Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Boundary changes – the winners and losers – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607

@Malmesbury BYO is much better because company issued equipment is usually dogsh*t.

Depends on the company, we kit out everyone with a brand new MacBook Pro or Dell XPS depending on the team they sit in. It's pre configured by Apple/Dell as well which saves a lot of IT hassle.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,282

TOPPING said:

However, Michael Carberry, who played six Tests for England between 2010 and 2014, told 5 Live that Robinson "wouldn't be playing Test cricket" if it was up to him, adding: "I don't believe this is a problem where you can rehabilitate someone."

I presume he also believes criminals must all be locked up forever....as they also clearly can't be reformed.

As someone normally on the side of what the reactionaries call the woke, two things need to be said. Of course people can change, otherwise there would be no point educating about racism at all, if everyones mind is already set. Secondly very few of us would want to be judged by our worst teenage actions, or stand up well to such scrutiny, once we are in our mid twenties or beyond.
    And yet this story illustrates precisely the dangers that the 'reactionaries' have been warning you about all along: in the Church of Woke, anyone can be denounced for the smallest of heresies, and there is no forgiveness and no redemption.

Perhaps the reactionaries had a point after all?
    I was certainly irresponsible at university. I got drunk and fell in a gutter, nicked a traffic cone, threw up in a taxi, told off-colour jokes, was a bit cheeky to a couple of lecturers, used the word "gay" to mean crap/pants/sad - as was normal at the time amongst all my friends of whatever persuasion - and was a bit of a letch on the dancefloor, and even got slapped once. However, most of the time I was fine, I had lots of fun, learnt a lot, made great friends, and had some gorgeous and intelligent girlfriends.

It's called growing up. But, if any of that had been tweeted at the time, I'd probably be finished.

I don't blame young people for being so uptight and snowflakey when they have all that to deal with. I would be.
    Or. Not be on twitter/snapchat/insta.

But I realise it's a big ask for the youngsters.
    Yes, those are tools that facilitate normal social interactions these days, I'm afraid. They need to be private and temporary/non-discoverable.

As humans we must be able to give free blast to our feelings without fear of censure at times, because it's not really possible to live under absolute discipline all the time at all ages.
    True but I wouldn't go to Waterloo Station at rush hour and shout out my views so there is that parallel.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,328

Mr. Eagles, aren't your trousers considered harmful to epileptics?

No.
    Constable Savage would probably hold them to be grounds for arrest, from what you've told us.
    My latest suit.

Classy and not epilepsy inducing at all.

https://www.huntsmansavilerow.com/product/navy-fresco-1b-sb-suit/
    Hmmm. So that is the look that all the 20-something estate agents are trying for - nice to know.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189

tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

I've mentioned on here we withdrew a contract offer from someone when we looked at their social media.

Saying things about (Jewish) bankers being evil and that sort of stuff isn't wise when you want to work in the banking & financial services sector.

And that's fair enough. Ultimately it's up to businesses who they employ.

The ECB might like to think they're entitled to the same courtesy, but they have to accept that they will get scrutinized in a way that your company won't.
    Have to admit we did get in to a right pickle over another hire, their posts was littered with words like 'Yids' and 'really enjoying giving the rent boys a f*cking' and 'Abrahmovich is a Yid' which looked like a contract withdrawal until we looked at his profile picture.

Audere est Facere.
    You gave them a job? Hmmm

Either a word is acceptable or it isn't, in my opinion.
    We did. It was viewed in the same way as black people using the N word.

Fortunately for him we have a Jewish background and plenty of Spurs fans.
    We can't use the y word, we just call them c****.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,133
    Sandpit said:

Yup, half the internet is down!

‘Varnish cache’ errors mostly, going to be one of the big CDNs with an outage.

Fastly apparently
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,078

No.
    Constable Savage would probably hold them to be grounds for arrest, from what you've told us.
    My latest suit.

That suit is worth more than my car
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Fastly

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=27432408
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,704
    Was just in a zoom call with a client, and going to talk him through something on the Gov website... guess, I'll try tomorrow.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

@Malmesbury BYO is much better because company issued equipment is usually dogsh*t.

Depends on the company, we kit out everyone with a brand new MacBook Pro or Dell XPS depending on the team they sit in. It's pre configured by Apple/Dell as well which saves a lot of IT hassle.
    Jeez I’m very jealous
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,854

Taz said:

However, Michael Carberry, who played six Tests for England between 2010 and 2014, told 5 Live that Robinson "wouldn't be playing Test cricket" if it was up to him, adding: "I don't believe this is a problem where you can rehabilitate someone."

