Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Boundary changes – the winners and losers – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    At the moment the rise in cases in England is largely being drive by what is happening in the North West - more than 40% of all cases over the past week were in this region.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-manchester-57400378
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,427

DavidL said:

maaarsh said:

kjh said:

maaarsh said:

22 positive tests in Wales
    0 deaths

The Drake’s No Fake

No one has died for 2 weeks and he still wants restrictions. He's a psychopath.
    I don't think that quite fits the definition of a psychopath! Over cautious maybe?
    It's a wanton lack of caution.

Spending £10bn on T-rex attack insurance is not cautious, it's insanity.
    It's worked pretty well so far. Not a single attack since we took it out!
    Try telling that to Jeff Goldblum and Richard Attenborough
    It was a cheap deal - so left out Spinosaurus protection.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,141

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:
    21 June simply ain't happening given the current figures.
    It should, but it won't.
    It shouldn't* but it will.

*based on what I expect hospitalization numbers to do... but this could turn out to be wrong.
    How high and how soon do you expect hospitalisation numbers to reach?
    I think we'll know by June 21st whether this is a good idea or not.
    So I'm happy for govt to wait to decide, although I have limited faith they will make an evidence-based decision.

As to how high hospitalizations will rise -> it obviously depends on whether govt changes course.
    But I think numbers of patients being admitted to hospital is likely to exceed 300/day by end of the month and that could be a big underestimate.
    300/day is an absolutely tiny figure though.

There are 1,200+ hospitals in the UK – so back of a fag packet maths, that's one admission every four days per hospital...
    At the moment.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    isam said:

The slowdown in vaccination is a BIG problem.

Calling journalists to do their effing job...

Could one reason be that it is becoming clearer that vaccination is not buying people freedom?

A year in lockdown and and two vaccinations later, you cannot travel abroad. At all. Not now and probably not this year.
    Are people getting vaccinated because they wanted freedom or because they didn’t want to get Covid do you reckon ?
    I think you probably have to age-segment the response to that. Older = Covid; younger = freedom.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    Wonder what the %s are on

i) Pro lockdown, pro vax
    ii) Anti lockdown, pro vax
    iii) Anti lockdown, antivax
    iv) Pro lockdown, antivax.

are

Group iv) Pro lockdown / antivax is a real niche where there'll be a handful of people.
    Group i) is the majority in the UK I think
    Group ii) - where I'd say most of PB is is ... underrepresented in general and certainly far quieter than either groups i) or iii). I think we're drowned out by the Lozza Foxes and the Drakefords from either side :/
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    edited June 2021
    DavidL said:

Could one reason be that it is becoming clearer that vaccination is not buying people freedom?

A year in lockdown and and two vaccinations later, you cannot travel abroad. At all. Not now and probably not this year.
    That is indeed contrarian @contrarian . To achieve freedom we need a very high level of vaccination and we are yet to achieve it.
    We will never achieve a very high level of vaccination unless we make it compulsory, 75% of UK adults have now had a first dose and half a second dose, if we do not reopen next month with most adults now vaccinated to at least some degree we will never fully reopen unless we make vaccination compulsory
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307

DavidL said:

maaarsh said:

kjh said:

maaarsh said:

22 positive tests in Wales
    0 deaths

The Drake’s No Fake

No one has died for 2 weeks and he still wants restrictions. He's a psychopath.
    I don't think that quite fits the definition of a psychopath! Over cautious maybe?
    It's a wanton lack of caution.

Spending £10bn on T-rex attack insurance is not cautious, it's insanity.
    It's worked pretty well so far. Not a single attack since we took it out!
    Try telling that to Jeff Goldblum and Richard Attenborough
    I am not completely convinced that those documentaries were entirely accurate. Definitely had a whiff of fake news about them.
  • Options
    Not sure Mr hakan ayik is going to be very popular with the criminal underworld....very convenient that Australian 60 mins did a special on him 2 days ago and handily exposed where he is, what name he goes under, who his family are....
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

That is indeed contrarian @contrarian . To achieve freedom we need a very high level of vaccination and we are yet to achieve it.
    We will never achieve a very high level of vaccination unless we make it compulsory, 75% of UK adults have now had a first dose and half a second dose, if we do not reopen next month with most adults now vaccinated to at least some degree we will never fully reopen unless we make vaccination compulsory
    80%+ (see Wales) is a high level of vaccination in terms of other vaccination campaigns.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Hoyle is a lightweight.

He’s already given up trying to stop Johnson lying.

At the end of the day, Overseas Aid is a form of regressive taxation imposed by the richer parts of society who tend to be the most vocal about it, on the poorest who prefer to spend the money at home but whose voices get drowned out by the calls of "what about the children?".

If rich people want to contribute more to funding overseas aid, then they should donate more aggressively to charities, via which they can also take advantage of Gift Aid.

They also do not help themselves by defending the target when there are clear examples of the UK diverting money towards countries that either do not need it (e.g. China) or spend it on frivolous projects such as space launches (e.g. India).
    During the whole Brexit comedy, I attended a city dinner.

In an attempt to divert the conversation from the inevitable, I introduced the tale of one of Cameron's aides, who asked why (as a philosophical question) he should care more about the welfare of a UK citizen than that of a someone in the poorer parts of the world.

