Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Welsh look like cementing their role as the Mitch McConnell of British politics – politicalbetti

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

You’d think the big 6 clubs would be in line for a significant points deduction now. Unless the league bottles it. I just find it hard to comprehend that the fans will just forget this and go back to supporting them as normal, but they probably will and the same thing will happen again in a few years.

On what grounds would there be a points deduction?

Its a terrible idea that has been dropped, but is there any actual rule that carries points deductions as a penalty that they have broken?

Or are you just making it up as you go along?
    Well they’ve brought the game into disrepute, on a scale not seen in a generation. If the EFL have given a points deduction to Sheffield Wednesday then the big 6 will be lucky to not be relegated. They’ve proven to be crooked clubs with zero integrity and anyone who thinks they should go without severe punishment is either a blinkered big 6 fan or has no real care about the future of the game.

If there isn’t a deterrent whats to stop these rats trying it again next year?
    Sheffield Wednesday broke the financial rules which have a points penalty attached.

There is no prescribed points penalty for what the clubs did now. Maybe there should be in the future, but there isn't. There wasn't for a long time for financial irregularities and it was put in to prevent them (but they still happen).

As for what's to stop them trying it again next year - the fan backlash. Once bitten, twice shy.
    Rely on fans of those clubs? No thanks. Middlesbrough received a points deduction for calling off a game due to injuries. Protocol means it can be voted on and the league will well be within their rights to deduct points or ban them from Europe.

It’s the arrogance of some of the big 6 fans that puts people off “oh they shouldn’t be punished, our clubs made a mistake but we’re back now to save the league from the unglamorous midtable clashes”. I honestly think some armchair Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal fans live on a different planet where football just revolves around them.

Even the polling that came out yesterday suggests the majority of big 6 fans expect a severe punishment for trying to join the league. An embarrassing u turn won’t be forgotten by the other 86 IMO.
    How about rely upon the rules?

If there is a rule that carries a points deduction that applies here then that could be fair enough. If there is not then there is simply no legal reason to apply a points deduction and if done it would be overturned by the CAS.

You can't apply a points deduction without a rule to do so.
    Oh there’s a rule for everything. Points deductions were even on the table for flouting covid laws. I think most fair minded fans can agree a tough punishment is befitting the behaviour of this week, but given the haves and have nots within the league I can’t say with any confidence it will happen.
    What rule, specifically, did they break?
    B.15 In all matters and transactions relating to the League, each Club shall behave towards each other Club and the League with utmost good faith.
    So proposing working with another league is not acting in good faith?
    Proposing and dropping the proposal within 48 hours.
    I'll posit this defence next time I plan an armed robbery in great detail, purchase the firearms, scope the target, have a practice run and recruit 11 others to help.
    When I'm discovered this will be my plea.
    After 48 hours I changed my mind your honour.
    No harm no foul.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Hmm, Russian state media are trailing Putin's speech tomorrow as one of his most important and are talking about a "new era".
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,077
    edited April 2021

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

You’d think the big 6 clubs would be in line for a significant points deduction now. Unless the league bottles it. I just find it hard to comprehend that the fans will just forget this and go back to supporting them as normal, but they probably will and the same thing will happen again in a few years.

Its a terrible idea that has been dropped, but is there any actual rule that carries points deductions as a penalty that they have broken?

Well they’ve brought the game into disrepute, on a scale not seen in a generation. If the EFL have given a points deduction to Sheffield Wednesday then the big 6 will be lucky to not be relegated. They’ve proven to be crooked clubs with zero integrity and anyone who thinks they should go without severe punishment is either a blinkered big 6 fan or has no real care about the future of the game.

Sheffield Wednesday broke the financial rules which have a points penalty attached.

There is no prescribed points penalty for what the clubs did now. Maybe there should be in the future, but there isn't. There wasn't for a long time for financial irregularities and it was put in to prevent them (but they still happen).

