Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson’s tip for Dem running mate: Julian Castro at 25/

12346»

Comments

• williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,644
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It shows they should scrap rejoin the EU and stick to rejoin the single market once the transition period ends, as Starmer will likely do anyway
    And I'm sure he'll get the EU to confirm the cost and the precise terms that will require of us before promoting such a policy....

No? You surprise me......
    Compared to a few years of likely WTO terms by the time of the general election, the question will be if the cost is greater sticking to hard Brexit with Boris or shifting to a softer Brexit and rejoining the EEA and EFTA with Starmer
    "Which hospitals are you going to close to pay for the annual fees, Sir Keith?"

That is going to play well after Covid-19....
    "We're spending an extra £350mn/week on the NHS, let's send it to Brussels instead".
    "We spend £350m a week on Northern Ireland. Let's give it to Brussels instead."
    Not sure I follow the logic? If we re-join the EU, Northern Ireland leaves?
    We don't rejoin as the UK.
    We will never rejoin the EU with the Euro and certainly not as England alone given it is more pro Leave and pro Brexit than the UK as a whole
    England used to be more pro-EU than the rest of the UK. There's no reason why it couldn't be again.
    No it didn't as the EU didn't exist, it was more pro-EEC. Big difference.
    It's not anything like as big a difference as Eurosceptics like to pretend. The expansion of the union was far more significant than its deepening in changing attitudes to it.
    It was a huge difference, it made the difference between a trading block and a Federal EU superstate with its own President, currency and armed forces.

EFTA is now closer to the old EEC than the EU is
    Roy Jenkins was President of the Commission. It's a role that predates our accession, as do the main political institutions like the ECJ. The EEC was nothing like EFTA, which is why it succeeded and EFTA didn't.
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688
    alex_ said:

By my back of envelope workings, 13 million Brits will have it by Easter, if really is 2x every 2 days and not six days.

Rate of spread will slow as more contacts are between people who have already had it.
    Yes. It was said a few days ago the assumption based on modelling was that the peak would occur in May-June. Hopefully that's based on something much more sophisticated than taking a few days' test results (many representing imported cases anyway, and therefore reflecting the situation in Italy and Iran, not the UK) and then extrapolating exponential growth from them.

But the values of the parameters in the models are very uncertain, and depend on how people's behaviour changes. If people become very frightened, no doubt they will behave differently, as has been seen in other countries.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,407
    That Flybe couldn’t get near the place because it was so damn expensive, played a big part in their demise.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,106

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It shows they should scrap rejoin the EU and stick to rejoin the single market once the transition period ends, as Starmer will likely do anyway
    And I'm sure he'll get the EU to confirm the cost and the precise terms that will require of us before promoting such a policy....

Compared to a few years of likely WTO terms by the time of the general election, the question will be if the cost is greater sticking to hard Brexit with Boris or shifting to a softer Brexit and rejoining the EEA and EFTA with Starmer

"We're spending an extra £350mn/week on the NHS, let's send it to Brussels instead".
    We will never rejoin the EU with the Euro and certainly not as England alone given it is more pro Leave and pro Brexit than the UK as a whole
    England used to be more pro-EU than the rest of the UK. There's no reason why it couldn't be again.
    Joining the Common Market is a totally different kettle of fish to joining a Federal EU superstate. Had it stayed a Common Market we would never have voted to Leave.

At most the UK will rejoin the single market, not the full EU and certainly England will never vote to join a Federal EU
    Yawn. Your absolutism is ridiculous.

Even 5 years ago people would have said that County Durham would never vote Tory again.
    County Durham did not vote majority Tory, it voted in 3 Labour MPs and 3 Tory MPs and even 5 years ago the Tories got far more votes in Durham than the 11% who now back joining the Euro
  • eristdooferistdoof Posts: 5,053

OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

eristdoof said:

Of all the appaling things I have heard come from Trump's mouth, this is one of the most disgraceful things I have ever heard from potitician in my lifetime.

