Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The Welsh look like cementing their role as the Mitch McConnell of British politics – politicalbetti

Comments

• Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,960
    tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

Super League in ruins:

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/status/1384617692754292737

LOL.

How fast was that?

Was it the Rashford intervention that killed it.

Premature. Only City are out. That the rest are still thinking about this tells us that it’s not straightforward. This wasn’t a bluff. They want(ed) to do this.
    IF Chelsea have lied merely to disperse tonight's pitchfork wielders then I shudder to think of the scenes at next home game...
    That thought occurred to me earlier.
    Sheer fantasy.

Give it up FFS.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    ESLexit
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,593

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:
    That is 99.9% effective in the real world in preventing hospitalisation. Just incredible, way higher than expected.
    No paywall on the MSN link.

Now this IS a big story.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/medical/exclusive-just-32-people-in-hospital-with-covid-after-having-vaccination/ar-BB1fRxKr

Early findings show that of 74,405 Covid-19 cases admitted to hospitals between September and March, just 32 had received a vaccine at least three weeks before.

Kaboom!
    It is good news, but a rather odd summary. Pfizer vaccination started in the first week of Dec, so to add three weeks takes efficacy to end Dec, with AZN plus 3 weeks to end Jan for the very first patients. So why include September to December in the numbers? There would be a few thousand trial patients, but otherwise no treatment group. The January, February and March figures would be more meaningful.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited April 2021

Despite those on here who wish to give Boris prime credit for killing the ESL, it looks to me like it's stone dead mainly because of a searing rebellion by managers (some), players (most) and (legacy) fans (all). It's remarkably inept that this wasn't foreseen, and that players and managers weren't got on board in advance of the announcement.

Credit to the government for opposing it; any government in this country would have done the same, whatever colour. Rarely is the HoC so united (or should that be city?).

I have a feeling tin ear May wouldn't have been so quick out the blocks, while Jezza would be passing a law to nationize all the teams.
    You may be right. But my point really was that I think if the government had said absolutely nothing the plan would still be dead in the water anyway, given the backlash from fans, players and (some) managers.
    Oh I am sure, as I said downthread Boris a lucky general, but also he does have an instinct for these kind of things. May would have pontificated, muttered about process and such like and eventually probably got there.
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,199
    IanB2 said:

Super League in ruins:

LOL.

How fast was that?

Betting Tip: next Labour PM
    Rashford is 23.

Blair was the youngest person to become PM, aged 43.

That's quite bearish on the time to next Labour Prime Minister.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1384624005571825664?s=20

Simon Stone
    @sistoney67
    ·
    4m
    Understand the remaining four English clubs will formally withdraw from Super League this evening.

All done.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

https://twitter.com/chrisvanderveen/status/1384616345262776322

The original police statement about Floyd's murder

Think of all the similar cases where there wasn't a video of what happened.
    Tennessee police shot a 17 year old at a school a few days ago. They said the kid shot a police officer. So it was presented as heroic police stop killing spree at school.

A 2 day later it turns out the officer shot himself whilst drawing his gun.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204

tlg86 said:

dixiedean said:

tlg86 said:

Super League in ruins:

LOL.

How fast was that?

Premature. Only City are out. That the rest are still thinking about this tells us that it’s not straightforward. This wasn’t a bluff. They want(ed) to do this.
    IF Chelsea have lied merely to disperse tonight's pitchfork wielders then I shudder to think of the scenes at next home game...
    That thought occurred to me earlier.
    Sheer fantasy.

Give it up FFS.
    "Plans for a breakaway European Super League were left in tatters after Chelsea and Manchester City began preparing documentation to withdraw from the competition.

The rest of the 12 clubs appear set to join them with Ed Woodward resigning as Manchester United's executive vice-chairman. "

Telegraph live blog
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Simon Stone
    @sistoney67
    ·
    4m
    Understand the remaining four English clubs will formally withdraw from Super League this evening.

All done.

