Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Tories drop five seats on the spreads following the Andrew Nei

Comments

• Options
    In 2017, the mood music was all "Oh, Jeremy Corbyn".

This time, its northern and midland accents saying "I've never voted Tory before, but I'm voting for Boris" for either Brexit or hating Corbyn reasons.

Major underlying shift.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited December 2019
    Stocky said:

NOM in to 3.75

From 3.76?
    And a market with basically such small liquidity, £100 will change it.
  • Options
    alb1onalb1on Posts: 698
    Stocky said:

My own theory, for what little it's worth, is that there aren't really many floating voters in this campaign compared to others because the issues at stake are so divisive.

I'm really struggling to imagine the sort of voter who is till weighing up whether to vote Tory, labour or Liberal. There will be some, of course, but i expect many fewer than is typical.

Differential turnout, scale of tactical voting or the polls being systematically wrong might lead to a surprise result, but most people's voting intentions have been frozen in aspic for several weeks.

I`ve railed against bloody floating voters for years. But I should fess up and say that I am seriously considering abandoning the LibDems next week in favour of the Greens. I cannot align myself with some of Swinson`s comments, such as those around transgender issues and her refusals to defend LibDem`s role in the coalition government.
    I guess it depends on which seat you are in. Understandable in a seat where the LDs have no hope. Equivalent to voting Conservative if they are in with a chance (assuming it is not one of those rare LD/Lab seats).
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,718
    Banterman said:

This time, its northern and midland accents saying "I've never voted Tory before, but I'm voting for Boris" for either Brexit or hating Corbyn reasons.

Major underlying shift.

Yes - I think this sums up this GE nicely.

Marquee_Mark has been saying this all along.
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,860

Mr. Owls, 'drifting like a barge' = 'drifting by the smallest measurable margin'?

Not saying we shouldn't pay attention to even small changes, but calling mice mountains is a bit inaccurate.

I think that was my point.

Its been at 1.4 ish all week but some posters insist on reporting every tiny move.

I had my sarcasm button depressed.
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    edited December 2019

My own theory, for what little it's worth, is that there aren't really many floating voters in this campaign compared to others because the issues at stake are so divisive.

I'm really struggling to imagine the sort of voter who is till weighing up whether to vote Tory, labour or Liberal. There will be some, of course, but i expect many fewer than is typical.

Differential turnout, scale of tactical voting or the polls being systematically wrong might lead to a surprise result, but most people's voting intentions have been frozen in aspic for several weeks.

I'm not sure I believe that. Anecdotally for instance my mother, Ex-public sector manager centrist Labour-leaner, has atypically yet to complete her postal vote. I sense she isn't unusual this election.

I think there's a lot of people who aren't enamoured with the choice in front of them who will eventually plump for what they view is the least worst option, or just not bother.
  • Options

Mr. Owls, 'drifting like a barge' = 'drifting by the smallest measurable margin'?

Not saying we shouldn't pay attention to even small changes, but calling mice mountains is a bit inaccurate.

I think that was my point.

Its been at 1.4 ish all week but some posters insist on reporting every tiny move.

I had my sarcasm button depressed.
    The big movement was the injection of £100k of liquidity into the market. That was significant and worth reporting.
  • Options
    alb1on said:

Stocky said:

I`ve railed against bloody floating voters for years. But I should fess up and say that I am seriously considering abandoning the LibDems next week in favour of the Greens. I cannot align myself with some of Swinson`s comments, such as those around transgender issues and her refusals to defend LibDem`s role in the coalition government.
    I guess it depends on which seat you are in. Understandable in a seat where the LDs have no hope. Equivalent to voting Conservative if they are in with a chance (assuming it is not one of those rare LD/Lab seats).
    I don`t go in for tactical voting - and in any case my constituency votes Tory by a mile anyway.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,926

Not sure if this has been given the airtime it deserves yet...

"General election 2019: Tory candidate in disability pay row"

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2019-50684582

Not smart to say, particularly in Hastings !
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Bother in Barnsley?

twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1203011112205246464

Labour are in depth-doo if those two seats are in play. Even with 11% lead, MRP has those still has easy holds for Labour. I don't believe it.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,744
    edited December 2019
    Feels like the kind of situation where they will be totally fine, albeit reduced majority, but because they are not used to that level of challenge they are panicking a bit. Probably what is happening in a few of the Tory seats like Raabs. And Farage always gets over excited.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Below is the full email, sent by Farage to BXP supporters this afternoon:

"In the last week of the General Election campaign, we are focusing our efforts on seats where we have the best chance of getting Brexit Party MPs elected. That’s why I’m going to South Yorkshire on Monday for a big action day.

Join me on Monday, and let’s get our two Barnsley candidates over the line!