An HAC officer at the table pointed out that he was on duty that weekend (some kind of TA exercise), had a large number of armed men under his command and was jolly interested in this idea of flexible allegiance.
    It's a perfectly valid question. Especially if put a different way.

Does a country whose wealth is based to a large degree on exploitation of other parts of the world have an obligation to help those parts of the world today?

Maybe yes, maybe no. It's a debate you can have. But it's hardly a no-brainer.
    Oh yes. But it was interesting to see the reaction of people to the idea that the flexibility of allegiance works both ways.

It is interesting how many apparently "liberal" people think that the social contract works like this -

1) The Government changes the contract. You'd better pray we don't change it further.
    2) The people just accept the above.

For example, some lawyers of my acquaintance were beyond horrified when, in response to their ideas that petty crime should not be prosecuted, I gave some examples of privatised law enforcement that occurred as a result.

IIRC some people here got quite upset at one example I gave - a hedge fund type reacted to the refusal of the police to er... police by hiring his own private plod to patrol his village.
    As is often the case, Malmesbury, I think I detect the outline of the point you're making here, but I couldn't swear to it. It's the way you tell em.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,311
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

AlistairM said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:
    Preposterous.

Current figures are almost infinitely better than the worst case scenario months ago.

There is no excuse to postpone 21 June. None whatsoever. Nothing, nada, zilch.
    As a country over the last year we have been taught to focus almost entirely on the number of daily cases as that was the earliest indication of problems that we would have had. Up until fairly recently that was still the case.

With such large numbers having been vaccinated and all the data indicating that those with even single jabs have much reduced severity, cases are no longer the early warning sign that they once were.

However I have several contacts on Facebook plotting charts of case numbers in various areas going up and the bedwetting that comes with it. They are very keen to use case numbers as their evidence but don't seem to ever look at hospitalisations or deaths. Deaths are still miniscule compared to other causes and hospitalisations are only going up very slightly. Given we are doing millions of extra jabs every week the situation is only going to get better.

I see no evidence that we are going to be swamped by hospitalisations.

I see no reason given this to delay 21st June. However, the government will be under increasing pressure to delay due to the rise in cases. If they do so it will be like imposing restrictions due to an increase in flu cases.
    Clapped on by the country. And many on here.

What's that? We all want to open up? But we have applauded every restrictive measure the government has introduced to date. The government has accepted your authority to do what it wants now and the fact that the PB Govt Covid fans have changed their minds means not a jot to them. They will likely delay full opening and perhaps the next time a government embarks upon this path there will be more questioning along the way.
    You may be right, but why has it turned out differently in most Western democracies? They had similar legal restrictions imposed, but seem more willing to get back to normal, despite us having the vaccination advantage. Why?
    No idea but the opinion polls are one indicator.

As evidenced on here, and as @Mortimer points out, every new restriction has been met by increased popularity and incidence of curtain twitching and ridiculing those who want to leave their own country.

Look at the polls today. We are lapping this shit up.
    I suspect furlough is making it too easy, but also the media and the likes of independent sage have followed the zero covid mantra scaring the public and even yesterday, saying it has be eliminated before lockdown is eased.

I have no idea how Boris squares this but he is PM and he has the call to make

I do not envy him
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,719
    Pulpstar said:

i) Pro lockdown, pro vax

are

Group iv) Pro lockdown / antivax is a real niche where there'll be a handful of people.
    Group ii) - where I'd say most of PB is is ... underrepresented in general and certainly far quieter than either groups i) or iii). I think we're drowned out by the Lozza Foxes and the Drakefords from either side :/

I'm ii) - and so is Fox isn't he?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

AlistairM said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:
    Preposterous.

Current figures are almost infinitely better than the worst case scenario months ago.

As a country over the last year we have been taught to focus almost entirely on the number of daily cases as that was the earliest indication of problems that we would have had. Up until fairly recently that was still the case.

With such large numbers having been vaccinated and all the data indicating that those with even single jabs have much reduced severity, cases are no longer the early warning sign that they once were.

However I have several contacts on Facebook plotting charts of case numbers in various areas going up and the bedwetting that comes with it. They are very keen to use case numbers as their evidence but don't seem to ever look at hospitalisations or deaths. Deaths are still miniscule compared to other causes and hospitalisations are only going up very slightly. Given we are doing millions of extra jabs every week the situation is only going to get better.

I see no reason given this to delay 21st June. However, the government will be under increasing pressure to delay due to the rise in cases. If they do so it will be like imposing restrictions due to an increase in flu cases.

What's that? We all want to open up? But we have applauded every restrictive measure the government has introduced to date. The government has accepted your authority to do what it wants now and the fact that the PB Govt Covid fans have changed their minds means not a jot to them. They will likely delay full opening and perhaps the next time a government embarks upon this path there will be more questioning along the way.
    You may be right, but why has it turned out differently in most Western democracies? They had similar legal restrictions imposed, but seem more willing to get back to normal, despite us having the vaccination advantage. Why?

As evidenced on here, and as @Mortimer points out, every new restriction has been met by increased popularity and incidence of curtain twitching and ridiculing those who want to leave their own country.

The freedom-loving French are going to beat us out of this thing aren't they? Boozy yacht parties on the the Cote while we are still shuffling around Sainsbury's wine aisle in masks.
    If the markets get wind of the fact the UK isn't serious about unlocking when other countries are going back to normality, the effect could be horrendous. Sterling and Gilts beware.