Quelle surprise.
  • Options
    LeonLeon Posts: 47,076
    MaxPB said:

Simon Stone
    @sistoney67
    ·
    4m

All done.

Don’t fuck with England and English Football. Huzzah

• Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,571
    MaxPB said:
    32 too many I'm afraid. We need to continue the lockdown for another 10 years at least.
  • Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:
    32 too many I'm afraid. We need to continue the lockdown for another 10 years at least.
    The "science" suggests we need to avoid mass gatherings at six very specific locations......everything else is fine.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    Back to normal; nothing to see here.
  • Options

Leon said:

I’m pretty certain no English club could now join the Satan League

There would be riots outside the grounds. What are Liverpool thinking, dragging this out???

However it is possible there could be a continental superleague. Spain, Italy, some smaller countries?

Regional consolidation of leagues makes most sense for all involved. Just merge Spain and Portugal and you have a great league. Similarly add Dutch and Belgian clubs to the French league and it suddenly looks a whole lot better.
    Absolutely. I’ve always thought that’s the answer. A British Isles league with Celtic and Rangers in the Prem

Maybe add Scandinavia to that
  • Options

Leon said:

There would be riots outside the grounds. What are Liverpool thinking, dragging this out???

However it is possible there could be a continental superleague. Spain, Italy, some smaller countries?

Regional consolidation of leagues makes most sense for all involved. Just merge Spain and Portugal and you have a great league. Similarly add Dutch and Belgian clubs to the French league and it suddenly looks a whole lot better.
    For tiny countries, Belgium and the Netherlands produce outstanding numbers of excellent footballers. For example there were more Belgians than English players in the Leicester City starting line up in our last PL game.

Their system is a much better one for youth development. Partly it is better youth coaching, but also it is a system that young players get match experience too.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Leon said:

Scotland and England :smiley:
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    "Liverpool Football Club can confirm that our involvement in proposed plans to form a European Super League has been discontinued.

In recent days, the club has received representations from various key stakeholders, both internally and externally, and we would like to thank them for their valuable contributions."

Hilarious statement.
  • Options
    Leon said:

Leon said:

Absolutely. I’ve always thought that’s the answer. A British Isles league with Celtic and Rangers in the Prem

No way. Fans need to travel to away games. Respect national footballing traditions.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,955
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

For tiny countries, Belgium and the Netherlands produce outstanding numbers of excellent footballers. For example there were more Belgians than English players in the Leicester City starting line up in our last PL game.

Their system is a much better one for youth development. Partly it is better youth coaching, but also it is a system that young players get match experience too.
    Sure I read of a proposed league of 10 Dutch and 8 Belgian teams.
    Here it is.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/bene-league-belgium-dutch-football-clubs-b924537.html?amp
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,189
    Won’t happen, but I think relegating the six to the Championship for next season would be suitable punishment for all this angst.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

No way. Fans need to travel to away games. Respect national footballing traditions.
    Glasgow is a darn sight closer to Newcastle than London is.
  • Options

Leon said:

Indeed, we could have a referendum on it.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

IanB2 said:

Super League in ruins:

LOL.

How fast was that?

Rashford is 23.

What makes people convinced Rashford is a Labour supporter?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

They also don't have rugby or cricket competing in the same talent pool.
  • Options
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Won’t happen, but I think relegating the six to the Championship for next season would be suitable punishment for all this angst.

At least they'll be openly mocked for the foreseeable and have demonstrated that their bargaining position isn't as big as they thought it was. Bodes well for the future.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:
    I know you are being sarky but some on here aren’t far away

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:
    That is 99.9% effective in the real world in preventing hospitalisation. Just incredible, way higher than expected.

Now this IS a big story.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/health/medical/exclusive-just-32-people-in-hospital-with-covid-after-having-vaccination/ar-BB1fRxKr

Early findings show that of 74,405 Covid-19 cases admitted to hospitals between September and March, just 32 had received a vaccine at least three weeks before.

