Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The final battle of WH2020 – the Georgia run-off for two senate seats – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Alistair said:

Looks like the Supreme Court is keeping the ACA

https://twitter.com/jedshug/status/1326190602590048256

They are hammering Texas on both Standing and severability. That is a full on massacre.

So the Supremes are going to uphold Obamacare but sign off on a Republican coup, are they?

I foresee some very, very angry tweets a-coming.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    7,000 votes reported in AZ a few minutes ago - Biden 48, Trump 52.

Biden now leads by 14,468 with a max of 48,788 still to count - implying Trump needs 65% of remaining votes.

https://alex.github.io/nyt-2020-election-scraper/battleground-state-changes.html
  • Options
    isam said:

Pence in 230 points, 770 to lay

It is the same issue as with Kamala Harris. Mike Pence might well be the next President of the United States of America if Trump resigns (presumably in exchange for a pardon) but this is not what the misnamed Betfair market will be settled on.

However, now that Pence is being traded, traders and trading bots can make money on the price fluctuations.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,745

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:
    Now if it had been Macron then Boris, some journalists would he banging on about it for weeks, months, years...
    It's funny how the order in which Biden called European leaders really mattered right up until the point he called Boris first, and now it doesn't matter at all. If I was feeling particularly petty I could go back through the posts today and name and shame, mostly remainers I expect.
    I think it's great we got the fist call.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if we were thirty-second, so long as we were ahead of France.
    I don't suppose it really means anything, somebody has to be first, and somebody else last. For all we know Biden simply wanted to get the call with Boris over with as soon as possible. :)
    Especiallyt if he wanted to cut the risk of any Irish border nonsense - remember the Act is going through Pmt at the moment.
    I believe the call between Boris and Joe Biden was mutually beneficial and in Joe Biden's case Boris rejection of Trump must please him more than from must any other leader due to Boris previously attitude to Trump
    Did you see the nice greeting Johnson sent to Trump, err, I mean Biden?
    Poor comms at no 10 but it does not alter the importance of Boris endorsing Joe Biden in a personal phone call which will aid Biden and add to Trump's dark anger
    Unbelievably incompetent comms from No 10.
    All-too-believably incompetent comms from No 10, I think.
    Well I don't know. Certainly the operation is usually a complete shambles, but you'd think finding IT literate people could still occur. I don't know why even very basic presentation stuff seems so hard for parties sometimes. Of the 2019 GE manifestos only the Green Party's properly hyperlinked the document for ease of use when first released
    Story of government & politics in general.

The cabinet room in No 10 has less functionality as a meeting space than it did during WWI, for example...
    No. I made a living out of doing the IT side of this sort of thing for years. It just requires attention to detail and a simple understanding that computers are not the sort of thing you see in Hollywood or CSI where pressing CTRL-X deletes the alien invasion fleet or removes all data forever because there are no such things as backups.
    The people putting those comms graphics together are not IT people though are they?
    People doing comms involving IT, ie all of them, should know basic stuff and potential pitfalls, the same way someone who has to redact something doesn't need to be an IT expert but know how to use redact properly so that you cannot copy paste the hidden data and so on.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,216
    isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

I think that is a route for Kamala to win

With a health event for Joe, you mean?
    Or he just says he’s handing it over to her before he’s sworn in.

What happens if Trump quit tomorrow? Would Pence be President?
    Yup, think so
    Someone wants a grand at 1000 on Betfair Pence next Pres now!

Fill your boots layers
    I wouldn't lay anything at 1000. Not even West Ham or Arsenal to win the Champions League this season when they aren't in it. Or even nearly in it.

Why were you banned btw? Was it for being a "strutting right wing populist"?
    Sub 900 now, the move is afoot!

I don’t know why, no ones telling, but that sounds like the kind of attention seeking self description I despise, so it wouldn’t be me saying it or admitting to it
    It was a @Nigel_Foremain special about you when his blood was up. Stuck in my mind like so much does. I have a truly great memory for a man of 82.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

It’s remarkable that it’s remarkable the the British PM would do anything other than endorse the president elect. I am glad he did. But what have we become where it’s in doubt for a second?

