Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

The final battle of WH2020 – the Georgia run-off for two senate seats – politicalbetting.com

Comments

• Options
    The government still doesn't seem to have worked out that, should it come to it, telling the US we have not breached the terms of the Good Friday Agreement will cut no ice whatsoever if the US believes we have.
  • Options
    'Kin hell I bought a new MacBook Air earlier on this year.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,201
    President Harris would doubtless facilitate that at the right moment.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,925
    edited November 2020
    Ol' Pompeo PREJUDGING the outcome of the court cases/recounts in Trumps' favour. Tell me they're not facsists.

OTOH Porterwright law firm's email boxes are going to be rather full by the end of the day.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718

What a loony tunes that Arcuri is.

Where is isam? Has he gone?

+1 Where is @isam ?
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

HYUFD said:

Laurence Fox clearly still in Trump mode

https://twitter.com/LozzaFox/status/1326216949823627265?s=20

I'm actually concerned for the man's mental wellbeing. His 'crusade' started out as being against wokeism, so where's all this weird WEF globalist takeover stuff now coming from? Is a full QAnon alignment imminent?
    He’s a nutter.

Also, I tend to find that all of these kinds of people on Twitter who are mainly preoccupied with the idea that ‘wokeism’, ‘cancel culture’, ‘virtue signalling’ and social justice warriors is the greatest challenge we face tend to be right weirdos anyway.
    Well, maybe, but these nutters do nail Johnson pretty fair and square. "This man is not representing you. He’s not acting in the national interest. He’s waiting for his piece of the pie. That’s all" has surely always been uncontroversial?
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    The only way Trump
    HYUFD said:

The Democrat Ossoff currently leads 47.9% to 47.7% for the GOP Perdue in the first Senate race in Georgia, in the special election Georgia race it is the Democrat Warner on 32.9% who will face the Republican Loeffler who got 25.9%, 3rd placed Republican Collins got 20% and Lieberman the second Democrat came last on 2%

https://edition.cnn.com/election/2020/results/senate

No he doesn't.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

peter505 said:

Sadly i think you guys are underestimating trumps chances of overturning the result. Watch Steve Bannons warroom they seem pretty confident plus they have giuliani on side who took down the five families. Remember our media has a very strong anti trump bias so we get a very skewed impression over here. They are concentrating on Pennsylvania where many ballots arrived after the cutoff time. In fact some services have already withdrawn that state from biden. Remember the likes of robert moore on itv cant hide their bias i get it he hates trump but this filters through to how we perceive things

The Trump administration doesn't need to get one result overturned, they need to get three:

(1) Arizona
    (2) Pennsylvania
    (3) Georgia

And, by the way, they need to actually reverse the votes. They can't just say "do over" or "doesn't count", they have to reverse the decisions.

In Arizona and Georgia, they will also have to deal with the fact that elected, Republican, Secretaries of State will have certified the votes.

Furthermore, the Pennsylvania ballots that arrived after cut off time have not been counted. They have been set aside. So Biden's 75,000 vote margin in the state is before late arriving ballots.

Could you please point me in the direction of a single law suit that alleges anything material enough to overturn one of these?

(And bear in mind the Trump administration record in cases - cases largely in front of Trump appointed judges - is 12-0. 12 losses. No wins.)
    So, Biden 1.09 on betfair, loadsa liquidity.

Insurance start-ups are usually awash with cash their first year...
    I have HAMMERED it.

It's a bet on the US remaining a democracy.

But anyway, Ok, I'll sign off since I'm posting in a bad temper, which is never good.

Just sick & tired of people getting sucked into Donald Trump's bullshit.

Onward Christian Soldiers. :smile:
    So you suspect that those that do were Trump fans in the first place??
  • Options
    CarnyxCarnyx Posts: 39,693
    edited November 2020

Carnyx said:

What on earth did you do, get a battered haggis pudden and deep-fried pizza from a burger van at 2 am in the morning after eight pints of heavy?!

There are plenty of decent places to eat esp around Byres Road, though I usually end up at the Kelvingrove Museum orangery or the Mackintosh House in Bellahouston Park.
    I went to one of those places that had started gentrifying, you know those places in Glasgow that started putting bog rolls in the toilets.

