Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Boundary changes – the winners and losers – politicalbetting.com

SystemSystem Posts: 11,017
edited June 2021 in General
imageThe Boundary changes – the winners and losers – politicalbetting.com

No doubt everybody will be looking first for their own seats and the chart above shows the changes by region.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    test
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    In Berkshire, Hampshire, and Surrey, it has been necessary to propose two constituencies that cross county boundaries. We have proposed one constituency that contains electors from both Berkshire and Surrey, which combines the town of Windsor and the town of Egham. We have also proposed one constituency that contains electors from both Surrey and Hampshire, which combines the town of Bordon from the district of East Hampshire in a constituency with the towns of Farnham and Haslemere in Surrey’s Borough of Waverley.

In Sussex, it has been necessary to propose one constituency that crosses the boundary between East Sussex and West Sussex. We have proposed that this constituency contain electors from three districts (Lewes, Mid Sussex, and Wealden), combining the towns of East Grinstead and Uckfield.

I predict a riot.
  • Options
    swing_voterswing_voter Posts: 1,435
    Most voters arent even sure which constituency they live in nor who is their MP....a real one for the spotters here. I would imagine some glimmers for Cons and LDs in the SW/SE and for Labour in London.... without revisiting it too much, I cant help but wonder on what the next GE will be fought on - voting patterns of 2017/9 were so distinct that 2023/4 will be really hard to tell even if COVId is a memory
  • Options
    Woking is reducing in size by around 4,000 voters, losing the Pirbright and Normandy parts of the constituency. It should still be a Tory seat on the 2019 result, but it would reduce the Tory share of the vote.

There’s also a big change for Guildford as it exchanges its rural part to the south for part of what was the Mole Valley constituency.
  • Options
    I reckon Swindon South could be a gain for Labour.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962
    tlg86 said:

What are the changes there? That had a 7k Con majority in the last election.
  • Options
    "The electorate of Devon is such that it would be difficult to allocate a whole number of constituencies to the county without significant disruption to local ties. We therefore propose that the county be grouped with another county. However, we do not consider that this should be with Cornwall, given the strength of feeling against a constituency spanning the River Tamar at previous reviews...."

The Cornish won their argument against sharing an MP with Devon, looks like the green ink Angry from St Austell letters worked...
  • Options
    RobD said:

tlg86 said:

That's been a tight seat in the past, Labour had a good candidate (female ex military) but not sure the changes will help...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

RobD said:

tlg86 said:

That's been a tight seat in the past, Labour had a good candidate (female ex military) but not sure the changes will help...
    I noticed they are dropping the 700-year old Devizes constituency.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    edited June 2021
    It looks like Kingswood has disappeared.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,959
    Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

How’s about we go back to what Dr. King taught us, and treat people according to the content of their character rather than the colour of their skin?

Because this country by an large isnt all that racist anymore, yes we are still rooting out pockets of it but the truth is all those racism campaigners were virtually out of a job so they have latched on to a new money spinner with glee. They are just larcenous arseholes that would rather try and spin a fairy tale than get a proper job
    I can't believe that this country is not racist. The windrush deportations were, to my mind, evidence of outrageous institutional racism - a whole bureaucracy was set up with the apparent unspoken goal of deporting poor black people.

I really hoped that the Black Lives Matter protests would start focussing on things like this rather than problems with police shootings which really do not apply in this country. These injustices still go on; children basically lose their fathers to destitution in foreign countries after they have completed their prison sentences. They are effectively banished under blair era legislation that gives vast powers to the state which are simply exercised in an inhumane way.

Ask yourself - why should people with afro carribbean heritage suffer this fate whereas ethnic white people do not? How is that fair?

There are people, disproportionately black people, that actually suffer banishment and get their lives ruined. No one supports them because they are drug dealers or have committed terrible crimes, but they still have families, and lives are actually ruined in tangible ways (ie they become destitute in third world countries with no local networks to support them), rather than suffering PTSD from microagressions or misspoken language or whatever.

You will find many people posting on here who are oestensibly on my side of the argument (I am definetely not woke) who claim not to be racist but then celebrate the deportation of foreign criminals. I just think this, as much as wokeness, marks the decline of our civilisation.

According to the Migration Observatory at the University of Oxford, in 2019 68% of all those deported for criminal offenses were EU citizens. Trying to make out this is a racist policy is simply wrong and does you no credit at all.
    That doesn't mean much without knowing the relative proportions of subpopulations and sub-sub-populations (age and gender are strong correlates/determinants of criminal activity) and, indeed, race (it's possible to be a non-white EU citizen, after all).
    It means a great deal in the context of darkage's ridiculous claim "why should people with afro carribbean heritage suffer this fate whereas ethnic white people do not?"

For the record, apart from those 68% who are EU citizens, a further 21% are of SE Asian origin. Afro-Caribbeans made up a tiny percentage. And of course his whole argument is dumb anyway. Practically every country in the world has a policy of deporting foreign criminals. Even that paragon of virtue Norway deports almost 1000 foreign criminals a year. Claiming it is an intrinsically racist policy is a genuinely stupid idea.
    One of my adopted daughters is afro caribbean in heritage strangely she has never been under threat of deportation but then she doesnt go out commiting crimes
    Windrush was not about deporting criminals. Is your daughter safe from Home Office ineptitude, political opportunism or an officially hostile environment?
    Windrush was about deporting undocumented peole. My daughter is documented. The reason those people were undocumented is the civil service threw away their boarding cards which was an edict from jack straw.
    It is curious how every single problem during 11 years of Tory rule can be traced back to the Labour government.
    It's almost as if the Tories have no agency of their own. And are compelled to dance to a pre-destined tune played by an evil piper from magical pre-history.
    Karma is mysterious.
    I am not a tory supporter by any means however I do believe in truth and the destruction of those documents was intiaited by mr Straw. If they had still been extant the windrush thing would not have been an issue....which part are you disagreeing with?
    The being total bastards in absence of documentation bit. And in the refusal to accept employment and tax paying evidence. That bit.
    Someone undocumented is someone undocumented, you think the lowly civil servants processing warrants should have been making assessments? Please enlighten us how you tell. Also please enlighten us why you think people who came in the 50's might not have applied for residence or citizenship yet? . Where does anything become the individuals responsiblibility for left wing fuck nuts like you
    You accuse me of being a "left wing Fuck nut".
    The Windrush deportations happened under a Conservative government.
    True or false? Never mind. That's very last decade.
    Yes they happened under a conservative government. Yes they shouldnt have happened. Why they happened however is a left wing governement decided a few years before that the documentation was no longer needed.

