence and supply from the SNP on 55 and the LDs on 7

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=38&LAB=38&LIB=8&Reform=2&Green=6&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=23.6&SCOTLAB=19.2&SCOTLIB=6&SCOTReform=0.3&SCOTGreen=1.5&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=47.5&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019base
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Yup.

It must be very hard for @HYUFD - on the one hand she's from a grammar school, but on the other hand she was originally from Romania Canada.
    When have I ever said anything against Romanians or Canadians or those originating from there?
  • Options

Cookie said:

On swimming I don’t understand why it isn’t just A to B fastest and damn the stroke. I mean there isn’t an athletics class for running backwards at the olympics or for 100m by two footed jumps the whole way.
    The swimming bosses have thought of that. It is freestyle. Invariably front crawl but in theory it could be any stroke.
  • Options

Both players were born after 9/11

So young
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

Which singer?
    The one attempting to sing the US National Anthem at the US Open.

She sounded like Charlotte Church, when drunk, when trying to sing badly.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,899
    Pre match interview ?!
    Fsake only in America
  • Options
    MattW said:

Foxy said:

There's no reason why the EEA and the CPTPP are exclusive - the other countries in the EEA have trade agreements beyond the EU.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,116

Cookie said:

The swimming bosses have thought of that. It is freestyle. Invariably front crawl but in theory it could be any stroke.
    But they need to do away with the other styles. Pointless.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

rcs1000 said:

Alistair said:

Yup.

When have I ever said anything against Romanians or Canadians or those originating from there?
    I apologise. I was making a bad joke.

You have never - to the best of my knowledge - said anything unsupported by polling evidence against the people of Canada or Romania.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

Which singer?

It's always murdered
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

Which singer?

I was wondering what her name is.
  • Options
    I wonder if there is a possibility of seeing the Tories in the 20s by the end of the year
  • Options
    A boy doing a man's job.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    HYUFD said:

Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    11m

via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 09 - 11 Sep

Electoral Calculus gives the Conservatives most seats on those numbers on 297 with Labour on 268 but Starmer could become PM with confidence and supply from the SNP on 55 and the LDs on 7

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=38&LAB=38&LIB=8&Reform=2&Green=6&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=23.6&SCOTLAB=19.2&SCOTLIB=6&SCOTReform=0.3&SCOTGreen=1.5&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=47.5&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019base
    Labour will have the same problem they've had for the last few elections: during the campaign the Tories will say the only way Labour can form a government is with SNP support, and that will put off English voters.
  • Options
    Yes, Boris has done Rishi up like a kipper. Looks like it's sinking in now, but far too late.
  • Options
    Fernández definitely seems less nervous
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

Which singer?

I was wondering what her name is.
    I’m not sure I want to know.

@Pulpstar yes, that is true, and in fact it’s a very very difficult piece of music. It has a wide range and inadequate pauses for breath. I can do it, but I can’t do it without a warm up. And if you don’t get it right, there’s no slack for any error so it sounds horrible.

But for that reason it should be sung only by people who really are very good at music, not those who have been deliberately trained to sing badly.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    ydoethur said:

She was hoping for accompaniment to help her carry the tune. She distinctly said "And where is that band?"
  • Options
    Wowsers. To think people laughed at people paying more tax.

Boris Johnson's National Insurance increase could result in the breakdown of families and deter companies from hiring new staff and increasing wages, according to the Government's own analysis.

A bombshell impact assessment produced by HM Revenue and Customs for the Treasury warned that one effect of the 1.25 percentage point tax increase "may be an impact on family formation, stability or breakdown as individuals, who are currently just about managing financially, will see their disposable income reduce".

The disclosure comes as several MPs in Red Wall seats said they faced a major backlash from constituents over the move. One MP said they had received angry letters referring to the levy as the "poll tax 2.0" – a phrase that was also used spontaneously by voters in a focus group in a northern city last week.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/09/11/poll-tax-20-will-harm-jobs-families-treasurys-experts-admit/
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

Which singer?

The Star Spangled Banner is pretty unsingable by the best. It is a pretty awful tune.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andy_JS said:

ydoethur said:

Which singer?

That reminds me of Charlotte Church singing a Michael Jackson cover with a drunk Amy Winehouse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzVlFmzojA
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    I bet Channel 4 didn't mention earlier today that the match wouldn't be available on their website.
  • Options
    In other developments:

Rishi Sunak was said to have privately stated that the tax rise was ultimately born out of a choice made by Mr Johnson, who insisted on delivering a generous state-run system to fund social care;

In a speech this week, Liz Truss, the Trade Secretary, who is said to have opposed the rise, is expected to warn that the Conservatives must fight the expansion of the state and embrace free enterprise or risk making Britain poorer;

Senior Tories expressed fury as it emerged that the Government had failed to secure new commitments from NHS England to demand the increased availability of face-to-face GP appointments, in return for a £36 billion funding settlement. A Cabinet minister said: "Every MP is getting complaints from their constituents that they're not getting to see their GPs";

It emerged that at least one Cabinet minister considered resigning over the tax increase;

Mr Johnson faces another rebellion on Wednesday when Labour is expected to force a vote on the Government's plans to end the £20 uplift to the Universal Credit benefit payments introduced during the pandemic;

James Jamieson, the Conservative chairman of the Local Government Association, which represents councils, told The Telegraph that Mr Johnson's plan had "made the situation worse" for social care because private care providers would have to pay increased National Insurance Contributions (NICs);
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    11m

via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 09 - 11 Sep

It's a remarkably good poll for Labour, combined with the YouGov the other day.

If Labour can reach 38% without actually saying or doing anything much, which is really where we are, imagine the dizzy heights they could reach once they set out some appealing policies.
  • Options
    MattW said:

Foxy said:

Well, we were talking specifically about the Euro stuff. Other areas of policy are likely to be available.

If were in CPTPP... I suspect it will be pushing it to get that sealed before the next election. It's not just send in an application form, after all.

And the "them" is the existing EEA framework. The existing rules, rather than trying to convince anyone that something similar developed in London is just as good, honest.
This discussion has been closed.