Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So the Letwin amendment gets through by a majority of 16

Comments

• Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438

Scott_P said:

BoZo sacked 21 of his backbenchers, and lost every crucial vote.

He shafted the DUP, and got kneecapped.

What a "winner"...

Ironically he has just united the party and there are only a few now who are on the outside
    DUP and the union under the bus, judges in the dock, moderates purged, business can go fuck itself, a pillar of conservatism our nation needs is crumbling in all this

Are you on the inside?
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,901

kle4 said:

Technically speaking the amendment doesn't require him to send a letter does it, just that the amendment means the Benn Act has not been superceded and so must be complied with by sending a letter? Approving the amendment has that same effect, but was not itself officially about him needing to send any letter?

Am I missing something? We have a deal agreed. Parliament needs to debate this and then vote on it. The Lords is another matter. Can't this be managed by the 31st?

Maybe. But after arguing that a MV was needed to approve a deal parliament now says a MV is not enough. I guess the drafting of the amendment putting a MV in was not as superbly crafted as claimed.
    This is nothing new. Parliament ALWAYS had to approve the legislation. The MW vote was just an extra.
    Yes it had to approve the legislation at some point, but the MV had a purpose, which they've now effectively said it should not have had.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

Sandpit said:

This is what happens when the executive tries to railroad the legislature.

No sympathy whatsoever.

On the contrary, what we’ve been watching is what happens when the legislature tries to railroad the executive.
    That is their job. Parliament was directly elected, not the Government.
    The delicate balance between the roles of legislature and executive has been messed around with by the legislature, aided by a partisan Speaker and a very poorly worded piece of legislation from eight years ago.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    TOPPING said:

DougSeal said:

You sack 21 of your own team and then throw the rather hard nosed people propping up your Government under a bus. Did he really think his posh affable eccentric oaf thing would work on Arlene Foster and a group of people with very little to lose and every reason to hate him viscerally?

imo this all comes down to the border. The one in NI not the Irish Sea. Reality hit Boris like it hit May and everyone else. The UK government simply cannot (imo again) embark upon a path whereby the result could be a hard border in NI. Hence just about anything, and certainly including the actions you described, were preferable to that.
    Yes. That makes sense. But it also means that the U.K., as it is currently constituted, cannot leave the EU, or at least the Customs Union.
  • Options
    numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,488
    Zephyr said:

Scott_P said:
    Surely there arent the numbers regardless? How many of the independent tories prefer a referendum to a deal? And Labour have a fair few who would be against.
    Dream on. This whole thing is being kettled into 2nd ref.
    It’s not going to happen. There aren’t the numbers.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    MikeL said:

I think some media are misinterpreting Boris comment.

He didn't say letter would not be sent.

"Dear EU. I have to write you a letter requesting an extension. This is it. Please consider it, but not too seriously. Yours, BoJo."
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    MikeL said:

Why waste time with another MV?

Surely just get on with the legislation ASAP.

Yes I don't get the sequencing.
  • Options

"And the EU sets the length in any case"

How could it possibly be considered a Surrender Bill?

It is the will of the sovereign elected Parliament.
    sovereign elected Remainer Parliament.

Anyway, when's this Civil War thing happening?
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

No sympathy whatsoever.

On the contrary, what we’ve been watching is what happens when the legislature tries to railroad the executive.
    The delicate balance between the roles of legislature and executive has been messed around with by the legislature, aided by a partisan Speaker and a very poorly worded piece of legislation from eight years ago.
    So? British Governments being constrained by the legislature is only a function of not having a majority. Blame the public if you will.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Why isn’t 2019 for next general election at something like 25 on Betfair? The route to it now looks highly implausible just as a matter of mechanics.
  • Options

You say that like it’s a bad thing.
  • Options

MikeL said:

Exactly. What is hiding in the bill that is so controversial?
    I doubt there's anything controversial that people are not aware of the general intent of it being included, it's just that it will be a much trickier passage to get legislation through than a MV, with amendments on this and that.
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

If Boris ever wins a majority, I hope he stacks the constitutional deck so far in favour of the Tories that the opposition won't see daylight for a hundred years. If one side wants to play silly games, then so can the other.