Even so it was about 300 windrush deported, out of the original 57000 thats an error rate of 0.5 % which is probably less than the rate for those wrongly convicted.

You failed to answer the question I asked of a left wing fuck nut...why wasnt it these people's duty to get properly registered after all they only had 70 odd years? If you want to marry you need to register it, if you give birth you have to register it, if you die someone else has to register it, if you immigrate you dont need to register you being here? really?
    They had no requirement to be "properly registered" !

The state never asked them to. They could live, marry, work and vote in elections as they were.

That the state didn't manage its side of the paperwork properly, that the state didn't keep records of who migrated, is on the state, not the people. It isn't the people's job to work for the state's benefit.
    Yes but the point I was making was the state didnt have those records as they were thrown away and as usual low level civil servants were jobsworths and looked down the list of what was acceptable proof and rejected perfectly fine documents such as tax and rent because they werent on the list. I personally having dealt with many low level public sector workers if they were on fire after some of my experiences such as "We are taking you to court for non payment of poll tax" , "But I mailed you photocopies of the receipts twice now", "I didnt receive them"...stands up in court shows the receipts case dismissed.Next year get the same thing for the same fucking year

However sorry I do disagree with you that you can be here 70 odd years and never think once maybe I should legitimise myself by taking out residence or nationality
    Again they were legitimate.

They legitimately had residence.
    They legitimately had nationality.
    They legitimately could vote.
    They legitimately were taxed.
    They legitimately were BRITISH CITIZENS!

So what was there to legitimise?
    How then did they get a job, when I apply for one I have to show proof I am allowed to work in the uk. If they had that would be no problem. Same with benefits

How then did they rent anywhere first thing a landlord asks me now is for proof I am legally a uk resident.

I have all the about legitimacy's if i didnt have a passport though wouldnt matter a damn cant open a bank account, get a job claim benefits or rent a house. Why do I need a passport or some other form of id but windrush people dont ?
    That's a pretty recent occurrence, though. In my first jobs (mid-90s), no-one asked me for any proof I was allowed to work in the UK, only for my NI number.
    Yes but times change. When they did I went an got photo id with proof. Apparently though while that should be expected of me it shouldn't be expected of others
    My point is that if you came here 70 years ago, you're probably 75 or 80 now. That means that it's highly likely that - through your adult life - you needed nothing more than your dog eared National Insurance card.

Now, obviously if you travelled abroad, you'd have needed a passport. But you'd be amazed how many people of that generation (particularly the poorer ones) haven't travelled.

In general though, I agree with you. It's a cock up, not a consipiracy.
    Out of curiousity what does it say about our voting register, we have one governement deparment saying you have no right to be here another saying you have the right to vote
    The register of people with the right to vote - aka the electoral roll - is entirely self reported.

You could easily claim John O'Groats is a British citizen and lives in your basement.

Should the authorities come around to check (they won't), then you just tell them he was a lodger who moved out.

There is massive room for electoral fraud, through adding fictitious names to the electoral register, or through postal voting.

It always seems strange to me that the government spends a lot of time clamping down on fraud that largely doesn't exist (personation) rather that on massively more exploitable issues - like inventing fictitious people or postal vote harvesting.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,959
    Andy_JS said:

It looks like Kingswood has disappeared.

Demolished to make way for a bypass?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,263
    tlg86 said:

In Berkshire, Hampshire, and Surrey, it has been necessary to propose two constituencies that cross county boundaries. We have proposed one constituency that contains electors from both Berkshire and Surrey, which combines the town of Windsor and the town of Egham. We have also proposed one constituency that contains electors from both Surrey and Hampshire, which combines the town of Bordon from the district of East Hampshire in a constituency with the towns of Farnham and Haslemere in Surrey’s Borough of Waverley.

In Sussex, it has been necessary to propose one constituency that crosses the boundary between East Sussex and West Sussex. We have proposed that this constituency contain electors from three districts (Lewes, Mid Sussex, and Wealden), combining the towns of East Grinstead and Uckfield.

I predict a riot.

Both very good illustrations of the consequences of working to a very rigid and relatively narrow allowable range in terms of electors - something, until the Tories got their hands on the rules - that in the past the Commission had some scope to avoid when there were strong enough community justification to deploy a bit of extra flexibility.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

rcs1000 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

dixiedean said:

Pagan2 said:

Pagan2 said:

Carnyx said:

FPT

darkage said:

Pagan2 said:

Sandpit said:

How’s about we go back to what Dr. King taught us, and treat people according to the content of their character rather than the colour of their skin?

Because this country by an large isnt all that racist anymore, yes we are still rooting out pockets of it but the truth is all those racism campaigners were virtually out of a job so they have latched on to a new money spinner with glee. They are just larcenous arseholes that would rather try and spin a fairy tale than get a proper job
    I can't believe that this country is not racist. The windrush deportations were, to my mind, evidence of outrageous institutional racism - a whole bureaucracy was set up with the apparent unspoken goal of deporting poor black people.

I really hoped that the Black Lives Matter protests would start focussing on things like this rather than problems with police shootings which really do not apply in this country. These injustices still go on; children basically lose their fathers to destitution in foreign countries after they have completed their prison sentences. They are effectively banished under blair era legislation that gives vast powers to the state which are simply exercised in an inhumane way.

Ask yourself - why should people with afro carribbean heritage suffer this fate whereas ethnic white people do not? How is that fair?

There are people, disproportionately black people, that actually suffer banishment and get their lives ruined. No one supports them because they are drug dealers or have committed terrible crimes, but they still have families, and lives are actually ruined in tangible ways (ie they become destitute in third world countries with no local networks to support them), rather than suffering PTSD from microagressions or misspoken language or whatever.

