Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The betting markets respond to Johnson’s Charles the First Mov

Comments

• Options
    isamisam Posts: 41,005
    edited August 2019

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

Well done to Boris. The behaviour of the MPs trying to suffocate the public into Remain because they lost the referendum meant something drastic was needed to explode the impasse. The refusal to listen to those left behind by those who do well out of the status quo was the entire reason Leave won. They never learn.

Those MPs were elected by the people in 2017. If Boris doesn't like it he should call an election.
    They were elected on the promise of respecting the referendum result
    Who was? Not the Lib Dems. Not the SNP. Not the Green Party. Not Plaid Cymru.

If you mean the Labour Party, they were elected to implement their version of a soft Brexit. Not any old Brexit. Certainly not no deal.
    Sad
    What did I say that was untrue or incorrect?
    I feel for you, but I don’t think I love you
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578
    edited August 2019

The key comments so far seem to me to be the anti-Brexit but anti-Corbyn rebels (not least Grieve) who are starting to switch to backing a VONC instead of pursuing new legislation. If that gathers steam then Johnson could be out by the end of next week, irrespective of what happens then.

But this isn’t true. I’ve just been reading the FTPA (how tragic is that. In the Greek sunshine)

Boris does not have to resign, immediately, after a VONC. It’s just a convention. He can sit tight and call an election for a date after Brexit Halloween.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Jonathan said:

Boris has put the Queen in an impossible position, the one thing you are not supposed to do.

Regardless of what side of the Brexit argument your on, that surely is a mistake. Possibly a career ending mistake.

Not really, because Boris is going to lose the vote next week and there'll be an election or a caretaker PM. That's all part of his plan.
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,168

Johnson risks paying a high political price for this without receiving any political benefit because even this kind of gesture doesn't change the substance.

Oh it does, provided he delivers Brexit Boris almost certainly wins the next general election, if he does not he won't
  • Options
    not_on_firenot_on_fire Posts: 4,341
    Byronic said:

The key comments so far seem to me to be the anti-Brexit but anti-Corbyn rebels (not least Grieve) who are starting to switch to backing a VONC instead of pursuing new legislation. If that gathers steam then Johnson could be out by the end of next week, irrespective of what happens then.

But this isn’t true. I’ve just been reading the FTPA (how tragic is that. In the Greek sunshine)

Boris does not have to resign. It’s just a convention. He can sit tight and call an election for a date after Brexit Halloween.
    Not if he is replaced by a GONU, or the FTPA is subsequently amended
  • Options
    JohnLilburneJohnLilburne Posts: 6,017

DavidL said:

Let's assume for the moment that the proposed application for interim interdict doesn't succeed. Let's assume that Parliament convenes next week and a VONC is moved and passed. Do Labour support a motion for instant dissolution of Parliament or do we wait 14 days? Surely it has to be instant if we are to have an election before 31st October. Furthermore how does dissolution and the FTPA interact? How can you have a vote of confidence if Parliament isn't sitting? I think that it is at least implied that Parliament is sitting for those 14 days.

If parliament has taken control of the agenda, is it possible for them to first pass a change to the FTPA then a VONC?
    I did wonder about this last month. It only takes a simple majority to revoke the FTPA so itbis easier to do that than actually get an election passed. .
    I'd supposed the issue was who could propose that change to the FTPA. Wouldn't it be for the Govt. to propose such changes? How does the Opposition bring it about?
    With a minority Government, the House of Commons can take back responsibility for its own business, and then someone tables a Bill repealing the FTPA.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 28,016
    Jonathan said:

Boris has put the Queen in an impossible position, the one thing you are not supposed to do.

Regardless of what side of the Brexit argument your on, that surely is a mistake. Possibly a career ending mistake.

