Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

UK punters getting nervous about Biden’s prospects and the money is going on Trump – politicalbettin

Comments

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,226
    Nigelb said:

This site will be in absolute turmoil if Trump wins, I can imagine posters needing counselling for PTSD.

I will be mildly surprised, and deeply disappointed in the US public.
    Me too. But it's not going to happen. America is not totally gone.
  • Options
    Further on Pinellas:

OTOH, if I apply the percentages in this poll:

http://stpetepolls.org/files/StPetePolls_2020_Pinellas_November2_I6EUB.pdf

of registered Republicans/Democrats/Other who would vote Biden/Trump to my estimates of the total numbers of voters of each registered type, I get 332K Biden, 260K Trump, which would be an 8+% shift to Biden compared with 2016. However, I'm a bit wary of such calculations because they are really just restating what the opinion poll reported.

• Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688

gealbhan said:

Barnesian said:

Biden is coming home on Betfair. Now down to 1.46

Trump is out beyond 3 now – and has been sliding for a while. What is driving this?
    There’s a lot of counting going on, not just voting, and a lot of observers out there.
    At what point is it already too late to be on the Biden landslide?

I suggest value in Senate bets. The Dems take the senate, but the value could be in better than expected.
    No chance of a Biden Landslide 320 would be his maximum IMO

You may be right. However, I should point out that strictly speaking and according to the polls there is PLENTY of chance of Biden getting a landslide. Putting 'No chance' is hyperbole.

If the most recent reliable polls are correct then landslide is well within his reach.

Assuming 350 counts as a landslide.

No presidential candidate from either side has gone into an election with such a commanding average lead since Barack Obama in 2008, who won 365 EVs.

Not me, Not you. That's the data talking.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
    I hear all the scare stories of having to go hundreds of miles to get a test, but it bears no relation to the reality for myself and people I know, who have got tests the day after requested and the results within 36 hours.
  • Options
    Mal557Mal557 Posts: 662
    It's far too early to make any actual solid predictions but one thing that the FL votes so far does suggest to me and I think someone else mentioned this. How many registered R voters and NPA voters swing away from Trump (simply because he's Trump) will go some way to deciding the overall result . How many that might be I have no idea at all
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,871
    Miami Dade not live reporting today apparently along with 7 other Counties
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Trump's now out at 3 on Betfair. That's some shift since this morning. Any ideas why?

Perhaps because the pollsters are still showing an 8 point difference between them?
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,273

rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:
    I think he's right to have the Dems picking up Wisconsin and Michigan.

The issue for the President is that he then needs to pick up every one of half a dozen other states: Arizona, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Florida and Iowa.

And I don't think he gets lucky twice.
    But Robert. They are related contingencies. If Trump wins PA then on Nate Silver’s model he becomes odds on for the Presidency. He becomes favourite in Arizona and a shorter favourite than he already is in the other 5 states. As you’ve said yourself, if the polls are wrong they are likely to be consistently wrong in the same direction.
    I completely understand related contingencies. But I'm also working on the theory that the national polls are not completely off. That means I'm assuming that Biden ends up with a minimum four point national vote share lead.

Now, it's theoretically possible his votes could be so inefficiently spread that he loses with a four point lead. But it's not likely.
    I think the assumption that high turnout benefits Biden may be wrong. Put simply, if the polls are right about Trump’s satisfaction rating and they all turn out to vote, then he wins. It’s a mistake to see 2016 as his high-water mark.
    Yes, as in 2004 when an increase in turnout gave Bush II a popular vote win.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Mal557 said:

Mal557 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

The issue for the President is that he then needs to pick up every one of half a dozen other states: Arizona, Texas, Georgia, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, Florida and Iowa.

But Robert. They are related contingencies. If Trump wins PA then on Nate Silver’s model he becomes odds on for the Presidency. He becomes favourite in Arizona and a shorter favourite than he already is in the other 5 states. As you’ve said yourself, if the polls are wrong they are likely to be consistently wrong in the same direction.
    I've always thought all along PA would be where it was ultimately won or lost. I am still of that view.
    Well I don't agree. For starters this year Pa. won't declare for days.