So how would that work?
    Just wait and see.
    “...I will do such things— What they are, yet I know not, but they shall be. The terrors of the earth!”
    Not so much “never never never never” as “never never never never never”.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,354

Out of 10 on the "catastro-fuck" scale, where are we now?

11. The markets will be interesting on Monday morning.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MikeL said:

I doubt there's anything controversial that people are not aware of the general intent of it being included, it's just that it will be a much trickier passage to get legislation through than a MV, with amendments on this and that.
    But that’s true regardless of whether there is a MV or not.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,272

Either he's playing the word 'negotiate" and having a few hours of childish playabout before sending, or he's really going to go for the martyr option.

Boris is a person who's almost never had to face the consequences of decisions and evaded responsibility across his life, let alone never enduring privations outside his class, so I find it incredibly hard to believe he'd be happy to accept the prison diet and interior design arrangements.
    A pretty-boy-babe-magnet like Boris will go down well at shower time in the Scrubs!
  • Options

You say that like it’s a bad thing.
    It is a very bad thing for a plethora of reasons.
  • Options

Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1185564312888315905

Bercow will rule on Monday whether that is in order or not (Same vote on same thing in same session)

What about that Scots legal decision? Where does Boris stand with that? Are we going to see Lothians Police turning up in Downing Street with a warrant? If so what should the Met do?
    It’s turning into peaky Blinders 🕵🏻‍♂️
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,961
    The real question is - How much will have to offer Ireland to take Northern Ireland off our hands.
  • Options

Why isn’t 2019 for next general election at something like 25 on Betfair? The route to it now looks highly implausible just as a matter of mechanics.

Eh - The tip this morning was 3/1 for December. You guest posters are all over the place.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389

I have just backed UK to leave the EU on/before Oct 31 at 3.85. I think next week we'll get the WAIB and MV4.
  • Options

Eh - The tip this morning was 3/1 for December. You guest posters are all over the place.
    There isn't a site line for them to follow.
  • Options

December is now 2.7, which I guess is the implied odds of the government falling in the next 10 days. Hasn’t that become somewhat more likely after today’s events?
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093

If everyone agrees, it makes for a pretty thin market.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    Pulpstar said:

The real question is - How much will have to offer Ireland to take Northern Ireland off our hands.

How about a Meaningful Vote next week to kick NI out of the UK. I suspect it would get a thumping majority!
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    So are Tories wondering if picking Boris was the right idea after all?
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MikeL said:

It might be as simple as, the bill will make Brexit concrete. It's survived this far by being a blank sheet that the left behind, the global financial elite and Spectator-reading members of golf clubs can unite around. EU membership prevents things they'd like, so Brexit is a step to what they'd like. But a concrete Brexit will please some and not others. Then the votes become harder to win.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

No sympathy whatsoever.

So? British Governments being constrained by the legislature is only a function of not having a majority. Blame the public if you will.
    The public voted for MPs self-described platforms. They can't be blamed for MPs lying to get elected.
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

So all the stuff about just wanting to avoid No Deal was bullshit. After months of demanding a deal, they finally get one and they still keep us in the EU. It is astonishing contempt for the public. The next General Election should rightfully end careers.

All elections end careers. It’s whose careers that’s in question
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    What a clusterfuck our parliament is. Disgraceful lack of care for the populace
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

No sympathy whatsoever.

The public voted for MPs self-described platforms. They can't be blamed for MPs lying to get elected.
    Yawn. Not this nonsense again.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

December is now 2.7, which I guess is the implied odds of the government falling in the next 10 days. Hasn’t that become somewhat more likely after today’s events?
    The government falling does not lead automatically to or is even especially likely to lead to a general election.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,321
    RoyalBlue said:

Boris will send the letter, but it will be unsigned.

