Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Butler did it? – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2021
    Alistair said:

Politics For All
    @PoliticsForAlI
    | BREAKING: Rishi Sunak has said he will not tolerate an extension of freedom day beyond July 19

Politics 4 All is a shit account of frequently unsourced bollocks or uncredited material.

Even if this is accurate they've just lifted it from some other news provider.
    It from the Mail (who cribbed it from the sun). As for "lifting from other news provider".... that's exactly what the 18 year old kid who runs it days says he does, it isn't a secret....he set it up to aggregate political news, he doesn't claim to have any special inside knowledge. As exemplified by the Mail, it is exactly what most news sources do anyway these days, they just crib other stories or tweets.
  • Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

Politics For All
    @PoliticsForAlI
    | BREAKING: Rishi Sunak has said he will not tolerate an extension of freedom day beyond July 19

Good, (if accurate) but how about we open earlier?
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,343

BigRich said:

Hmmm, we might be in the by election result gets voided territory.

See this thread.

https://twitter.com/josiahmortimer/status/1409216843416485889

How simple/easy is it to get an election voided?

What if I was not involved in the election, but tolled my mate, don't vote for X because.... , that fine, but what if I whet to his house to have a chat and he is not there so I leave a note, and at the bottom, I say P.S. don't vote for X because.... , still fine? or what if the note was only saying don't vote X because.... , still fine? or what if I printed it out.... what if I printed out a few, and put one though my mate door, but got confused and it went to the wrong house?

I mean, if three is an election going on and one side thought they were going to lose, but might win if they had more time, could 'somebody' create a non-imprinted leaflet cruising there own candidate and distribute a few and then say, we must void it now? they would be in trouble if caught, but hard to catch I would have thought.

(Not suggesting that's what has happened here, Big parties are not incline to take risks and get the bad PR)

but how does the law stack up? is it only valid if the election is close?
    Very rare, only times in recent memory have election results been voided is Winchester in 1997 and Oldham East & Saddleworth in 2010.
    There was a serious attempt in Orkney and Shetland in 2015. The case law referred to in that case showed how difficult it would be. We would need compelling evidence that a major candidate was responsible for this leaflet.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,526
    ydoethur said:

Politics For All
    @PoliticsForAlI

That's the same account that said Zahawi was the new Health Secretary?
    Also in the Sun, for whatever that’s worth.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15405626/rishi-sunak-final-whistle-football-lockdown/
    Not quite the spin from Politics For All.

Mr Sunak declared: “We’re still in extra time but we are at last nearing the final whistle and I fully expect the referee to sound it on July 19.”....

...He said: “My strong hope and expectation is we are getting this done on July 19 because the vaccine programme will have given us that extra level of protection that was required by then.

• Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,031
    Pagan2 said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

Taz said:

Cyclefree said:

Taz said:

I expect this sort of thing is coming to the UK..

"A woman confronted the staff at the Wi Spa in Los Angeles after a man walked into the women's section with his genitals hanging out in front of girls. He identified as a "woman." The employees said he had a right to do that. The employees say that it's the law."

https://twitter.com/i/status/1408997169344909313

Get with the program gender critical women. This is the future. Bearded men explaining what it is to be a woman and what a woman is.
    As if we haven't had men telling us that for centuries. And exposing themselves to us as well. And behaving like perverts etc.

Only now we're utterly fed up with it. So we say no to all this bullshit.
    Yes, it is awful and if women dare to dissent against this bullshit they get attacked, no platformed, sacked and reviled by a tiny minority. Men who think they know what being a woman is.

I was fully on board with the trans lobby until I read of the cotton ceiling and lesbians being guilt shamed for not welcoming ‘girldick’.
    Sorry… have I understood that correctly…

If a man self-identities as a woman, lesbians are supported to sleep with her?

Hmmm… 🤔
    People sleep with who they want to if the desire is reciprocal. The biggest single exception is men forcing themselves on women in one way or another. The trans aspect to this is really lost in the margins. It's just that it has a certain prurient fascination.
    Guilt shaming lesbians who don’t want to sleep with women who still have their male parts is not acceptable
    And yet it is the logical consequence of self-id gender ideology.
    No it isn't. Because they never have to sleep with anyone they don't want to. For whatever reason.
    They don't. But they are being accused of transphobia and attacked. It is one reason why some lesbian groups have set up away from Stonewall and in opposition to it, precisely because they are worried about the consequences of self-id for lesbians.

This is a real issue for lesbians who feel that the demands of men wishing to transition are taking precedence over the rights of women and lesbians in particular.
    I suspect we are largely in agreement here.

If a man wants to dress as a woman that is no problem.
    If a man want to live as a woman that is no problem.
    If a man wants to take part in women's sporting events that are restricted to women that is a problem. However he/she wishes to self identify, he/she does not qualify. The weight lifting thing in the Olympics is absurd.
    If a man wants to make use of "safe spaces" for women such as toilets, prisons, changing rooms there is a conflict of rights but in my view that conflict should be resolved in favour of those born with the sex of a women if they are at risk. That is why those spaces exist.

But no one, ever, is obliged to have sex with anyone else. That is all I was saying.
    It is not quite that simple though is it. You meet someone in the bar you are attracted, you wine her and dine her over a couple of weeks then you find out she isn't a women/man depending on your gender.

At what point does it become incumbent on someone to mention it before it becomes deception? You whether he or she may be spending money on someone that you wouldn't have done if you had known up front. This sort of thing is going to crop up and I fully expect lawsuits about it.
    Isn't the simplest way to simply employ the Croc Dundee greeting whenever you meet someone new?
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 33,067
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,101
    MaxPB said:

ping said:

England’s side of the draw just got better.

If we beat Germany, we’re in the final, hopefully!

England are one of the leading claimants to the title of worst underachievers in world football. They'll probably flop against Germany, but failing that they'll almost certainly trip over their own shoelaces shortly thereafter.

If England do make it to the final then it'll be the very first time in a major tournament since you know when - that storied event pre-dating the end of regular scheduled steam railway services in the UK, the Moon landings, and the invention of the microprocessor. So let's just say that the prospects don't seem particularly bright.
    Biggest underachievers in world football:

1 Mexico
    2 Nigeria
    3 Scotland
    4 England
    Nah, the Netherlands are the worst. Never won a world cup, blessed with incredible footballing talent.

