Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Swing for the moment. How the country shifted at GE2019

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,022

Chameleon said:

This kind-of blows apart the UK Government strategy
    No it doesn't. None of them are experts in the relevant field. This is like when that doctor with a vendetta against rugby got a whole load of gender studies doctorates to sign her letter.
    Nah the Govt policy is shite. Absolute shite. Everyone's talking about it.

Boris will flip flop - has to.

To quote trump: wrong.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Letter writing campaigns have started up again,

Coronavirus: Scientists say UK virus strategy is 'risking lives'

In an open letter, a group of 229 scientists from UK universities say the government's current approach will put the NHS under additional stress and "risk many more lives than necessary".

In a separate letter to the government, more than 200 behavioural scientists have questioned the government's argument that starting tougher measures too soon would lead to people not sticking to them just at the point that the epidemic is at its height.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51892402

If the Government, informed by the opinion of its trusted expert advisers, believes that it is right then it should ignore the letter writers, unless or until it is in possession of evidence to come around to their point of view.

I've just been out tonight and had dinner - evidence of healthy trade where we were, and at all the other establishments located along the walk back home. When this thing comes to the crunch and people may have to exist under Italian-style restrictions then so be it, but right now it's essential that the economy operates in as near normal a fashion as possible, so that more businesses survive this crisis, fewer people find themselves on the dole and less long-term damage is done.

Remember, Governments have always had to balance the cost of protecting life against the cost of maintaining wider society, and will always have to do so. Increased impoverishment also has its consequences in terms of poor health and premature death. The life of the small business owner who throws herself in front of a train having been bankrupted and seen her life's work come to nothing is just as valuable as that of a Covid victim - as is that of a hospital patient who perishes for want of a drug or piece of medical equipment that the taxpayer can no longer afford to purchase because people are too poor.

Economically damaging measures such as mass school closures will need to be taken as this crisis unfolds, but they should only be taken when it is essential to do so and not because somebody writing in a newspaper claims that it is.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Incidentally the reason I know you can fit all that food into a cubic meter is from doing the sums when NoDeal Brexit stockpiling (obviously we still have the majority of that stock pile! ).

When we worked out how much volume all the food was going to take up we had to redo the sums 3 times before going "Yeah, it really is that little space".
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,339

Does it...Did you look at those signatures. When they say 200 academics, there are an absolute load of PhD students in unrelated subjects, no offence to them, but they know square root of f##k all about this (and I have a PhD).
    Seem to be a lot of mathematicians in there and an astronomer thrown in for good measure. There are also several whose subjects aren't specified (fine art, modern languages, archeology?)
  • Options

Does it...Did you look at those signatures. When they say 200 academics, there are an absolute load of PhD students in unrelated subjects, no offence to them, but they know square root of f##k all about this (and I have a PhD).
    Seem to be a lot of mathematicians in there and an astronomer thrown in for good measure. There are also several whose subjects aren't specified (fine art, modern languages, archeology?)
    No wonder the government's strategy is so crap, they don't have astronomers on the advisory panel.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    JM1 said:

It seems from European countries that release data (Spain / Italy / France - I wish we did the same!) that the % of cases in the ICU is between 4 and 8% approximately (Italy is on the higher end but has been declining over the last few days quite considerably).

I wonder if we are using this sort of number to determine how many infections we can tolerate before imposing lockdown, after which the number of new infections will slow drastically before shrinking? That would be a way to stretch the epidemic without leading to an increased mortality rate here?

Also, note that the new localised data suggests we may have a cluster developing in London and one also in Hampshire (perhaps related to the Basingstoke story that was posted here yesterday?

Yes I get community by community data for infections, hospitalized, icu and treated at home quite frequently. 4 to 8% is about right 15% hospitalized. I’m sure this info is feeding the uk planning. Cluttering is the feder for the bud I’m afraid. Not sure what the critical mass is but once it is reached it starts to take off. .
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited March 2020
    The government need to get on the blower to the BBC and tell them this shit isn't on. They need to make it crystal clear this isn't 200 experts in the field, it is 200 random people involved in academia across a whole load of fields who have nothing to do with this.

