Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » David Herdson’s tip for Dem running mate: Julian Castro at 25/

Comments

• ChameleonChameleon Posts: 4,264
    edited March 2020
    GIN1138 said:

https://twitter.com/lawrencerowland/status/1236238835069210624?s=20

With 140,000 people tested, the country’s mortality rate is just over 0.6 per cent compared to the 3.4 per cent global average reported by the WHO

Some good news for once???? *FAINTS*
    Bear in mind the demographics of those with it: 35% under 30, 63% female, 7% over 70. Their percentage of patients deceased is 0.6% with 97% of cases still unresolved.

https://twitter.com/YangeHan/status/1235866453028438019
  • Fysics_TeacherFysics_Teacher Posts: 6,267
    Cookie said:

Just been to do my panic buy. Happy to report almost no shortages at all in Stretford, though Tesco clearly facing a few challenges in restocking the shelves neatly. The only gaps I saw were in own-brand dried pasta.

I’m doing a slow panic buy: two or three tins extra each time I shop.

The M&S I went to was out of loo paper and hand gel, everything else was fine.

At the pet food shop there was a special offer on bulk buying Felix, so I now have 48 days worth (for my cats, not me).
  • edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,551
    GIN1138 said:

With 140,000 people tested, the country’s mortality rate is just over 0.6 per cent compared to the 3.4 per cent global average reported by the WHO

Most of them only got it a couple of weeks ago, it takes some time to kill you...
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,876

On topic.

I think it will be a woman.

I agree that is quite likely.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 53,407
    IshmaelZ said:

People are generally canceling foreign holidays not because they are afraid of catching and dying of Covid -19 but the fear of not being able to get back or being quarantined abroad . This is utterly a ridiculous situation where people are fearing government decisions more than the actual illness. it shows governments are over reacting and there definitely is a bad case of Groupthink infecting the world if not a plague.

That's not at all a ridiculous situation. Currently you have not many people infected, but a lot of potential growth. Any single infected person can easily create a chain of 2->4->8->... resulting in a large number of infections, some of them of vulnerable people. In that situation you currently shouldn't be very scared of catching it, but the government should be trying very hard to prevent even a very small probability of you spreading it.
    His argument is exactly like this: You know those low bridges where they put a sacrificial bar the same height as the bridge a mile before you get to it so if you are overheight you break the bar and do a bit, but only a bit, of damage instead of a lot? That is lunacy! Lorry drivers are being turned back not by the bridge itself, but by the government overreacting to the bridge by putting the bar up.
    Yet sometimes the damage done by the barrier is pretty bad too, and people get killed.
    https://www.thenational.ae/uae/transport/fatal-dubai-bus-crash-barrier-incorrectly-sited-lawyers-claim-1.884226
    kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Castro looks like a good VP pick on most grounds, only problem might be his surname for low information voters

I dont recall seeing this phrase 'low information voters' until recently but now its everywhere. Is it some new psephological euphemism that has caught on regarding people who dont pay much attention?
    The alternative is the phrase famously used by Hillary Clinton. It didn’t go down very well with those to whom it was referring.
  • nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    The problem is nobody will come to your funeral after 39 infected at on in La Roija.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,708
    Sandpit said:

kle4 said:

HYUFD said:

Castro looks like a good VP pick on most grounds, only problem might be his surname for low information voters

I dont recall seeing this phrase 'low information voters' until recently but now its everywhere. Is it some new psephological euphemism that has caught on regarding people who dont pay much attention?
    The alternative is the phrase famously used by Hillary Clinton. It didn’t go down very well with those to whom it was referring.
    It's a euphemism used instead of saying they're thick!
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    WTF Liverpool !?

Shouldn't have had a midseason break.
  • Daveyboy1961Daveyboy1961 Posts: 3,708

Cookie said:

Just been to do my panic buy. Happy to report almost no shortages at all in Stretford, though Tesco clearly facing a few challenges in restocking the shelves neatly. The only gaps I saw were in own-brand dried pasta.

At the pet food shop there was a special offer on bulk buying Felix, so I now have 48 days worth (for my cats, not me).
    I've just been to do the week's shopping in Tesco Pembroke Dock. Just a normal day, no shortages. I would suggest perhaps this is a very regional issue.
  • isamisam Posts: 41,118
    edited March 2020

WTF Liverpool !?

