Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ready for President Chuck Grassley?

Comments

• Options
    Byronic said:

Hopecasting there. It’s not just the Tory leads, it’s the trend. And the trend is Tories rising, Labour flatlining of even falling.

It’s the trend that’s crucial, in 2017 the trend for Labour to catch up was already obvious by now, this time the trend is the opposite.

What can Labour do? They’ve used their ammo. Do they have a plan B?
    More rallies. More chanting.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,201
    nichomar said:

Hats off to Boris, and if I may say so HYUFD

I thought Boris was no longer electoral gold dust. I was wrong!

He’s not he’s is up against corbyn IDS would probably win!
    Boris is polling almost 50%. Mrs Thatcher wasn't doing anything like that and she was up against Foot.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    Floater said:

MaxPB said:

Chukka in with a shout?

No, the Corbynites hate Chukka even than they hate the Jews.

Apparently you can never forgive anyone who defects from your party.
    How many of the good voting folk of the Cities are Corbynites?
    There are council estates everywhere.
    I'm not convinced your average council house tenant is a Corbynista.
    In Barnes the council house vote has gone LD-> BXP and the wealthy part of Barnes has gone Con-> LD. Luckily the council house part is only 20% of Barnes.

There is no BXP standing so I expect a lot of the council house vote will be NV rather than Con.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Tories well ahead in Hendon and Chelsea. Deltapoll.

Is it possible Boris will do much better in london than we think?

Corbyn’s communist manifesto must surely help him in the wealthier areas.

The Tory position should hold up reasonably well both in wealthier areas and in the more Leave-leaning parts of the capital's periphery. Indeed, if they can fight off the Lib Dem challenge in most of the seats where they're in contention then it's not inconceivable that the net Conservative position could be zero or even positive. In terms of possible Con gains, Croydon Central, Carshalton & Wallington and Dagenham & Rainham all have to be in play, surely?
    Plus Enfield Southgate
    Labour are so screwed if the Tories are making gains in London.
    If landslide talk gets some momentum, then I think we will see a swing back. This electorate doesn't want either of them basically.
    Wrong. That 2017 exit poll hangs over every wobbly Tory.
    Not just tories I would imagine - no way am I risking Corbyn anywhere near power.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483

It looks like Boris will, at tomorrows manifesto launch, intoduce Carrie and maybe even Dilyn

Who gives a fuck about this weeks squeeze and a political prop, better he hides them away than remind us what an amoral reprehensible human being he is.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780
    I hope he does win. I never really liked him, but he's been a fighter.
  • Options

It looks like Boris will, at tomorrows manifesto launch, intoduce Carrie and maybe even Dilyn

That'll be nice.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I hope he does win. I never really liked him, but he's been a fighter.
    Not a quitter.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

What is biased about what he days? If a then disappointing if b maybe some hope for labour it is not biased.

And this from one of the many Sky labour cheerleaders

Every tweet from Goodall is pro labour, as are his connections

And Sky are meant to be impartial. He is as bad if not worse than Faisal Islam
    I presume the bit where he says everything went right for Labour this week. But that might not be partial if that is a general view among the commentariat.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

What is biased about what he days? If a then disappointing if b maybe some hope for labour it is not biased.

He is labour, he spent a lot of time in Laura Pidcocks constituency tweeting how well they were doing, his reports are all slanted to labour and he has written books on the left and been with the IPPR
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Rumour on twitter that the labour vote in Scotland is “tanking” - an historic collapse - the 3 other parties are all benefitting.

I thought they were in the low teens or something, how could it tank lower?
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,288
    The media pays much less attention to polls than it used to.

I've hardly seen them mentioned at all on the TV anywhere - other than a general comment like "Con is ahead".

So I very much doubt there will be a big media narrative re chance of a Con landslide.

The BBC especially are always very cautious - remember Andrew Marr the night before a Blair landslide said couldn't be confident of polls, there were whispers of unusual movements in marginals etc.