CLICK HERE TO SIGN UP

In both Barnsley Central and Barnsley East, it’s a two-horse race between The Brexit Party and Corbyn’s Remainer Labour. Both are Leave-voting Labour seats, where many people feel betrayed by Labour — the party of a second referendum and Remain.

Yet the Conservatives have NEVER won in Barnsley. Only The Brexit Party can beat Corbyn’s Remainer Labour there. That message is winning a lot of support for our candidates — Victoria Felton in Barnsley Central and Jim Ferguson in Barnsley East.

Join me in South Yorkshire on Monday. With your help, we can win! "

• Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    Six polls so far this week (ie fieldwork ending 2 Dec) onwards - average lead 9.8% - almost identical to last week's ELBOW.
  • Options
    melcfmelcf Posts: 166
    stodge said:

melcf said:

I keep hearing this ' Corbyn is a terrorist sympathiser'.
    Well, if one was a real terrorist, how would they try and harm the United Kingdom?
    Let me think
    - Causing misery and economic hardships for the many, not the few?
    - Make tens of thousands homeless, specially single mums and children
    - cause rising death rate amongst the elderly, due to cuts in social and health care
    - Cause internal divisions and a near civil war among the general population, by divisive games, such as Brexit
    - Cause a slump in the economy and with the falling pound, rising prises
    - lastly, try and bring our centuries old United Kingdom union under threat
    --- Sorry, Mr Terrorist, no vacancy for the above. Thus job has been filed, for the last 9.5 years, with excellent references. Come back in 2024

There is a valid question which is why nearly fifteen years after the 7/7/attacks, we are still seeing home-grown radicalised Islamists spreading terror in London?

Successive Governments have implemented layer upon layer of a security state with surveillance aplenty and yet we have completely failed to eradicate the root cause of the problem in any meaningful sense for all the death in Syria, Iraq and elsewhere.

I imagine Johnson and Patel will witter on about longer sentences, tougher this and harsher that but ultimately we seem no nearer ending the scourge of such terror.
    The solution is more austerity and oven ready Brexit??
  • Options
    stodgestodge Posts: 12,854
    Stocky said:

Banterman said:

Major underlying shift.

The election was decided by the ComRes poll on June 11th which effectively ended the Conservative Party leadership election as a contest.

From that point, Johnson, as the only candidate likely to secure a Conservative majority, was always going to become PM and as one of the main leaders of the LEAVE campaign, would be able to count on all or most of the LEAVE vote.

While numerically superior, the REMAIN vote is divided between Labour and the LDs (and others). Once Johnson had neutralised BXP by his "get Brexit done" slogan, he has, despite everything over the past six months, held the whip hand.

Even extending didn't harm him because it was obvious he was dragged into it by Parliament so he had someone to blame.

A cleverer Opposition would have given him his WA but refused an election and nailed him down through the trade negotiations to a BINO position or force him to resign.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    MikeL said:

Six polls so far this week (ie fieldwork ending 2 Dec) onwards - average lead 9.8% - almost identical to last week's ELBOW.

This is the change in the gap so far this campaign...

• Options

Bother in Barnsley?

Labour are in depth-doo if those two seats are in play. Even with 11% lead, MRP has those still has easy holds for Labour. I don't believe it.
    I sincerely hope they're not going to lose Barnsley Central
    Might have to go and deliver there myself lol
  • Options

Alistair said:

I presume the Tory majority price is being anchored by BMG.

They have the lower bound on the Tory lead. If BMG are right we are in hung parliament territory.

Alternatively, Opinium have got it right and there's going to be a landslide. Or nobody's got it right and Labour are going to win a majority.

Nobody knows for sure, but the range of information available points to a moderate Conservative majority as the most likely outcome. And I remain to be convinced that the Neil faux outrage episode will make the blindest bit of difference.
    Issues like this can impact on turnout. The question is how much.

I think a workable CON majority that's sustainable to May 2024 is the likely outcome
    Would it be in order to quote you on a Conservative leaflet?
  • Options

Jason said:

Stocky said:

andy3664 said:

Maybe nobody will notice, but today has been a terrible day for the Tories.

A grovelling apology by Channel 4 for doctoring a Boris speech and Sturgeon, Starmer, Abbott, Umunna and others having to make desperate attempts to delete their tweets is a bad day for the conservatives
    If it`s a bad day for the Tories it`s escaped my notice.
    It is interesting that nobody is talking about policy anymore. Last few days, it has all been about personality. Labour's train bribe seems to have sunk without trace. The dodgy doctor was hyping it as the biggest moment of the campaign.

I think Labour are really struggling to accept the hurt and damage they've done to some of their most loyal voters over Brexit. I also think they're struggling to accept that millions of people do not believe their notion that a government can borrow and tax the thick end of a trillion quid with out there being wider and profoundly damaging consequences to the economy.

