Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Ready for President Chuck Grassley?

Comments

• Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    BluerBlue said:

I've been deliberately avoiding all the political news today - are we good? :smile:

condition: okay.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

They cut 20k off Raabs majority but only get 14 seats??? Seems a little odd

Lots and lots of painfully close second places.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449

I think it's simply a correction to the last poll, which had a weird LD dip. Corbyn's improved leader rating reflects the debate, where a substantial majority said he "did well", and he effectively tied the result - quite a lot of people thought "He's actually not that bad" but without rushing to vote Labour.

most people didn't watch the debate, nor do they give a flying fuck about the debate either. to ascribe changes in polling to a debate few watched is ludicrous IMHO.. WVM loathes Corbyn.. you heard it here ………….
    To what do you ascribe the sharp recovery in Corbyn's rating, then (admittedly just from "dreadful" to "bad")? I'm not wedded to the debate theory, but it's the obvious thing for a change during this week, no? It's not helped the party yet, though, so it's of marginal interest.
    I assign this to Labour/Momentum's social media barrage. In the run uo to an election, virtually every bit of politics I see without actively choosing to is on social media, and is relentlessly pro-Corbyn and anti-Tory.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249

So the Tory manifesto is going to be boring, very very boring

But sane.
    I can only admire your optimism.

Good night.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339

That is pretty similar to my model, which awards the Tories 353 seats, Labour 205, Lib Dem 18, SNP 51, Green 1 and PC 4, for a majority of 62. Waiting for the next Survation though to update the results.
    The MRP gives:(compared with the last election, and ignoring defections in between):

Con+31
    Lab -49
    LD +6
    SNP +14
    Plaid +1
    - not sure where the 3 extra seats come from there, but overall a clear picture. What would be helpful (and I imagine we'll get) is an indication of what happens if anyone goes up or down a few points - that will show how sensitive the model is to small changes overall.

Note that this is based on a LOT of YouGov data, so unlikely to be just the last couple of days. But the Tory lead has been pretty steady so it's likely to be broadly right.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

kle4 said:

Why would Raab be so vulnerable? I mean, he's pretty bad but that's no barrier to people retaining stonking majorities, are there local factors at play?
    Hardline Brexiteer in a very Remainy part of the world.

He's a human dildo given the way he's embarrassed himself over the location of Dover and handling of the Harry Dunn incident. Threatening to bankrupt his parents is not a good look.
    Yes I forgot about that last bit .
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,679

NOTE THIS IS NOT THE OFFICIAL YOUGOV MRP

Merely another organisation using YouGov data and applying their own methodology.

Yes, I thought I detected some weaslery in Shippers words:

"Datapraxis ran 270,000 YouGov interviews through their own predictive MRP model (like the ones that predicted the last election)" (my bold)
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    The polls - not the OPINIUM one but the later ones - do indicate a Corbyn and Sturgeon majority is quite likely so beware!!!
  • Options
    Time_to_LeaveTime_to_Leave Posts: 2,547
    edited November 2019
    In the (one would think) unlikely event of a Tory win but a Boris loss, who gets the call from the Palace? Cabinet coronation of Hunt or Javid?
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949

That is pretty similar to my model, which awards the Tories 353 seats, Labour 205, Lib Dem 18, SNP 51, Green 1 and PC 4, for a majority of 62. Waiting for the next Survation though to update the results.
    The MRP gives:(compared with the last election, and ignoring defections in between):

Con+31
    Lab -49
    LD +6
    SNP +14
    Plaid +1
    - not sure where the 3 extra seats come from there, but overall a clear picture. What would be helpful (and I imagine we'll get) is an indication of what happens if anyone goes up or down a few points - that will show how sensitive the model is to small changes overall.

Note that this is based on a LOT of YouGov data, so unlikely to be just the last couple of days. But the Tory lead has been pretty steady so it's likely to be broadly right.
    Doesn't it had LDs up 2? Thought we won 12 seat last time. I might have misunderstood your post, however.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969

In the (one would think) unlikely event of a Tory win but a Boris loss, who gets the call from the Palace? Cabinet coronation of Hunt or Javid?