Basically the BBC 100% always say it's very uncertain.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Who gives a fuck about this weeks squeeze and a political prop, better he hides them away than remind us what an amoral reprehensible human being he is.
    It is over. This is unprecedented territory. Likely as not I will never see a non-Tory government again. Boris can do what the hell he likes on these numbers.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

Hopecasting there. It’s not just the Tory leads, it’s the trend. And the trend is Tories rising, Labour flatlining of even falling.

It’s the trend that’s crucial, in 2017 the trend for Labour to catch up was already obvious by now, this time the trend is the opposite.

What can Labour do? They’ve used their ammo. Do they have a plan B?
    I think Labour are fucked, and I've thought that for a while, but there are a couple of possibilities.

The first is, obviously, the Conservative manifesto. This has been deliberately held back so that postal votes can be returned before it's released. Clearly Tories are nervous about making a repeat mistake of 2017. I'd rate this as very unlikely, but it's not impossible.

The second is that talk of a landslide majority for Johnson gathers momentum, and the electorate decide they'd rather not. The precedent of 2017 is actively unhelpful to Labour in this regard.

What these both boil down to is arguing for an anti-vote, for voters to vote against the Tories, against Johnson, against giving a landslide majority to the sort of Prime Minister who will prorogue Parliament to evade scrutiny, delay his manifesto to evade scrutiny and can't be trusted not to abuse the power that comes with a landslide majority.

Labour have been most comfortable with negative campaigning for a long time now, and it's all they have left.
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Real poll turner of a day.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

You are rattled
  • Options

nichomar said:

It is over. This is unprecedented territory. Likely as not I will never see a non-Tory government again. Boris can do what the hell he likes on these numbers.
    I know but he is still not an honorable individual
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Interesting FT article on canvassing in wealthy london. Paywall I’m afraid.

https://www.ft.com/content/a92b02c0-0b26-11ea-bb52-34c8d9dc6d84?desktop=true

Lots of remainers sighing and saying ‘let’s just accept Brexit, we can’t risk Corbyn’ - a conversation probably being repeated across the kingdom.
  • Options

What a bizarre thing to do.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    edited November 2019

Yes, if he genuinely thinks this week has mostly gone well for Labour then he's very, very blinkered. Otherwise, he's just spinning on behalf of his former employers.

Andy_JS said:

nico67 said:

Dan Hodges is talking tripe .

Corbyns neutral position is making the best of a bad situation, to come out fully for Remain now would be even worse .

Corbyn knows he'll lose seats in the North if he comes out unequivocally for Remain, whereas the party's safe seats in London, Manchester, Birmingham, etc, will vote Labour come what may. So it makes sense.
    But will those seats vote for the Tories, I bloody hope not but I am starting to fear they will :(
    It's not impossible...

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1197891296012177409
  • Options
    Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

The Tory position should hold up reasonably well both in wealthier areas and in the more Leave-leaning parts of the capital's periphery. Indeed, if they can fight off the Lib Dem challenge in most of the seats where they're in contention then it's not inconceivable that the net Conservative position could be zero or even positive. In terms of possible Con gains, Croydon Central, Carshalton & Wallington and Dagenham & Rainham all have to be in play, surely?
    Plus Enfield Southgate
    If landslide talk gets some momentum, then I think we will see a swing back. This electorate doesn't want either of them basically.
    Not just tories I would imagine - no way am I risking Corbyn anywhere near power.
    Not when Boris is such a safe pair of hands.
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,169

https://twitter.com/DPJHodges/status/1198306034269466624

Er. Because Seamus and Murphy wont let him?

because he wants to leave himself?
    Perhaps JC is playing a different game altogether. One in which he wins either way - if BJ gets a majority and we leave properly then the commanding heights are still achievable in the future without interference from the EU, but if by a miracle we get a hung parliament then he's PM.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

• Options
  • Options

nichomar said:

He is labour, he spent a lot of time in Laura Pidcocks constituency tweeting how well they were doing, his reports are all slanted to labour and he has written books on the left and been with the IPPR
    The tweet you responded to is a statement of fact/opinion it in itself isn’t biased so even if he is labour he is not reporting in a biased manner.
  • Options

Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Plus Enfield Southgate
    Its relative - but the tories are safer then Labour
  • Options
    Wait until they start to blame each other rather than facebook or the weather. If the infighting starts before polling day then that's a sure way to make the result even more of a rout then already looks possible.
  • Options
    Floater said:
    That's the sort of degenerate behaviour that leads to pineapples on pizza.
  • Options

Floater said:
    I like pineapple on ........