Don't think we are too big or to clever to get burned here. Don't fall for all the 'mighty power of the UK treasury' bullsh*t.

We are f8cking vulnerable and getting more vulnerable by the week. If you think coronavirus is bad, just wait til you see what bankruptcy and penury do.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,311
    edited June 2021
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

AlistairM said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:
    Preposterous.

Wrong, today was the day the polls on reopening turned.

51% of voters overall and 55% of Tories want to end the rule of 6 for meeting inside on June 21st and voters by 46% to 42% want to end the 30 limit for wedding guests on June 21st too (including 52% of Tory voters wanting to end restrictions on weddings)

https://docs.cdn.yougov.com/xoc1ldh9zg/TheTimes_Reopening_210603.pdf
    No me old mucker. You, king of the polls, have it wrong. Yes to those two measures (by a whisker).

Otherwise:

Masks in shops and public transport: 71% should remain in place longer
    Social Distancing in pubs and restaurants: 61% should remain in place longer
    Work from home: 56% should remain in place longer
    Limits on big sporting/entertainment events: 55% should remain in place longer
  • Options
    maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,391

At the moment the rise in cases in England is largely being drive by what is happening in the North West - more than 40% of all cases over the past week were in this region.

And the North West rise seems to be about spreading to different areas rather than a genuine exponential rise in specific places - i.e. Bolton flattened out pretty quick.

Once it reaches any given community there is far less scope for it to grow before it runs out of hosts. Makes all the modelling of doubling times feel a bit redundant as the real question is where does it just plateau - if Bolton is representative, there's no big wave coming.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

i) Pro lockdown, pro vax

are

Doesn't look like it to me

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/laurence-fox-mayor-reclaim-party-covid-b1824425.html

A confirmed vaccine sceptic, Mr Fox also said on Tuesday that he would refuse to get the Covid jab until after 2023 – when he claims all the tests needed to convince him of its safety would be completed.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    HYUFD said:

DavidL said:

Or give freedom rewards to the vaccinated. Like they do in China.

Rewards for the compliant. Penalties for the non-compliant.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    At the last GE the big two got 567 seats between them, Paddy Power have the current combined line at 535. Is that a bad price or is it because there might be fewer seats in total?

• Options
    DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

AlistairM said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:
    Preposterous.

Precisely. There's about 100 vaccinations happening for every infection - the country is simply running out of people who can get sick and die from infection faster than the virus can spread.

If any infections are happening due to people refusing the vaccine then they've made their choice freely and it should be accepted.
    The Government has accepted that one dose is not very effective against the, now dominant, Delta variant. They hope to have all people in JCVI 1-9 double dosed by 21 June. It takes 2 weeks for the increased dosing to become effective and then another two weeks for the data to be looked at. There is no reason for Johnson to take the risk of opening up on 21 June. He won't, he's got the G7 this weekend and will be preoccupied by that, he's likely already made the decision.
    Looks like you've called this right, Doug. I'm loath to argue with a 1.02 price.

But do you think they'll delay the whole thing or just some things?
    I think they'll put the whole thing back to avoid mixed messaging.
    Ok thanks. In which case - even if it's a short delay - I'll have rather misread this one.

Soon find out!
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,355

419,009 vaccinations in 🇬🇧 yesterday

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 89,639 1st doses / 244,107 2nd doses
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 17,545 / 30,944
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 1,972 / 21,338
    NI 3,785 / 9,679

Not good enough. Look how few first doses....something really isn't right behind the scenes.

They were doing jabs in Midhurst long after 5pm on Sunday.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Hoyle is a lightweight.

At the end of the day, Overseas Aid is a form of regressive taxation imposed by the richer parts of society who tend to be the most vocal about it, on the poorest who prefer to spend the money at home but whose voices get drowned out by the calls of "what about the children?".

If rich people want to contribute more to funding overseas aid, then they should donate more aggressively to charities, via which they can also take advantage of Gift Aid.

They also do not help themselves by defending the target when there are clear examples of the UK diverting money towards countries that either do not need it (e.g. China) or spend it on frivolous projects such as space launches (e.g. India).

In an attempt to divert the conversation from the inevitable, I introduced the tale of one of Cameron's aides, who asked why (as a philosophical question) he should care more about the welfare of a UK citizen than that of a someone in the poorer parts of the world.

An HAC officer at the table pointed out that he was on duty that weekend (some kind of TA exercise), had a large number of armed men under his command and was jolly interested in this idea of flexible allegiance.

Does a country whose wealth is based to a large degree on exploitation of other parts of the world have an obligation to help those parts of the world today?

Oh yes. But it was interesting to see the reaction of people to the idea that the flexibility of allegiance works both ways.

It is interesting how many apparently "liberal" people think that the social contract works like this -

1) The Government changes the contract. You'd better pray we don't change it further.

For example, some lawyers of my acquaintance were beyond horrified when, in response to their ideas that petty crime should not be prosecuted, I gave some examples of privatised law enforcement that occurred as a result.

IIRC some people here got quite upset at one example I gave - a hedge fund type reacted to the refusal of the police to er... police by hiring his own private plod to patrol his village.
    As is often the case, Malmesbury, I think I detect the outline of the point you're making here, but I couldn't swear to it. It's the way you tell em.
    It's pretty simple. A number of people think that governing consists of them telling The Head Count what to do.

