Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ready for President Chuck Grassley?

Comments

• Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453

Constituency polls are London again, Chuka within 6 but LDs a mile behind in Chelsea and in Hendon (3rd place)

Thank you useful Libdems. You've helped the tories.

Again.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    edited November 2019

nunu2 said:

geoffw said:

but . .
    "The results suggest that the first week of televised debates between the party leaders has not made an immediate impact on the race."
    move on please, nothing to see here.
    If Labour couldn't make a dent after their manifesto and the debate then when?
    Exactly. Curtains.
    As I said last week, those were the two potential game changers for Labour. It seems they haven’t worked, so now they need some kind of miracle. They’re four nil down with half an hour to play. And their demented goalkeeper is shouting at a nice Jewish family in the stands, and not watching the game.

Another of my predictions is maybe coming true. Labours manifesto is so scary and Marxist, it’s driving middle class Remainer switchers back to the Tories. So the LDs suffer.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Previous thread, 8.35 am:

"Con 47: Lab 26: LD 11 is a possible outcome. That would be a mega tsunami for Boris."

Ahem. Buffs nails...
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

Opinium!!!!!! :open_mouth:

19 point lead. Is that a real poll and not fake news ?

And when was it done
    Here you go BigG

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/23/tories-renewed-poll-boost-brexit-party-candidates-pull-out-opinium-observer
    Thanks Gin. Why am I still nervous
  • Options
    Mr. Leave, I was just thinking that.
  • Options
    So, the voters won't be bought with the Marxist's Funny Money (ie, their own!)
  • Options
    brokenwheelbrokenwheel Posts: 3,352
    geoffw said:

Tories peak too soon. All is lost.

Peaking just as postal votes are returned is entirely what Tories would hope for.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    Byronic said:

nunu2 said:

geoffw said:

but . .
    "The results suggest that the first week of televised debates between the party leaders has not made an immediate impact on the race."
    Exactly. Curtains.
    As I said last week, those were the two potential game changers for Labour. It seems they haven’t worked, so now they need some kind of miracle. They’re four nil down with half an hour to play. And their demented goalkeeper is shouting at a nice Jewish family I’m the stands, and not watching the game.

I think another of my predictions is coming true. Labours manifesto is so scary and Marxist, it’s driving middle class Remainer switchers back to the Tories. So the LDs suffer.
    I've actually started seeing the latter in action. I've put a smallish sum on us to take Hampstead and Kilburn for this reason. I think our vote will go up by a couple of thousand as Tory remainers come back in from the cold and the Labour remainers will vote Lib Dem after Jez saying he will stay neutral.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    MaxPB said:

TOPPING said:

I like the way the Graun says the 19-pt gap shows the debates didn't have an effect. Er, I think it shows they had a very substantial effect!!!

Well not the effect they wanted!
    Indeed. I don't mind that they have become so partisan at this election, plenty of right wing papers on the other side. But it's when they pretend to be impartial that it's funny as in this case, when their bias couldn't be suppressed.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

And when was it done
    Here you go BigG

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/nov/23/tories-renewed-poll-boost-brexit-party-candidates-pull-out-opinium-observer
    Because the alternative to Boris is so scary.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    nunu2 said:

19 points, I just refuse to believe that will the final result. 47% of the vote, no way, sorry.

Head. In. Sand.
    No, the objection is well founded. 47% is clearly an outlier, even when compared with the run of positive polls for the Conservatives.

Looking at the figures from an historical perspective, the last time a party polled that well in a General Election was when Labour got 48% of the popular vote under Harold Wilson in 1966 - and that, of course, was when there were only three parties of any consequence contesting the election.

Even if there is a landslide at the end of all this, the Tory vote share is not going to be anything like that spectacular.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

And when was it done
    Here you go BigG

How on earth can you be nervous . Unless Bozo shoots someone at the manifesto launch then I really can’t see anything changing .
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,762

Dr. Foxy, already backed (little bit longer, on Ladbrokes a few days ago).

Hope Chelsea can beat Manchester City.

Edited extra bit: I think some are getting carried away with a single poll three weeks before the vote.

It does rely on Liverpool cocking it up, or getting injuries.

