Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ready for President Chuck Grassley?

1789101113»

Comments

• Options
    kle4 said:

In amongst everything else this was interesting from YouGov. Those who have said the monarchy dies with Her Majesty may need to revise their opinions.

I've never thought he was that bad, albeit with some kooky opinions, and figured having prepared for the role his whole life he'd probably be better at adjusting to the new role (for instance keeping quieter on some subjects) better than many people thought, but I am curious why there would have been such a shift over the last few years.

That said, I do think it will be a challenge to retain the monarchy in several places once he becomes king, through no fault of his - it just feels like it holds on in several places through apathy or there being more important things to worry about, but a once in a 70 or so year change might as well be seized.
    Oh I agree outside of the U.K., but I do think there’s been a subtle (and successful) PR campaign for him in recent years here. The prevalence of green issues also rather helps him, as he was on them early.
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788
    kle4 said:

In amongst everything else this was interesting from YouGov. Those who have said the monarchy dies with Her Majesty may need to revise their opinions.

I've never thought he was that bad, albeit with some kooky opinions, and figured having prepared for the role his whole life he'd probably be better at adjusting to the new role (for instance keeping quieter on some subjects) better than many people thought, but I am curious why there would have been such a shift over the last few years.

That said, I do think it will be a challenge to retain the monarchy in several places once he becomes king, through no fault of his - it just feels like it holds on in several places through apathy or there being more important things to worry about, but a once in a 70 or so year change might as well be seized.
    I'm currently watching The Crown Season 3 and the republican sentiment in the country and the Cabinet during the mid-late 1960s surprised me. The monarchy isn't invincible but I do think it would take a super majority in opinion polls of around 60% against the institution for one of the major parties to even consider reform/abolition.
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

BluerBlue said:

kle4 said:

Hmm, I wonder why this pledge made it into the manifesto:

The Conservatives have vowed to ban councils from boycotting products from Israel.

A pledge in their election manifesto, to be launched on Sunday, says: “We will ban public bodies from imposing their own direct or indirect boycotts, disinvestment or sanctions campaigns against foreign countries. These undermine community cohesion

https://www.thejc.com/conservative-manifesto-pledges-ban-on-council-israel-boycotts-1.493504

Because it's bloody good politics :smile:
    It is completely undemocratic and anti-free speech. Councils should be able to boycott whoever they want to.
    That might be a more attractive argument if councils ever boycotted countries other than Israel...
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

BluerBlue said:

kle4 said:

The Conservatives have vowed to ban councils from boycotting products from Israel.

A pledge in their election manifesto, to be launched on Sunday, says: “We will ban public bodies from imposing their own direct or indirect boycotts, disinvestment or sanctions campaigns against foreign countries. These undermine community cohesion

https://www.thejc.com/conservative-manifesto-pledges-ban-on-council-israel-boycotts-1.493504

It is completely undemocratic and anti-free speech. Councils should be able to boycott whoever they want to.
    If central government wishes to centralise the power to impose sanctions/boycotts then it is entitled to do so, but I would have thought that in general power is too centralised.

It does make sense when central government is going to be seeking to implement trade policy changes. You wouldn't want a new trade deal with country x undermined by council y imposing a boycott.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,650

kle4 said:

In all seriousness though, if Boris is freezing income tax, VAT and NI for 5 years, then even with reckless borrowing and not quite as much spending as Labour, how is he paying for things?

Personally a pledge not to raise any of those three things for five years is one of those 'too good to be true, or if true actually a bad idea' kind of arguments, it just sounds implausible to me.

Javid is going to allow himself some extra borrowing for investment. Beyond that, tax rises in some areas not yet mentioned (we already know that one has been floated, the extra stamp duty on foreign property buyers,) and spending cuts in lower priority areas?

Or it could all just be bollocks and none of it adds up.

But the manifesto still hasn't launched, we're only going off advance reports. So we don't know yet.
    Any plans do have to acknowledge the deteriorating state of public finances and warning signs of an economic turndown:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50501801

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-economy-pmi/uk-manufacturing-decline-slows-after-new-brexit-stockpiling-rush-pmi-idUKKBN1XB3R3

The idea that there is lots of money for spending or tax cuts is nonsense.

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,770
    nico67 said:

kle4 said:

In all seriousness though, if Boris is freezing income tax, VAT and NI for 5 years, then even with reckless borrowing and not quite as much spending as Labour, how is he paying for things?