I presume he also believes criminals must all be locked up forever....as they also clearly can't be reformed.

That’s an astonishing take. How can he make that judgement. People change and their views change. I doubt Robinson was a racist when he sent the tweets.

I looked at his tweets and, as has been said here, they are juvenile at worst.

Racist tweets covers such a multitude of sins from pretty childish stuff like Ollie Robinson’s tweets to the disgusting abuse suffered by someone like Ian Wright with him being called the N word and worse. It all gets caught up in the same net and all regarded in the same light. There is no spectrum to it. It’s very sad.
    Its like the MeToo stuff....we have the full range of full on absolutely consistent long term criminal abusive behaviour lumped in with somebody once making a drunken pass or inappropriate comment.

He touched her knee...he touched her knee...cancel him, deperson him....as if it is on the same level as forcing 100s of women for sex to get roles in movies.
    Amazing what some people will do for money
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,808
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

He’s not as bad as Michael Foot

Only Cameron and Blair have made it to be PM from LOTO within the last 42 years. Nations with lower (Outside of dictatorships) turnover in that time period - PAP (Singapore), who else ?
    You need to be able to dazzle to go from LotO to PM. That’s all I ever really said, it’s tough.
    Tories don't give Ted Heath enough credit for his achievement in 1970.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502
    FF43 said:

Sandpit said:

Dura_Ace said:

The draw of the royal yacht was that it was royal, hence invitations were coveted, it offered something no other nation could, where heads of state could kick off their shoes with ours, and it therefore fulfilled a useful diplomatic purpose.

Even if it were 'royal' that doesn't make it unique. Mohammed Bin Salman's yacht is better than this thing is ever going to be.
    MBS a has a big boat that looks like every other rich guy’s big boat - even if it’s bigger than almost all of them.

A replacement for Britannia, that looks like the proposed design, is something very different, and quite unique.
    The boat has the hallmarks of the great bus designer himself: modernise a 1950s design icon and come up with something that's sort of OK, but not as good as the original was in its time, nor the best of what's available now. And costs more than it should for what you get.

They should just give the Royal Family a yacht and not attempt to justify it with trade deals or worry about sheiks with bigger boats. Monarchs have yachts.
    It looks like the boat version of Thomas the Tank Engine.

Seriously naff. Though I expect the drinks cabinet will still be superior to that of MBS.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,859

It might be willy-waving by Russia or China in advance of the G7.

Way more likely to be cockup than conspiracy.
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Sandpit said:

Yup, an outfit called Fastly apparently. Github is a victim, so I guess I won’t be doing much work until it’s fixed, as is Stackoverflow which means no developers will be doing much work until it’s fixed!
  • Options
    OK PEOPLE!

This is a time to relax, enjoy that there is no internet, no pressure to post, no political intercourse, discussions of paint, where are the aliens, what about the new royal yacht.

Oh wait...
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,180

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

The Times briefing today is an effing disgrace.

Can we have Boris on the record ASAP. As Morris and Alex have pointed out, we are doing better than even the BEST CASE Sage scenario.

Boris is on the record as saying nothing in the data to postpone the date.

Until he says otherwise I'd take anonymous briefings from "a Cabinet Minister" with an entire box of salt.
    Maybe. But if so it is shocking government discipline verging on criminal.

My guess is that a quote from a "Cabinet Minister" doesn't end up on the front page of The Times by accident and without knowledge from No.10.

They are fucking with us. Fair enough, for many this is no great surprise. But for many others it is seriously damaging to their mental health, financial situation and much else.

If they now open, distress will have been caused by this headline, if they postpone, distress will be caused because they postpone.

No doubt the PB Govt Covid Appreciation Society will cheer on whatever the govt decides and how they decide it.
    This is what too much compliance breeds. Overweening arrogance and callousness. Ministers tweet vaccination numbers excitedly, because they are excited. Not just by the protection offered, but by the astonishing levels of compliance. Look at what we can make people do!

I note that everyone is following a quote from a "Cabinet Minister".