You will find many people posting on here who are oestensibly on my side of the argument (I am definetely not woke) who claim not to be racist but then celebrate the deportation of foreign criminals. I just think this, as much as wokeness, marks the decline of our civilisation.

According to the Migration Observatory at the University of Oxford, in 2019 68% of all those deported for criminal offenses were EU citizens. Trying to make out this is a racist policy is simply wrong and does you no credit at all.
    That doesn't mean much without knowing the relative proportions of subpopulations and sub-sub-populations (age and gender are strong correlates/determinants of criminal activity) and, indeed, race (it's possible to be a non-white EU citizen, after all).
    It means a great deal in the context of darkage's ridiculous claim "why should people with afro carribbean heritage suffer this fate whereas ethnic white people do not?"

For the record, apart from those 68% who are EU citizens, a further 21% are of SE Asian origin. Afro-Caribbeans made up a tiny percentage. And of course his whole argument is dumb anyway. Practically every country in the world has a policy of deporting foreign criminals. Even that paragon of virtue Norway deports almost 1000 foreign criminals a year. Claiming it is an intrinsically racist policy is a genuinely stupid idea.
    One of my adopted daughters is afro caribbean in heritage strangely she has never been under threat of deportation but then she doesnt go out commiting crimes
    Windrush was not about deporting criminals. Is your daughter safe from Home Office ineptitude, political opportunism or an officially hostile environment?
    Windrush was about deporting undocumented peole. My daughter is documented. The reason those people were undocumented is the civil service threw away their boarding cards which was an edict from jack straw.
    It is curious how every single problem during 11 years of Tory rule can be traced back to the Labour government.
    It's almost as if the Tories have no agency of their own. And are compelled to dance to a pre-destined tune played by an evil piper from magical pre-history.
    Karma is mysterious.
    I am not a tory supporter by any means however I do believe in truth and the destruction of those documents was intiaited by mr Straw. If they had still been extant the windrush thing would not have been an issue....which part are you disagreeing with?
    The being total bastards in absence of documentation bit. And in the refusal to accept employment and tax paying evidence. That bit.
    Someone undocumented is someone undocumented, you think the lowly civil servants processing warrants should have been making assessments? Please enlighten us how you tell. Also please enlighten us why you think people who came in the 50's might not have applied for residence or citizenship yet? . Where does anything become the individuals responsiblibility for left wing fuck nuts like you
    You accuse me of being a "left wing Fuck nut".
    The Windrush deportations happened under a Conservative government.
    True or false? Never mind. That's very last decade.
    Yes they happened under a conservative government. Yes they shouldnt have happened. Why they happened however is a left wing governement decided a few years before that the documentation was no longer needed.

Even so it was about 300 windrush deported, out of the original 57000 thats an error rate of 0.5 % which is probably less than the rate for those wrongly convicted.

You failed to answer the question I asked of a left wing fuck nut...why wasnt it these people's duty to get properly registered after all they only had 70 odd years? If you want to marry you need to register it, if you give birth you have to register it, if you die someone else has to register it, if you immigrate you dont need to register you being here? really?
    They had no requirement to be "properly registered" !

The state never asked them to. They could live, marry, work and vote in elections as they were.

That the state didn't manage its side of the paperwork properly, that the state didn't keep records of who migrated, is on the state, not the people. It isn't the people's job to work for the state's benefit.
    Yes but the point I was making was the state didnt have those records as they were thrown away and as usual low level civil servants were jobsworths and looked down the list of what was acceptable proof and rejected perfectly fine documents such as tax and rent because they werent on the list. I personally having dealt with many low level public sector workers if they were on fire after some of my experiences such as "We are taking you to court for non payment of poll tax" , "But I mailed you photocopies of the receipts twice now", "I didnt receive them"...stands up in court shows the receipts case dismissed.Next year get the same thing for the same fucking year

However sorry I do disagree with you that you can be here 70 odd years and never think once maybe I should legitimise myself by taking out residence or nationality
    Again they were legitimate.

They legitimately had residence.
    They legitimately had nationality.
    They legitimately could vote.
    They legitimately were taxed.
    They legitimately were BRITISH CITIZENS!

So what was there to legitimise?
    How then did they get a job, when I apply for one I have to show proof I am allowed to work in the uk. If they had that would be no problem. Same with benefits

How then did they rent anywhere first thing a landlord asks me now is for proof I am legally a uk resident.

I have all the about legitimacy's if i didnt have a passport though wouldnt matter a damn cant open a bank account, get a job claim benefits or rent a house. Why do I need a passport or some other form of id but windrush people dont ?
    That's a pretty recent occurrence, though. In my first jobs (mid-90s), no-one asked me for any proof I was allowed to work in the UK, only for my NI number.
    Yes but times change. When they did I went an got photo id with proof. Apparently though while that should be expected of me it shouldn't be expected of others
    My point is that if you came here 70 years ago, you're probably 75 or 80 now. That means that it's highly likely that - through your adult life - you needed nothing more than your dog eared National Insurance card.

Now, obviously if you travelled abroad, you'd have needed a passport. But you'd be amazed how many people of that generation (particularly the poorer ones) haven't travelled.

In general though, I agree with you. It's a cock up, not a consipiracy.
    Out of curiousity what does it say about our voting register, we have one governement deparment saying you have no right to be here another saying you have the right to vote
    The register of people with the right to vote - aka the electoral roll - is entirely self reported.

You could easily claim John O'Groats is a British citizen and lives in your basement.

Should the authorities come around to check (they won't), then you just tell them he was a lodger who moved out.

There is massive room for electoral fraud, through adding fictitious names to the electoral register, or through postal voting.

It always seems strange to me that the government spends a lot of time clamping down on fraud that largely doesn't exist (personation) rather that on massively more exploitable issues - like inventing fictitious people or postal vote harvesting.
    I think that is overstating things nowadays; NI numbers are used as part of the registration process and there is a lot more cross-checking with other records, such as for council tax etc., made possible because all these records are computerised.

The days when you could put your children or pets down and get them registered because nobody ever cross-checked are long gone.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

I predict a riot.