Personally a pledge not to raise any of those three things for five years is one of those 'too good to be true, or if true actually a bad idea' kind of arguments, it just sounds implausible to me.

They’re putting it in so Bozo can challenge Corbyn to meet the same pledge .
    Well yes, but they will have to suggest some way of raising money otherwise they cannot attack Corbyn for borrowing way to much, not as effectively.
    Gabs3 said:

BluerBlue said:

kle4 said:

Councils really should focus on things a bit closer to home - a lot of council motions have to be(or should be) rejected in many councils as they relate to national or international matters of politics which the authority has no role in, but even if there was no relevance to a local authority's role (and this one it will be said there are some aspects that are) I'd be wary of outright banning them from taking such actions, even if I disagree. I'd be open to persuasion, but it feels like it has a risk of being disproportionate.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

But of course. The reign of Charles III (or, possibly, George VII?) is going to be a little bit like that of the (far more scandalous) Edward VII, who finally succeeded his ancient mother in old age and made quite a popular successor.

If Charles lives as long as the Queen then I fully expect that he will retire or abdicate outright when he gets to a very advanced age, and so the baton will then be passed to the wholly uncontroversial William (George VIII?)

It's still possible that the Prince Andrew fiasco could snowball out of control (if the Americans file charges and attempt extradition then all bets are off,) but failing that I don't see any likelihood of the apple cart being overturned in my lifetime.
  • Options

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1198371760061779968

Can we have a map of the distribution of those involved against marginals?

The 'historic wrong' is apparently them getting the state pension at the same age as mend get it.
    The claim is that equalisation was introduced too rapidly, and the affected women were left with insufficient time to prepare. My mother was one of them and she certainly wasn't best pleased. I don't know enough about the situation to advance a definite opinion one way or another as to whether it was brought in too fast.

However, the difference in pension ages was sexist and could not be justified. Equalisation had to come, and some age cohort would have to work longer as a result. All those of us who had hoped to claim the state pension at 65 and are now having to wait one, two or three extra years (and, personally, I doubt if I'll get mine before 70 by the time future Governments have finished) are in the same boat. It's just tough luck.
    Equalisation was announced a long, long time in advance. But then the Coalition government sped up the timetable. It's possible that Brown had also cranked up the timetable earlier too (as doing so is worth a lot of money to the Treasury).

I don't think the WASPI's have a leg to stand on when it comes to the equalisation principle, but I think that the way in which the timetable for equalisation was changed was suboptimal, at best. I think that gave people a lot less time to prepare for a change to the change.
    I've never understood this argument. What did they need to prepare for. They'd not retired yet so were still working now they just need to continue working.

What preparations are necessary for that?
  • Options
    Gabs3 said:

kle4 said:

I can't see it lasting in Australia or Canada if he reigns for 15 years or more.
    HMQ is 93. An average female subject of the same age could expect to live another 3.64 years. The Prince of Wales is 71. An average male subject of the same age could expect to live another 14.14 years.

So we would expect the reign of Charles III to last ten-and-a-half years. A bit longer than I had assumed.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    Boy, people just cannot get over the Camilla hate can they?

And from what I can glance at the tabloids I gather Meghan's wokeness may be an issue of likability, but as a very beautiful woman I'd have expected higher positive ratings!

https://twitter.com/jamesjohnson252/status/1198369592357408768
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Isn't a pothole fund a bit cones hotline? It's certainly something people moan about a lot, but Tories have been promising money to fix potholes since the days of Osborne as Chancellor, but not normally as a key pledge in a manifesto.

If the Labour manifesto promised too much, the Conservative manifesto looks like it promises too little. The country has serious problems that a pothole fund is not going to fix. It feels unserious.

If you’re 2-0 up with five minutes to go you don’t throw two attackers on and start playing 4,3,3. You take the ball to the corner flag.
  • Options

The 'historic wrong' is apparently them getting the state pension at the same age as mend get it.
    The claim is that equalisation was introduced too rapidly, and the affected women were left with insufficient time to prepare. My mother was one of them and she certainly wasn't best pleased. I don't know enough about the situation to advance a definite opinion one way or another as to whether it was brought in too fast.

However, the difference in pension ages was sexist and could not be justified. Equalisation had to come, and some age cohort would have to work longer as a result. All those of us who had hoped to claim the state pension at 65 and are now having to wait one, two or three extra years (and, personally, I doubt if I'll get mine before 70 by the time future Governments have finished) are in the same boat. It's just tough luck.
    Equalisation was announced a long, long time in advance. But then the Coalition government sped up the timetable. It's possible that Brown had also cranked up the timetable earlier too (as doing so is worth a lot of money to the Treasury).

