Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betfair voids its London Mayoral 2020 market following the ele

Comments

• MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 51,773
    Chameleon said:

TOPPING said:

They need to stfu. I get really bad bouts of depression even after short periods of isolation. Such measures should not be taken lightly and could do far more harm than good.

I am tentatively supportive of the Government plan so far.
    That is what PB is for. Never alone, especially if you have strong views on pizza toppings.
    The issue with pizza toppings is that there's not a lot to do once we all agree that pineapple, chicken and olive pizza is objectively the ultimate pizza.
    Olive? ON A PIZZA?

Actually, olive on anything renders it fit only for the garbage.
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,424

Chameleon said:

TOPPING said:

They need to stfu. I get really bad bouts of depression even after short periods of isolation. Such measures should not be taken lightly and could do far more harm than good.

That is what PB is for. Never alone, especially if you have strong views on pizza toppings.
    The issue with pizza toppings is that there's not a lot to do once we all agree that pineapple, chicken and olive pizza is objectively the ultimate pizza.
    Olive? ON A PIZZA?

Is that like when you hear a festival have booked Radiohead to play?
  • glwglw Posts: 9,799

I see Trump has tested negative...he is going to be one of those genetic freaks that is naturally immune isn't he.

He'll not be immune to the political & economic consequences though.
    Comical Ali did a better job than Trump has so far...there is no VVVCChinese Coronaaaaaaa (dead air for 2s) Virus in America....
    He may not be infected with coronavirus, but he sure as hell has not sounded well. He does seem to have bouts of breathlessness.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,012

Foss said:

Ok, so how bad do we reckon the economic impact is going to be?

Flat growth? short recession? full-on crash? once in a century depression?

For what it's worth I think it's going to be very bad. Just look at the sectors currently facing an uncertain future:

Airlines
    Cruise companies
    Travel agents
    Restaurants
    Pubs
    Cinemas
    Theatres/concerts/festivals
    Sports
    UK tourism
    Insurance
    Manufacturing (staff/supplies)
    Banking (bad debts)
    Housing (price)
    High street retailers

I am sure there are others I haven't considered too.

Hard copy press. If a paper has to stop printing, what’s the likelihood that they’ll start again ?
    Good point. It does rather screw up my contingency plan for the toilet roll shortage though!
    :D
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 34,383
    malcolmg said:

maaarsh said:

Just in a Costa at an out-of-town retail park in Newcastle. It’s packed, nobody is wearing gloves, nobody is wearing a mask.

Neither am I, to be fair.

Wifey has just come back from Asda Thornaby. Described it as being "Christmas Eve" in there - people frantically buying everything, showing past each other, blocking, the whole Jingle All The Way experience.
    Sunday is an awful day to go to a supermarket even in normal times.
    Normal in M&S this morning and very good stock of all the stuff which is selling out elsewhere. If panic had really set in people would be putting their hand in their pocket for a better quality of survival provision.
    Yes , yesterday in Sainsbury's I was able to get real quality Italian penne pasta, £2.50 a packet , the only pasta left on the shelves. Shelves stripped of the cheap stuff but herd did not want to try a quality one obviously.
    Herd immunity to quality already achieved then! :wink:
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,342

DavidL said:

Well I am being sent to our Tescos in Dundee with a little list. Don't buy substitutes, don't get any good ideas, is my clear advice. I fear I may be some time.

Can you reveal the list ?
    Bread, milk, various fruits, chicken, flora, butter, tea, potato chips, Sunday Times. We really haven't mastered this panic buying thing.
  • I thought posters may be interested in my experience of the Wales NHS last night. I saw my doctor last thursday about an abcess and it was agreed that as I had had two courses of antibiotics over another matter, the abcess would be treated with cream.

However by last night it had become very 'angry' so I went at 8.30pm to our local hospital minor injury unit and was triaged by a nurse. I had a temperature and clear indications the abcess was infected. I saw the sister who said I needed to see a doctor tonight and she phoned the main hospital out of hours to arrange an appointment

Some time lapsed when she returned to say she was just about to arrange the appointment only to be told that half an hour earlier an instruction had been received that no one with a temperature could be seen by the doctor without the doctor personally triaging the patient. Now this follows a nursing sister confirming to them the reason for the urgent need, but there was no way through and I returned home to wait the doctors phone call

At 11.30pm the doctor rang me and made an appointment for me to be seen by her at 12.00 midnight. The hospital out of hours is in the same place as the A & E and the waiting time in A & E was 3 hours, it was busy but not more than I expected

