Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The 2020 Euro final thread – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    kle4 said:

We don't really deserve to win this

Teams that don't deserve it win all the time. In a way, if you manage to eke out a win despite not seeming to deserve it, you probably deserve it even more for having overcome your being not as good.
    This is why it's such a fundamentally shit game. Far too many results against the run of play.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    For only the second time in my 13 years of doing events at Wembley, a total closure order has been issued on every licensed premises within 5 miles of the stadium. All bars, pubs and restaurants are to close at the final whistle without exception. It’s been as bad as you think.

https://twitter.com/notoriousBIGDP/status/1414324609411911683
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Teams that don't deserve it win all the time. In a way, if you manage to eke out a win despite not seeming to deserve it, you probably deserve it even more for having overcome your being not as good.
    Nah. That's bollocks.

I mean if it's like 60:40 okay but this hasn't been since about the 25th minute.
  • Options
    TheValiantTheValiant Posts: 1,708
    kle4 said:

Yes. Denmark won the whole lot in 1992 despite failing to qualify for the tournament. And I still don’t know how Greece won in 2004.

• Options

For only the second time in my 13 years of doing events at Wembley, a total closure order has been issued on every licensed premises within 5 miles of the stadium. All bars, pubs and restaurants are to close at the final whistle without exception. It’s been as bad as you think.

https://twitter.com/notoriousBIGDP/status/1414324609411911683

Chill, it's just Ther Lads.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,721
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

This is why it's such a fundamentally shit game. Far too many results against the run of play.
    It also means that lesser quality teams have more of a shot than most games. Have a good day and some luck and you can beat the best, which can be harder in longer, more technical games.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,279
    edited July 2021

kle4 said:

Nah. That's bollocks.

I mean if it's like 60:40 okay but this hasn't been since about the 25th minute.
    It is not percentage possession it is goals that win games
  • Options

kle4 said:

Yes. Denmark won the whole lot in 1992 despite failing to qualify for the tournament. And I still don’t know how Greece won in 2004.

Yeah but Denmark were brilliant in 1992. The whole story of them coming off the beach is legend.

England are just bloody dull. Or have been since the first half. Sitting soooooooo deep. Out of possession.

Any neutral will want the best side to win. That's Italy.

We need to get back into it.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

Because snooker is so more a gripping spectacle
  • Options

kle4 said:

Nah. That's bollocks.

What's bollocks about it? Teams demonstrably do win despite having been under the kosh. Sometimes that's down to pure luck, but other times it's tenacity and seizing your chances. England have been second best for most of this game, but haven't held out so far due to pure luck, if Italy cannot break them down some of that is down to England.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

A fundamentally immature sport. Not had its Heysel moment yet.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Nah. That's bollocks.

Obviously.

But it was 80% Italian possession and they have been looking way more dangerous for vast periods of the match.

I'm a season ticket holder at a big club until recently so I do know a bit about this game. That's why it's so frustrating.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,592
    Those Italian fans looking happy, the England fans look nervous.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,418
    kle4 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

It also means that lesser quality teams have more of a shot than most games. Have a good day and some luck and you can beat the best, which can be harder in longer, more technical games.
    And while that's unsatisfactory if the aim is to find the best team, it makes for much better entertainment.

Possibly too much entertainment.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    It seems very quiet this evening.
  • Options
    Slightly better 1st half of ET but we're not playing very well.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    This has damn penalties written all over it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Nah. That's bollocks.

What's bollocks about it? Teams demonstrably do win despite having been under the kosh. Sometimes that's down to pure luck, but other times it's tenacity and seizing your chances. England have been second best for most of this game, but haven't held out so far due to pure luck, if Italy cannot break them down some of that is down to England.
    Because we've been crap since about the 30th minute. Vastly outplayed by a better side.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

kle4 said:

Yeah but Denmark were brilliant in 1992. The whole story of them coming off the beach is legend.