Kaboom!
    If this is anything like accurate then Government attempts to try to keep masks, impose vaxports and retain any other restrictions past the Summer will become even more difficult and unpopular. At that juncture the remaining vulnerable population will effectively consist only of unvaccinated adults, the overwhelming majority of whom will be stick-in-the-mud refusers. Any attempts to subject the population at large to any kind of nonsense just to save their arses will be met with the rejoinder "Let them die if they want to." We may finally see an end to the endless emergency after all.
    I wonder what percentage of refusers we’ll end up with? It’s about 20% in Israel I believe.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,871

Leon said:

We will not lower or levels I am afraid
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Celtic and Rangers are great teams that would LOVE to be in the British Premier League. And we are one country. Still. Much as you wish it otherwise
  • Options
    Arsenal playing the “we didn’t want to get left behind; it was t really our idea.” card.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

IanB2 said:

Super League in ruins:

LOL.

How fast was that?

Rashford is 23.

What makes people convinced Rashford is a Labour supporter?
    He has always maintained he is not associated with any political party
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,964

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Train Journey time wise there can't be anything in it...
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Here it is.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/bene-league-belgium-dutch-football-clubs-b924537.html?amp
    A Benelux league not quite so daft, but adding in France?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    "the boat was stuck in the Suez Canal longer than the Super League lasted"

https://twitter.com/_beccawright/status/1384579895884349443
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,603

dixiedean said:

eek said:

Despite those on here who wish to give Boris prime credit for killing the ESL, it looks to me like it's stone dead because of a searing rebellion by managers (some), players (most) and (legacy) fans (all). It's remarkably inept that this wasn't foreseen, and that players and managers weren't got on board in advance of the announcement.

Credit to the government for opposing it; any government in this country would have done the same, whatever colour. Rarely is the HoC so united (or should that be city?).

It's nice to see the HoC win their spurs without revealing what was actually in the legislative arsenal.
    They had to look Inter it. Or there would have been Real trouble.
    Man U have really had to dig deep for those puns.
    Nice to see the PB punners Pool their resources.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

National boundaries are arbitrary anyway. Portugal might easily have ended up part of Spain, what difference does it really make where the boundary is? Whereas a league with Real Madrid, Barcelona, Atletico Madrid, Porto, Lisbon, Benfica, Sevilla and Valencia sounds fantastic.
  • Options
    “England has saved herself by her exertions, and will now, I trust, save Europe by her example”
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

We sometimes tend to forget that the entire UK is, in any event, not terribly big in the grand scheme of things. Getting to London from Edinburgh or vice versa is a bit of a trek but it's not exactly New York to LA.
  • Options
    Leon said:

MaxPB said:

Simon Stone
    @sistoney67
    ·
    4m

All done.

Don’t fuck with England and English Football. Huzzah

Leon said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

Celtic and Rangers are great teams that would LOVE to be in the British Premier League. And we are one country. Still. Much as you wish it otherwise
    Err...🤔
  • Options
    12 of the biggest clubs in Europe choosing to compete together in a 22 game season played midweek around their domestic and international commitments, instead of entering the UEFA midweek competitions. Has there not been some degree of hyperbole against it?
  • Options
    At least Liverpool will be able to focus on countering the deadly pace, vision, and clinical passing ability of Jonjo Shelvey on Saturday.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Leon said:

We sometimes tend to forget that the entire UK is, in any event, not terribly big in the grand scheme of things. Getting to London from Edinburgh or vice versa is a bit of a trek but it's not exactly New York to LA.
    Indeed, Edinburgh is closer to London than Jacksonville FL is to Key West FL.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

12 of the biggest clubs in Europe choosing to compete together in a 22 game season played midweek around their domestic and international commitments, instead of entering the UEFA midweek competitions. Has there not been some degree of hyperbole against it?

Only someone with little knowledge of football and its followers would make such a comment
  • Options
    Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Here it is.

