Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The number that should worry the Tories

Comments

• Options

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

'Of course, Boris reaches white working class Labour voters who have not voted Tory since Thatcher if ever in a way no other Tory leader would, much as Trump reaches white working class Democrats who have not voted Republican since Reagan'

My take on it is that WWC voters thing Boris is a fool. But he is a fool who will bring about Brexit. Which the bulk of the WWC (of which I am a part, by the way) think will ameliorate the impacts of deindustrialisation, chronic underinvestment in the north and austerity. They're probably going to be very disappointed.

Look at it another way. Brexit has given WWC voters in the north a chance and an excuse to vote for the winning electoral side for the first time since Blair. Maybe since Thatcher or Wilson.

If they win as expected, the new ruling Tory party will be changed: much more slanted to the north, and to the WWC.

So the north can seriously expect a better deal under Boris, as those new MPs clamour for their causes.

The WWC are therefore voting logically, and in their own self interest.

If that is the case it will mean the Tories having to accept higher public spending and, therefore, higher taxes and more borrowing - while also cutting immigration and putting up trade barriers, thus making it far harder to grow the economy. Something will have to give. What will it be?

They will only go on to face the same, probably insoluble internal contradictions as UKIP and the Brexit Party, whom they are aping. This new base will want higher public spending, nationalisation and a left-leaning nostalgia mixed with nativism. The actual driving forces of UKIP, the Brexit Party and the Tory Right are footloose, highly ideological ultra-capitalists.
    Exactly. There are massive contradictions there.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

Statement from Channel 4

Boris Johnson says “people of talent” not “people of colour.”

Our earlier tweet was a mistake. We misheard and we apologise.

ooops we got caught........

But still "feck the tories" eh C4
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

felix said:

Fair enough I’ll hold my hands up that I’ve got it wrong

Good for you - that's something Southam Observer will never do :)

I already have on here and here ...
    https://twitter.com/SpaJw/status/1202915568271134720

And I already edited :}
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815

Channel 4 needs some people of talent asap...

What a cock up

All the talent has left, under threat of being subjected to living in Leeds.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,537
    Stocky said:

speedy2 said:

Stocky said:

speedy2 said:

llef said:

UK Election Poll: Conservatives 44% (Unch.); Labour 32% (+4) - Ipsos/MORIv

https://twitter.com/LiveSquawk/status/1202899539579068416

Given that the last Mori poll was more than 3 weeks ago, we don't know if that movement is recent or simply it's the one already recorded by other companies weeks ago.
    Nevertheless CON 44, LAB 32, LD 13, BRX 2 would give a Conservative majority of 44-64.
    If tonight's debate doesn't change anything then this election is over.
    You are relying heavily on the polls - what if they are all wrong?
    This time the polls, the canvassing, the campaigning, and the local anecdotes are all aligning.

Also there is this uncanny thing about elections that they tend to result in what should have been the result of the previous election.

For example if the Conservatives get a majority of 50 in 2019, that was the expected result in 2017, instead it was a Hung Parliament which was the expectation in 2015 and so forth.

Public opinion tends to vote with a time delay of a few years, or regretting their previous vote by correcting it in the future.
    That`s an interesting perspective
    Especially for the next election
  • Options
    Is PB going to do some sort of a sweepstake where we can all put our uneducated and totally biased guesses into a database and then cringe in embarrassment that we really were that wrong ?
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 59,020

It's a bit like the Paris in the Spring test from the CIA Psychology of Intelligence Analysis book..
    What's wrong with this?

I had to read them three times to spot it.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 27,052
    Just heard the clip for the first time and he definitely says talent. Someone hearing what they wanted to hear.
  • Options

isam said:

Sorry seems to be the hardest word.

Why would I apologise to you?

When you are wrong it shows great integrity to say so
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,302
    edited December 2019
    Of course Lewis Goodall didn't hear talent...he is now in reverse ferret mode as well, having to delete tweets about jaw hitting the floor.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,154
    edited December 2019
    Floater said:

Statement from Channel 4

ooops we got caught........