I will resist using the word normalcy and opt for recency. We only think Pennsylvania is crucial because it was last time. There will be other states which really land the sucker punches this time round. Florida and Georgia being good examples.
    Show your working on FL! See also @Richard_Nabavi 's post just now!
    It's correct to say FL, or GA or even TX could land the sucker punch. but my view has always been that Trump will hold all 3, narrowly yes but still hold them. On the other side I feel positive about Biden getting AZ , MI, and WI back, despite Mr Cahalys views. Which for me brings it all back to PA, however long that state takes to declare fully.
    So yes PA MIGHT not be important after all, my view is it will be.
    Early signs (from what other posters are seeing on the votes coming in) in FL suggest that Trump is doing pretty well. Again very early days but for me PA is looking more and more like it really will be the tipping state.
    I think if Biden gets AZ, MI and WI, then the 2nd district of Nebraska would do as well as Pennsylvania, wouldn't it?
  • Options
    If Biden wins the popular vote by 6m+ and loses the election I will wee myself laughing. Its the same as our system - the national vote doesn't count for anything if you pile your vote up in safe seats / states and narrowly miss others.
  • Options

If Biden wins the popular vote by 6m+ and loses the election I will wee myself laughing. Its the same as our system - the national vote doesn't count for anything if you pile your vote up in safe seats / states and narrowly miss others.

There will be a LOT of people on here screeching if that happens!
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I completely understand related contingencies. But I'm also working on the theory that the national polls are not completely off. That means I'm assuming that Biden ends up with a minimum four point national vote share lead.

Now, it's theoretically possible his votes could be so inefficiently spread that he loses with a four point lead. But it's not likely.
    I think the assumption that high turnout benefits Biden may be wrong. Put simply, if the polls are right about Trump’s satisfaction rating and they all turn out to vote, then he wins. It’s a mistake to see 2016 as his high-water mark.
    I posted earlier a tweet from Michael Caley, the most left wing Democrat in the USA, saying that "anecdotal reports of high turnout have predicted 11 of the last 4 democratic landslides"

This sheet might be interesting for people following it through the night. He is an unpalatably smug, woke lefty, but I reckon he is pretty thorough in his data

https://twitter.com/MC_of_A/status/1323609538919124992?s=20
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,340
    edited November 2020
    Mal557 said:

It's far too early to make any actual solid predictions but one thing that the FL votes so far does suggest to me and I think someone else mentioned this. How many registered R voters and NPA voters swing away from Trump (simply because he's Trump) will go some way to deciding the overall result . How many that might be I have no idea at all

Deleted - covered by Richard N a few posts down.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    edited November 2020
    Roger said:

Trump's now out at 3 on Betfair. That's some shift since this morning. Any ideas why?

Perhaps because the pollsters are still showing an 8 point difference between them?
    Yes but that fact hasn't changed. His price has – it's drifted a lot since this morning (our morning).
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

?? His satisfaction rating is -10!!
  • Options
    LostPasswordLostPassword Posts: 15,273
    TimT said:

More dirty, voter-suppressing, tactics:

"Dana Nessel, the attorney general of Michigan, revealed on Twitter her office has received reports of robocalls going to residents of Flint telling them they should vote Wednesday, November 4, "due to long lines.""

Is that illegal? Any chance of those responsible being caught and thrown in the slammer?
  • Options
    edited November 2020

It will be a tragedy for democracy but you will laugh.

As I say, weird person.

Still, that's what I have been predicting all along.
  • Options

I have to say the Pinellas county results don't look good for Biden. Figures reported as at 15:30, i.e. after 3.5 hours out of 12

Registered Republicans: Early and Mail 164.7K, On day: 21.0K. Pro-rata for rest of day = 76.5K, total 241K
    Registered Democrats: Early and Mail 179.6K, On day: 9.0K. Pro-rata for rest of day = 34.1K, total 214K
    NPA/Other: Early and Mail 109.7K, On day: 11.1K. Pro-rata for rest of day = 40.5K, total 150K

Compared with 2016, that's registered Republicans up by 31%, registered Dems by 10%. NPA and Others up 18%.

This is a county which Trump won by just over 1% last time.

OK, maybe Dems and others will vote later today in larger numbers than Republicans, and maybe a shed-load of Republicans and NPAs have shifted from Trump to Biden, but it's not exactly looking like Republicans are staying at home.

And if there are delays in reporting, that makes it even worse for Biden because the pro-rata on the day figure would be larger.

