Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How GE2019 is being treated on the front pages

123457»

Comments

• Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,048
    Roger said:

Corbyn is not an active anti-semite - he hates capital which so often is Jewish. He hates western imperialism which is represented by Israel in the ME. But he associates with people who are virulent anti-semites and is happy to defend AS murals and march behind AS banners - anti-semitic actions which make him a passive anti-semite not an active one.

Its the same with Johnson. He has said horrendous things about muslims, afro-caribbeans, LGBT etc etc. I don't he is openly racist or homophobic he just makes comments which are racist and honophobic. My Gillian Duffy reference I understood well - she is a proper Lancashire woman and like so many from that part of the world (my dad being an example) she makes comments which are inadvertantly rather than overtly prejudiced.

I don't expect AS / Islamophobia to be much of an issue in this campaign. I do expect foreigners and migration to be an issue though - the perceived damage of mass migration hasn't gone away. And in the campaign I expect a pivot on "get Brexit done" - a very successful slogan which unfortunately only exposes that the Johnson deal doesn't deliver and only Farage's clean break does...

That's the best little synopsis of Corbyn and the AS thing I've read on here, RP. Well done.
    I would have given it half a 'like'. I tried that mural on several Jewish and gentile friends including my daughter. None got the idea that the bankers were supposed to be Jewish. I'm afraid it was just Guido mischief making.
    Except Corbyn's defence was he had not looked at it, in essence admitting he did think it anti semitic . So that defence on his behalf does not work
  • Options

Boris sticking it to Bercow....I believe in the US they call them roasts.

https://youtu.be/KFC_tyEHalE

Sounds quite complimentary to me. Boris is witty when required (as one would expect of a game show host and professional after dinner speaker), and this is a good speech with a few digs, but hardly "sticking it to Bercow". Bercow looks as though he is enjoying it, and whatever all the two dimensional uber-right of the CINO Party think, he has been a cracking good speaker who has done what is right in protecting the legislature from the authoritarian instincts of an appallingly incompetent executive.
  • Options
    So Corbyn is going to go all in on the NHS (no great surprise) and Boris is going for “a stronger economy means we can invest more”. It’s 2015 all over again.

I wonder if the Tories will outbid Labour on the NHS this time too?
  • Options
    bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,899
    Floater said:

PMQs all about NHS

Good start to the GE Campaign.

Because the NHS was great under labour

oh...

Still, they have learnt and its great in Wales

Oh.....

Next
    Every single NHS target is worse now than under Labour

ANYWAY LETS TALK ABOUT THE NHS FOR THE NEXT 5 WEEKS
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

....the SNP are reliant on voters in England rejecting Mr Johnson’s blandishments and charm.

It is not a process over which the party has any control.

A Boris majority based on English votes would play into their hands.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429

So Corbyn is going to go all in on the NHS (no great surprise) and Boris is going for “a stronger economy means we can invest more”. It’s 2015 all over again.

Looking forward to the Tories explaining how Brexit and borrowing to spend on lots of projects for Bozo to open will make the economy stronger.
  • Options
    The greatest caretaker prime minister we never had. I can't believe I wasted £10 at 14/1 that night we all thought May was going to throw the towel in.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,248
    kle4 said:

Roger said:

Corbyn is not an active anti-semite - he hates capital which so often is Jewish. He hates western imperialism which is represented by Israel in the ME. But he associates with people who are virulent anti-semites and is happy to defend AS murals and march behind AS banners - anti-semitic actions which make him a passive anti-semite not an active one.

Its the same with Johnson. He has said horrendous things about muslims, afro-caribbeans, LGBT etc etc. I don't he is openly racist or homophobic he just makes comments which are racist and honophobic. My Gillian Duffy reference I understood well - she is a proper Lancashire woman and like so many from that part of the world (my dad being an example) she makes comments which are inadvertantly rather than overtly prejudiced.

I don't expect AS / Islamophobia to be much of an issue in this campaign. I do expect foreigners and migration to be an issue though - the perceived damage of mass migration hasn't gone away. And in the campaign I expect a pivot on "get Brexit done" - a very successful slogan which unfortunately only exposes that the Johnson deal doesn't deliver and only Farage's clean break does...

