Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Amy Klobuchar coming up strongly in Iowa and now within striki

Comments

• Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,272

I reflected overnight on the election result that the country deserves (as opposed to what it will get) and concluded that it would look something like:

Con 310
    Lab 251
    SNP 45
    Lib Dems 20
    DUP 8
    Sinn Fein 6
    Plaid Cymru 4
    Alliance 2
    SDLP 2
    Green 1
    Speaker 1

Not that any of the politicians are anywhere near competent enough to deal with such a result.

I could live with that if it meant the back of Corbyn-which it should, but might not.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,365

Andy_JS said:

Is anyone still undecided as to who to vote for tomorrow?

Yes. Not in an electorally interesting manner though. My choices are Lib Dem, Green and spoiling my ballot paper. In a safe Conservative seat with Labour second, this is in the realm of performance art.

Not voting or spoiling your ballot paper is copping out IMHO.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,356

DavidL said:

I reflected overnight on the election result that the country deserves (as opposed to what it will get) and concluded that it would look something like:

Con 310
    Lab 251
    SNP 45
    Lib Dems 20
    DUP 8
    Sinn Fein 6
    Plaid Cymru 4
    Alliance 2
    SDLP 2
    Green 1
    Speaker 1

Not that any of the politicians are anywhere near competent enough to deal with such a result.

I think we've tried this for the last 2 years. It didn't work. Probably for the reason you have indicated.
    This result would almost certainly lead to voting reform for a Labour minority Government. Works for me.
    I think I am with Jon Ashworth on this. Corbyn is not even close to being fit to be PM. He makes Boris look good. Think about that for a moment. He makes Boris look good. I mean, jeez.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,732
    edited December 2019

Foxy said:

Is he doing some sort of weird Generation Game thing where he has to play at doing every job, and make a hash of it for the amusement of the cameras?

Some say that the LDs went too heavy on PM Swinson, but the Tories going so heavy on the clown cult of BoZo may have been a much bigger mistake. Hardly any other cabinet minister seems to have been on show, and virtually all the Tory stuff is about personalities rather than policy.

Johnson is pitching for the older, working class, male Labour Leave vote. He’s spent a lot of time donning the high vis jackets and other forms of working gear of that demographic. It’s smart politics.

It just looks like buffoonery to me, from a man who has never done a physical job in his life.

If it is smart politics, why isn't it working?
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,272

Andy_JS said:

I mean, I think I’m now voting Labour but I could wobble in the voting booth.
    What? With a vote magnet like Boris as the alternative.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    Buttigeig is a McKinsey psychopath and an utter dud. Patrick Bateman as played by Norman Bates. He's incompetent as mayor, and from his bizarre missteps like inventing black supporters, equally incompetent as a campaigner. The voters who he'd need to win from Trump aren't going to be impressed by his ability to express contempt for them in 6 different languages.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,009

Andy_JS said:

Yes. Not in an electorally interesting manner though. My choices are Lib Dem, Green and spoiling my ballot paper. In a safe Conservative seat with Labour second, this is in the realm of performance art.

In a constituency where the hat stand with a blue rosette is going to win regardless?
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    Andy_JS said:

Still not sure but firming up to be Lib Dems even though Jo Swinson is truly a terrible leader. Uncle Vince would have been so much better (and that's saying something!)

Priority is to get the flip-flopping hapless Stephen Hammond kicked out of Wimbledon. Word on the ground here is that it's still relatively close but a split Labour / LibDem vote would allow Hammond to survive (sadly).
  • Options
    Stocky said:

If the result is that the Tories narrowly fail to gain a majority, Farage will take some flack. He`s about to cost the Tories Hartlepool, probably Barnsley East ... any others?

Really? You could equally argue that Boris has cost Farage a seat..
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

On resigning club, I’ve already ‘resigned’ from Crossrail (2 weeks ago, as it happens) and am leaving that client after nearly 5.5 years. I may do a day or so a week there next year, but I finish there full time at Christmas.

I’m working on a new client for 2020, which may amuse some of you when I reveal it but I can’t discuss it yet.