The public have seen through Labour's brass necked bribes for the complete and utter bollocks they are.
    I think Brexit has very little to do with it. It is the Corbyn factor, pure and simple.

If the Tories get a majority when they are as shit as they are it is Corbyn Wot Won It (for the Tories)
    Corbyn was there in 2017, when they got 40% of votes. What has changed since then? Three Tory PMs, more austerity and a buffon with a 350 million bus? We heard the same shyte in 2017 but the Northern wall didn't crack
  • Options
    Stats for Lefties continues to post upbeat articles for Labour, including one in the Guardian today, but in the quiet of his Twitter commentary, some of the frustration comes out:

https://twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1203009398244818944
  • Options
    stodge said:

Stocky said:

Banterman said:

Major underlying shift.

The election was decided by the ComRes poll on June 11th which effectively ended the Conservative Party leadership election as a contest.

From that point, Johnson, as the only candidate likely to secure a Conservative majority, was always going to become PM and as one of the main leaders of the LEAVE campaign, would be able to count on all or most of the LEAVE vote.

While numerically superior, the REMAIN vote is divided between Labour and the LDs (and others). Once Johnson had neutralised BXP by his "get Brexit done" slogan, he has, despite everything over the past six months, held the whip hand.

Even extending didn't harm him because it was obvious he was dragged into it by Parliament so he had someone to blame.

A cleverer Opposition would have given him his WA but refused an election and nailed him down through the trade negotiations to a BINO position or force him to resign.
    Yes - can`t argue with any of that
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Bother in Barnsley?

I sincerely hope they're not going to lose Barnsley Central
    Might have to go and deliver there myself lol
    I think as somebody said up thread it is more likely that for once in their life they aren't getting the 99% UP THE REDs response and going oh shit.
  • Options
    melcf said:

stodge said:

melcf said:

Well, if one was a real terrorist, how would they try and harm the United Kingdom?
    Let me think
    - cause rising death rate amongst the elderly, due to cuts in social and health care
    - Cause internal divisions and a near civil war among the general population, by divisive games, such as Brexit
    --- Sorry, Mr Terrorist, no vacancy for the above. Thus job has been filed, for the last 9.5 years, with excellent references. Come back in 2024

There is a valid question which is why nearly fifteen years after the 7/7/attacks, we are still seeing home-grown radicalised Islamists spreading terror in London?

Successive Governments have implemented layer upon layer of a security state with surveillance aplenty and yet we have completely failed to eradicate the root cause of the problem in any meaningful sense for all the death in Syria, Iraq and elsewhere.

I imagine Johnson and Patel will witter on about longer sentences, tougher this and harsher that but ultimately we seem no nearer ending the scourge of such terror.
    Would you rather have a Brexit that isn`t oven-ready.

Of course, Corbyn has been an EU Leaver all his life.
  • Options
    saddenedsaddened Posts: 2,245

maaarsh said:

Jason said:

This is the third thread out of the previous four about Andrew Neill.

Leave him alone - he's hardly going to post about the Lib Dems so there has to be something to keep spirits up
    The Lib whos?
    The Lib Dem's. You must remember them. They have access to a Polling and election expert and everything.
  • Options
    #GE2019 Nowcast (6th Dec):

CON: 345 (+2), 42.9% (+0.3)
    LAB: 224 (-2), 32.7% (-0.2)
    SNP: 43 (=), 3.9% (=)
    LDM: 14 (=), 13.0% (-0.3)

See the graphics for full results.
    Changes w/ 1st Dec.

Polls from 29 Nov-6 Dec.
    Support me on https://t.co/8SlnLyh9g4 https://t.co/RBprhDOHBg
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    BluerBlue said:

Stats for Lefties continues to post upbeat articles for Labour, including one in the Guardian today, but in the quiet of his Twitter commentary, some of the frustration comes out:

twitter.com/LeftieStats/status/1203009398244818944

In the crazed world of fake news twitter bollocks. I have to say I miss sites like Left Foot Forward. Actually using you know like real data that wasn't so spun it would dry your clothes at the same time to try to make an argument.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Alistair said:

They have the lower bound on the Tory lead. If BMG are right we are in hung parliament territory.

Alternatively, Opinium have got it right and there's going to be a landslide. Or nobody's got it right and Labour are going to win a majority.

Nobody knows for sure, but the range of information available points to a moderate Conservative majority as the most likely outcome. And I remain to be convinced that the Neil faux outrage episode will make the blindest bit of difference.

