Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

Bet on Raducanu for SPOTY before tonight’s final – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,914

Wowsers. To think people laughed at people paying more tax.

Boris Johnson's National Insurance increase could result in the breakdown of families and deter companies from hiring new staff and increasing wages, according to the Government's own analysis.

A bombshell impact assessment produced by HM Revenue and Customs for the Treasury warned that one effect of the 1.25 percentage point tax increase "may be an impact on family formation, stability or breakdown as individuals, who are currently just about managing financially, will see their disposable income reduce".

The disclosure comes as several MPs in Red Wall seats said they faced a major backlash from constituents over the move. One MP said they had received angry letters referring to the levy as the "poll tax 2.0" – a phrase that was also used spontaneously by voters in a focus group in a northern city last week.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/09/11/poll-tax-20-will-harm-jobs-families-treasurys-experts-admit/

Starmer is vowing to clobber landlords.
    He might have this right
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,719

Boris Johnson's National Insurance increase could result in the breakdown of families and deter companies from hiring new staff and increasing wages, according to the Government's own analysis.

A bombshell impact assessment produced by HM Revenue and Customs for the Treasury warned that one effect of the 1.25 percentage point tax increase "may be an impact on family formation, stability or breakdown as individuals, who are currently just about managing financially, will see their disposable income reduce".

The disclosure comes as several MPs in Red Wall seats said they faced a major backlash from constituents over the move. One MP said they had received angry letters referring to the levy as the "poll tax 2.0" – a phrase that was also used spontaneously by voters in a focus group in a northern city last week.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/09/11/poll-tax-20-will-harm-jobs-families-treasurys-experts-admit/

Policies are not perfect and may have some negative consequences shocker.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,158

I wonder if there is a possibility of seeing the Tories in the 20s by the end of the year

I think you are (a) over reacting to some polls after a bit of Tory self harm and (b) hope casting.
    Truthfully polls right now don’t matter. I think the changes announced this week will have outraged some, but others will be glad that something is being done. We wait and hope to fully emerge from the scourge of the pandemic, but it probably won’t be until spring 2022 that nhs pressure really eases, if at all. It’s going to be a tough winter and that will hit the government as for most now Covid is not a worry. That’s not saying they are right, just an observation. I have today been at the Frome cheese show (think Country show, but with a lot of cheese too). Thousands of happy people back to normal. And that to some extent makes politics back to normal midterm too.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,181
    The umpire looks quite young as well.

This is the Stage of Yoof.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,955

In other developments:

Rishi Sunak was said to have privately stated that the tax rise was ultimately born out of a choice made by Mr Johnson, who insisted on delivering a generous state-run system to fund social care;

In a speech this week, Liz Truss, the Trade Secretary, who is said to have opposed the rise, is expected to warn that the Conservatives must fight the expansion of the state and embrace free enterprise or risk making Britain poorer;

Senior Tories expressed fury as it emerged that the Government had failed to secure new commitments from NHS England to demand the increased availability of face-to-face GP appointments, in return for a £36 billion funding settlement. A Cabinet minister said: "Every MP is getting complaints from their constituents that they're not getting to see their GPs";

It emerged that at least one Cabinet minister considered resigning over the tax increase;

Mr Johnson faces another rebellion on Wednesday when Labour is expected to force a vote on the Government's plans to end the £20 uplift to the Universal Credit benefit payments introduced during the pandemic;

James Jamieson, the Conservative chairman of the Local Government Association, which represents councils, told The Telegraph that Mr Johnson's plan had "made the situation worse" for social care because private care providers would have to pay increased National Insurance Contributions (NICs);

Didn't I point out earlier this week that Rishi seemed to be keeping his distance from all this week's announcements
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,850
    Good on Boris
    TSE
    @TSEofPB
    ·
    1m
    Rishi Sunak was said to have privately stated that the tax rise was ultimately born out of a choice made by Mr Johnson, who insisted on delivering a generous state-run system to fund social care
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I bet Channel 4 didn't mention earlier today that the match wouldn't be available on their website.