But still "feck the tories" eh C4
    There must be a heated debate going on in the BBC newsroom. On the one hand, they want to keep the Andrew Neil story getting mximum coverage. On the other they will REALLY want to twist the knife into Channel 4!!
  • Options
    Boris has referred previously to people of talent, however strange a phrase it is to my ears. Maybe the similar form to people of colour is deliberate.
  • Options

The Conservatives are going to have to think what to do about "democratically controlled people of colour" because it is already everywhere.

Ahem.
    Well, it was. Fortunately for them, they had a good answer to the point.
  • Options

isam said:

PB Tories are lucky in that regard, what with them never being wrong and all.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 8,008
    Stocky said:

Barnesian said:

Andy_JS said:

RobD said:
    Flavible: Con maj 110.
    ElectoralCalculus: Con maj 48.
    Latest Ipsos poll doesn't move the dial. NB it gets 10% weight in the moving average.

26 LD looks high Barnesian. Can get 16/1 on LDs getting 30-39.
    Good value I think
  • Options
    On thread, in so far as it is about continuing political stories.

ITV News are making a story today of Swinson under fire over her fake election newpapers, a controversy that refuses to go away for the Lib Dems.

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-12-06/jo-swinson-refuses-to-apologise-over-liberal-democrat-fake-newspapers/

I can't see anything on their website about Andrew Neil.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

felix said:

You need to ask yourself why you are SO desperate to think the worst of Boris, and Brexit, that it is literally warping your senses.

This isn't the first time you've made an embarrassing error by leaping to a false conclusion that best supports your prejudices
    We can only bow to your expertise on that last?
  • Options

It's a bit like the Paris in the Spring test from the CIA Psychology of Intelligence Analysis book..
    What's wrong with this?

nowt nowt!
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,096
    camel said:

Channel 4 needs some people of talent asap...

What a cock up

All the talent has left, under threat of being subjected to living in Leeds.
    Some very bright people in India!
  • Options

RobD said:

So people are now, clearly editing the clip to make him say 'of colour' too.

what a f-ing mess.

Channel 4: fake news peddlers and enablers. :)
    The enablers were surely the party that started the game of editing videos to make, say, Keir Starmer look like a prize lemon.
    It would take editing skills beyond those of the Russian FSB to make Keir Starmer look like anything other than a prize lemon...
  • Options
    Floater said:

Brom said:

Statement from Channel 4

Obviously an attempt at a gotcha moment backfired, Tories have fair claim to being mistreated by Channel 4 News in recent years.
    BBC as well tbf

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7762229/BBC-News-Ten-host-Huw-Edwards-criticised-liking-Tweets-urged-people-vote-Labour.html
    WT actual F Huw? What were you thinking?
  • Options
    edited December 2019

Floater said:

Brom said:

Statement from Channel 4

Obviously an attempt at a gotcha moment backfired, Tories have fair claim to being mistreated by Channel 4 News in recent years.
    BBC as well tbf

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7762229/BBC-News-Ten-host-Huw-Edwards-criticised-liking-Tweets-urged-people-vote-Labour.html
    WT actual F Huw? What were you thinking?
    F##k the Tories? I mean it isn't like he is hosting the GE programme or anything. I love his excuse that he didn't know it was Labour propaganda because he didn't watch it until the end.
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,388

What he says is that Brexit will allow us to have democratic control over the immigration of people of colour. Not of EU citizens, but people of colour. A fascinating insight into the fact Johnson knows what the real issue around immigration is.

But Brexit will not make any difference except, perhaps, to cut down the immigration of white Europeans. India indicated a while back that any post-Brexit deals with them would require the relaxation of immigration controls. I cannot see that pleasing Leaverstan...

Yes, of course. He is lying. But that is what he does.

Change the record
  • Options
    MattW said:
    Can you not have carers of talent? You know, those who have a real ablity to deal with the old and infirm? Do we have to let in anybody who can change a bedpan?
  • Options
    Byronic said:

felix said:

You need to ask yourself why you are SO desperate to think the worst of Boris, and Brexit, that it is literally warping your senses.