In my defence, my last trip to Glasgow coincided with an Old Firm Derby.

I love Edinburgh, been many times and would love to go again.
    Was that when they were still riveting ships together?! But in fairness I would never go west of the Kelpies or Pyramids on an Old Firm day. When my friend and I have a Saturday out in his car to a castle or hobby show or similar, the first thing we check is, where are Rangers playing?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I'm actually concerned for the man's mental wellbeing. His 'crusade' started out as being against wokeism, so where's all this weird WEF globalist takeover stuff now coming from? Is a full QAnon alignment imminent?
    He’s a nutter.

Also, I tend to find that all of these kinds of people on Twitter who are mainly preoccupied with the idea that ‘wokeism’, ‘cancel culture’, ‘virtue signalling’ and social justice warriors is the greatest challenge we face tend to be right weirdos anyway.
    Agreed and I think you can go further with this, anyone who thinks the answer to most of the worlds problems is a single thing, whether its wokeism, big business, Muslims, Jews, conspiracies of pizza eating paedophiles or whatever, is losing the plot. The world is far more layered and complicated.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,599

Foxy said:

FPT:

HYUFD said:

You can be a Catholic and a Jewish Tory if you are also a monarchist and Unionist, you cannot however be an atheist, who wants to abolish the monarchy and break up the Union as you do and still be a Tory

The more I read comments like this, the more it becomes obvious I can never be a Tory.

The behaviour of the Bluekippers are persuading me that Scotland and N Ireland are best served by leaving the UK.

BTW - I have the atheist bit all sorted out :+1:

As for the monarchy - a historic relic that still poisons English society by providing a framework for the wretched "Class system" and its associated attitudes. It needs to go.
    Yes, you're yet another one who wants to blow up the whole ship because you've been driven mad by Brexit, and sense it will drive mad in turn those who advocated for it.

I remember when you were posting on here regularly as a "Better Off Out" poster.

Your arguments and style were embarrassing then and are no less embarrassing now.
    The problem was that in my BOO days I had not really considered the problem and why would I? There was no prospect of leaving at that time.

Then everything changed.

When I looked at the argument in depth, it became clear that BOO was not going to work well and I changed my position (as per the quote from J M Keynes).

I have not been driven mad by Brexit - why should I? I am immune to Brexit thanks to my Irish citizenship. It is the Leavers who are going mad because their pet project is not going to plan. They are the ones running around blaming anyone and anything.
    The trouble is Beverley there is never any nuance or measuredness to your argument: you've gone from vociferously venting well to my right flank and then you quickly skedaddled after the vote to the other side and now are vociferously venting at me from the left-flank whilst undergoing a complete values shift in the process. There's no consistency at all except the use of a lot of smilies, and throwing barbs at the fundamentals of the British state.

Why would I take that seriously or want to engage with it?
    The only major change I made in my position has been over shifting away from BOO. The other change you are referring to (skedaddling) to the left is the resultant of a minor shift leftward by me and a massive lurch to the right by the Conservatives.

As for the smileys, we have a comedian for PM. The only thing left to do is laugh.
    Ok, but you must know that arguing for the break-up of the UK (or at least being agnostic about it) and for the abolition of monarchy and dismissive of other British institutions is bound to provoke a strong response.

If I need to be more tolerant of those who have multi-layered identities (and I do) then perhaps you need to be more so of the British one, because these are the building blocks that keep everything else stable.
    My problem is that my sense of Britishness has been massively diminished, but not by Brexit. It has been caused by the UKIP sympathisers that infest a lot of the Conservative Party (think ERG plus some of the new Boris-loyal intake).

I cannot interchange Britishness with Englishness like many of them seem to do because I am not English. In fact their pronouncements and actions make me value the establishment less and less to the point that I feel I have a much better understanding of the Scottish viewpoint. I certainly have a lot more sympathy with the Scots and to a certain extent Brexit validates Scottish Indy - if it is valid for Britain to "Take Back Control" then it is valid for Scotland too.

The truth of the matter is that if the govt had been competent in organising itself and its affairs over the last few years then I would be less adrift. But the core of the problem is that there has been so much incompetence, stupidity and posturing that I would be embarrassed to whip out a British passport when aboard. It is hard to be a citizen of a laughing stock.
    Thanks. That makes more sense, and I understand that.

