Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tories drop five seats on the spreads following the Andrew Nei

Comments

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

HYUFD said:

kinabalu said:

Can this vacuous poshboy really be about to win a general election? Smazing.

Yes, probably with the biggest Tory majority since Thatcher
    Does not make your support of him any less of a disgrace.
    They have their donkey with a blue rosette it was always going to beat corbyn, I doubt if a single one of the Tory leadership contenders could have lost against corbyn. Labour will have plenty of time to reflect on what they have done, will they reach the right conclusion? I doubt it.
  • Options
    I never thought I would say this but I am almost sorry for Corbyn, he is way out of his depth
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Corbyn gets the applause. Boris gets the laughs.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,079
    “It does not take 2 years to say NO to NHS privatization” good line from Corbyn.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,962

“It does not take 2 years to say NO to NHS privatization” good line from Corbyn.

Prob cause they were talking about other things too?
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    So far Boris coming across better. Not a slam dunk either way but Corbyn sounds like he's reading prepared talking points, Johnson seeming a bit more authoritative, and using his humour in a good way.
  • Options

I never thought I would say this but I am almost sorry for Corbyn, he is way out of his depth

You are out of your depth trying anymore than your usual crappy 'Corbyn's a terrorist' one liner
  • Options
    RobD said:

Oh are you interested in facts now?
  • Options

RobD said:

Oh are you interested in facts now?
    Only when it is convenient.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 116,989
    Boris says John McDonnell wants to destroy capitalism, he will support businesses.

Corbyn goes on inequality
  • Options

You are out of your depth trying anymore than your usual crappy 'Corbyn's a terrorist' one liner
    Oi, show some respect.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Corbyn so much more sincere and thoughtful than Johnson. Such a contrast.
  • Options

I have never said Corbyn is a terrorist - but he is losing tonight
  • Options
    paulyork64paulyork64 Posts: 2,461
    halfway through. learnt nothing.
  • Options
    kinabalu said:

Corbyn just said his manifesto is "fully costed". And you allege he is sincere?!? lol
  • Options
    humbugger said:

Oi, show some respect.
    Respect? I am sorry for having a different opinion to you and your mate.
  • Options

So far Boris coming across better. Not a slam dunk either way but Corbyn sounds like he's reading prepared talking points, Johnson seeming a bit more authoritative, and using his humour in a good way.

I disagree. It's like an adult and a child.
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,979

I'm not watching this debate.

Should I bother?

I wouldn’t bother! Gonna turn it off shortly!
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,725
    Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

Corbyn just said his manifesto is "fully costed". And you allege he is sincere?!? lol
    He is much better at appearing sincere.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

MattW said:

franklyn said:

I don't support the Labour party and wouldn't vote for them, but there is one policy which they may be correct on, their suggestion that public schools should be abolished. When you reflect on the fact that after six years at Eton, Boris cannot coherently string a sentence together, and can't speak for more than 10 seconds without telling a fib, you do wonder what damage that sort of school is doing to kids. After an expensive education the poor chap is virtually unemployable, except as a politician, where lies and deceit are regarded as virtues.

There is no such policy in the Labour Manifesto. They ran away from the commitment - sensible decision.

Such a decision would cost multiple billions net per year, and would remove much diversity from the education system - one of my own nieces had to be moved to an independent school as the state system could not prevent bullying or supply necessary support.

That's leaving aside the approx billion a year spent on bursaries etc.

They know that a more diverse system is better - much of Corbyn's circle sent their children there.
    Exactly and it would close some of the best schools in the world just as we are rising up the education rankings

https://twitter.com/bbceducation/status/1201773474894745600?s=20
    You have always failed to understand the issues around private schools, if those who have the real influence and ability to make change happen in the state system are able to escape it through financial ability then the state system will never improve.
  • Options
    Corbyn keeps referring to history, Labour Building NHS, Tories were against it postwar etc. Could be a way of pushing on the dead ancestors rolling in their graves idea, give the lab tory switchers last minute guilt
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,738
    HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Top point by Boris on Corbyn's support for a united Ireland.