As for what's to stop them trying it again next year - the fan backlash. Once bitten, twice shy.
    Rely on fans of those clubs? No thanks. Middlesbrough received a points deduction for calling off a game due to injuries. Protocol means it can be voted on and the league will well be within their rights to deduct points or ban them from Europe.

It’s the arrogance of some of the big 6 fans that puts people off “oh they shouldn’t be punished, our clubs made a mistake but we’re back now to save the league from the unglamorous midtable clashes”. I honestly think some armchair Man U, Liverpool, Arsenal fans live on a different planet where football just revolves around them.

Even the polling that came out yesterday suggests the majority of big 6 fans expect a severe punishment for trying to join the league. An embarrassing u turn won’t be forgotten by the other 86 IMO.

If there is a rule that carries a points deduction that applies here then that could be fair enough. If there is not then there is simply no legal reason to apply a points deduction and if done it would be overturned by the CAS.

Oh there’s a rule for everything. Points deductions were even on the table for flouting covid laws. I think most fair minded fans can agree a tough punishment is befitting the behaviour of this week, but given the haves and have nots within the league I can’t say with any confidence it will happen.
    B.15 In all matters and transactions relating to the League, each Club shall behave towards each other Club and the League with utmost good faith.
    Proposing and dropping the proposal within 48 hours.
    You continue to demonstrate "big 6" arrogance.
    Its not arrogance to be glad the proposal was dropped within 48 hours. Most fans around the country are regardless of which club they support.

You seem to have an extreme level of jealousy and vendetta that goes above and beyond seeing the proposal axed and football as we know it preserved.
    No, I just believe in fair play. Conspiring to ruin English football, dropping it because of a backlash, and then carrying on like nothing has happened isn't fair play. It's b*llocks.
    It was dropped. Thoughtcrime isn't a crime. No action was taken.

The owners of the clubs have been absolutely humiliated. Woodward has lost his job. That's what is appropriate here.
    "No action was taken".

Just listen to yourself man. This is hilarious.
    No you just listen to yourself, you sound deranged.

The plan was defeated, football won. Celebrate that and move on. There's no need to be bitter, twisted and hatefilled seeking a vendetta that goes beyond what is justified - this blew up in the face of those who proposed it without it ever coming into being. Your being a twisted wretch isn't a pretty look.
    You sound like a thief claiming he shouldn't be punished because he returned the goods after he was caught. Laughably arrogant and laughably shameless.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Brom said:

Brom said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Starting to sound like they broke a few rules! Poor big 6 eh!
    If they have then enforce the rules and the sanctions associated with those rules.

But if there's no sanctions associated with those rules, or they've not been broken, then that's that.
    I can honestly say I don’t believe you’re a football fan. You’re completely blinkered by your love of Liverpool and seem the type who would happily go along with the super league if the uproar wasn’t there.

How anyone can suggest after contravening numerous rules we should allow these clubs back with open arms and without a severe punishment beggars belief. My team was kicked out the cup last season for an incorrect submission of paperwork!

I’m sure with your £80m players and global fanbase you can cope with a one off 30 point deduction and few million fine. These huge global brands have clearly got a lot of supporters with ethics that match the owners!
    As I said if a rule has been broken with a points penalty attached to it then apply the rules.

If there's not, that's that.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,909
    Leon said:

Inter Milan have gone as well

Breaking: Inter Milan are preparing to announce they no longer want any part of the European Super League.

[via @tariqpanja]

If Barca go that leaves Real. Atletico and Juve. Three teams. That’s going to be awkward on match day. An odd number. Maybe they could have all three teams on the pitch, three goals, and three halves lasting 17 seconds each

That will attract the younger crowd

Real and Atletico could merge into FC Madrid All Stars and play Juve every Sunday night, as long as Juve promise to lose.

Job done.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,645

tlg86 said:

Won’t happen, but I think relegating the six to the Championship for next season would be suitable punishment for all this angst.