“I like the numbers being where they are,” said Trump, who appeared to be explicitly acknowledging his political concerns about the outbreak: “I don’t need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn’t our fault.”
    Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/06/us-coronavirus-death-toll-washington-state

In other words he doesn't care if people on the ship get ill or die, he doesn't want them being counted as US statistics.

I heard him say that. He disgusts me
    They say we get the politicians we deserve and Americans chose Trump.

Likewise he disgusts me., it goes beyond the usual political divides. I'm no fan of Johnson but he is a far more decent human being than Trump will ever be.
    Jimmy Carter is probably the most recent human being to hold the office of President in the last 50 years and was also one of the worst presidents.

Trump is a product of fears of globalisation and immigration as much as Brexit was, a symptom not a cause
    Sorry would not have bought that excuse for electing Trump four years ago and I certainly don't buy it now. Anyone who votes for Trump in November knows exactly the type of person they are giving power to.
    Unfortunately, there is a large mass of Republican voters who are now Trump worshippers, who seem to have been dazzled and captivated by his personality. The elite of GOP, who should know better, except Romney, have allowed this to continue without a peep of protest.

America is in very dangerous waters, and I, for one, will be rooting for Biden and I don't care how old he is.
    There are very roughly two types of 2016 Trump voters.
    T: what you called Trump Worshippers and
    R: Republican voters who think that any Republican would be better as president than any Democrat.
    There are probably quite a lot in T that are also in R.

The T group will always vote Trump, even if he orders a drone attack on Paul McCartney, they will still vote for him. But this group is nowhere near big enough to win a Whitehouse election.

He also needs the "in R but not in T" group. It is the voters in this group which have to be persuaded not to support such a selfish, nasty and unchristian "person" and stay at home on polling day.
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,321
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Joining the Common Market is a totally different kettle of fish to joining a Federal EU superstate. Had it stayed a Common Market we would never have voted to Leave.

At most the UK will rejoin the single market, not the full EU and certainly England will never vote to join a Federal EU

Even 5 years ago people would have said that County Durham would never vote Tory again.
    County Durham did not vote majority Tory, it voted in 3 Labour MPs and 3 Tory MPs and even 5 years ago the Tories got far more votes in Durham than the 11% who now back joining the Euro
    So?
  • ChrisChris Posts: 11,688
    edited March 2020
    HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Chameleon said:

Telegraph:

Prof Sheila Bird, formerly Programme Leader, MRC Biostatistics Unit, University of Cambridge, said:

“Since UK’s cumulative number of positive cases is currently doubling roughly every 2 days, it will be soon be highly informative to offer additional reporting - but a week in arrears - by sample-date and by the reason-for-testing.

So, we are doubling every 2 days - not the six days mentioned earlier and not the 7-10 the US are quoting at the moment.

It could be that we're finding them that quickly, but they're growing a bit slower. If it was doubling every two days then we're a bit screwed.
    The government seems to be acting on the assumption that sooner or later this will spread through a substantial percentage of the population, be it 80%, 50%, 30% or whatever. If that happens, realistically it will be self-medication for all but a very few. Whether the lack of intensive care beds will make that much difference I'm not sure. The numbers from China suggest that maybe 75% of those identified as critically ill did eventually succumb, and that number is still increasing. The numbers I've seen from Italy seem essentially similar.
    The availability of intensive care beds could make a difference between an average death rate of 3% and a death rate of 10% or so though for those who do get coronavirus
    That would require that only a small percentage of the population got it, which isn't the assumption. And as I just pointed out, it's not clear that intensive care actually saves many lives in this case.
    edited March 2020

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It's not anything like as big a difference as Eurosceptics like to pretend. The expansion of the union was far more significant than its deepening in changing attitudes to it.
    It was a huge difference, it made the difference between a trading block and a Federal EU superstate with its own President, currency and armed forces.

Roy Jenkins was President of the Commission. It's a role that predates our accession, as do the main political institutions like the ECJ. The EEC was nothing like EFTA, which is why it succeeded and EFTA didn't.
    The Euro, free movement, a European army all developed well after we joined and it is only recently that the European elections have been linked to election of the EU Commission President.