I've always wanted a sensible rational deal that we can coalesce around (notwithstanding how we voted in the EURef) and that we can all then move on from, and build on. And I don't want to be laughed at either.

I don't want to see you go by the way. Hope you decide to stay.
    I have said may times that I would accept an EEA deal. What I will not accept is the sort of isolationism so prized by the extremists.
    Ideally, I'd settle for an outer common market only ring with Switzerland, Iceland, Norway, UK and Turkey all in it -with weighted votes - but no political union, and a level of qualification and brake on free movement.

The European political and economic arrangements just need much more flexibility, and I don't think that's a threat to the core EU. Countries should be able to move into and out of it if they want to.
    Yes, but fantasy unicorn Brexits don't play in the real world.

What you propose is a vassal state Brexit, where we follow the rules of others. Full membership is the only way to help set the rules, or full exit.
    Not quite. EEA countries are the halfway-house. They get input into some of the rule making, pay a lower fee for membership and also have more autonomy.
    Yes, but free movement...

I am happy with EEA as a restoration of my free movement, and a step towards proper membership again, but that is precisely why the Brexiteers oppose it.

EEA most likely if we have a no Deal Brexit in Jan, because No Deal is not a destination, nor an end to negotiation.

• Options
    edited November 2020
    So Trump's only "credible" route to victory is to get all mail in ballots ruled illegitimate. I suppose it helps him get rid of Mitt Romney as well seeing as Utah uses 100% mail in ballots...
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

What on earth did you do, get a battered haggis pudden and deep-fried pizza from a burger van at 2 am in the morning after eight pints of heavy?!

There are plenty of decent places to eat esp around Byres Road, though I usually end up at the Kelvingrove Museum orangery or the Mackintosh House in Bellahouston Park.
    I remember eating well in a banquet there (I think at a rather splendid City hall) following an October conference. Crystal clear skies and the City Centre very handsome, in the autumn sun.

I appreciate it isn't always like that!
  • Options
    So I’m guessing Acuri is a Trump supporter then. That tweet is honestly insane.

Macron didn’t get to speak with Biden before Boris? I find that pretty funny, tbh. Although how on earth Boris plans to keep hardcore Brexiteers happy and honour the Good Friday Agreement is beyond me.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    The problem with the BBC's new timidity is that by trying not to offend they achieve the opposite. The have just said 'The FA's Chairman has resigned after using a racially offensive word to describe black players'. I'm all for PC but that's a bit harsh
  • Options
    Stocky said:

+1 Where is @isam ?
    He dissed Radiohead, ordered TSE a Hawaiian with extra pineapple and said Change UK was a joke?
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

HYUFD said:

He’s a nutter.

Well, maybe, but these nutters do nail Johnson pretty fair and square. "This man is not representing you. He’s not acting in the national interest. He’s waiting for his piece of the pie. That’s all" has surely always been uncontroversial?
    That part isn’t controversial. It’s the other stuff he says which is, though.
  • Options
    @peter505

Welcome Peter. Interesting first post, which drew a lot of 'incoming'. Always a good sign.

Here's to many more.

PS. Helpful hint. Ignore JackW. He's getting on, and can't really help it.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

He’s a nutter.

Agreed and I think you can go further with this, anyone who thinks the answer to most of the worlds problems is a single thing, whether its wokeism, big business, Muslims, Jews, conspiracies of pizza eating paedophiles or whatever, is losing the plot. The world is far more layered and complicated.
    Yep, in complete agreement with you there. Nicely said.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

peter505 said:

Sadly i think you guys are underestimating trumps chances of overturning the result. Watch Steve Bannons warroom they seem pretty confident plus they have giuliani on side who took down the five families. Remember our media has a very strong anti trump bias so we get a very skewed impression over here. They are concentrating on Pennsylvania where many ballots arrived after the cutoff time. In fact some services have already withdrawn that state from biden. Remember the likes of robert moore on itv cant hide their bias i get it he hates trump but this filters through to how we perceive things

The Trump administration doesn't need to get one result overturned, they need to get three:

(1) Arizona
    (2) Pennsylvania
    (3) Georgia

And, by the way, they need to actually reverse the votes. They can't just say "do over" or "doesn't count", they have to reverse the decisions.