We aren't playing silly political games like the usual crap when a load of charities write to the Guardian saying the government are a load of meanies and we find out that it was a Labour political who phoned up all their mates.
  • Options
    tysontyson Posts: 6,052
    Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

tyson said:

Anyway..when we are all locked in...inevitable now in a matter a couple of weeks and most probably sooner....

How many hits will pbCOM get a day??

I'm locked in. pcCOM is a godsend. Equivalent to the pub. But I find I'm eating and drinking too much. It's just too easy.
    It would though be even better if we occasionally, just occasionally, talked about something else.
    I keep talking about skiing. I love it. The adrenaline. The edge.
    My dislocated shoulder....that was the last time I put on a set of skis....

I'd ski'd beautifully all week (not fallen once)...my last day, I was leaving the cable car and fell really innocuously adjusting my goggles.. 7 years ago....
  • Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 31,048

Chameleon said:

No it doesn't. None of them are experts in the relevant field. This is like when that doctor with a vendetta against rugby got a whole load of gender studies doctorates to sign her letter.

I don't know if he will flip or not but I hope not because it would mean he was ignoring his own scientific advisors just for PR purposes which would be an extremely dangerous thing to do.
  • Options
    ChameleonChameleon Posts: 3,902

Chameleon said:

And your epidemiology credentials are? Of all countries to be with Germany, Iceland, and the UK isn't a bad trio when it come to taking a fact based approach.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,923
    RobD said:

No wonder the government's strategy is so crap, they don't have astronomers on the advisory panel.
    Nor the astrologers!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,189

The government need to get on the blower to the BBC and tell them this shit isn't on. They need to make it crystal clear this isn't 200 experts in the field, it is 200 random people included in academia across a whole load of fields who have nothing to do with this.

The Beeb just can't fucking help themselves.

They are going to drive us to some draconian press restrictions during this crisis.
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    RobD said:

I think you mis-typed there, Rob. Surely you meant astrologers?
  • Options

RobD said:

Nor the astrologers!
    Or too many astrologers and not enough astronomers. :p
  • Options

RobD said:

Nor the astrologers!
    Why haven't the government asked Mystic Meg what she thinks the strategy should be...to be honest, she will probably give just as good as advice as Prof Farage.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    TimT said:

RobD said:

Na, I was mocking the astronomy professor who thinks they know better than the CMO and their staff on how to handle this crisis.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,339

Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

tyson said:

Anyway..when we are all locked in...inevitable now in a matter a couple of weeks and most probably sooner....

I'm locked in. pcCOM is a godsend. Equivalent to the pub. But I find I'm eating and drinking too much. It's just too easy.
    It would though be even better if we occasionally, just occasionally, talked about something else.
    How about some PB reminiscing.

Does anyone have a favourite anecdote from the SeanT collective ?

I liked 'farmy farm' which related to Gordon Brown's supposed toy farm hobby.
    My favourite SeanT: describing the Greeks during the financial crash as 'you feta-fiddling, moussaka-munching, Elgin-marbles-undeserving malingerers'.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125
    Andy_JS said:

It might be healthier to wash your bottom with water rather than use toilet paper. Do we have any experts on this?

You end up really clean in my experience.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

tyson said:

I did try today. But it is the consuming topic of the moment.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,010
    maaarsh said:

Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

tyson said:

And that's just waiting to see if you can go.
    Ah -but I've already been, if only for two days before I was airlifted out into solitary confinement.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,556

The government need to get on the blower to the BBC and tell them this shit isn't on. They need to make it crystal clear this isn't 200 experts in the field, it is 200 random people included in academia across a whole load of fields who have nothing to do with this.

They are going to drive us to some draconian press restrictions during this crisis.
    One's thing for certain the notion that the BBC is an indispensable public service is waning by the day.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

tyson said:

The entire country is about to join you on a black run.....
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

France has reported a total of 4,499 confirmed coronavirus cases – up from 3,661 on Friday, according to official figures.

Time to ban travel from France.
    As long as they don't ban travel TO France.

I have a skiing holiday booked for 11 April with my grandchildren in the French Alps with ClubMed.
    No, you really don't.....
    I do. My Italian skiing holiday was cut short last week.
    Nice one Barnesian - which resort? I`m thinking about a late ski trip with my daughter. I`ve been looking at Norway - never been there.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,986
    This is going to change everything, isn’t it?
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Absolutely
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460
    RobD said:

It’s a quark in the system.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Yes, quite a few of these people have less right to comment than I do, and I accept I don’t know enough to contradict the CMO by a long way.