I don't think the WASPI's have a leg to stand on when it comes to the equalisation principle, but I think that the way in which the timetable for equalisation was changed was suboptimal, at best. I think that gave people a lot less time to prepare for a change to the change.
    I've never understood this argument. What did they need to prepare for. They'd not retired yet so were still working now they just need to continue working.

Why work when you can demand money for nothing.
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

Gabs3 said:

kle4 said:

I can't see it lasting in Australia or Canada if he reigns for 15 years or more.
    HMQ is 93. An average female subject of the same age could expect to live another 3.64 years. The Prince of Wales is 71. An average male subject of the same age could expect to live another 14.14 years.

So we would expect the reign of Charles III to last ten-and-a-half years. A bit longer than I had assumed.
    If the Queen does as well as her mother then she could be around for some years yet. On the other hand, there was a story circulating not so long ago that, if she reaches 95, she may elect to follow Prince Philip into retirement. She wouldn't abdicate, but there would be a Regency.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    kle4 said:

And from what I can glance at the tabloids I gather Meghan's wokeness may be an issue of likability, but as a very beautiful woman I'd have expected higher positive ratings!

It's not the wokeness, if it was then the Princes would be affected too. She's the only member with a major partisan divide, +40 with Lab and LDs but -10 with Tories. Regrettably I think what marks her out in some of their eyes is far more superficial.
  • Options

Well they might have been in the happy position of being able to make preparations so that they could still afford to retire at the earlier age, but not if they then have to bridge a longer gap before their state pension started.
  • Options
    welshowlwelshowl Posts: 4,460

Equality sucks when you’ve hit the iceberg and there’s a limited number of lifeboats.
  • Options

We'll all be getting one of the million 'climate jobs' per the Labour manifesto anyway. Or 'millions' if the Greens get in.

Greens still winning the battle of best laid out and presented manifesto, btw. Tories, please ensure you've hyperlinked your sections with the contents page, don't just give up after 1 section like Labour did.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

kle4 said:

Javid is going to allow himself some extra borrowing for investment. Beyond that, tax rises in some areas not yet mentioned (we already know that one has been floated, the extra stamp duty on foreign property buyers,) and spending cuts in lower priority areas?

Or it could all just be bollocks and none of it adds up.

But the manifesto still hasn't launched, we're only going off advance reports. So we don't know yet.
    Any plans do have to acknowledge the deteriorating state of public finances and warning signs of an economic turndown:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-50501801

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-economy-pmi/uk-manufacturing-decline-slows-after-new-brexit-stockpiling-rush-pmi-idUKKBN1XB3R3

The idea that there is lots of money for spending or tax cuts is nonsense.

I would have thought Trump will stoke a boom next year, and Europe will get a bit of a tail wind from that in the short term. Agree in the medium term though.
  • Options
    Quincel said:

kle4 said:

It's not the wokeness, if it was then the Princes would be affected too. She's the only member with a major partisan divide, +40 with Lab and LDs but -10 with Tories. Regrettably I think what marks her out in some of their eyes is far more superficial.
    Well, Harry is down quite a bit too, but you're probably right.
  • Options

Gabs3 said:

kle4 said:

If the Queen does as well as her mother then she could be around for some years yet. On the other hand, there was a story circulating not so long ago that, if she reaches 95, she may elect to follow Prince Philip into retirement. She wouldn't abdicate, but there would be a Regency.
    As some jolly sensible chap once suggested

http://www2.politicalbetting.com/index.php/archives/2018/04/21/the-palace-is-laying-the-groundwork-for-a-regency/
  • Options

Well they might have been in the happy position of being able to make preparations so that they could still afford to retire at the earlier age, but not if they then have to bridge a longer gap before their state pension started.
    There's no divine right to retire many years early.
  • Options
    XtrainXtrain Posts: 338

Surely the historic wrong is that men had to work 5 extra years.
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830

But of course. The reign of Charles III (or, possibly, George VII?) is going to be a little bit like that of the (far more scandalous) Edward VII, who finally succeeded his ancient mother in old age and made quite a popular successor.

If Charles lives as long as the Queen then I fully expect that he will retire or abdicate outright when he gets to a very advanced age, and so the baton will then be passed to the wholly uncontroversial William (George VIII?)