In Arizona and Georgia, they will also have to deal with the fact that elected, Republican, Secretaries of State will have certified the votes.

Furthermore, the Pennsylvania ballots that arrived after cut off time have not been counted. They have been set aside. So Biden's 75,000 vote margin in the state is before late arriving ballots.

Could you please point me in the direction of a single law suit that alleges anything material enough to overturn one of these?

(And bear in mind the Trump administration record in cases - cases largely in front of Trump appointed judges - is 12-0. 12 losses. No wins.)

I have HAMMERED it.

But anyway, Ok, I'll sign off since I'm posting in a bad temper, which is never good.

It is great you have such certainty, and it is indeed a bet on the US choosing democracy over fascism. Obviously I hope you are spot on and there is zero chance of fascism, but history doesnt suggest that is so. Countries can change suddenly and dramatically.

I think the 1.1 is value, maybe even the 1.05, but his price is not 1. To understand his price, we need to understand how Republicans in the US are thinking, as well as the legal process.
  • Options
    532 covid deaths in the UK reported today. Backdating blah blah, weekend effect etc etc. That's an appalling number.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    edited November 2020
    JACK_W said:

kinabalu said:

JACK_W said:

kinabalu said:

JACK_W said:

PB has an excellent tradition of welcoming new posters and whilst some may not share the view of @peter505 it's pretty shabby to attack him in such a fashion.

Welcome @peter505 . We are for the most part a pretty friendly mob. Just be careful of considering donating to @Peter_the_Punter and his feather boa fund - it's a ticklish issue here ....

No it isn't shabby. Wise up FFS.
    We clearly have different standards.

PB is not an echo chamber for your views.

PB has always prided itself on have a diversity of view and if you can't cope with that then perhaps this forum isn't the place for you.
    Yes. I have higher standards.
    Then kindly show it and not act like a child who is throwing their toys out the pram.
    Describing Trumpian drivel as just that is not childish - it's efficient. One does not always have the time for a calm and detailed rebuttal. And Trumpian drivel mongers tend to be robust types so I wouldn't be too worried they'd run away with hurt feelings.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

I remember eating well in a banquet there (I think at a rather splendid City hall) following an October conference. Crystal clear skies and the City Centre very handsome, in the autumn sun.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Glasgow_City_Chambers_-_Banqueting_Hall_-_4.jpg

maybe? In the central square next to the main railway station to Edinburgh.
  • Options

BoZo doesn't tend to retain good relationships with his exes does he? 🤔🎻

@isam does rather attract the ban hammer at times, but is a useful contributer to the site, albeit his cross postings get a bit iffy at times.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

532 covid deaths in the UK reported today. Backdating blah blah, weekend effect etc etc. That's an appalling number.

what? surely some mistake?
  • Options
    I think this is vaguely reassuring. Even if i think hugely misguided. These people need to speak out. It's far too dangerous otherwise. Trump is taking succour from their silence.

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/11/10/politics/republicans-chris-coons-2020-trump-election/index.html
  • Options
    malcolmg said:

Roger said:

IshmaelZ said:

peter505 said:

Welcome, and I def agree that I get very nervous on other peoples' behalf when I see "LOL, Biden 1.03 for president, free money" posts.
    Don't worry Boris has fixed it for Biden.

Embarrassing to read the eulogies to Johnson because the president elect had the good manners to take a phone call. What would you expect him to do?

Boris who?

.....Click brrrrrr
    You just do not get it do you
    Boris desperately calling to try and pretend he amounts to something , pathetic cretin. Probably gave a false name to get put through.
    The green eyed monster isn't a good look on you.

I'm sure Sturgeon will get through eventually.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I thought these tiers were supposed to be getting it under control making a lockdown unnecessary?

I appreciate deaths are usually three-four weeks adrift of infections, but even so.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2020
    I presume all those journalists getting very excited about the exact order that POTUS would call allies yesterday have gone a bit quiet now.

I am sure he will speak with all the major world leaders over the next day or two.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Stocky said:

kinabalu said:

IshmaelZ said:

rcs1000 said:

peter505 said:

(1) Arizona
    (2) Pennsylvania
    (3) Georgia

I have HAMMERED it.