It wasn't in doubt even for a second. He did it within an hour of US media networks calling it in similar timeframes as other democratic leaders. People are pretending it was in doubt because the want to believe he wouldn't have done it, even though nothing suggests he would have done otherwise.
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578
    rpjs said:

MrEd said:

FPT:

Chris Mullin MP regularly baited on TV some of the profession’s more pompous examples when fighting for the Birmingham 6. His diaries recount the comment of his fellow campaigner, Sir John Stokes MP, when asked what his fellow Tory-cum-lawyers thought of what he was doing: “Sh*ts, the lot of them.”

Am I reading that correctly ?

Was John Stokes, the former Halesowen MP, really a campaigner on behalf on the Birmingham Six ?

I did think that, so I read his obituaries - couldn't see it mentioned anywhere
    Given that he once advocated shooting the "ring-leaders" of the British Leyland strikes, Petain-style, I'm going with a "probably not".
    I think you might be right. I'd love if it was though
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,927
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Yup, think so

Fill your boots layers
    I wouldn't lay anything at 1000. Not even West Ham or Arsenal to win the Champions League this season when they aren't in it. Or even nearly in it.

I don’t know why, no ones telling, but that sounds like the kind of attention seeking self description I despise, so it wouldn’t be me saying it or admitting to it
    It was a @Nigel_Foremain special about you when his blood was up. Stuck in my mind like so much does. I have a truly great memory for a man of 82.
    Oh did he now?! What a rotter!
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,404

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:
    Now if it had been Macron then Boris, some journalists would he banging on about it for weeks, months, years...
    It's funny how the order in which Biden called European leaders really mattered right up until the point he called Boris first, and now it doesn't matter at all. If I was feeling particularly petty I could go back through the posts today and name and shame, mostly remainers I expect.

To be honest, I wouldn't mind if we were thirty-second, so long as we were ahead of France.
    I don't suppose it really means anything, somebody has to be first, and somebody else last. For all we know Biden simply wanted to get the call with Boris over with as soon as possible. :)
    Especiallyt if he wanted to cut the risk of any Irish border nonsense - remember the Act is going through Pmt at the moment.
    I believe the call between Boris and Joe Biden was mutually beneficial and in Joe Biden's case Boris rejection of Trump must please him more than from must any other leader due to Boris previously attitude to Trump
    Poor comms at no 10 but it does not alter the importance of Boris endorsing Joe Biden in a personal phone call which will aid Biden and add to Trump's dark anger
    Well I don't know. Certainly the operation is usually a complete shambles, but you'd think finding IT literate people could still occur. I don't know why even very basic presentation stuff seems so hard for parties sometimes. Of the 2019 GE manifestos only the Green Party's properly hyperlinked the document for ease of use when first released

The cabinet room in No 10 has less functionality as a meeting space than it did during WWI, for example...
    No. I made a living out of doing the IT side of this sort of thing for years. It just requires attention to detail and a simple understanding that computers are not the sort of thing you see in Hollywood or CSI where pressing CTRL-X deletes the alien invasion fleet or removes all data forever because there are no such things as backups.
    I've been in IT since the ZX-81

Government & politics in general has been uniformly incompetent in IT throughout that period. Many people I have encountered in the area seem to take a joy in being IT illiterate. Printing emails, the works...
  • Options
    But is it totally outside the realm of the possible that, with more compliant figures in charge of these parts of the government, “information” might be revealed or plots “discovered” that help legitimize not allowing the process to move forward to an Electoral College vote that would yield power to Joe Biden?

It’s probably outside the realm of the possible. Probably 99 percent outside.

But not 100 percent.

A little alarmism in the defense of liberty is no vice.

https://thebulwark.com/be-alarmed/
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,256

Kind of wondering if the US is about to descend into its second civil war.

Really?

The sad cases who like to turn up with guns didn't even try to stop the counting when Trump was ahead, the only thing that might have given him a Constitutional victory.