Boris PM from the Lords? ;)
  • Options
    Pro_RataPro_Rata Posts: 4,814

270,000? I know MRP samples are big, but it seems to me more like they must've burned through all YouGov's normal panel interviews and MRPs over a substantial period. IANAS, but I wonder if enough of those will have carried the level of demographic data needed for high quality regression and strata building.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900

Bring back Theresa.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,658

Byronic said:

Flashy5 said:

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1198357430293405698

What was this called when Labour proposed it?

Daft and it’s daft from the Cons - oooh we are soooo green and Greta - but take your Range Rover 3 miles for a scan on your ingrowing toe nail and chug out those fumes with free parking.

To be fair, I wouldn’t want to walk three miles with an ingrowing toenail.

Here the devil will be in the detail: my local hospital in in the town centre so parking charges help discourage people parking there and then going into town. There are some obvious workarounds, but I can see the policy making finding a space even worse.
    Surely they’d adopt a supermarket approach. If you go to the hospital and see someone you get a ticket docked. Which allows free parking. Simple
    Who’s going to do that? How would they verify it? Where would it take place?

Nothing is as simple as that.
    The problem at the Leicester Royal Infirmary is not the price of parking, but rather the availibility. I have never heard a complaint about the charges, but get several a day about the wait to get in the carpark.

It's supply and demand. Build us a 2000 space multi storey carpark*, then quibble about charges.

*where being an obvious first question! Perhaps scrap the new maternity and children's block to find space!
  • Options
    RH1992RH1992 Posts: 788

kle4 said:

Why would Raab be so vulnerable? I mean, he's pretty bad but that's no barrier to people retaining stonking majorities, are there local factors at play?

He's a human dildo given the way he's embarrassed himself over the location of Dover and handling of the Harry Dunn incident. Threatening to bankrupt his parents is not a good look.
    I don't think I'd mind the Tories winning if it came at the price of the likes of Raab losing their seats.
  • Options
    So the Tories gain 31 whilst also lose a decent stack to the SNP and also a few to the LDs.

A couple of weeks out, that looks pretty good for the Tories - but that's not a huge margin to start from IMHO, it could all go very wrong still.

It gives a lot of room to have tactical voting deny them a majority. New Statesman cites 5 seats going if people vote tactically and I suspect there are more.

I still think a Hung Parliament is on the cards, if people vote tactically - and youth turnout goes up.

Big ifs as always - and I do hope that happens.
  • Options
    RobD said:

Why even bother with the Lords? He doesn’t need to. New constitutional convention right there.
  • Options

Con+31
    Lab -49
    LD +6
    SNP +14
    Plaid +1

It's +2 Lib Dem (they won 12 MPs at GE2017) and +32 Conservatives (compared to 317 at GE2017), so the numbers do balance.
  • Options
    Would just like to flag up 'Peak Tory Confidence' which occurred around late afternoon on Saturday 23rd November.

It's all downhill from here.

:lol:
  • Options
    IshmaelZIshmaelZ Posts: 21,830
    nico67 said:

kle4 said:

Surely "human dildo" is a compliment? Like "he ain't no man, he's a lovin' machine."
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,449
    MaxPB said:

Byronic said:

Flashy5 said:

Daft and it’s daft from the Cons - oooh we are soooo green and Greta - but take your Range Rover 3 miles for a scan on your ingrowing toe nail and chug out those fumes with free parking.

Here the devil will be in the detail: my local hospital in in the town centre so parking charges help discourage people parking there and then going into town. There are some obvious workarounds, but I can see the policy making finding a space even worse.
    Surely they’d adopt a supermarket approach. If you go to the hospital and see someone you get a ticket docked. Which allows free parking. Simple

The supermarket near my parents has a number plate scanner on entry and exit, it automatically gives you a ticket if you stay longer than the 3h limit.
    To be honest, if they could just get enough machines working at Wythenshawe Hospital so that you could pay and be on your way without hobbling around the campus for 20 minutes it would be a start.
  • Options
    Curtice explains why the seat lead might be slightly more modest that the headline polls suggest:

https://twitter.com/whatukthinks/status/1198366319399329792?s=19
  • Options
    IshmaelZ said:

nico67 said:

kle4 said:

Surely "human dildo" is a compliment? Like "he ain't no man, he's a lovin' machine."
    It was an autocorrect, it should read 'Marzipan dildo'
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Bring back Theresa.
    And she then gets her deal through parliament with Boris's majority.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

It is not the headlines but Boris canvassing with his Father that is good to see
    Ahh, bless!
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905

How can the Lib Dems be on only 14 seats in this model and within 3,000 votes of unseating Raab?