So you suspect that those that do were Trump fans in the first place??
    50/50 split. But I rate my "nose" for which is which.
  • Options
    Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Glasgow_City_Chambers_-_Banqueting_Hall_-_4.jpg

Yes, that's the place! Excellent food, grand atmosphere and plenty of drink. If it wasn't for some boring rugby player doing the after dinner speech, it was a fine evening indeed. I nodded off at that bit.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

I thought these tiers were supposed to be getting it under control making a lockdown unnecessary?

I appreciate deaths are usually three-four weeks adrift of infections, but even so.
    20,412 new cases today. Definitely starting to look like new infections were plateauing before lockdown.
  • Options
    Drat!. 48/50 States in my prediction correct. Missing NC and FL.
  • Options
    alex_ said:
    They finally counted all the votes, it was never in doubt.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

alex_ said:
    Vote tally hasn't changed on their site.
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    After a few days break from the election result (or results if you buy in to Trumps pathetic loser position) I see that if anything more republican barricades are going up. It seems to me that Trumps strategy is what it always is to grind people down , to bully , to spread enough lies and fake news to overwhelm the actual facts.
    Is there any chance of the election being overturned? None, in my view for the reasons Robert gave earlier about the mountain Trump needs to climb.
    However IMO thats not his game here, his game is to disrupt, keep half the population (or at least his devotees and the sycophants around him in the GOP) on board and make Biden's position as difficult and messy as possible. He will continue to do this as long as he has enough support which sadly may be a very long time.
    So I expect this to drag on and on, with Trump, his hatchet men, like the odious Giuliani and his rabid supporters turning this election and the so called bastion of US democracy into some kind of guerilla war.
    It's pathetic but let's be honest 100% in character for Trump. Buckle up America, Its going to be messy.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Foxy said:

Carnyx said:

Yes, that's the place! Excellent food, grand atmosphere and plenty of drink. If it wasn't for some boring rugby player doing the after dinner speech, it was a fine evening indeed. I nodded off at that bit.
    Rugger buggers are the midges of the upper levels of Scottish professional society, I'm afraid. Even in Glasgow.
  • Options
    BBC News - Greg Clarke resigns as Football Association chairman after remark about black players
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54894864
  • Options
    Good news if Tiers can keep R at 1. Lockdown should bring base incidence back down then Tiers can hopefully keep it low.

I doubt the Welsh firebreak will have achieved much though. 2 weeks is long enough to damage businesses but not especially long to reduce incidence.
  • Options
    That's an enormous positivity rate and hospitalisation figures.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Pulpstar said:

It fits what I hear internally in my hospital. Not all deaths officially declared yet either.

Looking at how it is exploding across the continent, such a rise is probably better than most countries are managing.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

Good news if Tiers can keep R at 1. Lockdown should bring base incidence back down then Tiers can hopefully keep it low.

I doubt the Welsh firebreak will have achieved much though. 2 weeks is long enough to damage businesses but not especially long to reduce incidence.
    To be fair, their case numbers do appear to have dropped through the floor. Although it would be interesting to know how many have been actually getting tested and whether that figure is also down.
  • Options

BBC News - Greg Clarke resigns as Football Association chairman after remark about black players

It just wasn't comment about black players, he's guilty of the worst stereotyping.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Fishing said:

On topic, I have a slightly redneck friend from Georgia who has never bothered to register before. He didn't like Trump very much but really dislikes Biden so he's told me that he's going to register and vote in these elections "so Biden can't do anything".

He lives in Sweden and is pretty flakey so he may not get around to doing it, but on the basis of my sub-sample of one it will be a GOP sweep in January.

Can't argue with that.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Pulpstar said:

I agree its a horrendous headline number, I know there will be caveats and the Murder Tuesday quotes, but its still awful. Thank god the news on the vaccine front seems very positive. That was always the way out of this and the fact it may begin roll out as soon as the end of the year or early next is great news. But until then sadly these numbers like today are still going to be around.
  • Options
    I don't think anyone really knows what Trump's legal strategy is. He doesn't appear to have one.