That’s an idea. Next time I pay council tax, I’ll forget to sign the cheque. That will obviously mean I’ve dodged my obligation to pay tax.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    He should be removed from office. He demeans and taints it, everyday he clings to office.
    No, we are now in a state of all out war with the diehard Remainers, so Boris has democrats fully behind him in that war.

Go Boris!!! No surrender!!!! Diehard Remainers are the enemies of the people!!!
    So just to check are you in a state of all out war with me? I for the purposes of this discussion consider myself to be a diehard remainer.
    What are the rules of engagement?
    I gave him the option of pistols or swords earlier. My mental image of @HYUFD is of someone who would be quite taken by a good old fashioned duel.
  • Options

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

Then why did Grieve throw a wobbler about it in the first place?
  • Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    blueblue said:

If Boris ever wins a majority, I hope he stacks the constitutional deck so far in favour of the Tories that the opposition won't see daylight for a hundred years. If one side wants to play silly games, then so can the other.

President Putin and fellow travellers sends you warm greetings.
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,016
    blueblue said:

Pulpstar said:

How about a Meaningful Vote next week to kick NI out of the UK. I suspect it would get a thumping majority!
    Tell Nicola she can have Independence, and as bonus, she gets James VI's plantations as well.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

Gabs2 said:

So all the stuff about just wanting to avoid No Deal was bullshit. After months of demanding a deal, they finally get one and they still keep us in the EU. It is astonishing contempt for the public. The next General Election should rightfully end careers.

The utter fools refusing to pass a deal after 3 godawful years. If Boris gets a GE before he gets Brexit, he should use every particle of populism, every carrot, every stick, every damned trick in the book, to sweep them out of Parliament.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

I wonder how much goodwill there is in general to Northern Ireland.

Whatever there is I'm sure its been steadily reducing for decades.

The DUP play a dangerous game when they are dependent upon subsidies from the rest of the UK.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

MikeL said:

Then why did Grieve throw a wobbler about it in the first place?
    Because it removes the safety net preventing no deal.
    Replacing which was the point of the Letwin amendment.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Where's the downside for him? Extension occurs, definitely not his doing, BXP voters don't care he defied the law.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143

blueblue said:

Pulpstar said:

Tell Nicola she can have Independence, and as bonus, she gets James VI's plantations as well.
    A lot of the Brexit mess would have been avoided if the referendum had been on England leaving two Unions - the UK and the EU. It's what English Nationalists want.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Of course Boris was happy to be forced into a general election just a few weeks ago. Why not just sign the letter, get the 3 month extension, get the GE. He's probably in a better place for a GE having tried and failed to pass a deal than not trying for any deal at all.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. Me, the question regarded the UK/EU. Not England.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

DougSeal said:

Gabs2 said:

The utter fools refusing to pass a deal after 3 godawful years. If Boris gets a GE before he gets Brexit, he should use every particle of populism, every carrot, every stick, every damned trick in the book, to sweep them out of Parliament.
    From your moniker I’m assuming you’re a Tory? This Parliament exists as a result of an election your party called and your party made an absolute hash of. Your party. You don’t get to absolve yourself of that responsibility just through a change of leader. You chose all the leaders who have precipitated this mess. It’s all your making.
  • Options

Zephyr said:

Scott_P said:
    Surely there arent the numbers regardless? How many of the independent tories prefer a referendum to a deal? And Labour have a fair few who would be against.
    It becomes the only option left, only use of an extension, Boris’ Wonderful deal v revoke.
    There’s no such thing as remain anymore the word has morphed into revoke and revokers the second Boris published his deal.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,111

blueblue said:

Pulpstar said:

A lot of the Brexit mess would have been avoided if the referendum had been on England leaving two Unions - the UK and the EU. It's what English Nationalists want.
    The route to England joining the Euro passes through the break up of the UK.
  • Options

Sandpit said:

The government falling does not lead automatically to or is even especially likely to lead to a general election.
    Ah, so was that you who took my £20 at 2.9 earlier? ;)
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Where's the downside for him? Extension occurs, definitely not his doing, BXP voters don't care he defied the law.
    His use of the words 'will not negotiate' was designed to wind up the remainers and Joanna Cherry swallowed it