Both very good illustrations of the consequences of working to a very rigid and relatively narrow allowable range in terms of electors - something, until the Tories got their hands on the rules - that in the past the Commission had some scope to avoid when there were strong enough community justification to deploy a bit of extra flexibility.
    To be honest I don’t think it’s a problem. Seats cross local authority boundaries so it doesn’t matter if a few cross county boundaries.
  • Options
    I think that is overstating things nowadays; NI numbers are used as part of the registration process and there is a lot more cross-checking with other records, such as for council tax etc., made possible because all these records are computerised.

The days when you could put your children or pets down and get them registered because nobody ever cross-checked are long gone.

Council tax in particular picks up when electors change in a property (matter of days in a Manchester property I owned)...
  • Options
    On the Isle of Wight I see they have moved away from the east-west split proposed last time and gone with something pretty close to the counter-proposal I put in last time. Moving one ward might make the proposed boundaries neater, and I will have to look at the impact on the numbers later. Interestingly, for the island, being an exception from the nationally established quote and range, there isn’t any statutory rule that the two seats have to be the same size!
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    Hampstead’s not going to be very happy, split in half right along the high street like that.

Indeed the proposals for central north London are bizarre - look at “Kentish Town and Bloomsbury” - from the top of Hampstead Heath at Kenwood down to just short of Covent Garden.

And the biggest insult of all - neither the words Hampstead (apart from ‘West Hampstead - which for NW3 heaps insult on insult!) nor Highgate figure in any constituency name at all. I put money on those boundaries and titles not surviving the consultation!
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,501
    edited June 2021
    19th. Better than Hamilton.

("test" does not count - creativity required from OGH !)
  • Options
    Starmer’s seat has gone...
  • Options
    Tim Farron’s retirement beckons, his seat shattered into three equal bits
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    tlg86 said:

Starmer’s seat has gone...

Actually his seat is basically the Kentish Town and Bloomsbury one. Quite a lot of name changes for not especially large changes in seats.

The biggest change appears to be the splitting up of the Cities of London and Westminster.
  • Options
    SeaShantyIrish2SeaShantyIrish2 Posts: 15,561
    RobD said:

RobD said:

tlg86 said:

I noticed they are dropping the 700-year old Devizes constituency.
    So Devizes has been left to its own devices?

During my 2001 general election tour of Britain, was tootling along though southern England on polling day, and stopped at a poll site in the (then) Devizes constituency, and chatted for about a half hour with the woman on duty. Only other person who came in while I was there, was a cop who was making his rounds of local polling locations.

Then the morning after in London, was hanging outside of Tory Central Office for a bit, when I spotted Michael Ancram, who was (at that time) MP for . . . wait for it . . . Devizes.

And now it's gone! Yet another victim of COVID, BREXIT & UFO/UAPs
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,576
    edited June 2021
    Apparently the most Tory ward in Hampstead, Frognal and Fitzjohns, has been placed in the same constituency as Harlesden which is a very Labour area in Brent represented by Dawn Butler.
  • Options
    Question - based on past precedents (and recent tea leaves) how much change will there be to the recommended boundaries, before they are adopted and implemented.

In Washington State, the legislature can make small tweaks to the plans for congressional (10) and legislative (49) districts drafted by the state redistricting commission. Which they've done in the past, in a very minor way.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Wonder how much the population of London has reduced since 2 March 2020...
  • Options
    Personally recommend, on my own authority, creation of new parliamentary constituency of Diego Garcia, Gibraltar, Heligoland, Rockall, South Shetland Islands and West Wokeshire West.

Which in addition to giving hitherto unrepresented British subjects a voice in the Mother of Parliaments, can be an instrument for resolving ticklish international disputes.

For example, negotiate joint sovereignty agreement with Republic of Ireland re: Rockall. Then use this connection to establish an organic guano industry that can in tern be the linchpin for resolving thorny issues ranging from the Irish Border to the Offside Rule.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,186
    My goodness, there’s going to be a *lot* of trouble over their proposals for Stafford,Stoke and Stone.

Especially the way they blithely describe Stone as ‘what’s left when we’ve sorted everything else even though it makes no sense.’
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,287
    edited June 2021
    Very complicated in Barnet.

Instead of three straight forward constituencies at present there will now be:

- One constituency wholly within the Borough
    - Four constituencies consisting of part of Barnet and part of another Borough

The four other Boroughs which combine with Barnet are:

Enfield
    Harringey
    Harrow
    Brent
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    edited June 2021

Personally recommend, on my own authority, creation of new parliamentary constituency of Diego Garcia, Gibraltar, Heligoland, Rockall, South Shetland Islands and West Wokeshire West.

Which in addition to giving hitherto unrepresented British subjects a voice in the Mother of Parliaments, can be an instrument for resolving ticklish international disputes.

For example, negotiate joint sovereignty agreement with Republic of Ireland re: Rockall. Then use this connection to establish an organic guano industry that can in tern be the linchpin for resolving thorny issues ranging from the Irish Border to the Offside Rule.

Presumably for an MP with a taste for travel expenses?

It’s always funny to see the reaction of the MPs to boundary change proposals. This one isn’t quite the bunfight that a reduction to 600 would have given us, although there will be some safe seats that become somewhat more marginal.

At least they are drawn up by an independent committee, and not by the politicians themselves as happens in several US states.
  • Options
    They’ve cocked up Gloucestershire as well. They’ve put half of Gloucester in the Tewkesbury constituency on the grounds that Quedgeley is a more logical inclusion with Gloucester!

Not sure Cirencester and Malmesbury is going to be well received either. Is it normal for district capitals to be in different constituencies from their district?
  • Options
    It's great that they have published these. The map is excellent.

There are going to be endless complaints, for sure, whilst people stare at their individual tree rather than the overall wood.
  • Options
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

I predict a riot.

I think it's a reasonable requirement that seats be of equal size. Especially immediately after a redrawing of the boundaries.
    +1

And which is the thing everyone is about to ignore
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060
    As someone who writes a school timetable as part of my day job I can appreciate both the work that has gone into this and the impossibility of giving everyone the equivalent of Friday afternoon off.
    I suspect MPs will be a bit less forgiving than teachers usually are though.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Genuinely bizarre seats in West Sussex. Lumping Pulborough together with Shoreham is particularly strange, seems designed to keep the seat near Brighton blue. Gerald Mander would be proud.
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,192
    An initial glance at changes to the North East. They're abolishing newly won Sedgefield and turning it into chunks of Bishop Aukland and a new Stockton West. An opportunity to get shut of one of their new MPs who are useless - Dehenna Davison is execrable in Bishop.

