Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » So the Letwin amendment gets through by a majority of 16

Comments

• Options
    Jonathan said:

I wonder if Boris regrets polarising the debate a few weeks ago. It was too late to play the statesman.

He'd be home free, I suspect, if he'd not played silly buggers. Prorogation and escalating the language was a strategy that destroyed goodwill leading to this, didn't stop the Benn Act, was defeated in the courts, didn't get him an early election, wasn't required in that he got a deal despite the Benn Act, and involved lying to the Queen. Classic Dom.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,082
    Gabs2 said:

Jonathan said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

So where's the constitutional, procedural experts when we need them?

Can Boris send a letter or not send a letter, then pass the legislation required for the deal and then the deal before October 31st in whcih case can the EU, letter or no letter, hold off until it all passes at which point the letter becomes moot?

He has to send the letter. The EU does not need to answer it. Or they could answer it in the negative of course.

Having sent the letter he can try to get the legislation through but I fear the momentum has been lost and that there will be a plethora of amendments such as a second vote, obligations on workers rights and environmental standards etc etc etc which means no bill will in fact be passed by the 31st.

I found that intervention from Letwin vomit inducing. He is not a stupid man. He is therefore a liar.
    Hmm not sure (not about Letwin, plenty of dislike of him from hitherto allies). But about the plethora of amendments. I disagree with it but I can see the logic of getting the legislation in place first. If that occurs then I think Letwin will fall into line for the deal.
    There simply isn’t trust. There is a genuine suspicion that the ERG might melt at the key moment. Now they can’t. This is good.
    If that was the case the amendment could have said "the House approves the deal as soon as all legislation is passed". It didn't. It expressly says approval is withheld. Letwin is lying about all this.
    Why doesn’t the Government just publish the bloody legislation? What are they trying to hide?
  • Options
    JRM says vote will be on monday
  • Options
    nunuone said:

BBC Headline is "MPs back Brexit deal delay"

MPs can say all they like about yes, but no, but yes. That's the headline, I can only imagine what the public think.

The public does not care. They really don’t. They are getting on with their lives happily in the EU. Parliament are doing their job not to mess that up.
    You're wrong.

The public are furious that Parliament is not doing it's job.
    Nah they aren’t. Try reaching out of your own bubble.
  • Options
    Where can I find the full list of MPs
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    He should be removed from office. He demeans and taints it, everyday he clings to office.
    No, we are now in a state of all out war with the diehard Remainers, so Boris has democrats fully behind him in that war.

Go Boris!!! No surrender!!!! Diehard Remainers are the enemies of the people!!!
    HYUFD, the other day people were complimenting you for not being abusive to those you disagree with.

A phrase like “enemies of the people” is abusive at best, incendiary too, and not becoming of you.
    I could not care, it aptly describes the diehard Remainers and if they do not like it tough, they should vote for the Brexit Deal. Enough is enough!!
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Jonathan said:

I wonder if Boris regrets polarising the debate a few weeks ago. It was too late to play the statesman.

He'd be home free, I suspect, if he'd not played silly buggers. Prorogation and escalating the language was a strategy that destroyed goodwill leading to this, didn't stop the Benn Act, was defeated in the courts, didn't get him an early election, wasn't required in that he got a deal despite the Benn Act, and involved lying to the Queen. Classic Dom.
    Quite. He really screwed up. He lost trust by playing games.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:
    He should be removed from office. He demeans and taints it, everyday he clings to office.
    No, we are now in a state of all out war with the diehard Remainers, so Boris has democrats fully behind him in that war.

HYUFD, the other day people were complimenting you for not being abusive to those you disagree with.

A phrase like “enemies of the people” is abusive at best, incendiary too, and not becoming of you.
    I could not care, it aptly describes the diehard Remainers and if they do not like it tough, they should vote for the Brexit Deal. Enough is enough!!
    If you don’t like it, tough.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    Streeter said:
    Just as well you can guarantee we will refuse any indyref2 given the SNP disrespect for democracy
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So just to check are you in a state of all out war with me? I for the purposes of this discussion consider myself to be a diehard remainer.
    What are the rules of engagement?
    Handbags at dawn.
    More like keyboards throughout waking hours.
    Depends. I object quite strongly to some of the language used. Now we are on an internet chat room and all should be fine but for some reason some of the language used I believe needs calling on. I'm not sure there should be free passes because we could of course just say "oh that's just HYUFD being HYUFD" but I think given past events where similar language has been used, one has to draw the line. Perhaps I'm overreacting.