Of course a letter will be sent and as I have previously said I expect our Eu Ambassador to do so at the EU Ambassadors meeting tomorrow
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    edited October 2019
    What a farce. So instead of finally deciding on a deal, the decision is again postponed.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The chances of a 2019 election now look really quite distant now. With the DUP’s shift, there might yet be a fresh referendum before a general election, especially if Parliament gets to get the legislation before approving the deal.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

blueblue said:

DougSeal said:

Gabs2 said:

From your moniker I’m assuming you’re a Tory? This Parliament exists as a result of an election your party called and your party made an absolute hash of. Your party. You don’t get to absolve yourself of that responsibility just through a change of leader. You chose all the leaders who have precipitated this mess. It’s all your making.
    Actually it's all the making of the electorate, who first voted for Brexit one year, then crippled the ability of the Government to implement it the next. Then there's the refusal of the opposition to do anything other than delay, with the result that Brexit can win a referendum, and the Tories an election, but the policy can never reach implementation.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

It will cost Dublin 12billion because that’s is what London gives every year (higher than what it gives EU for membership) so we need to bung them upward of that
  • Options

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    His use of the words 'will not negotiate' was designed to wind up the remainers and Joanna Cherry swallowed it

Of course a letter will be sent and as I have previously said I expect our Eu Ambassador to do so at the EU Ambassadors meeting tomorrow
    Somebody needs to tell the official Conservative twitter account that...
  • Options
    Why are talking about chucking out NI?

It is clear that leaving the EU and the GFA are mutually exclusive.

Time to re-negotiate the GFA
  • Options
    AlistairAlistair Posts: 23,670
    HYUFD said:

Streeter said:
    Just as well you can guarantee we will refuse any indyref2 given the SNP disrespect for democracy
    MPs voting not the way HYUFD wants == disrespecting democracy.
  • Options
    Zephyr said:

Pulpstar said:

It will cost Dublin 12billion because that’s is what London gives every year (higher than what it gives EU for membership) so we need to bung them upward of that
    I think Boris just found a whopping 12 billion in tax cuts for Middle England! :lol:
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Peoples vote showing their true colours harassing Rees moggs young son and screaming in MPs faces
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    RobD said:

What a farce. So instead of finally deciding on a deal, the decision is again postponed.

We have a REMAIN Parliament, until that changes we aren't leaving.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

Zephyr said:

Pulpstar said:

I think Boris just found a whopping 12 billion in tax cuts for Middle England! :lol:
    He's got to pay for them Tazors first.

Odds JBriskinindyref2 gets zapped before "Brexit is done"
    2/1
  • Options

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

The chances of a 2019 election now look really quite distant now. With the DUP’s shift, there might yet be a fresh referendum before a general election, especially if Parliament gets to get the legislation before approving the deal.
    I totally agree with you. Get on 2nd ref before both election and Brexit before it tightens.

Get on brexit never happening before it tightens.

The only betting issue is does confirmatory vote count as 2nd ref in all bets?
  • Options
    blueblue said:

DougSeal said:

blueblue said:

DougSeal said:

Gabs2 said:

Actually it's all the making of the electorate, who first voted for Brexit one year, then crippled the ability of the Government to implement it the next. Then there's the refusal of the opposition to do anything other than delay, with the result that Brexit can win a referendum, and the Tories an election, but the policy can never reach implementation.
    There was no need for the 2017 election. It was your leader’s own hubris that led to it - and the very situation you complain of. That catastrophic mistake followed on from the previous leader of your party failing to plan a route for the country if it voted leave in a binary vote he himself called. And today? Down to your latest leader kicking out 21 of his own party and throwing the DUP under a bus. This whole mess is down to a series of disasterous decisions by your own party’s leadership. Own it.
  • Options

Zephyr said:

Scott_P said:
    Remainers have very little time to agree on something or Boris will manage to pass the WAIB. What else is there?
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,111

Unionist Brexiteers were the proverbial turkeys voting for Christmas.
  • Options
    MikeSmithsonMikeSmithson Posts: 7,382

Don't be bloody silly 4000 people died in the Troubles in Northern Ireland
  • Options
    Well after that time to watch a bit of sport, relax and look forward to the EU Ambassadors meeting tomorrow.