Take the damn victory and move on.
    100%. This is becoming beyond tedious. If it’s not attempting to revive an obviously dead proposal, it’s suggesting draconian punishments for thought crimes. As you say, it’s over.
    It doesn't have to be about punishment, however. Many have said there are deep issues that need resolving, which have not been addressed up to now. This may have prompted enough people to give a shit that something will happen, even though the instigating incident has ended.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    MaxPB said:

The Times saying Athletico and Barca set to leave as well. Leaving just Madrid, Juve and Inter. Perez has really fucked it.

At least he was front and centre arguing for it, however ridiculously. More balls than many of the others.

Edit: It's the 'we're stupid' defence of last resort, so endemic to politics as well, by pretending they didn't know the impact or reaction to what they wanted. Fine, if it gets them to stop, but it is insulting.
  • Options

Hmm, Russian state media are trailing Putin's speech tomorrow as one of his most important and are talking about a "new era".

Getting further messily involved in shakily justified irrendentist conflicts seems much like the current era for Russia, so perhaps it will be something exciting and fresh instead.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,945
    gealbhan said:

dixiedean said:

gealbhan said:

HYUFD said:

Andy_JS said:

As we saw earlier, the Forsa poll on this page is pretty astonishing.

https://www.wahlrecht.de/umfragen/

No surprise and only what the CDU deserve after picking the hapless Laschet over Soder.

On that poll the Greens would be largest party and the FDP up to 12% but most likely it would be a Green-SPD-Linke government on 48% combined to just 33% combined for the CDU and FDP with the AfD on 11%
    No one can form a government with the stasi, surely?
    HYUFD's only concept of coalition building is all on the Left or all on the Right.
    However that is the current governing coalition in Bremen, Berlin and Thuringia.
    I find it unlikely myself. Mostly cos the SPD desperately needs not to be a junior partner in coalition again.
    I find it hard to believe German electorate buys into the Greens manifesto and it’s costs, when push comes to shove.

What I think is driving it is reflection on Merkel and her party presiding over decline and failures, economically, in nations stature, some huge wrong calls on refugees and covid. And German electorate didn’t say good riddance to UK when we left the EU.
    The Greens aren't that radical in Germany. They have just been re-elected with an increased vote after 10 years governing Baden-Wurttemburg.
    One of the wealthier Lander. The Lander of Porsche and SAP.
    Any resemblance to our Greens is by name alone.
    Like expecting Manchester City to play like Chelmsford City.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

dixiedean said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

12 of the biggest clubs in Europe choosing to compete together in a 22 game season played midweek around their domestic and international commitments, instead of entering the UEFA midweek competitions. Has there not been some degree of hyperbole against it?

Only someone with little knowledge of football and its followers would make such a comment
    🙂

Football is changing anyway, in far worse ways than this without anyone kicking up a fuss.

The players are now cloned in factories, every single one exactly the same, no waist, broad shouldered. Their brains have been programmed by scientists. As result the game is no longer beautiful, it’s more than often sterile, frustrating stalemate, two sides scrapping over slim differentials that’s mostly getting someone booked, or diving. And interest in it is drifting away at an alarming rate because of the way it has changed.

There can be no sane comment about protecting the beautifully game, without admitting it no longer is. Another truth missing from the orgy of moralising hyperbole, what drove super league sign up wasn’t greed, but issues with debt.
    Much truth in that.
    The other is that the Champions League, whilst high technical quality is bloated, predictable and repetitive.
    club belonging to fans and communities. 😆
    the toy of a wealthy owner which is administered on his behalf by faceless functionaries. 

People own football clubs or racehorses for a number of reasons but IMO it should always be done with surplus wealth, wealth you can afford to lose. The two main reasons for ownership are that either these are competitive people who have had success elsewhere and now want to pit their wits against others in a different field, or they are wealthy people who want to have a bit of fun and show off.