Scotland aren't underachievers, they're just rubbish.
    Netherlands have won the European Championship and reached multiple finals and semi-finals.

Scotland, who have had many great players, have never gone beyond the group stage - make a list of European countries that have done so, its a long list.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,363
    Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Posted without comment.

A man flew into a violent rage during a sexual encounter with a transgender woman.

Suhel Sood repeatedly punched the victim, slammed her head onto a washing machine, and ordered the victim to clean up her own blood after discovering she had male genitals.

Now Sood, 34, who was fuelled by booze and cocaine, has been jailed for 16 months.

Reading Crown Court heard the victim had arrived at a party with her boyfriend before ending up in a room alone with Sood.

She performed a sex act on him, before Sood switched on the light and shouted 'you're a man' before attacking her and calling her a 'dog', the Mirror reports.

"This assault arose entirely from Mr Sood discovering that she was transgender and thereafter assaulting her," Oliver Weetch, prosecuting, said.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/thug-brutally-attacked-beautiful-woman-20883241

While obviously the assault is a criminal act and should be severely punished, under British law there is a concept of rape by deception

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_by_deception

Though this would sound like sexual assault by deception. See case 2 in the Wikipedia link.
    If you deceive someone over a sexual matter and get a kicking for so doing, I can't say I have much sympathy. The law takes a different view...

How many guys would not react violently when they had been so deceived..?
    Nonetheless assaulting a person is wrong.
    It may well be but its a natural reaction for a bloke who has been deceived i don't know a mate who would not react violently. .
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,277
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

BigRich said:

See this thread.

What if I was not involved in the election, but tolled my mate, don't vote for X because.... , that fine, but what if I whet to his house to have a chat and he is not there so I leave a note, and at the bottom, I say P.S. don't vote for X because.... , still fine? or what if the note was only saying don't vote X because.... , still fine? or what if I printed it out.... what if I printed out a few, and put one though my mate door, but got confused and it went to the wrong house?

I mean, if three is an election going on and one side thought they were going to lose, but might win if they had more time, could 'somebody' create a non-imprinted leaflet cruising there own candidate and distribute a few and then say, we must void it now? they would be in trouble if caught, but hard to catch I would have thought.

(Not suggesting that's what has happened here, Big parties are not incline to take risks and get the bad PR)

Very rare, only times in recent memory have election results been voided is Winchester in 1997 and Oldham East & Saddleworth in 2010.
    If someone wanted to void a by-election what would prevent them putting out say 30,000 leaflets of this type ?
    Doesn’t printing a political leaflet without the correct label it come with a very large fine?
    nicole lampert
    @nicolelampert
    ·
    11m
    I’ve heard from friends campaigning in Batley that Labour activists are being actively intimidated and have even had eggs thrown at them. Our politics has been toxic for a while but this is still beyond awful.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Foxy said:

nico679 said:

The UK right wing press were so desperate to big up Le Pen as they see her as a vehicle to cause problems for the EU if she won the Presidency and her party has just won zero regions and has lost votes from the last elections.

Some of her supporters aren’t happy as she’s tried to look less racist as a means to appear to a wider electorate and in fact she’s now not hateful enough for them so they stayed at home .

Heart of stone not to laugh...
    Well, it looks like Le Pen has slipped from 27% to 20%.

LREM got 7%

God know what will happen in the next Presidential election.
    I think the conventional right will win.
    I hope so - but not at the cost of the doing what Macron has been doing. Stealing policies from Le Pen....
    I think next year's French elections could be quite exciting. I think both the Macron and Le Pen numbers are quite soft - and both for similar reasons. He has attempted to outflank her on the Right, while she has rowed back on a lot of her more populist policies. Both have therefore alienated a lot of their traditional supporters.

If LR manage to find a charismatic candidate, then I think they could be in with a real shot.
    LR were expected to win last time but then imploded with a corrupt candidate.
  • Options
    Itv online stream is so shit, I am watching an "unofficial" stream of a higher quality.
  • Options
    Many countries offer incentives to entice people to be vaccinated against Covid-19. Pakistan is taking a more punitive approach.

Authorities in this country of 220 million threaten those refusing to accept the shot with punishments from cutting off their cellphone connections to withholding their salaries.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/saying-no-to-covid-19-vaccine-in-pakistan-carries-consequences-11624359601
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    Evening all :)

I had my second vaccination four weeks ago but the climate of fear among my friends and acquaintances is now absurd. Stories like that of Andrew Marr are frightening even the doubly vaccinated, many of whom are genuinely scared, given their medical conditions, even a mild dose of coronavirus could have complications.

One friend, having gone out on a number of occasions after her second vaccinations, is now self-isolating again out of fear.

The mood seems to be we were told we would be safe if vaccinated - we've been vaccinated and we still aren't safe.

I don't get that at all but it's the mood that's out there, not that I claim to be any representative of the zeitgeist.

Telling people they are "free" on July 19th will change nothing if we can't instil some measures of confidence - I do think the more people are vaccinated, the lower the chances of transmissions so we need to re-double our efforts on that front.
  • Options
    DecrepiterJohnLDecrepiterJohnL Posts: 24,461

Pulpstar said:

BigRich said:

See this thread.

If someone wanted to void a by-election what would prevent them putting out say 30,000 leaflets of this type ?
    A huge fine and potential prison sentence.
    Cheaper and safer to use social media to spread smears, even if coverage is less. And the best smears are based on half-truths.
  • Options
    Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pagan2 said:

Foxy said:

Pulpstar said:

Pagan2 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pagan2 said:

alex_ said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

Taz said:

Cyclefree said:

Taz said:

"A woman confronted the staff at the Wi Spa in Los Angeles after a man walked into the women's section with his genitals hanging out in front of girls. He identified as a "woman." The employees said he had a right to do that. The employees say that it's the law."

Get with the program gender critical women. This is the future. Bearded men explaining what it is to be a woman and what a woman is.
    As if we haven't had men telling us that for centuries. And exposing themselves to us as well. And behaving like perverts etc.