That means it’s either (a) fixed; or (b) unfixable

We should be told!
  • Options
    Charles said:

ydoethur said:

If that isn’t a spoof it’s genuinely frightening.
    It’s a silly question and deserves a silly answer
    Yes, if only Johnson had had the opportunity to answer some serious questions from someone serious like Andrew Neil...
  • Options
    argyllrsargyllrs Posts: 155
    Does anyone think that if the Lib Dems had respected the referendum and we had left the EU, that they would be experiencing a resurgence and massively eating into Labour (and some Con) seats. Instead they could be back down to single figures if they don't win big in home counties/Surrey.
  • Options

Private Eye couldn’t better it.
    All is vanity seems to fit quite well for Boris.
    It is from Ecclesiastes. Vanity, Vanity, all is Vanity. It's a beautiful passage.
    Interesting. Perhaps his brain works a bit like mine: if someone says something I often get a quotation from somewhere popping into my head.

I would not take that as a recommendation: I would be a terrible Prime Minister as I am one of the laziest people I know (and that includes my Year 10 Physics class).
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
  • Options

On resigning club, I’ve already ‘resigned’ from Crossrail (2 weeks ago, as it happens) and am leaving that client after nearly 5.5 years. I may do a day or so a week there next year, but I finish there full time at Christmas.

I’m working on a new client for 2020, which may amuse some of you when I reveal it but I can’t discuss it yet.

I was hoping you might be helping to do the Bakerloo line extension, but no sign of that getting funded any time soon. 5-6 years is a good length of time for one job. I'm in my current job for over six years now, should think if moving on but I quite enjoy what I am doing right now and it fits well with family commitments etc so will probably stick with it. Good luck in your new role.
    I suspect CrossRails over runs and delays means that this is it for London underground extensions for a while.
  • Options
    AlanbrookeAlanbrooke Posts: 23,760
    eek said:

If we are still talking about the MRP seats - Things may not be correct due to polling decisions.

https://twitter.com/centrist_phone/status/1204569918060027904

and one focus of this election has been trying to get younger people to register (and hopefully vote).

At home I have two poll cards for my kids 26 and 24

neither one can be arsed to vote.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Are you the new Sir Topham Hat?
    Please, I’m not that tubby.
  • Options
    nunu2 said:
    That depends - remember you don't want to visit a constituency where you are spending money on leaflets - better to visit the safe seat next door and use the media.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Con 310
    Lab 251
    SNP 45
    Lib Dems 20
    DUP 8
    Sinn Fein 6
    Plaid Cymru 4
    Alliance 2
    SDLP 2
    Green 1
    Speaker 1

I think we've tried this for the last 2 years. It didn't work. Probably for the reason you have indicated.
    Then we should go away and do it again and this time properly.
    Doing it again is not going to make our politicians any more competent. We have what we have. We need a majority government to get things done. That majority can come from a stable coalition as in 2010-15 but more often the Coalition is inside a single party. Managing that is hard enough for the candidates we have.
    Given the “things” our politicians want to get done, not getting them done seems just fine by me. In the meantime, they can learn how to work together.
  • Options

eek said:

If we are still talking about the MRP seats - Things may not be correct due to polling decisions.

and one focus of this election has been trying to get younger people to register (and hopefully vote).

As with Brexit the final result depends on who actually gets out and puts a cross on the paper. I think it shows how much of a gamble polling is - the figures don't actually matter, the assumptions used are everything.
  • Options

DavidL said:

Con 310
    Lab 251
    SNP 45
    Lib Dems 20
    DUP 8
    Sinn Fein 6
    Plaid Cymru 4
    Alliance 2
    SDLP 2
    Green 1
    Speaker 1

Then we should go away and do it again and this time properly.
    That’s wishful thinking. We know where it would end: chaos and gridlock, and quite possibly a No Deal Brexit too.

If we weren’t staring down the barrel of the break-up of the UK and a crash-out from the EU then you might be right.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    edited December 2019
    argyllrs said:

Does anyone think that if the Lib Dems had respected the referendum and we had left the EU, that they would be experiencing a resurgence and massively eating into Labour (and some Con) seats. Instead they could be back down to single figures if they don't win big in home counties/Surrey.

Either that, or parliament should have declared the referendum advisory-only from the start and set it aside.

I think that remainer MPs have said that they "respect the result of the referendum" whilst doing all they can to undermine it, along with a complicit and vain speaker. The public`s fury over this duplicity will not be forgotton easily.