That should never have been given, blatant foul in the build up. What is VAR for if it doesn't spot that?
    isam said:

WTF Liverpool !?

That should never have been given, blatant foul in the build up. What is VAR for if it doesn't spot that?
    I don't have BT so listening on radio, couldn't see it.
  • squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,574

Must admit I haven't been following happenings in India in recent weeks.

https://twitter.com/Andrew_Adonis/status/1236211883285327872

Its been on.the news a fair bit. Its shocking.. ethnic cleansing..
  • MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    Good to see Liverpool getting beaten.

Thanks for saying that.
  • Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Nigelb said:

eristdoof said:

Of all the appaling things I have heard come from Trump's mouth, this is one of the most disgraceful things I have ever heard from potitician in my lifetime.

“I like the numbers being where they are,” said Trump, who appeared to be explicitly acknowledging his political concerns about the outbreak: “I don’t need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn’t our fault.”
    Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/06/us-coronavirus-death-toll-washington-state

In other words he doesn't care if people on the ship get ill or die, he doesn't want them being counted as US statistics.

And, as we know from the Japanese example, a cruise ship is a really bad place to try to isolate the infected. Chances of large numbers of the passengers going on to become infected is fairly high.
    The Wikipedia article on the Grand Princess is quite worrying.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2020_coronavirus_outbreak_on_cruise_ships
    Apart from sticking a few extra tins in the pantry (of stuff that I know I'm going to use regardless,) I've done nothing differently so far in response to the coronavirus panic - EXCEPT to abandon any planning for foreign holidays til this thing has passed. Because why would you bother under the circumstances? There's an excellent chance that something will go horribly wrong: the airline you're due to fly with going bust, the hotel you're due to stay in getting sealed off by the police because someone in it coughed (hopefully before you get there, although knowing my luck it would happen immediately after I arrived and I'd be imprisoned within it,) any attractions you wanted to visit being closed for the duration.

But the most idiotic thing you could do at the moment is surely to board a cruise ship? The second someone coughs on one of those things you find yourself effectively incarcerated in your tiny cabin aboard a disease-ridden prison hulk, going stir-crazy whilst you wait for the near-inevitable illness to strike. I hesitate to say that anybody who's stupid enough to board a cruise ship knowing how much of a risk they're taking deserves what's coming to them, but... well, it's not a very good idea, is it?

You were saying...

You were saying...
    I hope he say Mane more comments.
  • tysontyson Posts: 6,106
    I have to say the quality of Herdson's Saturday pieces are outstanding.. seriously very good

• eggegg Posts: 1,749
    tyson said:

I have to say the quality of Herdson's Saturday pieces are outstanding.. seriously very good

He is very good.

You were saying...
    I hope he say Mane more comments.
    Will teach him for Salahvating over the prospects of another defeat.
  • malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 43,012

I think a lot more people are concerned about the economic downturns than just researchers
    I am less concerned about stock markets than small, local businesses, especially pubs, cafes etc etc.

Could be mass closures if we have three months of nobody leaving their houses other than to go to work and rush straight back.

We need action on Wed at the Budget to tide these small businesses over.
    Business rates and employers PAYE holiday would be good!
    No income tax for 3 months would help

eristdoof said:

Of all the appaling things I have heard come from Trump's mouth, this is one of the most disgraceful things I have ever heard from potitician in my lifetime.

“I like the numbers being where they are,” said Trump, who appeared to be explicitly acknowledging his political concerns about the outbreak: “I don’t need to have the numbers double because of one ship that wasn’t our fault.”
    Source: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/mar/06/us-coronavirus-death-toll-washington-state

In other words he doesn't care if people on the ship get ill or die, he doesn't want them being counted as US statistics.

I heard him say that. He disgusts me
    He is a not very bright man incapable of empathy. The disgrace and disgust should be equally directed at the many, much more capable people who have allowed him to become President and are still cheering him on.
    Much like Boris who is a UK carbon copy

Cookie said:

I've just been to do the week's shopping in Tesco Pembroke Dock. Just a normal day, no shortages. I would suggest perhaps this is a very regional issue.
    It will southern jessies for sure
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 50,644
    President of the region of Lazio has coronavirus.

https://twitter.com/nzingaretti/status/1236266675030253569?s=21
    egg said:

tyson said:

He is very good.
    This one is horse manure

It is foreigners and wrong type so of no interest to the southern British isolationists
    what do you expect from a sneering Tory
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,020
    edited March 2020
    But what percentage think they are citizens of nowhere?
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,276

He is a not very bright man incapable of empathy. The disgrace and disgust should be equally directed at the many, much more capable people who have allowed him to become President and are still cheering him on.