Yes, it is awful and if women dare to dissent against this bullshit they get attacked, no platformed, sacked and reviled by a tiny minority. Men who think they know what being a woman is.

I was fully on board with the trans lobby until I read of the cotton ceiling and lesbians being guilt shamed for not welcoming ‘girldick’.

Hmmm… 🤔
    People sleep with who they want to if the desire is reciprocal. The biggest single exception is men forcing themselves on women in one way or another. The trans aspect to this is really lost in the margins. It's just that it has a certain prurient fascination.
    Guilt shaming lesbians who don’t want to sleep with women who still have their male parts is not acceptable
    No it isn't. Because they never have to sleep with anyone they don't want to. For whatever reason.
    They don't. But they are being accused of transphobia and attacked. It is one reason why some lesbian groups have set up away from Stonewall and in opposition to it, precisely because they are worried about the consequences of self-id for lesbians.

This is a real issue for lesbians who feel that the demands of men wishing to transition are taking precedence over the rights of women and lesbians in particular.

If a man wants to take part in women's sporting events that are restricted to women that is a problem. However he/she wishes to self identify, he/she does not qualify. The weight lifting thing in the Olympics is absurd.
    If a man wants to make use of "safe spaces" for women such as toilets, prisons, changing rooms there is a conflict of rights but in my view that conflict should be resolved in favour of those born with the sex of a women if they are at risk. That is why those spaces exist.

But no one, ever, is obliged to have sex with anyone else. That is all I was saying.
    The weightlifting thing is a bit more nuanced than simply being about “self-Id” (although I agree in general). The rules require the suppression of testosterone levels to female “limits” for a period of time (1 year?). The complaints is that the advantages a man get in general (through puberty etc) are permanent and significant. So it is attempting to regulate/allow fair competition for something which can’t be regulated away.
    The simple answer of course is just introduce a third competition category...male female and trans
    Isn't needed, the male category in sports should always be 'open'. Can't think of any sport where being female is an advantage - it's the female cat that needs to be protected as 'athlete deemed female', 'born female'.
    The problem with testosterone limits is athletes who are deemed female and have not gone any sort of sex change operation (Semenya) then have to supress their natural T levels. Perhaps Semenya shouldn't be deemed female for sporting competition purposes but she is and if she is then she shouldn't have to supress her natural advantage of higher T.
    I included transgender because of the following:

If you allow trans M to F into female sports it is unfair to women
    If you make all trans enter male sport then it is unfair to F to M transgenders
    The issue is the number of competitive (In any direction) trans sports people is so tiny that Laurel Hubbard is basically competing against herself in the weightlifting for example.
    It is worth noting that Trans people have been permitted in the Olympics for over a decade, so it does seem that hordes of men declaring themselves as women in order to participate in women's events is rather a non-issue.
    Are hordes the problem though....does it not become a problem if in most sports the top female athelete is trans, that doesn't require hordes
    Are there any?
    https://www.wired.com/story/the-glorious-victories-of-trans-athletes-are-shaking-up-sports/

"two transgender athletes—Miller and another runner, Andraya Yearwood—“have amassed 15 different state championship titles that were once held by nine different girls across the state."
    THe reaction is that people will stop watching ATHLETICS imho.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Posted without comment.

A man flew into a violent rage during a sexual encounter with a transgender woman.

Suhel Sood repeatedly punched the victim, slammed her head onto a washing machine, and ordered the victim to clean up her own blood after discovering she had male genitals.

Now Sood, 34, who was fuelled by booze and cocaine, has been jailed for 16 months.

Reading Crown Court heard the victim had arrived at a party with her boyfriend before ending up in a room alone with Sood.

She performed a sex act on him, before Sood switched on the light and shouted 'you're a man' before attacking her and calling her a 'dog', the Mirror reports.

"This assault arose entirely from Mr Sood discovering that she was transgender and thereafter assaulting her," Oliver Weetch, prosecuting, said.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/news/uk-news/thug-brutally-attacked-beautiful-woman-20883241

While obviously the assault is a criminal act and should be severely punished, under British law there is a concept of rape by deception

Though this would sound like sexual assault by deception. See case 2 in the Wikipedia link.
    If you deceive someone over a sexual matter and get a kicking for so doing, I can't say I have much sympathy. The law takes a different view...

It may well be but its a natural reaction for a bloke who has been deceived i don't know a mate who would not react violently. .
    IANAL but that looks like mitigation, not a defence.
  • Options
    Pagan2Pagan2 Posts: 8,846
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

Taz said:

Cyclefree said:

Taz said:

Hmmm… 🤔

It is not quite that simple though is it. You meet someone in the bar you are attracted, you wine her and dine her over a couple of weeks then you find out she isn't a women/man depending on your gender.

At what point does it become incumbent on someone to mention it before it becomes deception? You whether he or she may be spending money on someone that you wouldn't have done if you had known up front. This sort of thing is going to crop up and I fully expect lawsuits about it.
    Isn't the simplest way to simply employ the Croc Dundee greeting whenever you meet someone new?
    Its not really a trans issue to my mind. For example there are things about me that if known might make someone think twice. I am always up front about them on the first date rather than wait till it gets a few months down the line. Same would be true of for example a manageable but incurable std. Wasting someone elses time/money when you know something they don't which might mean they wouldn't is morally wrong
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Pulpstar said:

BigRich said:

See this thread.

A huge fine and potential prison sentence.
    Cheaper and safer to use social media to spread smears, even if coverage is less. And the best smears are based on half-truths.
    Social media is so 5 years ago...Whatsapp groups. As the likes of MaxPb has reported they have been especially targetted among the Asian community for antivax propaganda. No reason the same isn't used for political purposes.
  • Options
    Johanna Konta: British number one out of Wimbledon after member of her team tests positive for COVID http://news.sky.com/story/johanna-konta-british-number-one-out-of-wimbledon-after-member-of-her-team-tests-positive-for-covid-12343549
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320

ydoethur said:

Politics For All
    @PoliticsForAlI

Also in the Sun, for whatever that’s worth.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/15405626/rishi-sunak-final-whistle-football-lockdown/
    Not quite the spin from Politics For All.

