Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » How each of the constituencies voted at the Referendum

Comments

• Options
    A YouGov pollster tweets, in a private capacity.

https://twitter.com/chriscurtis94/status/1189156820373458955
  • Options
    TheScreamingEaglesTheScreamingEagles Posts: 114,472
    edited October 2019

HYUFD said:

Good but no Ken Clarke means No rejoining the Tory party for me.

I'm less worried about Grieve or Letwin.... would prefer Phil back in.
    Testify, although I shall be campaigning for a Tory in this election campaign, just one.
    Is it Andrea Jenkyns again?
    Assuming the Labour candidate in Morley & Outwood isn't an antisemite I'd vote Labour in that seat.
    If you prefer to vote for a Corbyn Labour candidate over a Tory shows you have finally burnt your bridges with the party
    Oh behave you human dildo.

I've said I should be campaigning for a Tory candidate in this election.
    You should be; will you be?
    Depending on work commitments I will be.

I really want to go knocking up the voters again.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,011
    edited October 2019
    TudorRose said:

HYUFD said:

Don’t forget that @HYUFD has assured us that Sunderland Central will go Tory.

Sunderland Central is 135th on the Tory target list, if Boris won Sunderland Central he would have a bigger majority than Blair did in 1997 so unlikely
    Talking of Blair; Sedgefield might be interesting.
    Sedgefield is 91st on the Tories target list
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502

nico67 said:

Donald Tusk will be retiring at the end of November .

He will be sadly missed by Remainers .

He was always on our side and passionately believed in all that’s good about working together and being part of that bigger European family .

Yeah was a nice last message from him as well, we were lucky to have him in place.
    The new EU council President is Charles Michel from Belgium, he won’t be so quick to push for any further extensions .

• Options

Ken Clarke's retiring.

I think he's restored it to those who voted with the whip on the Queen's Speech and/or the Letwin Amendment which is fair enough.
  • Options
    Beibheirli_CBeibheirli_C Posts: 7,981
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

Testify, although I shall be campaigning for a Tory in this election campaign, just one.
    Phil Hammond? B)
    There's this chap in Stoke that's quite good and all One Nation Tories should support.
    I’ll buy it. Who is it?

If you say ‘Tissue Price’ be aware that you have just condemned him to defeat at the hands of highly parochial and definitely non-Stoke voters in Newcastle under Lyme...
    Yeah I meant him and Staffordshire.

In my defence I've spent most of today in a sexual harassment seminar.
    There are so many things I could say to that, but I think I will just let it slide.....
    With hindsight, so should I have done...a grossly inappropriate comment made in reply to mine.

Oh, and something about the forms going in the bottom drawer as well.
    :disappointed:
  • Options
    FlannerFlanner Posts: 408
    HarryF said:

Who is the LD candidate for Cambridge ? Huppert ?

Rod Cantrill. a city councillor and Huppert's former agent
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,249

HYUFD said:

Assuming the Labour candidate in Morley & Outwood isn't an antisemite I'd vote Labour in that seat.
    If you prefer to vote for a Corbyn Labour candidate over a Tory shows you have finally burnt your bridges with the party

You clearly didn’t learn much from this seminar!
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    How many General Elections will need to be held before a House of Commons is elected that's capable of providing a functioning Government? I'm not at all certain that this next one is going to do the trick.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

I see that seminar did not take.....
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

HYUFD said:

You clearly didn’t learn much from this seminar!
    You've got a mind like a Welsh railway, one track and filthy.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,969
    If the election is on a Monday, does the FTPA mean all future elections are on a Monday?

This might be a bigger constitutional change than Brexit.
  • Options

Ken Clarke's retiring..
    Which is a shame, as he will fall six months short of 50 years in the Commons as a result.

It also means if Bolsover doesn’t fall, Skinner will be in charge of the election of a new speaker. That would be fun...
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,249

How many General Elections will need to be held before a House of Commons is elected that's capable of providing a functioning Government? I'm not at all certain that this next one is going to do the trick.

https://twitter.com/SebastianEPayne/status/1189261738027470849
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,780

Every election, no matter how chaotic the outcome, is capable of providing a functioning government. Sadly they are not learning to do what is needed to function when there is no solid majority, and recent experience in some other countries having elections year after year suggest it is not an east thing to learn.
  • Options
    RobD said:

If the election is on a Monday, does the FTPA mean all future elections are on a Monday?

iirc the Act actually specifies a Thursday in May. So will have to be altered.