Lots of argy bargy in the meantime but nothing will happen now before tomorrow

If nothing else today has seen the conservative party come closer together and that is the plus for me and why I will rejoin. We have to be a broad church
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Zephyr said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I totally agree with you. Get on 2nd ref before both election and Brexit before it tightens.

Betfair’s wording on its 2nd referendum market says that there needs to be a Remain option on the ballot

“For clarity Yes will be settled as a winner if a Referendum is put to the people where one of the options is to remain a full member of the European Union. The other option/options must offer the alternative option to leave the European Union. This is irrespective of how many options are put on the ballot paper

So does their Referendum or Election first market.

” For the purposes of this market an In/Out referendum is defined as a referendum put to the people where one of the options is to remain a full member of the European Union. The other option/options must offer the alternative option to leave the European Union. This is irrespective of how many options are put on the ballot paper.”
  • Options
    Awb683Awb683 Posts: 80
    Hold firm Boris.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,961

Time for a united Ireland
  • Options
    JBriskinindyref2JBriskinindyref2 Posts: 1,775
    edited October 2019

Unionist Brexiteers were the proverbial turkeys voting for Christmas.
    Not really. It just means it's time to re-negotiate the GFA.

Sorry but UK OK.

It might be breaking up in your dreams - In reality; no.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Peoples vote showing their true colours harassing Rees moggs young son and screaming in MPs faces

There are arseholes on both sides of Brexit. Just ignore them, you give them publicity, which is what they want by acknologing them.

I thought about going on the people' march but the possibility of confrontation by those who want Brexit put me off. Reasoned debate should be the order of the day, not unpleasant confrontation...
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    If I were Boris I'd soothe EU leaders' fears about a no deal Brexit by asking them to reject the extension requested by the Benn act, but say that I'd ask for one if the deal ultimately failed.
  • Options
    Labour Party member Martin Bridgman shared offensive cartoons of Jesus and Mohammed, including ones that alluded to child rape.

At least four of the comic strips were posted on his Facebook page between November 2018 and March 2019, but only uncovered three months ago when a Muslim member of his local Labour party in Ilford, east London, reported them to party officials.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7583189/Labour-Party-member-slammed-Islamophobic-Facebook-posts-Jesus-Mohammed.html
  • Options

That's a bit of a non-sequitur. I'm saying Brexit and GFA are mutually exclusive. Obviously a remainer will choose GFA
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    The Opposition is terrified of an election, terrified of even a simple yes or no vote in Parliament. What exactly does that tell you about their confidence in themselves?
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Zephyr said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

Betfair’s wording on its 2nd referendum market says that there needs to be a Remain option on the ballot

“For clarity Yes will be settled as a winner if a Referendum is put to the people where one of the options is to remain a full member of the European Union. The other option/options must offer the alternative option to leave the European Union. This is irrespective of how many options are put on the ballot paper

” For the purposes of this market an In/Out referendum is defined as a referendum put to the people where one of the options is to remain a full member of the European Union. The other option/options must offer the alternative option to leave the European Union. This is irrespective of how many options are put on the ballot paper.”
    But remain as a term doesn’t exist anymore. When the confirmatory vote is published it will be governments deal v revoke. Revoke will be used not remain.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited October 2019
    No 10 advisor Dominic Cummings is portrayed as a demonic NAZI in giant effigy raised by anti-Brexit mob

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7591337/Dominic-Cummings-portrayed-demonic-NAZI-giant-effigy-raised-anti-Brexit-mob.html

I thought everybody was supposed be toning down this kind of abuse...cos it risks inciting violence and stuff.
  • Options
    logical_songlogical_song Posts: 9,724

.. and is Boris wondering about Cummings?
  • Options
    Zephyr said:

Sandpit said:

Zephyr said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

But remain as a term doesn’t exist anymore. When the confirmatory vote is published it will be governments deal v revoke. Revoke will be used not remain.
    It doesn't literally have to be the word remain.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

Well after that time to watch a bit of sport, relax and look forward to the EU Ambassadors meeting tomorrow.