It`s all a bit of a shame.
  • Options
    Speaking of vanity and quotations of a sort, my favourite song title (not the same as the title of my favourite song) is “You’re so vain, you probably think this song is about you”.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,503

Andy_JS said:

How anyone who has complained (alot) about the economic drawbacks of Brexit, which worst case scenario is predicted to make us 'grow less', can vote to put Corbyn in power, is beyond me. Nothing to do with antisemitism, which I deplore, it's what they have confirmed they would do to the economy. It's not even like it's in any way hidden beneath a mask of bland Blairism. Nobody could vote for that unless out of revenge on the country, which is sad.
  • Options

It is from Ecclesiastes. Vanity, Vanity, all is Vanity. It's a beautiful passage.
    I am no longer religious but I love Ecclesiastes ch 3, for everything there is a season. I find it genuinely profound. https://www.biblehub.com/bsb/ecclesiastes/3.htm

Its certainly the best book in the Old Testament, arguably the best in the whole bible.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    I think Brewdog’s free beer if you vote will help boost the ‘cant be arsed’ student vote.
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    Ashworthgate may be yesterday's news in the meeja - but it produced a startling effect on the doorsteps of what was once just about Britain's safest Tory seat (Witney) yesterday

I was canvassing practically the Toriest and chocolate-box Cotswoldest villages in the Soho Farmhouse hinterland. For the past month, it had been all "Yes the Tory's a tosser, Johnson's a lying toad, and we're all Remainers. But we're not risking Corbyn"

Yesterday though, almost everywhere it went "Well: if even Labour thinks it's got no chance, we can kick the idle Tory out and get a Referendum we'll win without worrying about a Commie takeover. Now tell me why your girl's better than the Labour one".

"Almost" everywhere? Well there were a couple of Labour posters up: from them it was "Well of course I'll vote for Swinson. We always show a Labour poster to spite the neighbours. But you don't think we'd vote for Corbyn surely? Do you know how much this house is worth?" Last night's YouGov MRP put Labour here below 10%

I'd already had the Tory candidate for the District tell me she thought Boyonfloorgate meant we'd probably pip her lot here.

Even I'm beginning to think we might. Just.
  • Options
    Good morning, everyone.

No overall majority now 3.25 on Ladbrokes. Was 4.5 for half a day not so long ago.
  • Options
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:

In a constituency where the hat stand with a blue rosette is going to win regardless?
    Yup. I Think everyone should vote.. not mandatorily, but they should.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

How anyone who has complained (alot) about the economic drawbacks of Brexit, which worst case scenario is predicted to make us 'grow less', can vote to put Corbyn in power, is beyond me. Nothing to do with antisemitism, which I deplore, it's what they have confirmed they would do to the economy. It's not even like it's in any way hidden beneath a mask of bland Blairism. Nobody could vote for that unless out of revenge on the country, which is sad.
    You guys are happy to inflict a ‘no deal’ Brexit in revenge so no sympathy from me I’m afraid.

You only have yourselves to blame.
  • Options

Good morning, everyone.

No overall majority now 3.25 on Ladbrokes. Was 4.5 for half a day not so long ago.

If pressed I`d put the chances of a Tory maj at 60%. What do you think?
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    DavidL said:

I am no longer religious but I love Ecclesiastes ch 3, for everything there is a season. I find it genuinely profound. https://www.biblehub.com/bsb/ecclesiastes/3.htm

Its certainly the best book in the Old Testament, arguably the best in the whole bible.
    Me too. And the Byrds song. Suggests a rather philosophical angle from Boris. :) Albeit not a very accessible answer.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,792
    "Tories open second investigation into Hastings candidate
    Sally-Ann Hart faces inquiries over alleged Islamophobia and antisemitism"

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/11/tories-open-second-investigation-sally-ann-hart-hastings-candidate
  • Options
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:

My MP is Sir Bernard Jenkin so you have correctly identified my constituency.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Good morning, everyone.