Perhaps we should field Hamza Choudhury on Boxing Day to man mark Salah again...

Man City back ahead again, but looking fragile at the back. They are going to drop points over the season.

• Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,883
    Byronic said:

Another of my predictions is maybe coming true. Labours manifesto is so scary and Marxist, it’s driving middle class Remainer switchers back to the Tories. So the LDs suffer.

Yes I've always thought that's a real possibility in the end.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,825
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,922

If my train ticket was £100 and it was late, I wouldn't care so much. But I pay nearly £500 a month and it's been on time twice.

SWR? London? [sucks teeth]. Daym, dude, hard run. Major symps.

(if it helps, I pay slightly less than that. Last week was the first in five weeks I didn't have to fill out a DelayRepay claim. I hate trains)

• Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,365
    I did say that what I had been hearing was that WVM was anti Corbyn, and indeed it looks like WVM is.. The same goes for that guy on Question Time. He was wrong about the 5% but it doesn't matter that he was wrong, he thinks Labour are going to screw him (and they will), and others will think the same even if they won't be.
    Inheritance tax is the same thing, people hate inheritance tax on principle, even if they never will pay any (or receive from an estate that has to pay it)
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Tories in to 1.5 majority on Betfair
  • Options

DeClare said:

eristdoof said:

Novo said:

Those advocating nationalisation of the railways clearly cannot remember how bad British Rail was. Grossly unreliable and inefficient and prone to UK wide strikes paralysing the entire network.

How have the Swiss railways apparently managed to do better than us over a really long period?

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Affordable fares (unlike a £150-200 return London-Manchester)
    Extreme punctuality.

State-owned since 1902. BR was only nationalised in about 1947.
    The majority of railways are publicly owned and run. I don't see why the British seem to think we can do it better.

Even in NI the railways are entirely publicly owned.
    Most of the British population do not believe the private sector can run the railways better than a state owned organisation.
    They must be too young to remember the filthy dirty delayed 'services' that the British Railways Board used to operate between 1948-1994 what a nightmare!
    A lot of us look at the trains now and can't imagine how it could be much worse. My train has been on time twice in the last month. Twice.
    Believe me it can and was under BR
    Can you explain what could be worse for my train than being 15 minutes late, overcrowded (with a lot of people standing), dirty (I had what looked like a shit stain on my seat the other day) and with faulty doors that don't open?
    being 16 minutes late and all of the above? being cancelled so the next one is even more overcrowded? being charged 5p more for the same level of service? a smell of urine or vomit? lots of dogs? headphones that bleed? self-important people talking loudly on phones about how they are 16 minutes late?
    I was once on a train that arrived 12 hours late. It was between Istanbul and Athens though, so I suppose I should be grateful it ran at all. At one point the driver got out to pick some fruit - without slowing down the train (he didn’t need to).
  • Options
    RobD said:

Ave_it said:

OPINIUM!!!!!!

I’m not sure there is a metal precious enough...
    Unopiniumtanium.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

And when was it done
    Here you go BigG

How on earth can you be nervous . Unless Bozo shoots someone at the manifesto launch then I really can’t see anything changing .
    Maybe 2017 lives too much in the memory
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    edited November 2019

TOPPING said:

I like the way the Graun says the 19-pt gap shows the debates didn't have an effect. Er, I think it shows they had a very substantial effect!!!

The only reason why there's a change from the last poll is adjusting for TBP standing down.
    The only reason E.S.B won the race was because Devon Loch fell (or jumped down rather).
  • Options

nunu2 said:

geoffw said:

but . .
    Exactly. Curtains.
    Some of the polling may have taken place before the debate and manifesto.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Artist said:

I'm assuming Chuka could squeeze some Labour votes if he's a clear 2nd. Surprised the Lib Dems are so far behind in Chelsea and Fulham. Hendon was always Tories versus Labour.

I suspect the remaining Labour vote there is of the "Fuck off and die, Chuka, you Tory bastard" variety.
  • Options
    kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,962

Are the Tories absolutely sure they need to have a manifesto? At this stage it seems to only have downside risk.....

Their manifesto should consist of a picture of Boris and two words, "not Corbyn".