The French league is only going to get more and more boring with PSG dominating. Action is needed, either equalise the finances so that Marseille, Lyons, Lille et al have chances or bring in Ajax, Feyenood, Anderlecht and PSV.
  • Options
    Floater said:
    Isn't St George's day a big deal in Russia?
  • Options

At least Liverpool will be able to focus on countering the deadly pace, vision, and clinical passing ability of Jonjo Shelvey on Saturday.

They may still be rather discombobulated, as Chelsea were tonight.

Leicester would like 3 points of West Brom on Thursady. I expect that suits you too.
  • Options
    We dunnit

The European Super League has been suspended #mulive [@SkySport]
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Club Sport vs Franchise Entertainment. This country, and indeed all of Europe prefers the former, the US and most of Asia prefer the latter.
  • Options

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Here it is.

The French league is only going to get more and more boring with PSG dominating. Action is needed, either equalise the finances so that Marseille, Lyons, Lille et al have chances or bring in Ajax, Feyenood, Anderlecht and PSV.
    PSG are not even top of Ligue 1! Although they probably will be after their game in hand.
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,204
    Leon said:

We dunnit

The European Super League has been suspended #mulive [@SkySport]

Ah LOL. 48 hours at most.

• Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Now this IS a big story.

Kaboom!
    If this is anything like accurate then Government attempts to try to keep masks, impose vaxports and retain any other restrictions past the Summer will become even more difficult and unpopular. At that juncture the remaining vulnerable population will effectively consist only of unvaccinated adults, the overwhelming majority of whom will be stick-in-the-mud refusers. Any attempts to subject the population at large to any kind of nonsense just to save their arses will be met with the rejoinder "Let them die if they want to." We may finally see an end to the endless emergency after all.
    I wonder what percentage of refusers we’ll end up with? It’s about 20% in Israel I believe.
    5-10% is my guess for the UK
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Here it is.

Boring? 5 games to play.

Lille 70 points
    PSG 69
    Monaco 68
    Lyon 67
  • Options

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Here it is.

Someone needs to invest in one of the other Paris clubs, eg Red Star or Paris FC, produce a proper counterweight to the odious PSG.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    Leon said:

“England has saved herself by her exertions, and will now, I trust, save Europe by her example”

Wrong avatar @Leon, surely you meant this one:

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

Leon said:

This wretched Superleague is STILL ALIVE?!

(I have been driving to Dorset...)

Nah, it's dead. There's simply no way it survives without City and Chelsea who will both move to expel the other four from the EPL with the other 14 now which means Spurs will be forced into giving up.

The lasting result from this will be the slow exit of American investors from English football now that they know there is no chance of "reforming" it to suit their no relegation model they want to import from their homeland.
    Where do the billions come from once they are gone? China?
    What billions? Arsenal, Liverpool and Man United are all profitable clubs. Kroenke and Glazer are both a huge net drain on their clubs, it won't be long until FSG start taking dividends either.
    In one decade FSG took over a club that was on the brink of bankruptcy with the banks calling in their loans, have managed to turn around the finances, rather clear the debts, turn around the fortunes on the field, win the league and build an impressive upgrade to Anfield's Main Stand.

If they start taking dividends I won't begrudge them a penny. They will quite frankly have deserved it - but unlike the Kroenkes and Glazers of the League, FSG seem to understand that the best way of improving their wealth is not to sweat their asset extracting whatever revenues they can - instead it is to improve and upgrade the club so its worth even more than it was. They've done a great job at that both on and off the field.

They've screwed up here, but its being reversed rapidly. So be it. When people don't reverse from mistakes is when its a bigger issue.
  • Options
    I think this new league is in trouble, TBH

🚨 AC Milan out of proposed European Super League @TheAthleticUK #ACMilan #europesuperleague #esl
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

dixiedean said:

Foxy said:

Leon said:

Here it is.

Boring? 5 games to play.