The the usual stupid boundaries syndrome - City of Durham no longer contains half of the city which is split into three...
  • Options

"The electorate of Devon is such that it would be difficult to allocate a whole number of constituencies to the county without significant disruption to local ties. We therefore propose that the county be grouped with another county. However, we do not consider that this should be with Cornwall, given the strength of feeling against a constituency spanning the River Tamar at previous reviews...."

The Cornish won their argument against sharing an MP with Devon, looks like the green ink Angry from St Austell letters worked...

Ben Bradshaw's Labour bastion in Exeter has had a huge chunk bitten out of it on the east side. I'm not expert enough on the area but I suspect it's going to make Exeter marginal, as it was 25 years ago.
  • Options
    As I said before they were published, these changes won't go through. Boundary reviews were supposed to be that thing you did to shag the opposition, this seems to wind up their own people and slash their own seats.

The increasing absurdities in the seats proposed demonstrate the problem in the brief - equal seat sizes. As a guide and a principle it is correct, but it can't be applied arbitrarily. The unfairness isn't one seat being 10k bigger than its neighbour, it is in the FPTP system.

Our MPs exist to represent the area and their people. Very difficult to do that when the area is an arbitrary line division that smashes through a town. We need to have better coordination of services and areas, not smashing imaginary lines through Durham or Gloucester or Middleton or Highgate.
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

As I said before they were published, these changes won't go through. Boundary reviews were supposed to be that thing you did to shag the opposition, this seems to wind up their own people and slash their own seats.

The increasing absurdities in the seats proposed demonstrate the problem in the brief - equal seat sizes. As a guide and a principle it is correct, but it can't be applied arbitrarily. The unfairness isn't one seat being 10k bigger than its neighbour, it is in the FPTP system.

Our MPs exist to represent the area and their people. Very difficult to do that when the area is an arbitrary line division that smashes through a town. We need to have better coordination of services and areas, not smashing imaginary lines through Durham or Gloucester or Middleton or Highgate.

I don’t think giving Boris encouragement to shag anybody is a good idea...
  • Options
    Cocky_cockneyCocky_cockney Posts: 760
    edited June 2021
    I see that Dunny-on-the-Wold is being abolished. The current electorate consists of:

Three rather mangy cows
    A dachshund named Colin
    A small hen in its late 40s
    One actual human being who is the sole voter with the right to cast 16,472 votes

I mean ... look ... the system is flawed. We know that. Sir Cleggy had his chance properly to reform the voting system but decided corruption and selling his soul to the devil was a better option for him and the LibDems.

Every time you tinker with an imperfect, many would say broken, system it only makes it look worse.
  • Options

I don’t think giving Boris encouragement to shag anybody is a good idea...
    Historically, it’s never been needed.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892

Just wanted to put this out there... it is now two weeks since Cummings tried to get Boris.. we had all the hype about how it was going to be a game changer, and who is talking about Cummings now , two weeks on....?

You are
  • Options

Question - based on past precedents (and recent tea leaves) how much change will there be to the recommended boundaries, before they are adopted and implemented.

In Washington State, the legislature can make small tweaks to the plans for congressional (10) and legislative (49) districts drafted by the state redistricting commission. Which they've done in the past, in a very minor way.

They make an effort to respond, and be seen to respond, to consultation and therefore where there is a clear local stink about the proposals - as there surely will be in North London - they are almost certain to go for something different.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
    Fpt

<>
    Any recommendations for where to buy a decent suit, @Foxy? I seem to need to upgrade my size a little (I blame lockdown) and I've found it very hard to replace my Austin Reed suits with anything of comparable quality.

--AS

If you’re willing to pay a bit extra, Cordings is a good option, somewhat country/field sports orientated but more standard stuff also. Decent stepping stone between quality high street and bespoke imo.

https://www.cordings.co.uk/menswear
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Just wanted to put this out there... it is now two weeks since Cummings tried to get Boris.. we had all the hype about how it was going to be a game changer, and who is talking about Cummings now , two weeks on....?

You are
    Oh dear.

Squareroot was making a valid and good point.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    ydoethur said:

My goodness, there’s going to be a *lot* of trouble over their proposals for Stafford,Stoke and Stone.

Especially the way they blithely describe Stone as ‘what’s left when we’ve sorted everything else even though it makes no sense.’

Yes. If you look at the reports for each region, they reveal the sub-regions they used to calculate the seat allocations, and once you know these, it is often possible to see which they they ‘worked around’ and to spot which seat was the one that got the wards left at the end.
  • Options

Except that this time the final recommendations have, in parliamentary terms, “gone through” already!
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010

A simple way of dealing with this issue would be to reinstate dual-member constituencies. Which I believe used to be fairly common at one time.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735

You are. HTH.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,620

Valid observation. I'm surprised at how this died almost immediately. I'm sure something will crop up in the future that will resurrect it, but less impact than more trivial stuff.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Yes. If you look at the summary documents for each region, they reveal the sub-regions they used to calculate the seat allocations, and once you know these, it is often possible to see which they they ‘worked around’ and to spot which seat was the one that got the wards left at the end.
    The whole principle is wrong. The aim should be effective representation, something which is best served by a town having one MP. The split off areas won't get representation because the MP can always blame the other MP(s) for not doing their bit.

My old town of Thornaby has been part of Middlesbrough and part of Stockton from a constituency perspective. Now it will be both - one ward stays with a redrawn Stockton west, two go to Middlesbrough. Which means the border runs literally through the town centre. No chance of anything getting done ever again.

Want to bring in the fairness and equality that the EC were tasked with? Replace FPTP.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,881
    IanB2 said:

Except that this time the final recommendations have, in parliamentary terms, “gone through” already!
    Indeed. Is it one or two revisions, then the final version from the Commission published as an SI rather then being put to a vote.