We spent some time picking the most qualified person to be CMO and instead of picking a random astronomer we picked Chris Whitty CB FRCP FFPH FMedSci, formerly Professor of Public and International Health at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine, and instrumental to the international work to address the Ebola outbreak. Mad, I know.
    What you don't think we should listen to the random masters student or a lady with a BA? Its like basing public policy on a twitter poll or whatever Piers Morgan has spouted.
  • Options
    JM1 said:

TimT said:

RobD said:

LoL!! TimT - are you still comfortable with the UK strategy? To me I don't see why it necessarily leads to a worse mortality rate than any other European country.
    Not all about mortality rate anyway - economics and freedom issues are also large factors.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,680
    edited March 2020
    BTW what an excellent article (and colourful) map from Mr Meeks. Thank you. Doesn't it all seem a long time ago on some other planet. If the Government's plan for most of us not dying comes off it will be very useful one day. If it doesn't, it is going to be of great use to historians when they try to remember who Boris Johnson was, why he was important, and what the colour blue used to mean in UK politics.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,575
    Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

tyson said:

Stay away from the edge.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,782

Alistair said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Panic buying is a slippery and dubious concept to identify, and generally more favourable to governments and those organising than individuals. What is irrational at one momemt can be immediately rational the next - I think rather the blanket condemnation of it it might be better for governments or supermarkets to focus on the positive - we everyone at some times might have reasons to buy more, but if we operate a more shared and gradual approach supplies are less likely to run out.

In the end there will be wartime style rationing, and things will calm down. Everyone will get their 1-2 rolls per bottom per week.

It's the few weeks of possible chaos/shortage between now and then that need to be bridged. And I mean chaos

https://twitter.com/M_Davieswrites/status/1238728814110355457?s=20
    You may well be right. This thing's now about getting ahead of the curve: if you spend too much time feeling guilty about what other people won't be getting because you've got it, you just end up becoming other people yourself. Once the panic buying gets past a certain critical mass, the first wave of them stop looking silly and start looking prescient - and, until the retailers and the Government itself take proper action to restore order, it's very much a case of every household for itself.

I have to be a bit choosy about what I stockpile because we've not got the space in the flat, but if we had a spare room I'd be filling it with at least two months' worth of long shelf life supplies.

Oh, and if everyone thinks it's bad now, wait until the order goes out for every vulnerable sick person and everyone over 70 to go into quarantine at once. It'll be like those scenes when Black Friday first arrived in Britain, or possibly even the 2011 London riots. Fisticuffs are inevitable; outright civil disorder and looting is a distinct possibility.
    Yes, I think there will be some disorder, which is one reason I am fairly keen to leave London.

BTW I also have a fairly small flat, but I've just accepted that half the living room is going to be full of tinned sardines and M&S penne for a while. Either we will shift it to a bigger place outside London, or we will eat it here. The problem will solve itself in time.

Accepting all this is part of coping, I reckon.
    6 months worth of food can fit into just over a cubic meter if you buy smart and pack well. That's with a shopping list including olives and capers not just boring shit.
    A cubic metre is a surprisingly large area.

It is the same as a thousand litres or enough space for the beer from two thousand 500ml bottles.

The equivalent of about five pints a day for a year.
    Volume, not area!
    Fun fact - a cubic metre of water weighs near enough a (metric) tonne.
    Er... precisely a metric tonne surely, given that a gramme was defined as the weight of 1cc of water in 1795?

http://smdsi.quartier-rural.org/histoire/18germ_3.htm
    Depends on the salinity.
    Water, as in pure H2O, has no salinity.
    OK, the density depends on the isotopic ratios of the hydrogen and oxygen atoms.
  • Options
    welshowl said:

RobD said:

Thank you for that laugh, i needed it. :D
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    edited March 2020
    RobD said:

Letter writing campaigns have started up again,

Coronavirus: Scientists say UK virus strategy is 'risking lives'

In an open letter, a group of 229 scientists from UK universities say the government's current approach will put the NHS under additional stress and "risk many more lives than necessary".