Lille 70 points
    PSG 69
    Monaco 68
    Lyon 67
    That is only because Neymar is so bored of it he gets himself sent off to miss the games he isnt pretending to be injured for.
  • Options
    Amongst all the news, can we give some credit to Theresa May’s PR lady, who has shown it wasn’t just a one-off, by now repeating her amazing work, this time with Superleague.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Take the damn victory and move on.
  • Options

gealbhan said:

Only someone with little knowledge of football and its followers would make such a comment
    🙂

Football is changing anyway, in far worse ways than this without anyone kicking up a fuss.

The players are now cloned in factories, every single one exactly the same, no waist, broad shouldered. Their brains have been programmed by scientists. As result the game is no longer beautiful, it’s more than often sterile, frustrating stalemate, two sides scrapping over slim differentials that’s mostly getting someone booked, or diving. And interest in it is drifting away at an alarming rate because of the way it has changed.

There can be no sane comment about protecting the beautifully game, without admitting it no longer is. Another truth missing from the orgy of moralising hyperbole, what drove super league sign up wasn’t greed, but issues with debt.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    The inside story of how the ESL was announced and unannounced will be fascinating....the only problem is now UEFA are even more powerful and we can all get excited for if your team will make the crucial 24th spot in order to qualify for the playoff of the CL.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,658
    Leon said:

Amongst all the news, can we give some credit to Theresa May’s PR lady, who has shown it wasn’t just a one-off, by now repeating her amazing work, this time with Superleague.

Good spot!
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

🙂

Football is changing anyway, in far worse ways than this without anyone kicking up a fuss.

The players are now cloned in factories, every single one exactly the same, no waist, broad shouldered. Their brains have been programmed by scientists. As result the game is no longer beautiful, it’s more than often sterile, frustrating stalemate, two sides scrapping over slim differentials that’s mostly getting someone booked, or diving. And interest in it is drifting away at an alarming rate because of the way it has changed.

There can be no sane comment about protecting the beautifully game, without admitting it no longer is. Another truth missing from the orgy of moralising hyperbole, what drove super league sign up wasn’t greed, but issues with debt.
    Hey, I agree with nearly all of this. Not sure where you were going with the cloning bit (have you seen Lionel Messi?) but you are absolutely correct that the game really doesn't have much further to fall and the fans are completely delusional if they think this means they suddenly matter again.
  • Options
    Michael Caley
    @MC_of_A
    according to Mundo Deportivo, the PL clubs have been offered capital investments from UEFA (presumably this is the big loan reported earlier) in exchange for withdrawing from the Super League
  • Options
    edited April 2021

Michael Caley
    @MC_of_A
    according to Mundo Deportivo, the PL clubs have been offered capital investments from UEFA (presumably this is the big loan reported earlier) in exchange for withdrawing from the Super League

So not even principalled withdrawal....all about the money. I wonder if Barcelona get "investment" equal to the loan repayments they need to make shortly?

Maybe we will see this stupid CL plan get amended after all.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,065
    Leon said:

Perhaps JPMorgan took advice from their advisor the football expert Tony Blair.
  • Options
    Michael Bociurkiw
    @WorldAffairsPro
    Russian President Putin to deliver speech to Russian federal assembly on Wed. According to one Russian-language site he will push for legal recognition of areas currently occupied by Russian-backed fighters. In past 2 years 650K+ Russia passports issued to Donbas residents
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

🙂

Much truth in that.
    The other is that the Champions League, whilst high technical quality is bloated, predictable and repetitive.
  • Options

Michael Caley
    @MC_of_A

So not even principalled withdrawal....all about the money. I wonder if Barcelona get "investment" equal to the loan repayments they need to make shortly?

That doesn't make any sense as the PL clubs won't want capital investments - the owners wanted more money over a long period.

But given that paper's readership how f**ked are Barcelona and by extension Real Madrid by the failure of this league.

Remember Spanish football is now shown on FreeSport as neither Sky or BT thought it worth paying for...
  • Options
    Apparently the clubs took fright at the legislative onslaught being prepared by the government and the potential threat of a windfall tax.