That's the best little synopsis of Corbyn and the AS thing I've read on here, RP. Well done.
    I would have given it half a 'like'. I tried that mural on several Jewish and gentile friends including my daughter. None got the idea that the bankers were supposed to be Jewish. I'm afraid it was just Guido mischief making.
    Except Corbyn's defence was he had not looked at it, in essence admitting he did think it anti semitic . So that defence on his behalf does not work
    I think he has a significant unconscious bias.
  • Options
    PierrotPierrot Posts: 112
    edited October 2019

Seumas will be pleased if they do, because few trust the Tories on the NHS. But they are more likely to fight it most on immigration, at least when they realise third parties and their own role in the complicated Brexit dance of all the parties won't win it for them.

• Options
    Roger said:

Roger said:

Bullshit.
    I think you must be from a much older generation than I took you to be. Not only didn't my daughter or her friends get that they were they didn't even have the slightest idea why they should be. That's not how modern Jews look!
    But that's exactly the point - only rabid anti-Semites, which seems to include Corbyn, think that the world is run by an evil cabal of Jewish bankers, as per that mural.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    The Tory benches are looking very glum.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,164

....the SNP are reliant on voters in England rejecting Mr Johnson’s blandishments and charm.

It will be English and Welsh votes on latest polls with Boris still doing better in Scotland than Cameron did in 2015
  • Options
    geoffwgeoffw Posts: 8,176
    Yay Boris!
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,227

GIN1138 said:

Pro-Remain tactical voting recommendations:

https://www.getvoting.org/

It says "Our recommendation is coming soon"

More dithering!
    Probably missed it but just wondering how your wife is doing? Did she opt for a treatment plan?
    Thanks for asking, mate. She declined the chemotherapy plan. It's been quite a journey, but she is in a good mental place and doing really well. She has just started radio therapy and will have hormone treatment afterwards. Just have to move on and get on with whatever life lobs at us. It has at least given us impetus to do things that we want/need/should have done.
    I really wish you and your wife and family the very best.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    The Tories just need to neutralise the NHS issue given their net gains from Brexit, tax cuts, tough on crime etc
  • Options
    StockyStocky Posts: 9,736
    stodge said: "The aspect to note from the LD positioning is they will happily work with EITHER a Conservative minority or Labour minority administration but not a Conservative administration headed by Johnson or a Labour administration headed by Corbyn."

Is suspect that when the chips are down the LDs will accept a GoNU headed by Corbyn in order to facilitate a 2nd referendum.
  • Options
    Brom said:
    You in favour of more fires in tower blocks?
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340

The greatest caretaker prime minister we never had. I can't believe I wasted £10 at 14/1 that night we all thought May was going to throw the towel in.
    I have fond memories of David Lidington. I backed him at 999/1 for next Prime Minister. I sold quite a lot of that at 6.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    Cyclefree said:

GIN1138 said:

Pro-Remain tactical voting recommendations:

https://www.getvoting.org/

It says "Our recommendation is coming soon"

More dithering!
    Probably missed it but just wondering how your wife is doing? Did she opt for a treatment plan?
    Thanks for asking, mate. She declined the chemotherapy plan. It's been quite a journey, but she is in a good mental place and doing really well. She has just started radio therapy and will have hormone treatment afterwards. Just have to move on and get on with whatever life lobs at us. It has at least given us impetus to do things that we want/need/should have done.
    I really wish you and your wife and family the very best.
    Amen to that.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Stocky said:

stodge said: "The aspect to note from the LD positioning is they will happily work with EITHER a Conservative minority or Labour minority administration but not a Conservative administration headed by Johnson or a Labour administration headed by Corbyn."

Is suspect that when the chips are down the LDs will accept a GoNU headed by Corbyn in order to facilitate a 2nd referendum.

If a potential SNP/LD/Labour deal was based on increased seats for the Lib Dems and SNP, and losses for Labour, there's no way the PM would be Corbyn.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

The Tory strategy is very high risk: potentially sacrifice Guildford, Wimbledon and Putney in order to win Workington, Bishop Auckland and Barrow & Furness.

Given most Tory voters are Leavers, even in Guildford, Wimbledon and Putney, the Tory strategy to push for Brexit is the correct one, if they do not they get wiped out by the Brexit Party as the European elections showed.