In the 60's and 70 and even the 80's, we had no MRP, no digging into seats. A 10% lead meant it was over. Frankly I think it is, but there have been v late swings , so nothing can be discounted, but I would not bank on MRP as an exact science.
  • Options

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Yup. I Think everyone should vote.. not mandatorily, but they should.
    Agreed. I will vote Tory in Dundee West. Its not even art. But its the right thing to do.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Andy_JS said:

However, it could be exactly what Corbyn needs to win votes - remember for a lot of people Brexit was a f*** you vote and you've just said a vote for Corbyn is the same.

And as I stated last night and even below the issue for pollsters is have they reached all groups and have they got their assumptions correct. If Labour and Momentum get the none-voters out the result could be very different to all predictions.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Is he doing some sort of weird Generation Game thing where he has to play at doing every job, and make a hash of it for the amusement of the cameras?

Some say that the LDs went too heavy on PM Swinson, but the Tories going so heavy on the clown cult of BoZo may have been a much bigger mistake. Hardly any other cabinet minister seems to have been on show, and virtually all the Tory stuff is about personalities rather than policy.

Johnson is pitching for the older, working class, male Labour Leave vote. He’s spent a lot of time donning the high vis jackets and other forms of working gear of that demographic. It’s smart politics.

It just looks like buffoonery to me, from a man who has never done a physical job in his life.

It is. The Tories are on course for their best result since 1987, thanks largely to support from men.

• Options
    rkrkrkrkrkrk Posts: 7,908
    Labour's steady improvement (albeit from a low base) does seem to support the theory that broadcast rules are a big help to the Labour campaign. Balanced coverage can counteract the otherwise right wing press.

I wonder then whether the Tories will look at altering these rules if they win a majority. Similar to what the Republicans did to remove the Fairness Doctrine in the US.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

stjohn said:

Nice bet on Amy, OGH. I followed you in a while back and staked £13 at 220 for her to become POTUS and £50 at 130/1 on her becoming the Democratic nominee. I’ve just had another £50 on her to be the nominee at 60/1 (Ladbrokes boosted price). She is currently 36-44 to be the nominee with Betfair and 80-100 to be POTUS.

A great time for her to get such a big poll boost. Let’s hope she has “The Mo”.

Go Amy!

Amy is my big POTUS winner. I topped up when she was still in the fight, and way too long. She has that folksiness that Middle America likes.

She also does well on the ridiculous name factor that is so important in America.
    I bet on the ridiculous name of Hickenlooper but that didn't turn out well.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

You guys are happy to inflict a ‘no deal’ Brexit in revenge so no sympathy from me I’m afraid.

Let's not rehearse the Brexit argument again. Your own answer tells me (and you) all you need to know. Thankfully, there are many more people who will be voting with the country's best interest at heart, and you will have a lot of cause to be grateful to them in the coming years.
  • Options

Foxy said:

stjohn said:

Nice bet on Amy, OGH. I followed you in a while back and staked £13 at 220 for her to become POTUS and £50 at 130/1 on her becoming the Democratic nominee. I’ve just had another £50 on her to be the nominee at 60/1 (Ladbrokes boosted price). She is currently 36-44 to be the nominee with Betfair and 80-100 to be POTUS.

Go Amy!

Amy is my big POTUS winner. I topped up when she was still in the fight, and way too long. She has that folksiness that Middle America likes.

She also does well on the ridiculous name factor that is so important in America.
    I bet on Hickenlooper too - not my finest!
  • Options
    eek said:

eek said:

As with Brexit the final result depends on who actually gets out and puts a cross on the paper. I think it shows how much of a gamble polling is - the figures don't actually matter, the assumptions used are everything.
    true

in any event if they vote in my constituency its entirely pointless as I live in one of the safest Tory seats in the country ( Stratford upon Avon ). Oddly if they have bothered to register where live ( Easling Central Edinburgh West ) it might have been worth voting,
  • Options

Con 310
    Lab 251
    SNP 45
    Lib Dems 20
    DUP 8
    Sinn Fein 6
    Plaid Cymru 4
    Alliance 2
    SDLP 2
    Green 1
    Speaker 1

I could live with that if it meant the back of Corbyn-which it should, but might not.

That result would be seen inside Labour as a huge win for Corbyn.

• Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,461
    edited December 2019

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

It is. The Tories are on course for their best result since 1987, thanks largely to support from men.

They really aren’t.