Designed so the MPs can’t vote it down at the end of the process, which might encourage them to be more constructive in their criticisms.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,010
    IanB2 said:

On the Isle of Wight I see they have moved away from the east-west split proposed last time and gone with something pretty close to the counter-proposal I put in last time. Moving one ward might make the proposed boundaries neater, and I will have to look at the impact on the numbers later. Interestingly, for the island, being an exception from the nationally established quote and range, there isn’t any statutory rule that the two seats have to be the same size!

I still don't see why you can't have one entirely insular seat, and one shared with the mainland. No extra representation for Caulkheads, I say.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    edited June 2021
    Thread:
    turns out Boris Johnson’s intention to build his new trade yacht in the UK is set to fall foul of a World Trade Organization agreement struck by his own government last year

https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1402140834938732550?s=20
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,594
    Quite major changes in Leics, with only NW Leics and Loughborough little changed. The latter will be the closest to a marginal locally, though the new seat including the suburbs south of the city from Oadby to Blaby may be interesting for Lib Dems. The rest have changed a lot but fairly sensibly. Syston and Melton together for example. Rutland is a group of rural leftovers.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Genuinely bizarre seats in West Sussex. Lumping Pulborough together with Shoreham is particularly strange, seems designed to keep the seat near Brighton blue. Gerald Mander would be proud.

Tonbridge is a bit weird as well, with an strange northern extension crossing and going north from the M26
  • Options
    Meanwhile in the world of the clowncar

"Plan to build UK trade ship will break WTO agreement, warn experts"
    "But while Number 10 has announced its “intention” to build the as yet unnamed ship in the UK, this would breach an agreement that Britain signed up to only eight months ago.

Ministers failed to exclude the construction of civilian ships from the list of contracts that must be opened to global competition when it signed the WTO “government procurement agreement” (GPA) covering 48 countries last October."

"Liz Truss, trade secretary, boasted in October that the GPA would allow British companies to keep bidding for public sector contracts around the world worth £1.3tr a year. Likewise, she said, overseas groups would be able to continue to bid for UK public sector contracts, “delivering better value for UK taxpayers”.

But that could frustrate the government’s attempts to use a “Buy British” approach to building the new yacht. Item 47 of annex 4 of the UK schedule of the GPA explicitly says the procurement of “ships, boats and floating structures, except warships” must be advertised internationally and awarded without discrimination."

https://www.ft.com/content/c77b7aa1-cebc-47c6-a04a-d21eef2d1d38#comments-anchor

They truly are dumb bastards.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

Yes. If you look at the summary documents for each region, they reveal the sub-regions they used to calculate the seat allocations, and once you know these, it is often possible to see which they they ‘worked around’ and to spot which seat was the one that got the wards left at the end.
    The whole principle is wrong. The aim should be effective representation, something which is best served by a town having one MP. The split off areas won't get representation because the MP can always blame the other MP(s) for not doing their bit.

My old town of Thornaby has been part of Middlesbrough and part of Stockton from a constituency perspective. Now it will be both - one ward stays with a redrawn Stockton west, two go to Middlesbrough. Which means the border runs literally through the town centre. No chance of anything getting done ever again.

Want to bring in the fairness and equality that the EC were tasked with? Replace FPTP.
    splitting a town into numerous MPs seats doesnt seem to have done London much harm
  • Options
    "Other countries, including the US, Canada, Japan and Australia, have, by contrast, ensured that their GPA agreements exclude civil shipbuilding."

Could it be that the UK can't negotiate for shit?
  • Options

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

[...]

I think that's a bit OTT, especially to state that 'the whole principle is wrong.'

You make a big claim about MP representation, which I'll come back to, but it's obviously not good for democracy to have some MPs voted in by 50,000 constituents and others by 140,000. As well as clearly over-burdening some MPs compared to others, that can lead to huge problems on a national scale which is worse for democracy.

I'm going to be controversial here in terms of a site like this but I suspect that constituency affiliation is vastly overrated. I've never written to my MP about anything and I suspect the number of constituents who actually go to see an MP about something is fewer than 1% of the population.

For some areas there may be great pride in their local constituency boundaries but I suspect you're clinging on to something which, if it ever did exist, was an awfully long time ago.
  • Options

"But while Number 10 has announced its “intention” to build the as yet unnamed ship in the UK, this would breach an agreement that Britain signed up to only eight months ago.

Ministers failed to exclude the construction of civilian ships from the list of contracts that must be opened to global competition when it signed the WTO “government procurement agreement” (GPA) covering 48 countries last October."

"Liz Truss, trade secretary, boasted in October that the GPA would allow British companies to keep bidding for public sector contracts around the world worth £1.3tr a year. Likewise, she said, overseas groups would be able to continue to bid for UK public sector contracts, “delivering better value for UK taxpayers”.

But that could frustrate the government’s attempts to use a “Buy British” approach to building the new yacht. Item 47 of annex 4 of the UK schedule of the GPA explicitly says the procurement of “ships, boats and floating structures, except warships” must be advertised internationally and awarded without discrimination."

HMS Tradey McTradeface is another nailed on project that never goes anywhere, like Borises Bridges and Islands.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,317
    Swings and roundabouts.
  • Options
    edited June 2021
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

I predict a riot.

I think it's a reasonable requirement that seats be of equal size. Especially immediately after a redrawing of the boundaries.
    Yes, but anyone who has tried to map out their own boundaries following the rules knows the problems you can get into. Working across an area, you start off with mostly sensible seats, but if the size of the quota doesn’t easily align with the size of the larger towns, you can start having to lump in wards here and there for no reason other than to balance the maths, then suddenly you end up against a large town that used to be its own seat and have to take a slice off, or split it in half.

The purpose of the old flexibility clause for community ties is that you could resolve this by letting through one seat in the sub-region that was a tad over- or under- the strict limits of the range, to avoid having to make unnecessary knock on changes around the rest of the area.

As soon as you take the discretionary flexibility away, you are forced down paths where some areas are guaranteed to have to suffer dogs dinners, as we can see this morning.