It's still possible that the Prince Andrew fiasco could snowball out of control (if the Americans file charges and attempt extradition then all bets are off,) but failing that I don't see any likelihood of the apple cart being overturned in my lifetime.
    Lots of families have embarrassing uncles. Andrew is most unlikely to cause terminal damage.

Charles becoming king entails Camilla becoming queen, which I think will boost resentment of her a fair bit.

I ain't no doctor but I doubt a 71 year old as permanently puce in the face as Charles is going to make old bones.
  • Options

No, but there's a reason these changes have normally been announced many years in advance.
  • Options

Prince Andrew sends his regards :lol:
  • Options
    dodradedodrade Posts: 595

The August 2017 figures were adversely effected by coverage of the 20th anniversary of Diana's death, IIRC his ratings were higher beforehand as well.
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited November 2019

No, but there's a reason these changes have normally been announced many years in advance.
    There’s a balance isn’t there? You shouldn’t change the retirement age effective tomorrow, but people should also engage brain a bit. I’m now late 30s; there’s nothing in writing but I don’t expect to retire much before I’m 75. I have some accrued rights that kick in from 60, and I’d hope they’d let me reduce hours. I’d expect most my age to think similarly.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The Labour policy just announced does apparently appear in their manifesto . According to the Guardian it was under a section where they promised to look into designing a system to help compensate the women effected .

It could be around an extra £100 a week for these women upto a max payout of £31,000.

It seems many in the media missed this section of their manifesto. This is quite a curveball into the election . It effects over 3.5 million women , that’s a lot of votes and a lot of possible husbands who might also be swayed !

Looks like Labour are getting their own back on the Tories and their cynical games by dropping this bombshell on the day of the Tory manifesto launch .

• Options
    nico67 said:

The Labour policy just announced does apparently appear in their manifesto . According to the Guardian it was under a section where they promised to look into designing a system to help compensate the women effected .

It could be around an extra £100 a week for these women upto a max payout of £31,000.

It seems many in the media missed this section of their manifesto. This is quite a curveball into the election . It effects over 3.5 million women , that’s a lot of votes and a lot of possible husbands who might also be swayed !

Looks like Labour are getting their own back on the Tories and their cynical games by dropping this bombshell on the day of the Tory manifesto launch .

I dont know that it was missed so much as unclear what it would mean until it's been clarified
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    edited November 2019
    IanB2 said:

Andy_JS said:

I find it difficult to believe the LDs are only going to win 14 seats.

They will be relying on a ground campaign to pull over Labour voters tactically, in those key seats. Hence all the leaflets a few lucky PB’ers have been getting. Three more weeks of leaflets to go.
    I think the Libdem leaflet distribution in the weeks up to and after the GE was called UK wide was totally chaotic, and its looks as if they totally tore up their strategy grid the moment the GE was called and binned the Presidential style campaign appeal. From my own anecdotal evidence, it looks like they started out with the idea of running a Presidential campaign focussed around Jo Swinson in the month before the GE was officially called and the plan was to target some of their key old formerly safe seats, especially in Remain areas across the whole UK, and then they gave up?!

I live in West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine, we got three leaflets focussing on Jo Swinson in the month before the GE was called, then nothing since. But a Libdem voter in Danny Alexander's old seat has not had anything before or after the GE was called. Up here in Scotland, you would expect someone who was going to try to use their Leadership as a plus to then run a high profile campaign in key Remain target seats in the way both Nicola Sturgeon and Ruth Davidson have successfully done in the past. But Jo Swinson has been invisible in Scotland during this GE campaign, and I suspect the same is true of other key Remain target areas outside London down South. So its been no surprise to me that the Libdems have fallen back in the polls and their expectations. If you make your campaign London centric the rest of the country will ignore you.

Also like Jeremy Corbyn with his new neutral position on Brexit (I was present but not involved), Jo Swinson was ill advised to come out with the stance of Revoke Brexit without even a referendum while being left like Nicola Sturgeon looking like they would both prop up a Labour minority Gov that intends to ignore the majority in both the Indy Ref and Brexit. A brave move...

• Options
    BigRichBigRich Posts: 3,489

I think theses changes where announced in the John Magear years, giving everybody affected at least 20 years to prepare.