They did.
  • Options

Good on Boris
    TSE
    @TSEofPB
    ·
    1m
    Rishi Sunak was said to have privately stated that the tax rise was ultimately born out of a choice made by Mr Johnson, who insisted on delivering a generous state-run system to fund social care

Shame he hasn’t then.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,588
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably a better poll for Lab than the YG lead
    Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    11m
    Westminster voting intention:

CON: 38% (-2)
    LAB: 38% (+3)
    LDEM: 8% (+1)
    GRN: 6% (-)

via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 09 - 11 Sep

Electoral Calculus gives the Conservatives most seats on those numbers on 297 with Labour on 268 but Starmer could become PM with confidence and supply from the SNP on 55 and the LDs on 7

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=38&LAB=38&LIB=8&Reform=2&Green=6&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=23.6&SCOTLAB=19.2&SCOTLIB=6&SCOTReform=0.3&SCOTGreen=1.5&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=47.5&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019base
    Labour will have the same problem they've had for the last few elections: during the campaign the Tories will say the only way Labour can form a government is with SNP support, and that will put off English voters.
    Hmm. Ms Sturgeon is actually very popular South of the border in leadership ratings, more so than North of it sometimes. She just doesn't have the electoral toxicity in England that Salmond did.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,955
    edited September 2021
    Andy_JS said:

I bet Channel 4 didn't mention earlier today that the match wouldn't be available on their website.

Discovered that at 8pm as we still don't have a TV signal following the transmitter fire last month.

Has c4 shown any adverts in the past hour?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Policies are not perfect and may have some negative consequences shocker.
    I don't believe it.. said in a Richard Wilson sort of voice e
  • Options

I wonder if there is a possibility of seeing the Tories in the 20s by the end of the year

The thing that could be very dangerous for the Tories is if the voters start questioning Brexit - either was there any point to it or was it bungled? With tax hikes, empty shelves, labour shortages, triple-lock cancellations etc. both are now quite capable of taking hold. If Boris loses his Brexit-gratitude support then there's not much else left.
  • Options
    Expect Fernandez to break early. Raducanu looks unsettled.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,369
    edited September 2021
    Home Secretary Priti Patel was branded a serial offender last night over a secret“lobbying” meeting she brokered between a billionaire Tory donor and British Airways.

In an alleged breach of the ministerial code Ms Patel arranged high level talks at Heathrow Airport’s Hilton Garden Inn without a Home Office official present – as rules dictate.

The hotel is part of a chain owned by Ms Patel’s friend Surinder Arora.

Only weeks earlier he declared he needed “all the help we can get from government” after Covid led to a 90% fall in bookings. And he has ambitions of building and running a third Heathrow runway.

Tonight Labour called for a probe by Cabinet Secretary Simon Case into the Home Secretary’s conduct.

It is almost exactly the same behaviour by Ms Patel which forced her resignation as International Development Secretary in 2017 when she held unauthorised meetings with Israeli officials.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/priti-patel-breaks-rules-again-24963905
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Andy_JS said:

Gift horses and mouths surely, and whose decision do you think it was?
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,547
    ydoethur said:

The umpire looks quite young as well.

This is the Stage of Yoof.

I'm still hoping Serena Williams will make a return to grand slam tennis.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    That backhand...
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

This is a trader's dream on Betfair. Not me though.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

I am just a legend. I should charge fees…
  • Options

The thing that could be very dangerous for the Tories is if the voters start questioning Brexit - either was there any point to it or was it bungled? With tax hikes, empty shelves, labour shortages, triple-lock cancellations etc. both are now quite capable of taking hold. If Boris loses his Brexit-gratitude support then there's not much else left.
    Well, certainly there is no sign of Brexit gathering support. I have always said that Brexit will go with a whimper rather than a bang.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Well, certainly there is no sign of Brexit gathering support. I have always said that Brexit will go with a whimper rather than a bang.
    I’m puzzled as to what support it needs? It’s done.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Fernández definitely seems less nervous

Not sure I agree with that.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

How do you define Brexit "going"? It's happened and we can't rejoin without a political earthquake.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

Pulpstar said:

Fernández definitely seems less nervous

Not sure I agree with that.
    I think they both have every right to be nervous!