Then they are surprised when The Head Count say no, we don't like that. And we are going to do our own thing.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    edited June 2021
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

AlistairM said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:
    Preposterous.

The freedom-loving French are going to beat us out of this thing aren't they? Boozy yacht parties on the the Cote while we are still shuffling around Sainsbury's wine aisle in masks.
    Oh how we laughed at the Europeans with their gallic/germanic ways and sensible approach to the freedom of their citizens.
    I suspect that will be the turning point. If we get to that point.

Pandemic? Restrictions? Most people don't have a clue what's needed/proportionate/appropriate, nor understand (unless in hospitality industry - and even then, probably only if running the business) the costs. So they generally assume that the government, 'following the science' will do roughly the right thing.

But if Johnny Foreigner starts cavorting with all sorts in the street - or indeed in the home - while having had fewer vaccinations than us and with no apparent ill effects? Then I think people will, in general, start asking questions. At least, I hope so. It will make great newspaper front pages, comparing what the French are up to with what we're allowed to do.

Or, indeed, it could happen before if the media turn or Labour (or even, god help us, the Lib Dems) start asking serious questions. Do the opposition even have a position on 21 June? Do the LDs?

Having said all that, I do think there's more upside than downside for Johnson in sticking with 21 June and I do expect that still to - at least more or less - happen. A few restrictions maybe (keeping masks in some settings) or possibly a two week delay to check the numbers some more. But if it's not sorted come the summer holidays when people want to get out and do things and travel and see people then people are going to get pissed and while I think Johnson is not a very good leader, I don't believe him to be stupid.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,307
    edited June 2021
    Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

i) Pro lockdown, pro vax

are

I am (ii) as well but I would be much more confidently so if we had managed to do another 6-7m vaccinations in the last 3 weeks.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    isam said:

At the last GE the big two got 567 seats between them, Paddy Power have the current combined line at 535. Is that a bad price or is it because there might be fewer seats in total?

Here’s why… Lib Dem line 40.5 Currently 12

Isn’t this a huuuuuuge unders play?

• Options

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 17,545 / 30,944
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 1,972 / 21,338
    NI 3,785 / 9,679

Not good enough. Look how few first doses....something really isn't right behind the scenes.

Which will show up in tomorrow's figures probably - I (and some others) think the reporting lag on vaccinations is 2 days.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

AlistairM said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:
    Preposterous.

51% of voters overall and 55% of Tories want to end the rule of 6 for meeting inside on June 21st and voters by 46% to 42% want to end the 30 limit for wedding guests on June 21st too (including 52% of Tory voters wanting to end restrictions on weddings)

No me old mucker. You, king of the polls, have it wrong. Yes to those two measures (by a whisker).

Otherwise:

Masks in shops and public transport largely irrelevant, some social distancing too once the limit of indoor meeting is removed not much difference.

Some capacity limits on crowds at big events would also not make much difference either and most people will keep WFH if they work in an office for a few days a week indefinitely.

It is ending the 6 limit on people indoors and ending the limit on wedding guests that are the key changes most people want and that will make a real noticeable difference to their lives
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

i) Pro lockdown, pro vax

are

I think PB is mainly (i) not (ii).

It's only moving to (ii) as regards this 21st June decision.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

AlistairM said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:
    Preposterous.

Precisely. There's about 100 vaccinations happening for every infection - the country is simply running out of people who can get sick and die from infection faster than the virus can spread.

If any infections are happening due to people refusing the vaccine then they've made their choice freely and it should be accepted.
    The Government has accepted that one dose is not very effective against the, now dominant, Delta variant. They hope to have all people in JCVI 1-9 double dosed by 21 June. It takes 2 weeks for the increased dosing to become effective and then another two weeks for the data to be looked at. There is no reason for Johnson to take the risk of opening up on 21 June. He won't, he's got the G7 this weekend and will be preoccupied by that, he's likely already made the decision.
    Looks like you've called this right, Doug. I'm loath to argue with a 1.02 price.

Ok thanks. In which case - even if it's a short delay - I'll have rather misread this one.

Soon find out!
    Do you feel that this would threaten your super-forecaster status?
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Hoyle is a lightweight.

It's pretty simple. A number of people think that governing consists of them telling The Head Count what to do.

Then they are surprised when The Head Count say no, we don't like that. And we are going to do our own thing.
    Ok, final step - who is The Head Count?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

i) Pro lockdown, pro vax

are

Yes, I think you are right. I've certainly felt in the minority on here. A sort of @contrarian lite - which is worst than being contrarian full-fat, I fear.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Hoyle is a lightweight.

In philosophical terms, it's a part of the social contract. If I expect a specific group of people to obey the laws which I pass, and to pay the taxes which I levy, then I owe it to them to prioritise their interests, rather than the interests of humanity in general.

Another way of looking at it is that being a leader of a country is like being a trustee. A trustee owes duties to his beneficiaries, not to the world in general.

If I wish to promote the interests of humanity in general, I can always join an NGO.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

i) Pro lockdown, pro vax

are

PB is moving as per the vaccination (Even if it's a little slow right now) schedule.
    June 21st is the summer solstice; the second day of my forties. A time to go forth into the world unburdened by restrictions. The right time.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Hoyle is a lightweight.