This isn't the first time you've made an embarrassing error by leaping to a false conclusion that best supports your prejudices

Johnson is a proven liar who runs away from detailed scrutiny. Those are not prejudices, those are facts. I think the worst of Brexit because I think it will be hugely damaging for this country on every level possible. But I am long past thinking it is any way preventable.

I think we all make embarrassing judgements and come to the wrong conclusions - especially with regards to people we hold in low regard. When we do, it is important to acknowledge it. And so I have.

• Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

Loving the irony.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,976
    Today’s media and today’s politicians clearly deserve each other. What a mess.
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    RobD said:

isam said:

Cheers to that
  • Options
    For everyone shooting C4 News.

They made a mistake. They have now made a public apology. What more do you want? Public floggings?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2019

What he says is that Brexit will allow us to have democratic control over the immigration of people of colour. Not of EU citizens, but people of colour. A fascinating insight into the fact Johnson knows what the real issue around immigration is.

But Brexit will not make any difference except, perhaps, to cut down the immigration of white Europeans. India indicated a while back that any post-Brexit deals with them would require the relaxation of immigration controls. I cannot see that pleasing Leaverstan...

Change the record
    It's difficult to do so, when "Get Brexit Done" is one of the most blatant lies in the history of British electoral campaigning. If you have form, people aren't likely to have a high degree of trust.
  • Options

Byronic said:

HYUFD said:

'Of course, Boris reaches white working class Labour voters who have not voted Tory since Thatcher if ever in a way no other Tory leader would, much as Trump reaches white working class Democrats who have not voted Republican since Reagan'

My take on it is that WWC voters thing Boris is a fool. But he is a fool who will bring about Brexit. Which the bulk of the WWC (of which I am a part, by the way) think will ameliorate the impacts of deindustrialisation, chronic underinvestment in the north and austerity. They're probably going to be very disappointed.

Look at it another way. Brexit has given WWC voters in the north a chance and an excuse to vote for the winning electoral side for the first time since Blair. Maybe since Thatcher or Wilson.

If they win as expected, the new ruling Tory party will be changed: much more slanted to the north, and to the WWC.

So the north can seriously expect a better deal under Boris, as those new MPs clamour for their causes.

The WWC are therefore voting logically, and in their own self interest.
    Yes, that could happen. I'll believe it when I see it.
    It's very difficult to see how it could happen. The big money behind Boris is hedge funds, not unions.
    I agree.
  • Options
    MattW said:
    Yup let's have a policy that only lets in murderers and rapists...if only any party had hinted at such a thing..
  • Options
    The craziest tweet I've read in a long time:

https://twitter.com/rob__waters/status/1202916889753731072
  • Options

isam said:

I have.

• Options
    RobD said:

isam said:

I have been on occasions and do apologise
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,329
    And now the twitterverse is talking about channel 4 impugning the PM and not Andrew Neil
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Tin foil hats on...it is like the making bus stuff was apparently to de-rank Brexit Bus.
  • Options

They made a mistake. They have now made a public apology. What more do you want? Public floggings?

For them not to have done it in the first place. The damage is done, and an apology doesn’t undo that. Just take a look at the replies to their apology.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554
    Byronic said:

Wow, Just watched the video. He very very very obviously says "people of talent"

Anger and bias is turning sane, clever people like Southam into obsessive thickos, who hear what they want to hear. Truly strange.

A lot of lefties on here have made fools of themselves this morning. I hope they are feeling suitably ashamed.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    If the Tories win big, they really do need to take on the Blob, and fuck it up.

Sell Channel 4. Let Rupert buy it. Privatise the BBC, especially the news. Sack every quangocrat with a leftwing opinion. Gut the universities, rip out the commie parasites in academe. Suppress the Supreme Court. Do it all.

Brexit needs to be a total revolution, not just a change in trade and tariffs.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,963
    Byronic said:

Sell Channel 4. Let Rupert buy it. Privatise the BBC, especially the news. Sack every quangocrat with a leftwing opinion. Gut the universities, rip out the commie parasites in academe. Suppress the Supreme Court. Do it all.