Is this the same reliable source that told us that the Chancellor was going to do absolutely nothing in the face of the lockdown - an hour before the Chancellor stood up to announce a tidal wave of money (furlough etc)? Or a different, reliable source?
    Ah, so we can expect Number 10 to junk this story soon. That's a relief!
    Yes, its already been junked as "too early to say" (which was always the official line) and on Monday 14 June when the announcement is actually made there'll be something to say then.
    Indeed. 14th June is when a keen as mustard, agog nation will hear whether 21st June is ON or will be delayed. And a quick reminder as to how the decision will be made. There'll be 2 key questions considered:

Can it go ahead with little or no risk to the NHS? - YES/NO
    Is a delay in the personal political interests of Boris Johnson? - YES/NO

The combination of answers will then drive the outcome as follows:

YES/YES - Delay
    YES/NO - Go ahead
    NO/YES - Delay
    NO/NO - Go ahead

From this we see that it's only the 2nd question we need to answer in order to make a confident prediction.

And can we answer it? Yes, I think we can. The answer is NO. A delay (other than for trivia like a bit of masking here and there) is not in the personal political interests of Boris Johnson. There's a possible benefit to him in that it'd make him look (to some people) prudent and very very circumspect and thoughtful. But this would be outweighed by the downside. Trouble in the party. Messaging problems (since YES is the objective answer to question 1). And most importantly, loss of the long planned Joy & Relief dividend to coincide with the Summer Solstice.

So my call is - ignore the Times, it's on.
    That's pretty much exactly my view, despite ominous noises in the Times from an unnamed Cabinet Minister whose name may or may not begin with 'Micha' and end with 'el Gove'. Keep the popular guidance on WFH and masks on public transport, then ditch as much of the rest as possible.

As of 5 June, we crossed the 100 doses per 100 mark, and therefore were 81.8% of the way to Israel's level, and on course to overtake them in less than 4 weeks...
    Yep, the Times takes a breather from its war on Stonewall in order to confuse us on something else.

I think we have this right but I guess there is a chance that we haven't. Say the magnificent muscly man is very keen to do something which counteracts what he views as possible slow burn damage from that "let the bodies pile" comment. And on top of this he sees strong support amongst the all important "charity begins at home" and "many a mickle makes a muckle" and "better safe than sorry" demographic.

Might just sway it in favour of a serious and proper delay. I'd put this at 20%.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,369

No.
    My latest suit.

Hmmm. So that is the look that all the 20-something estate agents are trying for - nice to know.
    That's my sit on the train suits.

I prefer pinstripes, and plan to order a blue pinstripe suit later on this month.

Sadly I'm barred from wearing morning suits, replete with double breasted waistcoat, at work.
  • Options

In a properly secured IT environment, the phones are remotely wipeable (theft, loss) etc.

You are required to add the company mandate apps (comms etc) to the phone. Which means you have to give control of your personal phone to the company IT department - to allow them to wipe it, when they press a button.

Oh, and the control in question isn't generally segmented - they can do what they like....
    Mine pays for all charges regardless so they can do what they like with it. Bit miffed they have blocked bookmakers on my laptop mind you.
  • Options

No.
    My latest suit.

I prefer pinstripes, and plan to order a blue pinstripe suit later on this month.

Sadly I'm barred from wearing morning suits, replete with double breasted waistcoat, at work.
    Get yourself to Ascot for some relief then.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Fastly

Wow, that is a massive out.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Quite a few banks have moved completely to VMs - so the expected mode of working *was* desktop at the office, use your own machine to log in from home to check something. Laptops are/were rare.

This made lots of sense about nothing to lose on the train/in the bar, nothing to carry, no persistence of data locally etc.

In the new world?
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004
    tlg86 said:

MattW said:

Has anything been done to Theresa May's constituency?

Will she be moving on?

I get the impression that she quite enjoys being a backbench MP.

Made smaller - it's lost Hurst, Ruscombe, and the bit up to the edge of Henley.
    Henley is a strange constituency, but perhaps it just needs to be renamed? Henley is right at the border of the constituency and if you cross the Thames there then you switch to Wokingham. That is less than 500m from the centre of Henley! At the other extreme you have Elsfield which is a village to the NE of Oxford but 35km from the centre of Henley. It would make more sense to call the constituency South-East Oxfordshire or Henley and Thame.

• Options

No.
    My latest suit.

Is it bad that isn't even the most expensive suit I own?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,502

BBC Woman's Hour
    @BBCWomansHour
    'Expectations were set too high.'
    In an exclusive interview, @DidoHarding

No they effing weren't.
    For the money spent on it, the program massively underperformed.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

The thing about Ollie Robinson is that he isn't being punished but going through the process that employees around the country have to go through.