At 12.30 am I saw the doctor who immediately precribed a 7 day course of antibiotics and told me to ring back in the morning if I was feeling worse and they would admit me to lance the abcess and put me on IV antibiotics. She was lovely and so kind and I returned home with the antibiotics, taking one immediately and going to bed at about 2.30am

I hope posters do not mind my post but the lessons I learnt are that even those genuinely ill without the virus are having to jump through extraordinary hoops to get the medical attention they need. The system is beng overwhelmed and eveyone in the NHS from reception staff to surgeons need our understanding and patience in this worse peacetime crisis in living memory

And just a point, at both the minor injury unit, the A & E and the Out of Hours not one person, public or professionals were wearing masks other than a young child and his parents in Out of Hours Care

And as I seem to be responding to the antibiotic I will not be going into hospital today at least.

And finally I would just say to all posters, the fear and real worry especially in the elderly, is ill served by some trying to make a case for killing off the elderly and the idiotic idea it is govenment policy.

As someone in the highest risk group on age and underlying conditions I appeal for less politics and more compassion please, and we will get through this in time

Lovely post Big G.

Get well soon.
    Thank you so much. This crisis needs depoliticising
    Absolutely agree. Some people are a bit slow to recognise the seismic shift this will cause. It's way beyond left-right, leave-remain etc.
    I genuinely believe that this will create an earthquake through the way we perceived things pre covid 19, experiencing it, and then adapting to enormous permanent change to so much we took for granted
  • OllyT said:

malcolmg said:

Its amusing watching people lose what's left of their minds on here.

The idea any PM, let alone a Tory PM - or the CSO or CMO are hatching a plan to kill off their elderly voters is the most bonkers thing ever.

Thinking they give a hoot for elderly is the lunatic thing, the PM wants to come out a hero and that is his only concern , your granny popping her clogs will be of no concern to him.
    But with respect to Granny if Coronavirus doesn't do her in there's a good chance any number of other things will - and does. Old people die, especially in winter. Yes I am worried about my frail sick parents. But no more so than normal as they get to the start of every winter joking that it could be their last.

The idea that the PM is going to be responsible for old people dying of this is absurd, even if the strategy is to accept that a decent proportion of them were going to die of something else anyway so what does it matter if its Covid19 that finishes them off instead of normal flu or pneumonia or old age or all the other things that kill "your granny" in their tens of thousands every year.
    As a 70 year old I take exception to the idea that it's OK to let the oldies die because they were on there way out anyway!
    I hear you - my parents are in their early 70s and my dad especially is prime target for this thing. I am *not* saying that we stand back and let this thing kill them and you. Thats why the advice is coming out that you need to take precautions and do what you can to avoid contact with people.

But there are harsh realities here that national strategists have to take into account. And that includes the higher mortality rate amongst people like my dad compared to people like me or my kids. Its awful, but it is what it is. I wouldn't want to be making those decisions...
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,519

Chameleon said:

TOPPING said:

Olive? ON A PIZZA?

Anchovy stuffed olives are one of life's pleasures.
    Problem being if you go, you can't get back. And the last thing the UK Govt. wants is the distraction of getting its people out of Covid-19 hotspots.
  • RobDRobD Posts: 59,583

malcolmg said:

maaarsh said:

Just in a Costa at an out-of-town retail park in Newcastle. It’s packed, nobody is wearing gloves, nobody is wearing a mask.

Wifey has just come back from Asda Thornaby. Described it as being "Christmas Eve" in there - people frantically buying everything, showing past each other, blocking, the whole Jingle All The Way experience.
    Normal in M&S this morning and very good stock of all the stuff which is selling out elsewhere. If panic had really set in people would be putting their hand in their pocket for a better quality of survival provision.
    Yes , yesterday in Sainsbury's I was able to get real quality Italian penne pasta, £2.50 a packet , the only pasta left on the shelves. Shelves stripped of the cheap stuff but herd did not want to try a quality one obviously.
    It does seem like these hoarders are right cheapskates.
    Or they didn't want the Italian stuff. :)
  • FloaterFloater Posts: 14,207
    Anyone seen the report from Germany about the USA trying to get exclusive rights to a vaccine being worked on in Germany - see Guardian live blog.
    Sandpit said:

LOL Sir Richard - that's not happening!

If the government have anything to do with his airline, it'll be helping to underwrite the finance for the company that buys his stricken assets for 10p in the pound.