If nothing else today has seen the conservative party come closer together and that is the plus for me and why I will rejoin. We have to be a broad church

I think you are being over-optimistic on the Conservatives. Great for you, if you feel re-joining is right for you but the party is still split. All that has happened is a harder Brexit is on offer with the new deal...
  • Options
    RobD said:

If I were Boris I'd soothe EU leaders' fears about a no deal Brexit by asking them to reject the extension requested by the Benn act, but say that I'd ask for one if the deal ultimately failed.

What you bet Boris is on the phone now to Macron and Varadkar discussing something similar. Boris has struck up a good relationship with both of them and I expect they will be pivotal in this whole saga
  • Options
    Zephyr said:

Sandpit said:

Zephyr said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

A “confirmatory vote” surely, by definition, has the question “should we progress this deal, yes or no?”
  • Options

RobD said:

What you bet Boris is on the phone now to Macron and Varadkar discussing something similar. Boris has struck up a good relationship with both of them and I expect they will be pivotal in this whole saga
    I would personally be shocked if they haven't already discussed this potential outcome.
  • Options
    Does anyone know where on Earth it takes the longest to get mail to Brussels? Asking for a friend. :)
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

.. and is Boris wondering about Cummings?
    The next opinion polls might give an indication.... I suspect they won't show a Labour landslide!
  • Options

RobD said:

I would personally be shocked if they haven't already discussed this potential outcome.
    The initial reaction to his deal was that it would be tricky for it to be passed, so I'm sure that is true - they are not dumb enough to have believed it would definitely pass, even if they and Boris hoped it would.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

The Opposition is terrified of an election, terrified of even a simple yes or no vote in Parliament. What exactly does that tell you about their confidence in themselves?

Remain fundamentalism is grounded in hatred.

The underlying mentality is "people like them should not be telling people like me what to do".

As an example look at the hatred spewed against Caroline Flint earlier.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

RobD said:

I agree; I think this is why we had the comments from both of them yesterday. Tomorrow might bring forth a few more.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Zephyr said:

Sandpit said:

Zephyr said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

A “confirmatory vote” surely, by definition, has the question “should we progress this deal, yes or no?”
    It's just a name. A misleading one. I call it a second referendum and support it on that basis, not a marketing gimmick of a name.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,136
    Well, I don't think I've ever seen such wild hysteria divorced from reality here.

I'm very much tempted by Betfair's "Meaningful Vote to pass in 2019?" market, currently at 1.41-1.48, on the basis that at the very worst this will happen after a general election, almost certainly this year.

If people can see scenarios where this doesn't happen, I'd be interested to hear the arguments.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Zephyr said:

Sandpit said:

Zephyr said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

It will say progress deal v revoke. Lesson learned these pleblicites need clear outcomes. In your suggestion when result is no what the hell would that mean? 🥴
  • Options

I think you are being over-optimistic on the Conservatives. Great for you, if you feel re-joining is right for you but the party is still split. All that has happened is a harder Brexit is on offer with the new deal...
    Not really.

There are only Grieve, Greening and Bebb who are still rebels and Grieve is not going to be the conservative candidate, Bebb and Greening are not standing, so the party is healing and of course post next GE it will be euro sceptic but hopefully we will be in the transistion phase
  • Options
    PaulMPaulM Posts: 613
    Zephyr said:

Sandpit said:

Zephyr said:

Sandpit said:

Sandpit said:

I'd be confident Shadsy would take that line, but who knows with betfair
  • Options
    blueblue said:

And who’s leader was PM when the FTPA was passed? You helped make the new rules - you can’t complain when someone else uses them to their advantage.
This discussion has been closed.