Mr Sunak declared: “We’re still in extra time but we are at last nearing the final whistle and I fully expect the referee to sound it on July 19.”....

...He said: “My strong hope and expectation is we are getting this done on July 19 because the vaccine programme will have given us that extra level of protection that was required by then.

That’s the Sun’s spin. Check out the photo captions.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    ydoethur said:

BigRich said:

See this thread.

It happened in Manchester to Phil Woolas, for fairly similar reasons.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-11701978
    Though Woolas was behind the smears then, and they were untrue.

Not sure who's behind the "Labour supports taking the knee" leaflet, and its true.
  • Options
    FFS

BREAKING: British No 1 Johanna Konta has been forced to withdraw from Wimbledon after going into self-isolation having been identified as a close contact of a person with coronavirus.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,320

ydoethur said:

BigRich said:

See this thread.

Not sure who's behind the "Labour supports taking the knee" leaflet, and its true.
    Read what’s actually in it.

As for the other, we know perfectly well who’s behind it. The difficulty might be that they’re not standing in the election.
  • Options
    NEW Matt Hancock will NOT accept £16,000 in severance pay owed to him in lieu of notice after resigning from the Government, The Telegraph understands.
    More in The Daily Telegraph tomorrow.

https://twitter.com/christopherhope/status/1409244994599272449
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    De Bruyne injury for Belgium is massive. Not necessarily for this game, but to win the tournament. I think this is their last chance to win something for quite a while as they are now aging squad.
  • Options
  • Options

Idiot innumerate journalist getting schooled....

Okay, scientists and epidemiologists on Twitter, can someone explain this to me please? Who/what to believe? https://t.co/4HkvMCq31h

-----

Great opportunity to show slides from my methods class (1/n)

https://twitter.com/alexandreafonso/status/1408698153935724546?s=19

one interpretation:

Israel is showing, vaccines on there own are not enough to stop the spread of Delta, that's a pity (at least not with 62% of total population vaccinated and Israeli levels of population density)

But they do stop, or masily reduce the changes of hospitalisation and/or death,

So if its going to rise at some point but not do that much harm, lets just open now. and at least have an economy that can pay for the NHS.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504
    alex_ said:

Carnyx said:

alex_ said:

Batley & Spen – the Standard reports police are investigating attacks on Labour activists.

Labour activists in the Batley and Spen by-election have been pelted with eggs and kicked in the head while on the campaign trail, the region’s mayor has said.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/tracy-brabin-labour-batley-west-yorkshire-keir-starmer-b942884.html

Galloway really is scum with the hatred he whips up.
    How do you know it's his lot that are doing the acts spoken of? Could be the Tories or the Monster Raving Loonies for all one knows.
    I didn’t say it was his lot directly. But his campaigning creates the conditions for it to happen. It’s not a coincidence that trouble follows elections he’s involved in.
    Yes - it's a bit like the racists attacks following the EDL around. Either they have a dedicated gang of opponents faking attacks or.......
  • Options
    FT EDITORIAL: After Hancock’s exit the cabinet must get a grip #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1409245971142393872/photo/1
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    BigRich said:

Idiot innumerate journalist getting schooled....

Okay, scientists and epidemiologists on Twitter, can someone explain this to me please? Who/what to believe? https://t.co/4HkvMCq31h

-----

Great opportunity to show slides from my methods class (1/n)

https://twitter.com/alexandreafonso/status/1408698153935724546?s=19

one interpretation:

Israel is showing, vaccines on there own are not enough to stop the spread of Delta, that's a pity (at least not with 62% of total population vaccinated and Israeli levels of population density)

But they do stop, or masily reduce the changes of hospitalisation and/or death,

So if its going to rise at some point but not do that much harm, lets just open now. and at least have an economy that can pay for the NHS.
    We have a much bigger dataset here and it all looks encouraging if you are fully vaccinated.
  • Options
    borisatsunborisatsun Posts: 188
    x

Politics For All
    @PoliticsForAlI

He was just quoting what Giles Sheldrick of the Express tweeted - "I understand vaccines minister nadhim zahawi will be Hancock’s replacement - safe pair of hands and has excelled at the Covid jab rollout"

And he fairly quickly pointed out that there were conflicting reports, so to take them all with a pinch of salt.
  • Options
    No wonder Andrew Neil has taken a holiday.

GB News trounced in viewing figures by Pobol y Cwm – and gets five times fewer than Welsh language Paw Patrol

GB News’s viewing figures have slumped below those of Welsh language S4C shows such as Pobol y Cwm, the latest figures reveal.

The right-wing news channel debuted to ratings of 336,000 on June 13, higher even than established rivals Sky News and BBC News.

But the latest figures showed a significant slump, with only a maximum of 32,000 tuning in on Thursday. Chairman Andrew Neil’s own flagship show only attracted 31,000.

It means that the channel has slumped below viewing figures for Welsh language S4C shows such as Pobol y Cwm, which attracts 44,000 viewers according to the latest S4C stats.

Welsh language Paw Patrol, Patrol Pawennau, pulled in over five times as many viewers at 161,000.

BBC News at Ten on Thursday meanwhile pulled in 3.6 million viewers.

https://nation.cymru/news/gb-news-trounced-in-viewing-figures-by-pobol-y-cwm-and-gets-five-times-fewer-than-welsh-language-paw-patrol/
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

Foxy said:

Posted without comment.

IANAL but that looks like mitigation, not a defence.
    That's how ridiculous our laws have become.. the perpetrator gets a lesser sentence than the outraged victim...
  • Options
    edited June 2021

GB News trounced in viewing figures by Pobol y Cwm – and gets five times fewer than Welsh language Paw Patrol

GB News’s viewing figures have slumped below those of Welsh language S4C shows such as Pobol y Cwm, the latest figures reveal.

The right-wing news channel debuted to ratings of 336,000 on June 13, higher even than established rivals Sky News and BBC News.

But the latest figures showed a significant slump, with only a maximum of 32,000 tuning in on Thursday. Chairman Andrew Neil’s own flagship show only attracted 31,000.

It means that the channel has slumped below viewing figures for Welsh language S4C shows such as Pobol y Cwm, which attracts 44,000 viewers according to the latest S4C stats.