The fact Remainers are moving LD means some Tory Remain seats are vulnerable to the LDs but the Tories have more Labour Leave marginal seats to compensate
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    New thread.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,125

Newcastle-under-Lyme: Lab majority 30

Good morning all - if anyone wants to help my campaign in Newcastle-under-Lyme, either in person or by donating, please take a look here: https://www.aaronbell.org.uk/support-aarons-campaign

I'd be delighted to meet pb friends in person if anyone can make it - it's in the north of the West Midlands and yet only 90 mins from London on the train.

www.facebook.com/AaronBell4NUL
    www.twitter.com/AaronBell4NUL

Direct help from Spain not practicable but very content to donate. Good luck!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967

Sir John Curtice predicting there will be over 100 seats won by parties other than the Conservatives and Labour could easily be true if the LibDems and Cons pick over the carcass of Labour seats.

Even if he were right, it is not inconsistent with a healthy Tory majority.

I think John Curtice thinks it’s going to be a bad night for the Tories - shocking
    Here’s the problem..

He’s usually right.
    I think Curtice thinks it's about 50/50 whether the Conservatives win 325+ seats. He's not expecting anything other than a Conservative lead.
  • Options
    Ydeothur - Corbyn offers more of the same

I dont think you are paying attention

If there is one thing he does not offer its more of the same

As Monty Python would say "And now for something completely different"
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Looking at the pre-coalition results, that might open another opportunity for the LDs
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Johnson at PMQs is positioning himself as the change candidate and Corbyn as representing the status quo. If that works he will romp home.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333

Ydeothur - Corbyn offers more of the same

I dont think you are paying attention

If there is one thing he does not offer its more of the same

As Monty Python would say "And now for something completely different"

Yes, that WAS an exotic comment!
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    AndyJS said:

Glum - or sombre? Saying goodbye to a lot of former colleagues.
  • Options
    HYUFD said: "The Tories just need to neutralise the NHS issue given their net gains from Brexit, tax cuts, tough on crime etc"

Yes - they need to make it a manifesto pledge that there is no chance of NHS being "sold" to American corporations. A ridiculous notion I know - but this rubbish is going to be levelled against Tories again and again if they don`t neutralise it fast.
  • Options

Utterly OT, but I'm enjoying The Outer Worlds a lot.

Excellent. I might need to pick it up despite being console at present.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

I've just tried out the tactical voting website. I was recommended to vote LD even though the result last time was as follows: Con 64%, Lab 29%, LD 5%, Green 3%.

The GE17 baseline is totally irrelevant. That was then this is now and look at more recent election data.
    Also it’s not just a mathematical exercise - a candidate has to sign up to their anti-Brexit pledge in order to be recommended.

I don’t know much about this organisation but I see that it is led by a Labour peer.

I can see us ending up with a batch of competing tactical voting sites.
    And a tactical site to tell us which tactical site to use
  • Options
    just heard another local moderate MP going with Lidington too...

Are they all bound for the famous but still fledgling new Tory party that TSE, Rob and I have been proud members of for so long?
  • Options

AndyJS said:

Glum - or sombre? Saying goodbye to a lot of former colleagues.
    You are probably right.

What I would enjoy is seeing the reaction within the Tory party if their poll rating starts to slip as the campaign gets underway....
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited October 2019
    Stocky said:

HYUFD said: "The Tories just need to neutralise the NHS issue given their net gains from Brexit, tax cuts, tough on crime etc"

Yes - they need to make it a manifesto pledge that there is no chance of NHS being "sold" to American corporations. A ridiculous notion I know - but this rubbish is going to be levelled against Tories again and again if they don`t neutralise it fast.

Irrelevant what they put in the manifesto. They’ll just say you can’t trust a word Johnson says.

And the last few months proves that .
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    (deleted)
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    IanB2 said:

What I would enjoy is seeing the reaction within the Tory party if their poll rating starts to slip as the campaign gets underway....

...and when it clicks with them that their poll lead only has to fall half as far in % points as it did during the campaign period in 2017 and they'll be behind Labour.
  • Options
    If Tories win most seats but fail to get a majority, and if no agreement is reached between the other parties and no government can be formed, what then?

I`m guessing a quick repeat of the GE? Who governs the country in the meantime?
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,978
    slade said:

"... Barrow, Workington, Dewsbury, Batley, Featherstone....St Helens, Wigan, Leeds, Salford...."

Did anybody else hear a faint echo of the KLF song in the background... :)

• Options
    I wonder what the best odds I can get on a small Tory majority and a Tory landslide are, spread betting doesn't appeal to me.
  • Options
    sarissasarissa Posts: 1,800

Thanks to comments on here, I backed him at 50/1 in the morning and cashed out at something like 3/1 (?) at teatime.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,067

We can only hope.
This discussion has been closed.