I think a workable CON majority that's sustainable to May 2024 is the likely outcome
    Sounds more accurate than what the Lib Dems were putting out tbh
  • Options
    With the amount of negative press, Corbyn has been stigmatised like herpes or STI.
    Loads have it, but most never talk about it!? That explains the 40% in 2017?
    What is the tory catch phrase to the Northern working class in 2019
    No bread for 9.5 years, have oven ready Brexit
    Get shafted for another 5 years
  • Options
    Stocky said:

melcf said:

stodge said:

melcf said:

Let me think

Would you rather have a Brexit that isn`t oven-ready.

Of course, Corbyn has been an EU Leaver all his life.
    There is an interview oven ready that Jester is avoiding too
  • Options
    melcf said:

Jason said:

Stocky said:

andy3664 said:

A grovelling apology by Channel 4 for doctoring a Boris speech and Sturgeon, Starmer, Abbott, Umunna and others having to make desperate attempts to delete their tweets is a bad day for the conservatives
    It is interesting that nobody is talking about policy anymore. Last few days, it has all been about personality. Labour's train bribe seems to have sunk without trace. The dodgy doctor was hyping it as the biggest moment of the campaign.

I think Labour are really struggling to accept the hurt and damage they've done to some of their most loyal voters over Brexit. I also think they're struggling to accept that millions of people do not believe their notion that a government can borrow and tax the thick end of a trillion quid with out there being wider and profoundly damaging consequences to the economy.

The public have seen through Labour's brass necked bribes for the complete and utter bollocks they are.
    I think Brexit has very little to do with it. It is the Corbyn factor, pure and simple.

If the Tories get a majority when they are as shit as they are it is Corbyn Wot Won It (for the Tories)
    Corbyn was there in 2017, when they got 40% of votes. What has changed since then? Three Tory PMs, more austerity and a buffon with a 350 million bus? We heard the same shyte in 2017 but the Northern wall didn't crack
    Last time Corbyn got most of the Remainers (undeservedly) and kept a good chunk of the Leavers (deservedly). This time he'll get most of the Remainers (deservedly), and lose most of the Leavers (deservedly). What's left for him is numerically much smaller than in 2017.

That's the difference.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

#GE2019 Nowcast (6th Dec):

CON: 345 (+2), 42.9% (+0.3)
    LAB: 224 (-2), 32.7% (-0.2)
    SNP: 43 (=), 3.9% (=)
    LDM: 14 (=), 13.0% (-0.3)

See the graphics for full results.
    Changes w/ 1st Dec.

Polls from 29 Nov-6 Dec.
    Support me on https://t.co/8SlnLyh9g4 https://t.co/RBprhDOHBg

The second graphic shows the gap between the two parties over the course of the campaign has remained as parallel as a set of train tracks.
  • Options
    Today's revelations from Jez have finished the Tories hopes in Northern Ireland I think
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    melcf said:

With the amount of negative press, Corbyn has been stigmatised like herpes or STI.
    Loads have it, but most never talk about it!? That explains the 40% in 2017?
    What is the tory catch phrase to the Northern working class in 2019
    No bread for 9.5 years, have oven ready Brexit
    Get shafted for another 5 years

🎻
  • Options
    The electoral calculus puts Wrexham, Vale of Clywd and many seats in the North as Labour in the lead by a mile. Suprising poll, recently done at Wrexham, Tories at 44 and Labour at 29. Not what I'm hearing from the ground.
    Dream on, at this time in 2017, Bet fred had an 86% Tory majority!
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Today's revelations from Jez have finished the Tories hopes in Northern Ireland I think

He only wants persons of talent going there?
  • Options
    I have received an e mail today asking Labour Members in Chesterfield to go to Bolsover and NE Derbyshire for the remainder of the Campaign.

As i am not able to walk more than about 10 paces wont be doing either but i think the former is close the latter unwinnable
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,349

Alistair said:

Gold PB award for that one.
  • Options
    novanova Posts: 525
    melcf said:

Jason said:

Stocky said:

andy3664 said:

In 2017, he looked good compared to the utterly awful Tory campaign - but I suspect a lot of people had made up their minds about him because of the media without really seeing much of him.

2017 was his second chance at making a first impression, and he polished himself up, kept his temper in check, and didn't look too bad, so I think people gave him the benefit of the doubt.

The antisemitism issues that have come more to the fore since then, and his prevarication on Brexit have pushed him far into -ve popularity again, but this time it's sticking as most people now have a solid impression of him. Doing ok, and not being a three-headed monster aren't enough this time around.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Hey, that's my line!

Yep, 9.8% for the six polls this week, compared to 9.7% for last week's set of 11 polls.
  • Options
    stodge said:

melcf said:

Let me think

Why do you think that we face such a threat Stodge?

Lets be honest, its not just us is it.

You can't blame it all on the Iraq war considering preceding events and the number of countries attacked who had nothing to do with a "war on terror"

So what do you think underpins these attacks throughout the world?