EFTA is still going unlike the EEC which has been replaced by the EU.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So?
    Duh, there was always far more support in County Durham for the Tories than there is in the UK for joining the single currency and a Federal EU Superstate
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,342
    Sandpit said:

When a single daily landing slot is being sold on a secondary market for $27m, does that not give the slightest bit of a hint to those in charge that they should be expanding the number of slots available?
    No wonder Flybe went bust. The costs of slots in London (and the cost of any ground maintenance/refueling etc) increased the overheads on regional flights making them uneconomic. Building the new runway at Heathrow (and one at Gatwick as well, not instead of) is essential for regional connectivity and that idiotic court decision was a real blow to the Scottish economy.
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I'm not sure lecturing a Leaver about what motivates them is really going to be that successful...

If you understood it you wouldn't have lost.
    Chris said:

HYUFD said:

Chris said:

Chameleon said:

Telegraph:

Prof Sheila Bird, formerly Programme Leader, MRC Biostatistics Unit, University of Cambridge, said:

“Since UK’s cumulative number of positive cases is currently doubling roughly every 2 days, it will be soon be highly informative to offer additional reporting - but a week in arrears - by sample-date and by the reason-for-testing.

So, we are doubling every 2 days - not the six days mentioned earlier and not the 7-10 the US are quoting at the moment.

It could be that we're finding them that quickly, but they're growing a bit slower. If it was doubling every two days then we're a bit screwed.
    The government seems to be acting on the assumption that sooner or later this will spread through a substantial percentage of the population, be it 80%, 50%, 30% or whatever. If that happens, realistically it will be self-medication for all but a very few. Whether the lack of intensive care beds will make that much difference I'm not sure. The numbers from China suggest that maybe 75% of those identified as critically ill did eventually succumb, and that number is still increasing. The numbers I've seen from Italy seem essentially similar.
    The availability of intensive care beds could make a difference between an average death rate of 3% and a death rate of 10% or so though for those who do get coronavirus
    That would require that only a small percentage of the population got it, which isn't the assumption. And as I just pointed out, it's not clear that intensive care actually saves many lives in this case.
    The headline death rate from coronavirus itself would still be the same even if everyone got it or only 10 people got it, however intensive care treatment could reduce the minority of cases who develop and die from secondary symptoms like pneumonia
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

The Euro, free movement, a European army all developed well after we joined and it is only recently that the European elections have been linked to election of the EU Commission President.

Free movement was in the Treaty of Rome, the first stages of European military cooperation predate even the Coal and Steel Community, and included the UK, and we had a permanent opt out from the Euro. You are trying to rewrite history.
  • state_go_awaystate_go_away Posts: 5,753
    edited March 2020
    alex_ said:

So the Premier League banned the pre-game 'fairplay' handshakes, only for... all the players to embrace and shake hands at the end of the match! What was the point of that? Or is the point that they don't want to 'enforce' handshakes on the players, but what the players choose to do voluntarily is up to them?

Covid-19 or not ,I always find it irritating the forced handshake before the game in football matches. It did not used to be the case until fairly recently . Especially as it morphed into a sort of grasp a couple of years ago. Handshakes are good manners but lose meaning if forced or prescribed.

edited March 2020

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

I'm not sure lecturing a Leaver about what motivates them is really going to be that successful...

If you understood it you wouldn't have lost.
    We all lost, and my side of the argument wasn't represented in the 2016 referendum.
  • another_richardanother_richard Posts: 26,235
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

When a single daily landing slot is being sold on a secondary market for $27m, does that not give the slightest bit of a hint to those in charge that they should be expanding the number of slots available?
    No wonder Flybe went bust. The costs of slots in London (and the cost of any ground maintenance/refueling etc) increased the overheads on regional flights making them uneconomic. Building the new runway at Heathrow (and one at Gatwick as well, not instead of) is essential for regional connectivity and that idiotic court decision was a real blow to the Scottish economy.
    Perhaps the Scottish government might like to subsidise FlyBe or whoever replaces them if having flights to Heathrow is so important to the Scottish economy.