Exactly. There's very little point proping up airlines when nobody wants to fly, as there are much better uses for that money now. And when it's over all those planes will still have much of their value for any new companies that emerge.

Right now the only thing that makes sense regarding folding airlines is to provide welfare for the employees, but the companies and their shareholders are on their own.
    TOPPING said:

Chameleon said:

TOPPING said:

Olive? ON A PIZZA?

Anchovy stuffed olives are one of life's pleasures.
    You're easily pleased....

Problem being if you go, you can't get back. And the last thing the UK Govt. wants is the distraction of getting its people out of Covid-19 hotspots.
    Sons friend flew to Florida yesterday - was turned around and sent back

Union leaders are calling for private hospital beds in the UK to be used rent free, to ease pressure on NHS hospitals dealing with the coronavirus crisis.

The GMB union has launched a petition urging the prime minister to requisition private hospital beds, amid reports the NHS is to spend up to £2.4m a day to do so.

Tw@ts...they are already being provided at less than the cost of an NHS bed.

£2 million a day is basically nothing in the context of what is going on.
  • ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264
    Some potentially amazing news: https://www.visir.is/g/202020015d/fyrstu-nidurstodur-benda-til-thess-ad-eitt-prosent-landsmanna-se-med-veiruna

Initial results from Icelandic genetic screening indicate that around one percent of the population has the crown virus that causes COVID-19 disease. This was confirmed by Thorolfur Guðnason in a conversation with a news agency today.
    Kári Stefánsson, CEO of Icelandic Genetic Research, says in a conversation with the news agency that there is almost one percent.
    Screening of Icelandic genetic analysis began on Thursday in the Tower at Smáratorg in Kopavogur and it was proposed to take high in a thousand samples a day. Twelve thousand people had screened for the virus on Saturday morning.

Potential evidence of an iceberg effect?
    glw said:

Union leaders are calling for private hospital beds in the UK to be used rent free, to ease pressure on NHS hospitals dealing with the coronavirus crisis.

The GMB union has launched a petition urging the prime minister to requisition private hospital beds, amid reports the NHS is to spend up to £2.4m a day to do so.

If the government could always do such good deals with the private sector we would all be laughing.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,850
    edited March 2020
    Well, we might eventually find out how well-capitalised or not the banks are this time compared to 2008.
    Chameleon said:

Some potentially amazing news: https://www.visir.is/g/202020015d/fyrstu-nidurstodur-benda-til-thess-ad-eitt-prosent-landsmanna-se-med-veiruna

Initial results from Icelandic genetic screening indicate that around one percent of the population has the crown virus that causes COVID-19 disease. This was confirmed by Thorolfur Guðnason in a conversation with a news agency today.
    Kári Stefánsson, CEO of Icelandic Genetic Research, says in a conversation with the news agency that there is almost one percent.
    Screening of Icelandic genetic analysis began on Thursday in the Tower at Smáratorg in Kopavogur and it was proposed to take high in a thousand samples a day. Twelve thousand people had screened for the virus on Saturday morning.

Half asymptomatic. Some are going to wonder what the whole fuss was about.

OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

Johnson’s Herd Immunity/Genocide Project is the very essence Capitalism is founded upon. When push comes to shove if you are the weakest link, goodbye. In a time of crisis like this, Capitalism itself needs to survive, so if you take out the pot and don’t put in during this, goodbye.

In the header, note the word “voids” Liverpool fans.

What a load of rubbish when Boris is about to tell all over 70s to self isolate for 4 months and when building herd immunity in the young will reduce pressure on the NHS next winter

I'm genuinely confused, hasn't the health secretary just told us that herd immunity is not their policy?
    Got to say you are not the only one. Whilst I think the CMO and his team appear to be doing a good job and are, I hope, following the right course, the messaging on this from the Government has been pretty poor over the last week and appears to rely too much on people assuming they know what the officials mean rather than it being explicit.
    They are useless at messaging , Boris hiding for weeks , then wittering about throwing the dice and taking it on the chin, followed by Herd immunity and many of your family will die, whilst saying we have a great plan to come later when we think necessary says it all.
    They are useless tw*ts.
    edited March 2020
    Chameleon said:

They have basically their whole population DNA on record don't they?
    Scott_xP said:
    If they are referring to Hancock's op-ed, it's not paywalled.
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

Chameleon said:

Half asymptomatic. Some are going to wonder what the whole fuss was about.
    All that Viking blood....

Chameleon said:

TOPPING said:

Olive? ON A PIZZA?