And happy to translate to real life any moment anyone wants.
    I think using the language of being "at all out war" is wholly inappropriate and disgraceful. I am unsure if the best response is mockery or complaining.
  • Options
    MexicanpeteMexicanpete Posts: 25,272
    nunuone said:

MPs can say all they like about yes, but no, but yes. That's the headline, I can only imagine what the public think.

The public does not care. They really don’t. They are getting on with their lives happily in the EU. Parliament are doing their job not to mess that up.
    You're wrong.

No we are not, we just want it done properly in order to give us a post Brexit arrangement that secures manufacturing, the NHS and a short immigration queue at a Spanish airport come the summer.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

Streeter said:
    Just as well you can guarantee we will refuse any indyref2 given the SNP disrespect for democracy
    I’ll drive at 5mph up the A1 so your tanks can’t reach Edinburgh.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Can Boris send a letter or not send a letter, then pass the legislation required for the deal and then the deal before October 31st in whcih case can the EU, letter or no letter, hold off until it all passes at which point the letter becomes moot?

He has to send the letter. The EU does not need to answer it. Or they could answer it in the negative of course.

Having sent the letter he can try to get the legislation through but I fear the momentum has been lost and that there will be a plethora of amendments such as a second vote, obligations on workers rights and environmental standards etc etc etc which means no bill will in fact be passed by the 31st.

I found that intervention from Letwin vomit inducing. He is not a stupid man. He is therefore a liar.
    Hmm not sure (not about Letwin, plenty of dislike of him from hitherto allies). But about the plethora of amendments. I disagree with it but I can see the logic of getting the legislation in place first. If that occurs then I think Letwin will fall into line for the deal.
    No need to debate it - he has said plainly that he will.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    BoZo sacked 21 of his backbenchers, and lost every crucial vote.

He shafted the DUP, and got kneecapped.

What a "winner"...
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,184
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

So, what would your message be to the Diehard Remainers on this site? I’m an EFTA/EEA man at heart myself but, forced to choose (as your party has made me do) I’m a Diehard Remainer. So what next?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,389
    The stated aim of Letwin is to pass the WAIB and then have a MV4. I don't see why this can't happen next week.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,235
    edited October 2019
    HYUFD said:

Streeter said:
    'We definitely won't give you the indyref2 that we definitely weren't going to give you previously. Take that!'
  • Options

Jonathan said:

Yes, the appointment of Cummings was a disaster - completely poisoned everything and destroyed trust. The weird things is that we were told that Boris could achieve great things on his own through his charisma and sheer force of personality. So why the need for some destructive backroom geek? Silly.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Letwin is a privileged fuckwit who thinks he's a genius, thinks he is born to rule and has an ego which he likes to be stoked.

He is therefore a useful fuckwit for more intelligent and ruthless people.

Why the Conservative party has never dispensed with his services is a mystery while his prominence is also an indictment of what safe seats can bring.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited October 2019
    nunuone said:

You're wrong.

Ah, Groundhog Day with Brexiters' idea of "The public" again.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,134
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,035
    Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1185564312888315905

Bercow will rule on Monday whether that is in order or not (Same vote on same thing in same session)

What about that Scots legal decision? Where does Boris stand with that? Are we going to see Lothians Police turning up in Downing Street with a warrant? If so what should the Met do?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

Tomorrow’s front pages are going to be brutal for MPs.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

What a "winner"...

Ironically he has just united the party and there are only a few now who are on the outside
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,865

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Letwin is a privileged fuckwit who thinks he's a genius, thinks he is born to rule and has an ego which he likes to be stoked.

Why the Conservative party has never dispensed with his services is a mystery while his prominence is also an indictment of what safe seats can bring.
    Just remember I was in the Letwin = a total moron camp before it was fashionable. ;)
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Surely there arent the numbers regardless? How many of the independent tories prefer a referendum to a deal? And Labour have a fair few who would be against.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    How about a border referendum as well ?

Perhaps one after government spending on NI has been reduced to English levels.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Has much happened today? I’ve been busy.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1185567106374479873

Another classic Dom wheeze about to crash and burn...

From bean to cup, he has fucked up.