Gammon
  • Options
    Bastani on christian name terms with Goodall tells you all you want to know how labour Goodall is
  • Options
    nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Agreed. I thought Corbyn was dire and would lose, as I did last time, but not on this unprecedented scale.

Johnson has been forgiven for scandals that would have seen off anyone else. Remarkable!
  • Options

Wait until they start to blame each other rather than facebook or the weather. If the infighting starts before polling day then that's a sure way to make the result even more of a rout then already looks possible.
    surely it will be dark forces blamed - nudge, nudge
  • Options

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

Agreed. I thought Corbyn was dire and would lose, as I did last time, but not on this unprecedented scale.

Johnson has been forgiven for scandals that would have seen off anyone else. Remarkable!
    Because of Corbyn
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,340
    Looks as though the Labour manifesto jumped the shark - a case where less would have been more, perhaps.

Ah well. Ironically have been busy playing Civ VI and see that was discussed upthread while you were waiting for the polls. Let's talk about that. :)
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Byronic said:

Lots of remainers sighing and saying ‘let’s just accept Brexit, we can’t risk Corbyn’ - a conversation probably being repeated across the kingdom.

Interesting, and matches up to my own experience in Hampstead and Kilburn, I think we're going to do a lot better than expected in London.
  • Options

Alistair said:

You’ll give some on here a heart attack posting that the number of 999 calls will have gone through the roof some have sold all their shares and booked planes to tax havens, you should be,rightly proud of yourself
  • Options
    kle4 said:

What a bizarre thing to do.
    The Country loves animals
  • Options

Bastani on christian name terms with Goodall tells you all you want to know how labour Goodall is
    Oh behave, political adviser knows political journalist shocker.

And do you want me list all the journos that refer to our PM as 'Boris'?
  • Options
    Floater said:

Floater said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

Plus Enfield Southgate
    Its relative - but the tories are safer then Labour
    A Corbyn minority government would be less dangerous than a Johnson landslide!
  • Options

Alistair said:

Ah, nostalgia :lol:
  • Options

Looks as though the Labour manifesto jumped the shark - a case where less would have been more, perhaps.

Ah well. Ironically have been busy playing Civ VI and see that was discussed upthread while you were waiting for the polls. Let's talk about that. :)

Haven't played Civ VI for some time, but when I did I always played on the easiest setting.

I like to crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear etc, etc...
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    Byronic said:

Just google "The great Brexit dilemma" and click the link. This may not work on mobile devices.
  • Options
    Floater said:

surely it will be dark forces blamed - nudge, nudge
    When the blame game starts in earnest I am sure that no-one will escape censure. I certainly expect to be blamed.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

Alistair said:

You’ll give some on here a heart attack posting that the number of 999 calls will have gone through the roof some have sold all their shares and booked planes to tax havens, you should be,rightly proud of yourself
    Yes. I had a nanosecond-long cardiac arrest
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,314
    edited November 2019

Everyone calls Boris, Boris. Goodall has a labour supporting pedigree
  • Options
    eggegg Posts: 1,749

I'll say it, Labour is now in big trouble

Maybe not 😌 Leave seems to be shrinking in them
  • Options

Why not

Difficulty level and Civ you played?

I don't play particularly high difficulty but currently playing with a mod which adds various Game of Thrones leaders

Also I prefer HUGE maps
  • Options

Yes, if he genuinely thinks this week has mostly gone well for Labour then he's very, very blinkered. Otherwise, he's just spinning on behalf of his former employers.

Andy_JS said:

nico67 said:

Corbyns neutral position is making the best of a bad situation, to come out fully for Remain now would be even worse .