Ownership in the game no longer fits this business model.

there is a way to apply a business strategy in a high risk sports venture and  you stand to get far more out of it if you put the work in and then are able to reap the rewards because it is so much more satisfying to have helped build something than just getting the credit card out and standing around waiting for people to admire you. 

most fans are primarily concerned with the first team and its management, if you break down all the different components which make up the business you will see that there are an awful lot of them to which little attention is paid and so they are ripe for malaise.

pep came out against franchise idea “if it’s not competitive it’s not proper sport” but for months he had been flagging up the debt issue at these big clubs.
    The owners came up with a solution to this. If those who reject it don’t recognise there is a problem to solutionize, this could be quite the pyrrhic victory for fans of these big clubs.

Are you listening Big G 😆. Like I don’t know football.
    My track record in football

1954 - 1960 - attended all Berwick Rangers home games

1960 -1965 - season ticket with Hibs when starting work in Edinburgh

1965 to date - Man Utd supporter, season ticket holder, and slept on the Stretford end for cup final tickets

I stand by my 67 years actively supporting football and knowing its fans

You have rejected the solution to the debt problem at your club. Do you have another solution?
    It was not a solution - it was greed and elitism that any fan would reject

And it would have destroyed the Premier League and football across the UK including in Scotland and Wales

And I really do not care about the Glaziers debt when the club is worth a billion or more
    Competing in a franchise in place of UEFA competitions, whilst fulfilling domestic rules and obligations, how does that destroy the premier league? It’s not that UEFA are defending the current midweek system, can’t see its faults (such as too many matches no one wants to see) and have no plans to change it.

Nor that 12 big teams in two pools of 6, 10 games and then play offs to decide 12 to 1 would have been completely unwatchable and without a world wide audience? You can’t rule out it actually happening anyway, under the UEFA theme tune.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 46,853
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Of course it is. They've clearly devalued the Premier League TV rights, even if the league doesn't go ahead, and they've actively conspired to devalue the League as a sporting institution.
    Hmmm. There's a lot of wishful thinking there.

Personally, I think they've managed to massively disadvantage clubs relative to the league, because the threat of leaving has just been proved to be an empty one.

The league is strengthened, and the clubs hands' weakened.
    Yes exactly. The English Premier League is now stronger than ever, and more dominant. Because the clubs within it are weaker and no rival ‘Superleague’ will be attempted for years (and won’t include EPL teams because the UKG will change football law so it can’t happen without approval and dialogue)

This is great for the EPL but bad in the long term, for European football. The answer really is regional leagues. Spain plus Portugal. Benelux. Etc
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,027
    Statement from ESL:

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,095
    tlg86 said:

tlg86 said:

Won’t happen, but I think relegating the six to the Championship for next season would be suitable punishment for all this angst.

Take the damn victory and move on.
    100%. This is becoming beyond tedious. If it’s not attempting to revive an obviously dead proposal, it’s suggesting draconian punishments for thought crimes. As you say, it’s over.
    It was an attempted coup. The penalty should be severe.
    No, no, no - we aren't settling this on penalties!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    "Chad’s president Idriss Déby dies ‘on battlefield’, military says"

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/20/chad-president-idriss-deby-dies-military-says
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Statement from ESL:

Typos and all? What a classy outfit they were.....

EDIT And what the fuck is this "European law" you think makes it all fine and dandy? Have you not heard - we left....
  • Options

That "new era" following the "death by hunger-strike" of someone who would have deposed him in free and fair elections?
  • Options

Statement from ESL:

EDIT And what the fuck is this "European law" you think makes it all fine and dandy? Have you not heard - we left....
    Do you have to make everything about Brexit?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,961

Statement from ESL:

He has a point. If half the clubs were from England, surely it is equally important it is aligned with English laws.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826

Statement from ESL:

Taking back control.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    RobD said:

Statement from ESL:

He has a point. If half the clubs were from England, surely it is equally important it is aligned with English laws.
    It depends on what law the parties agreed to govern their contract. In all likelihood it references various European frameworks, I imagine...

And of course UEFA is subject to Swiss law.