England are just bloody dull. Or have been since the first half. Sitting soooooooo deep. Out of possession.

Italy will feel very aggrieved if they do lose it - and it would probably be by penalties at this point as England don't look very likely - but you have to beat what's in front of you. If they cannot beat England over 120 minutes despite being the better team that tells a story that they clearly won't have played that well, and can only blame themselves if they leave it to the footballing gods in a shoot out.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Italy will feel very aggrieved if they do lose it - and it would probably be by penalties at this point as England don't look very likely - but you have to beat what's in front of you. If they cannot beat England over 120 minutes despite being the better team that tells a story that they clearly won't have played that well, and can only blame themselves if they leave it to the footballing gods in a shoot out.
    Tbf. We have also defended well. Very few clear chances, despite all their possession.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,192
    Foxy said:

Sure! For Italy they know how to win tournaments. It isn't a national trauma if they lose.
  • Options
    edited July 2021

kle4 said:

kle4 said:

Nah. That's bollocks.

Because we've been crap since about the 30th minute. Vastly outplayed by a better side.
    I feel like we're talking at cross purposes. You're saying they've been outplayed by a better side and I don't disagree. The point was better teams lose matches too.

Perhaps you disliked my suggestion the poorer teams 'deserve' it for having held on in those situations, but I stand by it - if the good team cannot break down the poorer team then every credit to those who hold out and sneak a win.

And they clearly haven't been 'vastly' outplayed, or it would not be 1-1, with only a few notable chances. They've been outplayed.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,423
    IshmaelZ said:

IanB2 said:

IshmaelZ said:

kle4 said:

A fundamentally immature sport. Not had its Heysel moment yet.
    Snooker is more gripping, really.
    IshmaelZ is right.
    Another reason football is a fundamentally shit game is that in most sports if you cheat and get caught you are worse off than if you hadn't cheated. Often, not so football. It is set up to reward cheating.
    I am feeling irritated because the only possible outcome I can see from here is disappointment yet my daughters who are not ye t hardened to England failure want to stay up and watch it.
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

England winning on penalties would be fitting for Southgate

I rather fear the players knowing what their manger is famous for might not be good for the concentration
  • Options
    Do you know what I think is happening here? At half time, Lee Anderson swallowed his pride and started watching the game.

https://twitter.com/stephenkb/status/1414334755412267010
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,267

kle4 said:

Denmark replaced Yugoslavia who didn't exist in 1992
  • Options

Foxy said:

Sure! For Italy they know how to win tournaments. It isn't a national trauma if they lose.
    Yes, famously indifferent to football and sanguine about outcomes, yer Italian.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

kle4 said:

Nah. That's bollocks.

Obviously.

But it was 80% Italian possession and they have been looking way more dangerous for vast periods of the match.

I'm a season ticket holder at a big club until recently so I do know a bit about this game. That's why it's so frustrating.
    That's too negative an outlook.

Its not unusual for the team defending a lead to let possession slip as they become more defensive. Had we kept a clean sheet then nobody much would have mentioned the possession tomorrow.
  • Options
    England need to treat this as a battle - defend, defend, defend, then wait for the Prussians to arrive.
  • Options
    Cookie said:

Foxy said:

Yes, famously indifferent to football and sanguine about outcomes, yer Italian.
    Was it Churchill who said Italians treat football like war and wars like it is football?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603
    We are definitely having the best of the ET.
  • Options
    This is waaaaaay better. Come on.
  • Options
    Have only watched extra time, but England look lively going forward and wobbly when the Italians break.
  • Options
    That could have been a second Italian red.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,571
    I wish I'd bet on it going to penalties.
  • Options
    Can the French come on, then they can surrender
  • Options
    Is John Terry coming on for the penalties?
  • Options

That could have been a second Italian red.