In a separate letter to the government, more than 200 behavioural scientists have questioned the government's argument that starting tougher measures too soon would lead to people not sticking to them just at the point that the epidemic is at its height.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-51892402

I mean just look what happened in Spain. Closing of schools etc. led to people congregating in parks, restaurants and bars. Probably made things worse in the long run.

The second letter called on the government to reconsider its stance on "behavioural fatigue" and to share the evidence on which it based this stance.

So they haven't seen the evidence the government used, but are saying it is wrong anyway?
    It was politically effective in the Brexit Wars. McDonnell started it the other day. I have little doubt these letters are politically orchestrated and motivated
  • Options
    tyson said:

Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

tyson said:

I'd ski'd beautifully all week (not fallen once)...my last day, I was leaving the cable car and fell really innocuously adjusting my goggles.. 7 years ago....
    That's how it happens - when you're not paying attention. On a moguled black you are paying attention.
  • Options

Yes. Seismic shift.

Pre-Corona v. Post-Corona will be different eras.
  • Options
    MyBurningEarsMyBurningEars Posts: 3,651
    felix said:

Andy_JS said:

It might be healthier to wash your bottom with water rather than use toilet paper. Do we have any experts on this?

From a cross-cultural perspective, here's a Reddit discussion of how to use a tabo to wash yourself (as they do in the Philippines).

Funny how quickly us Westerners have come to see loo roll as something necessary and universal when so few of us were using it, what, 100 years ago?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,575
    RobD said:

They’d be eclipsed by the others.
  • Options
    IPA Pool is still being played

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/51692901
  • Options

felix said:

Andy_JS said:

From a cross-cultural perspective, here's a Reddit discussion of how to use a tabo to wash yourself (as they do in the Philippines).

Funny how quickly us Westerners have come to see loo roll as something necessary and universal when so few of us were using it, what, 100 years ago?
    I certainly wasn't using it 100 years ago.
  • Options

Yes. Seismic shift.

While I am not arguing there won't be disruption, but a different era? Was the Spanish flu as transformative?
  • Options
    Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,060

Alistair said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Panic buying is a slippery and dubious concept to identify, and generally more favourable to governments and those organising than individuals. What is irrational at one momemt can be immediately rational the next - I think rather the blanket condemnation of it it might be better for governments or supermarkets to focus on the positive - we everyone at some times might have reasons to buy more, but if we operate a more shared and gradual approach supplies are less likely to run out.

In the end there will be wartime style rationing, and things will calm down. Everyone will get their 1-2 rolls per bottom per week.

It's the few weeks of possible chaos/shortage between now and then that need to be bridged. And I mean chaos

You may well be right. This thing's now about getting ahead of the curve: if you spend too much time feeling guilty about what other people won't be getting because you've got it, you just end up becoming other people yourself. Once the panic buying gets past a certain critical mass, the first wave of them stop looking silly and start looking prescient - and, until the retailers and the Government itself take proper action to restore order, it's very much a case of every household for itself.

I have to be a bit choosy about what I stockpile because we've not got the space in the flat, but if we had a spare room I'd be filling it with at least two months' worth of long shelf life supplies.

Oh, and if everyone thinks it's bad now, wait until the order goes out for every vulnerable sick person and everyone over 70 to go into quarantine at once. It'll be like those scenes when Black Friday first arrived in Britain, or possibly even the 2011 London riots. Fisticuffs are inevitable; outright civil disorder and looting is a distinct possibility.
    Yes, I think there will be some disorder, which is one reason I am fairly keen to leave London.

BTW I also have a fairly small flat, but I've just accepted that half the living room is going to be full of tinned sardines and M&S penne for a while. Either we will shift it to a bigger place outside London, or we will eat it here. The problem will solve itself in time.

6 months worth of food can fit into just over a cubic meter if you buy smart and pack well. That's with a shopping list including olives and capers not just boring shit.

It is the same as a thousand litres or enough space for the beer from two thousand 500ml bottles.

Volume, not area!
    I was going to comment on this, but I was too late...
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,125
    JM1 said:

It seems from European countries that release data (Spain / Italy / France - I wish we did the same!) that the % of cases in the ICU is between 4 and 8% approximately (Italy is on the higher end but has been declining over the last few days quite considerably).