What do you think is the answer?

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187
    Jason said:

CHB & kinablau = Bonnie & Clyde

And finally together we die?
  • Options

I have received an e mail today asking Labour Members in Chesterfield to go to Bolsover and NE Derbyshire for the remainder of the Campaign.

As i am not able to walk more than about 10 paces wont be doing either but i think the former is close the latter unwinnable

Sorry to hear you are not well.
  • Options
    Any comments on the electoral calculus?
    Seems to be more accurate to me, that You Guv
  • Options
    For those confident Conservatives and despairing Socialists, news that demonstrates that the most extreme outsider can defeat the favourite. In the London Chess Classic Maxime Vachier-Lagrave beat world champion Magnus Carlsen. In the GE this would be the equivalent of the Greens winning a majority!
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    https://twitter.com/anthonyjwells/status/1202975165505769474

My attention has just been drawn to the above.
  • Options
    melcf said:

The electoral calculus puts Wrexham, Vale of Clywd and many seats in the North as Labour in the lead by a mile. Suprising poll, recently done at Wrexham, Tories at 44 and Labour at 29. Not what I'm hearing from the ground.

You planning on being here next Friday? Personally, I doubt it.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    stodge said:

Your hypothesis is wrong. In reality we are very successful at defeating terrorism in the UK, and God knows we have the experience, as the vast majority of terrorist plots never make it beyond the planning stage. Hundreds of arrests are made every year, and many prosecutions take place.

Occassionally an attack occurs, but even those attacks are nowadays very low-tech compared to the terrorism of the past. Shootings are almost non-existant, and bombings rare and the terrorists resort to using low-quality home made explosives.

Is the counter-terrorism system perfect? Obviously not, but it is effective, and on the whole most would-be terrorists are caught before they can act. I think it would be almost impossible to reduce the level of terrorism any further.
  • Options
    MJWMJW Posts: 1,350

Jason said:

Stocky said:

andy3664 said:

This. Although Brexit hasn't helped, Labour's winning coalition contains two types of voter who are much more hesitant about voting for the party this time, pretty much solely due to Corbyn. First there's the metropolitan remainers who think he's crap, pro-Brexit and very possibly antisemitic, but many of whom have inched back into the fold as Labour have come up with some kind of Brexit offer, and they have judged Johnson's sins as worse than Corbyn's - but probably not by enough to make 2017 advances in the south that will offset the second group, traditional working class Labour voters in the Midlands and North. They despise Corbyn for different reasons - because he's the epitome of the north London do-gooder who thinks he understands their lives but doesn't.

There's a fairly simple point. If you voted Brexit because of some unease over immigration and a sense of Britain losing power and pride, why would you cast your vote, even if you'd take a chance on a referendum, for a bloke who is a staunch supporter of the type of immigration (taking in large numbers of the less fortunate) that people like least, and gives every impression he isn't massively keen on Britain having either pride or power?
  • Options
    saddened said:

melcf said:

Hubris dear boy keep it in check otherwise we will have to release the video of Chez Saddened at 10pm on GE day 2017!!
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

melcf said:

Jason said:

Stocky said:

andy3664 said:

Last time Corbyn got most of the Remainers (undeservedly) and kept a good chunk of the Leavers (deservedly). This time he'll get most of the Remainers (deservedly), and lose most of the Leavers (deservedly). What's left for him is numerically much smaller than in 2017.

That's the difference.
    So Brexit is the solution to all, simples? So a single mum in Grimsby, recent homeless with her two kids and shafted by universal credit, all thanks to Tories AND who voted leave, is automatically gonna vote Tories this time. Elementary dear Watson ??
    Or many in Lincoln will vote Tory despite having a mega prik like Karl McCartney as their candidate ? Who has been involved in expenses fiddling and is generally perceived as an arrogant caunt.. if only life was so simple
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850

MikeL said:

This is the change in the gap so far this campaign...

I miss Eds Balls and Miliband.

Never thought I'd write the above. Ever.

Moderate Labour.
  • Options
    melcf said:

Are you in Wrexham then
  • Options
    KentRisingKentRising Posts: 2,850
    kle4 said:

Feels like the kind of situation where they will be totally fine, albeit reduced majority, but because they are not used to that level of challenge they are panicking a bit. Probably what is happening in a few of the Tory seats like Raabs. And Farage always gets over excited.
    Yep, total Brexit Party gains at this election will be zero.
  • Options
    Got distracted on Twitter and found this:
    https://twitter.com/VikiLovesFACS/status/1202212904071811082
  • Options

Got distracted on Twitter and found this:
    https://twitter.com/VikiLovesFACS/status/1202212904071811082

OK. How do I embed a Tweet?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967
  • Options
    RobD said:
    My favourite part of the day!
  • Options
    RobD said:
    Even I'm saying Tory victory likely now. That line is remarkably steady.

• Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited December 2019
    Looks like a pretty static picture pollwise.

The Tories will be happy with that .

If the lead was say 10 points going into Election Day then I’m sure they’d take that , I still think though they might be a bit nervous.

Labour are bound to squeeze a bit more out of the Lib Dems and Greens and the turnout could be very difficult to predict at this stage .

In 2017 Labour found in general an extra 3 points from a bigger turnout in their supporters than expected from the polls.

• Options
    BluerBlue said:

RobD said:
    I even added the current day on there!
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,150
    Coasting.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Why do you think that we face such a threat Stodge?

Lets be honest, its not just us is it.

You can't blame it all on the Iraq war considering preceding events and the number of countries attacked who had nothing to do with a "war on terror"

So what do you think underpins these attacks throughout the world?

What do you think is the answer?

No it's far from being solely a UK problem and I never intimated that was the case.

I didn't reference the Iraq War in isolation but the invasion and subsequent de-stabilisation of Iraq leading to the rise of ISIS or ISIL were factors.

It's a multi-layered problem with many facets and responses. There are groups and individuals trying to counter radicalisation at home but if I had to come up with a simple solution, I'd offer capitalism.

People who are busy making money are usually too busy to make trouble - poverty and resentment are great breeding grounds for extremism.

I also think we need to make a new effort to resolve the Middle East with the Palestinians and others accepting Israel's right to exist backed by Israel supporting (with Saudi oil money) the economic re-generation of the West Bank and Gaza. Israel's best guarantee of survival is or are prosperous stable neighbours.

That's just the start - my point was nearly a generation since 9/11, what progress have we made?
  • Options

saddened said:

melcf said:

Hubris dear boy keep it in check otherwise we will have to release the video of Chez Saddened at 10pm on GE day 2017!!
    The thread immediately following the big bong was one of the most extraordinary in PB history. It ain't gonna happen again, but I'd advise against unbottling the champagne just yet.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Looks like a pretty static picture pollwise.

The Tories will be happy with that .

If the lead was say 10 points going into Election Day then I’m sure they’d take that , I still think though they might be a bit nervous.

Labour are bound to squeeze a bit more out of the Lib Dems and Greens and the turnout could be very difficult to predict at this stage .

In 2017 Labour found in general an extra 3 points from a bigger turnout in their supporters than expected from polls.

It's possible to fall short of a majority with some pretty high leads, so they will be nervous right to the end, but if it is 10 it is pretty hard to not win, even with some major regional variations. I'm expecting it to be closer than that, but only a few % closer than the polls.
  • Options

Any news on when you can have treatment?
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987

The only ones I can think of are your Southern soft Tory remainer types, thinking can we really go for Boris or do we go Lib Dem. That could obviously swing 10 seats in the South.

The big factor in this GE, given how the Tories have set their campaign, is do they break the Red firewall in the Midlands and especially the North. If they don't, all those southern seats are going to make it very iffy for a majority, if they do, things could swing a lot more than UNS to the Tories.
    I think this is spot on.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,987
    melcf said:

stodge said:

melcf said:

Let me think

Austerity is the inevitable consequence of an ageing population. What we need to do is to make sure the burden is shared equitably, and to encourage people to retire ever later.
  • Options
    RobD said:

BluerBlue said:

RobD said:
    Is the Yougov megapoll represented by three of the circles there? If so can you say which ones?

• Options
    ThomasNasheThomasNashe Posts: 4,971

saddened said:

melcf said:

The thread immediately following the big bong was one of the most extraordinary in PB history. It ain't gonna happen again, but I'd advise against unbottling the champagne just yet.
    The last two exit polls have been sensational (and proved to be remarkably correct). Who knows about next Thursday?
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited December 2019
    alb1on said:

For those confident Conservatives and despairing Socialists, news that demonstrates that the most extreme outsider can defeat the favourite. In the London Chess Classic Maxime Vachier-Lagrave beat world champion Magnus Carlsen. In the GE this would be the equivalent of the Greens winning a majority!

MVL is world number 4 and the 7th highest rated chess player of all time. He is in no way an extreme outsider
    Hes been rated world number 2 at his highest
  • Options
    geoffw said:

RobD said:

BluerBlue said:

RobD said:
    Is the Yougov megapoll represented by three of the circles there? If so can you say which ones?