Once again it seems the drafters of this utter piece of crap didn't imagine the current situation.

• Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901
    Never been less excited about an election.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128
    RobD said:

No:
    "(3)The polling day for each subsequent parliamentary general election is to be the first Thursday in May in the fifth [or fourth] calendar year following that in which the polling day for the previous parliamentary general election fell."
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,283
    MPs now waffling on about anything other than the matter of the amendment
  • Options

So it all comes down to if Corbyn can inspire the troops like he did last time.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

2001 for me, I knew nothing would change,
  • Options

I think he means, ‘are polling much lower.’

If that’s behind, I hate to think what a massive Tory lead would be...
  • Options
    edited October 2019

RobD said:

iirc the Act actually specifies a Thursday in May. So will have to be altered.

Once again it seems the drafters of this utter piece of crap didn't imagine the current situation.

No amendment is necessary. This motion (Bill) has driven a coach thru the act anyway.
  • Options

Labour were actually nearer 30% in early 2017 and not nearer 20% as now and the LDs were on 10% in 2017 compared to 18% now
  • Options
    Chris said:

RobD said:

No:
    "(3)The polling day for each subsequent parliamentary general election is to be the first Thursday in May in the fifth [or fourth] calendar year following that in which the polling day for the previous parliamentary general election fell."
    So to clarify - under this act, the next election would have to be May 2024?
  • Options
    I don't know why the government would, even unofficially concede on the date. See if you can win first, then if you lose say you'll still back the bill.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Ken Clarke's retiring..
    Which is a shame, as he will fall six months short of 50 years in the Commons as a result.

It also means if Bolsover doesn’t fall, Skinner will be in charge of the election of a new speaker. That would be fun...
    Father of the House does that, but Skinner has said he'd refuse that honorific so will that change matters?
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Jonathan said:

Why? Anything could happen based on the campaign.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    The completely different turnout alone we can expect for a December election is surely sufficient to throw everything we already think about the polls, elections etc. out the window, if we weren't planning that anyway.
  • Options
    DanSmithDanSmith Posts: 1,215
    When is the vote on this amendment?
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    kle4 said:

Every election, no matter how chaotic the outcome, is capable of providing a functioning government. Sadly they are not learning to do what is needed to function when there is no solid majority, and recent experience in some other countries having elections year after year suggest it is not an east thing to learn.
    Spain’s going for four in four in november
  • Options
    edited October 2019

ydoethur said:

Ken Clarke's retiring..

Father of the House does that, but Skinner has said he'd refuse that honorific so will that change matters?
    No, because it’s not an honorific. It’s the nickname for the longest serving MP, who takes charge if the role of Speaker is vacant. If he wins, that’s him.

He might choose to have diplomatic toothache or something (albeit that would be out of character). But he can’t say he’s not the longest serving MP.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

I don't know why the government would, even unofficially concede on the date. See if you can win first, then if you lose say you'll still back the bill.

Maybe they have done the sums and see they would lose anyway?
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Flanner said:

HarryF said:

There is zero chance of the LibDems taking Cambridge.

Zeichner is Continuity-Remain.

The Labour Council is (strangely enough) very highly competent.

(I do think the LibDems will find it hard going in the University seats, as every one already has a Barking Remainer Labour MP).
  • Options
    edited October 2019

ydoethur said:

Ken Clarke's retiring..

Not sure it is something one can refuse is it? If he's the MP with the longest continuous service it is what he is, even if he does not want the honourific, and the duty would fall to him. What would he do, refuse to undertake one simple duty? For a man in his late 80s he can be very child like. Because he doesn't like the title they give the longest serving MP he'd refuse to do it?
  • Options

Jonathan said:

2001 was my first election and only time I voted Labour for my sins.

2005 for me, I knew the Tories would lose and didn't think they'd deserve to win after IDS/Howard but held my nose and voted for them as I'd come to really dislike Brown and thought it best the Tories get closer to Labour.