They don't have the wherewithal, or determination, to go to war.
  • Options
    No10 head of press and former Vote Leave official Lee Cain is in talks to become Boris Johnson's chief of staff

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8935527/No10-head-Press-former-Vote-Leave-official-talks-Boris-Johnsons-chief-staff.html
  • Options
    peter505 said:

kinabalu i am surprised you are 82 i had you pegged as a millenial however just a thought that at your age you are perhaps slightly removed from things going on in the world today the world has changed a great deal even in the last 20 years you strike me as having a naive boomer 60s type mentality which is fair enough but not relevant to the world today

You are a poundland @MrEd. He's a Trump freak too but he masks it a whole lot better. You were obvious from your first post.

See how acute my sense of smell is even at such a ripe old age?
  • Options

No10 head of press and former Vote Leave official Lee Cain is in talks to become Boris Johnson's chief of staff

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8935527/No10-head-Press-former-Vote-Leave-official-talks-Boris-Johnsons-chief-staff.html

One of Cummings munchkins then.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Yup, think so

Fill your boots layers

The comment about your age was ageism and uncalled for
  • Options

isam said:

Pence in 230 points, 770 to lay

It is the same issue as with Kamala Harris. Mike Pence might well be the next President of the United States of America if Trump resigns (presumably in exchange for a pardon) but this is not what the misnamed Betfair market will be settled on.

However, now that Pence is being traded, traders and trading bots can make money on the price fluctuations.
    Maybe some 4-d chess merchants have worked out how Pence engineers Trump out with the 25th and then the ECV votes are overturned to elect Pence rather than Biden?
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362

But is it totally outside the realm of the possible that, with more compliant figures in charge of these parts of the government, “information” might be revealed or plots “discovered” that help legitimize not allowing the process to move forward to an Electoral College vote that would yield power to Joe Biden?

It’s probably outside the realm of the possible. Probably 99 percent outside.

But not 100 percent.

A little alarmism in the defense of liberty is no vice.

https://thebulwark.com/be-alarmed/

🙁
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,812

I kind of hope his nickname in government circles is already set to 'like-a-sieve'
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Jonathan said:

It’s remarkable that it’s remarkable the the British PM would do anything other than endorse the president elect. I am glad he did. But what have we become where it’s in doubt for a second?

It appears to have been a thing in the minds of various commentators. who were commentating on the commentating of commentators who were commenting on... something they found somewhere. No actual information was harmed, disturbed or otherwise involved in this activity.

Opinion as news.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,629
    Scott_xP said:
    Perhaps he identifies as black, and not yet completed transition.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    edited November 2020
    Trump firing the leadership at the Pentagon and installing a bunch of yes men - Anthony Tata Sec of Def for policy

Tata - "He has falsely claimed that Barack Obama is a Muslim and "terrorist leader" and promoted a baseless conspiracy theory asserting that the CIA sought to assassinate Trump"

If it walks like a duck,
    quacks like a duck
    PERHAPS MAYBE IT MIGHT JUST y'know...
  • Options

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

The people putting those comms graphics together are not IT people though are they?
    The should have skills in comms - High on the list of rules in publishing stuff, these days, is to make sure that embarrassing versioning, meta data etc is not present. Remember people reverting changes in published Word docs?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Jonathan said:

It was never in doubt though. You're projecting what you want to see from Boris onto him. He very clearly congratulated Biden as soon as the US networks made the call and then made the official phone call as it was scheduled by the Biden team. Only in the heads of the 13% was it ever in doubt that Boris wouldn't endorse Biden, it says more about you that you thought that than it does of Boris who clearly didn't.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Yup, think so

Fill your boots layers

Thank you Big G. If I'm sharp enough I'm young enough.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Trump firing the leadership at the Pentagon and installing a bunch of yes men - Anthony Tata Sec of Def for policy

Tata - "He has falsely claimed that Barack Obama is a Muslim and "terrorist leader" and promoted a baseless conspiracy theory asserting that the CIA sought to assassinate Trump"

If it walks like a duck,
    quacks like a duck

He doesnt sound like a yes man. He sounds like a please let me off the leash man.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,966
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