Boris has done more for a United Ireland in one year than Corbyn in his lifetime
    No he has protected the Good Friday Agreement and avoided a hard border in Ireland while keeping Northern Ireland in the UK and out of the EU
    By creating the foundation for differential NI/GB rules and selling the DUP down the river it will become more credible NB for trading purposes to treat NI as a subdivision of an United Ireland instead of an integral part of the UK. Following changes in RoI electoral rules, Irish passport holders in NI will be able to vote in Dail elections. Given the increasing unification of Ireland for trading and electoral purposes, it becomes more difficult to sustain your point.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

Should I bother?

Not really though Corbyn is smashing Johnson which is good to see
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    kinabalu said:

He just said his manifesto is fully costed. It is a lie. And that's before the subsequently announced spending programmes.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,892
    Charles said:

Corbyn just said they will “end student fees”

Is this new?

I assumed that he was referring purely to nurses.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

He's better at appearing pious. And getting easy applause with virtuous piffle.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,271
    Barnesian said:

Should I bother?

He does at least have an agenda for the country, although I agree with others that he seems tired. I doubt he wants the job. Bozo on the other hand wants the job but has nothing to offer the country.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,738

Should I bother?

No point. It's hardly the cut and thrust of incisive wit, now is it?
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Should I bother?

He does at least have an agenda for the country, although I agree with others that he seems tired. I doubt he wants the job. Bozo on the other hand wants the job but has nothing to offer the country.
    Bozza is offering Brexit and "not Corbyn". I think that's probably enough.
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Barnesian said:

Should I bother?

I think I understand your model better now.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

It makes him good at appealing to a crowd.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,859
    Whats all this terrible start for Corbyn crap.

He is doing fine in first 10 mins
  • Options
    Boris did well on the NHS but Corbyn has been much better since talking about the economy, he gets more alive when talking about inequality,
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,271
    MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Should I bother?

Enough to get elected, perhaps, but otherwise nowhere near enough.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    Corbyn's complete ignorance of economics is startling.
  • Options
    For the love of Thor, stop clapping you muppets!
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Byronic said:

Corbyn's heart is not in this, he is lacklustre.

He looks beaten

There are two seriously pessimistic articles on the Guardian website right now, from Corbyn cheerleaders who normally big him up
    More than that.

"Corbyn still plays the crowds - but spirit of 2017 elusive"
    "'Get Brexit Done': PM's strategy resonates with marginal voters"
    "Poll tracker: Tories maintain lead over Labour"
    "There's a faultline running through Labour. Can it ever be healed?"
    "The difficult truth for Liberals: Labour must win back social conservatives"
    "Labour has a strong economic plan. But it still has to shift voters’ faith in austerity"
    and, from Monday, "Labour’s ‘red wall’ is looking shaky. But the problems started decades ago"

It's mostly doom and gloom. The Stats for Lefties person pops up to claim that Labour might yet be rescued by a "Youthquake," but it does all sound rather like straw clutching. Surely if Labour is going to survive serious damage, and at least get another Hung Parliament at the end of all of this, then it's going to have to rely on the Labour Leavers coming home? Very young voters ought to help in the university seats but they're not going to be much use in manning the Red Wall.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    Corbyn offering nothing to win over Conservative voters. Nothing.

I just don't see how he comes close to bridging the gap as a result.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

MattW said:

franklyn said:

I don't support the Labour party and wouldn't vote for them, but there is one policy which they may be correct on, their suggestion that public schools should be abolished. When you reflect on the fact that after six years at Eton, Boris cannot coherently string a sentence together, and can't speak for more than 10 seconds without telling a fib, you do wonder what damage that sort of school is doing to kids. After an expensive education the poor chap is virtually unemployable, except as a politician, where lies and deceit are regarded as virtues.

There is no such policy in the Labour Manifesto. They ran away from the commitment - sensible decision.

Such a decision would cost multiple billions net per year, and would remove much diversity from the education system - one of my own nieces had to be moved to an independent school as the state system could not prevent bullying or supply necessary support.