It would be top trolling and would probably see them over the line...
  • Options
    Dr. Foxy, they'll likely have a wobbly spot sooner or later, one would think.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,299
    I don't think the Lab manifesto made as much of an impression as last time. Two reasons:

1) No novelty factor. Most of it was similar to last time.

2) The media focussed on the total spending plans, rather than the individual goodies.

"Lab will spend £83bn more" doesn't win as many votes as "Lab will scrap tuition fees / increase benefits / give you a pay rise etc"
  • Options

DeClare said:

eristdoof said:

Novo said:

Those advocating nationalisation of the railways clearly cannot remember how bad British Rail was. Grossly unreliable and inefficient and prone to UK wide strikes paralysing the entire network.

How have the Swiss railways apparently managed to do better than us over a really long period?

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

The majority of railways are publicly owned and run. I don't see why the British seem to think we can do it better.

Most of the British population do not believe the private sector can run the railways better than a state owned organisation.
    They must be too young to remember the filthy dirty delayed 'services' that the British Railways Board used to operate between 1948-1994 what a nightmare!
    A lot of us look at the trains now and can't imagine how it could be much worse. My train has been on time twice in the last month. Twice.
    Can you explain what could be worse for my train than being 15 minutes late, overcrowded (with a lot of people standing), dirty (I had what looked like a shit stain on my seat the other day) and with faulty doors that don't open?
    being 16 minutes late and all of the above? being cancelled so the next one is even more overcrowded? being charged 5p more for the same level of service? a smell of urine or vomit? lots of dogs? headphones that bleed? self-important people talking loudly on phones about how they are 16 minutes late?
    Being 14 minutes late so you can't claim Delay Repay
  • Options
    squareroot2squareroot2 Posts: 6,365
    Andy_JS said:

nunu2 said:

geoffw said:

but . .
    Exactly. Curtains.
    Some of the polling may have taken place before the debate and manifesto.
    Which might make the lead even bigger...
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 7,073
    edited November 2019
    Opinium would see Leigh go blue for the first time ever. Last held by a non red in 1918 with the Liberals and even in 1983 the blues were 25% adrift.
    If Leigh falls it really is end of days stuff for Labour.
    Surely it cant?
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Would be interesting to see the BXP where Lab is incumbent. Perhaps the constituency polls will show it. I think Nigel may have been really helpful to the Tories across the board.
  • Options

Artist said:

I'm assuming Chuka could squeeze some Labour votes if he's a clear 2nd. Surprised the Lib Dems are so far behind in Chelsea and Fulham. Hendon was always Tories versus Labour.

I suspect the remaining Labour vote there is of the "Fuck off and die, Chuka, you Tory bastard" variety.
    Indeed. I think the Lib Dems are going fare worse than expected in London. Not even because of anything they have done, Jez's Marxist manifesto has got a lot of Tory remainers running back home from the Lib Dems.
  • Options

RobD said:

Ave_it said:

OPINIUM!!!!!!

I’m not sure there is a metal precious enough...
    Unopiniumtanium.
    What’s the half-life on that?
  • Options

DeClare said:

eristdoof said:

Novo said:

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

Being 14 minutes late so you can't claim Delay Repay
    Yes, I've been through that thought process, although we're still on 30 minutes minimum in Scotland for delay repay.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

And when was it done
    Here you go BigG

Someone? I think it would have to be a puppy.....

An adorably cute puppy.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

19 points, I just refuse to believe that will the final result. 47% of the vote, no way, sorry.

It won't be, because some soft Tories will peel off to other parties, the same as happened in 1983. They probably won't get more than 42% on the day.
    So you're going for a lower share of the vote for the Tories than they achieved in 2017?
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited November 2019
    kyf_100 said:

Their manifesto should consist of a picture of Boris and two words, "not Corbyn".

Could be even simpler, just this photo, nothing else ….

• Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    nunu2 said:

Constituency polls are London again, Chuka within 6 but LDs a mile behind in Chelsea and in Hendon (3rd place)

Again.
    No corbyn helps the tories nobody else stop talking shite
  • Options

nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

And when was it done
    Here you go BigG

An adorably cute puppy.
    A puppy offering free broadband and cuddles
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

nunu2 said:

Head. In. Sand.
    No, the objection is well founded. 47% is clearly an outlier, even when compared with the run of positive polls for the Conservatives.