It wasn't in doubt even for a second. He did it within an hour of US media networks calling it in similar timeframes as other democratic leaders. People are pretending it was in doubt because the want to believe he wouldn't have done it, even though nothing suggests he would have done otherwise.
    You're right. We should remember this isn't about us. If they want to go off the deep end there isn't much a UK PM can do.
    Other than carry on.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,992
    As an aside, we've seen a new ballot drop in Arizona: 7,000 votes, nearly 50:50 between Biden and Trump.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    I didn't have much remaining doubt about the second wave being worse than the first, but that news has eliminated all that remained.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If it walks like a duck,
    quacks like a duck

You think there's a genuine non-trivial chance of USA going fascist here?
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,986
    kinabalu said:

peter505 said:

kinabalu i am surprised you are 82 i had you pegged as a millenial however just a thought that at your age you are perhaps slightly removed from things going on in the world today the world has changed a great deal even in the last 20 years you strike me as having a naive boomer 60s type mentality which is fair enough but not relevant to the world today

You are a poundland @MrEd. He's a Trump freak too but he masks it a whole lot better. You were obvious from your first post.

In all fairness to @MrEd, he freely admits he is/was* a Trump supporter.

*I believe rather less so now since he has witnessed his embarrassing refusal to concede.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    edited November 2020
    Wonder if HM will be early on the vaccine list?
  • Options

Boris's Chief of Staff. The Americanisation of British Politics continues. The West Wing has a lot to answer for; Boris is appointing his own Leo to go with his own CJ.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

If it walks like a duck,
    quacks like a duck

This story appears to date back to April?

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/23/fox-anthony-tata-pentagon-203536
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Yup, think so

Fill your boots layers

Of course you are as am I at 77 and my wife at 81
  • Options
    Pennsylvania; Biden lead 46,223, remains ballots 46,857

Trump needs 'em all - he's been getting 37%....
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

It was never in doubt though. You're projecting what you want to see from Boris onto him. He very clearly congratulated Biden as soon as the US networks made the call and then made the official phone call as it was scheduled by the Biden team. Only in the heads of the 13% was it ever in doubt that Boris wouldn't endorse Biden, it says more about you that you thought that than it does of Boris who clearly didn't.
    Yes, I hold no candle for Boris but some people really get high on their own supply about him.
  • Options

Boris's Chief of Staff. The Americanisation of British Politics continues. The West Wing has a lot to answer for; Boris is appointing his own Leo to go with his own CJ.
    You would think, all things considered, that now might not be the time to emulate the US system of administration.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Yup, think so

Fill your boots layers

So the order of PB'ers to take the vaccine goes....

1st in the country - JackW
    :
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

peter505 said:

What a ridiculous ageist comment

I like the way it's bothj ageist and youthist as well - poor Kinabalu can't win.
    Although coming over as a sparky millennial, that's great. That really warms a tired old man's cockles.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Pulpstar said:

If it walks like a duck,
    quacks like a duck

....Nazi Duck?

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

It was definitely doubted by more than a few. But either way I’m glad he endorsed the new president and got the president early call. We’re fully roped in on the Biden express

Personally I do worry about Conservative outriders like Hilton, Rossendale or Jenkyns . The idea that Hilton was in no10 for so long is worrisome.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Yup, think so

Fill your boots layers

:
    Is someone going to attempt a roll call of posters in line for the vaccine
  • Options

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Yes, I hold no candle for Boris but some people really get high on their own supply about him.
    It must really eat away at them that Boris was the first European leader to get the call and that it wasn't Merkel or some unelected Eurocrat.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

peter505 said:

*I believe rather less so now since he has witnessed his embarrassing refusal to concede.
    Thanks @Anabobazina. Re Trump, I think he has a right to contest the vote if he thinks fit and can produce genuine evidence (and I had the same opinion with HRC) but he certainly has no right to try and steal an election.

Re whether I would vote for him now: I'd hold off. He hasn't done anything yet to overstep the bounds - a lot of bluster, a lot of lawsuits but nothing unconstitutional. The moment he does, that is it.
  • Options

More importantly, this isn't the act of a PM who is planning to step down early in the New Year, Brexit done and Covid conquered.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

If it walks like a duck,
    quacks like a duck

This story appears to date back to April?