And to think, up until recently I'd considered you a very sensible man! Olives are one of life's truest pleasures. I have ample supplies of them to make some olive bread in the forthcoming months.
  • Chameleon said:

36,000 cases in Iceland and 0 deaths ? That would be very interesting, to say the least.
    malcolmg said:

OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

Johnson’s Herd Immunity/Genocide Project is the very essence Capitalism is founded upon. When push comes to shove if you are the weakest link, goodbye. In a time of crisis like this, Capitalism itself needs to survive, so if you take out the pot and don’t put in during this, goodbye.

What a load of rubbish when Boris is about to tell all over 70s to self isolate for 4 months and when building herd immunity in the young will reduce pressure on the NHS next winter

I'm genuinely confused, hasn't the health secretary just told us that herd immunity is not their policy?
    Got to say you are not the only one. Whilst I think the CMO and his team appear to be doing a good job and are, I hope, following the right course, the messaging on this from the Government has been pretty poor over the last week and appears to rely too much on people assuming they know what the officials mean rather than it being explicit.
    They are useless at messaging , Boris hiding for weeks , then wittering about throwing the dice and taking it on the chin, followed by Herd immunity and many of your family will die, whilst saying we have a great plan to come later when we think necessary says it all.
    They are useless tw*ts.
    Throwing the dice? What are you on about. They are following the pandemic strategy that was drawn up several years ago.
    edited March 2020
    Scott_xP said:
    FAKE NEWS...its not paywalled. I know they say on a paywalled website, it is deliberately misleading.

Again the media playing silly buggers.

I don't think I have ever been quite as incensed at the moment at the behaviour of some. From BBC reporting a totally misleading petition of "200" scientists, most of which are students, disagreeing with the government policy and all this misinformation on twitter.
    DavidL said:

Don't buy substitutes, don't get any good ideas, is my clear advice. I fear I may be some time.

I am reminded of Victoria Wood: ""I couldn't get you a raspberry yoghurt. So I got you a meat n potato pie."
    Charles said:

JM1 said:

Charles said:

Why won't people stop with the idiot fake news?

https://twitter.com/philipoltermann/status/1239145627864498176

What happened was the US government proposed funding the development in the form of a licensing deal (fairly standard). Some idiot lawyer sent over the standard template which in life sciences is "exclusive global rights".

That doesn't mean only for the US. That means that the US government will own the intellectual property in return for providing the funding.

Ottermann's insinuation is that they would stop other people having access to it. Which is bullshit.

Charles: how is your understanding of the race to find a successful anti-viral? Any insight there? And, most important, hope your dad is okay and the Hampshire hotspot is not associated with his hospital.
    They are trying two main things at the moment Actema (IL-6 binder that has been shown to help with cytokine storm induced by CAR-T therapy) and Kaletra, which is a combination of two protease inhibitors for HIV that has also been shown to work in HPV.

My Dad has tested positive, but is being well looked after in the said Hampshire hotspot. Thank you for your thoughts.

Sorry to hear that Charles - all the best to you and your family
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    No travel insurance will now cover you in the US.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

malcolmg said:

maaarsh said:

Not around here. Supplies of the most popular hoarding staples were all gone on Friday evening, including the niche and expensive stuff.

Just back from Tescos this morning and it was actually worse than Christmas. Lengthy queues for all payment methods; they've still got about 25 traditional tills in there and each one had at least five or six people with full family-sized trolleys snaking out the back of it.

They are clearly doing their best to keep up with demand and at least some supplies of most of the things that were entirely absent on Friday night (notably flour and tissues) were in evidence. However, the pasta shelf was still completely empty and I missed the last of the bog rolls by about five or ten minutes. There were a few people still walking around with packs of the things in their trolleys but the aisle contained nothing but empty pallets.

Beer supplies also replenished and looking well-stocked again. Except for Corona, that is.

Chameleon said:

TOPPING said:

Olive? ON A PIZZA?

Now you are being silly Mark, Olives enhance almost anything , there are a few exceptions but on a pizza they are lovely.
  • IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

malcolmg said:

maaarsh said:

Nah, the basic principle is you hoard stuff you would only eat in order not to starve. If you make a hoard of Cadburys Fruit and Nut and stuff, 48 hours later you have to hoard all over again.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,276

In Germany, Chancellor Angela Merkel warned earlier this week that up to 70% of the country's population - some 58 million people - could contract the virus.

In all honesty, this doesn't seem much different to the UK strategy. It is just the CMO and CSO spelled it in much blunter terms much earlier.