Ok, final step - who is The Head Count?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capite_censi

The ones *below* proletarii

They had absolutely no political rights.
  • Options
    londonpubmanlondonpubman Posts: 3,196
    isam said:

isam said:

More chance of 21 June happening EARLY than LDs getting 40+ at the next GE!
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    Apparently, there were 582 excess deaths in the home in the most recent week reported.
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 17,545 / 30,944
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 1,972 / 21,338
    NI 3,785 / 9,679

Which will show up in tomorrow's figures probably - I (and some others) think the reporting lag on vaccinations is 2 days.
    Personally I think it is about 1.5 days, but definitely not just 1 day.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

i) Pro lockdown, pro vax

are

Yes, I think you are right. I've certainly felt in the minority on here. A sort of @contrarian lite - which is worst than being contrarian full-fat, I fear.
    It's a definite diet coke option. Neither Drakeford's best bottled Pembrokeshire spring water nor Lozza Fox's full fat corn syrup coke.
  • Options
    SelebianSelebian Posts: 7,442
    Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

Pulpstar said:

i) Pro lockdown, pro vax

are

Doesn't look like it to me

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/laurence-fox-mayor-reclaim-party-covid-b1824425.html

A confirmed vaccine sceptic, Mr Fox also said on Tuesday that he would refuse to get the Covid jab until after 2023 – when he claims all the tests needed to convince him of its safety would be completed.
    That's interesting/odd. There's always an argument that there could be rare complications not picked up in trials (e.g. the clotting, probably, if eventually conclusively linked). But once you've jabbed a few million you can be pretty sure you've caught most of those. Also arguable if not many in your demographis have been jabbed - e.g. 30s at the moment (although a fair few in health services etc). But 2023 - the only argument for that is for long term side effects - but why would you be bothered about long term side effects that manifest in 2 years, but not those that might take 5, 10 years to manifest?

There's also the point that, by 2023, with the high vaccination levels we look likely to achieve here, the risks from Covid will likely be so low that there may be higher risks from having a needle of saline stabbed into your arm!

More likely 2023 is just another way of saying never while trying not to say that directly. Who is going to ask him in 2023 whether he got a jab in the end?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,898
    Someone needs to tell M. Macron that you’re not supposed to shake hands with totally random people in public, but people whom your people know, and have been vetted beforehand!
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 17,545 / 30,944
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 1,972 / 21,338
    NI 3,785 / 9,679

It is second doses that are the key to beat the Indian variant, first doses only make a minor difference, the vast majority of over 30s have now had their first dose already
    That isn't true. First doses don't just make a "minor" difference, they make a huge difference. Effectiveness is only slightly reduced against Indian variant and Pfizer / Moderna have very high rates 3 weeks after 1st dose.
    First doses only provide less than 50% protection against the Indian variant, second doses provide well over 50% protection against the Indian variant.

However as I said unless we make double vaccinations compulsory we will never get 100% vaccination and in which case we may never unlock fully if you are not prepared to accept any cases at any time
    I think you should stop making outlandish claims about efficacy for AZN or other vaccines when there has not been sufficient time to measure it. Even with a single dose it could be more effective than you calim both for infection and for hospitalisation/death. You are making definitive statements about a matter which is still very fluid. It amounts to 'fake news'. It matters little when you do this wrt polling but Covid is really much too serious for this sort of thing.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,682
    A cruise ship carrying only UK passengers on a tour of the British Isles has been barred from docking in Greenock with just days’ notice, travel agents said today.....

It said three quarters of passengers on board or due to board have received both their Covid vaccines and been triple tested, and the crew vaccinated and tested.

SPAA president Joanne Dooey said: “We’re now facing the situation where Scottish passengers who joined the cruise in Liverpool are barred from setting foot in their own country.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/uk-only-cruise-ship-msc-virtuosa-barred-from-docking-in-greenock-3265549
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    isam said:

isam said:

SSHHHH been nibbling at this price for weeks - the odd twenty here , twenty there - probably will be cut now
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

“Bollocks to ‘Bollocks to Brexit’” could be a winning line!
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    maaarsh said:

And the North West rise seems to be about spreading to different areas rather than a genuine exponential rise in specific places - i.e. Bolton flattened out pretty quick.

Once it reaches any given community there is far less scope for it to grow before it runs out of hosts. Makes all the modelling of doubling times feel a bit redundant as the real question is where does it just plateau - if Bolton is representative, there's no big wave coming.
    Oh, do learn some critical thinking. This isn't about a virus. The UK government labelled COVID-19 as not a 'high-consequence infectious disease' in March 2020 but proceeded to run an ad. campaign to terrify those without the ability to ask questions, e.g.

1) where are the bodies? ONS says 2020 was the worst year for deaths (age- & population-adjusted) since ...2008; most EU countries & Norway had less than that.
    2) are undertakers booming? er, no.
    3) why hire a modeller who got three predictions wrong and now a 4th., i.e. spring 2020 and doesn't know about seasonality or T cells? search me.

'Zero COVID' is better called totalitarianism ... https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-9433867/PROFESSOR-ROBERT-DINGWALL-says-resist-biosecurity-state.html

But I'm sure the Communists on SAGE or NERVTAG will be delighted.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561
    edited June 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Pulpstar said:

i) Pro lockdown, pro vax

are

It's a definite diet coke option. Neither Drakeford's best bottled Pembrokeshire spring water nor Lozza Fox's full fat corn syrup coke.
    The lockdown groups aren't constant or well-defined, though. For example, I opposed the first lockdown because it would obviously just delay deaths at huge cost, but I supported the third one reluctantly because were vaccines being rolled out, so delay made sense.