Welsh language Paw Patrol, Patrol Pawennau, pulled in over five times as many viewers at 161,000.

https://nation.cymru/news/gb-news-trounced-in-viewing-figures-by-pobol-y-cwm-and-gets-five-times-fewer-than-welsh-language-paw-patrol/

The comparison with BBC One news at 10 is ridiculous. A better comparison is sky news which is more the 50k mark. i can't remember BBC news channel off the top of my head but that doesn't pull in mega audiences either, albeit more than Sky

As a load of us pointed out there isn't any real viewership in dedicated news channels in the UK. Especially one that appears to be amateur hour version of Talk Radio. It is nothing unique.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,130
    Scott_xP said:

FT EDITORIAL: After Hancock’s exit the cabinet must get a grip #TomorrowsPapersToday https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1409245971142393872/photo/1

It needs a seriously shaken up Cabinet though. Brexit was five years ago, PM. You do not need to still be repaying the debt of supporting Brexit.

Reshuffle now. And a big one too. Start getting some new blood in prominent places.
  • Options

Brexit was five years ago, PM. You do not need to still be repaying the debt of supporting Brexit.

He needs it more than ever now the Brexit fantasies give way to the sad realities
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,270

Patrol Pawennau is more understandable to English viewers and the lip syncing is significantly better than GBNews.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,480
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

BigRich said:

See this thread.

Read what’s actually in it.

As for the other, we know perfectly well who’s behind it. The difficulty might be that they’re not standing in the election.
    Who?
  • Options

The comparison with BBC One news at 10 is ridiculous. A better comparison is sky news which is more the 50k mark. i can't remember BBC news channel off the top of my head but that doesn't pull in mega audiences either, albeit more than Sky

As a load of us pointed out there isn't any real viewership in dedicated news channels in the UK. Especially one that appears to be amateur hour version of Talk Radio. It is nothing unique.
    I still think that having constant talk segments is a mistake. They should do a GB news bulletin programme e.g. GB News at 7 as that would give people more reason to tune in regularly.
  • Options
    EXCL: Ben Wallace & UK's 6 most senior military commanders are self isolating after head of Armed Forces tested positive for Covid

Gen Sir Nick Carter's result means "close contacts" Wallace & chiefs of Navy, RAF & Strat Com must also isolate for 10 days

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/27/defences-general-sir-nick-carter-six-senior-military-commanders/
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,193
    Here we go. Pepe starting a fight.
  • Options
    stodge said:

Evening all :)

I had my second vaccination four weeks ago but the climate of fear among my friends and acquaintances is now absurd. Stories like that of Andrew Marr are frightening even the doubly vaccinated, many of whom are genuinely scared, given their medical conditions, even a mild dose of coronavirus could have complications.

One friend, having gone out on a number of occasions after her second vaccinations, is now self-isolating again out of fear.

The mood seems to be we were told we would be safe if vaccinated - we've been vaccinated and we still aren't safe.

I don't get that at all but it's the mood that's out there, not that I claim to be any representative of the zeitgeist.

Telling people they are "free" on July 19th will change nothing if we can't instil some measures of confidence - I do think the more people are vaccinated, the lower the chances of transmissions so we need to re-double our efforts on that front.

With one expiation that's not my experience, maybe they know my opinion and are being pilite, my friends relatives what to open up ASAP. unless mood has changed over weekend?

I think that formally opening up will change the narrative, especially a week later if there is no rush of hospitalizations.

But ultimately some what to keep wereing a mask, and stay at home while others go to night clubs and dance at weddings, well that's there chose as it all ways was.

The one exemption is a Nurse who worked on a covid ward, and has had 2 relatives die, and had a bad case herself.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Sandpit said:

Charles said:

rcs1000 said:

On the subject of cash: I would be a lot more relaxed about forcing businesses to accept cash if the rules on opening bank accounts were no so byzantine. Yes, I know it's all anti money laundering, but the experience a friend of ours had was positively Byzantine.

She's 21, a graduate of a top US University, that got accepted to do a Masters in London.

She got the relevant visa, found a flat share, wired money over and arrived in the UK. First day, she went to go and open a bank account.

You need to have evidence of a bank account in your home country.

No problem. Here's my bank card and a print out of the statement.

Print outs aren't acceptable because they don't meet AML standards.

But the bank doesn't send me paper copies.

Sorry, we can't open a bank account for you.

Eventually she needed to get stuff Fedexed from the US to the UK so she could open an account which had negligible sums going through it.

I have had a US bank account for 15 years.

This year they insisted on extra security involving an SMS text. But they can’t send to an international bank account.

So now, to improve security, I can’t access my account without getting my mother in law to do it for me…
    An international phone number?

I have a similar issue with a UK bank.
    Yes… I was multi tasking
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

I'm not reading the Daily Fail but unless its been taken into account wouldn't the reported emigration of ~800,000 people during lockdown have seen a considerable number of children emigrate too? It wouldn't surprise if ~100,000 pupils plus would be in that number.
  • Options
    Yellow? That is a disgrace. The Belgian hadn't even given him oral sex pretending to be a woman.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,496
    Scott_xP said:

Brexit was five years ago, PM. You do not need to still be repaying the debt of supporting Brexit.

He needs it more than ever now the Brexit fantasies give way to the sad realities
    The Brexit fantasy that you might get your shit together and move on giving way to the sad reality that you won't?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

I still think that having constant talk segments is a mistake. They should do a GB news bulletin programme e.g. GB News at 7 as that would give people more reason to tune in regularly.
    I don't understand anything about it really. Lots of nothingness with weird hires e.g Dan Wooton.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    Pepe's such a filthy player.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Politics For All
    @PoliticsForAlI

Wants to stop Saj claiming the credit…
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Poor mans Ramos....
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I'd cheer for France against Portugal because of Pepe.

Absolute shithouse.
  • Options
    It seems the Belgians are getting a bit fed up of being thumped and are thumping back. They may win this but be much weakened for the next game.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

It seems the Belgians are getting a bit fed up of being thumped and are thumping back. They may win this but be much weakened for the next game.