So the legal cases are either designed simply to raise a lot of money to be diverted to campaign debts and/or line his pocket, or they are just intended to buy time until something turns up. Maybe a war or something that calls for a declaration of a national emergency that prevents the electoral college from assembling or something.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

It just wasn't comment about black players, he's guilty of the worst stereotyping.
    The BBC news tv report that was just on was highly misleading. They only covered the fact he used the term coloured and made an absolute massive deal out of how racist this is, when actually it was a whole range of things...gay is a life style choice...christ alive.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,526

HYUFD said:

He’s a nutter.

Lozza was pretty cool as an actor who didn't speak standard issue luvviespeak; as a promoter of new political groupings he looks more like going down the same track as Kilroy Silk, Galloway, Umunna and co, Farage in his latest format, Tommy Robinson and the rest.

Where Roy Jenkins and Shirley Williams failed I'm not backing the actor. Until all this he was doing fine as a spokesman for bloke in pub/shed/golf course.

• Options
    noneoftheabovenoneoftheabove Posts: 20,735
    edited November 2020

Has been a terrible chairman throughout with errors of judgment every time he pops up in public. Will be reported as wokeism but good riddance to a rubbish custodian of the beautiful game.

Oh and lets be clear, he resigned not because of what he said today, but because he lost the support of his board over time. He wanted to carry on.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    Mal557 said:

After a few days break from the election result (or results if you buy in to Trumps pathetic loser position) I see that if anything more republican barricades are going up. It seems to me that Trumps strategy is what it always is to grind people down , to bully , to spread enough lies and fake news to overwhelm the actual facts.
    Is there any chance of the election being overturned? None, in my view for the reasons Robert gave earlier about the mountain Trump needs to climb.
    However IMO thats not his game here, his game is to disrupt, keep half the population (or at least his devotees and the sycophants around him in the GOP) on board and make Biden's position as difficult and messy as possible. He will continue to do this as long as he has enough support which sadly may be a very long time.
    So I expect this to drag on and on, with Trump, his hatchet men, like the odious Giuliani and his rabid supporters turning this election and the so called bastion of US democracy into some kind of guerilla war.
    It's pathetic but let's be honest 100% in character for Trump. Buckle up America, Its going to be messy.

More than messy if it causes unrest on the streets .
    It is the first time in my life I have been worried for democracy in an established country such as the USA.

• Options
    ydoethur said:

Stocky said:

+1 Where is @isam ?
    He dissed Radiohead, ordered TSE a Hawaiian with extra pineapple and said Change UK was a joke?
    Well... 3 out of 3 ain't bad ;)
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,957
    Mal557 said:

Trump is a symptom not a cause. For a shockingly large number of Republicans there is no such thing as a duly elected Democrat.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,961
    alex_ said:

alex_ said:
    Vote tally hasn't changed on their site.
    Trump is clear favourite in NC (maybe 95%), but there's no new data, so not clear Decision Desk should have called it just yet.
  • Options
    To be honest i do have a feeling that huge numbers of the Federal Government and GOP leadership are actually simply trying to find any deflection tactic to avoid commenting negatively and annoying Trump. They're playing a very dangerous game, but i don't think one can necessarily read into it that they're on the verge of launching a coup.
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Pulpstar said:

I agree its a horrendous headline number, I know there will be caveats and the Murder Tuesday quotes, but its still awful. Thank god the news on the vaccine front seems very positive. That was always the way out of this and the fact it may begin roll out as soon as the end of the year or early next is great news. But until then sadly these numbers like today are still going to be around.
    Fuck. And we're probably still weeks from peak deaths. November is going be just fucking awful.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

That's an enormous positivity rate and hospitalisation figures.
    I believe Lombardy is again incredibly hard hit.
  • Options

The BBC news tv report that was just on was highly misleading. They only covered the fact he used the term coloured and made an absolute massive deal out of how racist this is, when actually it was a whole range of things...gay is a life style choice...christ alive.
    This is the mentality that leads people to mistake me for a doctor or a taxi driver.