Looking at the figures from an historical perspective, the last time a party polled that well in a General Election was when Labour got 48% of the popular vote under Harold Wilson in 1966 - and that, of course, was when there were only three parties of any consequence contesting the election.

Even if there is a landslide at the end of all this, the Tory vote share is not going to be anything like that spectacular.
    As opposed to one?
  • Options

Opinium would see Leigh go blue for the first time ever. Last held by a non red in 1918 with the Liberals and even in 1983 the blues were 25% adrift.
    Surely it cant?

Leigh is target seat 125......
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,883
    Just think if Labour had let May's deal pass with Labour votes they'd have been able to stand back and watch the Tory Party implode...
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,341
    GIN1138 said:

Byronic said:

Yes I've always thought that's a real possibility in the end.
    Well he and his travelling predecessor make so many predictions that by random chance one or two are going to land close to the mark.
  • Options
    Boris should launch the manifesto from his dinner table
    'I'll be right with you, we are just tucking into a kitten'
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,896
    MikeL said:

I don't think the Lab manifesto made as much of an impression as last time. Two reasons:

2) The media focussed on the total spending plans, rather than the individual goodies.

"Lab will spend £83bn more" doesn't win as many votes as "Lab will scrap tuition fees / increase benefits / give you a pay rise etc"

Maybe Labour's manifesto did make an impression.
  • Options

nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

And when was it done
    Here you go BigG

An adorably cute puppy.
    A puppy offering free broadband and cuddles
    That puppy, in fact any puppy could run a national broadband service better than Corbyn and McDonnell
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,884
    nico67 said:

Game over . That Opinium is a shocker for Labour . And also terrible for the Lib Dems

Agreed game over if other polls look anything like this one.
  • Options

Surely it cant?

Leigh is target seat 125......
    Deeper, must go deeper!
  • Options
    Brom said:

So only 60% chance.
  • Options

nico67 said:

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

And when was it done
    Here you go BigG

An adorably cute puppy.
    Shades of a different Jeremy...
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    Dunno if the usual 400 sample (5% MoE) but interesting nonetheless:

https://twitter.com/MattSingh_/status/1198306056100646912
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

MikeL said:

Maybe Labour's manifesto did make an impression.
    Indeed, it has made an impression, just not the one Labour were hoping for.
  • Options
    *cough*

It's one poll. Let's not over-egg things.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Just think if Labour had let May's deal pass with Labour votes they'd have been able to stand back and watch the Tory Party implode...

There was always a certain aspect of Labour being 'too clever by half' throughout the last two years.
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

And when was it done
    Here you go BigG

Almost everyone who is afraid of the Revolutionary Comrades of Evo Morales will be on tenterhooks until the result we want is (we hope) in the bag.

That said, a consistent pattern of positive polling news for the rest of the evening will help to calm nerves just a little.

If all the companies have Labour still bobbing around the 30% mark (and ideally a little below that) then their steady and relentless upward trajectory, which we all remember from 2017, will have been halted. Then the question becomes whether or not they flatline for the rest of the campaign.

We have to hope that the Lib Dems can hold their remaining share (or, if they don't, that their losses include as many frightened soft centrist Remainers turning Tory to thwart Corbyn as they do various kinds of voters drifting back to Labour.)

Still 19 days to go. Tick tick tick tick...
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,299
    geoffw said:

Brom said:

So only 60% chance.
    No.

1.5 is 1-2 which is a 66.66% chance.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

No, I think after the whole Corbynet fiasco Labour lost all of its remaining credibility. It doesn't matter what individual sweeties they offered, people just don't believe them.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Umunna has realistic hopes still in the Cities. But they can forget about Chelsea and Fulham.
  • Options
    That's the opinium surely?
  • Options

DeClare said:

eristdoof said:

Novo said:

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

being 16 minutes late
    I was once on a train that arrived 12 hours late. It was between Istanbul and Athens though, so I suppose I should be grateful it ran at all. At one point the driver got out to pick some fruit - without slowing down the train (he didn’t need to).
    I remember a 1983 trip on the Venice-Athens train laughably called the Acropolis Express. 8 hours late, and a train full of drunken Yugoslav soldiers going home on leave. It was the fastest train on the line, but would stop for a half hour every now and again for the drivers break.