They know that a more diverse system is better - much of Corbyn's circle sent their children there.
    Exactly and it would close some of the best schools in the world just as we are rising up the education rankings

You have always failed to understand the issues around private schools, if those who have the real influence and ability to make change happen in the state system are able to escape it through financial ability then the state system will never improve.
    Another time when I’m not fighting a cat for control of the keyboard I might tell you about the state schools of Ulaanbaator.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

Winning over the audience won't help win the election though.
  • Options
    Clever of Boris to say Corbyn will raise taxes on those earning over £20 000 a year
  • Options
    Johnson is looking better than usual though. Bit of weight loss. Hair OK.

If you mute the volume he's doing quite well.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

Yes I'd concede that
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    I lol'd at Corbyn on Brexit. What utter nonsense.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Clever of Boris to say Corbyn will raise taxes on those earning over £20 000 a year

Which is another lie.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

HYUFD said:

MattW said:

franklyn said:

Except the facts show it is given we are rising up the PISA rankings even if it does not match your ideology
  • Options

Whats all this terrible start for Corbyn crap.

He is doing fine in first 10 mins

you can back him at 11/10 now to win the snap YouGov poll (ladbrokes).
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Should I bother?

Ultimately that's what Boris wants. I don't think he gives a fuck about anything after that. Hopefully the party fucks him when it becomes clear just how much of an empty suit he is.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 1,614
    HYUFD said:

And incredibly Corbyn didn't contradict what he said. I can see tomorrow's headlines already. Huge mistake from Corbyn.
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    HYUFD said:

Corbyn is not denying it, that's the problem.
    "Our Manifesto is fully costed" is not a good reply.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,114
    Corbyn just sticking random words together on early release of prisoners. There is nothing there.
  • Options
    Jason said:

HYUFD said:

And incredibly Corbyn didn't contradict what he said. I can see tomorrow's headlines already. Huge mistake from Corbyn.
    Yeah because Corbyn is useless.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Which is another lie.
    He will have to.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

Austerity is the inevitable consequence of an ageing population. What we need to do is to make sure the burden is shared equitably, and to encourage people to retire ever later.

My view is we take a radical step. Shift the whole education/work life cycle by at least 2 years. So kids do not start formal school until they are 7. They take their GCSEs at 18, A levels at 20 and then go to university, graduating at 23. This means they enter the job market later. One advantage of this is that they are not trying to take important exams when they are in the middle of massive physiological and psychological changes of their middle teens. It also eases the job market so that there is more space for older people to work later at the other end.
    That's a really interesting idea and I think we should be considering a wider range of ideas, beyond the tired range of arguments over public vs private sector and tax/spending rates.

My only worry is that it would push back the age at which people would be established and ready to start a family. Arguably the average age of first child is later than biologically ideal. Although pushing that age back further is one way to reduce the population without reducing the number of children people have.
    True but that appears to be ever more the norm anyway these days with women choosing to start families later on once they have established a career. I don't see this as a bad thing given the increasing life span. My first child was born when I was 35 and my second when I was 42. My wife is two years my junior.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

No, I expect not. Corbyn has talents as a campaigner and even as a leader - not that it makes him a good leader given he always starts out so far behind, but he couldn't inspire devotion like he does without some talent - but short of major movement right away, it's hard to see how he can 'win', and that's a win by getting a hung parliament not actually winning.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

Which is another lie.
    Why?
  • Options
    viewcode said:

HYUFD said:

IanB2 said:

Top point by Boris on Corbyn's support for a united Ireland.

Boris has done more for a United Ireland in one year than Corbyn in his lifetime
    No he has protected the Good Friday Agreement and avoided a hard border in Ireland while keeping Northern Ireland in the UK and out of the EU
    By creating the foundation for differential NI/GB rules and selling the DUP down the river it will become more credible NB for trading purposes to treat NI as a subdivision of an United Ireland instead of an integral part of the UK. Following changes in RoI electoral rules, Irish passport holders in NI will be able to vote in Dail elections. Given the increasing unification of Ireland for trading and electoral purposes, it becomes more difficult to sustain your point.
    No, the biggest boost to Irish unity would have been No Deal and a hard border with the Republic of Ireland which all Northern Ireland polls show would have led a majority of Northern Irish voters to vote for Irish unity.