Funnily enough, St Pete's have just released a last poll of Pinellas (https://floridapolitics.com/archives/380219-poll-donald-trump-gains-in-pinellas-county-but-still-trails-joe-biden-9-points)

It shows Trump getting 10% of registered Dem votes, and Biden getting 16% of registered Rep votes. Biden also winning NPAs 58-40.
    Crunching those numbers against your estimated end of day totals gives:
    Biden 318k
    Trump 284k.

The lesson I'd take is that we can be sure of basically nothing from turnout by party registration. So chill till they start actually counting the votes!
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    edited November 2020
    Chris said:

Mal557 said:

Mal557 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I've always thought all along PA would be where it was ultimately won or lost. I am still of that view.

I will resist using the word normalcy and opt for recency. We only think Pennsylvania is crucial because it was last time. There will be other states which really land the sucker punches this time round. Florida and Georgia being good examples.
    It's correct to say FL, or GA or even TX could land the sucker punch. but my view has always been that Trump will hold all 3, narrowly yes but still hold them. On the other side I feel positive about Biden getting AZ , MI, and WI back, despite Mr Cahalys views. Which for me brings it all back to PA, however long that state takes to declare fully.
    Early signs (from what other posters are seeing on the votes coming in) in FL suggest that Trump is doing pretty well. Again very early days but for me PA is looking more and more like it really will be the tipping state.
    I think if Biden gets AZ, MI and WI, then the 2nd district of Nebraska would do as well as Pennsylvania, wouldn't it?
    Indeed, NE2 (or ME2) would be enough for Biden.

But if it is 270-268 or even 271-267 how nervous would everyone then be about faithless electors?
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited November 2020
    As of the latest update the electorate in Florida is now more registered Republican than 2016.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

This site will be in absolute turmoil if Trump wins, I can imagine posters needing counselling for PTSD.

I would be very disappointed but not totally shocked. My projection is that Biden only wins narrowly(with 289) so it only takes one state to go the other way (PA in my projection) . Though Biden wining the NV by prob at least 4% of all votes cast would again show up the whole issue of the EV system far more than it did with Clinton.
    Farage would be insufferable for a while as well.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Chris said:

Mal557 said:

Mal557 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Indeed, NE2 (or ME2) would be enough for Biden.

But if it is 270-268 or even 271-267 how nervous would everyone then be about faithless electors?
    @HYUFD is predicting 269-269!
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    Terrorism threat level to "severe" in UK - do they have intelligence or just looking at increased activity across Europe?
  • Options

I have to say the Pinellas county results don't look good for Biden. Figures reported as at 15:30, i.e. after 3.5 hours out of 12

Registered Republicans: Early and Mail 164.7K, On day: 21.0K. Pro-rata for rest of day = 76.5K, total 241K
    Registered Democrats: Early and Mail 179.6K, On day: 9.0K. Pro-rata for rest of day = 34.1K, total 214K
    NPA/Other: Early and Mail 109.7K, On day: 11.1K. Pro-rata for rest of day = 40.5K, total 150K

Compared with 2016, that's registered Republicans up by 31%, registered Dems by 10%. NPA and Others up 18%.

OK, maybe Dems and others will vote later today in larger numbers than Republicans, and maybe a shed-load of Republicans and NPAs have shifted from Trump to Biden, but it's not exactly looking like Republicans are staying at home.

And if there are delays in reporting, that makes it even worse for Biden because the pro-rata on the day figure would be larger.

The lesson I'd take is that we can be sure of basically nothing from turnout by party registration. So chill till they start actually counting the votes!
    Indeed
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    isam said:
    The guy in Austria said he "attended the wrong mosque" - I wonder what if any action was taken against the mosque and iman's there.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    I remember last time there were websites galore trying to predict the result based on information gathered through the day. I don't think they were particularly accurate, although I could be misremembering.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Terrorism threat level to "severe" in UK - do they have intelligence or just looking at increased activity across Europe?

There is a theory that they are being carried out on the eve of lockdowns. I must admit I am worried about my girlfriend working in an inner city state school which has a demographic that is 100% one religion. I hope the schools get shut along with everything else
  • Options
    Floater said:

Maybe they've noticed a pattern of an attack the day before lockdown in France and Austria.
  • Options
  • Options

As I say, weird person.

It isn't a proportional electoral system - neither is ours. I laugh loudly at Corbynite loons screeching about votes cast for Jezbollah vs his predecessors and make the exact same point. It isn't how many votes are cast nationwide, its how many are cast and where they are cast.