Mind you, some of my friends had a worse trip on the notorious Magic Bus. That kept the speed up, but via the innovative technique of driver changes in the fast lane of the Autobahn. Ah, the joys of travel in less regulated days...
  • Options

That's the opinium surely?
    Yeah I think they've got it wrong, looking at the results. They're identical to Opinium
  • Options
    At what stage might Labour unity fracture and a few home truths be stated by candidates not wholly onboard with the Messiah? Or do we have to wait for election night for that?
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

And when was it done
    Here you go BigG

Almost everyone who is afraid of the Revolutionary Comrades of Evo Morales will be on tenterhooks until the result we want is (we hope) in the bag.

That said, a consistent pattern of positive polling news for the rest of the evening will help to calm nerves just a little.

If all the companies have Labour still bobbing around the 30% mark (and ideally a little below that) then their steady and relentless upward trajectory, which we all remember from 2017, will have been halted. Then the question becomes whether or not they flatline for the rest of the campaign.

We have to hope that the Lib Dems can hold their remaining share (or, if they don't, that their losses include as many frightened soft centrist Remainers turning Tory to thwart Corbyn as they do various kinds of voters drifting back to Labour.)

I do believe conservative remainers will return to the fold, along with others, scared witless by Corbyn's manifesto and that a majority does look likely
  • Options

GIN1138 said:

GIN1138 said:

And when was it done
    Here you go BigG

As I’ve always said you’re free to vote lib dem no way that it lets labour in so no need to fear a corbyn government.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

DeClare said:

eristdoof said:

Novo said:

Thosework.

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

being 16 minutes late
    I remember a 1983 trip on the Venice-Athens train laughably called the Acropolis Express. 8 hours late, and a train full of drunken Yugoslav soldiers going home on leave. It was the fastest train on the line, but would stop for a half hour every now and again for the drivers break.

Mind you, some of my friends had a worse trip on the notorious Magic Bus. That kept the speed up, but via the innovative technique of driver changes in the fast lane of the Autobahn. Ah, the joys of travel in less regulated days...
    Remarkably I was on that night train the very same year, although we got off in Belgrade. We felt clever bagging a compartment and drawing the curtains to discourage others, then the guard moves this Yugoslav family in with us who spend the entire evening drinking spirits and eating pickled vegetables.
  • Options

At what stage might Labour unity fracture and a few home truths be stated by candidates not wholly onboard with the Messiah? Or do we have to wait for election night for that?

The best thing now would be for the obvious Labour collapse to send their voters in the south across to the LibDems in large numbers
  • Options
    MikeL said:

geoffw said:

Brom said:

So only 60% chance.
    No.

1.5 is 1-2 which is a 66.66% chance.
    Thanks for the clarification MikeL. A bit stingy even so, no?
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    Surely 47% less than 20 days before the election = home and hosed. Even a grotesque error would make this 40-32. Course, it's no guarantee of social peace if the vote is mainly about keeping Corbyn out, but choosing a leadership is the main point of elections - and then you reward or punish the government for its policies.

The EU must be delighted. It will either be deal shafting NI unionists, or a no-deal that is clearly the fault of the UK. Compare to another cobbled-together minority looking for another 153 special clauses and conditions and opt-ins. Just get them out and let the shock happen, would be the thinking there.
  • Options

He needs a Galloway style savaging
  • Options

nico67 said:

Game over . That Opinium is a shocker for Labour . And also terrible for the Lib Dems

A consistent pattern would be bad for Labour, but not terminal. There's still nearly three weeks left until polling day, and the Tories need to get through their manifesto and another Johnson/Corbyn debate.

That said, they should hopefully have learned their lessons re: the manifesto from last time, and there's no sign as yet of the TV set pieces moving the dial.

If the Tories can avoid any major fuck-ups then they ought to finish comfortably ahead on vote share. Whether this will be enough to translate into a decent majority, or any majority, is still anyone's guess.