Yellow at the very least, seen them given. I hope a narrative about those challenges doesn't linger if we lose.
  • Options
    Sancho and Rashford coming on - for penalties?
  • Options
    Emerson’s almost the only Italian player who couldn’t be a pasta shape
  • Options
    Perhaps we should try walking it in
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Scott_xP said:

England winning on penalties would be fitting for Southgate

I rather fear the players knowing what their manger is famous for might not be good for the concentration
    No worries, it only takes 25 years and success as manager of the national team to restore a reputation.
  • Options
    I seem to recall an FA cup match where the manager put on a new keeper in the last minute of Extra Time, which was a ballsy move if it had gone wrong.
  • Options
    Henderson hasn't been on for long.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I seem to recall an FA cup match where the manager put on a new keeper in the last minute of Extra Time, which was a ballsy move if it had gone wrong.

The Netherlands did it. Brought on Krull for the pens.
  • Options

He hardly made a mark
  • Options
    Here we go. ..
  • Options
    So it’ll be a crap way to decide a tournament
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Penalties is pushing the narrative arc thing a bit too much for me.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

He hardly made a mark
    I thought Henderson good at penalties.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,283
    FOR FUCKS SAKE
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,891

Penalties is pushing the narrative arc thing a bit too much for me.

It's going straight to DVD...
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

So it’ll be a crap way to decide a tournament

Replay, everyone comes back Wednesday, we go again.
  • Options
    Some of us have early meetings, we could have done without this.
  • Options
    So it’s the dreaded spot kicks.
  • Options
    Pickford's had more to do, maybe he'll be more on the ball, as it were?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Some of us have early meetings, we could have done without this.

Some of us have early meetings, and it’s now 1:45am!
  • Options
    As someone relatively indifferent about football these days I am delighted its gone to penalties. Top class drama.
  • Options
    Snooker matches don't go to fcking penalties
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,341
    I've bottled it and greened up on Betfair.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Davis - Taylor did.
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

Though the black ball finish in the '85 final...
  • Options
    The two brought on to take penalties will be feeling the pressure now.
  • Options
    Look, one of two things happen. You either slay your tournament AND penalties dragon with one blow. Or you don't. Double or nothing.
  • Options
    Oh shit!
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,341

I've bottled it and greened up on Betfair.

So did a lot of other people by the look of the sudden drop in Italy's price.
  • Options
    Pickford saves.
  • Options
    Pickford.
  • Options
    No way England win from here.
  • Options
    Saved!
  • Options
    I'm going to bed.
  • Options
    That's how to take a pen!
  • Options
    Wtf
  • Options
    Best. Penalty. Ever.
  • Options
    Damn.
  • Options
    Fucking Rashford fannying about.

Hate it when a player does that
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,844

Fucking Rashford fannying about.

Hate it when a player does that

Perhaps if he spent more time on his actual job than poncing about on twitter
  • Options
    Those two substitutions were a waste of time
  • Options
    So bringing people on to take penalties is a bad idea.
  • Options
    Manchester United players have cost us here.
  • Options
    Smart move with the subs, not
  • Options
    Twit
  • Options

Best. Penalty. Ever.

And again. Didn't they say they have been practicing these every training session?
  • Options
    Well....

Love penalties!
  • Options
    Pickford.
  • Options
    Missed
  • Options
    And cue the fucking riots.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,279
    Congratulations Italy
  • Options
    I'm done with international football.

Always break my heart.
  • Options
    What crap subs.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    Are you not entertained?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,984
    Italy win, it all went wrong then when Rashford spent all his time campaigning against the government rather than practicing his penalties
  • Options
    When your keeper saves 2 and you still lose, that's a bit shit
  • Options
    edited July 2021
    At least it doesn’t all fall on one guy this time
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,065
    So penalty shootout decisions becomes the defining feature of Southgate's playing career and managerial career.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Italy win, it all went wrong then when Rashford spent all his time campaigning against the government rather than practicing his penalties

Absurd.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,984
    It's coming to Rome says winning Italian player
This discussion has been closed.