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/04/23/fox-anthony-tata-pentagon-203536
    They tried to appoint him then but withdrew the nomination in July as he was too controversial for the Senate hearings.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

It was definitely doubted by more than a few. But either way I’m glad he endorsed the new president and got the president early call. We’re fully roped in on the Biden express

Personally I do worry about Conservative outriders like Hilton, Rossendale or Jenkyns . The idea that Hilton was in no10 for so long is worrisome.
    Yes, the 13%, you were wrong.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

As an aside, we've seen a new ballot drop in Arizona: 7,000 votes, nearly 50:50 between Biden and Trump.

Nowhere near enough for Trump.

Anyone know at what rate provisionals are being validated?

(i.e. what proportion are being counted because their counterpart mail-in hadn't been recorded).
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

peter505 said:

And there was me thinking we were getting on so well.

Still, at least I have been elevated. M&S? Debenhams? Harrods?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    The election I was just elected in was fraudulent.

https://twitter.com/bluestein/status/1326275981443784710?s=19
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Eh? Never mind. Check out Trumps retweets of Hilton. Blimey.
  • Options

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Yup, think so

Fill your boots layers

:
    The under 50s won't get it rumour is less popular with my partner (49) than with me.
  • Options
    That is an American poll though. We've just established they are beyond shite.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Hilton is a nobody. He speaks for no one but himself. Same for all the others you mention. If any Tory MP starts questioning the result then they need to have the whip withdrawn.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

peter505 said:

Thanks @Anabobazina. Re Trump, I think he has a right to contest the vote if he thinks fit and can produce genuine evidence (and I had the same opinion with HRC) but he certainly has no right to try and steal an election.

Re whether I would vote for him now: I'd hold off. He hasn't done anything yet to overstep the bounds - a lot of bluster, a lot of lawsuits but nothing unconstitutional. The moment he does, that is it.
    At that point Americans wont have a meaningful vote, that is the whole point of a fascist coup! It might be just a tad late to change your mind after the putsch.
  • Options
    2 o'clock in the morning uk time for the Alaska vote counting to be announced
  • Options

More importantly, this isn't the act of a PM who is planning to step down early in the New Year, Brexit done and Covid conquered.
    No, I think that is for the birds. I've backed him at 1.9 to be still PM on 1st July 2022 and I'm very happy with that as a bet.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Hilton is a nobody. He speaks for no one but himself. Same for all the others you mention. If any Tory MP starts questioning the result then they need to have the whip withdrawn.
    Have you seen his stuff?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Yup, think so

Fill your boots layers

:
    The under 50s won't get it rumour is less popular with my partner (49) than with me.
    I am sure everyone will be offered it in due course
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Have you seen his stuff?
    No, why would I? As I just said, he's a nobody.
  • Options
    One of England's greatest ever bowlers and a top official at the pentagon !

Take a bow Jimmy.
    https://twitter.com/anoncatanoncat/status/1326276746014912512
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    Alistair said:

That is an American poll though. We've just established they are beyond shite.
    Nothing in that poll suprises me, the country is totally divided, the fact Trump got 70 million votes proves that. He could have lost by 200 EVs and if he had cried foul and demanded they reverse the results of 10 states the masses would have followed him over the top!
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

isam said:

kinabalu said:

isam said:

Yup, think so

Fill your boots layers

:
    How old is SeanT? - that's at least 5 or 6 million doses, right there
  • Options

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

Government & politics in general has been uniformly incompetent in IT throughout that period. Many people I have encountered in the area seem to take a joy in being IT illiterate. Printing emails, the works...
    My first computer was a ZX81. After 6 weeks I part-exchanged it for a BBC Model B :D

The "Proud to be IT illiterate" brigade are merely a subset of the "Proud to be innumerate" brigade who happily boast that science and maths are beyond understanding.
  • Options
    MAGA twitter not sure the latest CIA move is to their advantage
    https://twitter.com/CassandraRules/status/1326295832518414336
  • Options

kinabalu said:

peter505 said:

Ardent supporter, I think, to be 100% fair. As to whether his attachment to Trump is greater than his attachment to democracy, we will soon find out.

This is the courtroom. His posts are the evidence. And we are the jury. I will be the foreman.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

One of England's greatest ever bowlers and a top official at the pentagon !