I would have thought that if they get that close to winning Raab's seat they would have to be into the high 20s at a minimum already.
    God alone knows. It's a shame we can't see the list of the 14 predicted seats. Perhaps the model predicts some extreme swings against a handful of Brexiteer Tories whilst, simultaneously, showing a string of successful Lab defences in constituencies like Cambridge, and handing a clutch of existing LD seats over to the SNP and Conservatives further away from London?

Westmorland and Lonsdale, North Norfolk, possibly Eastbourne, and one or more of the seats in Scotland might be rated as losses.

Anyway, the model appears to imply about four dozen net Labour losses. I would guess that kind of serious, but not catastrophic, damage implies the expected decimation in Scotland, significant reverses in the Midlands, but lighter damage in the North and Wales.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,658
    edited November 2019

IshmaelZ said:

nico67 said:

kle4 said:

Was that meant for PB or for your letter to Santa? 😅
  • Options
    RobD said:

Unelected Has-Beens? :lol:
  • Options

BluerBlue said:

I've been deliberately avoiding all the political news today - are we good? :smile:

Possibly. Nobody really knows.
    The polls must have been really awesome for you to say that.

Ok, now that I've checked the actual figures they don't look half bad considering the Opposition just offered the biggest bribe in modern political history. Panic level has been reduced to moderate, pending release of the Tory manifesto.
  • Options
    KeithJennerKeithJenner Posts: 99
    edited November 2019
    Cookie said:

I think it's simply a correction to the last poll, which had a weird LD dip. Corbyn's improved leader rating reflects the debate, where a substantial majority said he "did well", and he effectively tied the result - quite a lot of people thought "He's actually not that bad" but without rushing to vote Labour.

most people didn't watch the debate, nor do they give a flying fuck about the debate either. to ascribe changes in polling to a debate few watched is ludicrous IMHO.. WVM loathes Corbyn.. you heard it here ………….
    To what do you ascribe the sharp recovery in Corbyn's rating, then (admittedly just from "dreadful" to "bad")? I'm not wedded to the debate theory, but it's the obvious thing for a change during this week, no? It's not helped the party yet, though, so it's of marginal interest.
    I assign this to Labour/Momentum's social media barrage. In the run uo to an election, virtually every bit of politics I see without actively choosing to is on social media, and is relentlessly pro-Corbyn and anti-Tory.
    Almost everything political I see on social media is incredibly anti Corbyn.

That's one of the things about it. We all see different things.
  • Options
    Be interesting to see how the don't knows go after the Tory manifesto release
  • Options
    wooliedyedwooliedyed Posts: 6,934

Curtice explains why the seat lead might be slightly more modest that the headline polls suggest:

https://twitter.com/whatukthinks/status/1198366319399329792?s=19

Of course the 2017 mrp models had a range attached. This theoretically is a midpoint I guess?
  • Options
    They wouldn’t have pre-briefed the whole manifesto. What aren’t we yet seeing? Something on housing? Something on student loans following the accounting changes?
  • Options
    Slight subtlety in the Tory plans on hospital parking. The BBC says it's for protected groups and night shift workers only.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

IshmaelZ said:

nico67 said:

kle4 said:

Was that meant for PB or for your letter to Santa? 😅
    A tribute to The Thick Of It.

Moaning about minister on the phone: "He's about as much use as a marzipan dildo."

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/tvandradioblog/2009/oct/15/thick-of-it-malcolm-tucker
  • Options
    RobD said:

The irony of being governed by an unelected reject which was many Brexiters' primary argument in favour of leaving the EU.
  • Options

Interesting to see the detail on the hospital car parking charges policy. The RVI in Newcastle is right in the middle of the city and its car parks are constantly full, so much so that staff are not allowed to park there.

No charges and it will be used by shoppers or commuters and the problem will get worse.