I expected Belgium to easily dispatch Portugal, but making hard work of it.
  • Options

I make a point of checking GB News every day. The gross technical errors of the first few days have been fixed but streaming still stutters.

But as you say, most of its programming is akin to radio phone-ins with pictures, and you can get pictures from actual radio stations these days, and the odd vox pop. Star signings like Nigel Farage are wasted.

Most of the news links posted here are from Twitter, the BBC, Sky or Fleet Street. I've not seen PBers quoting GB News.

It's early days but disappointing so far. I hope Andrew Neil is conducting a review of programming and is not ill.
  • Options

DavidL said:

I expected Belgium to easily dispatch Portugal, but making hard work of it.
    Having their best player kicked off the pitch hasn't helped.
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,877
    BigRich said:

With one expiation that's not my experience, maybe they know my opinion and are being pilite, my friends relatives what to open up ASAP. unless mood has changed over weekend?

I think that formally opening up will change the narrative, especially a week later if there is no rush of hospitalizations.

But ultimately some what to keep wereing a mask, and stay at home while others go to night clubs and dance at weddings, well that's there chose as it all ways was.

The one exemption is a Nurse who worked on a covid ward, and has had 2 relatives die, and had a bad case herself.

I'm no night clubber so that means nothing to me (Vienna). In almost every other respect, my life is now normal apart from the mask wearing - now, that may be more interesting. I suspect the mandatory aspect will end on July 19th but I also think the power will be held in reserve so if we do get a big flu outbreak or similar, the mandatory wearing of masks on public transport could be re-instated.
  • Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298
    edited June 2021

Andy_JS said:

I think it's time for a law telling businesses that they must accept cash.

Does anyone agree?

Absolutely not!

Its none of the state's business what businesses choose to accept or not accept. That's disgustingly authoritarian.

Would you call for a law telling businesses they must accept cards?
    "Authoritarian" is a word. What have you got against this measure? Telling us we mustn't visit our parents or go within 2 metres of each other is quite authoritarian too. Why's it absolutely wrong in all circumstances for the public authorities to limit the choices open to businesses on what payment methods they accept, who they sell to, how much they pay their employees, what hours they open, what they are allowed to sell, and so on? Who wants a free-for-all for businesses? It's never been the case that that is a recipe for countering centralisation and concentration. Quite the contrary - it has often enabled them. Allowing businesses to refuse to accept cash could lead to some kind of "-tarianism" that's even worse than "authori-".

I've run into quite a few people who are reluctant to distinguish between authoritarian/non-authoritarian and justified/unjustified, saying things like the lockdown can't be authoritarian because (emphasising every syllable) there's a pandemic. That's an argument that it's justified, not that it isn't authoritarian.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Charles said:

Politics For All
    @PoliticsForAlI

Wants to stop Saj claiming the credit…
    Probably but there is also the sense of Cabinet Ministers looking to wrest control from a weakened Prime Minister, and jockeying for position should Boris retire.
  • Options
    Sajid Javid is to push to scrap restrictions “asap” over fears of cost to families & economy

He's set to make Commons statement tomo pm, after hospital visit am

Quad met this eve to discuss July 5. Mood in advance among Govt sources was against changes

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/06/27/sajid-javid-push-end-lockdown-soon-possible/
  • Options
    Gnud said:

Andy_JS said:

Does anyone agree?

Absolutely not!

Its none of the state's business what businesses choose to accept or not accept. That's disgustingly authoritarian.

"Authoritarian" is a word. What have you got against this measure? Telling us we mustn't visit our parents or go within 2 metres of each other is quite authoritarian too. Why's it absolutely wrong in all circumstances for the public authorities to limit the choices open to businesses on what payment methods they accept, who they sell to, how much they pay their employees, what hours they open, what they are allowed to sell, and so on? Allowing businesses to refuse to accept cash could lead to some kind of "-tarianism" that's even worse than "authori-".

I've run into quite a few people who are reluctant to distinguish between authoritarian/non-authoritarian and justified/unjustified, saying things like the lockdown can't be authoritarian because (emphasising every syllable) there's a pandemic.
    Of course telling people they can't see their family is authoritarian.

Some might want to argue that its right to be authoritarian because there's a pandemic, but to deny that it is a fundamental breach of our civil liberties is just not true.
  • Options
    TresTres Posts: 2,234

That would require employing actual journalists rather than bullshit merchants.
  • Options
    Tres said:

Doesn't seem to harm BBC and Sky too much....
  • Options
    Matt Hancock took mistress Gina Coladangelo to a G7 health conference three weeks ago https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/06/27/matt-hancock-took-mistress-gina-coladangelo-g7-health-conference/
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Scott_xP said:

EXCL: Ben Wallace & UK's 6 most senior military commanders are self isolating after head of Armed Forces tested positive for Covid

Gen Sir Nick Carter's result means "close contacts" Wallace & chiefs of Navy, RAF & Strat Com must also isolate for 10 days

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/06/27/defences-general-sir-nick-carter-six-senior-military-commanders/

Govt need to get a grip and follow US in ending self isolation for fully vaxxed IM (non expert) O
  • Options
    What's the ratio of free kick shots on goal to goals from them in this tournament ?
  • Options
    Has Bruno Fernandes ever won a major match for Manchester United or Portugal?

Overrated show pony.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,244
    Tres said:

Most of them are trained journalists.
  • Options

What's the ratio of free kick shots on goal to goals from them in this tournament ?

In general it is actually very very low. Off the top of my head, I seemed to remember there was an analysis done a couple of seasons ago and Eriksen was the best performer with ~25% of free kick on target and he was well ahead of everybody else.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,942
    France & Italy the big winners from that game with KDB and Hazard picking up niggles/injuries.
  • Options
    stodge said:

BigRich said:

I'm no night clubber so that means nothing to me (Vienna). In almost every other respect, my life is now normal apart from the mask wearing - now, that may be more interesting. I suspect the mandatory aspect will end on July 19th but I also think the power will be held in reserve so if we do get a big flu outbreak or similar, the mandatory wearing of masks on public transport could be re-instated.
    The night clubs themselves are arguable only an issue to some, but its more than that.

Sadly the big thing is the Furlough scheme, in needs to be wind down and soon, 2.4 million still on it by some estimations, some of theses need to get back to there jobs, others need to start looking for other employment.