The Twitterati obviously still think that Boris is trying to murder us all.

I take some comfort in Germany's approach being similar to ours. I might not trust Boris Johnson as far as I can throw him - who in their right mind would? - but I do have confidence in Angela Merkel. She is a political leader of uncommon substance and integrity.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,390
    For all the people saying we should listen to the experts on the science, there seems to be a reluctance to listen to the experts on news management.

BoZo may be managing the crisis well, but he is fucking up the information management, spreading confusion and panic.

He wants to be Churchill, but it's all a bit Chamberlain right now
    edited March 2020

Chameleon said:

36,000 cases in Iceland and 0 deaths ? That would be very interesting, to say the least.
    3,600 cases. But even so, even accounting for delayed onset of symptoms, if only 5-25% of people develop symptoms this is vastly less scary than before.
  • maaarshmaaarsh Posts: 3,480
    TOPPING said:

Is there any sport on today? Cruel Sea at 2pm.

Snooker is on Eurosport, 4 rounds in 1 day so perfect in the circumstances - frankly showing that sports should be pushed to keep going behind closed doors - would do far more for the common good and isolation maintenance where required, than making virtuous press releases about total cancellations.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,858

Mr Mark, just wonderng about your wife.... The last we heard, she was over in the States, if I remember correctly. Hope she is OK.
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Big deal, it shows how shallow these fcukwits are, posting this kind of stuff on a Tory rag which is normally paywalled and I bet was at first.
    How to help your pals, sick gits.
    She needs to take a break from twitter. Brexit has clearly sent her over the edge.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,603
    Scott_xP said:
    He has a point. This lark of giving mysterious, opaque briefings to Pesto etc. from 'government sources' is sowing confusion and unease. This might work when you're trying to wrongfoot your opponents over Brexit or whatever, but in this situation it's just juvenile. Boris needs to get rid of a few egos I think.
  • WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,850
    edited March 2020
    Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

3,600 cases. But even so, even accounting for delayed onset of symptoms, if only 5-25% of people develop symptoms this is vastly less scary than before.
    Ah yes - sorry - a bit of an important calculation slip there ! ;.)
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,876
    malcolmg said:

maaarsh said:

I had a similar experience with the cannelloni - normally it’s quite hard to see, but yesterday was almost the only thing left on the shelf.

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Big deal, it shows how shallow these fcukwits are, posting this kind of stuff on a Tory rag which is normally paywalled and I bet was at first.
    Seriously, calm down.
    Chameleon said:

I would have thought that 1% in Iceland makes claims of 10x the cases in the UK, and 1% in the state of Ohio, look quite moderate.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,165
    My employer makes its money from air travel.

Last week the IATA forecasting we were looking at already looked out of date.

I must now assume 50%+ likelihood of losing my job in the next 3 months. My company has strong financial muscle but I am probably not needed in a “keeping the lights on” scenario. At least I am on 6 months notice period.

I think I am relatively employable?

I have a heavy mortgage but one must hope that in extremis I can move to interest free, and/or govt mandated mortgage holiday.
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

egg said:

They are useless tw*ts.
    Throwing the dice? What are you on about. They are following the pandemic strategy that was drawn up several years ago.
    I am talking about Boris's press conference utterances and his cronies re herd immunity , take it on the chin etc. Did the UK media not reach you in the USA.
    kinabalu said:

In Germany, Chancellor Angela Merkel warned earlier this week that up to 70% of the country's population - some 58 million people - could contract the virus.

In all honesty, this doesn't seem much different to the UK strategy. It is just the CMO and CSO spelled it in much blunter terms much earlier.

I take some comfort in Germany's approach being similar to ours. I might not trust Boris Johnson as far as I can throw him - who in their right mind would? - but I do have confidence in Angela Merkel. She is a political leader of uncommon substance and integrity.
    Neither do I, but if Boris was ignoring the experts we would know, as the media are more than happy to breathlessly report any contradictions.

We have to trust that the team behind the CMO and CSO are calling this one right.

Scott_xP said:
    FAKE NEWS...its not paywalled. I know they say on a paywalled website, it is deliberately misleading.