Which mega poll is this? :o
  • Options

andy3664 said:

Will the BJorgs who immediately stated that it was perfectly acceptable terminology while simultaneously being brilliantly targetted at a certain type of voter also be making desperate attempts to delete their posts? Let's hope they don't succeed 'cos it was fckn hilarious.
  • Options
    RobD said:
    1. Campaign period starts, Tory lead around 10%
    2. Tories crush Brexit Party, lead expands
    3. Labour squeezes Lib Dem vote, lead contracts
    4. Tory lead stabilises at 10% again, no further movement

Unless there's a 5. then, whilst party vote shares have changed significantly, the campaign will have made no net difference at all to the Conservative lead.
  • Options
    RobD said:

geoffw said:

RobD said:

BluerBlue said:

RobD said:

the 100,000

• Options
    glw said:

Your hypothesis is wrong. In reality we are very successful at defeating terrorism in the UK, and God knows we have the experience, as the vast majority of terrorist plots never make it beyond the planning stage. Hundreds of arrests are made every year, and many prosecutions take place.

Occassionally an attack occurs, but even those attacks are nowadays very low-tech compared to the terrorism of the past. Shootings are almost non-existant, and bombings rare and the terrorists resort to using low-quality home made explosives.

Is the counter-terrorism system perfect? Obviously not, but it is effective, and on the whole most would-be terrorists are caught before they can act. I think it would be almost impossible to reduce the level of terrorism any further.

I accept a lot of plots and plans are quickly stopped and I'm sure a lot of heroic work is done unrecognised behind the scenes.

My point wasn't about that - we have this counter-terrorism apparatus in place which no doubt costs millions of pounds which could be spent elsewhere.

Are we going to have to live like this for the rest of time? At what point and in what way can we look forward to a time when we no longer need the depth and volume of counter-terrorist infrastructure? Yes, we may be more safe and secure now than ever and I accept the price of that freedom is eternal vigilance but ultimately a solution to radical Islamism will have to be found - whether that's a political, military or economic solution I'm not sure and it will involve a global as much as a regional effort but I see no sense in which anyone is willing to try to find that resolution.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,349
    Would make my day if Bolsover was a Portillo moment.
  • Options

saddened said:

melcf said:

I'm sure I handled the surprise with grace and proportion. But I think I'll not risk checking.
  • Options
    geoffw said:

RobD said:

geoffw said:

RobD said:

BluerBlue said:

RobD said:

the 100,000

Oh, I don’t think that is on here.
  • Options
    RobD said:

geoffw said:

RobD said:

geoffw said:

RobD said:

BluerBlue said:

RobD said:

the 100,000

ok. My only thought was to do with weighting. I don't know whether the MRP stuff included voting intention numbers.

• Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    stodge said:

Are we going to have to live like this for the rest of time? At what point and in what way can we look forward to a time when we no longer need the depth and volume of counter-terrorist infrastructure? Yes, we may be more safe and secure now than ever and I accept the price of that freedom is eternal vigilance but ultimately a solution to radical Islamism will have to be found - whether that's a political, military or economic solution I'm not sure and it will involve a global as much as a regional effort but I see no sense in which anyone is willing to try to find that resolution.

There has been terrorism of one form or another in the UK since at least the 1880s. Even if Islamist terrorism wanes, and I doubt it will as the source is no longer just the Middle East, we can expect other extremists to take up terrorism to try to advance their cause. I would expect real terrorism from the extreme of the environmental movement in the long run.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,187

Will the BJorgs who immediately stated that it was perfectly acceptable terminology while simultaneously being brilliantly targetted at a certain type of voter also be making desperate attempts to delete their posts? Let's hope they don't succeed 'cos it was fckn hilarious.

Yes that was a point I tried and failed to get traction with.

Before the correction there were plenty of "Boris" fans who were defending what they at that point thought he had said. Which was as follows -

"No problem with people of colour coming here so long as it is controlled."

😫
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,759

https://twitter.com/anthonyjwells/status/1202975165505769474

My attention has just been drawn to the above.

Anthony J Wells! Doyen of UKPR! The man, the legend himself. Good lad.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    Not a great look from Luciana Berger in the Lib Dem PEB. I thought it was the antisemetism rather than Brexit that led to her leaving the Labour Party.
  • Options

Missed that you were unwell BJO. Hope it all gets sorted for you very soon and best wishes. Some things are far more important than political disagreements.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    RobD said:

Pretty graph.

Last time the polls were this stable during a campaign was 2010, and they got it pretty much spot on (result +7.2%, average of final polls 6.9)
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

RobD said:
    Agreed. Of course if you were evil you’d add a yellow line......
  • Options
    geoffw said:

RobD said:

geoffw said:

RobD said:

geoffw said:

RobD said:

BluerBlue said:

RobD said:

the 100,000

ok. My only thought was to do with weighting. I don't know whether the MRP stuff included voting intention numbers.