And there are many different types and severities of lockdown. Even in the third lockdown, for instance, I thought closing schools and outdoor gyms was stupid.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249
    Maybe this has been commented on here and I have missed it, but looking at social media, Labour running a 'Vote Kim' campaign for Batley+Spen.

Vote Kim stickers. The leaflet is not standard lab colours, its a pinky colour. etc.

See, for example:

https://twitter.com/kimleadbeater/status/1401631523309338634/photo/3

All seems a good idea in current circumstances. Will it be enough to focus on her as a local personality?

I'm on at ≈ 2.8 and i notice the price is now out at 3.6

That seems long to me.

• Options
    edited June 2021
    felix said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿 17,545 / 30,944
    🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 1,972 / 21,338
    NI 3,785 / 9,679

It is second doses that are the key to beat the Indian variant, first doses only make a minor difference, the vast majority of over 30s have now had their first dose already
    That isn't true. First doses don't just make a "minor" difference, they make a huge difference. Effectiveness is only slightly reduced against Indian variant and Pfizer / Moderna have very high rates 3 weeks after 1st dose.
    First doses only provide less than 50% protection against the Indian variant, second doses provide well over 50% protection against the Indian variant.

However as I said unless we make double vaccinations compulsory we will never get 100% vaccination and in which case we may never unlock fully if you are not prepared to accept any cases at any time
    I think you should stop making outlandish claims about efficacy for AZN or other vaccines when there has not been sufficient time to measure it. Even with a single dose it could be more effective than you calim both for infection and for hospitalisation/death. You are making definitive statements about a matter which is still very fluid. It amounts to 'fake news'. It matters little when you do this wrt polling but Covid is really much too serious for this sort of thing.
    Well if it turns out single doses are more effective than we thought, then even more reason to reopen on 21st June given 75% of UK adults have now received at least a single dose of the vaccine
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

I'm searching on Hills but can't find the market.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    I know its not political betting despite the Fa and Southgates best efforts with the knee thing but who do we think is a good punt for the Euros ? Germany at 9/1 and (as an outsider ) Turkey at 66/1 for me - Turkey seem a big price to beat Italy in the opening game at 7/1 with Billies.For those who dabble on the spreads selling 91 group stage goals with sporting index seems pretty risk free to me
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Paddy
  • Options

A cruise ship carrying only UK passengers on a tour of the British Isles has been barred from docking in Greenock with just days’ notice, travel agents said today.....

It said three quarters of passengers on board or due to board have received both their Covid vaccines and been triple tested, and the crew vaccinated and tested.

SPAA president Joanne Dooey said: “We’re now facing the situation where Scottish passengers who joined the cruise in Liverpool are barred from setting foot in their own country.

https://www.scotsman.com/news/transport/uk-only-cruise-ship-msc-virtuosa-barred-from-docking-in-greenock-3265549

Scotland seem determined to say that English visitors are not welcome. Not sure what the Scottish tourist industry has to say about that, especially when the furlough scheme ends.

Great news for Lake District landladies though! :)
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,886
    First doses definitely picking up, just been given the call myself for next Wednesday.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Chameleon said:

First doses definitely picking up, just been given the call myself for next Wednesday.

I was expecting this week to be massive due to people deferring jabs from school hols to this week.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Scotland seem determined to say that English visitors are not welcome. Not sure what the Scottish tourist industry has to say about that, especially when the furlough scheme ends.

It's nuts. The tours are all controlled - you can't just get off the ship and go for a wander - its tour buses or nothing. Meanwhile you can drive from Southampton to Greenock with no jabs and no tests - while the cruise ship pax have all had 3 tests and the majority 2 jabs.....
  • Options
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Paddy
    It's "updating odds"... through oddschecker and can't see on the main site either.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Stocky said:

Chameleon said:

I was expecting this week to be massive due to people deferring jabs from school hols to this week.
    It probably will be. Worth noting that tomorrow's figures are effectively the start of this week due to the way the data lags its always Wednesday that has the first big figures.

Plus half-term may still be going on for many people? Our kids have two inset days and are going back to school tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Sandpit said:

It's nuts. The tours are all controlled - you can't just get off the ship and go for a wander - its tour buses or nothing. Meanwhile you can drive from Southampton to Greenock with no jabs and no tests - while the cruise ship pax have all had 3 tests and the majority 2 jabs.....
    It's worse than nuts, it's shocking that devolution is being used in this way.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Paddy
    It's "updating odds"... through oddschecker and can't see on the main site either.
    I just saw it on OC haven’t backed it myself. Maybe it was still up from last GE and might not be a real price?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Sandpit said:

It's worse than nuts, it's shocking that devolution is being used in this way.
    Is it that shocking?

Its how Australia have handled the pandemic, good luck going from Melbourne to Sydney if there's any cases in Melbourne. And Sturgeon seems more in the grasp of Zero Covidians.
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Chameleon said:

I must admit I would have though I'd have my second one by now..
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567
    edited June 2021

Getting back to normal :wink:
  • Options

Chameleon said:

If your second is in England and more than 8 weeks from your first, you can reschedule it easily online.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    DougSeal said:

kinabalu said:

DougSeal said:

AlistairM said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:
    Preposterous.

snip.