Ditto the Northern Irish and Isle of Man governments.

And Exeter city council.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Free movement was in the Treaty of Rome, the first stages of European military cooperation predate even the Coal and Steel Community, and included the UK, and we had a permanent opt out from the Euro. You are trying to rewrite history.
    Not free movement from the poorer Eastern European nations which is where the problems arose, there was no European army set up to compete with NATO at the time of the Treaty of Rome and to rejoin now we would likely have to join the Euro which is far less popular than even voting to Remain in 2016 was with the opt out
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,342

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

Perhaps the Scottish government might like to subsidise FlyBe or whoever replaces them if having flights to Heathrow is so important to the Scottish economy.

And Exeter city council.
    We need to increase the supply of slots. Prices will then look after themselves. And many of these regional flights are already subsidised.

I am aware that when planes were flying from Dundee to London City they carried enough fuel and food for the return journey. They were being charged by the hour for time on the tarmac in City and any delay in the flight wiped out any profit. City get away with that because there is massive unmet demand.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 56,251
    I'm gutted.

Air New Zealand business class from Los Angeles to London was a great offering, and terrific value too. And the Sky Coach for economy passengers was pretty good too.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Not free movement from the poorer Eastern European nations which is where the problems arose, there was no European army set up to compete with NATO at the time of the Treaty of Rome and to rejoin now we would likely have to join the Euro which is far less popular than even voting to Remain in 2016 was with the opt out
    So now you're supporting my point that enlargement was a more significant factor.

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So now you're supporting my point that enlargement was a more significant factor.
    It was one factor, exacerbated by Blair's failure to impose transition controls on free movement from the new accession countries
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,012
    algarkirk said:

BigRich said:

Be interesting, to know how this has changed from before the referendum, and a year ago.
    What is it like to be one of the 11% of 'British adults' who aren't British?

Brilliant , I am Scottish and European
    HYUFD said:

malcolmg said:
    Hardly given 55% voted to stay in the UK
    You plank that does not mean they would all say they are British
    What kind of morons are roaming the streets
    Alistair said:

RobD said:

HYUFD said:
    Wasn't support for euro membership supposed to surge or something? :D:p
    If the EU wants us back it will have to give up on the euro being an aspect of membership.
    You don't need to join the Euro to be part of the EU.

The rules are different for membership of each.
    The ultra unionists on here are not bright enough to realise that.
    DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

David the real blow to the Scottish economy is unlike every other normal country , we have to fly to London to get anywhere. The arseholes in Westminster make sure we are kept in our place by not having direct routes. Stick Heathrow up their arses and everybody should go via Schipol.

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

And Exeter city council.
    You halfwitted cretin, how can they subsidise airlines when they only get pocket money from Westminster, who's only aim is to make sure Scotland is kept in its place by having to go via that shithole in the first place.
  • Scott_xPScott_xP Posts: 35,390
    malcolmg said:

how can they subsidise airlines

They bought an entire fucking airport nobody uses (except the US military)

A plane doesn't seem like an extravagance at that point...
    malcolmg said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

And Exeter city council.
    You halfwitted cretin, how can they subsidise airlines when they only get pocket money from Westminster, who's only aim is to make sure Scotland is kept in its place by having to go via that shithole in the first place.
    It seems you're not willing to pay more taxes.
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Sandpit said:

And Exeter city council.
    We need to increase the supply of slots. Prices will then look after themselves. And many of these regional flights are already subsidised.

I am aware that when planes were flying from Dundee to London City they carried enough fuel and food for the return journey. They were being charged by the hour for time on the tarmac in City and any delay in the flight wiped out any profit. City get away with that because there is massive unmet demand.
    How much of that demand is from the people of Dundee rather than the people of London ?
This discussion has been closed.