Cameron was the first and only Tory leader of my adult lifetime that I actually liked before Johnson.
  • Options

You mean they might elect a Tory one?
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    HYUFD said:

Labour were actually nearer 30% in early 2017 and not nearer 20% as now and the LDs were on 10% in 2017 compared to 18% now
    By mid-April Labour was really in the 23% - 27% range.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    ydoethur said:

I think he means, ‘are polling much lower.’

If that’s behind, I hate to think what a massive Tory lead would be...
    A much closer initial polling position is also a _good_ thing, because unlike at GE2017 you won't have a bunch of ******* morons voting for Corbyn as a free hit against the Tories and nearly electing him by accident!
  • Options
    I'd think 9/12 would be better for the Tories than 12/12 - closer to NATO Summit if that does give Johnson a boost and gives him 3 extra pre-Christmas days to get Brexit completed in December so we can leave on New Year's Eve.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Jonathan said:

Andrew Rosindell entered Parliament for the first time in 2001 when he gained Romford from Labour, 1 of just 5 Tory gains from Labour that year
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Flanner said:

HarryF said:

(I do think the LibDems will find it hard going in the University seats, as every one already has a Barking Remainer Labour MP).
    I would agree with you, which is why I unwontedly said “holy shit” in front of our 3-year old on seeing the constituency polling earlier.
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,658

Flanner said:

HarryF said:

Far from zero...
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

I'm rarely been more excited - it'll be a bare-knuckle fight of opposing ideologies and personalities that will determine the future direction of the country for decades to come. Real death-or-glory stuff!
  • Options

Flanner said:

HarryF said:

They are still frontmen (people) for a party that has been trying to bail the Tories out on Brexit. I reckon the LDs stand an excellent chance.

Meanwhile Cash is droning on without mentioning the election date. The dep Speaker has given up trying to enforce keeping MPs to the amendment.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Jonathan said:

Because you think Labour are in real trouble?
  • Options

Flanner said:

HarryF said:

I would agree with you, which is why I unwontedly said “holy shit” in front of our 3-year old on seeing the constituency polling earlier.
    I bet Mrs Capitano gave you hell for that! What was the penance, a three hour recital of Graham Kendrick?
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

Flanner said:

HarryF said:

I disagree...think they may do rather well
  • Options
    Fun fact, Erskine May explicitly states that success speakers have declared that the common assumption that the doors of the Commons are shut in Black Rod's face as a sign of the House's right to deny Black Rod entry is incorrect. Apparently its abotu establishing their identity.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

ydoethur said:

nico67 said:

Donald Tusk will be retiring at the end of November .

He will be sadly missed by Remainers .

He was always on our side and passionately believed in all that’s good about working together and being part of that bigger European family .

Donald Tusk was impressive. Hard to imagine his successor will do better.

This lady replacing Juncker, on the other hand, will only have to stand upright without swaying to be a distinct improvement.
    One of the nice little gems from Cameron's memoirs is that both he and Merkel were not keen on Juncker's appointment. Hindsight suggests their misgivings were justified.
    A drunken oaf dismissed as PM of Luxembourg after his security service was caught rigging elections and who made his country a byword for tax fraud might not have been the smart choice? Who would have thought that, eh?

Which begs the question - why did Merkel not block him if she realised this? I suspect she was merely urbanely agreeing with Cameron to his face to try and change his mind, rather than saying what she thought. If she had had misgivings, Juncker would have been discarded faster than a Labour MP caught talking common sense.
    Cameron doesn't elaborate. You have the impression it was internal politics, possibly German, possibly EU, possibly both. She's a pragmatic politician, even more so than Cameron, I should think.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    nichomar said:

Who is the strange woman from labour on ch4 news at the moment?

Gosh perm any from 60 +
  • Options
    ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    There's no danger of the Tories coming through the middle in Cambridge so the people there can vote freely. I think the students could go Lib Dem.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    2001 was a very boring election, except for the fact that turnout tanked from 71% to 59%.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,128
    ydoethur said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

No:
    I think that's right.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    edited October 2019
    AndyJS said:

2001 was a very boring election, except for the fact that turnout tanked from 71% to 59%.

And Prescott's left jab.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    blueblue said:

Jonathan said:

I'm rarely been more excited - it'll be a bare-knuckle fight of opposing ideologies and personalities that will determine the future direction of the country for decades to come. Real death-or-glory stuff!
    Finally something has come along to make the Christmas period interesting.