The 2 other points from the lady's are (as I understand it)

1) Thay did not hear about it and/or where not reminded so thought it had gone away, but this reminding presumably should have happened in the 13 years of Tony Blare and Gordon Brown!!!!

2) The same people affected by this change are also going to be affected by the rise in pension age for everybody to 67! which does feal a bit unfair.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,967

Aged like a fine wine. Cheers to Charles!
  • Options
    What will the Daily Mail do now !

They were apparently outraged at the High Court decision but of course now Labour have done something they’ll probably hate it!

The case was given leave to appeal to the Supreme Court .
  • Options
    ReggieCideReggieCide Posts: 4,312

There’s a balance isn’t there? You shouldn’t change the retirement age effective tomorrow, but people should also engage brain a bit. I’m now late 30s; there’s nothing in writing but I don’t expect to retire much before I’m 75. I have some accrued rights that kick in from 60, and I’d hope they’d let me reduce hours. I’d expect most my age to think similarly.
    Affordability is the issue and voters who have nothing to lose (something for nothing Labour) will excitedly clap their hands, those with something to lose (often lots and everyone else) will be horrified. Not a vote winner?
  • Options
    Apparently the Waspi announcement was already in the manifesto, so it isn't new
  • Options
    Oh giddy-eye...

Former Dutch football great Marco van Basten apologised on Saturday after he was heard using a Nazi greeting to ridicule a Dutch television journalist's German during an interview.

'Not too pretty, sieg heil, pfannkuchen (pancake),' Van Basten said, using the Nazi German greeting during World War II.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Why don't you restrict yourself to posts saying Corbynism is wonderful and Tories are crap? There, now you can productively be lazy.
  • Options

Yes, that's basically what I said. There was a plan to equalise the ages, which was announced well in advance. Where I think they have some grounds for complaint is that the original timetable was sped-up, much later in the process, by the Coalition.

I don't think it is desirable for a timetable to be announced, and then for it to be compressed at a later stage.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2019
    So Labour are going to find another £58bn....all from those nasty billionaires. I have seen 5 year olds Santa Lists be more realistic than Labour's manifesto.
  • Options

Oh giddy-eye...

Former Dutch football great Marco van Basten apologised on Saturday after he was heard using a Nazi greeting to ridicule a Dutch television journalist's German during an interview.

'Not too pretty, sieg heil, pfannkuchen (pancake),' Van Basten said, using the Nazi German greeting during World War II.

No love lost between Dutch and Germans. Not at all like England/ Scotland.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited November 2019

Oh giddy-eye...

There is no love lost and there is....

I have to say I saw Henning Wehn years ago and a Dutch couple were in the audience...well it was fun, I don't think so much for them.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Aged like a fine wine. Cheers to Charles!
    It becomes harder to be nasty to the aged in decent society. I'm not decent, Charles is a wanker.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,337
    Quincel said:

kle4 said:

I expect you're right. But that are other partisan gaps too - Charles get thumbs up from 75% of Conservatives, 48% of Labour voters. 52% of Tories think Andrew should retain his title and honours, only 27% of Labour voters agree.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

I think theses changes where announced in the John Magear years, giving everybody affected at least 20 years to prepare.

This is an article from the time. It says that there was a plan to equalise the pension age at 65 by April 2020, but then the Coalition government brought that forward to November 2018.

I am not disputing the policy of equalisation, but I think the changing of the dates at which it was to be achieved was bad governance.
  • Options

Oh giddy-eye...

There is no love lost and there is....

I have to say I saw Henning Wehn years ago and a Dutch couple were in the audience...well it was fun, I don't think so much for them.
    I like Henning and I like the Dutch but then I'm British and don't feel the need to be tribal about anything other than football.
  • Options

nico67 said:

Why don't you restrict yourself to posts saying Corbynism is wonderful and Tories are crap? There, now you can productively be lazy.
    I’d rather have Keir Starmer to be honest but you seem a bit cheesed off because the Tories are getting a taste of their own medicine .

The Tories manifesto highlight seems to be plugging some potholes whilst Labour are helping out 3.5 million women who are seriously pissed off.

• Options

Quincel said:

kle4 said:

I expect you're right. But that are other partisan gaps too - Charles get thumbs up from 75% of Conservatives, 48% of Labour voters. 52% of Tories think Andrew should retain his title and honours, only 27% of Labour voters agree.
    This is meaningless and you know it. It depends upon the question/ context. Normal society doesn't work like the Labour Party.
  • Options
    :o

Dare I touch the Klaxon?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

nico67 said:

I’d rather have Keir Starmer to be honest but you seem a bit cheesed off because the Tories are getting a taste of their own medicine .