Corbyn knows he'll lose seats in the North if he comes out unequivocally for Remain, whereas the party's safe seats in London, Manchester, Birmingham, etc, will vote Labour come what may. So it makes sense.
    But will those seats vote for the Tories, I bloody hope not but I am starting to fear they will :(
    It's not impossible...

I doubt Corbyn personally thinks they are dickheads or idiots, though there's definitely some who think that.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,207

Floater said:
    Mmmmm ......... chocolate sprinkled on......No! I just can’t.

• Options

Haven't played Civ VI for some time, but when I did I always played on the easiest setting.

I like to crush my enemies, see them driven before me, and to hear etc, etc...
    I play on a higher level of difficulty than that (3rd easiest) but yes, destroying the opposition is what its about :-)
  • Options

How was it? Just picked it up on the cheap myself.
  • Options
    Floater said:

Why not

I don't play particularly high difficulty but currently playing with a mod which adds various Game of Thrones leaders

Also I prefer HUGE maps
    I always play on relatively low difficulties, I just don't have the patience. Actually the last Civ style game I played was Endless Legend, which was pretty decent.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

How was it? Just picked it up on the cheap myself.
    I think its an excellent example of the genre - the gathering storm add on is worth it too
  • Options

Alistair said:

My eye was drawn to the dementia story to be honest.
  • Options
    Tomorrow's Sunil on Sunday ELBOW will be... interesting :lol:
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

nico67 said:

It's not impossible...

I doubt Corbyn personally thinks they are dickheads or idiots, though there's definitely some who think that.
    But see the reference to ‘a communist’. They use that word. Working class people in the north think jezza is a communist, and they’re right. And they won’t vote for a commie.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Floater said:

Why not

Also I prefer HUGE maps
    I always play on relatively low difficulties, I just don't have the patience. Actually the last Civ style game I played was Endless Legend, which was pretty decent.
    I have that as heard good things - like so many of my games not got to it yet.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,607
    Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

nico67 said:

It's not impossible...

But see the reference to ‘a communist’. They use that word. Working class people in the north think jezza is a communist, and they’re right. And they won’t vote for a commie.
    Comrade Corbyn. In retrospect red ed wasn't so bad.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,661
    Byronic said:

You can usually get round the FT paywall by googling it with the title of the article. (I've never understood what the point of the FT paywall is given that fact).
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/ShippersUnbound/status/1198333388974891008

Think we saw this earlier anyway.

This will be the most "positive" poll for Labour - and that's bad
  • Options
    L

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

I’ve said 160 to 180 for weeks now we are stuck between to reprehensible individuals where in the end you think you choose the one that will do least damage. Of all the news I have watched today was the idiot Hancock saying it was impossible to leave without a deal as the Johnson deal will be passed. He could not grasp that he has five months to agree the future working relationship with the EU before needing to seek an extension. The alternative is no deal, also sneaked into the news was that when Johnson wins the civil service have been told to step up no deal planning.
  • Options

Yes that was out much earlier
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    Look on the brightside. Labour will hold Gateshead and Jarrow. I mean, probably. Well, they might.
  • Options
    Byronic said:

kle4 said:

Andy_JS said:

nico67 said:

It's not impossible...

False consciousness
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

It's disastrous.

Labour will be panicking now.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    Have I missed much? :)
  • Options
    "As Jeremy Corbyn is surrounded by cheering crowds, Labour generally, and the left specifically, are teetering on the edge of looming calamity."

You were right @OwenJones84
  • Options

Alistair said:

The polls don't appear to have turned (apart from Opinium, which appears to be an outlier.) They might have flat-lined, but we need a proper trend to carry on for a little while before we can, ever so tentatively, conclude that this has happened.
  • Options
    alex_alex_ Posts: 7,518
    Imagine if voters actually like the Tory manifesto...
  • Options

No it seems to be new. Later fieldwork. Added all up it means the Tories are probably about 12-14 points ahead. Very healthy. But no room for complacency!
  • Options
    Are we due any more today?
  • Options
    RobD said:

Con gain Bootle looks nailed on.
  • Options

Deltapoll for the mail, maybe others
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    alex_ said:

1924 redux? :D
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

It's disastrous.