I don't think I have ever been quite as incensed at the moment at the behaviour of some. From BBC reporting a totally misleading petition of "200" scientists, most of which are students, disagreeing with the government policy and all this misinformation on twitter.
    BBC Radio 5 mentioned the paywall this morning as well.
  • GardenwalkerGardenwalker Posts: 21,165

Scott_xP said:
    He has a point. This lark of giving mysterious, opaque briefings to Pesto etc. from 'government sources' is sowing confusion and unease. This might work when you're trying to wrongfoot your opponents over Brexit or whatever, but in this situation it's just juvenile. Boris needs to get rid of a few egos I think.
    Peston has form for economy-crashing “reporting”.
    kinabalu said:

What bilge. Talking politics about this is vulgar but you're making it really hard not to start pointing out the hypocrisy of German led European unity which sells other countries down the river at the first sign of trouble.
    IshmaelZ said:

malcolmg said:

maaarsh said:

Nah, the basic principle is you hoard stuff you would only eat in order not to starve. If you make a hoard of Cadburys Fruit and Nut and stuff, 48 hours later you have to hoard all over again.
    However buying cheap as chips pasta, unthinkable.
    edited March 2020
    If Boris had been in charge during WWII, I fairly sure the tw@tterati would be cheering on Hitler, just to see his nose rubbed in it.
    glw said:

Scott_xP said:

I think it might have been paywalled for a few moments as it was put up, but I bet that was technical cock up (i.e. the default setting for op-eds these days), rather than a scheme to get desperate punters to cough up for a telegraph subscription.
    glw said:

Scott_xP said:

They were also allowing misleading claims about the cost of leasing private hospital beds last night.
  • Impact on the economy? Think wartime only fewer people end up dead/maimed. A long list of businesses will fold due to the lack of custom. The government's key decision will be whether to keep them afloat so that they can resume service once we get through this, or let them fold and create easy ways to pick up the pieces later. I suggest there are two nodal points that need urgent focus - the banks, and employees. So a couple of things they can consider doing:

1. Suspend repayment on loans. People owe cash to the bank - their house, their car, credit cards etc etc. A 6 month holiday on repayments in exchange for keeping the banks afloat. This means you don't need to pay your mortgage (or rent for all you private sector renters) or loan or credit card for the duration. All such arrangements are suspended.
    2. Universal Basic Income. Parachute cash to everyone. In other times that would have been so they can spend it in Costa or whatever, but as Costa will have gone bust its to keep the people who used to work in Costa from having to eat grass

The entire rationale of the Johnson strategy is to avoid having to do ANY of this. But as country after country slowly ramps down economic activity I cannot see how we will be able to resist much longer. People will be told to WFH, then businesses big and small will get into major difficulties and the question will be do they pay to keep afloat business that isn't viable in the lockdown or do they pay to keep food in people's fridges and the roof over their heads?
  • JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,159

glw said:

If the government could always do such good deals with the private sector we would all be laughing.
    Surely it's normal for governments to pay for requisitioned items. Even in time of war
    Scott_xP said:
    Then they lose their impact. Only say something if something needs to be said.
    JM1 said:

Chameleon said:

Oh that is very interesting. As someone who works in that space it would indeed indicate that the number of asymptomatic carriers with low or mild symptoms is potentially very high indeed, which would tally with the numbers we are seeing in Italy to an extent. DECODE has a tremendous genetic resource that they can exploit for this sort of testing and this is a space we should continue to keep a very close eye on.
    Fun Fact....because Iceland is so genetic monolithic, very small population and they have these near complete records, all the kids have these apps on their phone so that when they go on a night out looking to pull, they can bump their phone with a lady / gentleman they like the look of and it instantly tells them if they are too closely related to be considering taking it any further.

If Boris had been in charge during WWII, I fairly sure the tw@tterati would be cheering on Hitler, just to see his nose rubbed in it.

The Coronovirus-19th Columnists.
    edited March 2020

Fun Fact....because Iceland is so genetic monolithic, very small population and they have these near complete records, all the kids have these apps on their phone so that when they go on a night out looking to pull, they can bump their phone with a lady / gentleman they like the look of and it instantly tells them if they are too closely related to be considering taking it any further.

I assume there's a second cousin yes/no option? ;)

My employer makes its money from air travel.

I must now assume 50%+ likelihood of losing my job in the next 3 months. My company has strong financial muscle but I am probably not needed in a “keeping the lights on” scenario. At least I am on 6 months notice period.

I have a heavy mortgage but one must hope that in extremis I can move to interest free, and/or govt mandated mortgage holiday.

Sorry to hear that @Gardenwalker - hope it's not a bleak as you fear.