The Tories manifesto highlight seems to be plugging some potholes whilst Labour are helping out 3.5 million women who are seriously pissed off.

I'm not cheesed off at all. I was trying to be helpful.
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    RobD said:

Dare I touch the Klaxon?
    Touch it if you want to. Not sure why though. Is there a fire somewhere?
  • Options

BigRich said:

This is an article from the time. It says that there was a plan to equalise the pension age at 65 by April 2020, but then the Coalition government brought that forward to November 2018.

I am not disputing the policy of equalisation, but I think the changing of the dates at which it was to be achieved was bad governance.
    It seems the original change was in 1995, with the 1995 Pension act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pensions_Act_1995

In order to enable all pension ages to be razed, changes were again implemented in 2011 to come in to force 2018 some people where affected twice, I do have some sympathy for that, but:

They had 20 years to prepare for the big increase and 7 years to prepare for the extra year (s) on top of that.

I would hate it if it was me, but having seen a few interviews with the WASBI Lady's I'm a lot les sympathetic.
  • Options
    It seems England have about as much chance of winning this test match as the Lib Dems do the general election.
  • Options
    BigRich said:

BigRich said:

In order to enable all pension ages to be razed, changes were again implemented in 2011 to come in to force 2018 some people where affected twice, I do have some sympathy for that, but:

They had 20 years to prepare for the big increase and 7 years to prepare for the extra year (s) on top of that.

I would hate it if it was me, but having seen a few interviews with the WASBI Lady's I'm a lot les sympathetic.
    90% of the population (my guess) is only too happy to blame someone else if they're caught with their trousers down.
  • Options

RobD said:

Dare I touch the Klaxon?
    I feel like Dougal when he was tempted to push the big red button on the plane...
  • Options

It seems England have about as much chance of winning this test match as the Lib Dems do the general election.

I've said it before but Swansong really does have the demeanour of an overly serious but silly teenager. The LibDems are pathetic.
  • Options
    If we compare that to last GE:

SNP +3%
    Con -1%
    Lab -7%
    Lib Dem +4%

• Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

Dare I touch the Klaxon?
    I feel like Dougal when he was tempted to push the big red button on the plane...
    I'm sure that's apposite but who the fuck's Dougal (I do actually know but whisper it softly)
  • Options

RobD said:

RobD said:

Dare I touch the Klaxon?
    I'm sure that's apposite but who the fuck's Dougal (I do actually know but whisper it softly)
    He's either really small, or really far away.
  • Options
    RobD said:

RobD said:

RobD said:

Dare I touch the Klaxon?
    He's either really small, or really far away.
    You're really getting outside my comfort zone.
  • Options
    It's past my bedtime and I'm to bed before ..... I'm not sure what but I definitely want to be in bed before, just in case
  • Options
    BigRich said:

BigRich said:

Coppola's comment:

http://www.coppolacomment.com/2016/07/the-waspi-campaigns-unreasonable-demand.html

So this group of women is demanding special treatment. Effectively, they want the 1995 Pensions Act to apply to everyone except them.They are even happy for it to apply to some older women, since they specifically exclude those born April 1950-March 1951 from their campaign.
  • Options
    fitalassfitalass Posts: 4,279
    Foxy said:

Frozen 2 is driving movie fans wild it seems. It must be even better than The Last Jedi.
    All I know is that as parents of three boys I thought I was on a winner when I did a Frozen movie night with our niece, but fitaloon being left in charge the next night and choosing Warhorse saw him came out the winner by a mile!!
  • Options

The Tories will have to put some more stuff in there - otherwise they'll just enhance the stereotype of "more of the same" which seems an open goal for Labour

Labour & open goals!
  • Options
    asjohnstoneasjohnstone Posts: 1,276
    BigRich said:

SNP +3%
    Con -1%
    Lab -7%
    Lib Dem +4%

Pretty much what I expected, I suspect the Cons will hold almost all their Scottish seats (maybe not Ayr where the local MP was popular and is retiring); the Ruth effect was overstated.

If they can stand still in Scotland it makes the overall UK task much easier
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    BigRich said:

SNP +3%
    Con -1%
    Lab -7%
    Lib Dem +4%

That is honestly a very good poll for the SCons.