Take a bow Jimmy.
    https://twitter.com/anoncatanoncat/status/1326276746014912512

Would have been useful in the swing States.
    I need my coat, thanks. It is November.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

You are in awe of his lifetime track record of sensible decisions?
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    Perhaps he pays someone to do his tweets and the person (who could be a black person) got carried away and forgot which account they were tweeting under.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

My first computer was a ZX81. After 6 weeks I part-exchanged it for a BBC Model B :D

The "Proud to be IT illiterate" brigade are merely a subset of the "Proud to be innumerate" brigade who happily boast that science and maths are beyond understanding.
    You had a BBC.... Luuuuuuuuuuxury........ we was so poor we couldn't afford the "1"s in binary numbers....

Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier wine?
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

peter505 said:

Ardent supporter, I think, to be 100% fair. As to whether his attachment to Trump is greater than his attachment to democracy, we will soon find out.

This is the courtroom. His posts are the evidence. And we are the jury. I will be the foreman.
    Ah, I always knew you were a fascist at heart. Always there to judge, always there to preach.

From now on, you shall be called the Trumpfinder-General of PB

You were born in the wrong century. You would have been fantastic in 16th Century Geneva as a Calvinist or 17th Century New England in Salem.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    Perhaps he pays someone to do his tweets and the person (who could be a black person) got carried away and forgot which account they were tweeting under.
    He later claimed he was sharing a message a constituent sent him some time ago.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913
    edited November 2020
    kle4 said:

The Republican Party has gone stark, raving, bonkers. Utterly nuts.

What I find more incredible is the various online defenders who genuine seem to believe that a Republican claiming something happened is itself proof that there's something dodgy going on which raises interesting questions.

It'd be like a religious person trying to prove a miracle by pointing to it being referenced in their holy book.
    I doubt they do believe it.

What we need to realise is that spreading lies and misinformation is a deliberate strategy of Trump fans and people need to wake up and call it out when they see it.

If it goes unchallenged you end up like the US with millions believing in QAnon-type bollox. That is why belatedly social media in America have woken up to that fact that they have to now label the President's tweets as untrue.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,627
    O/T

This is absolutely true in my experience. I stopped wearing a helmet a few years ago for this reason.

https://twitter.com/ClarkeMicah/status/1326199655504506881
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Have you seen his stuff?

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
    Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Have you seen his stuff?

Doesn't mean he's not a nobody today.
  • Options
    OllyT said:

kle4 said:

What I find more incredible is the various online defenders who genuine seem to believe that a Republican claiming something happened is itself proof that there's something dodgy going on which raises interesting questions.

It'd be like a religious person trying to prove a miracle by pointing to it being referenced in their holy book.

What we need to realise is that spreading lies and misinformation is a deliberate strategy of Trump fans and people need to wake up and call it out when they see it.

If it goes unchallenged you end up like the US with millions believing in QAnon-type bollox.
    But then millions believed after the 2016 election that Russia stole it and they put "their" man in the White House.

And it was exactly the same policy of spreading disinformation and exaggerating claims about Russian interference in the process.

The same people who are screaming about electoral integrity in 2020 were the same ones screaming about Russian interference in 2016.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Dispiriting stuff. It doesn't take long to review allegations, even serious allegations, if evidence is not presented to substantiate them. Given statistically it's unlikely all 8 are idiots, they must know that.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

Have you seen his stuff?

What does that prove? Please enlighten me about his position in the current administration. Who does he represent in the government?

You and the rest of your 13% are a disgrace.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Alistair said:

Dispiriting stuff. It doesn't take long to review allegations, even serious allegations, if evidence is not presented to substantiate them. Given statistically it's unlikely all 8 are idiots, they must know that.
    To be fair to Raffensperger, he has resisted a lot more than I thought he might.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Scott_xP said:
    Still, I would love to be a fly on the wall in his household explaining that one to his wife
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

MaxPB said:

Jonathan said:

He's another one - Hilton - where I wonder how much is genuine belief in what he says and how much is either narcissistic personality disorder or simple "man has to pay the rent" grifting.
  • Options
    What do we reckon Biden's approval ratings will be when he starts his term ?