There’s been a big swingback in the last few days.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Agreed. Its self indulgence of the worst kind.

Its worth considering how Boris would have done against Blair though. I think he would have been annihilated.
  • Options

Speaking of vanity and quotations of a sort, my favourite song title (not the same as the title of my favourite song) is “You’re so vain, you probably think this song is about you”.

My favourite quotation on it was from my grandmother aged 98, who told me "Vanity is the last thing to go"
  • Options
    MysticroseMysticrose Posts: 4,688
    Stocky said:

Good morning, everyone.

If pressed I`d put the chances of a Tory maj at 60%. What do you think?
    I was on 70-75% until 48 hours ago.

Then there was THE picture. Every parent in the land thought, 'that could be my child.' And it really could. It's the state of things. It was Johnson's awful reaction that compounded it. It was the Kinnock Sheffield moment. But whether it's that, or Andrew Neil, or just tribes coming home, there is absolutely no doubt in my view that the Labour vote has firmed up sharply in the last 2 days. In fact, YouGov said the same last night and posted up a graph to that effect:

https://twitter.com/YouGov/status/1204523077041901568?s=20

Unless something major changes today I expect that trend to continue. There will be some offset due to postal votes but I'd say now that the Conservatives' chances of an overall majority are 50-50. I 'think' they may still just do it but it's on an even sharper knife edge.

In some ways, as I've mentioned before, I'd be okay with a single figure tory majority. It would kill off the Brexit albatross around Labour's neck, see Corbyn replaced by someone more electable, and it would be an absolute shitshow government of increasing chaos leading to a Labour landslide in 3 to 5 years.
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789

Andy_JS said:

Take your crayoning set with you.....
    I don’t think that Mr Meeks is a real estate lawyer.
  • Options
    Charles said:

We should be told!

I’ve just had enough.

I wouldn’t expect it to open before Christmas 2021.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

There is nothing new under the sun...
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

They really aren’t.

There’s been a big swingback in the last few days.
    You're right. There has. It's detectable everywhere: from polling to party workers to anecdotes.
  • Options

I was hoping you might be helping to do the Bakerloo line extension, but no sign of that getting funded any time soon. 5-6 years is a good length of time for one job. I'm in my current job for over six years now, should think if moving on but I quite enjoy what I am doing right now and it fits well with family commitments etc so will probably stick with it. Good luck in your new role.
    Thanks for your kind words.

If you enjoy it, what else is there?
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

DavidL said:

Me too. And the Byrds song. Suggests a rather philosophical angle from Boris. :) Albeit not a very accessible answer.
    It’s an apt self-description, though.
  • Options

Con 310
    Lab 251
    SNP 45
    Lib Dems 20
    DUP 8
    Sinn Fein 6
    Plaid Cymru 4
    Alliance 2
    SDLP 2
    Green 1
    Speaker 1

Yep, making it much more likely he stays and the far Left continues its chokehold on the party.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Let's not rehearse the Brexit argument again. Your own answer tells me (and you) all you need to know. Thankfully, there are many more people who will be voting with the country's best interest at heart, and you will have a lot of cause to be grateful to them in the coming years.
    Keep telling yourself that if it makes you feel better.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    rkrkrk said:

Labour's steady improvement (albeit from a low base) does seem to support the theory that broadcast rules are a big help to the Labour campaign. Balanced coverage can counteract the otherwise right wing press.

A LOT of people have said to me that Corbyn has come over far better than they were expecting. Mind you, he started from rock bottom so it was always possible.

That's the trouble with the media. Unfortunately for Cummings, you can't totally control it.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    Does anyone have a link to the latest yougov MRP spreadsheet?
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

Con 310
    Lab 251
    SNP 45
    Lib Dems 20
    DUP 8
    Sinn Fein 6
    Plaid Cymru 4
    Alliance 2
    SDLP 2
    Green 1
    Speaker 1

Indeed. Only a shellacking would change things in Labour, naive to think otherwise.
  • Options
    Good Finkelstein article in today’s Times, in which he takes seriously the idea of a McDonnell chancellorship.
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    That's orange juice not milk..and the orange juice you get from milk delivery companies is full of sugar.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,961
    Stocky said:

If the result is that the Tories narrowly fail to gain a majority, Farage will take some flack. He`s about to cost the Tories Hartlepool, probably Barnsley East ... any others?

