Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

UK punters getting nervous about Biden’s prospects and the money is going on Trump – politicalbettin

14567810»

Comments

• Options
    NerysHughesNerysHughes Posts: 3,347

O/T but of interest. The vaccine announcement will happen very soon. GP surgeries are being told to prepare including details of how to store the vaccine at minus 70. Over 85s and front line staff will be first. First injections first week of December. Source Nursing in practice publication Pulse.

I always found the lockdown announcement very odd, but I can see the reason now. They did not want the country to go mad when the vaccine announcement is made ie go to the pub and get pissed so they have shut them.

Minus 70! You sure about that? I’m out of touch now, but I think it highly unlikely that any surgery has the kit to reach that sort of temperature.
    Anyway the vaccine would be solid!
    https://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/breaking-news/covid-vaccine-des-set-to-be-announced-imminently-for-december-start/
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328

This thread has been shut down like a golf course under the new lockdown rules....

Is that a Trump golf course?
  • Options

NEW THREAD

• Options

O/T but of interest. The vaccine announcement will happen very soon. GP surgeries are being told to prepare including details of how to store the vaccine at minus 70. Over 85s and front line staff will be first. First injections first week of December. Source Nursing in practice publication Pulse.

I always found the lockdown announcement very odd, but I can see the reason now. They did not want the country to go mad when the vaccine announcement is made ie go to the pub and get pissed so they have shut them.

Minus 70! You sure about that? I’m out of touch now, but I think it highly unlikely that any surgery has the kit to reach that sort of temperature.
    I may have mentioned this before but a friend of mine is chief pharmacist for one of the health trusts. He has already spoken of the fact that the information he is being given is that the vaccine will be in two or three jabs, with the jabs needing to be prepared in a medium at the point of delivery and being kept at -70 (he actually said -80) degrees. He was very dubious about the ability of our current health care infrastructure to deliver a viable mass vaccination campaign under those circumstances.
    On this point, is this not where the 7 'Mass Vaccination Centres' come in? I thought the idea was to vaccinate at those rather than GP surgeries?

https://www.economist.com/britain/2020/10/07/britain-prepares-to-roll-out-a-covid-19-vaccine
    I hadn't heard about that. It seems a surprisingly sensible way to go.
  • Options
    OmniumOmnium Posts: 9,786

I may have mentioned this before but a friend of mine is chief pharmacist for one of the health trusts. He has already spoken of the fact that the information he is being given is that the vaccine will be in two or three jabs, with the jabs needing to be prepared in a medium at the point of delivery and being kept at -70 (he actually said -80) degrees. He was very dubious about the ability of our current health care infrastructure to deliver a viable mass vaccination campaign under those circumstances.
    There are many vaccines. None of them yet proved. It may be that one of those requires very low temperatures, but beyond the usual medical range it's hard to imagine they all do.

It'd clearly be unwise to inject anyone with a serum at minus 70 anyway. Any such would have to be delivered at closer to blood temperature.
  • Options
    Omnium said:

There are many vaccines. None of them yet proved. It may be that one of those requires very low temperatures, but beyond the usual medical range it's hard to imagine they all do.

It'd clearly be unwise to inject anyone with a serum at minus 70 anyway. Any such would have to be delivered at closer to blood temperature.
    I think the point was it is kept at that temperature until it is about to be injected.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Alistair said:
    Great to see. And will be clocked in other places, one hopes. You can't downgrade the status of women like this. Not in 2020. Cons should drop it. Keep chuntering about it if they must, but drop it as a serious notion.
  • Options

This thread has been shut down like a golf course under the new lockdown rules....

This thread is just about keeping going like me exercising by practicising golf shots on nearby public open space from Thursday, which apparently is within the law.
  • Options
    TimT said:

Anyway the vaccine would be solid!
    Most diagnostic and research labs have -25 and -85 freezers.
    They may even have liquid nitrogen dewars for -190 storage.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,657
    stodge said:

So to the state polls and make your mind up time for me on the Stodge Master map.

I'll start with an easy one - a rare poll from South Dakota which Trump won by 30 in 2016:

https://www.southdacola.com/blog/2020/11/survey-nielson-brothers-polling-nbp-statewide-survey-october-24-28-2020/

Some quite old data but a 15-point Trump lead would be a 7.5% swing to Biden so well in line with the 7% swings from Kansas and Oklahoma. A similar swing in Montana would make the state a marginal for 2024.

Elsewhere, time to firm up on some of my marginal states. Florida remains very confusing but on balance I think Biden will take it. I also think he'll hold Nevada but Georgia and Texas will stay Red as will Iowa.

I'm putting North Carolina in the Blue side and as my risk of the evening, I'm giving Ohio to the Democrats so that's far from convincing.

With all that, my final total is 353-185 for Biden.

https://www.270towin.com/maps/AzZ6m

I'm really worried I've overcooked Biden a little but if he wins by 8% nationally he's going to carry all the previous marginals and head into the next level of Red states. Ohio was won by eight last time so it would be a big ask for Biden to carry it but that's the gamble part of this.

Yes, Ohio could swing Dem. Interesting piece on 5Live earlier, on farms there being stressed by Trumps trade war with China. Soybean farmers very unhappy and some bankruptcies and suicides. The other Great Lakes States are swinging, so why not Ohio? Lots of Soybeans in Iowa too, I believe.

I followed you in on the Melbourne cup. A nice 20:1 winner that pays for tonight's refreshments 🤠
This discussion has been closed.