Looks like Boris won it. Hope the Kop are in good voice...
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

The inside story of how the ESL was announced and unannounced will be fascinating....the only problem is now UEFA are even more powerful and we can all get excited for if your team will make the crucial 24th spot in order to qualify for the playoff of the CL.

I liked the analogy (I can't remember who made it) with a failed military coup - they didn't lock up the president, the didn't park their tanks in front of the government buildings, they didn't get to the TV station and take control of broadcasting.

They stuck out a flimsy statement in the dead of Sunday night and then did nothing else until they all pulled out. Baffling.
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,378
    edited April 2021
    Leon said:

We know you don't know much about this, but you do realise this lady also worked for Boris Johnson in the past including his mayoral campaigns?

In fact looking at her CV she's worked longer for Boris Johnson in various roles than she did for Mrs May.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

🙂

I think there are fewer nil nil draws and one nil matches than previous generations. The technical expertise on display is far better too.

One thing that we could usefully re-learn from German football is cheap tickets and safe standing.
  • Options
    Leon said:

🚨 AC Milan out of proposed European Super League @TheAthleticUK #ACMilan #europesuperleague #esl

Big G and Tlg86 will pop up shortly to tell you it’s still alive
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

🙂

Much truth in that.
    The other is that the Champions League, whilst high technical quality is bloated, predictable and repetitive.
    Problem is a knock out competition which is what supporters want (the business end of the competition) doesn't provide enough matches to generate serious TV money
  • Options

Michael Bociurkiw
    @WorldAffairsPro
    Russian President Putin to deliver speech to Russian federal assembly on Wed. According to one Russian-language site he will push for legal recognition of areas currently occupied by Russian-backed fighters. In past 2 years 650K+ Russia passports issued to Donbas residents

Russia is invading the Ukraine one way or another
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

IanB2 said:

Super League in ruins:

LOL.

How fast was that?

Rashford is 23.

William Pitt was quite a bit younger than that.
  • Options

Michael Caley
    @MC_of_A

It will be interesting to see the final package from Uefa. I suspect there will be a compromise solution in there, but I’m not sure. We’ll see.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    How bizarre. Boris is getting mucho love from non-British football fans.

‘GOD BLESS BORIS’

https://twitter.com/hojbjergx/status/1384627647611875329?s=21

https://twitter.com/mufcnico/status/1384628210755899393?s=21

‘The Super League died the moment Boris said No’

https://twitter.com/nketsiah__/status/1384632601118494721?s=21

Der Boris #Johnson bekommt das #impfen hin verhindert die #SuperLeague

Baut dem Mann ein Denkmal!

#NoToSuperLeague

Lots more like that
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

🙂

Much truth in that.
    It may be bloated but its like the FA Cup - its good that clubs from minor leagues across Europe have a chance (like non-league clubs in the FA Cup) to compete with the big boys from the big leagues.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    eek said:

Michael Caley
    @MC_of_A

That doesn't make any sense as the PL clubs won't want capital investments - the owners wanted more money over a long period.

But given that paper's readership how f**ked are Barcelona and by extension Real Madrid by the failure of this league.

Remember Spanish football is now shown on FreeSport as neither Sky or BT thought it worth paying for...
    Sky used to push la liga really hard, back to back live games, in depth coverage, a lot more than just doing the low budget rebroadcast a stream that channels will do for cheap content e.g. various channels tried that with MLB over the years.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,571

I still think this may be part of some sort of master plan, most of which we don't understand. I can't believe they're that stupid.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,917
    edited April 2021
    TimT said:

Andy_JS said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Now this IS a big story.

Kaboom!
    5-10% is my guess for the UK
    Refusal in Israel is about 14%, pretty much mathematically impossible for it to be 20%.