Looking bad now though, three break points held off.
  • Options

Home Secretary Priti Patel was branded a serial offender last night over a secret“lobbying” meeting she brokered between a billionaire Tory donor and British Airways.

In an alleged breach of the ministerial code Ms Patel arranged high level talks at Heathrow Airport’s Hilton Garden Inn without a Home Office official present – as rules dictate.

The hotel is part of a chain owned by Ms Patel’s friend Surinder Arora.

Only weeks earlier he declared he needed “all the help we can get from government” after Covid led to a 90% fall in bookings. And he has ambitions of building and running a third Heathrow runway.

Tonight Labour called for a probe by Cabinet Secretary Simon Case into the Home Secretary’s conduct.

It is almost exactly the same behaviour by Ms Patel which forced her resignation as International Development Secretary in 2017 when she held unauthorised meetings with Israeli officials.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/priti-patel-breaks-rules-again-24963905

It's hard to judge whether politicians really are stupid or not, some who are in fact quite bright do not come across that way in the interactions we see from them.

But if Patel is not dumb, she has a very unconcerned approach to professional and personal standards which may be even worse.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,324
    edited September 2021

ydoethur said:

This is a trader's dream on Betfair. Not me though.
    Fernandez out from 2.5 to 4 and back to 3. It is a surprisingly thin market though.
  • Options

Foxy said:

No, it is never done. We are not implementing import controls nor the Irish protocol for example.

What I mean is that the polling increasingly shows remorse for the decision. I don't expect Rejoin to be on the menu in England in GE 2024, but reasonably likely for the one after.
  • Options
    Fernandez seems to be having a fault on almost every serve.

Now Adv Raducanu because of a double fault.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

No, it is never done. We are not implementing import controls nor the Irish protocol for example.

What I mean is that the polling increasingly shows remorse for the decision. I don't expect Rejoin to be on the menu in England in GE 2024, but reasonably likely for the one after.
    I can see a closer trading arrangement but never political union again.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1436789051126915074

When the Tories are in the lead, it's evidence of rebalancing according to Matt, realignment etc etc

When they tie or fall behind, Matt has no comment to make, how strange
  • Options
    What a game this one is.

Whoever wins this will have quite a psychological boost.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,475

In other developments:

Rishi Sunak was said to have privately stated that the tax rise was ultimately born out of a choice made by Mr Johnson, who insisted on delivering a generous state-run system to fund social care;

In a speech this week, Liz Truss, the Trade Secretary, who is said to have opposed the rise, is expected to warn that the Conservatives must fight the expansion of the state and embrace free enterprise or risk making Britain poorer;

Senior Tories expressed fury as it emerged that the Government had failed to secure new commitments from NHS England to demand the increased availability of face-to-face GP appointments, in return for a £36 billion funding settlement. A Cabinet minister said: "Every MP is getting complaints from their constituents that they're not getting to see their GPs";

It emerged that at least one Cabinet minister considered resigning over the tax increase;

Mr Johnson faces another rebellion on Wednesday when Labour is expected to force a vote on the Government's plans to end the £20 uplift to the Universal Credit benefit payments introduced during the pandemic;

James Jamieson, the Conservative chairman of the Local Government Association, which represents councils, told The Telegraph that Mr Johnson's plan had "made the situation worse" for social care because private care providers would have to pay increased National Insurance Contributions (NICs);

Political tin ears.

First he spent political capital trying to screw down NHS pay, followed by reverse ferret.

Episode 2 perhaps coming with Universal Credit?
  • Options

Foxy said:

It needs support for the pendulum to not swing back. I think EEA or a similar Swiss style arrangement very possible in the next decade.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Andy_JS said:

FPT

Regression poll by Electoral Calculus and FindoutnowUK for Property Chronicle shows where the Nimbys are in Britain. Some areas (green) want more property development locally, and others (red) don't.

