Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Betfair voids its London Mayoral 2020 market following the ele

123457»

Comments

• CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    THIS THREAD IS UNDER COMPULSORY HOUSE ARREST
  • CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

IshmaelZ said:

Yes.

Sorry to sound repetitively stupid, but so what? Genetic records from 12,000 people tell us nothing about whether anyone has covid 19, surely?

12,000 so far. They will screen the entire database.

The initial results suggested that perhaps 1% have a natural immunity. If you can isolate them (in the technical not physical sense) then perhaps there are some leads that will be useful to understanding the disease.

That's why the DECODE database is so powerful. It combines genetic samples from the entire population with the saga histories - the Icelandic people know the descent of every individual from the 10th century to today. That has allowed them to make breakthroughs in - for example - genetic predisposition to breast cancer.
    And to stop first cousins hooking up accidentally :-)
    Of course. You need to be deliberate about hooking up strategy
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    IanB2 said:

nichomar said:

The Spanish lockdown is actually a lockdown of those who have retired as you can still go to work if your place of employment is still operating. It’s just not called lock the old buggers up. A lot of British pensioners here will have to learn to cook again after ten years on menu del dia, three courses for €10

Anyone in Spain who can produce large quantities of a microwave English breakfast should clean up.
    Time to get the roast dinner ready which I can pop in the oven whilst we go ‘out’ for drinks.
  • hamiltonacehamiltonace Posts: 654
    malcolmg said:

Be interesting if Scottish Government take a different tack from Westminster.
    SCOTLAND is not planning on isolating over-70s over coronavirus fears, the country's Health Secretary has said, amid criticism of the UK Government's communication and strategy.

The UK's Health Secretary Matt Hancock announced that elderly people are likely to be asked to self-isolate for up to four months - news that emerged from anonymous briefings.

However, Scottish Health Secretary Jeane Freeman has said the Scottish Government were not planning on isolating the elderly but would instead be "asking them to reduce social contact".

Hancock described the plans for over-70s to be forced to stay at home as a "very big ask", but said it is a measure for their own "self-protection".

Yes I saw that but don't believe it. Scotland will take the lead not wait for England and then follow.
  • ClippPClippP Posts: 1,858
    edited March 2020

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

You have a point there, but to a large extent Johnson has brought this on himself by the way he has conducted himself over time.At this time of crisis, we need someone who can be trusted across the political divide.Johnson does not have - nor does he deserve - the goodwill needed for that.

That is not wrong, but Johnson has instinctively played a relatively safe game which has played out well even to Boris non believers like me. Corbyn by contrast would have panicked and shut everything down without weighing up the longer term financial implications. Johnson may well feel the need to panic later, but for the moment at least the steady as she goes action is appreciated.
    My only criticism of Johnson so far is his 'I have to level with you...' statement which I felt was unnecessary classic political Dom. Dom apparently has an interest in epidemiology according to the FT, so he is an expert!
    Many would feel far more comfortable with Jeremy Hunt in charge. Far more goodwill would be forthcoming to him.
    I totally agree, however Hunt seems to be far keener than Johnson to close the UK down. It may turn out to be a better call than the one Boris has made. At the moment at least Boris' strategy seems unusually sensible.
    The problem is that Johnson has no authority whatsoever. The office of prime miinister ought to have authorty, but since he got there by a process of lying, cheating and general skulduggery, the position does not give him any authority whatsoever. Cummings ought to have thought of that.

Quite simply, power is not enough, not without authority.

Forunately,the government is also represented by figures with authority - leading civil servants - which is why Johnson appears alongside them. Provided he continues to follow their advice, he may get away with it.

All that is needed is for the general population to realise that "government" means more than the small gang of incompentents who have made a power grab, and the country will be back on a sensible course again.
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    kinabalu said:

maaarsh said:

Snooker is on Eurosport, 4 rounds in 1 day so perfect in the circumstances - frankly showing that sports should be pushed to keep going behind closed doors - would do far more for the common good and isolation maintenance where required, than making virtuous press releases about total cancellations.

Big one is the Crucible. Not yet cancelled, I note, and I think I know why. It provides 17 days of compelling sporting theatre, many hours each day, draws you in, takes your mind of everything else - perfect comfort viewing and on the Beeb with an audience biased towards older people who will desperately need all of the comfort they can get by then.

So it would not surprise me if the government has contacted World Snooker and told them on no account to cancel. The show must go on. The event will go ahead as a genuine public service. An integral part of our National Virus Response.

Caveat that Ronnie does not test positive in the meantime.
    Anyone coughing in the crowd this year might get more than a dirty look from the player at the table!
  • not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,389
    DougSeal said:

In an alternative timeline, where TMay had not committed Hara Kiri in 2017, PB is arguing about whether an amendment to the FTPA should be passed to postpone the May 2020 General Election.

And the 2nd Brexit referendum
This discussion has been closed.