Well that would be utterly absurd. Not to mention completely disastrous for the thousands of brides who have weddings booked from late June – and were promised a decision on 24 MAY.
  • Options
    The posters @DavidL mentioned seeing earlier on the Royal Mile, Edinburgh:

https://twitter.com/mspliz/status/1402164760087515136?s=20
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Chameleon said:

I had precisely a 3 week gap from first to second 23 April 68.2% (1sts) / 14th May 46.7% (2nds) local area vax %s. My other half will be 3 weeks since 1st in 2 days and hasn't been reinvited yet - we're at 60% seconds here now, she was at 73.1% firsts.

Might be a bit of an mRNA slowdown...

• Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704

Chameleon said:

If your second is in England and more than 8 weeks from your first, you can reschedule it easily online.
    I think I'm at about 6 weeks now.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:
    It should, but it won't.

*based on what I expect hospitalization numbers to do... but this could turn out to be wrong.
    So I'm happy for govt to wait to decide, although I have limited faith they will make an evidence-based decision.

As to how high hospitalizations will rise -> it obviously depends on whether govt changes course.
    But I think numbers of patients being admitted to hospital is likely to exceed 300/day by end of the month and that could be a big underestimate.

There are 1,200+ hospitals in the UK – so back of a fag packet maths, that's one admission every four days per hospital...
    At the moment.
    The forecast was for 300/day by the end of the month! Do you think we should remain locked down forever lest something bad happens at an undefined point in the future?
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Chameleon said:

I thought it was only over 50s and those that were vulnerable that the government guaranteed this to.

Mine is scheduled for 10 weeks from my first, I am in two minds to see if I can wing an earlier one.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,121
    Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Hoyle is a lightweight.

In philosophical terms, it's a part of the social contract. If I expect a specific group of people to obey the laws which I pass, and to pay the taxes which I levy, then I owe it to them to prioritise their interests, rather than the interests of humanity in general.

Another way of looking at it is that being a leader of a country is like being a trustee. A trustee owes duties to his beneficiaries, not to the world in general.

If I wish to promote the interests of humanity in general, I can always join an NGO.
    Yes I think the answer to the question must be different for someone who asks people to vote for them or who is employed at the taxpayer's expense. As someone who is neither of those things I can say that there are many non-British people whose welfare I care about more than that of many British people. I don't think that should be a particularly controversial view.
  • Options
    GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 20,856
    edited June 2021
    I get the impression from my European colleagues that basically covid is over.

In fact, they think we are still riddled with it via the “Indian variant” and express pity, concern etc.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

AZ or Pfizer ?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    20 May 2021 - For people in cohorts 10 onwards, the agreed dose interval period remains as previously, at 77-84 days (11-12 weeks) as outlined in the Chief Medical Officer’s letter.

https://www.england.nhs.uk/coronavirus/wp-content/uploads/sites/52/2021/03/C1254-covid-19-vaccination-programme-faqs-on-second-dose-v2.pdf
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

i) Pro lockdown, pro vax

are

HYUFD has pointed out that full-fat lockdownism is falling out of fashion – look at the stats in today's poll re: weddings and rule of six...
  • Options

Chameleon said:

Then you should be able to book your second jab for 2 weeks from now, which is when I'm having mine after using this site: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-vaccination/book-coronavirus-vaccination/
  • Options
    I am quite annoyed - though it doesn’t affect me - by Drake’s continuation of Welsh restrictions.

I know the Welsh economy is largely govt subsidy anyway so perhaps he doesn’t need to care about the actual economy.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

In fact, they think we are still riddled with it via the “Indian variant” and express pity, concern etc.

That can’t be right. I think you’ll find that they are in awe of our brilliant vaccination campaign and wishes they were lucky enough to be British.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

I thought it was only over 50s and those that were vulnerable that the government guaranteed this to.

Mine is scheduled for 10 weeks from my first, I am in two minds to see if I can wing an earlier one.
    I'm 38 and booked mine 8 weeks to the day after the first. Everyone else I know that's used the site has been able to do the same.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

DougSeal said:

rkrkrk said:

rkrkrk said:

Pulpstar said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:
    It should, but it won't.

At the moment.
    The forecast was for 300/day by the end of the month! Do you think we should remain locked down forever lest something bad happens at an undefined point in the future?
    It does seem a bit like the goalposts have moved. We locked down last Spring to save the NHS from being stampeded. Not to be unkind, but 125k of the most vulnerable have already died, and we have vaccinated the remaining vulnerable. It does seem like it’s crazy to keep restrictions

I guess ‘we aren’t locked down as we were last Spring’ would be the counter argument.

Personally, as my gf Is preggers and not up for the vaccine until the baby is born, I’m having to still be careful anyway, so not that bothered. But does seem a bit too cautious
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

Are they not able to look at case rate figures?
  • Options

Chameleon said:

I'm 38 and booked mine 8 weeks to the day after the first. Everyone else I know that's used the site has been able to do the same.
    Mine's 12 weeks later to the day, and given the remaining roll out is tied to constrained supplies of Pfizer I have very little expectation it will come forward. Once all 40+ have had their 2nd dose the Az supplies become pretty worthless and we're going to slow down quite severely.
  • Options

That can’t be right. I think you’ll find that they are in awe of our brilliant vaccination campaign and wishes they were lucky enough to be British.
    They've basically caught up with where we were at the beginning of March.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

My only concern is I had Moderna, no idea what the stocks are like of it. When I originally got it, the closest place I could get my 2nd dose was 90 mins away.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

My only concern is I had Moderna, no idea what the stocks are like of it. When I originally got it, the closest place I could get my 2nd dose was 90 mins away.
    Have you tried (re-)booking your second on the website?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,071

That shows the power of propaganda.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

AlistairM said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:
    Preposterous.