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/blogs/ec_property_20210721.html

How odd! @justin124 was telling us yesterday that Scottish Labour VI will follow English Labour VI as night follows day. Cos the two countries are identical and always mimic each other’s social trends and voting patterns. Or some such guff.

Justin doesn’t get out much.

Scotland, Wales and London good, rest of England bad.
    I said no such thing by the way. I suspect Stuart Dixon is deliberately misrepresenting my comments
  • Options
    edited September 2021

https://twitter.com/GoodwinMJ/status/1436789051126915074

When the Tories are in the lead, it's evidence of rebalancing according to Matt, realignment etc etc

When they tie or fall behind, Matt has no comment to make, how strange

Except he did comment about it, if sarcastically.

Matt Goodwin
    @GoodwinMJ

9 Sep
    Ladies & Gentlemen. The series has come to an end. After 149 straight Conservative leads Labour take a lead. No doubt alarm bells are winning in No 10 ...

Labour 35% (+1)
    Conservative 33% (-5)
    Lib Dems 10% (+2)

YouGov/The Times
    Ht @iainmartin1
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

Good on Boris
    TSE
    @TSEofPB
    ·
    1m

I'm being thick but what point is Sunak making? What alternative account is being ruled out by him?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,952

Cookie said:

I don't particularly like tennis. But it is definitely a proper sport. Tom Daley be be very talented at making an implausibly tiny splash, but diving is Not A Proper Sport and having a diver winning SPOTY would be a national humiliation on a par with the fall of Singapore. Swimming is a proper sport, but breast stroke is just swimming needlessly slowly, and having Adam Peaty win would be like having a backwards runner winning it. Nothing against Peaty or Daley, who are both talented and hard working individuals, but the events they excel in are ridiculous.

On swimming I don’t understand why it isn’t just A to B fastest and damn the stroke. I mean there isn’t an athletics class for running backwards at the olympics or for 100m by two footed jumps the whole way.
    I was aware that there was no freestyle when competitive swimming began. So I researched it. In a checking Wikipedia stylee.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Front_crawl
  • Options
    Best thing so far? A complete lack of noise from the players.
  • Options
    RADUCANU!!!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

It needs support for the pendulum to not swing back. I think EEA or a similar Swiss style arrangement very possible in the next decade.
    And I’d be happy with that, even as a remain voter. No question the polarisation of the debate post 2016 did not produce the best outcome.
  • Options
    That was some game!
  • Options
    What a break for Raducanu! That was an incredible game.

Fernandez doing a lot of faults. Must have been about 8 or 9 faults in that game.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    No lead for Labour in the crucial Oponiumyum. AND ONLY A TEENY DROP FOR THE CONSERVATIVES after the week they have had.
    LAB: 38%
    LDM: 8% (+1)
    GRN: 6% (=)
    SNP: 5% (-1)

Arch Remainer Starmer can’t win back Red Brex. Labour in trouble at next election. They just weren’t ready for what the Tories were going to do this week to take the chance, Red Brex are back on the Tory Train now.

Starmer’s blown it!
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

It's not a pendulum issue though. An EEA-style arrangement just doesn't make sense for a country of our size and no amount of remorse about Brexit would change the fundamentals.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,951
    rcs1000 said:

YouTube TV has the actual tennis start pegged as 913pm UK time.

My plan is to play Civilization VI and watch the tennis simultaneously.

The frame rate on the tennis is bloody awful when Civ is running :disappointed:
  • Options
    MattW said:

In other developments:

Political tin ears.

First he spent political capital trying to screw down NHS pay, followed by reverse ferret.

Episode 2 perhaps coming with Universal Credit?
    iirc Dominic Cummings wrote about his frustration at having to persuade Boris to stop opposing Marcus Rashford over starving kids.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,951

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

It's not a pendulum issue though. An EEA-style arrangement just doesn't make sense for a country of our size and no amount of remorse about Brexit would change the fundamentals.
    On the other hand, I can see a situation where there are piecemeal initiatives that bring the EU and the UK ever closer together.