For all we know, the strange looking numbers coming out of the model @Barnesian has been floating might transpire to be correct, especially if enough Labour habit voters revert to type in the polling booths in the marginals, the Lib Dem and Green votes collapse to the net benefit of Labour, and there's a substantial amount of Remain tactical voting.

I'm afraid we're all going to have to wait until at least the Exit Poll, and possibly even until four o'clock the following morning, before we've a firm idea of where this election is headed.
  • Options

nico67 said:

A consistent pattern would be bad for Labour, but not terminal. There's still nearly three weeks left until polling day, and the Tories need to get through their manifesto and another Johnson/Corbyn debate.

That said, they should hopefully have learned their lessons re: the manifesto from last time, and there's no sign as yet of the TV set pieces moving the dial.

If the Tories can avoid any major fuck-ups then they ought to finish comfortably ahead on vote share. Whether this will be enough to translate into a decent majority, or any majority, is still anyone's guess.

For all we know, the strange looking numbers coming out of the model @Barnesian has been floating might transpire to be correct, especially if enough Labour habit voters revert to type in the polling booths in the marginals, the Lib Dem and Green votes collapse to the net benefit of Labour, and there's a substantial amount of Remain tactical voting.

I'm afraid we're all going to have to wait until at least the Exit Poll, and possibly even until four o'clock the following morning, before we've a firm idea of where this election is headed.
    I do wonder if this is a repeat of 1992 in that the Exit Poll turns out to be wrong, unlikely but possible I suppose
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

The best thing now would be for the obvious Labour collapse to send their voters in the south across to the LibDems in large numbers
    I know we need more polling but Corbyn's manifesto may just have scared so many that Boris is now the safe haven and Brexit is of lesser concern
  • Options

nico67 said:

Labour are going to crash and burn 160-180 tories with 60+ majority no need to ramp them anymore
  • Options
    EPG said:

Surely 47% less than 20 days before the election = home and hosed. Even a grotesque error would make this 40-32. Course, it's no guarantee of social peace if the vote is mainly about keeping Corbyn out, but choosing a leadership is the main point of elections - and then you reward or punish the government for its policies.

The EU must be delighted. It will either be deal shafting NI unionists, or a no-deal that is clearly the fault of the UK. Compare to another cobbled-together minority looking for another 153 special clauses and conditions and opt-ins. Just get them out and let the shock happen, would be the thinking there.

It might lead to complacency amongst Tory supporters.
  • Options
    Surprisingly no change whatsoever in terms of Tory Seats on the spreads following that Opinium poll. The mid-spread price from both Sporting and Spreadex has remained at 342 seats all day
  • Options

Surprisingly no change whatsoever in terms of Tory Seats on the spreads following that Opinium poll. The mid-spread price from both Sporting and Spreadex has remained at 342 seats all day

Probably they don't think the gap will be that large?
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

EPG said:

Not this time, once bitten, twice shy
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Honestly, I get the arguments that the Tory position isn't as strong as it looks. This might not be a 1997 landslide (though it really might). But even if the polls are overstated and tactical voting is up and they struggle in Scotland and Labour squeeze the LD vote a bit in the final weeks...

Who are the markets kidding making a Tory majority only a 1/2 shot?
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    Looking at previous Opinium polling this fieldwork is likely to have been conducted on the 20th to the 22nd the same as the Panelbase which showed a ten point lead for the Tories .

That’s the emergency straw clutching that’s needed for Labour tonight .
  • Options

Andrew said:

Umunna has realistic hopes still in the Cities. But they can forget about Chelsea and Fulham.
    nah - he's plundered all of the Labour vote and the Tories he thought he had are running back to Boris, terrified of Corbyn's Crazies. Bet if you did that poll again now, he wouldn't be within 10.
  • Options

Andy_JS said:

It won't be, because some soft Tories will peel off to other parties, the same as happened in 1983. They probably won't get more than 42% on the day.
    So you're going for a lower share of the vote for the Tories than they achieved in 2017?
    Too early to say.
  • Options
    Mr. EPG, you're assuming that poll is accurate. Others have leads far lower.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

DeClare said:

eristdoof said:

Novo said:

Thosework.

being 16 minutes late

Remarkably I was on that night train the very same year, although we got off in Belgrade. We felt clever bagging a compartment and drawing the curtains to discourage others, then the guard moves this Yugoslav family in with us who spend the entire evening drinking spirits and eating pickled vegetables.
    A windy night?
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    nichomar said:

nunu2 said:

Again.
    No corbyn helps the tories nobody else stop talking shite
    Wow. Chill. 😂
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

nico67 said:

I do wonder if this is a repeat of 1992 in that the Exit Poll turns out to be wrong, unlikely but possible I suppose
    Worth noting that the exit poll methodology was heavily reworked in 2001/5 and has had no major errors since.