I wonder if we are using this sort of number to determine how many infections we can tolerate before imposing lockdown, after which the number of new infections will slow drastically before shrinking? That would be a way to stretch the epidemic without leading to an increased mortality rate here?

Also, note that the new localised data suggests we may have a cluster developing in London and one also in Hampshire (perhaps related to the Basingstoke story that was posted here yesterday?

There seem to be very few cases in the Midlands. Just 2 in Birmingham for example out of population of 1.14 million according to this page. (Not sure when the last update was).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,251
    tyson said:

Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

tyson said:

I did the same in France. Last run of the day, dropped my ski pole, turned to see where it had gone and twisted my left knee tearing the cartilage. I got pulled down the mountain in one of those orange body bags. The doctor who treated me was dead good looking I remember.

A few years later I damaged the same knee in a cycling accident, though this time more seriously - ripping the cruciate ligament.

Ski-ing is great fun. I loved it when I went regularly. I wish I had started when younger, though.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Anyone holed up and seeking some harmless entertainment could do worse than reviewing @communistbops’ oeuvre on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/communistbops/status/1238929625734053888?s=21
  • Options
    Probably will be billed as a U-turn, despite the constant reminders it was always about the timing.
  • Options

Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

tyson said:

Gravity is your friend. If you fight it, you'll fall. You go with the flow, pay attention, rely on your instinct. So with covid-19.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yes. Seismic shift.

While I am not arguing there won't be disruption, but a different era? Was the Spanish flu as transformative?
    Difficult to tell because it came at the end of WW1. So certainly there was a massive cultural change over that period but it is difficult to know whether it could be ascribed to the flu or the war.

Mind you, we lost 80,000 in Britain to Hing Kong flu over a few months in 1968 and I don't think there was any real social change ascribed to that outbreak.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

JM1 said:

There seem to be very few cases in the Midlands. Just 2 in Birmingham for example out of population of 1.14 million according to this page. (Not sure when the last update was).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51768274
    5 Birningham cases now according to the government dashboard map but still low. Then again, the spread across the country seems fairly even overall.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Probably will be billed as a U-turn, despite the constant reminders it was always about the timing.
    I don't see how 4 months could possibly be enough.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yes. Seismic shift.

The world of 2020 slightly different to the world of 1919...
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

France has reported a total of 4,499 confirmed coronavirus cases – up from 3,661 on Friday, according to official figures.

I have a skiing holiday booked for 11 April with my grandchildren in the French Alps with ClubMed.
    Nice one Barnesian - which resort? I`m thinking about a late ski trip with my daughter. I`ve been looking at Norway - never been there.
    La Plagne 2100. Last week it was Corvara.
  • Options
    ukpaulukpaul Posts: 649

Second letter is the same, half are PhD students and also include people who just have a BA.

I’d be much more interested to hear from the scientists making decisions in other countries on the UK plan. At least then you are comparing like with like.
  • Options

RobD said:

Yes. Seismic shift.

The world of 2020 slightly different to the world of 1919...
    Yeah, but I am curious why he thinks things won't start to return to some semblance of normality after it has passed.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,680
    If this story is true it moves things on quite a bit.

• Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195
    RobD said:

Yep - with more announcements to come

I'm really pleased my fathers care home has told my brother he can't visit.

It's tough but we have to protect the older generation as best we can
  • Options
    edited March 2020

Oh my, the counter argument wings in - 800 Women's Institutes have now written a letter to the PM saying "Stay the distance. Oh, and here's some loganbrry jam."

They have equal weight.

Well, actually, with the jam, the WI letter is heavier.
  • Options
    That actually looks sensible and would tie in with what they have been doing so far.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

I don't see how 4 months could possibly be enough.
    If it doubles every 2.5 days the entire country has it in five weeks. Apart form the biddies in quarantine, that is.
  • Options

Alistair said:

eadric said:

eadric said:

Volume, not area!
    I was going to comment on this, but I was too late...
    Water under the bridge now.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123

RobD said:

I'm actually quite annoyed the BBC didn't make this clear. I got the impression it was going to be 200+ doctors or professors of medicine.
    This is really irresponsible of the BBC. Again these aren't normal times.

I am quite happy for the WHO to chime in, but to have 50+ PhDs in maths and physics be used for political points scoring (and have the nation even further doubting the strategy).