Lol, if the Tories are near in Barnsley East it is nowhere near a Hung Parliament. They won't be near in Barnsley East.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Con 310
    Lab 251
    SNP 45
    Lib Dems 20
    DUP 8
    Sinn Fein 6
    Plaid Cymru 4
    Alliance 2
    SDLP 2
    Green 1
    Speaker 1

This result would almost certainly lead to voting reform for a Labour minority Government. Works for me.
    I think I am with Jon Ashworth on this. Corbyn is not even close to being fit to be PM. He makes Boris look good. Think about that for a moment. He makes Boris look good. I mean, jeez.
    Look closer. The ruthless Stalinist purging internal dissent, suspending democracy, breaking the law, running an election campaign based on lies and evasion? Boris personifies all the horror stories we were fed about Corbyn. Too thick to understand his own policies? Well, everyone else thinks Boris has put a border down the Irish Sea.

And what is Boris's reaction to parliamentary scrutiny? To being overruled by the Courts? Reflection, repentance? No, he wants to restrict the powers of both. Everything we were warned about Corbyn, is coming true with Boris.
  • Options
    timmo said:

That's orange juice not milk..and the orange juice you get from milk delivery companies is full of sugar.
    Here's some news that may distress you. All orange juice is full of sugar.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Thanks for your kind words.

If you enjoy it, what else is there?
    Good luck CR. A fresh start. Would have done it myself if life hadn’t repeatedly bludgeoned me this year.

Look how I managed to avoid a joke that your new role was in one of the new nationalised industries.
  • Options

Con 310
    Lab 251
    SNP 45
    Lib Dems 20
    DUP 8
    Sinn Fein 6
    Plaid Cymru 4
    Alliance 2
    SDLP 2
    Green 1
    Speaker 1

Yep, making it much more likely he stays and the far Left continues its chokehold on the party.

But if Johnson cannot put him away, who can? A hung Parliament - or even a close Tory win - would strongly suggest that post-Corbyn a far-left Labour Party genuinely has a chance to win. The Tories really need to deliver for the left-behind areas that are likely to lend them their votes.

• Options

Andy_JS said:

Thanks, I will. And it makes me feel brilliant.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

argyllrs said:

Either that, or parliament should have declared the referendum advisory-only from the start and set it aside.

I think that remainer MPs have said that they "respect the result of the referendum" whilst doing all they can to undermine it, along with a complicit and vain speaker. The public`s fury over this duplicity will not be forgotton easily.

I think "the public's fury" is a little overstated. Yes there are some Brexit obsessives that are furious, but I suspect the majority of Leave voters couldn't really care less. They are more interested in Love Island and X Factor.
  • Options
    Jeremy Corbyn: has he just recovered from some illness or is he botoxed up to the gills? He suddenly looks ten years younger, or at least two years back to 2017.
  • Options
    eek said:

Andy_JS said:

However, it could be exactly what Corbyn needs to win votes - remember for a lot of people Brexit was a f*** you vote and you've just said a vote for Corbyn is the same...
    Both are f*** the country votes.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

However, it could be exactly what Corbyn needs to win votes - remember for a lot of people Brexit was a f*** you vote and you've just said a vote for Corbyn is the same...
    This.
  • Options

Foxy said:

stjohn said:

Go Amy!

I had him covered too. Amy has some staying power, and this is a marathon rather than a sprint. I liked her launching her campaign outdoors in a snowstorm. Just the right spirit for February in Iowa.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2019/02/11/best-visuals-any-presidential-announcement/
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Brexit was a fuck the establishment vote not the country. Leavers think that leaving the EU will be to the country`s betterment.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,901
    Foxy said:

Foxy said:

Hes currently projected to win a majority, it is working what are you on about?
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Really interesting observation from Flanner below. I was going to post something similar about Ashworth but decided against.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes because the have not's aren't doing that well so see little point with the country carrying on as it was.

And their scream from 3 years ago hasn't solved any of their issues (although being honest nothing anyone could actually do would resolve their issues)..