Given that electoral registration, which provides the data, is itself not fully scientific - missing out some people and double registering many others (some by intention, like students), holding to rigid inflexible limits isn’t really justifiable.
  • Options
    state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,417
    edited June 2021
    Love these reviews always a load of NIMPS - Not in my parliamentary seat!
  • Options
    kjh said:

Valid observation. I'm surprised at how this died almost immediately. I'm sure something will crop up in the future that will resurrect it, but less impact than more trivial stuff.
    I think it a slow burner. When the histories of the Johnson regime are written it will be heavily cited, as all on the published record.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

tlg86 said:

I predict a riot.

community ties
    No longer exist.

We've all got cars, travel all over the place and vote for Boris against evil Corbyn.

I'll put my more sanguine post another way. No one gives a shit which constituency they're in.

It's the MPs who will kick off about this. And political anoraks. No one else will care.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    Good news for Labour in Coventry, the trade of Willenhall into East (Otherwise the same as North East) for Lower Stoke means Coventry South is a more likely hold for Sultana.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 12,994
    edited June 2021

Flaggy McFlagface is also a significant cut in capability for the RN. It will need a whole frigate's worth of crew for which the RN are not receiving any extra funding at a time when 2 x T23 frigates are harbour queens due to... er... lack of crew.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

Flaggy McFlagface is also a significant cut in capability for the RN. It will need a whole frigate's worth of crew for which the RN are not receiving any extra funding at a time when 2 x T23 frigates are harbour queens due to... er... lack of crew.
    Is she to be staffed by the RN?

I can see it being popular with the Admiral of cocktails and the Commodore of canapés.
  • Options
    JonWCJonWC Posts: 285

Ben Bradshaw's Labour bastion in Exeter has had a huge chunk bitten out of it on the east side. I'm not expert enough on the area but I suspect it's going to make Exeter marginal, as it was 25 years ago.
    I don't think so. Ben still gets to keep the bits he wanted. What would have panicked him is the city divided down the river with an Exeter East and West both having a large rural hinterland. What would remove him now would be the collapse of the Labour party.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Dura_Ace said:

Grow the pie. Since the MoD gets 2% of UK GDP, if the trade ship results in more GDP then the MoD gets 2% of that which I'm sure it can then put to good use. 😉
  • Options
    James_MJames_M Posts: 48
    I am relatively new to North Yorkshire, but there doesn't seem to be a huge amount of change proposed in most of the county. My constituency of Skipton and Ripon stays largely the same, gaining Ripley. Harrogate and Knaresborough is more focused just on those two towns. Scarborough stays unchanged. Rishi's Richmond seat loses Bedale and villages to Thirsk and Malton. York and York Outer more or less the same. The bigger change is around Selby (which seems to get a bit of Leeds) and the proposed creation of a Wetherby and Eastwolds seat that also combines North and West Yorkshire.
  • Options
    Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 32,892
    Foxy said:

I can see it being popular with the Admiral of cocktails and the Commodore of canapés.

That's how they get round the procurement rules they signed.

Military vessels are exempt
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105

There's huge housebuilding going on around Exeter, taking the suburbs way out. Can't be easy to sort that one....
  • Options
    Scott_xP said:

Foxy said:

That's how they get round the procurement rules they signed.

Military vessels are exempt
    English Sparkling Wine corks as pop-guns?
  • Options
    James_MJames_M Posts: 48
    In the area of my birth - Lancashire - far more radical changes are proposed. It is counted with Cumbria as a sub-region, albeit Southport seems to dip into Merseyside too. It seems the Defence Secretary's seat is heavily changed. In East Lancashire, they take bits of Ribble Valley (Whalley etc) and add to Hyndburn. Bits of Burnley go in Pendle. Burnley becomes Burnley and Bacup.
  • Options

Complete and utter non-story with that weasel word "could" again.

Its a military vessel to be staffed by the Royal Navy. Even if its to be used for generating trade.

I fully expect this vessel to go ahead and to be built, I expect locally by Cammell Laird. Though others might expect their own local area to get it instead.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,235

Agreed. My Westminster constituency is Dundee West which includes bits of Angus where I live and Perthshire where my daughter lives. So what? The object of this exercise is to ensure that my vote and your vote have roughly equal value which is not the case at the moment where a Welsh vote is worth about 20% more.

We are currently operating off a 2001 census. It is absurd. The government should do the minimum consultation to stop legal impediments and then push this through. We also need to make sure that we never end up with these kinds of delays again. It is undemocratic, much more so than some town being split in 2.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

[...]

I think that's a bit OTT, especially to state that 'the whole principle is wrong.'

You make a big claim about MP representation, which I'll come back to, but it's obviously not good for democracy to have some MPs voted in by 50,000 constituents and others by 140,000. As well as clearly over-burdening some MPs compared to others, that can lead to huge problems on a national scale which is worse for democracy.

I'm going to be controversial here in terms of a site like this but I suspect that constituency affiliation is vastly overrated. I've never written to my MP about anything and I suspect the number of constituents who actually go to see an MP about something is fewer than 1% of the population.

For some areas there may be great pride in their local constituency boundaries but I suspect you're clinging on to something which, if it ever did exist, was an awfully long time ago.
    There needs to be some equalisation - the odd seat like the Isle of Wight with that many constituents is right to be split. My point on everywhere else though is that not even considered is how effective these seats will be at representing the people and the area. I'm not talking about constituency affiliation, I'm talking about constituency representation.

Going back to my old town as an example - and there are worse ones that have already been flagged by others. Thornaby has enough of a struggle to be properly represented on Stockton council. Having an MP who knows where it is (Wharton didn't have a clue, Williamsd and Vickers are both excellent on that front) is critical.

Post review the town gets split in two. The poorer wards lump into Middlesbrough who frankly have their own problems. The richer ward goes to Stockton West. Neither will focus much on anyone's radar, now will there be a voice standing up in parliament able to represent the tow or its considerable issues.

There had to be consideration for effective representation. Setting the focus solely on number of voters was wrong.
  • Options
    Dura_Ace said:

If it is manned entirely by RN personnel surely we can class it as a warship for this purpose?
  • Options

There's huge housebuilding going on around Exeter, taking the suburbs way out. Can't be easy to sort that one....
    Exeter has had both Topsham and St Loyes removed, it's even safer for Bradshaw than it was. Easy hold.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,816
    - Constituencies representing natural communities and areas
    - Equal population-sized constituencies
    - One MP per constituency

Pick two.