It's not going to be all just stupid jumpers, endless sales and folk at work looking at you like you're a monster because you don't want to shit up your desk with two miles of tinsel.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Artist said:

There's no danger of the Tories coming through the middle in Cambridge so the people there can vote freely. I think the students could go Lib Dem.

Cambridge goes down on the 29th November.

Edit - actually on checking my source was wrong and it’s the 6th December, but...
  • Options
    timmo said:

Flanner said:

HarryF said:

I haven't forgotten your prediction for Brecon & Radnorshire ("intel") !
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,930
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,794

I'd think 9/12 would be better for the Tories than 12/12 - closer to NATO Summit if that does give Johnson a boost....

All those pictures of Boris with Trump... :)
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

It is remarkable that turnout could tank so dramatically and not change anything.

Also remarkable that it has never recovered in a General Election since. I wouldn't rule out this election having the highest turnout since 1997.
  • Options
    There aren’t any more options .

This Parliament will never endorse a second vote . As a Remainer we’re out of options .

And let’s say the miracle happened who would legislate for it . The Tories wouldn’t and a GNU wasn’t going to happen .

Indeed it could have been worse , the deal will eventually have got over the line.

• Options
    I'm in the mood for a wild prediction. So here goes:

Johnson will lose on 9th December and within days we will have a coalition government led by Starmer, Harmen or Benn.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Artist said:

Cambridge goes down on the 29th November.

Edit - actually on checking my source was wrong and it’s the 6th December, but...
    6th December.

(You are a year out of date).
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    ydoethur said:

Flanner said:

HarryF said:

I bet Mrs Capitano gave you hell for that! What was the penance, a three hour recital of Graham Kendrick?
    She did! But I think the penance would be more likely to be Handel (who she loves, and I don’t... far too diddly-diddly for my taste).
  • Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469

timmo said:

Flanner said:

HarryF said:

And I accepted that was wrong ...and apologised but I believe this time that the lib dems could get well above 50 seats edging to 80.
  • Options
    Artist said:

Cambridge had a Tory MP until 1992
  • Options
    viewcode said:

I'd think 9/12 would be better for the Tories than 12/12 - closer to NATO Summit if that does give Johnson a boost....

What could possibly go wrong!
  • Options
    viewcode said:

Bafflingly, Trump is not necessarily unpopular with the voters Johnson is trying to attract.

It’s like Corbyn hanging out with all those mass murderers. We thought that would damage him, but as they were Irish mass murderers that was OK with Labour voters.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Blair knows a united Remain can get 50%+ in EUref2 but if the Remain vote is split between Labour, the LDs and Greens and SNP under FPTP Boris can deliver a Tory majority and Brexit on just 30%+.
  • Options

Johnson will lose on 9th December and within days we will have a coalition government led by Starmer, Harmen or Benn.

Where in your narrative does Corbyn have the fatal accident?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

This Parliament will never endorse a second vote . As a Remainer we’re out of options .

And let’s say the miracle happened who would legislate for it . The Tories wouldn’t and a GNU wasn’t going to happen .

Indeed it could have been worse , the deal will eventually have got over the line.

Last throw of the dice no other alternatives bring it on.
  • Options
    Chris said:

ydoethur said:

Chris said:

RobD said:

No:
    I think that's right.
    It's dead as a piece of legislation now.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382
    timmo said:

timmo said:

Flanner said:

HarryF said:

And I accepted that was wrong ...and apologised but I believe this time that the lib dems could get well above 50 seats edging to 80.
    My money's on 56+ LD MPs but so much depends on the next six weeks and anything can happen.

• Options
    edited October 2019

ydoethur said:

Flanner said:

HarryF said:

She did! But I think the penance would be more likely to be Handel (who she loves, and I don’t... far too diddly-diddly for my taste).
    All we like sheep have gone astray?
  • Options

Always here for a wild prediction.

I can only see Tory Maj or hung parliament again.

LD to put on votes, but few seats. Tory and Lab collapse again in Scotland.