55% ?
  • Options
    Mapreader said:

kle4 said:

Jonathan said:

You are in awe of his lifetime track record of sensible decisions?
    No, but this wasn't a choice between a sensible decision and a non-sensible one, it wasn't even a choice, it was rolling out standard diplomatic messaging and for his incompetence Boris is not that stupid. People have just pretended he might have done otherwise because they dislike him, the only suggestion why he might do otherwise being an affinity for Trump, when it clearly wasn't personal affinity as he's on camera saying mean things about Trump, and he could be the most politically aligned to Trump in the world and would still have congratulated who ever won the election.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kle4 said:

Alistair said:

To be fair to Raffensperger, he has resisted a lot more than I thought he might.
    One wonders if the pressure will bear fruit eventually, but fair play to him so far on waiting for evidence before acting on mere allegation.
  • Options
    Whilst Trump and his cohorts have taken it waaay further, in fairness I believe a poll linked to earlier about Republicans not trusting the election was fair had shown Democrats reduced belief in fair elections when they lose, just not to the same level. But not all things flawed are equally so of course.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

O/T

This is absolutely true in my experience. I stopped wearing a helmet a few years ago for this reason.

https://twitter.com/ClarkeMicah/status/1326199655504506881

Sounds like optimum solution will be a helmet disguised in the form of a female wig. One for dragons den.
  • Options
    Trump has just sacked 3 key people from the Pentagon including policy head and intelligence head you may not like the guy but he's going all in now
  • Options
    OllyT said:

kle4 said:

If it goes unchallenged you end up like the US with millions believing in QAnon-type bollox. That is why belatedly social media in America have woken up to that fact that they have to now label the President's tweets as untrue.
    Exactly. Less of this "to be fair to ... bla bla" and "welcome to PB new Trumpian drivel monger". This stuff needs to be stomped on.

Twitter are still being too soft flagging Trump's claims merely as "disputed".
  • Options

Never seemed very plausible. There was an argument around May doing the same thing, yet she still clung on for months with no control and only stepped aside for the next phase, as it were, when there was no other choice. Boris also promised Brexit was done, albeit the impact hasn't hit as we're not out of transition, so even in the new year the things he said he would do are not done, and who is going to challenge his control? Sure, the party may well find itself very unpopular, but that happens and perhaps at least the MPs will find a spine. I guess disastrous locals and an SNP landslide may have more impact?
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

peter505 said:

Ah, I always knew you were a fascist at heart. Always there to judge, always there to preach.

You were born in the wrong century. You would have been fantastic in 16th Century Geneva as a Calvinist or 17th Century New England in Salem.
    Don't be facetious. It irritates.
  • Options
    peter505 said:

Trump has just sacked 3 key people from the Pentagon including policy head and intelligence head you may not like the guy but he's going all in now

Thinking of this in terms of incipient coup or even global strategy is way off base.

Trumpsky is simply firing more people, like he likes to do, if you haven't noticed. Upper echelon of his "government" has been perpetual musical chairs for four years. Why should he stop now?

Keep in mind that "You're fired" is the phrase that made him a TV star, and (eventually) won him (for one wretched term) the White House.
  • Options

kle4 said:

Carnyx said:

glw said:

rcs1000 said:

glw said:

HYUFD said:

You had a BBC.... Luuuuuuuuuuxury........ we was so poor we couldn't afford the "1"s in binary numbers....

Who'd a thought thirty years ago we'd all be sittin' here drinking Chateau de Chassilier wine?
    Is that posher than Lambrini?

Not only could I afford the 1's, I was allowed the zeros too. When they brought out the 80 track, double sided, double density disk drive I snapped that up too.

Top stuff, but at least I never compromised my integrity and purity of spirit by buying an Apple a Spectrum.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

peter505 said:

?????
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

MrEd said:

kinabalu said:

kinabalu said:

peter505 said:

Don't be facetious. It irritates.
    If you put up posts like you did, they are either in jest, in which case so are mine, or you are being serious, in which case that sort of behaviour needs to be called out.
This discussion has been closed.