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/statistics/staff/academic-research/firth/exit-poll-explainer/
  • Options

And yet I use the East Coast Main line around 50 times a year and whilst it was in private ownership I did not have recourse to use the delay repay system once in 4 years. In the 10 months after it was taken back into public ownership I got my fare back because it was more than an hour delayed 7 times.

My recent experience of public vs private is completely the reverse of yours.

In reality all passenger rail operations are publicly owned - the state owns the franchises and let's them out under fixed term contracts. At the end of the contract rights revert back to the owner. Ironically most of the "privatised" operators are publicly owned (Cross Country a division of Arriva owned by Deutsche Bahn for example).

And double irony? The "nationalised" LNER? Run by DOHL - a limited company owned by the DFT but in reality run by Arup, Ernst & Young, and SNC Lavalin.

• Options
    We don't know what the shares of the vote will finally be, the best thing to look at is basically the trend, that the Tories are now extending their lead. But how large that lead is, seems to be widely disputed.

How can you have some polls saying 19 and others saying 8? It's insane.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Foxy said:

DeClare said:

eristdoof said:

Novo said:

Thosework.

100% elec trains
    No Beeching closures
    Lower subsidy
    Extreme punctuality.

They must be too
    Can you
    being 16 minutes late

A compartment? You were lucky...

We had to stand in the corridor until we got to Thessaloniki. If we sat down the guard kicked us until we stood again, " No sleeping! No sleeping!" It was hard to know which was worse, the stench of the conscripts or the spray of urine from carriages ahead when hanging out the window.

(This is all true)
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,997
    Quincel said:

Honestly, I get the arguments that the Tory position isn't as strong as it looks. This might not be a 1997 landslide (though it really might). But even if the polls are overstated and tactical voting is up and they struggle in Scotland and Labour squeeze the LD vote a bit in the final weeks...

it's a 2/3 shot . It's about 70% probability
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,100

nico67 said:

The 1992 exit poll still had the Tories taking most seats, just short of a majority
  • Options
    Quincel said:

nico67 said:

Worth noting that the exit poll methodology was heavily reworked in 2001/5 and has had no major errors since.

https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/statistics/staff/academic-research/firth/exit-poll-explainer/
    It said Hung Parliament in 2015 right?
  • Options
    PeterCPeterC Posts: 1,274

IanB2 said:

I know we need more polling but Corbyn's manifesto may just have scared so many that Boris is now the safe haven and Brexit is of lesser concern
    The anti-Brexit election morphs into the anti-Corbyn election?
  • Options
    If this Opinium poll turns out be accurate then Labour are more fucked than a stepmom on Pornhub.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Quincel said:

If 2017 hadn’t happened that price would be 1.2 on the exchanges IMO. Just over 2 weeks out from the election and its been double figure leads in the last 12 polls...
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

EPG said:

It might indeed, but then, incredibly, there's also an element who wish to be sure of voting for the winning side.
  • Options
    EPGEPG Posts: 6,013
    edited November 2019
    Andy_JS said:

EPG said:

It might also lead to a bandwagon where usual Tory supporters think there is no point lodging a protest vote. So seats like Beaconsfield, Cities of London and Westminster, St Albans, Dumfries get saved. Just a speculation. Point is even an 8-point lead would be enough. I know PB is full of smart, mainly conservative people, good probabilistic thinkers looking for all the possible angles and nervous about a repeat of 2017. But, as the man himself might say, "dudes", it's 19 points.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

nico67 said:

The 1992 exit poll still had the Tories taking most seats, just short of a majority
    The initial range had anything from labour most seats to Tories just short
This discussion has been closed.