If BoZo really wanted to get his deal through, he would sack Dom live on the news
  • Options

Scott_P said:

What a "winner"...

Ironically he has just united the party and there are only a few now who are on the outside
    It only needs a few. That is the whole point!!!
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    Out of 10 on the "catastro-fuck" scale, where are we now?
  • Options

Two quick tries set up the game.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,915
    Scott_P said:

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsBreak/status/1185564312888315905

Bercow will rule on Monday whether that is in order or not (Same vote on same thing in same session)

Can't he just tell us now?

But since the amendment changed it from a MV into not a MV, surely that's acceptable?

And in any case if there are the votes for it, there is always the suspend standing orders to allow it move, which the Letwins and Benns of the world have used for their own shenanigans.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:

What a "winner"...

I am resigned to Brexit happening before 31st October. However one last humiliation of Johnson whose theatrical framing of 'Super Saturday' with full coverage on BBC1 to enjoy the full impact of his expected victory was joyous.

Johnson's moment will come, and soon, but it wasn't on the first Saturday Parliament has sat since the Falklands War. Huzzah for that!
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited October 2019
    So, 306 voted with govt today.

For the MV they can hope to bring on boards these from the abstentions:
    Leigh, Spelman, Champion, Onn. Maybe Cooper and Milton?

....and from today's yes votes:
    Boles, Clarke, Gauke, Letwin, Lloyd, Rudd, Sandbach.
    +poss few more Lab (eg Smeeth and Snell voted for Letwin, but said they would vote for the deal). Stringer?

Guessing not Greening, though I don't think she's said it outright. Hammond I have no idea, he seems to be absolutely on the edge.

That makes 317 plus the unknowns. 318 is needed to pass (remember the tellers).

• Options
    TOPPING said:

Scott_P said:

What a "winner"...

It only needs a few. That is the whole point!!!
    To be honest I was thinking more towards a GE then this vote

I am about to rejoin as the party re-unites
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

Just remember I was in the Letwin = a total moron camp before it was fashionable. ;)
    I've been there for years.

To me its incredible that such an obvious fuckwit was not sent packing over a decade ago.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    TOPPING said:

Australia are a waning force. Can’t read too much into it, but encouraging.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    What would be the point of tabling a MV on Monday? It will just get amended again with the same outcome
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Australia are a waning force. Can’t read too much into it, but encouraging.
    New Zealand world cup to lose. They were in a different universe against Ireland.
  • Options
    Things are looking bad. I see Boris's admirers are clinging to the imagined headline of tomorrow's Mail on Sunday like a comfort blanket.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Can't he just tell us now?

But since the amendment changed it from a MV into not a MV, surely that's acceptable?

And in any case if there are the votes for it, there is always the suspend standing orders to allow it move, which the Letwins and Benns of the world have used for their own shenanigans.

I think he subsequently has.

Looks a No from Bercow
  • Options
    Andrew said:

So, 306 voted with govt today.

For the MV they can hope to bring on boards these from the abstentions:
    Leigh, Spelman, Champion, Onn. Maybe Cooper and Milton?

....and from today's yes votes:
    Boles, Clarke, Gauke, Letwin, Lloyd, Rudd, Sandbach.

Guessing not Greening, though I don't think she's said it outright. Hammond I have no idea, he seems to be absolutely on the edge.

That makes 317 plus the unknowns.

That’s fine. So why won’t the government just publish the bill?
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,962

Parliament reaffirmed why Leave won
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Someone managed to get the member for Sheffield Hallam to vote, then. I had assumed he was a nailed-on abstention.
  • Options
    alex. said:

What would be the point of tabling a MV on Monday? It will just get amended again with the same outcome

Agreed. It needs an answer from the EU
  • Options
    isam said:

Racist and xenophobic close-minded lies? You’ve been watching a different Parliament to me.
  • Options
    blueblueblueblue Posts: 875
    If Boris ever wins a majority, I hope he stacks the constitutional deck so far in favour of the Tories that the opposition won't see daylight for a hundred years. If one side wants to play silly games, then so can the other.
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    blueblue said:

If Boris ever wins a majority, I hope he stacks the constitutional deck so far in favour of the Tories that the opposition won't see daylight for a hundred years. If one side wants to play silly games, then so can the other.

So how would that work?