Why ?
  • Options

Maybe they could repeat their apology nightly at peak viewing time until the 12th?
  • Options

RobD said:

isam said:

I have been on occasions and do apologise
    :o say it ain’t so!

:D
  • Options
    Byronic said:

If I was the Tories, I would blow this CH4 thing up as big as possible. Arrange a Press Conference ASAP, etc. It plays the narrative of Tories tough on immigration and media bias (even if both are bollocks).

Yes, they should sue. Channel 4 are clearly as biased and demented as the Boris-haters on here.

This is ideal for neutralising Neil-gate
    I said it might turn out to be a dead cat moment.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,213

I mean, it's not as bad as wrongly attributing a terrorist attack to someone who was in prison at the time of the attack, but it's still pretty bad.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,014
    Both "People of colour" and "People of talent" are trending on twitter now.
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,329

An end to public funding of them
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Byronic said:

They are making the same mistakes they do with Trump (and to a lesser extend with Corbyn). If you try and turn everything into a massive scandal, nothing becomes a scandal.

Remember the Gordo handwriting-gate. Because they went OTT on his dodgy hand writing / misspelling, he got sympathy when the real story was he did make a mistake (everybody does), but he lied / was quite confrontational to the mother in the phone call.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    RobD said:

For them not to have done it in the first place. The damage is done, and an apology doesn’t undo that. Just take a look at the replies to their apology.
    There used to be something called Editorial control.

Twatter has destroyed that in an attempt to get quick headlines and increase journalists' own vanity.

Journalists no longer do their job properly.
  • Options

And now the twitterverse is talking about channel 4 impugning the PM and not Andrew Neil

It'll surely be the next PB thread header no? :)
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Just heard the clip for the first time and he definitely says talent. Someone hearing what they wanted to hear.

The first syllable is a bit unclear to me but the second syllable is clearly -nt.

If Channel 4 are privatised in the next few years they will only have themselves to blame!
  • Options
    She's apparently unconcerned about the low pay that results from the unrestricted supply of labour in the care sector.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Andy_JS said:

The remainicas have lost their minds
  • Options

*Madame Guillotine waves*
  • Options

Byronic said:

felix said:

Johnson is a proven liar who runs away from detailed scrutiny. Those are not prejudices, those are facts. I think the worst of Brexit because I think it will be hugely damaging for this country on every level possible. But I am long past thinking it is any way preventable.

I think we all make embarrassing judgements and come to the wrong conclusions - especially with regards to people we hold in low regard. When we do, it is important to acknowledge it. And so I have.

Fair enough. But you seem to be making no effort to address this prejudice, which is now leading you to make embarrassing gaffes and misjudgements. You're treating politics and Brexit as issues of faith, not logic.

It diminishes the value of your opinion, which is a shame as you are normally interesting and perceptive.
  • Options

Boris clearly organised that camera click to happen at the precise moment he said the word in order to make it difficult to hear properly.
  • Options
    melcfmelcf Posts: 166
    Just trying to understand the voting percentages( from polls) and seats, with 2017 for comparison.
    Tories at 44-42% seem at the same level as 2017 but may get 20-40 addtional seats!
    Labour seem to be between 32-35% and will lose around 40 seats
    LB at 11-15% seem to be picking up 15-25 seats.
    Greens and Brexit(UKIP) seem static
    One thing is clear, Labour has lost votes and LD have gained them.
    Various scenarios
    1) Tories have lost votes in London/ SE but regained them in the North( Leave labour)?
    If Tories were to hold South/ Remania and gain North, then their percentage should have reached 45-50! So definitely Tories have gained some, lost some.
    2) Labour has lost 5% , but where and to whom? Directly to Cons in the North or to Brexit or to LD in the South?
    3) Individual Constituency polls seem to come from Labour areas, such as Grimsby and Wrexham. Wonder why these two were selected?? With landline polling of a very small sample. Off course they say the same, Brexit, hate for Corbyn at the doorstep and labour wall is crumbling. I heard the same in 2017 and the wall remained intact and even grew stronger.
    4) Polls in 2017 downplayed Labour votes by 5%. Sections such as ethnics, students and non land line users were ignored. Have they repeated the same error?
    At this time, in 2017 the talk was of a 400 seat landslide and Betfred 96% majority for Tories. I shall wait till the 13th, before I count me chickens
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,096
    edited December 2019
    Nigelb said:

Byronic said:

Why ?
    I thought that was the idea. Think I saw it on a bus!
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Byronic said:

You're three decades out of date. They already destroyed the original ethos of Channel 4 from 1990 onwards, by making it dependent on its own advertising, and the Birtist reforms threw out much of both the BBC's radical edge and intellectual ambition long ago.
  • Options
    felix said:

It'll surely be the next PB thread header no? :)
    No, that's taken up with LibDem difficulty on their dodgy literature.....
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215

It would be a modest start.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    Pulpstar said:

The Twitterati have moved on from Brillogate then?
  • Options

Byronic said:

They are making the same mistakes they do with Trump (and to a lesser extend with Corbyn). If you try and turn everything into a massive scandal, nothing becomes a scandal.
    Indeed.

BTW I was joking above, if any lefty wants to go into meltdown. I don't want to sack every single leftwing person.

They SHOULD sell off Channel 4, however. Enough already,
  • Options

Change the record
    It's difficult to do so, when "Get Brexit Done" is one of the most blatant lies in the history of British electoral campaigning. If you have form, people aren't likely to have a high degree of trust.
    Labour have had some whoppers. Government bonds aren't borrowing. The average family has a two year old child for ten consecutive years. The average family has two rail season ticket holders. The price difference between a season ticket now and ten years ago has been the same for the last ten years.
  • Options
    ozymandiasozymandias Posts: 1,503
    JohnO said:

And put the apology front of their news bulletin. Get Jon Snow to apologise personally.
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,045
    Byronic said:

WTF? You mad or just plain stupid?

Brexit is going to be biggest clusterfuck in British history. It will unravel and it will unravel quickly....
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Channel 4 used to be required viewing in the 80s and early/mid 90s when it used to show cutting edge programmes with material that often couldn't be viewed anywhere else.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Are the tw@tterati outraged that Boris used the correct woke term that only they are allowed to use?
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    JohnO said:

To lose your objectivity once might be a mistake, to lose it twice might be considered bias.
  • Options

And another day when nobody is taking about Labour. That Labour, the one 12% behind.....
  • Options
    murali_s said:

Byronic said:

WTF? You mad or just plain stupid?

Brexit is going to be biggest clusterfuck in British history. It will unravel and it will unravel quickly....
    I'm trolling, darling. See below.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

Channel 4 used to be required viewing in the 80s and early/mid 90s when it used to show cutting edge programmes with material that often couldn't be viewed anywhere else.

Now it is just First Dates, Location / Location / Location and 24hr in A&E....
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    Andy_JS said:

This was before the changes of the Broadcasting Act 1990 had had time to feed through.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

And presumably "Andrew Neil" isn't.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Byronic said:

felix said:

Fair enough. But you seem to be making no effort to address this prejudice, which is now leading you to make embarrassing gaffes and misjudgements. You're treating politics and Brexit as issues of faith, not logic.

It diminishes the value of your opinion, which is a shame as you are normally interesting and perceptive.

You always have to try to learn from your mistakes. And I do try. Sometimes I fail. But I'll keep on trying. Nothing that has happened with regards to Brexit has changed my opinion of it. I think it will be hugely damaging. I would very much like to be wrong. Why wouldn't that be the case? As for articles of faith, I have just read that you want to burn it all!!

• Options

An end to public funding of them
    a proper apology personally and in writing to Boris alongside an explanation of the editorial process changes that will be made to ensure similar libels aren't repeated in future.
  • Options

isam said:

I have.

Fair play
  • Options
    Byronic said:

That, right there, is the true rationale behind Brexit. It's not about an extra £350m a week for the NHS (ha, as if!), it's an attempt to make this country a right-wing shithole, beyond scrutiny and control. And the masses have fallen for the snake oil, which may bring in a whole raft of outcomes that would never win at the ballot box, or in a referendum, if they were as explicitly stated as Byronic has done so pithily.
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    "Nicola Sturgeon, responded. In a tweet, now deleted, she said: “And the Tories claim that their obsession with immigration is nothing to do with race. This is a shocking – and very revealing – comment.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/dec/06/general-election-boris-johnson-jeremy-corbyn-final-tv-debate-live-news
  • Options

... Journalists no longer do their job properly.