And before you know it, the relationship looks very similar to the Swiss-EU one.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Well said. There's no way the UK/England can be rule takers like that, it just doesn't make sense. Same reason why the Backstop was a complete non-starter (though that was even worse).

If you want us to be in the Single Market, rejoining the EU and having a say in its rules is the way to go.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Of course. When in the EEA, there will be a desire to have a say in the decision making rather than being a satellite.
  • Options

Foxy said:

The Brexit we have is unsustainable in the mid/long term. Trade-wise we've crippled ourselves in relation to our nearest and biggest partner. That's not something the dynamics of the free market will ultimately allow. A huge reassessment will need to be made at some point, though I doubt that will happen politically until the likes of Boris and Farage are long gone.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Of course. When in the EEA, there will be a desire to have a say in the decision making rather than being a satellite.
    I think you have the cart before the horse. There would be no impetus to join the EEA unless there had already been a decision to rejoin the EU.
  • Options
    However good her second serve is, Raducanu is going to struggle to win if she keeps missing her first serve.
  • Options
    This could be a long night.
  • Options

Foxy said:

The Brexit we have is unsustainable in the mid/long term. Trade-wise we've crippled ourselves in relation to our nearest and biggest partner. That's not something the dynamics of the free market will ultimately allow. A huge reassessment will need to be made at some point, though I doubt that will happen politically until the likes of Boris and Farage are long gone.
    Yes, a new political generation is needed for the Conservative Party to revert to its pre 2016 decades of support for being in the Single Market that we created.
  • Options

I can see them getting 29% on a few occasions if things continue to go badly.
  • Options
    Fernandez breaks back
  • Options
    Very even contest so far.
  • Options
    Fernandez looks to have more power for me, massive value at 3
  • Options

Fernandez looks to have more power for me, massive value at 3

Was at 4.7 briefly. I bought a bit then. The live feed on the betfair app is quite good.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Latest German poll: https://twitter.com/Wahlrecht_de/status/1436771285359546368

INSA/BamS: SPD 26 % | CDU/CSU 20 % | GRÜNE 15 % | FDP 13 % | AfD 11 % | DIE LINKE 6 % | Sonstige 9 %

SPD appears to have plateaued at 26% but things are still dire for the CDU/CSU.

I pay the most interest to INSA polling because it was the most accurate German polling institute in 2017 and got the SPD and AfD shares in particular spot on.

I think we need to seriously consider the possibility that Herr Niemand's Sonstige gets into the Bundestag this time around.
    How would you describe their platform, what makes it different to other options ?
  • Options
    Well..

• Options
    FarooqFarooq Posts: 10,775

Well..

What the bloody hell is that? Surely fake.
  • Options

I reckon that Opinium poll is much better for Labour than the YouGov which had them ahead.

Looks like a voting change based on a Lab VI increasing a bit.

Need more polls though.

There is clearly a significant Yougov 'house effect' in that the Greens are consistently recorded at high levels.
  • Options
    OMG 2-2
  • Options
    Whoops.

That was a bit of overexuberance from Fernandez. It was more out than Philip Schofield and she still returned it.

At lest she got the next one right.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Channel 4 seems to be taking the tennis feed from Amazon Prime so it looks as if there will be no difference in the coverage or commentary

Why isn't it working online though?
    I cannot answer that as I am watching it on Sky through the Amazon app
    What else do you watch on Prime Big G? Are you a Bosch fan? The Expanse? Some of their original films?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Latest German poll: https://twitter.com/Wahlrecht_de/status/1436771285359546368

INSA/BamS: SPD 26 % | CDU/CSU 20 % | GRÜNE 15 % | FDP 13 % | AfD 11 % | DIE LINKE 6 % | Sonstige 9 %

SPD appears to have plateaued at 26% but things are still dire for the CDU/CSU.

I pay the most interest to INSA polling because it was the most accurate German polling institute in 2017 and got the SPD and AfD shares in particular spot on.