I see the Brexiteers are openly supportive of Fascism now. I guess it was just a matter of time.
  • Options

blueblue said:

So how would that work?
    Just wait and see.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

blueblue said:

So how would that work?
    Just wait and see.
    At least you’re honest about your fascism.
    This was never about “democracy” was it?
  • Options
    Clever words. Not negotiating is not the same as not sending the letter
  • Options
    isam said:

It was Parliament. Not the Board of Directors at Morgan Stanley.
  • Options

This is what happens when the executive tries to railroad the legislature.

No sympathy whatsoever.

On the contrary, what we’ve been watching is what happens when the legislature tries to railroad the executive.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,184
    You sack 21 of your own team and then throw the rather hard nosed people propping up your Government under a bus. Did he really think his posh affable eccentric oaf thing would work on Arlene Foster and a group of people with very little to lose and every reason to hate him viscerally?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    Sandpit said:

No sympathy whatsoever.

On the contrary, what we’ve been watching is what happens when the legislature tries to railroad the executive.
    That is their job. Parliament was directly elected, not the Government.
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758

kle4 said:

This afternoon Parliament approved a Deal

And that is where you are wrong. Boris seems to have been quite clear that a chance for a MV has been missed, and without a MV no approval has occurred.
    I am just working on what is being reported on here. If it has not been passed as people are saying then of course it is different.
    sent you a PM
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Am I missing something? We have a deal agreed. Parliament needs to debate this and then vote on it. The Lords is another matter. Can't this be managed by the 31st?
  • Options
    edited October 2019
    blueblue said:

I don't quite see how you get from one side playing silly games to thinking that stacking the constitutional deck in favour of one party is a proportionate and reasonable response. I think Letwin was dishonest about the effect of his amendment, I think it negated the purpose of the original motion, but moving amendments is not exactly constitutional tinkering to give partisan advantage, as you are suggesting.

To borrow a phrase I am fond of, just because I am in the wrong when I stand on your toe deliberately, that doesnt mean you are justified to punch me in the face.
  • Options

There is no negotiation required so it is meaningless.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

blueblue said:

So how would that work?
    Just wait and see.
    So the Tories still hold a commanding lead in seats on 10% of the vote? Hmm? That would make Putin's Russia look like a democracy?
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,330

blueblue said:

So how would that work?

I see the Brexiteers are openly supportive of Fascism now. I guess it was just a matter of time.
    Really? That comment sounded quite hostile towards Corbyn.
  • Options

Exactly. The bill does not requires him to negotiate a dealy, just request one.

And the EU sets the length in any case
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438

nunuone said:

You're wrong.

No we are not, we just want it done properly in order to give us a post Brexit arrangement that secures manufacturing, the NHS and a short immigration queue at a Spanish airport come the summer.
    I agree that’s the public. Even leavers get bored and just switch off.

The papers in a different place, I think they would say the treaty of Versailles is a good deal in current mood.

And that sums it up as history books probably will. The treaty of Versailles proved to be a WW2 stoking disaster. Tory’s don’t realise what’s getting destroyed in this beat the remainers with any Brexit craze, DUP and the union under the bus, judges in the dock, moderates purged, business can go fuck itself, a pillar of conservatism our nation needs is crumbling in all this 😟😕🙁
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    Why waste time with another MV?

Surely just get on with the legislation ASAP.
  • Options

Am I missing something? We have a deal agreed. Parliament needs to debate this and then vote on it. The Lords is another matter. Can't this be managed by the 31st?

Letwin is waiting for the Government to publish the bill. We all are.
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,290
    I think some media are misinterpreting Boris comment.

He didn't say letter would not be sent.
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Isn’t the issue with the Queen’s Speech, which needs to pass before any other Bills can be moved?
  • Options
    CharlesCharles Posts: 35,758
    Andrew said:

This might be a stupid question but what happens if there's an amendment on Monday the Government don't like?

Vote it down? :-)

Guessing a referendum amendment would fail, but a permanent UK customs union maybe? More months of negotiations needed, and multi-month extension also.
    I thought the Beeb earlier said that they couldn't amend the substance of the deal as part of the WAIB?
  • Options
    MikeL said:

Exactly. What is hiding in the bill that is so controversial?
  • Options
    Technically speaking the amendment doesn't require him to send a letter does it, just that the amendment means the Benn Act has not been superceded and so must be complied with by sending a letter? Approving the amendment has that same effect, but was not itself officially about him needing to send any letter?