Clarke: "If you go to the IT department at the FA, there's a lot more south Asians than there are Afro-Caribbeans. They have different career interests."
  • Options
    alex_ said:
    Finally realised there are not enough ballots to bridge the gap even if 100% Biden.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Mal557 said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Pulpstar said:

Fuck. And we're probably still weeks from peak deaths. November is going be just fucking awful.
    Not sure about this. Our case and now hospitalisation numbers are looking pretty reasonable. Main issue if this really was just caused by half term.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:

Mal557 said:

Roy_G_Biv said:

Pulpstar said:

Unlikely. We haven't seen the cases rise in a while. This should be the peak.
  • Options

Little girls don't want balls kicked hard at them.
  • Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971
    edited November 2020
    Foxy said:

BoZo doesn't tend to retain good relationships with his exes does he? 🤔🎻

@isam does rather attract the ban hammer at times, but is a useful contributer to the site, albeit his cross postings get a bit iffy at times.
    Reminds me a bit of Joey Barton. Good player on his day, but you always know he could combust at any moment.

P.s. Absolutely, no idea why you’d add a violin emoji to that comment.
  • Options
    gealbhangealbhan Posts: 2,362
    And a big confident smile as well.

Anyone think it’s 100% cold stone dead? Of course you don’t, because that would be thinking in a universe where all the current rules and laws are followed, but we know the coming weeks will not be like that. The longer it goes on without conceding the more you know they are having dialogue behind the scenes, the Republicans have 70% of the party behind Trump and very nearly half of everyone who voted, that’s immense pressure, don’t underestimate that. Some examples of the alternate universe to expect, recounts which return different results, Supreme Court ruling if you wrote it Pence it gets counted for Trump Pence, etc.

If Biden wins Arizona and Penn. its with much smaller margins than we thought a few days ago. Is there anyone who really thinks it’s 100% over?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

To be fair in regards to that, I believe he said that is what coaches told him? I don't know the context. Was he saying this is what coaches say, thus girls are crap at football or was he saying coaches say this and thus we need to change coaching? I honestly don't know.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

alex_ said:

To be honest i do have a feeling that huge numbers of the Federal Government and GOP leadership are actually simply trying to find any deflection tactic to avoid commenting negatively and annoying Trump. They're playing a very dangerous game, but i don't think one can necessarily read into it that they're on the verge of launching a coup.
    Humouring Trump is more important than defending democracy ?
    Cowardly and craven beyond belief.
    Absolutely, it's not good. I'm just taking some comfort that i don't believe they are actually supporting a coup. Which is a small mercy.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

The ONS weekly deaths are the most worrying thing.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:
    Went begging already, desperation not to be last in list.
    Well you clearly would not have been satisified either way, Malc. If he hadn't gotten an early call you'd have beeen crowing that he was humiliated, but since he did get an early call you're saying he humiliated himself anyway.
  • Options

This is the mentality that leads people to mistake me for a doctor or a taxi driver.

Clarke: "If you go to the IT department at the FA, there's a lot more south Asians than there are Afro-Caribbeans. They have different career interests."
    Surely your choice in fashion clearly gives the game away that you are neither of those ;-)
  • Options

It looks like Russia was the winner of the war between Azerbaijan and Armenia.

https://twitter.com/aldin_ww/status/1326215357074468864

Pretty successful outcome to be winner of a war you were not a participant in.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Anyone think it’s 100% cold stone dead? Of course you don’t, because that would be thinking in a universe where all the current rules and laws are followed, but we know the coming weeks will not be like that. The longer it goes on without conceding the more you know they are having dialogue behind the scenes, the Republicans have 70% of the party behind Trump and very nearly half of everyone who voted, that’s immense pressure, don’t underestimate that. Some examples of the alternate universe to expect, recounts which return different results, Supreme Court ruling if you wrote it Pence it gets counted for Trump Pence, etc.

If Biden wins Arizona and Penn. its with much smaller margins than we thought a few days ago. Is there anyone who really thinks it’s 100% over?
    It is 100% stone cold over. The election is done, and Biden won.
  • Options

dixiedean said:

To be fair in regards to that, I believe he said that is what coaches told him? I don't know the context. Was he saying this is what coaches say, thus girls are crap at football or was he saying coaches say this and thus we need to change coaching? I honestly don't know.
    As the head of a large organisation he ought not to leave any doubt.
  • Options
    alex_ said:

I don't think anyone really knows what Trump's legal strategy is. He doesn't appear to have one.