If America yet again has a President who loses the vote but wins the electoral college and wants to keep that system how is that a "tragedy for democracy". You get what you vote for, and regardless of who they vote for of whatever party they keep that system and keep partisan interference in elections and keep the rights of the gun owner over the right of kids not to get shot in the classroom and keep a healthcare system thats put to shame by Cuba.

If thats what they want in their own country who are we to argue? I don't want to live there and find the whole place a circus but its not my country to interfere in.
  • Options
    peter_from_putneypeter_from_putney Posts: 6,875
    edited November 2020
    After dipping by 2 ECVs overnight, both Sporting and Spreadex are down another couple of points today at mid-spreads of 308 and 307 ECVs respectively.
    Nothing to get too excited about although they're both something like a dozen ECVs down from their recent highs.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    IanB2 said:

If zoe data is remotely close to being correct that R rate is now down to 1.0, a month of lockdown hopefully will really squish this down.

If Zoe data is correct, we didnt need the lockdown
    And if it's not, we could have ended up killing an awful lot of people.

Either way, we're at a very high level in a number of areas, with the virus spreading into the more vulnerable demographics, and a number of hospitals are already at surge capacity. We've got no flex for an upwards tick. If we didn't absolutely need it, it'll end up helping us reduce the level so we do have some flex for an upwards tick.
  • Options
    I don't like her one bit but doesn't she have a mouth shape which predisposes to that? The BBC had to apologise to her on this very point:

https://www.theneweuropean.co.uk/brexit-news/bbc-issues-apology-to-priti-patel-60014

• Options

Funnily enough, St Pete's have just released a last poll of Pinellas (https://floridapolitics.com/archives/380219-poll-donald-trump-gains-in-pinellas-county-but-still-trails-joe-biden-9-points)

It shows Trump getting 10% of registered Dem votes, and Biden getting 16% of registered Rep votes. Biden also winning NPAs 58-40.
    Biden 318k
    Trump 284k.

1 in 6 R voters switching sounds very high to me despite Trumps marmite appeal. But then I dont know the history of those voters , could some be ones who switched from D to R and now moving back?
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited November 2020

As I say, weird person.

I don't think its that weird. In 2016 when Trump won I was shocked and disappointed but also found it rather funny.

I kind of assumed he'd drop the white supremacist nonsense and tack to being more "normal" - I was wrong in that.

I pretty quickly stopped finding the idea of Trump as President as being funny. That joke isn't funny anymore and its well past time for him to go.
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

As of the latest update the electorate in Florida is now more registered Republican than 2016.

Fairly meaningless if 16% of them are voting for Biden as the Pinellas County poll posted by JamesDoyle above suggests.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I posted earlier a tweet from Michael Caley, the most left wing Democrat in the USA, saying that "anecdotal reports of high turnout have predicted 11 of the last 4 democratic landslides"

This sheet might be interesting for people following it through the night. He is an unpalatably smug, woke lefty, but I reckon he is pretty thorough in his data

Thanks. This could be useful tonight.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1oKDtFjbFrRalTgsZFC_NbUPHRQtL2FpM6iMCBluHI7k/edit#gid=0
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    isam said:
    Except that he comes back to "de-radicalisation, but better", because the alternative - locking them up forever, isn't palatable.
  • Options
    MightyAlexMightyAlex Posts: 1,447
    edited November 2020
    oops
  • Options

Biden 318k
    Trump 284k.

This is key - for Florida and nationally. Biden to get more GOP votes than Trump will get Dems and to win more of the NPA vote.
  • Options

As I say, weird person.

I don't think its that weird. In 2016 when Trump won I was shocked and disappointed but also found it rather funny.

I kind of assumed he'd drop the white supremacist nonsense and tack to being more "normal" - I was wrong in that.

I pretty quickly stopped finding the idea of Trump as President as being funny. That joke isn't funny anymore and its well past time for him to go.
    Blackpool World Fireworks Championship 2019

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rc0eKDEx9Q
  • Options
    MrEdMrEd Posts: 5,578

rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I've no idea how you compute that. Trump's disapproval rating is significant for an incumbent president.

Unless of course you're using Trafalgar group, in which case ...meh
    It would be that white non-college voters turn out this time when they didn't last time.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Florida polls open 7am to 7pm ET.

So we are now 4 hours into 12 hours of polling.