Prosecutors have raided Scholz's Finance Ministry however over allegations into how it investigated money laundering, although he should be safe it is not what he wanted in the last weeks of the campaign

https://www.dw.com/en/german-election-olaf-scholz-pressured-over-money-laundering-probe/a-59147944
    Yes, I'm not even saying Scholz is scandal free although this one isn't linked to him personally as such.

There is also the wirecard stuff but doesn't seem to have made much impact.

We will see what happens in tomorrow night's debate although the Scholz-Laschet-Baerbock setup seems to benefit Scholz as Baerbock has less incentive to attack Scholz.

• Options
    Hope you got on Fernandez at a good price Sunil!
  • Options
    Farooq said:

Well..

What the bloody hell is that? Surely fake.
    Nope.

https://twitter.com/KenPaxtonTX/status/1436647462710792194?s=20
  • Options

That was a good hold though. She needed it badly as well, as I think if she’d been broken there it was goodbye to the first set.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1436794439578656773

I would like to thank Boris Johnson at this difficult time, for re-igniting the red wall hatred for the Tories
  • Options
    carnforthcarnforth Posts: 3,184
    Just placed £20 with Ladbrokes on Fernandez at 7/5. Says it returns £48 which I suppose is £20 + £28 (I am a non-bettor). Seems rather generous at this stage, no?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

HYUFD said:

Arguably a better poll for Lab than the YG lead
    Britain Elects
    @BritainElects
    ·
    11m
    Westminster voting intention:

LAB: 38% (+3)
    LDEM: 8% (+1)
    GRN: 6% (-)

via
    @OpiniumResearch
    , 09 - 11 Sep

Electoral Calculus gives the Conservatives most seats on those numbers on 297 with Labour on 268 but Starmer could become PM with confidence and supply from the SNP on 55 and the LDs on 7

https://www.electoralcalculus.co.uk/fcgi-bin/usercode.py?scotcontrol=Y&CON=38&LAB=38&LIB=8&Reform=2&Green=6&UKIP=&TVCON=&TVLAB=&TVLIB=&TVReform=&TVGreen=&TVUKIP=&SCOTCON=23.6&SCOTLAB=19.2&SCOTLIB=6&SCOTReform=0.3&SCOTGreen=1.5&SCOTUKIP=&SCOTNAT=47.5&display=AllChanged&regorseat=(none)&boundary=2019base
    Labour will have the same problem they've had for the last few elections: during the campaign the Tories will say the only way Labour can form a government is with SNP support, and that will put off English voters.
    Polls like this for GB are likely to bring about some Labour recovery in Scotland in a Westminster election - and reduce any dependency on other parties.
  • Options
    Also says "Cash out £12.91". Do I get the stake back too with that?
  • Options
    If Starmer says early on that he opposes the SNP and is never going to go for a deal with them, any Tory attack will be neutralised
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,137
    ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

There is ONE bar open in Zurich international; terminal 1. Saturday evening. 7.45pm.

One

Be careful guys, it’s still hell out there

You not got access a the first class lounge? Having to slum it with the plebs.
    Swissair kindly bought my flights. But yes. Prole class.

That said I estimate this trip would have cost something like £7,000 for 6 days, if I’d been unfortunate enough to be ponying up my own wonga
    Where can we read your piece, or is it behind a firewall?
    I fear the dildo knappers gazette is indeed paywalled. Soz
    Never mind, perhaps this other PB denizen will be writing about it:
    https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/1436658104167456774

You want to be careful, you might find yourself sharing a flight with him and he’s known for his alcohol intake…
    Leon should be very, very scared. Eadric was being stalked by Knox on his daily walks around Cosmeston Lakes during lockdown 1. Where is he now? One of the disappeared!
  • Options

If Starmer says early on that he opposes the SNP and is never going to go for a deal with them, any Tory attack will be neutralised

Not if he's not believed.
  • Options
    edited September 2021

IshmaelZ said:

gealbhan said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

So who will be watching Last Night of the Proms tonight? Someone's got to make sure all the old songs are still there while the rest of us watch the tennis. You'd think Channel 4 would have splashed it on their website but no.