An allegation has been made and they get suspended until the investigation has been completed.

Most employees are not suspended, unless the accusation relates to dishonesty, or something equally serious.
    Our firm and many others have suspension clauses in the employee engages in bigotry or does anyone to damage the reputation of the firm.
    I'm fairly sure an Employment Tribunal would take a dim view of someone being suspended for doing something as trivial as the allegations against Ollie Robinson.

There is quite a lot of employment case law in which employers have lost unfair dismissal cases where they have tried to discipline people for things said and done outside the workplace (particularly things that were said and done ages ago).

A surprising number of employers believe the law entitles them to hire and fire people pretty much at will. Well you can - so long as you're willing to pay damages.
    Nah, he signed a contract in which he should have declared anything embarrassing from his past that would reflect badly on the ECB.

He failed to do so.
    I imagine he probably had no recollection of what he was doing or saying all those years ago.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    rpjs said:

Sandpit said:

Yup, an outfit called Fastly apparently. Github is a victim, so I guess I won’t be doing much work until it’s fixed, as is Stackoverflow which means no developers will be doing much work until it’s fixed!
    Looks like I am having an afternoon off then.....
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

No.
    My latest suit.

I've been to Ascot, not really my kind of event.

As a good Muslim boy a place where there's gambling and lots of alcohol really isn't my milieu.

I actually saw a few fights last time I went there and there were also a plethora of escorts in my hotel.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

TOPPING said:

Sandpit said:

Fastly

Wow, that is a massive out.
    Interesting that Amazon is a user. Of all people.
  • Options

No.
    My latest suit.

I would expect nothing less!
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

Can we have Boris on the record ASAP. As Morris and Alex have pointed out, we are doing better than even the BEST CASE Sage scenario.

Until he says otherwise I'd take anonymous briefings from "a Cabinet Minister" with an entire box of salt.

My guess is that a quote from a "Cabinet Minister" doesn't end up on the front page of The Times by accident and without knowledge from No.10.

They are fucking with us. Fair enough, for many this is no great surprise. But for many others it is seriously damaging to their mental health, financial situation and much else.

If they now open, distress will have been caused by this headline, if they postpone, distress will be caused because they postpone.

No doubt the PB Govt Covid Appreciation Society will cheer on whatever the govt decides and how they decide it.
    This is what too much compliance breeds. Overweening arrogance and callousness. Ministers tweet vaccination numbers excitedly, because they are excited. Not just by the protection offered, but by the astonishing levels of compliance. Look at what we can make people do!

Is this the same reliable source that told us that the Chancellor was going to do absolutely nothing in the face of the lockdown - an hour before the Chancellor stood up to announce a tidal wave of money (furlough etc)? Or a different, reliable source?
    Yes, its already been junked as "too early to say" (which was always the official line) and on Monday 14 June when the announcement is actually made there'll be something to say then.
    Indeed. 14th June is when a keen as mustard, agog nation will hear whether 21st June is ON or will be delayed. And a quick reminder as to how the decision will be made. There'll be 2 key questions considered:

YES/YES - Delay
    YES/NO - Go ahead
    NO/YES - Delay
    NO/NO - Go ahead

From this we see that it's only the 2nd question we need to answer in order to make a confident prediction.

And can we answer it? Yes, I think we can. The answer is NO. A delay (other than for trivia like a bit of masking here and there) is not in the personal political interests of Boris Johnson. There's a possible benefit to him in that it'd make him look (to some people) prudent and very very circumspect and thoughtful. But this would be outweighed by the downside. Trouble in the party. Messaging problems (since YES is the objective answer to question 1). And most importantly, loss of the long planned Joy & Relief dividend to coincide with the Summer Solstice.

That's pretty much exactly my view, despite ominous noises in the Times from an unnamed Cabinet Minister whose name may or may not begin with 'Micha' and end with 'el Gove'. Keep the popular guidance on WFH and masks on public transport, then ditch as much of the rest as possible.

As of 5 June, we crossed the 100 doses per 100 mark, and therefore were 81.8% of the way to Israel's level, and on course to overtake them in less than 4 weeks...
    Yep, the Times takes a breather from its war on Stonewall in order to confuse us on something else.

I think we have this right but I guess there is a chance that we haven't. Say the magnificent muscly man is very keen to do something which counteracts what he views as possible slow burn damage from that "let the bodies pile" comment. And on top of this he sees strong support amongst the all important "charity begins at home" and "many a mickle makes a muckle" and "better safe than sorry" demographic.