That has been the case for years
  • Options
    Worth pointing out that the BBC have made some deeply curious edits to TV news clips, which seem to favour Boris - so the bias is not entirely one way.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

"Nicola Sturgeon, responded. In a tweet, now deleted, she said: “And the Tories claim that their obsession with immigration is nothing to do with race. This is a shocking – and very revealing – comment.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/dec/06/general-election-boris-johnson-jeremy-corbyn-final-tv-debate-live-news

Will she apologise?
  • Options

They have a history of this and needs Ofcom to deal with them
  • Options

Byronic said:

That, right there, is the true rationale behind Brexit. It's not about an extra £350m a week for the NHS (ha, as if!), it's an attempt to make this country a right-wing shithole, beyond scrutiny and control. And the masses have fallen for the snake oil, which may bring in a whole raft of outcomes that would never win at the ballot box, or in a referendum, if they were as explicitly stated as Byronic has done so pithily.
    Agreed. ByronicT is simply trolling, but he's summoned a genuinely living demon from his creative unconscious.
  • Options

JohnO said:

And put the apology front of their news bulletin. Get Jon Snow to apologise personally.
    Yeah, the news companies can start apologising after Boris Johnson apologises for his failed attempt to suspend democracy. I haven't noticed too many Conservatives getting worked up about the most serious assault on British democracy in all our lifetimes.
  • Options
    On topic: Andrew who?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,028

isam said:

I tried to stop you making a fool of yourself and you threw it back at me. But it’s ok, you are what you are
  • Options

JohnO said:

Who knows? Perhaps he will... or are you expecting a NewsFlash? "We interrupt our programming for this special announcement....." :D
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,963
    Andy_JS said:

Boris clearly organised that camera click to happen at the precise moment he said the word in order to make it difficult to hear properly.
    He does have a strong tendency to gabble - he'd do well to follow the practice of Demosthenes.
  • Options

Yes. They were too quick to rush out their supposed "gotcha" that they didn't do the most basic of fact checking. It just took one to listen with eyes closed to hear what was really said. Not the most sophisticated of techniques.

For an idiot on twitter that would be par for the course; for a national broadcaster in the middle of a general election campaign it shows at the very least a massive error of judgement. More likely it demonstrates a lack of basic professionalism and due diligence in their editorial standards and processes.

They should be publicly flogged for that.
  • Options
    The problem with Twitter is that people respond too quickly, before the full facts are known. That applies to all sides.
  • Options

JohnO said:

Yeah, the news companies can start apologising after Boris Johnson apologises for his failed attempt to suspend democracy. I haven't noticed too many Conservatives getting worked up about the most serious assault on British democracy in all our lifetimes.
    Oh good grief. You too have lost any perspective.

When Brexit is DONE I do hope that people like you and Southam can return to the insightful and articulate people you were, before you went fucking postal
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    According to the tw@tterati, he definitely did say people of colour, no matter what CH4 now says or he said people of talent as a dog whistle for people of colour....

Can we just shut down the whole of twitter...it is clearly just a massive cesspool of Fake News.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,397
    Embarrassing for CH4 News. It was "people of talent" not "people of colour".

Also embarrassing (!) for those who attempted to defend it before the mistake came to light - i.e. when they thought he HAD said "It's fine for people of colour to come here so long as it's controlled."

You know who you are.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Worth pointing out that the BBC have made some deeply curious edits to TV news clips, which seem to favour Boris - so the bias is not entirely one way.

The only part of Sunday's Marr-crash that made ITN was Boris saying the 72 released terrorists would be put under further scrutiny. Ta!
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,976
    Hang on, this was C4 adding captions to something they uploaded later, rather than an automated live caption machine which screwed up?
This discussion has been closed.