As I assume you haven't read the article can I refer you to https://unherd.com/2019/11/stoke-the-city-that-britain-forgot/ which I linked to here 3 weeks back
  • Options

timmo said:

Here's some news that may distress you. All orange juice is full of sugar.
    My short-lived health kick included orange juice for breakfast until I noticed it contained more sugar than Coke. It is also stickier so I suspect worse for teeth.
  • Options
    Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Brexit was a fuck the establishment vote not the country. Leavers think that leaving the EU will be to the country`s betterment.
    Because Leavers have ben lied to.
  • Options

Foxy said:

Foxy said:

I certainly think that is true, the support from men bit. It isn't just a Labour thing though, it appeals to the self employed and those who have to get things done.
  • Options

Jeremy Corbyn: has he just recovered from some illness or is he botoxed up to the gills? He suddenly looks ten years younger, or at least two years back to 2017.

I think he really enjoys campaigning..
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    I think SLab are seeing a resurgence. They are going to poll 20%+ and that could well dent the SNP just like in 2017.

I am inspecting constituency bets.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

Corbyn really needs to ask himself why he comes across so badly between elections. It's not the media, he gets plenty of bad press during an election.
  • Options

Stocky said:

argyllrs said:

I think "the public's fury" is a little overstated. Yes there are some Brexit obsessives that are furious, but I suspect the majority of Leave voters couldn't really care less. They are more interested in Love Island and X Factor.
    Whereas your more of s Strictly man ?
  • Options
    edited December 2019

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

Con 310
    Lab 251
    SNP 45
    Lib Dems 20
    DUP 8
    Sinn Fein 6
    Plaid Cymru 4
    Alliance 2
    SDLP 2
    Green 1
    Speaker 1

Look closer. The ruthless Stalinist purging internal dissent, suspending democracy, breaking the law, running an election campaign based on lies and evasion? Boris personifies all the horror stories we were fed about Corbyn. Too thick to understand his own policies? Well, everyone else thinks Boris has put a border down the Irish Sea.

And what is Boris's reaction to parliamentary scrutiny? To being overruled by the Courts? Reflection, repentance? No, he wants to restrict the powers of both. Everything we were warned about Corbyn, is coming true with Boris.
    Yes, it is quite reassuring that Brownite Labour types like Ashworth are still at home in the shadow cabinet.

For all the talk of Stalinism in Labour, it is the Tories who have had the purges, deselections and cult of personality
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/dec/11/tories-open-second-investigation-sally-ann-hart-hastings-candidate

Anti semitism and Islamophobia both, she must have been busy. Probably derogatory about travellers next.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Andy_JS said:

Agreed. Its self indulgence of the worst kind.

Its worth considering how Boris would have done against Blair though. I think he would have been annihilated.
    Agree with your second sentence. Any half decent Labour leader would annihilated Johnson, Blair would have taken him to the cleaners. Brexit is the ultimate "self-indulgence" though. Tories that support it can reflect on the fact that they removed the best USP that they ever had; the party of business and the economy. The stupidity and economic illiteracy of Brexit has destroyed that. It will be very difficult for them to recover it.
  • Options
    Neither Johnson nor Corbyn are fit to be PM. The Tory campaign (and PB Tories here) rightly point to the many disgusting failings of Corbyn and say "DON'T VOTE FOR HIM". And they are right. Corbyn and those close to him are an utter disgrace.

Then you reverse the perspective. Look at the many disgusting failings of Johnson. Look to a future where being openly lied to is normal, where 1984 style truth become lies and lies become truth. Johnson lying perhaps even to himself about the nature of his "miraculous" deal and what it means for NI. Lying about hospitals. About nurses. About racism in his own party. Johnson and those close to him are an utter disgrace.

So with respect to some of the shrieking last night from biased people insisting their man is pure as the driven snow look at the failing of the bad guy could I refer you to Matthew 7:5? The notion that EITHER of the front benches should be in office is disgusting. The real mood on the streets is one of resigned revulsion not enthusiasm.