And the voters. There's a tendency to give them a pass but I'm afraid that I don't. I have zero respect for anybody who votes Trump this time. I mean that. I wouldn't give them the time of day. If they were on fire I wouldn't piss on them.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,342
    GIN1138 said:

I was saying about 10 days that they were really getting their act together and would get on top of this. Their use of technology to identify routes and possible infection points for every identified carrier was world leading, the resources and level of testing put pretty much every country (apart from the UK and Singapore) to shame.

They have demonstrated that you don't need to a psychopathic communist dictatorship to get on top of this. You just need a focus and relentless determination. Which is so far away from what we are currently seeing in the US as to make you weep. If you show that determination exponential maths pretty much disappears out of the reckoning and the peak will be a faint shadow of what some calamity artists are claiming.
  • BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489
    Be interesting, to know how this has changed from before the referendum, and a year ago.
  • kinabalukinabalu Posts: 41,276
    tyson said:

I have to say the quality of Herdson's Saturday pieces are outstanding.. seriously very good.

Yes. And same goes for lots of the headers on here. It's a very good site.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,821
    If there were any remaining doubt, the government's decision deliberately to crash out of the European Aviation Safety Agency should finally dispel it; they are stark, raving bonkers. This is a decision with zero upside and lots of downside.
  • NigelbNigelb Posts: 68,876
    DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

I was saying about 10 days that they were really getting their act together and would get on top of this. Their use of technology to identify routes and possible infection points for every identified carrier was world leading, the resources and level of testing put pretty much every country (apart from the UK and Singapore) to shame.

They have demonstrated that you don't need to a psychopathic communist dictatorship to get on top of this. You just need a focus and relentless determination. Which is so far away from what we are currently seeing in the US as to make you weep. If you show that determination exponential maths pretty much disappears out of the reckoning and the peak will be a faint shadow of what some calamity artists are claiming.
    Fingers crossed that you’re right, but it is far from certain just yet.
    France the 6th nation to join the double digit death club.
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,106
    BigRich said:

Be interesting, to know how this has changed from before the referendum, and a year ago.
    What is it like to be one of the 11% of 'British adults' who aren't British?

• JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,159
    BigRich said:

It would be interesting to see how leavers and remainers compare. I voted Leave but would definitely say British and European.
  • CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 60,216
    Nasty racist little Britain

Which two of these problems are most important facing [COUNTRY] just now?
    Immigration
    Britain: 12
    France: 26
    Germany: 24

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/v17h1b66px/Handelsblatt_ToplineResults_Feb2020_public.pdf
  • algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 12,106
    malcolmg said:

Cookie said:

It will southern jessies for sure
    All very normal in Cumbria.

malcolmg said:

It is foreigners and wrong type so of no interest to the southern British isolationists
    It's the usual media bias, ignoring the fact that a lot of British people are of Indian origin and will be interested. It's like when there's a hurricane: they wet themselves over what's happening in Florida while small Caribbean nations get unreported.
  • DavidLDavidL Posts: 53,342
    Nigelb said:

DavidL said:

GIN1138 said:

Fingers crossed that you’re right, but it is far from certain just yet.
    What is certain is that the longer we go on without material changes in behaviour the worse it is going to get. Iran seems in danger of collapsing and the US just isn't trying.
    algarkirk said:

BigRich said:

Some will be Scottish. And we don't know how the sample was chosen, some may be foreign residents
    HYUFD said:
    To be fair he was never going to be PM whatever he decided.
  • HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 121,106
    malcolmg said:
    Hardly given 55% voted to stay in the UK
  • CatManCatMan Posts: 3,020

Immigration

https://d25d2506sfb94s.cloudfront.net/cumulus_uploads/document/v17h1b66px/Handelsblatt_ToplineResults_Feb2020_public.pdf

Serious question. If this is true, why is anti EU sentiment so much lower in France and Germany?

algarkirk said:

BigRich said:

Some will be Scottish. And we don't know how the sample was chosen, some may be foreign residents
    British residents, foreign citizens surely?
  • brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    algarkirk said:

BigRich said:

Some people consider themselves English, Welsh, Scottish but not British.
    CatMan said:

Immigration

Serious question. If this is true, why is anti EU sentiment so much lower in France and Germany?
    Le Pen is now polling well over 20% in France and the AfD polling close to 20%, both are primarily anti immigration

BigRich said:

It would be interesting to see how leavers and remainers compare. I voted Leave but would definitely say British and European.
    I voted Remain and would also say British and European but opposed to the single currency
    Our numbers are late again...
  • tlg86tlg86 Posts: 26,023
    CatMan said:

Immigration

Concern about different types of immigrants?
    edited March 2020
    algarkirk said:

BigRich said:

Ask SNP, Sinn Fein and Plaid voters.