There may be lots of company's that have furlough receptionists, cleaners or others, and are going to say, you know what we can manage with out you sorry and thanks for your time but goodbye and good luck, in other cases the company may be functionally bankrupt, but is being kept open on paper because the boss likes his workers and by doing so feels he is helping them.

But 1) we can not afford to keep paying people to do nothing for ever, especially now we have borrowed so much.
    2) we need theses people in other parts of the economy to head off a sharp inflationary spick.
    3) by this point in most cases it will achaly be good for there mental heath to have productive employment.
  • Options
    Well that second half had everything the first lacked. I am glad Belgium are through. I hope de Bruyne is fit for Italy. England must be so glad not to be on this side of the draw.
  • Options

I make a point of checking GB News every day. The gross technical errors of the first few days have been fixed but streaming still stutters.

But as you say, most of its programming is akin to radio phone-ins with pictures, and you can get pictures from actual radio stations these days, and the odd vox pop. Star signings like Nigel Farage are wasted.

Most of the news links posted here are from Twitter, the BBC, Sky or Fleet Street. I've not seen PBers quoting GB News.

It's early days but disappointing so far. I hope Andrew Neil is conducting a review of programming and is not ill.
    And also just to add, if they did a local GB news bulletin that would also be something to tune for (and as GB news said it wanted to be more localist)
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,779
    Two recent German polls have the Greens down on 19% and the SPD on 17%.

https://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    Scott_xP said:

Matt Hancock took mistress Gina Coladangelo to a G7 health conference three weeks ago https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/06/27/matt-hancock-took-mistress-gina-coladangelo-g7-health-conference/

Uganda?
  • Options
    GnudGnud Posts: 298
    edited June 2021
    On topic: so the Sunday Telegraph is joining Gorgeous George Galloway in pushing the idea that SKS might be caused by the loss of B&S to wave goodbye to the Labour leadership. But while SKS is nowhere near as effective a leader as Jeremy Corbyn was, resignation is unlikely if Labour only lose by a four-figure majority. As for Gorgeous, he is nothing like as important at national level as he thinks.
  • Options
    Alphabet_SoupAlphabet_Soup Posts: 2,764
    Scott_xP said:

Lucky bastard.
  • Options
    TazTaz Posts: 11,244

And also just to add, if they did a local GB news bulletin that would also be something to tune for (and as GB news said it wanted to be more localist)
    They have local correspondants. Just need to make,use of them.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Scott_xP said:

I think as somebody else pointed out a big thing that could come out of this is a review of appointments of “non-exec directors” to Govt departments. Even if she was genuinely doing a job, as well as jobs, it isn’t obvious that it bore any relation to the traditional role of a NED and seems to have been more of a personal aide/asst to the minister. Which in itself should have raised questions...

• Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Alistair said:

FFS

BREAKING: British No 1 Johanna Konta has been forced to withdraw from Wimbledon after going into self-isolation having been identified as a close contact of a person with coronavirus.

Discussing the general situation with my wife and we are in agreement that it is now in a completely ridiculous situation.

Cases are rocketing, the government are in no way taking societal level actions to suppress case numbers but we still have to self isolate after being a "close contact"

It is a worst of all worlds situation. Either cases matter ro they don't. If they matter we must suppress, if they don't then fuck this self isolation nonsense.

With Edinburgh case numbers now dwarfing January what chance my daughters summer holiday activities going ahead uninterrupted/at all? Close to zero.
    Self-isolation policies could yet destroy that tournament. Ditto Euro 2020. It only takes one person to cough in the wrong place at the wrong time and the whole pack of cards collapses - and there are more and more people coughing all the time.

But yes, on the broader principle, I concur. If cases no longer matter than locking up contacts is pointless. Get them to do a couple of PCR tests and only lock them up if they come up positive, or just don't bother at all.
  • Options
    Gnud said:

On topic: so the Sunday Telegraph is joining Gorgeous George Galloway in pushing the idea that SKS will resign the Labour leadership if Labour loses B&S. While SKS is nowhere near as effective a leader as Jeremy Corbyn was, resignation is unlikely if Labour only lose by a four-figure majority. As for Gorgeous, he is nowhere near as important at national level as he thinks.

only lose by a four-figure majority

I don't think there's much chance of Labour losing by 10k+.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

Taz said:

Cyclefree said:

Taz said:

Hmmm… 🤔

Also legally is it even deception?

If a transwoman (biological man) identifies as and is legally a woman, even if they have a penis, then why would they need to say that they have a penis or are biologically a man?

Which is kind of messed up, but legally is there any grounds for it to be considered a deception?

That the girl you've picked up has a penis may be a bit more of a shock than that she has a third nipple or false leg, but is there any law that says it needs to be declared?
  • Options

In general it is actually very very low. Off the top of my head, I seemed to remember there was an analysis done a couple of seasons ago and Eriksen was the best performer with ~25% of free kick on target and he was well ahead of everybody else.
    Taking a direct shot though seems to have become almost a virility test.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Scott_xP said:

I think as somebody else pointed out a big thing that could come out of this is a review of appointments of “non-exec directors” to Govt departments. Even if she was genuinely doing a job, as well as jobs, it isn’t obvious that it bore any relation to the traditional role of a NED and seems to have been more of a personal aide/asst to the minister. Which in itself should have raised questions...

Totally agree. She looks very much like his full time comms SPAD aide and not an non-exec for the department.

Another disgrace to add the massive list for this shower of a government.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,952

There haven't been any goals from free kicks have there?
  • Options
    isam said:

There haven't been any goals from free kicks have there?
    Penalties obviously, but apart from that I cannot recall one.
  • Options
    borisatsunborisatsun Posts: 188

Best free kick team would be Ward-Prowse on the left, Dybala on the right.

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

Charles said:

kinabalu said:

Charles said:

Taz said:

Cyclefree said:

Taz said:

Hmmm… 🤔

Also legally is it even deception?

If a transwoman (biological man) identifies as and is legally a woman, even if they have a penis, then why would they need to say that they have a penis or are biologically a man?

Which is kind of messed up, but legally is there any grounds for it to be considered a deception?