So the legal cases are either designed simply to raise a lot of money to be diverted to campaign debts and/or line his pocket, or they are just intended to buy time until something turns up. Maybe a war or something that calls for a declaration of a national emergency that prevents the electoral college from assembling or something.
    I don't think Trump and his cheerleaders expect to overturn the EVs, I think this is more about causing the maximum amount of disruption and anger he can and to keep the US totally split. Trump by nature is a bully. Even if Biden wins GA and AZ when the dust settles and gets to the same number of EVs Trump did 4 years (and that he called a landslide!) he isn't accepting it. Him being a sore and bitter loser is priced in to most of the GOP and a huge proportion of the 70 million who voted for him sadly.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,057
    alex_ said:

Pulpstar said:

alex_ said:

Absolutely, it's not good. I'm just taking some comfort that i don't believe they are actually supporting a coup. Which is a small mercy.
    The problem is that if things do escalate in that direction, they may already be too committed to take the moral high ground.
  • Options
    FlatlanderFlatlander Posts: 3,886
    edited November 2020
    Trump cheats at golf. As any true golfer knows, this is a terrible crime and far far worse than trying to cheat at elections.

By all accounts this isn't just putting the marker back a bit nearer the hole cheating, either. It is the full foot-iron and Goldfinger trouser leg tactics.

He'll be barred from the club house soon enough. Someone will just have to make sure he doesn't turn up in the dead of night and pour oil on the greens.

PS
    I see that he was very recently granted planning permission for a second course at Menie north of Aberdeen. I'm not sure how the first one got past the planners given that this was one of the last unmanaged dune systems in the UK, but a second??

• Options
    edited November 2020

HYUFD said:

EIther he has gone down a dark path, or is enjoying or sees advantage in pretending to do down a dark path, which amounts to the same thing.

I feel like the arch anti-wokists are a bit like Green parties which are also very very far left - it seems perfectly possible for them to make some good points, I might even agree with plenty of it, but is it really necessary for them to also adopt a bunch of crazy shit along side it?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Do you not think there may be a number of associates likely to accompany Trump into chokey when he finally gets his collar felt? They'd be as anxious as him to delay the day by whatever means.
  • Options
    edited November 2020

alex_ said:

Pulpstar said:

alex_ said:

The problem is that if things do escalate in that direction, they may already be too committed to take the moral high ground.
    Hence "playing a very dangerous game"
  • Options
    HYUFD said:
    Yes, the challenges are appropriate, even the ones already dismissed for haing no evidence or being logically and legally absurd.
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    dixiedean said:

dixiedean said:

As the head of a large organisation he ought not to leave any doubt.
    Well he is clearly as thick as mince. Even a sexist racist homophobe in front of parliamentary select committee would know some stock responses e.g. why no openly gay players...has in the past been a hostile environment, concerns about how fans react, other sports like rugby been better, we strive to do more to make it such that should a player wish to come out they know there will be full backing and support....instead, well its a lifestyle choice innit.
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

alex_ said:

I don't think Trump and his cheerleaders expect to overturn the EVs, I think this is more about causing the maximum amount of disruption and anger he can and to keep the US totally split. Trump by nature is a bully. Even if Biden wins GA and AZ when the dust settles and gets to the same number of EVs Trump did 4 years (and that he called a landslide!) he isn't accepting it. Him being a sore and bitter loser is priced in to most of the GOP and a huge proportion of the 70 million who voted for him sadly.
    One thing Biden is doing is NOT playing Trump's game right now. Just busily prepping up his transition team.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

alex_ said:

People don't have any balls and will do a lot for a quiet life from their supporters. Personally I'd think having the job was not worth debasing myself so much, but that'll be what I'm not a member of the US Senate. Plus I'm not a millionaire.
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:
    Nah we are always told political marches are dead safe when it comes to covid....
  • Options
    Roy_G_Biv said:
    New cases running at around 125,000 a day now.

I won't be going.
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 5,818
    HYUFD said:
    Great timing after Johnson congratulated Biden.
  • Options
    gealbhan said:

Yes. Everyone sane who isn't a pizzagate QAnon conspiracy lunatic knows it is 100% over.

Which is why Fox has called it and why Boris, Netanyahu etc have all congratulated Biden on winning.

Trump's hopes are as dead as John Cleese's Norwegian Blue.
This discussion has been closed.