Maybe. But after arguing that a MV was needed to approve a deal parliament now says a MV is not enough. I guess the drafting of the amendment putting a MV in was not as superbly crafted as claimed.
  • Options
    "And the EU sets the length in any case"

How could it possibly be considered a Surrender Bill?
  • Options

blueblue said:

blueblue said:

So how would that work?
    Just wait and see.
    At least you’re honest about your fascism.
    This was never about “democracy” was it?
    I voted Remain, but I want to see Brexit concluded by passing this deal. When individual moronic MPs can wreck even the basic concept of a yes or no vote and the Speaker is essential the "MP for Remainia", then something drastic has to change.

Like I say, I hope the next Tory PM with a majority remembers ever single one of these contemptible tricks and repays them a thousandfold.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited October 2019

UK: "Give us an extension please"
    EC: "For what purpose? This is getting pretty ***ing annoying"
    UK: .....silence.....
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

You sack 21 of your own team and then throw the rather hard nosed people propping up your Government under a bus. Did he really think his posh affable eccentric oaf thing would work on Arlene Foster and a group of people with very little to lose and every reason to hate him viscerally?

imo this all comes down to the border. The one in NI not the Irish Sea. Reality hit Boris like it hit May and everyone else. The UK government simply cannot (imo again) embark upon a path whereby the result could be a hard border in NI. Hence just about anything, and certainly including the actions you described, were preferable to that.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited October 2019
    Either he's playing the word 'negotiate" and having a few hours of childish playabout before sending, or he's really going to go for the martyr option.

Boris is a person who's almost never had to face the consequences of decisions and evaded responsibility across his life, let alone never enduring privations outside his class, so I find it incredibly hard to believe he'd be happy to accept the prison diet and interior design arrangements.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    MikeL said:

I think some media are misinterpreting Boris comment.

He didn't say letter would not be sent.

Indeed, he just wont negotiate or seek to persuade the EU to accept a delay,and will state government policy
  • Options

It is the will of the sovereign elected Parliament.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

On the amendment? Probably not. But he still might have the votes to get the legislation through, so he might still win out, making the point redundant.
  • Options

Do you mean the UK government cannot tell the EU it will not support an extension and if so that is not true

• Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    Sandpit said:

No sympathy whatsoever.

Which would be a valid point in a full separation of powers system, such as the US. In a Parliamentary system, the legislature is supposed to be supreme over the executive. (The clue is in the name “Parliamentary system”.)
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438

Scott_P said:
    Surely there arent the numbers regardless? How many of the independent tories prefer a referendum to a deal? And Labour have a fair few who would be against.
    Dream on. This whole thing is being kettled into 2nd ref.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Technically speaking the amendment doesn't require him to send a letter does it, just that the amendment means the Benn Act has not been superceded and so must be complied with by sending a letter? Approving the amendment has that same effect, but was not itself officially about him needing to send any letter?

Maybe. But after arguing that a MV was needed to approve a deal parliament now says a MV is not enough. I guess the drafting of the amendment putting a MV in was not as superbly crafted as claimed.
    This is nothing new. Parliament ALWAYS had to approve the legislation. The MW vote was just an extra.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    blueblue said:

blueblue said:

So how would that work?
    Just wait and see.
    “...I will do such things— What they are, yet I know not, but they shall be. The terrors of the earth!”
  • Options
    Andrew said:

UK: "Give us an extension please"
    EC: "For what purpose? This is getting pretty ***ing annoying"
    UK: .....silence.....
    The purpose is listed in the letter.
  • Options

It's got nothing to do with the bill.

It's Article 50
  • Options
    RoyalBlueRoyalBlue Posts: 3,223
    Boris will send the letter, but it will be unsigned.
  • Options
    blueblue said:

blueblue said:

So how would that work?
    Just wait and see.
    Perhaps Boris could burn down the Palace of Westminster, frame Dominic Grieve then have all his political opponents arrested. That sounds like your cup of tea.
  • Options

Do you mean the UK government cannot tell the EU it will not support an extension and if so that is not true

What are you on about? The letter is from the UK government asking for an extension. Anything else will be challenged in the courts.
  • Options
    RoyalBlue said:

Boris will send the letter, but it will be unsigned.

Literally does not matter.
This discussion has been closed.