The best result - like with the EU - is the current result. A massively hung parliament. Labour cannot win any more than a couple of seats from the Tories at best. Their great hope is not to lose seats like Sunderland to the Tories. SO blue pants being shat were trollied in waste - Corbyn won't be PM and nor should he be. At the same time Johnson should not be PM either. If he has to remain so we need to mathematically bind his hands. No majority. No coalition partners. No succour. So if people who can't vote for Corbyn find themselves putting a cross in a Labour box to stop Johnson so what? It isn't a vote to put Jezbollah into office because that cannot happen.
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Corbyn really needs to ask himself why he comes across so badly between elections. It's not the media, he gets plenty of bad press during an election.
    Because he's an utterly shit MP and Leader of the Opposition?

Great campaigner though. When he doesn't seem like he's just had a stroke.
  • Options
    eek said:

It's a simple task with a clear opponent and most of his internal squabbles go away for that period, of course he loves it.
  • Options
    eek said:

Yes, campaigning is the bit of politics that he most enjoys, and indeed advocacy for constituents down on their luck. It is the stuff in Parliament that he finds less interesting, the opposite to most MPs.
  • Options

Charles said:

We should be told!

I’ve just had enough.

I wouldn’t expect it to open before Christmas 2021.
    Crossrail is a project of national importance and like 90% of the country I don't even understand exactly what it is meant to do except make travelling around London easier. What is the problem ? I ask because by God we need to know for HS2, HS 3/4 and the whole Northern Powerhouse. Do you think the equivalent of your concerns are even being considered re the reassessment of HS2 ?
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    edited December 2019
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

Anti semitism and Islamophobia both, she must have been busy. Probably derogatory about travellers next.
    That's the Conservative manifesto you are thinking about.
  • Options
    eek said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Yes because the have not's aren't doing that well so see little point with the country carrying on as it was.

And their scream from 3 years ago hasn't solved any of their issues (although being honest nothing anyone could actually do would resolve their issues)..

As I assume you haven't read the article can I refer you to https://unherd.com/2019/11/stoke-the-city-that-britain-forgot/ which I linked to here 3 weeks back
    the issues wont get solved overnight and nor will all of them get addressed

what the vote did was stop the direction of travel and force the politicos to reassess what was on their agenda
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

Charles said:

ydoethur said:

If that isn’t a spoof it’s genuinely frightening.
    It’s a silly question and deserves a silly answer
    Yes, if only Johnson had had the opportunity to answer some serious questions from someone serious like Andrew Neil...
    Or Andrew Marr or Nick Robinson perhaps?
  • Options

Stocky said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

Because Leavers have ben lied to.
    all the voters were lied to

people are quite used to picking through the lies by now
  • Options

Stocky said:

argyllrs said:

Whereas your more of s Strictly man ?
    At risk of causing faux outrage, I have to say that I don't do populist TV or politics as I find the former cringe inducing and the latter repulsive.
  • Options
    llefllef Posts: 298
    On the betting front, betfred have an offer running:
    bet 10 pound on gen election, get a 5 pound free bet after it settles, plus an extra 5 free bet if turnout exceeds 65%
    (read teh terms obv...)

https://www.betfred.com/promotions/sports/bet-10-get-up-to-10-general-election
  • Options
    edited December 2019

eek said:

Nigelb said:

eek said:

Andy_JS said:

the issues wont get solved overnight and nor will all of them get addressed

what the vote did was stop the direction of travel and force the politicos to reassess what was on their agenda
    Was it and did it? The direction of travel was the UK on the outskirts of the EU whilst retaining a say versus trying to get outside the EU with a grade A mess.

Granted it wasn't sold like that but that was the reality even before the referendum.

And it's been 3 years which means there has been enough time for these things to be resolved.

Cummings was also hoping that his campaign of Get Brexit done would win the Tories a lot votes from people that don't usually vote (and so don't show up on in polls). What happens if they have successfully get those people out voting and they go for the f*** the establishment Corbyn option.

As I've said for a while I've not bet on this election as it could be a Tory majority of 100 or a Hung Parliament and nothing the polls say changes that view.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

eek said:

Yes, campaigning is the bit of politics that he most enjoys, and indeed advocacy for constituents down on their luck. It is the stuff in Parliament that he finds less interesting, the opposite to most MPs.
    You make him sound almost appealing, and then one has to remember anti-Semitism, terrorist sympathy and neo-Marxist Venezuelan economics.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,324
    edited December 2019

Given how far behind and over budget Crossrail is, you're surely just the person for HS2.
This discussion has been closed.