The MRP suggested 43/32/14, which is broadly consistent with the mean numbers seen across all recent national VI polls.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,759

RobD said:
    1. Campaign period starts, Tory lead around 10%
    2. Tories crush Brexit Party, lead expands
    3. Labour squeezes Lib Dem vote, lead contracts
    4. Tory lead stabilises at 10% again, no further movement

Unless there's a 5. then, whilst party vote shares have changed significantly, the campaign will have made no net difference at all to the Conservative lead.
    I think the apparent sine wave is an artefact of "poll-of-polls" and the fact that pollsters publish at different times. I've argued against poll-of-polls in the past because they capture house effects as well as real movements.
  • Options
    edited December 2019

saddened said:

melcf said:

I'll be here. But history shows that some prolific posters won't be.
    IOS, springs to mind. Though to be fair, he's probably out directing Labour's insurmountable ground game as we speak.
    P. S. hope you are as well as can be soon.
    We may disagree on this site, but it has the knack of staying civil.
  • Options

Missed that you were unwell BJO. Hope it all gets sorted for you very soon and best wishes. Some things are far more important than political disagreements.
    Absolutely. All the best BJO
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Not a great look from Luciana Berger in the Lib Dem PEB. I thought it was the antisemetism rather than Brexit that led to her leaving the Labour Party.

There are far more votes in Remain than there are in being nice to Jews.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

RobD said:

Pretty graph.

Last time the polls were this stable during a campaign was 2010, and they got it pretty much spot on (result +7.2%, average of final polls 6.9)
    Difference between then and now is that the Lib Dem seat count has broadly switched to the SNP count which makes it harder for Labour but easier for the Tories to get a majority
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

Exactly, the question I'm trying to answer is why is Tory Maj a generous 1.4?

I can only assume it isn't lower because the polling range still holds out the possibility of a hung parliament. If BMG's next poll has the lead up, say, 2 points in would expect the price to steam in to 1.2 or lower.
  • Options
    stodge said:

melcf said:

Let me think

But if they are locked up they are unable to murder people on our streets.
  • Options

alb1on said:

MVL is world number 4 and the 7th highest rated chess player of all time. He is in no way an extreme outsider
    Hes been rated world number 2 at his highest
    He is a good player but not even near Carlsen. Carlsen is currently on a 105 unbeaten run in classic chess. And Carlsen is even more dominant at blitz and armageddon chess than in the long version. The nature of the LCC means V-L must have won one of the games of the short variants, which is a huge upset. Carlsen smashed Caruana at these short games in the World Championship tie. You are making the mistake of looking at rankings to evaluate winning chances. This often fails in chess (Kasparov, Fischer - and Capablanca going back a century - are examples) because one player may be utterly dominant. And that is Carlsen. He even drew Gawain Jones (a world top 100 player) last year after blundering a full piece in the opening. This is the equivalent of playing tennis with your legs tied together.
    To give perspective. The 100+ rating point gap between Carlsen and V-L is the equivalent of the gap between a decent grandmaster and an IM (say 500 ranking places).
  • Options
    glw said:

There has been terrorism of one form or another in the UK since at least the 1880s. Even if Islamist terrorism wanes, and I doubt it will as the source is no longer just the Middle East, we can expect other extremists to take up terrorism to try to advance their cause. I would expect real terrorism from the extreme of the environmental movement in the long run.

True - I've lived in London all my life and have always lived with terror.

I was simply hoping we could be better.

I do agree the next form of terror could well be eco-terrorism which would take a very different form to radical Islamism.

• Options
    stodge said:

glw said:

I accept a lot of plots and plans are quickly stopped and I'm sure a lot of heroic work is done unrecognised behind the scenes.

My point wasn't about that - we have this counter-terrorism apparatus in place which no doubt costs millions of pounds which could be spent elsewhere.

I would suggest never. There will always be those who are so politically discontented or feel so isolated from the mainstream that they resort to violence. And that violence by its very nature must be terrorism because they have nothing else they can do. That is in no way condoning it, just pointing out it is a fact of life. Before Islamism it was Irish Nationalism or Far Left terrorism in Europe. After Islamism it will be something else.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Andrew said:

RobD said:

Pretty graph.

Difference between then and now is that the Lib Dem seat count has broadly switched to the SNP count which makes it harder for Labour but easier for the Tories to get a majority
    Probably more for 2024 than now, but it does look quite challenging for Labour to get an overall majority of one without a big Scottish recovery. One for Friday morning if we’re not all surprised by a hung Parliament I guess.
  • Options
    I quite enjoy Unherd's 'UnherdBritain' which shows estimated views of each constituency against the national average on a series of issues (the Royals, religion, tax etc). My constituency is more royalist than average, less supportive of immigration, not much in favour of relgion or free speech and dead centre on tax.

https://election.unherd.com/
This discussion has been closed.