I think we are approaching a crossover moment, where the Tories' nervousness despite big leads will dissipate, and Labour's confidence despite those big Tory leads will also start to dissipate.

It will be fascinating to see if the Tories can avoid hubris and easy mistakes, and if Labour respond proactively to these Tory leads rather than just believing they will go away.
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

It's disastrous.

It matters what they will be panicking about. Will they be panicking about the the scale of the defeat, or will they be panicking about how to secure the succession to Corbyn?
  • Options
    alex_ said:

Imagine!
  • Options
    alex_ said:

And Carrie and Dilyn
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    alex_ said:

Lol
  • Options

Everyone calls Boris, Boris. Goodall has a labour supporting pedigree
    Only Johnson supporting people call him by his assumed second given name, not even his family who apparently call him Al.
  • Options

RobD said:

Con gain Bootle looks nailed on.
    Where’s @Ave_it ?? :o
  • Options

Deltapoll, usually out by 9.30pm
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670

Alistair said:

That 37-31 made me put money on Labour Most seats.
  • Options

Yes that was out much earlier
    No it’s new. Later fieldwork. I think.

It’s mildly important because all of it was done after the manifesto launch, so it shows Labour have not benefited at all.
  • Options

nunu2 said:

It's disastrous.

It matters what they will be panicking about. Will they be panicking about the the scale of the defeat, or will they be panicking about how to secure the succession to Corbyn?
    The latter has been the main occupation at the very top of the party for some time I suspect.
  • Options
    algarkirkalgarkirk Posts: 10,541
    IshmaelZ said:

Byronic said:

Just google "The great Brexit dilemma" and click the link. This may not work on mobile devices.
    Agree.

• Options
    RobD said:

Your poll tracker needs updating. 😂
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

Surely driverlees train technology would be easier to perfect than driver less cars

Much easier.

(This is my branch.)
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934
    edited November 2019
    If labour do end up in the 160 to 180 range surely they are going to absolutely rip themselves apart over it? The left wont accept any move away from Corbynism and the cooper bennites will refuse to go on with it.
  • Options
    nichomar said:

L

nichomar said:

nichomar said:

I’ve said 160 to 180 for weeks now we are stuck between to reprehensible individuals where in the end you think you choose the one that will do least damage. Of all the news I have watched today was the idiot Hancock saying it was impossible to leave without a deal as the Johnson deal will be passed. He could not grasp that he has five months to agree the future working relationship with the EU before needing to seek an extension. The alternative is no deal, also sneaked into the news was that when Johnson wins the civil service have been told to step up no deal planning.
    No deal planning was stepped up before a deal was agreed. Most likely Johnson will either get the future relationship sorted in 2020 or, more probably, he'll tell Parliament that he's most of the way there and an extension is needed to dot the i's and cross the t's. However close to or distant from the truth that claim happens to be at the time.

If he manages to win the election at all, let alone with a comfortable majority, then he can get away with pushing out these deadlines afterwards.
  • Options

alex_ said:

And Carrie and Dilyn
    Don’t forget Johnson wanted to introduce fox hunting in London to combat urban foxes
  • Options

nunu2 said:

Surely driverlees train technology would be easier to perfect than driver less cars

Much easier.

(This is my branch.)
    Was that supposed to be a pun? 😀
  • Options
    TimTTimT Posts: 6,328
    edited November 2019
    Andy_JS said:

Byronic said:

You can usually get round the FT paywall by googling it with the title of the article. (I've never understood what the point of the FT paywall is given that fact).
    I can see ways in which a leaky paywall could increase overall revenues. And in many ways a newsstand is a leaky paywall.
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

RobD said:

Your poll tracker needs updating. 😂
    Patience!
  • Options

If labour do end up in the 160 to 180 range surely they are going to absolutely rip themselves apart over it? The left wont accept any move away from Corbynism and the cooper bennites will refuse to go on with it.

They will pin it all on Jez and Brexit and carry on with the Marxism.
This discussion has been closed.