Might just sway it in favour of a serious and proper delay. I'd put this at 20%.
    I just got 11.5 with Smarkets on "yes". That's an extraordinary price. Has something concrete bee n announced?
  • Options

No.
    My latest suit.

Actually none of the suits I bought prior to 2021 fit me, which is one downside of losing weight. I might actually cry if I worked out how much they all cost.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

No.
    My latest suit.

Yes
  • Options

No.
    My latest suit.

Actually none of the suits I bought prior to 2021 fit me, which is one downside of losing weight. I might actually cry if I worked out how much they all cost.
    You do know you can get a tailor to make them smaller?
  • Options

No.
    My latest suit.

Is that just morning suits - or frock coats in general?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

YES/YES - Delay
    YES/NO - Go ahead
    NO/YES - Delay
    NO/NO - Go ahead

Did you see the YouGov poll below though? This is the sort of shit that he'll take note of. Does the poll hint that the public don't trust the vaccines? Or is this some strange form of self-flagellation?
    Yes. I'd say after such an intense and prolonged public health crisis there's an understandable overhang of anxiety and caution amongst many. This sits opposite on the seesaw to the (also understandable) chomping at the bit of others to just put this in the past now and get back to exactly as we were before it came to torment us. I reckon Johnson will plop his sizeable arse down on the latter side of the saw. Or certainly nearer to that than the other side. Might continue for a while with a WFH recommendation and masks in crowded indoor spaces. I'd be really surprised if it's more than that. And then there's the old 'law vs guidance' question. They have some scope to finesse things. Not sure how $markets are planning to settle their market. Guess you do since I believe you've had a dabble.
    I've had a dabble and a couple of top-ups.

Smarkets rules;

"This market relates to whether all legal limits on social contact in England (in the context of coronavirus restrictions) will be removed on 21 June 2021, in line with step four of the UK government's coronavirus roadmap (https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/covid-19-response-spring-2021/covid-19-response-spring-2021-summary).

If the UK government announces before 21 June 2021 that step four of the coronavirus roadmap will be delayed and not be implemented on 21 June 2021, this market will settle for no.

If step four of the coronavirus roadmap is implemented in full on 21 June 2021 as planned, this market will settle for yes."
    I think you have a good bet (at the odds I saw) on Yes.

Win more likely than loss and a probable void.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

No.
    My latest suit.

As a good Muslim boy a place where there's gambling and lots of alcohol really isn't my milieu.

I actually saw a few fights last time I went there and there were also a plethora of escorts in my hotel.
    That is a good point. There are often a few scraps at the races these days. I always (used to) advise people not to have their stag parties at the races because: breakfast 9am drink, coach to races 10-12 midday drink, arrive at races either box or tent drink, coach back 5-6pm drink pub/bar/club onwards drink.

You are on for 12-15 hours drinking.

That said I do occasionally get hammered at Cheltenham.
  • Options

No.
    My latest suit.

Both.
  • Options
    StuartinromfordStuartinromford Posts: 14,413

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

Only Cameron and Blair have made it to be PM from LOTO within the last 42 years. Nations with lower (Outside of dictatorships) turnover in that time period - PAP (Singapore), who else ?
    You need to be able to dazzle to go from LotO to PM. That’s all I ever really said, it’s tough.
    There are two possible hypotheses looking at the historical data. One is that you need to dazzle to change the government, the other is that you need to wait for the government to visibly fail before the opposition gets a look-in. They both match the historical record of the last few decades.

The interesting question is what happens if you have a bobby dazzler of a PM who is nonetheless leading a visibly failing government against a dull LotO?

Only one way to find out, I guess.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited June 2021
    Another good example of how the internet is nowhere near as decentralised as the original intentions.

It absolutely depends on a very small number of companies infrastructure.
  • Options

rpjs said:

Sandpit said:

Looks like I am having an afternoon off then.....
    There’s an awful lot of work not getting done this afternoon!
  • Options

No.
    My latest suit.

Both.
    So looking like Russell Wong in "Romeo Must Die" is out, then..... :-)
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

No.
    My latest suit.

I know but I worried I'll put it all back on once I'm back in the office.

Plus, as I said last night, buying new suits is altruistic and I'm helping the economy.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,188
    Susan Michie
    @SusanMichie
    ·
    4h
    It is with a heavy heart that I’ve opted out of sharing my health data for ’research & planning’ via my GP & via NHS digital. I am 100% committed to sharing for research but against allowing Govt this sneaky way of selling our data for private profit. #LoveTheNHS
    @keepnhspublic
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

The thing about Ollie Robinson is that he isn't being punished but going through the process that employees around the country have to go through.