Technically it is only 2% who say they are European only, 5% say they are European and British
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,024
    kinabalu said:

And the voters. There's a tendency to give them a pass but I'm afraid that I don't. I have zero respect for anybody who votes Trump this time. I mean that. I wouldn't give them the time of day. If they were on fire I wouldn't piss on them.
    I would not go so far, but I do think there is a tendency to infantilise the average voter. While hindsight is a wonderful thing, I don't think people should get a pass on everything. For instance, I voted Leave and knew there would be risks from that. I could and do argue how much shit I should get if things go badly with Brexit, but I cannot simply blame it all on the politicians since putting it in their hands was one of the risks.
  • kle4kle4 Posts: 95,024
    CatMan said:

Immigration

Because anti EU sentiment is not solely about immigration concerns?
  • nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

If there were any remaining doubt, the government's decision deliberately to crash out of the European Aviation Safety Agency should finally dispel it; they are stark, raving bonkers. This is a decision with zero upside and lots of downside.

Yes it’s utterly demented but will get little press coverage . Apparently when Leavers voted they were desperate to leave EASA !

Seriously would Leavers have a problem staying in this . This rancid government is hijacking the vote to use it as an excuse to do some utterly crazy things .
    CatMan said:

Immigration

If you look at the tables France now isn't that much more pro-EU than we are. Same with the nordics (though for opposite reasons).

Immigration is only one motivating factor; for us sovereignty and 'more europe' were also issues, but those are the issues French voters are actually supportive of. E.g. look at how supportive they are of the Euro and expanding the role of the EU. (like us) The opposite is largely true of the nordics.

HYUFD said:
    Next level of planning appears to have been activated, hope that they get some good people to join the response team.

Watching from afar, the UK govt appears to be doing a very good job of this as the numbers inevitably start to increase - in sharp contrast to many other nations. UK in the same group as Singapore and Korea for the response.
    3 games to go ...
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 5,006

eristdoof said:

They say we get the politicians we deserve and Americans chose Trump.

Likewise he disgusts me., it goes beyond the usual political divides. I'm no fan of Johnson but he is a far more decent human being than Trump will ever be.
  • MalmesburyMalmesbury Posts: 48,464

CatMan said:

Immigration

If you look at the tables France now isn't that much more pro-EU than we are. Same with the nordics (though for opposite reasons).

Immigration is only one motivating factor; for us sovereignty and 'more europe' were also issues, but those are the issues French voters are actually supportive of. E.g. look at how supportive they are of the Euro and expanding the role of the EU. (like us) The opposite is largely true of the nordics.

A major part of this is that, for France, Europe is about increasing their power in the world. They ran Europe until German re-unification - many institutions are still very French heavy. Plus you have the French attitude to the rules - if they are not useful to France, they will be ignored.

For the Germans - well, they run Europe now. Carefully, so as not to spook the French too much.

In both cases they feel that if they want to change immigration, they can - I've had that expressed to me by many French and German nationals.
  • TimTTimT Posts: 6,341
    Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:
    Next level of planning appears to have been activated, hope that they get some good people to join the response team.

Watching from afar, the UK govt appears to be doing a very good job of this as the numbers inevitably start to increase - in sharp contrast to many other nations. UK in the same group as Singapore and Korea for the response.
    Warms the cockles, doesn't it?

eristdoof said:

There remain several on this site sadly.
    That's not that bad, Germany and France are very rapidly growing.
    OllyT said:

eristdoof said:

Likewise he disgusts me., it goes beyond the usual political divides. I'm no fan of Johnson but he is a far more decent human being than Trump will ever be.
    The two have nothing alike. It's like comparing Blair (Johnson) with Corbyn (Trump)
    CatMan said:

Immigration

It will be a combination of factors. One of them may be “conservation of comments”. Respondents were asked for two and not surprisingly UK ones were dominated by “Future relationship with EU” - which barely registers in other countries.
    OllyT said:

eristdoof said:

Jimmy Carter is probably the most recent human being to hold the office of President in the last 50 years and was also one of the worst presidents.