Just do what many businesses - particularly pubs - do in towns and cities. Have a system in place where you enter your registration number when you check in at reception inside the hospital. Any vehicle which is not entered on the database for that time gets a fine/towed away.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,312
    edited November 2019
    Why have they listed the LibDems above the SNP?
  • Options
    Pro_Rata said:

270,000? I know MRP samples are big, but it seems to me more like they must've burned through all YouGov's normal panel interviews and MRPs over a substantial period. IANAS, but I wonder if enough of those will have carried the level of demographic data needed for high quality regression and strata building.
    Yes my model is much simpler and runs off just one regular sized poll (more or less) and gives very similar numbers. I think if the Tory lead is around 10-15pp it will give something in this ballpark.
  • Options
    My guess is that we will see a number of MRP models, and not all of them will be accurate.
  • Options
    BluerBlue said:

BluerBlue said:

Labour got up to 32% (+1) with ComRes. Labour surge watch continues. But yes, overall they weren't too bad. Doesn't mean that will remain the case though.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

Con+31
    Lab -49
    LD +6
    SNP +14
    Plaid +1

It doesn't seem to give much hope to those thinking SCON will outperform.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    MaxPB said:

Byronic said:

Flashy5 said:

The supermarket near my parents has a number plate scanner on entry and exit, it automatically gives you a ticket if you stay longer than the 3h limit.
    Just an hour in the M&S in Dartmouth before you get a ticket.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,197

IshmaelZ said:

nico67 said:

kle4 said:

Steady on. Should Boris get decapitated in Uxbridge or fall on his sword when the Arcuri financial arrangement finally reaches full scandal status, Raab is quite likely next PM!
  • Options

Would just like to flag up 'Peak Tory Confidence' which occurred around late afternoon on Saturday 23rd November.

Peak Tory Confidence or Peak Tory Arrogance?
  • Options
    PeterMannionPeterMannion Posts: 712
    edited November 2019

I still think a Hung Parliament is on the cards, if people vote tactically - and youth turnout goes up.

Neither of which ever really happen much
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Con+31
    Lab -49
    LD +6
    SNP +14
    Plaid +1

I still think they will.

About 9-12 seats, I think. LDs should hold onto all of theirs and Labour only 1-3 seats.

So, 40-45 SNP seats.
  • Options

BluerBlue said:

BluerBlue said:

Labour got up to 32% (+1) with ComRes. Labour surge watch continues. But yes, overall they weren't too bad. Doesn't mean that will remain the case though.
    But you'd rather be in Boris's shoes than Corbyn's, with two and half weeks of campaigning left to go......
  • Options
    edited November 2019
    kle4 said:

Con+31
    Lab -49
    LD +6
    SNP +14
    Plaid +1

The lack of Scotland polling is depressing. I think 49 is too high for the Nats but not by much, more like 43 or 44 for me with 4 or 5 LDs and the rest Tories
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    Anyone who trails a MRP result that is not. The YouGov MRP should be shot in the cock.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Slight subtlety in the Tory plans on hospital parking. The BBC says it's for protected groups and night shift workers only.

Really is that it. What’s a protected group ?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Con+31
    Lab -49
    LD +6
    SNP +14
    Plaid +1

YouGov MRP did not do that well in Scotland. I presume failed to adjust for SNP polling overstatement.
  • Options
    The polling has also yet to take account of neutral gate
  • Options
    Andrew said:

They cut 20k off Raabs majority but only get 14 seats??? Seems a little odd

Lots and lots of painfully close second places.
    So they're only a popular leader away from a breakthrough?!
  • Options
    nico67 said:

Tory voters?
  • Options
    Also anyone who reports an MRP result without ranges should also be cock shot.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Anyone who trails a MRP result that is not. The YouGov MRP should be shot in the cock.

Or be force fed Hawaiian pizzas.
  • Options

Depends if the results bear it out.
  • Options
    What about don't knows, etc do we have them in this MRP poll?
  • Options

BluerBlue said:

BluerBlue said:

But you'd rather be in Boris's shoes than Corbyn's, with two and half weeks of campaigning left to go......
    Of course. These things are all relative.

But there's still time for the robots to get marching. And remember 1992. Labour's reputation is so bad there could be meaningful numbers of Shy Labour voters this time.