An allegation has been made and they get suspended until the investigation has been completed.

Most employees are not suspended, unless the accusation relates to dishonesty, or something equally serious.
    Our firm and many others have suspension clauses in the employee engages in bigotry or does anyone to damage the reputation of the firm.
    I'm fairly sure an Employment Tribunal would take a dim view of someone being suspended for doing something as trivial as the allegations against Ollie Robinson.

There is quite a lot of employment case law in which employers have lost unfair dismissal cases where they have tried to discipline people for things said and done outside the workplace (particularly things that were said and done ages ago).

A surprising number of employers believe the law entitles them to hire and fire people pretty much at will. Well you can - so long as you're willing to pay damages.
    Nah, he signed a contract in which he should have declared anything embarrassing from his past that would reflect badly on the ECB.

He failed to do so.
    Such clauses tend to be construed narrowly. It has to be serious stuff. Otherwise, an employer could suspend/dismiss people for just about any act in their past, which they claim causes embarrassment to them. But, most employment disputes end up being settled.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

No.
    My latest suit.

That is a good point. There are often a few scraps at the races these days. I always (used to) advise people not to have their stag parties at the races because: breakfast 9am drink, coach to races 10-12 midday drink, arrive at races either box or tent drink, coach back 5-6pm drink pub/bar/club onwards drink.

I think the amount of free booze you can get via corporate hospitality is a mistake, it wasn't just 'chavs' fighthing.

I don't think the dress code helps either, men sweating in hats and three piece suits, and women showing off a bit of décolletage leading to were you perving at my bird is a toxic mix.
  • Options
    LOL, our intranet is down...
  • Options

Sandpit said:

No.
    My latest suit.

I know but I worried I'll put it all back on once I'm back in the office.

Plus, as I said last night, buying new suits is altruistic and I'm helping the economy.
    Having the old ones modified is also contributing to employment.

Plus it is an incentive to keep your gains...

And a good tailor of suits will, when taking it in, do it so that a certain re-expansion can be catered for at a later date....
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

No.
    My latest suit.

Barred or haven't got the balls to do so?
  • Options
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

YES/YES - Delay
    YES/NO - Go ahead
    NO/YES - Delay
    NO/NO - Go ahead

I just got 11.5 with Smarkets on "yes". That's an extraordinary price. Has something concrete bee n announced?
    Oh. Now I'm worried.

So the market says a 90% chance of the government announcing that Step 4 is delayed?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Oh god Stackoverflow is down. I'm really not sure what to.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

He failed to do so.
    Such clauses tend to be construed narrowly. It has to be serious stuff. Otherwise, an employer could suspend/dismiss people for just about any act in their past, which they claim causes embarrassment to them. But, most employment disputes end up being settled.
    Racism, Islamphobia, and general bigotry is serious stuff.

This is the same as not declaring your criminal record then getting caught out by a DBS.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,052
    Yesterday Trump said the solution to cyberattacks was to go back to using written records. Today much of the internet goes down...

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1401889178116362242
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited June 2021
    https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1402211318204178432

BREAKING: Major media websites go down worldwide: Financial Times, New York Times, Bloomberg News and Guardian websites have crashed for reasons unknown http://aje.io/rhj6d9
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,808
    AlistairM said:

tlg86 said:

MattW said:

Will she be moving on?

Henley is a strange constituency, but perhaps it just needs to be renamed? Henley is right at the border of the constituency and if you cross the Thames there then you switch to Wokingham. That is less than 500m from the centre of Henley! At the other extreme you have Elsfield which is a village to the NE of Oxford but 35km from the centre of Henley. It would make more sense to call the constituency South-East Oxfordshire or Henley and Thame.

Why not call it "Midsomer" ?
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,772
    Taz said:

I don’t know if it is related, probably not, but my Spotify won’t stream to my google speaker.

across the board problem: https://downdetector.co.uk/
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    PB.com now the only available site for news available!
  • Options
    MrEd said:

No.
    My latest suit.

Barred, I wore a morning suit to work on two occasions, and once to a colleague's wedding.

Made every other guy feel like tramps.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

No.
    My latest suit.

I think the amount of free booze you can get via corporate hospitality is a mistake, it wasn't just 'chavs' fighthing.