Otherwise:

Masks in shops and public transport largely irrelevant, some social distancing too once the limit of indoor meeting is removed not much difference.

Some capacity limits on crowds at big events would also not make much difference either and most people will keep WFH if they work in an office for a few days a week indefinitely.

It is ending the 6 limit on people indoors and ending the limit on wedding guests that are the key changes most people want and that will make a real noticeable difference to their lives
    Yes. I keep saying it – failing to lift the restrictions on weddings on 21 June is a very ugly, emotionally fraught, disaster waiting to happen. Brides in tears nationwide with massive holes in their bank accounts through unreturnable deposits and simply no prospect of getting another date this summer as everything is block-booked.

And on this, the government and its craven supporters have simply no defence: they promised brides a decision on 24 May and temporised. It is a gathering storm of epic – and very media-friendly – proportions.
  • Options
    edited June 2021

Chameleon said:

You have to cancel first before you can even see availability....which is annoying.

I don't really want to cancel and then find oh yes you can have it a week earlier if I drive 3hrs.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

AlistairM said:

DougSeal said:

Andy_JS said:
    Preposterous.

I suspect furlough is making it too easy, but also the media and the likes of independent sage have followed the zero covid mantra scaring the public and even yesterday, saying it has be eliminated before lockdown is eased.

I have no idea how Boris squares this but he is PM and he has the call to make

I do not envy him
    Judging the end of the furlough scheme is going to be a nightmare - there’s two million people still on it, and they all can’t be in the travel industry.

Some will be cleaners, caterers and retail workers in City centres - many of whom may not even be living in the U.K. at the moment.

Some will be at airlines, holiday reps, event workers etc, who will slowly find themselves back at work over the summer.

It’s clear that there’s a huge staff shortage in hospitality, government need to find a way to encourage people on furlough to quit and take a new job in the shortage areas.

The general emergency furlough scheme can’t really be replaced by an industry-specific one, without accusations of state aid, but at some point it has to finish and the recipients transferred to the considerably less generous UC.

There’s also a devolution aspect, with Scotland and Wales determined to keep restrictions in place for longer. Does the PM actively want to pick a fight with the First Ministers in Scotland and Wales, or will they try and blame the evil Englishman for unemployment? (Both can be true).
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

They've basically caught up with where we were at the beginning of March.
    They're at 65 doses per 100 people (on average) which is where we were at the end of March, beginning of April. That being said, because they are (now) basically all Pfizer-BioNTech/Moderna they are probably a couple of weeks further on as far as protection.
  • Options

Stocky said:

Chameleon said:

It probably will be. Worth noting that tomorrow's figures are effectively the start of this week due to the way the data lags its always Wednesday that has the first big figures.

Plus half-term may still be going on for many people? Our kids have two inset days and are going back to school tomorrow.
    That's a fair point actually – half-term lag might well be a thing. We'll see.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    RobD said:

They’re not reading the figures.
    They’re just responding to:

A - the opening up they see locally
    B - their own interaction with vaccines
    C - the scary stuff on the news about the U.K.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,567

That shows the power of propaganda.
    Cases are ticking back up - very gently - in 5 or 6 countries on the European mainland.

In the UK they have ticked down gently in the last 2-3 days.

Just straws in the wind. Maybe.
  • Options

Chameleon said:

You have to cancel first before you can even see availability....which is annoying.
    Bassetlaw is completely outside the national system, you get a message to your phone inviting you for a jab then book through the GP's own health portal - like the Scottish system but with a text instead of a letter. I think it's led to efficiency and a quicker rollout than average.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

RobD said:

So uninformed nonsense then?
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Pulpstar said:

Chameleon said:

Bassetlaw is completely outside the national system, you get a message to your phone inviting you for a jab then book through the GP's own health portal - like the Scottish system but with a text instead of a letter. I think it's led to efficiency and a quicker rollout than average.
    Most places have that as well...its not an either / or. The national system is additional and more flexible option to the GP led ones.

But if you book via the national system, you need to then do you second dose via it.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

Hoyle is a lightweight.

But even leaving aside an imperialist past prioritizing domestic interests doesn't map to no obligation to poorer parts of the world. Eg if it's a choice between providing clean water for somewhere dirt poor or (same price) a 2nd weekly bin collection in Tory marginals, this is for me at the very least a toughie.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    I remember last year on here being told that 'nobody' liked lockdown and restrictions. I think over the next month or so any remaining doubt will cease that there absolutely are people, some in positions of influence, who really don't want this to end.

Their views won't be expressed in that form, but we'll be a long way past the point of rational disagreement with ending lockdown before everyone will accept we can move on.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

So uninformed nonsense then?
    I never said it was informed.

I shared it because it’s interesting (and annoying) that they are basically “over covid” whereas in this country many still seem wedded to indefinite forms of lockdown.

I do feel we are squandering out vax success regarding opening up.
  • Options

Which they probably already have but won't know because with a few notable exceptions are barely doing any sequencing....
This discussion has been closed.