Let’s hope somebody is, choleric EU flag count by the Gammons has become a fine tradition.
    As is, equally, a hand wringing series of articles in the guardian saying ‘how can we let this jingoistic Rule Britannia nonsense go on’

They are as predictable as Daily Mail photos of hot teen girls jumping up and down, celebrating their A Level results

And both are as British as, well, the Last Night of the Proms
    The thing I never understand about the Last Night angst, the Boat Race etc etc is that it is such a small part of national life - you can ignore it trivially.

Mind you, there is nothing quite like watching idiots marooning their cars in the Thames, by parking on boat ramps without permission, while seated in a good pub. There is something very calming about sipping a pint and watching the water crawling towards the morons Chelsea tractor......
    The guardian publishes this wank because their idiot readers lap it up. Every year. Without fail. It’s no better or worse than another express article about sizzling weather or princess diana
    I haven't seen anything on it in the Guardian today. Could you direct me to it?
    It worries me that you’re a doctor. You’re not the brightest

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/sep/10/rewrite-rule-britannia-what-would-you-do-with-the-last-night-of-the-proms?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
    But its okay to have pomp and circumstance without the singing. Absolutely no one with a brain could object to that. The words make it into something opposite to what Elgar intended, so refreshing to go back to the original the pomp versus reality of actual battle.

Jersulem also stolen from the intention of the original prose, nor is it remotely as good or as patriotic as Parry’s blessed pair, thanks to fact Jerusalem not a real hymn, so we can swap that out for a change and have a far better prom.

But we are not allowed to because the swastika wearing brigade like Leon won’t allow that, without giving any rational reason why not.
    Word salad. Blest Pair of Sirens is not a hymn either, nor is it prose. Jerusalem is an exceptionally great poem.
    Pomp and Circumstance without singing is just another American high school graduation ceremony. Jerusalem is remarkable for being claimed by both right and left -- as a paean to England and to socialism.
    “ paean … and to socialism. “

Absolutely none of it is paean to Socialism. Which bit were you thinking of?
  • Options

She looks OK 😊
  • Options
    edited September 2021

She looks OK 😊
    She’s looking very strong at the moment. Coming in on the attack now.

Edit - and so does Raducanu!
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

IshmaelZ said:

gealbhan said:

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

So who will be watching Last Night of the Proms tonight? Someone's got to make sure all the old songs are still there while the rest of us watch the tennis. You'd think Channel 4 would have splashed it on their website but no.

Let’s hope somebody is, choleric EU flag count by the Gammons has become a fine tradition.
    As is, equally, a hand wringing series of articles in the guardian saying ‘how can we let this jingoistic Rule Britannia nonsense go on’

They are as predictable as Daily Mail photos of hot teen girls jumping up and down, celebrating their A Level results

And both are as British as, well, the Last Night of the Proms
    The thing I never understand about the Last Night angst, the Boat Race etc etc is that it is such a small part of national life - you can ignore it trivially.

Mind you, there is nothing quite like watching idiots marooning their cars in the Thames, by parking on boat ramps without permission, while seated in a good pub. There is something very calming about sipping a pint and watching the water crawling towards the morons Chelsea tractor......
    The guardian publishes this wank because their idiot readers lap it up. Every year. Without fail. It’s no better or worse than another express article about sizzling weather or princess diana
    I haven't seen anything on it in the Guardian today. Could you direct me to it?
    It worries me that you’re a doctor. You’re not the brightest

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2021/sep/10/rewrite-rule-britannia-what-would-you-do-with-the-last-night-of-the-proms?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
    But its okay to have pomp and circumstance without the singing. Absolutely no one with a brain could object to that. The words make it into something opposite to what Elgar intended, so refreshing to go back to the original the pomp versus reality of actual battle.

Jersulem also stolen from the intention of the original prose, nor is it remotely as good or as patriotic as Parry’s blessed pair, thanks to fact Jerusalem not a real hymn, so we can swap that out for a change and have a far better prom.