Broward: Election Day vote = 6% of total vote

Palm Beach: Election Day vote = 7% of total vote

No idea of historic trends - ie whether many more people tend to vote early evening - but on the face of it the election day vote appears pretty modest so far.

7pm?!!!!! What’s wrong the US?
    I wish it were 2pm
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    Could someone please post the link for the voting totals in Pinellas county.
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I've no idea how you compute that. Trump's disapproval rating is significant for an incumbent president.

It would be that white non-college voters turn out this time when they didn't last time.
    But they did
  • Options
    edited November 2020
    Election Project has updated early vote numbers:

Florida:

Reg Dem lead reg Rep by 115k (3,548k - 3,432k)
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    https://tqv.vrswebapps.com/?state=FL&county=pin
    Sean_F said:

• Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited November 2020
    OllyT said:

Fairly meaningless if 16% of them are voting for Biden as the Pinellas County poll posted by JamesDoyle above suggests.
    Good luck with that. Polls always show this nonsense and it's always wrong,

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article111982322.html

Trump won the 2020 Florida GOP primary with 94% of the vote!
  • Options
    turbotubbsturbotubbs Posts: 15,202
    isam said:

I hear all the scare stories of having to go hundreds of miles to get a test, but it bears no relation to the reality for myself and people I know, who have got tests the day after requested and the results within 36 hours.
    I think there was a genuine issue when the schools went back, and capacity didn't exceed demand by very much, but now it seems to be fine. No-one round here who needs a test has struggled, and the results are typically 36 hours.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

One thing to consider in FL. One theory that Ralston supported in NV was that how an independent voted could be a good indicator of which way they would vote for by party. So, if you had independents who were heavy VBM users, that could indicate they were more likely to vote D than R given D's use of VBM.

Worth noting in FL that a lot of the UFAs are voting "like" Republicans i.e. less VBM, more IPEV and on the day voting.

It might be wrong but point to consider
  • Options
    MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I was referring to using the "satisfaction rating." Trump doesn't have one. He's got a disapproval rating of something c. -5 to -12.

Quite something for an incumbent president. I think I'm right in saying he has had the worst approval rating of any president in history.

It did for Jimmy Carter and I strongly suspect it will do for Donald Trump.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    MikeL said:

Florida:

I assume that's without Miami-Dade as they are not reporting?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001

rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I think that's broadly right, but I'd reframe it.

Biden has done a great job getting the early Democrat vote out. But the more voting there is on the day, the better it is for Trump.

My guess is that late voting won't be quite as much as people think: the numbers for one third of the Florida voting hours were 6% of 2016 turnout. If that carries through, there will be 18% of 2016 on the day against 94% before. If those are the final numbers (or thereabouts) then that's not good news for Trump.

(Caveat: no-one knows shit.)
  • Options
    PA mail ballot return rate now 81%

Dem - 84%
    Rep - 74%
  • Options
    TimT said:

Sean_F said:

Cross-over by party affiliation imminent - 100 vote difference now.
  • Options
    JUST IN: Florida has now reached 100% of 2016's voter turnout.
  • Options

As I say, weird person.

People who find it funny in a good way that Donald Trump holds the world's highest elected office are not quite the full package. They're missing a piece.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

:smiley:

+1
  • Options

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I was referring to using the "satisfaction rating." Trump doesn't have one. He's got a disapproval rating of something c. -5 to -12.

Quite something for an incumbent president. I think I'm right in saying he has had the worst approval rating of any president in history.

Depends on intensity and (again) whether people vote for him despite being dissatisfied. Trump is the sort of person who disgusts many but who feel as though they need to hold their nose and vote for him
  • Options
    TimT said:

TimT said:

Sean_F said:

Ratio of in day R to D voters still at 2.2
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787

MikeL said:

Florida polls open 7am to 7pm ET.

So we are now 4 hours into 12 hours of polling.

Broward: Election Day vote = 6% of total vote

Palm Beach: Election Day vote = 7% of total vote

No idea of historic trends - ie whether many more people tend to vote early evening - but on the face of it the election day vote appears pretty modest so far.

7pm?!!!!! What’s wrong the US?
    As always it varies by state. Here in New York, polling is 6am to 9pm, so same number of hours as in the UK. And polling stations continue to process those in line at close until they've all voted.