In fact looking through, the vast vast majority are PhD or Post Doc in unrelated fields.

Edit - They have included MSc students !!!

This is bloody worse than the fake news Newsnight scoreboard.
    I've seen how these things are done. It's basically just a round Robin email. Do you want to sign a letter to the government? People who reply get their name added to the list. I remember the last one regarding Brexit.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,154
    Chameleon said:

Chameleon said:

And your epidemiology credentials are? Of all countries to be with Germany, Iceland, and the UK isn't a bad trio when it come to taking a fact based approach.
    Three months ago Mysticrose was predicting the election result on the basis of a tweet of a Brixton polling station.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

I love La Plagne. Been before? I like the big mountain feel you get there. And the views across to Courcheval. Good move staying at 2100 for a late break.
  • Options
    edited March 2020

RobD said:

I'm actually quite annoyed the BBC didn't make this clear. I got the impression it was going to be 200+ doctors or professors of medicine.
    This is really irresponsible of the BBC. Again these aren't normal times.

I am quite happy for the WHO to chime in, but to have 50+ PhDs in maths and physics be used for political points scoring (and have the nation even further doubting the strategy).

In fact looking through, the vast vast majority are PhD or Post Doc in unrelated fields.

Edit - They have included MSc students !!!

This is bloody worse than the fake news Newsnight scoreboard.
    I've seen how these things are done. It's basically just a round Robin email. Do you want to sign a letter to the government? People who reply get their name added to the list. I remember the last one regarding Brexit.
    It is clearly that. The vast majority of are from Queen Mary University and massively weighted towards particular departments such as Maths.

Stop the strategy everybody, a lab tech has signed a letter saying they have this all wrong....

Normally I don't really give a shit they have done this and sent it to the Guardian, but this isn't normal times.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

tyson said:

Gravity is your friend. If you fight it, you'll fall. You go with the flow, pay attention, rely on your instinct. So with covid-19.
    That's quite profound.

This hermit-thinker thing is working for you!
  • Options
    Now the days of our ending have begun...
  • Options
    I hope age isn't the only determinant. Some 70 year olds are in better health than 55 year olds.
  • Options
    Good luck telling my mum that. Or my father-in-law for that matter.

• Options
    algarkirk said:

People over 70 in strict isolation at home - that's a joke!!
  • Options
    welshowl said:

RobD said:

Strange....
  • Options
    edited March 2020

RobD said:

Yes. Seismic shift.

Difficult to tell because it came at the end of WW1. So certainly there was a massive cultural change over that period but it is difficult to know whether it could be ascribed to the flu or the war.

Mind you, we lost 80,000 in Britain to Hing Kong flu over a few months in 1968 and I don't think there was any real social change ascribed to that outbreak.
    This is less about the sheer death toll, though, and much more about the economic dislocation and radical changes to our way of living. Experiences of work (work-from-home really is likely to get a boost, the daily commute and new train lines might start looking quite out-of-date), our technical optimism about the future dented, the psychological effect for millions of people of long isolation, greater awareness of hygiene, social fragility and our own mortality, the way it will change relationships especially with those who enter the "cocoon" stage ... and I'm not even sure I've hit all the important ones!
  • Options

welshowl said:

RobD said:

Strange....
    I thought it was quite charming.
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

algarkirk said:

Why? They are the most at risk group.
  • Options

welshowl said:

RobD said:

Strange....
    Lol
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

I love La Plagne. Been before? I like the big mountain feel you get there. And the views across to Courcheval. Good move staying at 2100 for a late break.
    I've been seven times. There's a glacier as well.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,045
    Cyclefree said:

Barnesian said:

tyson said:

Plenty of people haven’t listed their eight desert island discs, a book and a film...
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,154

That actually looks sensible and would tie in with what they have been doing so far.
    It might even persuade my oldies to stay at home.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I hope age isn't the only determinant. Some 70 year olds are in better health than 55 year olds.
    I wouldn`t take much notice of this link. The article says "could" not "will". And "instructed by the government" not "made illegal to leave your home".

My dad would be furious if they legally enforced this. He`d rather risk catching the virus.
  • Options
    70 year olds in isolation, will they still be able to do things like regular blood tests many need for underlying conditions?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Barnesian said:

algarkirk said:

Why? They are the most at risk group.
    It would be better to take health into account as well as just age, but I can understand why that's not feasible because there isn't time to assess people.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Yes. Seismic shift.