Age structure
    0–14 years 27.3% https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_Israel

One dose, "our world in data" 61.89

Their own dashboard
    https://datadashboard.health.gov.il/COVID-19/general?utm_source=go.gov.il&utm_medium=referral

90+ 98.9%
    80-89 95.6%
    70-79 98.1%
    60-69 89.7%
    50-59 88.5%
    40-49 83.9%
    30-39 79.8%
    20-29 75.5%
    10-19 21.9%

Paediatric approval is needed for "the herd" in Israel.
  • Options
    eek said:

Michael Bociurkiw
    @WorldAffairsPro

Dynamo Kiev and Shakhtar would strengthen their league.
  • Options

Leon said:

Big G and Tlg86 will pop up shortly to tell you it’s still alive
    You are at times quite ridiculous

Only when the six clubs confirmed their withdrawal was the matter officially over

You claim knowing it all along but that is hyperbole as it was the likeliest outcome but far from certain
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

🙂

Much truth in that.
    The EL even more so. The 8 third place CL teams should not go into the EL.

If they want to show more CL games, then stop scheduling them simultaneously.
  • Options
    YokesYokes Posts: 1,200
    edited April 2021
    Ukraine: There are rumours Putin's speech to the Russian parliament tomorrow will set another hare running.

Fans can knock on about greed all they like but a lot of them spend a tremendous amount of time talking about attracting overseas owners with tons of cash to waste & moan that the owners they do have don't spend enough.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

gealbhan said:

gealbhan said:

🙂

Much truth in that.
    It may be bloated but its like the FA Cup - its good that clubs from minor leagues across Europe have a chance (like non-league clubs in the FA Cup) to compete with the big boys from the big leagues.
    Well. I didn't say it was all bad.
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    eek said:

Michael Bociurkiw
    @WorldAffairsPro

Agreed. It's starting to look inevitable.

Another hot war in Europe...
  • Options

tlg86 said:

100%. This is becoming beyond tedious. If it’s not attempting to revive an obviously dead proposal, it’s suggesting draconian punishments for thought crimes. As you say, it’s over.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

Michael Bociurkiw
    @WorldAffairsPro

It’s the Sudetenland strategy all over again
  • Options
    edited April 2021

eek said:

Michael Bociurkiw
    @WorldAffairsPro

Agreed. It's starting to look inevitable.

Another hot war in Europe...
    Not really - I think the plan is to build a solid route from Russia to the Crimea (Donbas) and for the moment to leave the rest alone.

Then issue passports to anyone who wants it in the bordering regions and do the same again.
  • Options
    Leon said:

How bizarre. Boris is getting mucho love from non-British football fans.

‘GOD BLESS BORIS’

https://twitter.com/hojbjergx/status/1384627647611875329?s=21

https://twitter.com/mufcnico/status/1384628210755899393?s=21

‘The Super League died the moment Boris said No’

https://twitter.com/nketsiah__/status/1384632601118494721?s=21

Der Boris #Johnson bekommt das #impfen hin verhindert die #SuperLeague

Baut dem Mann ein Denkmal!

#NoToSuperLeague

Lots more like that

Yes, I expect the government to bask in some kind of glory on this. It does, from the outside, look as if the legislative and tax threats made a difference for the six English clubs. Boris saved football will become a meme.
  • Options
    One thing I have to say is while I'm glad he's been convicted of all counts, there's a part of me that does feel sorry for Chauvin.

He won't have intended to go to work and to kill someone. He did and he needs to be held to account for that, but its a horrible situation.

Also he surely must spend his sentence in protective isolation. Former Police Officers aren't generally safe in Gen Pop anyway, but there is no way whatsoever the killer of George Floyd can be safe in Gen Pop. He'd be shivved within a week.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

100%. This is becoming beyond tedious. If it’s not attempting to revive an obviously dead proposal, it’s suggesting draconian punishments for thought crimes. As you say, it’s over.
    It was an attempted coup. The penalty should be severe.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

I disagree. They've brought the entire league into disrepute. There should be some form of punishment.
This discussion has been closed.