Should be able to keep most their seats when it comes to actual votes. (Especially in the middle of winter, in the North East of Scotland).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    BigRich said:

SNP +3%
    Con -1%
    Lab -7%
    Lib Dem +4%

Amazing
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

BigRich said:

SNP +3%
    Con -1%
    Lab -7%
    Lib Dem +4%

Amazing
    Come on unionists, you know who you have to vote for! :D
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,001
    Pulpstar said:

BigRich said:

SNP +3%
    Con -1%
    Lab -7%
    Lib Dem +4%

Amazing
    That suggests to me that the only likely changes in Scotland are Labout down, and the SNP up. The LDs might gain Fife NE. The Conservatives might lose a seat or two. But that's about it.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Add 10 seats to the Tory total seeing those Scottish numbers.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    It's starting to look like the most even spread of tory seats in my lifetime.

Last night I thought Roberts call looked premature. Tonight it simply looks prescient.
  • Options
    camelcamel Posts: 815
    I too shall attempt a prediction. I predict that Southee and Boult will make this pitch look rather less flat.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,646
    camel said:

I too shall attempt a prediction. I predict that Southee and Boult will make this pitch look rather less flat.

I like the way they put the Australian test match on TMS when it's tea in New Zealand.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

BigRich said:

SNP +3%
    Con -1%
    Lab -7%
    Lib Dem +4%

Amazing
    That suggests to me that the only likely changes in Scotland are Labout down, and the SNP up. The LDs might gain Fife NE. The Conservatives might lose a seat or two. But that's about it.
    The Tories may hardly be down at all in Scotland because they got 28.6% in 2017 and this poll puts them at the rounded figure of 28%.
  • Options
    Andy_JS said:

rcs1000 said:

Pulpstar said:

BigRich said:

SNP +3%
    Con -1%
    Lab -7%
    Lib Dem +4%

Amazing
    The Tories may hardly be down at all in Scotland because they got 28.6% in 2017 and this poll puts them at the rounded figure of 28%.
    Yeah, I got the impression that it was assumed the Tories would be shedding seats in Scotland and had to make up for them in England.
  • Options
    I think the SNP will probably pick up the 6 marginal Labour seats in Scotland without any trouble at all. The most difficult of those requires a swing of just 2.76%. Labour should hold Edinburgh South.

http://www.electionpolling.co.uk/battleground/targets/snp
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,002

kle4 said:

It looks like Boris will, at tomorrows manifesto launch, intoduce Carrie and maybe even Dilyn

What a bizarre thing to do.
    Were there any populist leaders of the past who paraded their mistress and their dug?
    Ken L. could think of one.
  • Options
    ClippPClippP Posts: 1,685
    fitalass said:

IanB2 said:

They will be relying on a ground campaign to pull over Labour voters tactically, in those key seats. Hence all the leaflets a few lucky PB’ers have been getting. Three more weeks of leaflets to go.

I think the Libdem leaflet distribution in the weeks up to and after the GE was called UK wide was totally chaotic, and its looks as if they totally tore up their strategy grid the moment the GE was called and binned the Presidential style campaign appeal. From my own anecdotal evidence, it looks like they started out with the idea of running a Presidential campaign focussed around Jo Swinson in the month before the GE was officially called and the plan was to target some of their key old formerly safe seats, especially in Remain areas across the whole UK, and then they gave up?!

I live in West Aberdeenshire and Kincardine, we got three leaflets focussing on Jo Swinson in the month before the GE was called, then nothing since. But a Libdem voter in Danny Alexander's old seat has not had anything before or after the GE was called. Up here in Scotland, you would expect someone who was going to try to use their Leadership as a plus to then run a high profile campaign in key Remain target seats in the way both Nicola Sturgeon and Ruth Davidson have successfully done in the past. But Jo Swinson has been invisible in Scotland during this GE campaign, and I suspect the same is true of other key Remain target areas outside London down South. So its been no surprise to me that the Libdems have fallen back in the polls and their expectations. If you make your campaign London centric the rest of the country will ignore you.
    Hello, Fitalass, nice to see you back here posting again.

I think you are underestimating the Lib Dem campaign, and assuming that what was in the past still continues to be. It seems to me that their targeting in this election is far more sophisticated than you think.
  • Options
    After thirteen pages... new thread!!!
  • Options

BigRich said:

Its loads of notice. The implication is government shouldnt have been allowed to bring it forward since nothing they could do would be enough. Its nonsense.
This discussion has been closed.