But yours truly will never be satisfied. At least, not until we get to Friday 13th and the horror has been visited upon the Labour Party rather than the rest of us, hopefully. I'm too much of a pessimist and the stakes are too high.
  • Options
    I think this MRP will be too much dara over too long a time period. Lib Dems will be at pre squeeze strength.
  • Options
    kle4 said:
    So we could get a Brexit Gvt but no Redwood, IDS, or Raab? It’s my Christmas wish list!
  • Options
    Alistair said:

Also anyone who reports an MRP result without ranges should also be cock shot.

Yeah, never google 'cock shot'.
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    The MRP model is really bad for Labour.

Comfortable Tory majority but not enough for Corbyn to call it quits! He will still try to hang on with a result like that.
  • Options

Hard to tell the difference tbf.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

See BBC website
  • Options
    Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Con+31
    Lab -49
    LD +6
    SNP +14
    Plaid +1

YouGov MRP did not do that well in Scotland. I presume failed to adjust for SNP polling overstatement.
    I concur. And given the truly vast sample-size, most of the data is very stale.

I think Casino is about right on SNP Seats: low 40s, maybe even below 40, depending on how the SCon to SLD unwind pans out.
  • Options
    A reminder of the danger of MRP without error bars

https://twitter.com/twitonatrain/status/1191352370917265408?s=19
  • Options

kle4 said:

Con+31
    Lab -49
    LD +6
    SNP +14
    Plaid +1

The lack of Scotland polling is depressing. I think 49 is too high for the Nats but not by much, more like 43 or 44 for me with 4 or 5 LDs and the rest Tories
    It's a different game north of the border.

MRP works well in modelling Tory or Labour seats, where demographics really drive it, but less so in an environment where unionist voters will swap votes amongst all three major parties to block the SNP.

The YouGov MRP in 2017 overestimated them too.
  • Options

Alistair said:

kle4 said:

Con+31
    Lab -49
    LD +6
    SNP +14
    Plaid +1

I concur. And given the truly vast sample-size, most of the data is very stale.

I think Casino is about right on SNP Seats: low 40s, maybe even below 40, depending on how the SCon to SLD unwind pans out.
    Thanks. Honest of you.
  • Options
    StuartDicksonStuartDickson Posts: 12,146
    edited November 2019
    Alistair said:

Gordon 17 result:

SCon 41%
    SNP 36%
    SLab 12%
    SLD 12%

SLD seriously underperformed MRP (tactical switch to Ruth’s Candidate.)
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,339

Merely another organisation using YouGov data and applying their own methodology.

"Datapraxis ran 270,000 YouGov interviews through their own predictive MRP model (like the ones that predicted the last election)" (my bold)
    Interesting. They appear to have constituency-based data since they're opining about precise figures in individualk seats, so it's presumably done in cojunction with YouGov. But it seems extremely unlikely to be demographically balanced by constituency, doesn't it?
  • Options
    nunu2nunu2 Posts: 1,453
    Alistair said:

I suspect this MRP underestimates the Tories again, slightly
  • Options
    nunu2 said:

Comfortable Tory majority but not enough for Corbyn to call it quits! He will still try to hang on with a result like that.

For 4.5 years? I doubt it.
  • Options
    NeilVWNeilVW Posts: 708
    RobD said:

If that result is repeated, what percentage of the vote are Tories and Labour on? Surely a lot tighter than 19 points?

Well if it's the YouGov numbers they are using, I suspect it's the same as the YouGov lead...
    Not necessarily. YouGov’s final MRP in 2017 had a 4-point Tory lead, while their conventional poll was more like 11 IIRC.
  • Options
    Comres is probably the best poll for Labour because if you dig into the cross tabs . The Tories

kle4 said:

Con+31
    Lab -49
    LD +6
    SNP +14
    Plaid +1

It's a different game north of the border.

MRP works well in modelling Tory or Labour seats, where demographics really drive it, but less so in an environment where unionist voters will swap votes amongst all three major parties to block the SNP.

The YouGov MRP in 2017 overestimated them too.
    That’s a very good point . Also thanks for the other reply re the BBC.
  • Options
    Alistair said:

I think this MRP will be too much dara over too long a time period. Lib Dems will be at pre squeeze strength.

*IF* that's the case and you're implying that the model overstates the Lib Dems' strength then they could be in very serious trouble: back down below 10 seats?