That the girl you've picked up has a penis may be a bit more of a shock than that she has a third nipple or false leg, but is there any law that says it needs to be declared?
    It seems reasonable to think that accepting blowjobs from random strangers is not a risk free exercise.
    And in no way does it justify GBH.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

stodge said:

BigRich said:

The night clubs themselves are arguable only an issue to some, but its more than that.

Sadly the big thing is the Furlough scheme, in needs to be wind down and soon, 2.4 million still on it by some estimations, some of theses need to get back to there jobs, others need to start looking for other employment.

There may be lots of company's that have furlough receptionists, cleaners or others, and are going to say, you know what we can manage with out you sorry and thanks for your time but goodbye and good luck, in other cases the company may be functionally bankrupt, but is being kept open on paper because the boss likes his workers and by doing so feels he is helping them.

But 1) we can not afford to keep paying people to do nothing for ever, especially now we have borrowed so much.
    2) we need theses people in other parts of the economy to head off a sharp inflationary spick.
    3) by this point in most cases it will achaly be good for there mental heath to have productive employment.
    SAGE advice needs to now be reviewed by a more balanced team that includes economists. Cabinet needs to get a grip and stop allowing a tiny group of ministers to make all the decisions. imho we can't afford to carry on like this.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,504
    Taz said:

Tres said:

Most of them are trained journalists.
    Is that similar to being a trained Marxist?
  • Options
    Alistair said:

FFS

Discussing the general situation with my wife and we are in agreement that it is now in a completely ridiculous situation.

Cases are rocketing, the government are in no way taking societal level actions to suppress case numbers but we still have to self isolate after being a "close contact"

It is a worst of all worlds situation. Either cases matter ro they don't. If they matter we must suppress, if they don't then fuck this self isolation nonsense.

With Edinburgh case numbers now dwarfing January what chance my daughters summer holiday activities going ahead uninterrupted/at all? Close to zero.
    At the start of this, many got angary when somebody sead this is like a bad flu.

Well that may have been an overstatement then, but its not now, its now like the flu, mostly it will be miled or asymptomatic, occasionally it will be bad, and in a few very rare cases it will lead to hospitalisation and even death.

COVIS with the vaccine is like the flu, and not even a particular bad flu.

We don't spend billions tying to do Zero-Flu We should treat it like the Flu, if you have it and you know you have it, stay home don't go to work or school, and don't visit you elderly parents, get a test if you want to.

But we can't indulge in this doubt fuelled, authoritarian situation any longer.

If you don't what the Jab, fine your chose but don't complain, if you what to where a mask, fine but don't make me.

Open everything Now!
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,731
    edited June 2021
    It says much about modern society that this had to be fact checked.
    https://newsmeter.in/fact-check/fact-check-is-heinz-mayoreo-real-or-fake-680039?infinitescroll=1

(And it may well be on the market for real within a couple of years.)
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

BigRich said:

See this thread.

Doesn’t printing a political leaflet without the correct label it come with a very large fine?
    nicole lampert
    @nicolelampert
    ·
    11m
    I’ve heard from friends campaigning in Batley that Labour activists are being actively intimidated and have even had eggs thrown at them. Our politics has been toxic for a while but this is still beyond awful.
    Does feel quite significant. Muslim communities are really turning on Labour.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Best free kick team would be Ward-Prowse on the left, Dybala on the right.

I did say on target not scored...but cool graphic. Does emphasize how infrequent people score. Makes you wonder if it is even worth it, rather than just to manipulate the ball.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,293

Gnud said:

Andy_JS said:

Does anyone agree?

Absolutely not!

"Authoritarian" is a word. What have you got against this measure? Telling us we mustn't visit our parents or go within 2 metres of each other is quite authoritarian too. Why's it absolutely wrong in all circumstances for the public authorities to limit the choices open to businesses on what payment methods they accept, who they sell to, how much they pay their employees, what hours they open, what they are allowed to sell, and so on? Allowing businesses to refuse to accept cash could lead to some kind of "-tarianism" that's even worse than "authori-".

I've run into quite a few people who are reluctant to distinguish between authoritarian/non-authoritarian and justified/unjustified, saying things like the lockdown can't be authoritarian because (emphasising every syllable) there's a pandemic.
    Of course telling people they can't see their family is authoritarian.

Some might want to argue that its right to be authoritarian because there's a pandemic, but to deny that it is a fundamental breach of our civil liberties is just not true.
    For me an "authoritarian" measure is one that infringes on people without sufficient justification. So it's by definition to be opposed. But maybe others use it differently.
  • Options

BigRich said:

stodge said:

BigRich said:

SAGE advice needs to now be reviewed by a more balanced team that includes economists. Cabinet needs to get a grip and stop allowing a tiny group of ministers to make all the decisions. imho we can't afford to carry on like this.
    That should have happed months ago, it didn't, it should have happened a couple of weeks ago it didn't, if we do it now it will take an age, we should just open now!
  • Options
    Johnson must reset his government and learn the lessons from Hancock's departure says FT:

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1409245971142393872/photo/1
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,897
    alex_ said:

Batley & Spen – the Standard reports police are investigating attacks on Labour activists.

Labour activists in the Batley and Spen by-election have been pelted with eggs and kicked in the head while on the campaign trail, the region’s mayor has said.
    https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/tracy-brabin-labour-batley-west-yorkshire-keir-starmer-b942884.html

alex_ said:

Carnyx said:

alex_ said:

How do you know it's his lot that are doing the acts spoken of? Could be the Tories or the Monster Raving Loonies for all one knows.
    I didn’t say it was his lot directly. But his campaigning creates the conditions for it to happen. It’s not a coincidence that trouble follows elections he’s involved in.
    I'm sure he'd say it is a complete coincidence.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,728
    Tres said:

That is the problem. They have no reporters, just a few talking heads spouting the same repetitive "anti-woke" diatribes.

It's not so much the technical glitches, or politics that makes it unwatchable, as the tedious repetitiveness.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Taking a direct shot though seems to have become almost a virility test.
    For Ronaldo definitely....you definitely know his manhood grows at the thought of being able to take that stance....
This discussion has been closed.