As a country, we've gone for numbers 2 and 3, and we try to pretend we go for number 1 as well, despite being as convincing as a puppy next to a big poo on the floor trying to look completely innocent.

We could validly go with a system starting at Land's End and counting population inwards, cutting it off down the middle of a street if necessary, and iterating to the next seat. Forget the regular pretence that actually Reading North and some villages and Reading South and some other villages were a natural community but that some population growth in Slough means that actually NOW Reading West and some villages is a natural community instead, as well as Reading East and some villages.

It'd be gratifying for constituencies to have some more honest names like "Abingdon and the bits of Oxfordshire left over from the other seats" so we don't have to try to handwave justify things.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,105
    JonWC said:

I don't think so. Ben still gets to keep the bits he wanted. What would have panicked him is the city divided down the river with an Exeter East and West both having a large rural hinterland. What would remove him now would be the collapse of the Labour party.
    What will remove him is him having enough. He was supposed to have wanted to retire after 2015, then May's snap election in 2017 kept him in place. And again in 2019. He has a huge personal vote, so unless he has time to introduce his replacement, it could get trickier (although Labour's Devon CC seats are stacked up in the city).
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,525
    Farewell Penrith and the Border, eternally Tory, where Willie Whitelaw won about eight times. Scattered people, sheep by the million, current MP a vet.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,045
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,150
    Foxy said:

HMS Tradey McTradeface is another nailed on project that never goes anywhere, like Borises Bridges and Islands.
    It does seem that way.

I suspect circa £50m in pre planning will be swallowed up before the whole affair is shelved.Although in the grand scheme of Johnson's grandiose vanity projects, that will be money more wisely spent than if the project is completed.
  • Options

JonWC said:

What will remove him is him having enough. He was supposed to have wanted to retire after 2015, then May's snap election in 2017 kept him in place. And again in 2019. He has a huge personal vote, so unless he has time to introduce his replacement, it could get trickier (although Labour's Devon CC seats are stacked up in the city).
    Yes agreed. If Starmer were to be replaced by a Corbynite for example.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,612
    Interesting contrast between Simon Fanshawe (founder of Stonewall, now critical of their views on Trans rights) and Benjamin Cohen (Pink News Editor, generally supportive of Stonewall position) on R4 - one came across as reasonable posing good questions, the other tried to question the interviewer suggesting he was asking the wrong questions and got very ranty when challenged. Bit of a car crash....
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Agreed. My Westminster constituency is Dundee West which includes bits of Angus where I live and Perthshire where my daughter lives. So what? The object of this exercise is to ensure that my vote and your vote have roughly equal value which is not the case at the moment where a Welsh vote is worth about 20% more.

We are currently operating off a 2001 census. It is absurd. The government should do the minimum consultation to stop legal impediments and then push this through. We also need to make sure that we never end up with these kinds of delays again. It is undemocratic, much more so than some town being split in 2.
    FPTP isn't particularly good as a system for fair representation, and removing 50 MPs would have been even worse for smaller parties.
    Of course scrapping it and going to STV or some such would be the 'fairest' idea. But this is not what we are offered. We are offered a choice between FPTP on very out of date boundaries or more up to date boundaries.
    Obviously the more level numbers of constituents per constituency are better than previous.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Exeter has had both Topsham and St Loyes removed, it's even safer for Bradshaw than it was. Easy hold.
    No, Topsham and St Loyes had already gone into East Devon. The bits lost now include the massive council estate at Burnthouse Lane. You might think that was a big source of Labour votes but having seen it during the World Cup with enough England flags to cause Emily Thornberry to collapse into a black hole of champagne socialist ire I am no longer sure this would be the case.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

ydoethur said:

[...]

There needs to be some equalisation - the odd seat like the Isle of Wight with that many constituents is right to be split. My point on everywhere else though is that not even considered is how effective these seats will be at representing the people and the area. I'm not talking about constituency affiliation, I'm talking about constituency representation.

Going back to my old town as an example - and there are worse ones that have already been flagged by others. Thornaby has enough of a struggle to be properly represented on Stockton council. Having an MP who knows where it is (Wharton didn't have a clue, Williamsd and Vickers are both excellent on that front) is critical.

Post review the town gets split in two. The poorer wards lump into Middlesbrough who frankly have their own problems. The richer ward goes to Stockton West. Neither will focus much on anyone's radar, now will there be a voice standing up in parliament able to represent the tow or its considerable issues.

There had to be consideration for effective representation. Setting the focus solely on number of voters was wrong.
    Don't agree. Looking at Wiki it seems Thornaby has a population (not electorate) of 24k people. If we were to ignore population size altogether then should that mean it has its own MP?

Maybe we can have one MP for every town or city no matter the size. So Thornaby gets one MP, as does Warrington, as does Liverpool.

Be great for the Tories that, not so much for democracy.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    edited June 2021
    The North East seat changes aren’t too bad for Labour.

Although my seat, Newcastle upon Tyne North, could now be a marginal.
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,280
    Good morning

Just heard Burley on Sky say that Whitty and Vallance briefed the government yesterday suggesting it is 'grim'

To be honest I have not heard them say that and does anyone challenge Burley's sources
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

DavidL said:

FPTP isn't particularly good as a system for fair representation, and removing 50 MPs would have been even worse for smaller parties.
    Of course scrapping it and going to STV or some such would be the 'fairest' idea. But this is not what we are offered. We are offered a choice between FPTP on very out of date boundaries or more up to date boundaries.
    Obviously the more level numbers of constituents per constituency are better than previous.
    That really is a different argument and a perfectly valid one. But in FPTP the size of constituencies is important and the government were right to have tight criteria for this.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079

Good morning

Just heard Burley on Sky say that Whitty and Vallance briefed the government yesterday suggesting it is 'grim'

To be honest I have not heard them say that and does anyone challenge Burley's sources

Why do you watch it if you hate it so much? I don’t understand.
  • Options
    Our Welsh friends have been very quiet this morning............their MPs have had a kicking in terms of numbers
  • Options
    Tim Farron looks done on the boundary changes, his Kendall stronghold and better rural wards split asunder.
This discussion has been closed.