In general the states that have shorter hours have long had early voting to compensate. We've only had early voting in New York since last year.
  • Options
    MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Depends on intensity and (again) whether people vote for him despite being dissatisfied. Trump is the sort of person who disgusts many but who feel as though they need to hold their nose and vote for him
    Look I'm sorry but that's just spurious sophistry.

Okay, so occasionally pollsters under-estimate but there isn't some spectral voting horde that no one can see until Aragorn comes along and commands them out from the mountain.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    TimT said:

Sean_F said:

Thanks.
  • Options

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

But they did
    Which is what the pollsters assume. But there could be another leg up of votes (see rural votes in Nevada)
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

+1
    Note, none of the main US election gurus and tea leaf readers are having live blog sessions parsing Broward and Pinellas numbers as they come in.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,629
    Alistair said:

Trump EC votes is a hilarious market

Favourite is
    180-209 @6

Second favourite is
    270-299 @6.6

Inbetween the two bands are 8.2 and 9.2

You have to consider that the latter is attractive both to those thinking Trump will manage to squeak back in, and those wanting to hedge their large Biden positions.
    It got down to 5.5 earlier today, which was nice (I unwound some of my position).
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341

As I say, weird person.

It isn't a proportional electoral system - neither is ours. I laugh loudly at Corbynite loons screeching about votes cast for Jezbollah vs his predecessors and make the exact same point. It isn't how many votes are cast nationwide, its how many are cast and where they are cast.

If America yet again has a President who loses the vote but wins the electoral college and wants to keep that system how is that a "tragedy for democracy". You get what you vote for, and regardless of who they vote for of whatever party they keep that system and keep partisan interference in elections and keep the rights of the gun owner over the right of kids not to get shot in the classroom and keep a healthcare system thats put to shame by Cuba.

If thats what they want in their own country who are we to argue? I don't want to live there and find the whole place a circus but its not my country to interfere in.
    Surely the point is that most people in America *don't* want that, but the Electoral College silences them.
  • Options

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Okay, so occasionally pollsters under-estimate but there isn't some spectral voting horde that no one can see until Aragorn comes along and commands them out from the mountain.
    A point I made on several occasions here is that, when you go back to the 2016 Brexit voting, the polls were shifting in Leave's favour. Then Jo Cox was murdered and Remain led most of them. The most obvious explanation is people felt embarrassed about voting for Brexit.

Trump is that kind of figure.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

C'mon you dead - vote early, vote often.....
  • Options
    MrEd said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

Sean_F said:

Crossover in 10 minutes

• Options
    edited November 2020

MikeL said:

Florida:

No. It definitely includes Miami-Dade.

Total Early Vote as % of Registered Voters:

FL Total - 64.5%

Miami-Dade - 63.1%
    Broward - 63.3%
    Palm Beach - 59.0%
    Pinellas - 61.2%
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Biden has done a great job getting the early Democrat vote out. But the more voting there is on the day, the better it is for Trump.

My guess is that late voting won't be quite as much as people think: the numbers for one third of the Florida voting hours were 6% of 2016 turnout. If that carries through, there will be 18% of 2016 on the day against 94% before. If those are the final numbers (or thereabouts) then that's not good news for Trump.

I don't know the breakdown of voting numbers by time of day but surely the last 4 hours of voting time will be much heavier than the first? or even second ? so I'd expect way more than 6% certainly in the last few hours no?
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,913

OllyT said:

Good luck with that. Polls always show this nonsense and it's always wrong,

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/politics-government/article111982322.html

Trump won the 2020 Florida GOP primary with 94% of the vote!
    Back to the good old "all the polls are wrong" schtick.

Winning the GOP primary means the square-root of SFA
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Isn't that what happened in 2016? ;)
  • Options

MrEd said:

MrEd said:

rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

C'mon you dead - vote early, vote often.....

• Options
    edited November 2020
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

Florida:

FL Total - 64.5%

Miami-Dade - 63.1%
    Broward - 63.3%
    Palm Beach - 59.0%
    Pinellas - 61.2%
    Oh yes. My bad. It's just the OTD "live" reporting that Miami is not doing, I believe?
  • Options

MrEd said:

TimT said:

TimT said:

Sean_F said:

Crossover in 10 minutes

Already happened
  • Options

MikeL said:

MikeL said:

Florida:

FL Total - 64.5%

Miami-Dade - 63.1%
    Broward - 63.3%
    Palm Beach - 59.0%
    Pinellas - 61.2%
    Oh yes. My bad. It's just the OTD "live" reporting that Miami is not doing, I believe?
    Yes, that's right - at least website isn't working - whether OTD numbers are available somewhere else I don't know.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

MikeL said:

Florida:

FL Total - 64.5%

Miami-Dade - 63.1%
    Broward - 63.3%
    Palm Beach - 59.0%
    Pinellas - 61.2%
    how do those county % stack up with 2016? Those don't look good % for Biden , or are those states traditonally that low.
  • Options
    MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 44,429
    kinabalu said:

As I say, weird person.