Ian Murray to win in Edinburgh South.
  • Options
    Amendment goes to division. Sounds like Tories may still oppose it
  • Options
    AnabobazinaAnabobazina Posts: 19,999
    Corbo looks well up for this
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Blair knows a united Remain can get 50%+ in EUref2 but if the Remain vote is split between Labour, the LDs and Greens and SNP under FPTP Boris can deliver a Tory majority and Brexit on just 30%+.
    I see you have given up on the will of the people argument.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    nico67 said:

viewcode said:

What could possibly go wrong!
    Bj = British Trump at that! :unamused:
  • Options
    timmo said:

timmo said:

Flanner said:

HarryF said:

I would urge caution.

First, there has been no scrutiny of the LibDems since their renaissance. We have no idea how Swinson will perform against the kind of media onslaught that both Johnson & Corbyn have faced.

Second, Labour will surely attack ferociously, as they just can't allow the LibDems to get too close or they face being supplanted as the party of the Left. I think Labour will be very hard to dislodge as they will say different things in different constituencies.

I am sure the LibDems won't take Cambridge, and I would be very hawkish on their prospects of taking any seats from Labour other than Hallam.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Artist said:

Cambridge had a Tory MP until 1992
    And never will again
  • Options

Corbo looks well up for this

Well naturally - he can almost smell the sweet, sweet marrow of retirement... :wink:
  • Options
    edited October 2019

Always here for a wild prediction.

I can only see Tory Maj or hung parliament again.

LD to put on votes, but few seats. Tory and Lab collapse again in Scotland.

Ian Murray to win in Edinburgh South.
    Short of something very dramatic, it is extremely hard to see how the Tories do not get enough seats to make it impossible for anyone else to form a government, particularly as nobody is willing to work with Corbyn (and even if they were he’s too tribal to work with them).

So my prediction is, if NOM a further election in twelve months, at which a new Labour leader will be victorious.
  • Options
    If amendment is carried, the Speaker election falls back to post GE. And this week will be a legislative rush.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    I saw a tweet earlier today saying "where's Nigel Farage today, not a peep". Still true this evening as far as I can tell. Thought he was desperate for an election too.

• Options
    nichomar said:

nico67 said:

Last throw of the dice no other alternatives bring it on.
    True , it’s a chance that I didn’t think would happen . I’ve been getting a bit fed up with some MPs who keep peddling the second vote before an election. It’s not going to happen , they need to face reality .
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,981

I saw a tweet earlier today saying "where's Nigel Farage today, not a peep". Still true this evening as far as I can tell. Thought he was desperate for an election too.

In Washington DC
  • Options

timmo said:

timmo said:

Flanner said:

HarryF said:

My money's on 56+ LD MPs but so much depends on the next six weeks and anything can happen.

There is something behind the move for an election by the lib dems, they have just released their second constituency poll in a couple of weeks. Not getting too excited but things could get interesting.
  • Options
    I think the Labour internal polling is right.

They will lose 100 seats, primarily to the Tories.

Boris has a solid majority, drives his Deal through before year end. We leave on 1st January 2020.

Boris becomes a surprisingly liberal PM. And wins over a broad swathe of doubters. Wins easily again in 2023.
  • Options

timmo said:

timmo said:

Flanner said:

HarryF said:

I would urge caution.

First, there has been no scrutiny of the LibDems since their renaissance. We have no idea how Swinson will perform against the kind of media onslaught that both Johnson & Corbyn have faced.

Second, Labour will surely attack ferociously, as they just can't allow the LibDems to get too close or they face being supplanted as the party of the Left. I think Labour will be very hard to dislodge as they will say different things in different constituencies.

I am sure the LibDems won't take Cambridge, and I would be very hawkish on their prospects of taking any seats from Labour other than Hallam.
    Southwark and Vauxhall will likely go LD from Labour, as may Kensington and Battersea, as well as Cambridge and Sheffield Hallam
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Boris has a solid majority, drives his Deal through before year end. We leave on 1st January 2020.

Boris becomes a surprisingly liberal PM. And wins over a broad swathe of doubters. Wins easily again in 2023.

Fantasy land...
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662
    edited October 2019

Edited.
  • Options
    edited October 2019

If Labour lose 100 seats they are likely to be near level with the LDs on voteshare and with even fewer MPs than Foot got in 1983, the next non Tory PM could then be LD not Labour, perhaps Chuka
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    eek said:

In Washington DC
    On a plane back.
  • Options

1983 again for the Labour Party?

So, who will be Neil Kinnock?
This discussion has been closed.