I'd be very surprised - I've got them marked down for around 20 - but I think we've all been surprised by rather a lot of electoral outcomes in recent years...
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,869

nunu2 said:

Corbyn will resign on 13.12.19 if Tory Maj.
  • Options
    So latest ComRes is saying 55% of 18-24 certain to vote, compared to 80% of 65+. Does anyone know how this compares to previous polls?

All people likely to vote (5+), has a Tory lead of 9 points, 38% to 29%. So looks like Labour vote being so much less likely to turnout, is doing them a lot of damage.

• Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    Whence this idea that Corbyn is improving his ratings? From Opinium?

The gold standard, IPSOS, still has him way way down in their latest poll, November 19. Just 4 days ago. Perhaps the debates really shifted things, but we have no authoritative evidence of that, yet.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

Interesting. They appear to have constituency-based data since they're opining about precise figures in individualk seats, so it's presumably done in cojunction with YouGov. But it seems extremely unlikely to be demographically balanced by constituency, doesn't it?
    It's a MRP poll. They are cross referencing precise constituency demographics to a detailed breakdown of the demographics and geography of the source sample to produce constituency estimates.
  • Options

Alistair said:

*IF* that's the case and you're implying that the model overstates the Lib Dems' strength then they could be in very serious trouble: back down below 10 seats?

I'd be very surprised - I've got them marked down for around 20 - but I think we've all been surprised by rather a lot of electoral outcomes in recent years...
    One of the key rules in UK GE forecasting is: never, ever be bullish on LD seats. They *always* underperform against expectations.
  • Options
    BarnesianBarnesian Posts: 7,994
    Adding the latest Delta and ComRes poll into the EMA hardly moves the dial. A move of one seat from the Con column to Lab. Lab now just hold Weaver Vale.

Con/Lab/LD 340/210/31 Tory majority of 30
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    edited November 2019
    Byronic said:

Whence this idea that Corbyn is improving his ratings? From Opinium?

The gold standard, IPSOS, still has him way way down in their latest poll, November 19. Just 4 days ago. Perhaps the debates really shifted things, but we have no authoritative evidence of that, yet.

From Deltapoll.

• Options

Alistair said:

One of the key rules in UK GE forecasting is: never, ever be bullish on LD seats. They *always* underperform against expectations.
    I got some great prices being bearish on them in the first couple of weeks.
  • Options
    ComRes on NHS: Corbyn once again leading, 41% to 32%. Johnson leads on Prime Ministerial by a lot and also on economy
  • Options

Alistair said:

The anecdotal data, including various constituency polls, seems to suggest the LD vote is heavily focused in seats they stand a chance in. If so, an overall 12-15% vote for them could deliver many more seats than UNS would predict.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    Alistair said:

YouGov asked for my information on Thursday/Friday night. I thought I had had the panel survey from them earlier in the week, but that turned out to be Ashcroft.
  • Options
    Nearly 1100 comments!
  • Options

nunu2 said:

Corbyn will resign on 13.12.19 if Tory Maj.
    I suspect you are right.
  • Options
    Andy_JSAndy_JS Posts: 26,659
    I find it difficult to believe the LDs are only going to win 14 seats.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

Alistair said:

The anecdotal data, including various constituency polls, seems to suggest the LD vote is heavily focused in seats they stand a chance in. If so, an overall 12-15% vote for them could deliver many more seats than UNS would predict.
    But MRP doesn't use UNS.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283

Demographic data by constituency is available widely. It’s open data. The yougov survey correlates voting intention with their demographic data from their panel. Once you have the correlations you can apply them to the open data. Making a set of assumptions along the way, of course, which is the nub of the matter.
  • Options
    QuincelQuincel Posts: 3,949
    Cute question from the latest YouGov. Figures on the right are by party, Con/Lab/LD from left to right.

• Options

Alistair said:

This is what leaves me thinking that it's most likely that Johnson *just* squeaks a majority. If the Labour and Lib Dem vote is efficient as this suggests then the quirks of FPTP may leave Johnson raking in votes in leave areas for a large vote lead but with a minuscule majority. I'm beginning to rule out a hung parliament but I think a Tory landslide is wishful thinking and then some at present.
  • Options
    Esther McVey? I can't see it myself. :lol:
This discussion has been closed.