But we are not allowed to because the swastika wearing brigade like Leon won’t allow that, without giving any rational reason why not.
    Word salad. Blest Pair of Sirens is not a hymn either, nor is it prose. Jerusalem is an exceptionally great poem.
    Pomp and Circumstance without singing is just another American high school graduation ceremony. Jerusalem is remarkable for being claimed by both right and left -- as a paean to England and to socialism.
    “ paean … and to socialism. “

Absolutely none of it is paean to Socialism. Which bit were you thinking of?
    Dark satanic mills ... building the new Jerusalem.
  • Options
    I don't think Fernandez was really very sorry at all
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Just placed £20 with Ladbrokes on Fernandez at 7/5. Says it returns £48 which I suppose is £20 + £28 (I am a non-bettor). Seems rather generous at this stage, no?

Ignore. Makes sense. Lose £20 or win £28.
  • Options

ydoethur said:

Leon said:

Stocky said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

There is ONE bar open in Zurich international; terminal 1. Saturday evening. 7.45pm.

One

Be careful guys, it’s still hell out there

You not got access a the first class lounge? Having to slum it with the plebs.
    Swissair kindly bought my flights. But yes. Prole class.

That said I estimate this trip would have cost something like £7,000 for 6 days, if I’d been unfortunate enough to be ponying up my own wonga
    Where can we read your piece, or is it behind a firewall?
    I fear the dildo knappers gazette is indeed paywalled. Soz
    Never mind, perhaps this other PB denizen will be writing about it:
    https://twitter.com/thomasknox/status/1436658104167456774

You want to be careful, you might find yourself sharing a flight with him and he’s known for his alcohol intake…
    Leon should be very, very scared. Eadric was being stalked by Knox on his daily walks around Cosmeston Lakes during lockdown 1. Where is he now? One of the disappeared!
    Perhaps he has vanished so far in a hole only his feet are showing...
  • Options
    carnforth said:

I'd guess that includes the stake.
  • Options

Not if he's not believed.
    Then he will need to make sure he is
  • Options
    carnforth said:

With Betfair, cashout includes the staked amount. Not sure about other firms.
  • Options

carnforth said:

Thanks. It is now at £20.12. So I suppose I will cash out if it reaches, say, £30. Thanks PB for the education.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    TV Culture...

Blake News:
    One of my odder memories from 9/11: CNN interviewing Tom Clancy (!?) to help interpret what just happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSjrLYT1hr8
  • Options
    carnforth said:

Hard to say as prices fluctuate with each point. It might have been good value when you placed the bet, or not. On Betfair, Fernandez has moved between Evens and 3/1 so 7/5 could have been good or bad.
  • Options

Who ever wins tonight we’re seeing the start of two remarkable tennis careers….

Let’s hope so. As in, let’s hope neither get injured.
  • Options
    edited September 2021
    MattW said:

TV Culture...

Blake News:
    One of my odder memories from 9/11: CNN interviewing Tom Clancy (!?) to help interpret what just happened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSjrLYT1hr8

A friend of mine watched 9/11 whilst eating birthday cake (his sister’s 11th birthday).
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,149
    Petchy quotes Schopenhauer!
  • Options
    Raducanu’s strength is that she pounces on anything slightly short and punishes it.
  • Options
    pingping Posts: 3,731
    edited September 2021
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Thanks. It is now at £20.12. So I suppose I will cash out if it reaches, say, £30. Thanks PB for the education.
    The general advice, from a pure value perspective, is to never cash out.

Each time you bet, you pay the bookie overround. Cashing out, rather than waiting for it to settle, means you pay it twice.

Only cash out if you think the opposite outcome is more likely than the stated odds indicate. Basically, treat each bet as an individual proposition. The +-figure should be meaningless in your calculation.
  • Options
    carnforth said:

carnforth said:

Good luck. It is never too soon to take a profit (or something). Note that if you try to cash out in the middle of a game, the odds might move against you or in your favour.
  • Options
    Great match 4-4 now
  • Options
    Raducanu has extremely long legs for her height
This discussion has been closed.