Trump is a product of fears of globalisation and immigration as much as Brexit was, a symptom not a cause
    edited March 2020

There’s a lot of background to this one. EASA are in the middle of doing some very stupid things with regard to both commercial pilots’ working time limitations, and general aviation standards and certifications.

https://www.pprune.org/rumours-news/630306-uk-leave-easa.html
    (There’s a few political Brexit comments there on both sides, but also a lot of more nuanced discussion of the pros and cons of the decision).
    OllyT said:

eristdoof said:

Are there?
    edited March 2020
    https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1235936111249231872?s=20

Cut Covid-19 death toll from 2 to 1 vs previous deleted tweet.
  • GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    American hospitals preparing for about 2 million in ICU and 500,000 deaths.

https://www.businessinsider.com/presentation-us-hospitals-preparing-for-millions-of-hospitalizations-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

I wonder how many ICU beds we have?
  • alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Chameleon said:
    US Government going to try and hide the COVID-19 statistics within the flu ones?

? those are yesterday's figures
    TimT said:

Sandpit said:

HYUFD said:

Warms the cockles, doesn't it?
    Watching what’s happening very close to me in Iran, Hell Yeah!
  • ydoethurydoethur Posts: 70,660
    malcolmg said:
    The Irish in Northern Ireland wave hallo.
    edited March 2020
    In short, in matters vegetable, animal and mineral, he is the very model of a modern major Seanaral.

American hospitals preparing for about 2 million in ICU and 500,000 deaths.

https://www.businessinsider.com/presentation-us-hospitals-preparing-for-millions-of-hospitalizations-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

I wonder how many ICU beds we have?

The disconnect between the assumptions that the US Healthcare system seem to be working and the public statements at the national level are bizarre. Something's got to give at some point...
    edited March 2020
    alex_ said:

Chameleon said:
    US Government going to try and hide the COVID-19 statistics within the flu ones?
    To be fair I'm not sure how much we should read into this. There is heightened awareness so people are more likely to seek treatment if they have flu symptoms this season.
    Chameleon said:

France the 6th nation to join the double digit death club.

That’s a rather unflattering way to refer to the EU.

Oh, sorry, you were talking about Covid 19?
  • FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 80,424
    edited March 2020
    Same sort of increase as yesterday...I presume we will see a much bigger jump tomorrow. Running at now 4% of tests come back positive i.e ~1000 test yesterday, ~40 new cases.

https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1236299949769441281?s=20
    HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

eristdoof said:

Jimmy Carter is probably the most recent human being to hold the office of President in the last 50 years and was also one of the worst presidents.

Trump is a product of fears of globalisation and immigration as much as Brexit was, a symptom not a cause
    Sorry would not have bought that excuse for electing Trump four years ago and I certainly don't buy it now. Anyone who votes for Trump in November knows exactly the type of person they are giving power to.

OllyT said:

eristdoof said:

Are there?

Certainly but few have the guts to come out and say it outright.
    OllyT said:

OllyT said:

eristdoof said:

Are there?

Certainly but few have the guts to come out and say it outright.
    It remains a pretty shocking indictment of the Dems that they have put up unelectable candidates twice on a Buggins’ Turn principle thereby handing power to this utter lunatic.
    alex_ said:

? those are yesterday's figures
    They deleted their original tweet:

https://twitter.com/DHSCgovuk/status/1236299949769441281?s=20
    It is of course true that the two most honourable and decent men to be President in the twentieth century were Carter and Hoover. They were also unarguably two of the three most disastrous presidents of the twentieth century.

However, since Nixon was their near-exact counterpart on the other side and he would hardly be considered an unqualified success, I don’t think we can draw conclusions from this.
    OllyT said:

HYUFD said:

OllyT said:

eristdoof said:

Sorry would not have bought that excuse for electing Trump four years ago and I certainly don't buy it now. Anyone who votes for Trump in November knows exactly the type of person they are giving power to.
    And many want to give him power to control immigration and push more protectionist policies, especially in the South and Midwest, you may not like that but that is democracy
This discussion has been closed.