This is just @Leon's Strasbourg derangement syndrome in the reverse. You don't have to start frothing at the very mention of the word "Europe" you know.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    Leon said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Brom said:

Of course it is. They've clearly devalued the Premier League TV rights, even if the league doesn't go ahead, and they've actively conspired to devalue the League as a sporting institution.
    Hmmm. There's a lot of wishful thinking there.

Personally, I think they've managed to massively disadvantage clubs relative to the league, because the threat of leaving has just been proved to be an empty one.

The league is strengthened, and the clubs hands' weakened.
    Yes exactly. The English Premier League is now stronger than ever, and more dominant. Because the clubs within it are weaker and no rival ‘Superleague’ will be attempted for years (and won’t include EPL teams because the UKG will change football law so it can’t happen without approval and dialogue)

This is great for the EPL but bad in the long term, for European football. The answer really is regional leagues. Spain plus Portugal. Benelux. Etc
    Oh silly.

Let’s start with the basics. No one can be against change, there has to be change, and managed well. So things are going to change anyway. There will be a smaller premier league (burn out of internationals will dictate this) and a different UEFA format engineering more clashes between the bigger clubs (that these are the ones marketable will drive this).

I don’t want to come over all 3 2 1 but let’s look at what you have rejected, knowing the dusty bin change now remains an option you end up with.

Money. You have rejected the format most geared for generating money for the world of football, and the eye watering debts post covid.

Two groups of super six, ending in play offs to decide 12 placing, so only the most marketable matches people around the world want to see, it’s potential to make much more money than the present midweek euro competition these teams play in, and this money can go into the whole football community, not just the participating clubs. So using the word greed was just hyperbole and lies.

It’s not a replacement for the premier league, it doesn’t hurt premier league at all, that’s just hyperbole. It’s replacement for the failing current UEFA format, that’s going to be shaken up into something similar to this anyway,

Another way what was proposed superior to what you may now get, knowing the final top 12 in order by avoiding of knock out draw is far stronger format for crowning the better sides, than the vagaries of current Champions League structure.

There had been too much hyperbole against it. Rebelling without a cause.
  • Options

RobD said:

Statement from ESL:

It depends on what law the parties agreed to govern their contract. In all likelihood it references various European frameworks, I imagine...

And of course UEFA is subject to Swiss law.

This is just @Leon's Strasbourg derangement syndrome in the reverse. You don't have to start frothing at the very mention of the word "Europe" you know.
    "Various European frameworks"? Well, that is a horror story in itself. There is no "European law". There is the law of the European Union - but (my point being) that now wasn't going to have supremacy over the laws of England if Westminster chose to legislate to intercede and block. Notwithstanding what a Spanish court may have said.

It's about Brexit because....Brexit.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,470
    edited April 2021
    "Two-thirds of London workers want return to office, exclusive survey reveals

But most favour free, rapid Covid tests and many have worries over busy trains

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/two-thirds-london-workers-want-return-office-b930657.html
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    edited April 2021

The inside story of how the ESL was announced and unannounced will be fascinating....the only problem is now UEFA are even more powerful and we can all get excited for if your team will make the crucial 24th spot in order to qualify for the playoff of the CL.

As with vaccines we await the pronouncements of the EU on the ESL in around 3 months?.............
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,848
    edited April 2021
    felix said:

The inside story of how the ESL was announced and unannounced will be fascinating....the only problem is now UEFA are even more powerful and we can all get excited for if your team will make the crucial 24th spot in order to qualify for the playoff of the CL.

As with vaccines we await the pronouncements of the EU on the ESL in around 3 months?.............
    They’ll say it’s a wonderful idea scuppered by the British, then say it’s a disgraceful power grab by mostly British clubs to take over European football.
  • Options
    kjhkjh Posts: 10,573

Statement from ESL:

Not everything is about Brexit. Do you look for a Brexit angle to everything. If the EU didn't exist do you think that every international contract would only reference English law? Has the UK left Europe as well as the EU?
This discussion has been closed.