Scott_xP said:

what kind of moron puts a health Secretary announcement to the public in a Tory newspaper. If that is not F****ed up I don't know what is and then the absolute bell ends put up on GOV site telling people to go look at the Telegraph, you could not make up the stupidity of these clowns.
  • Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,677

If he were he would have stuck a sprog on Unity Mitford by this stage.
    malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

what kind of moron puts a health Secretary announcement to the public in a Tory newspaper. If that is not F****ed up I don't know what is and then the absolute bell ends put up on GOV site telling people to go look at the Telegraph, you could not make up the stupidity of these clowns.
    If it was new information you might have a point, but he was just reiterating what has already been said.
    malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

You might not have noticed but he has also been on all the major media outlets this morning.
  • malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Malc.

You and I are on the opposite sides on the referendum but we converse well

I do think that we are now in an environment that we all need to be kinder and to be honest I really would like to hear your genuine thought through opinions on topical matters

Please try not to become tedious but help to contribute with constructive criticism, not destructive

All the best
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Seriously, calm down.
    Rob, F**k off you patronising git.

Chameleon said:

I am genuinely failing to understand why that has any bearing on testing them for this virus.
  • AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Scott_xP said:

It absolutely was pay walled initially. They took down the pay wall after the outrage.
  • dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,300

glw said:

Scott_xP said:

They were also allowing misleading claims about the cost of leasing private hospital beds last night.
    Was that via that lovely Momentum activist Dr Sonia Adesara?
    malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Agreed - this is no way to proceed at all. Big mistake. Text should have gone to all papers for them to publish unedited ot not at all as they decide.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,603
    RobD said:

glw said:

Scott_xP said:

I think it might have been paywalled for a few moments as it was put up, but I bet that was technical cock up (i.e. the default setting for op-eds these days), rather than a scheme to get desperate punters to cough up for a telegraph subscription.
    It was an odd approach though. Why put an article conveying information of national significance in a niche publication with collapsing sales? Putting it in The Sun would have made more sense. In fact, why not buy space in every national newspaper if you feel a written article is helpful?
    edited March 2020
    IshmaelZ said:

Chameleon said:

I am genuinely failing to understand why that has any bearing on testing them for this virus.
    Well for example they can start to example genetic differences between those that show signs and those that don't.

They already do similar research across other major diseases, tracing lineages, genetic differences etc.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 42,519
    edited March 2020

malcolmg said:

maaarsh said:

Not around here. Supplies of the most popular hoarding staples were all gone on Friday evening, including the niche and expensive stuff.

Just back from Tescos this morning and it was actually worse than Christmas. Lengthy queues for all payment methods; they've still got about 25 traditional tills in there and each one had at least five or six people with full family-sized trolleys snaking out the back of it.

They are clearly doing their best to keep up with demand and at least some supplies of most of the things that were entirely absent on Friday night (notably flour and tissues) were in evidence. However, the pasta shelf was still completely empty and I missed the last of the bog rolls by about five or ten minutes. There were a few people still walking around with packs of the things in their trolleys but the aisle contained nothing but empty pallets.

Beer supplies also replenished and looking well-stocked again. Except for Corona, that is.
    WTAF as they say. Tesco in Leaver heartland E Mids yesterday, and therefore full of people obviously quite dim and prone to irrational behaviour, was full to brimming. Loo roll and hand san gone but absolutely everything else plentiful.

Normal Saturday traffic.

I bought, because PB wants to know, two lemons a cucumber, some talc, a pineapple, and a bottle of gin.
  • EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Scott_xP said:
    What are these "main channels" of which he speaks, and how do I access them from Netflix?

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

Agreed - this is no way to proceed at all. Big mistake. Text should have gone to all papers for them to publish unedited ot not at all as they decide.
    Except it wasn't an announcement of government policy. It was just a repeat of what has already been said.
  • OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 33,059

There were those who were not, initially at any rate, impressed with Churchill. And if Edward VIII hadn't been more interested in Wallis than being King........
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,276
    edited March 2020
    maaarsh said:

Snooker is on Eurosport, 4 rounds in 1 day so perfect in the circumstances - frankly showing that sports should be pushed to keep going behind closed doors - would do far more for the common good and isolation maintenance where required, than making virtuous press releases about total cancellations.

Big one is the Crucible. Not yet cancelled, I note, and I think I know why. It provides 17 days of compelling sporting theatre, many hours each day, draws you in, takes your mind of everything else - perfect comfort viewing and on the Beeb with an audience biased towards older people who will desperately need all of the comfort they can get by then.