I don't think the dress code helps either, men sweating in hats and three piece suits, and women showing off a bit of décolletage leading to were you perving at my bird is a toxic mix.
    Yep a heady cocktail. Gotta love us brits.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    edited June 2021

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

No.
    My latest suit.

Some of British horse racing's biggest enthusiasts are muslims though? Their patronage and cash have been a massive boon to what was once an ailing industry.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,020
    I'm assuming it's ok to say that these lads consider themselves British rather than Scottish? With Woke England taking the knee, who are they going to support?

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,304
    alex_ said:

OGH obviously has a death-ray, or one of these...

• Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

No.
    My latest suit.

I've been to Cheltenham, Doncaster, and York for big event weeks and nothing like that happens, I think I put it down to the weather/dress code.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547

No.
    My latest suit.

What a horrifying confession. It’s tweed jacket, moleskins, and brown shoes on the train (one has been in the country) and a change into a suit and black shoes at work.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,976
    I wonder what the terribly offended at Robinson's decade old tweet would make of an actual flame board.
  • Options

I'm assuming it's ok to say that these lads consider themselves British rather than Scottish? With Woke England taking the knee, who are they going to support?

I thought not supporting your country in sport was the preserve of lefties?

What a bunch of traitors not cheering for your own country. Tossers.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited June 2021
    The outage also seems to be affecting outlets like Le Monde, which as I understand it are using different servers, so maybe it's not that. I wonder if it's China ( or Russia ) flexing some muscles.
  • Options

MrEd said:

No.
    My latest suit.

Barred, I wore a morning suit to work on two occasions, and once to a colleague's wedding.

When I was quite young, a friend who charity shopped alot found a Turnbull & Asser suit in mint condition that happened to fit me like a glove.

This actually caused a couple of people to actually say something - they were senior and a bit upset that I was outdoing their efforts.

These days - well, I have a new Paradise Lost T-shirt on today....
  • Options
    Well, they’re investigating...

• Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

No.
    My latest suit.

I've been to Cheltenham, Doncaster, and York for big event weeks and nothing like that happens, I think I put it down to the weather/dress code.
    Happens everywhere, sadly.
  • Options
    AlistairMAlistairM Posts: 2,004

AlistairM said:

tlg86 said:

MattW said:

Will she be moving on?

Why not call it "Midsomer" ?
    I think everyone would like that idea! However, you would need to take a chunk out of the Princes Risborough constituency including the village I live in (at least 5 filmings of Midsomer here).
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

No.
    My latest suit.

Happens everywhere, sadly.
    Shame.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,020
    Getting a touch of BBC smugness here..

• Options
    sladeslade Posts: 1,930
    On topic I note that Batley and Spen becomes Batley and Hipperhome ( so includes some of Kirklees and some of Calderdale).
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Well, they’re investigating...

Your call is important to them. We are investigating. Please hold the line.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,708

The outage also seems to be affecting outlets like Le Monde, which as I understand it are using different servers, so maybe it's not that. I wonder if it's China ( or Russia ) flexing some muscles.

Now we know what Trump was warning us about by wearing his pants back to front.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

No.
    My latest suit.

I sometimes think it is this, the enormous British appetite for gaudy fun especially in the summer, that is the lockdown fanatics real target.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,799
    This is it! End Of Days has arrived!

Been nice knowing you all these past 15 years!
  • Options
    https://order-order.com/2021/06/08/naz-shah-distances-herself-from-antisemitism-at-pro-palestine-rally/

To her credit Naz Shah was quick to distance herself from these signs. In a tweeted statement Naz Shah wrote:

“Over recent weeks, a small minority of individuals have been trying to infiltrate demonstrations about the situation in Palestine to spew hatred.

I was made aware that an individual at one of the rallies I spoke at, made remarks following the rally in Arabic – a language I do not speak. The individual was not a speaker but gained access to a microphone – the translation of their comments given to me are not remarks I’d ever make.

I will never shy away from using my voice to raise the plight of the Palestinian people but I will never tolerate antisemitism and I totally condemn anyone perpetrating it.”

Somehow, I doubt the Left would be sympathetic to anyone associating with racists that weren't antisemitic.
  • Options

No.
    My latest suit.

What a horrifying confession. It’s tweed jacket, moleskins, and brown shoes on the train (one has been in the country) and a change into a suit and black shoes at work.
    Well you forget I do self identify as working class.
  • Options
    Ooh...

• Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    This internet outage shows that hedge funds will do anything to avoid a short squeeze on AMC.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

No.
    My latest suit.

I sometimes think it is this, the enormous British appetite for gaudy fun especially in the summer, that is the lockdown fanatics real target.
    I think people will certainly become, and I have no doubt the govt would prefer it if we were more docile. But then after a few beers all will be forgotten.
  • Options
    MattWMattW Posts: 18,475
    DougSeal said:

I spent a year in Britain in 1993 as an early teen.

The paper subscription was

The Sun - for Dad.
    The Mail - for Mum.
    The Times - for me.

This story is probably embarrassingly revealing.

When the Indie lainched in 1985 I was an 11 year old deeply pretentious Adrian Molesque wannabe intellectual and made a point of buying it and reading it on the way to school to emphasise what an intellectual free thinker I was. It paid off to an extent because it gave me an understanding of politics (even though my school didn't offer it as a subject) that allowed me to ace the question "What Constitutes a State?" 6 years later in the Oxford Entrance Exam. Would never have got in otherwise.
    I used to read a broadsheet on the bus home sometimes.

A State is Val Policella's normal mode of existence.
  • Options

No.
    My latest suit.

No. You are perfectly well allowed to wear a tweed jacket, with otherwise your normal city attire, on Mondays and Fridays to reflect your movements.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,610
    Listeners to @BBCr4today might have heard claims about Stonewall’s position on the single sex exemptions to Equality Act 2010. The fact is that Stonewall made repeated calls for those exemptions - which allow for female-only services - to be abolished.

https://twitter.com/jameskirkup/status/1402181116220436482?s=20
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,807

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

He failed to do so.
    Racism, Islamphobia, and general bigotry is serious stuff.

This is the same as not declaring your criminal record then getting caught out by a DBS.
    Perhaps there is really awful stuff that he published that I haven't read, but what I have read seems like small beer.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    sarissa said:

Taz said:

I don’t know if it is related, probably not, but my Spotify won’t stream to my google speaker.

across the board problem: https://downdetector.co.uk/
    Hackers furious at losing their millions in Bitcoin ransom to the FBI last night now trying to take down the internet in revenge. 😂
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

MrEd said:

No.
    My latest suit.

Morning suits are a bit borderline, they tend to look hired. Much better to go with a morning coat and non matching spongebag trousers.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    TOPPING said:

No.
    My latest suit.

No. You are perfectly well allowed to wear a tweed jacket, with otherwise your normal city attire, on Mondays and Fridays to reflect your movements.
    So long as you don’t encourage dangerously subversive behaviour like slip on shoes or a dinner jacket before 1800 in town.
  • Options

Getting a touch of BBC smugness here..

No so fast, Auntie...

• Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 31,970
    edited June 2021
    BBC seems to be working. Says the problem's something to do with a cloud computing provider called Fastly.
    Which obviously at the moment isn't!

On suits as a smug retired I now have just one lounge suit, which I've worn about three times, once to a wedding and twice to funerals. The latter seem to come around more often than the former at the moment!
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    alex_ said:

Since 2005.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,983
    edited June 2021

Lawrence Fox will be cheering on the Eastern European sides against what is in his view a 'woke' England it seems so they can join him, Fox can then support Scotland against England and Rangers fans can support England against Scotland
    https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1401662521208098817?s=20
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Lawrence Fox will be cheering on the Eastern European sides against England it seems
    https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1401662521208098817?s=20
    Traitor!
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,133
    kinabalu said:

Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

TOPPING said:

YES/YES - Delay
    YES/NO - Go ahead
    NO/YES - Delay
    NO/NO - Go ahead

Oh. Now I'm worried.

So the market says a 90% chance of the government announcing that Step 4 is delayed?
    I think that's right.
  • Options
    FishingFishing Posts: 4,561

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

That's probably because he didn't do anything remotely conservative with it.

(Except taking us into the Common Market, which was Conservative at the time, but now, perhaps slightly less so).
  • Options

TOPPING said:

No.
    My latest suit.

So long as you don’t encourage dangerously subversive behaviour like slip on shoes or a dinner jacket before 1800 in town.
    LOL indeed!
  • Options
    Fishing said:

isam said:

Pulpstar said:

isam said:

That's probably because he didn't do anything remotely conservative with it.

(Except taking us into the Common Market, which was Conservative at the time, but now, perhaps slightly less so).
    His local government reforms were awesome.
This discussion has been closed.