Boris has avoided that and given Northern Ireland still the best of both worlds, in the UK but an open border with the Republic of Ireland
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    BJ talking specifics, JC generalities.
  • Options
    humbugger said:

HYUFD said:

Which is another lie.
    Why?
    He can’t help it.
  • Options
    HenriettaHenrietta Posts: 136
    edited December 2019
    I haven't got TV and don't want to watch this anyway, so I'm following the comments here and at the BBC website. It seems to have been utterly boring so far. Has either of them done anything striking visually yet that pictures or clips of will get widely circulated?
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201

Jason said:

HYUFD said:

Yeah because Corbyn is useless.
    The dawn is rising in Newcastle.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    IanB2 said:

MaxPB said:

IanB2 said:

Barnesian said:

Should I bother?

Ian, we will never hear of brexit ever again when it’s done on 31/1 the EU are so desperate they will say everything remains the same you just don’t have to pay any money any more but still enjoy all the benefits. The money will start flowing into the deprived areas and those awful immigrants will be on notice to leave. Boris says so so it must be true but even if he’s lying he is a likable toff
  • Options
    Henrietta said:

I haven't got TV and don't want to watch this anyway, so I'm following the comments here and at the BBC website. It seems to have been utterly boring so far. Has either of them done anything striking visually yet that pictures or clips of will get widely circulated?

Visually striking? Expecting Corbyn to do a handstand?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

"I wasn't the best because I won elections quickly. I was the best because the crowd loved me. Win the crowd and you will win your freedom!"
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    Jason said:

Corbyn's complete ignorance of economics is startling.

And this, courtesy of those right-wing fanatics at the Graun:

Factcheck

Claim: Jeremy Corbyn says his party will invest £40bn in the NHS.

Reality: Labour party literature consistently says that £26bn will be committed to the NHS. This figure appears to be new. It is unclear if increasing health spending by Labour’s previous figure of £26bn will be enough to deliver all the improvements Labour is seeking.

So that's another £14bn of spending conjured out of thin air. Still, next to the WASPI bribe (let alone the state investment bank) that's small change, I suppose.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,191
    speedy2 said:

HYUFD said:

Corbyn is not denying it, that's the problem.
    "Our Manifesto is fully costed" is not a good reply.
    Especially since it’s patently not true.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

No, I expect not. Corbyn has talents as a campaigner and even as a leader - not that it makes him a good leader given he always starts out so far behind, but he couldn't inspire devotion like he does without some talent - but short of major movement right away, it's hard to see how he can 'win', and that's a win by getting a hung parliament not actually winning.
    He has a major movement because all of these assorted lefties, are projecting their hopes and dreams on him despite clearly not being up to the job.
  • Options
    Jason said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, 'Corbyn now sees someone earning £20 000 a year as rich and ripe for taxing more'
  • Options
    speedy2speedy2 Posts: 981
    Henrietta said:

It's the best debate of this election so far, but still not as entertaining as a Republican presidential debate.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Henrietta said:

I hope I am reasonably neutral. I thought Corbyn did better than Boris in the last debate, for instance

This time Boris looks smarter, sharper, there's less bumbling. He has details, yet seems generous. (He is still lying tho)

Corbyn looks waffly, old, a bit knackered, and is helpless on Brexit, but also virtuous.

Corbyn DOES seem more sincere than Boris (not hard). Boris seems more prime ministerial

It's not a game changer. It is quite entertaining,
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

He has a major movement because all of these assorted lefties, are projecting their hopes and dreams on him despite clearly not being up to the fact.
    He is a major movement, surely?

As in, bowel movement...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Jason said:

HYUFD said:

Yes, 'Corbyn now sees someone earning £20 000 a year as rich and ripe for taxing more'
    Corbyn and McDonnell see everyone as ripe for taxing more.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,989

Barnesian said:

Should I bother?