Yes. Globalisation is done.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    From the article...

Other measures already being planned include:

"emergency manufacture by several companies of respirators that would be necessary to keep alive those who become acutely ill;"

I would sort of hope they were doing that already....
  • Options
    RobD said:

welshowl said:

RobD said:

Strange....
    I thought it was quite charming.
    Well life’s full of ups and downs
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    Over 70s to be quarantined until July, sensible by Boris and the rest of us without pre existing health conditions can build up immunity
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

I wouldn`t take much notice of this link. The article says "could" not "will". And "instructed by the government" not "made illegal to leave your home".

My dad would be furious if they legally enforced this. He`d rather risk catching the virus.
    I suspect they aren't going to have police roaming the streets with orders to shoot any old biddies seen trying to get their pension. I think it's more likely it's more budging from the behavioural group. If you get them all to go out less frequently, and many to stay inside almost permanently, the transmission can be significantly reduced.
  • Options
    It does seem like either this was the plan all along or they have taken on board Hunt's sensible suggestions like the care home ring fencing and running schools with skeleton staff to ensure front line workers can still go and do their jobs.
  • Options

Anyone holed up and seeking some harmless entertainment could do worse than reviewing @communistbops’ oeuvre on Twitter:

https://twitter.com/communistbops/status/1238929625734053888?s=21

That is brilliant thanks
  • Options

RobD said:

Yes. Seismic shift.

This is less about the sheer death toll, though, and much more about the economic dislocation and radical changes to our way of living. Experiences of work (work-from-home really is likely to get a boost, the daily commute and new train lines might start looking quite out-of-date), our technical optimism about the future dented, the psychological effect for millions of people of long isolation, greater awareness of hygiene, social fragility and our own mortality, the way it will change relationships especially with those who enter the "cocoon" stage ... and I'm not even sure I've hit all the important ones!
    The deepest, longest recession any of us have ever experienced.
  • Options

felix said:

Andy_JS said:

I certainly wasn't using it 100 years ago.
    Ha! Wonder about my grandparents/great-grandparents. I remember the look on my mum's face as she reminisced about when her parents built an inside toilet so she didn't have to go to the outdoor privy, and a proper bath so she no longer had to spend Friday evenings as "last in" to the dirty water in the metal tub in the back yard ... that and running hot water.... sheer joy that such progress could come to pass!

A generation or two before, did they find toilet roll as just a curious novelty and not noticeably more comfortable than the previous setup? Or a blessing and convenience? (Whoever used to wash the rags presumably probably did.)
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Over 70s to be quarantined until July, sensible by Boris and the rest of us without pre existing health conditions can build up immunity
    Sensible in that most of them will be dead by then...?
  • Options
    Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Pulpstar said:

I've been seven times. There's a glacier as well.
    The glacier is awesome. Great wide run down from the top. Some good off piste in La Plagne too. I`ve had a couple of good breaks there, staying in Champagny en Vanoise. The run down to Champagny late in the season would be slushy though. Stay up high.

If you have a hire car it`s an easy 20 min drive to Courcheval for added variety.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

I'm a 77 year old skier. No way will I stay in solitary confinement for four months! Now what could I do to deserve that? Bog roll mugger?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

most? What mortality rates are you assuming?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,214
    edited March 2020

HYUFD said:

Nope as it is going to be enforced within 20 days if you read the article and we are still far from the peak which will be 2 or 3 months away
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Andy_JS said:

Question is, what are the sanctions on those who say "sod off?"

This is Britain. There would be serious tutting. That should send them zimmer-framing it back home to their Reader's Digest Tricky Sudoku Vol 87.....
  • Options
    If this happens I'm going to have to take over my dad's business for 4 months, which I wasn't planning on doing.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Nope as it is going to be enforced within 20 days if you read the article and we are still far from the peak which will be 2 or 3 months away
    Take a whole load of frail pensioners and lock them away for months. They'll be dead.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,253
    Charles said:

RobD said:

Yes. Seismic shift.

Yes. Globalisation is done.
    Which totally destroys the main liberal Leaver argument for Brexit.
This discussion has been closed.