So it would not surprise me if the government has contacted World Snooker and told them on no account to cancel. The show must go on. The event will go ahead as a genuine public service. An integral part of our National Virus Response.

Caveat that Ronnie does not test positive in the meantime.
    malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Seriously, calm down.
    Very classy.
    RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Then they lose their impact. Only say something if something needs to be said.
    Yes real impact when you put them in the Telegraph for sure.
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,023
    Given the average age of Telegraph readers, it would seem an appropriate place for a piece from the Health Secretary.
  • My employer makes its money from air travel.

I am so sorry to hear that and it will be no consolation that many thousands, even millions, will be in the same boat

IshmaelZ said:

Chameleon said:

Well for example they can start to example genetic differences between those that show signs and those that don't.

They already do similar research across other major diseases, tracing lineages, genetic differences etc.
    I can see that but why is genetic screening showing up the virus in the first place?
  • Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 59,190

JM1 said:

Chameleon said:

Oh that is very interesting. As someone who works in that space it would indeed indicate that the number of asymptomatic carriers with low or mild symptoms is potentially very high indeed, which would tally with the numbers we are seeing in Italy to an extent. DECODE has a tremendous genetic resource that they can exploit for this sort of testing and this is a space we should continue to keep a very close eye on.

You should go there and say..

"Hey, don't worry; put the app away: I'm English."

malcolmg said:

Scott_xP said:

You might not have noticed but he has also been on all the major media outlets this morning.
    Yes telling everyone to visit the Telegraph, that helps.
    IshmaelZ said:

IshmaelZ said:

Chameleon said:

I can see that but why is genetic screening showing up the virus in the first place?
    They were testing for the virus over the weekend.
  • felixfelix Posts: 15,141
    nichomar said:

Interesting the opposition response to government actions is to be predominantly supportive, no one calling for a herd immunity approach and what criticism there is is directed at having allowed the mass women’s day marches last Sunday. Felix may have seen different responses so interested in his opinion.

Agree - but there is considerable anger at the Madrilenos who have appeared overnight as it were. In the longer term this crisis will bring down governments because our 2 week lockdown will no be sufficient - I suspect maybe 2/3 months.
  • glw said:

Sandpit said:

LOL Sir Richard - that's not happening!

If the government have anything to do with his airline, it'll be helping to underwrite the finance for the company that buys his stricken assets for 10p in the pound.

Exactly. There's very little point proping up airlines when nobody wants to fly, as there are much better uses for that money now. And when it's over all those planes will still have much of their value for any new companies that emerge.

Right now the only thing that makes sense regarding folding airlines is to provide welfare for the employees, but the companies and their shareholders are on their own.
    I've been saying some harsh light of day stuff about government strategy with regards to people which I know sounds cold. It'll be the same with regards to business - we will absolutely need some business and absolutely not need others. But is the cost of letting them fail and setting up again out the other side higher than the alternative?

The issue is NOT the likes of Virgin Atlantic. The issue is that the likes of Virgin Atlantic owe money to banks. So suspend the banking sector - all loans and outstanding monies will be covered by the BoE so that Virgin and Costa and our local museum and the dog walker don't have to go bust. You don't need to meet any of your financial obligations until all this is over.

malcolmg said:

maaarsh said:

I've got a fridge full of Corona which I bought because my brother likes it, but his visit got canned. I can't stand the stuff myself... but in extremis, I might be tempted :smile:
    RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

malcolmg said:

RobD said:

Scott_xP said:
    Seriously, calm down.
    Very classy.
    Just as classy as your calm down dear
  • JonathanJonathan Posts: 21,394
    Scott_xP said:
    Do we want them to do the work or prepare for press conferences?
    kinabalu said:

maaarsh said:

Big one is the Crucible. Not yet cancelled, I note, and I think I know why. It provides 17 days of compelling sporting theatre, many hours each day, draws you in, takes your mind of everything else - perfect comfort viewing and on the Beeb with an audience biased towards older people who will desperately need all of the comfort they can get by then.

So it would not surprise me if the government has contacted World Snooker and told them on no account to cancel. The show must go on. The event will go ahead as a genuine public service. An integral part of our National Virus Response.

Caveat that Ronnie does not test positive in the meantime.
    Yes and a few other sports could learn from it. Golf cancelling is a nonsense just following the NBA lead rather than showing any leadership or thought themselves. There is no reason for non-contact sports not to continue without crowds and provide some much needed light relief whilst we all eat our pasta with tinned tuna & tomatoes.
This discussion has been closed.