My comment is irrelevant to my model which is politically neutral.
    My comment was prompted by the OTT comments about Johnson smashing Corbyn.
    Objectively I think Corbyn has the edge in a thoughtful less bouncy way than Johnson.
    I think Robinson is doing very well.
  • Options
    HenriettaHenrietta Posts: 136
    edited December 2019

He doesn't have to win any Tory voters. If he keeps the voters Labour had in 2017 minus those who have died plus the 60%+ he's polling among 18-19 year olds, he'll be in Number Ten next Friday.
  • Options
    Boris is crashing an burning with every jumbled sentence!
  • Options
    humbugger said:

HYUFD said:

Jason said:

HYUFD said:

Except themselves, Len McCluskey and Ian Lavery.
  • Options
    Henrietta said:

He doesn't have to win any Tory voters. If he keeps Labour's 40.0% voteshare from 2017 minus those who have died plus the 60%+ he's polling among 18-19 year olds, he'll be in Number Ten next Friday.
    Erm, any evidence he is on course to keep the 40% he got in 2017?
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106

I admire your loyalty Rose.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Henrietta said:

Visually striking? Expecting Corbyn to do a handstand?
    Jez may have mooned the crowd? 🤮
  • Options
    speedy2 said:

Henrietta said:

It's the best debate of this election so far, but still not as entertaining as a Republican presidential debate.
    it's a slightly less shit version of Question Time. but you can at least bet on it.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Byronic said:

kinabalu said:

He has a major movement because all of these assorted lefties, are projecting their hopes and dreams on him despite clearly not being up to the fact.
    That is no doubt true, but not everyone is able to fill that kind of roll. It may well be an accidental talent he has tapped into, his thirty years of political impotence would suggest that, but while I think he is far from competent, and a lot more cynically political than his supporters suggest, I think it misses something to deny he has something about him, even if for many that seems inexplicable.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

humbugger said:

HYUFD said:

Jason said:

HYUFD said:

Except themselves, Len McCluskey and Ian Lavery.
    Yeah you're right, sorry.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

You would think that if he quoted the economic wisdom of an Adam Smith, the governmental prowess of a Richelieu in the accents of a Shakespeare.

Just as you will support Corbyn even if he endorses the Massacre of the Innocents.

That said, you may well be right about Johnson.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Should I bother?

Objectively I think Corbyn has the edge in a thoughtful less bouncy way than Johnson.
    There is one of these instant polls after this debate so humble pie will be eaten pretty quickly.
  • Options

That seems highly improbable. If either were as bad as people say they'd be in a position to be up on that stage - Boris's style is generally frenetic, but jumbled sentences clearly haven't harmed his career.
  • Options
    Reading the comments, it seems there is something for everyone.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,923
    I'm behind but Johnson is bullying Corbyn off the stage
  • Options
    GideonWiseGideonWise Posts: 1,123
    Barnesian said:

Barnesian said:

Should I bother?

Of course. Cheeky comment from me and I see now you were trolling, fair play you got me there. Agree Robinson is doing a great job in getting an actual debate going.
  • Options
    Audience laughing at Boris.
  • Options
    Did someone just put 20,000 volts through Corbyn then? Or did someone put his batteries back in?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    This debate is better than the previous ones, more sharply focussed and fewer pointless interventions by the moderator.
  • Options

They weren't. Boris was being mildly humourous. They laughed with him
  • Options
    Byronic said:

They weren't. Boris was being mildly humourous. They laughed with him
    No they weren't. Are you drunk?
  • Options

Did someone just put 20,000 volts through Corbyn then? Or did someone put his batteries back in?

Please! It’s volts across not through.
  • Options

he did almost lose his cool and snapped at Boris. but then he realised and reigned it back in.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Corbyn got laughed at by the audience and then got tetchy. Brilliant!
  • Options
    No real gotcha moments so far. Something for both sides to cling on to.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,960
    Pretty clear to me that Swinson is the only winner here...

(Ducks)
  • Options

Please! It’s volts across not through.
    I bow to your expertise, as ever.
This discussion has been closed.