People who find it funny in a good way that Donald Trump holds the world's highest elected office are not quite the full package. They're missing a piece.
    It depends on your sense of humour. If you have the kind of sense of humour that inspired the Devils Diictionary.....

viz - AMBITION, n. An overmastering desire to be vilified by enemies while living and made ridiculous by friends when dead.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

As I say, weird person.

It was funny in a slapstick, tragic way not in a good way.

I don't find it funny anymore and haven't for years but at first I did. In the same way it was funny to watch Sideshow Bob step on a rake repeatedly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRq1Ksh-32g
  • Options
    Mr Ed is slipping we had Crossover 7 mins ago
  • Options
    Sounds deliberate rather than a loophole?

If its the case that someone eg ordering a meal in advance can call up and order food and alcohol that is a reasonable compromise.
  • Options

Mr Ed is slipping we had Crossover 7 mins ago

Too busy masturbating furiously
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

There will be a LOT of people on here screeching if that happens!
    On the plus side, you'd be able to laugh at the sap who just lost a million quid bet....
  • Options
    Mal557 said:

kinabalu said:

Nigelb said:

I would be very disappointed but not totally shocked. My projection is that Biden only wins narrowly(with 289) so it only takes one state to go the other way (PA in my projection) . Though Biden wining the NV by prob at least 4% of all votes cast would again show up the whole issue of the EV system far more than it did with Clinton.
    Farage would be insufferable for a while as well.
    I'm nervous of course but I'm feeling strong about this. 12m PV margin for Biden. 10m at the very least. That must be a clear win in the EC. It takes a distribution beyond freakish to prevent it.
  • Options
    Looking at a few counties in Florida, there seem to be fewer R voters than last time with already more votes cast so far.

Doesn't look good for Trump, especially if unaffiliated break more for Biden.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    In 2016 Pinellas turnout

Gop: 193000
    Dem: 183000
    Una: 107000

For an end result of

TRUMP: 239000ish
    CLINTON: 233000ish
  • Options
    LadyGLadyG Posts: 2,221
    OK. Ready to go.

Calling this for Trump. He will edge the swing states and take a couple of surprising Dem states. He'll win the popular vote, as well.

Take THAT and smoke it in your poncey meerschaum pipes of psephological wankpiffle
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,201
    LadyG said:

OK. Ready to go.

Calling this for Trump. He will edge the swing states and take a couple of surprising Dem states. He'll win the popular vote, as well.

Take THAT and smoke it in your poncey meerschaum pipes of psephological wankpiffle

You do surprise me.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,665
    Mal557 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

I don't know the breakdown of voting numbers by time of day but surely the last 4 hours of voting time will be much heavier than the first? or even second ? so I'd expect way more than 6% certainly in the last few hours no?
    Americans do seem to close the polling stations early, so not so much opportunity for evening voting on the day as the UK.

Busy day at work, and evening clinic ahead still before popping a cork for election drinkies.

I find the chicken entrails substitute of assessing polling queues as a rather poor substitute for authentic entrails in forecasting!
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    LadyG said:

OK. Ready to go.

Looking forward to your comments during election night.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Mal557 said:

rcs1000 said:

rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Americans do seem to close the polling stations early, so not so much opportunity for evening voting on the day as the UK.

Busy day at work, and evening clinic ahead still before popping a cork for election drinkies.

I find the chicken entrails substitute of assessing polling queues as a rather poor substitute for authentic entrails in forecasting!
    Having grown up in Cyprus, coffee dregs are still my preferred mode of forecasting ...
  • Options
    isam said:

rcs1000 said:

stjohn said:

rcs1000 said:

Andy_JS said:

Eh?
  • Options
    Overall position in Florida 110k lead at start of day down to 83k lead

https://joeisdone.github.io/florida/
This discussion has been closed.