Must say I find this rather moot. She is paid, put up in great luxury, honoured and respected around the world.
    All because, as Head of State, this is her job. To decide precisely these things.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002

I think Boris has announced this move now because he wants the remain actors in parliament to move against him before the actual point of no return for Brexit. I'd discounted a GE in October as a possibility yesterday, I think it is back on potentially now.
  • Options
    ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Byronic said:

Boris does not have to resign. It’s just a convention. He can sit tight and call an election for a date after Brexit Halloween.
    Not if he is replaced by a GONU, or the FTPA is subsequently amended
    I don’t think that’s true if he just sits in number 10, promising to call a vote. After Brexit.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Gabs2 said:

eek said:

Gabs2 said:

Byronic said:

Wild prediction: the VONC will succeed, Boris will fall, there will be an A50 extension under a caretaker government, probably Corbyn. At the ensuing GE Boris will win, but he will be promising... what?

There my clairvoyant skills expire.

With a VONC, Boris will call a new election and remain as Prime Minister. So no extension and No Deal.
    Boris doesn't call a new election - he can't do that under the FTPA.
    A new election is called by the VONC, with a 14 day waiting period, unless a VOC happens. Boris not resigning and not recommending a successor means there is no alternative government to get a VOC.
    Gabs2 said:

eek said:

Gabs2 said:

Byronic said:

Wild prediction: the VONC will succeed, Boris will fall, there will be an A50 extension under a caretaker government, probably Corbyn. At the ensuing GE Boris will win, but he will be promising... what?

With a VONC, Boris will call a new election and remain as Prime Minister. So no extension and No Deal.
    Boris doesn't call a new election - he can't do that under the FTPA.
    A new election is called by the VONC, with a 14 day waiting period, unless a VOC happens. Boris not resigning and not recommending a successor means there is no alternative government to get a VOC.
    That would clearly be something the courts could prevent. Quite apart from it going completely against the schema of the legislation, if that were permissible a Prime Minister would not need to resign after losing a general election and could instead force endless elections, clinging to office.
  • Options
    isam said:

Oh god are we now going to get the borefest of a signature count update every 15mins ala the clarkson one and the last anti-brexit one.

1.01 weighed in

https://twitter.com/spajw/status/1166685640781705216?s=21

You actually follow me on Twitter. Hilarious.

• Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,286
    Jonathan said:

Yes, I get a lot of "the Liberal Democrats are neither Liberal nor Democratic" from braying Tories, but any idea that they are "conservative" is laughable. They are playing with fire.

Personally I do not forgive the crap that has been served up to us over the past four years, we have gone from "easiest deal in history" to "only a "no deal" is the "will of the people"" . The insults from Leavers: from "Remoaners", "Saboteurs", to "citizens of nowhere", at no stage have the hard leavers ever tried to offer a compromise.

I think a lot of reasonable people have finally had their patience exhausted. Nye Bevan once protested that he had not said that Tories were "vermin", when he had actually said they were "lower than vermin"... I think the majority view here could well be "F*** you Tories, this is where you get off".

Certainly, this attempted coup deserves severe punishment.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 92,054

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    Hard to see how they retain credibility or dignity if they dont, given those comments.
    Let's see. Red boxes. Chauffer driven cars......
    The allure is strong and politicians are adept at justifying a u-turn, often for good reasons.

But they were so set against, it would take heroic effort to self justify.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

The SNP’s position confuses me, here.

They are, apparently, fighting tooth and nail against No Deal Brexit.

Which is fair enough. But how does that square with their independence campaign, if they ever get a 2nd referendum?

“Vote YES for an instant No Deal Scottish exit: from the United Kingdom AND the EU!”

That seems quite a hard sell, in the circs

Wings over Scotland now saying UK Leave vote must be respected but Scots should seek independence from a post Brexit UK

https://wingsoverscotland.com/coup-versus-coup/
    You earlier said that Boris was right to prorogue parliament as it had thwarted the will of the people over Brexit. Boris said in his interview that it was nothing to do with Brexit, it was to push forward his domestic agenda.

Which of you is right?
    Both.

Parliament would be prorogued until after an EU council meeting that may have agreed a technical solution for the Irish border and an amended Withdrawal Agreement, then a Queens speech for Boris' domestic agenda and no time to stop No Deal by October 31st if No amended Deal agreed
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,990
    Have I missed much? :smiley:
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,095
    Scott_P said:
    What on earth was Corbyn doing all morning? His gardening?
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144
    AndyJS said:

Can we just stop all the dicking around for the next two months and just get to the GE.

Good idea. I could get my target lists ready.
    You may have to go down the columns to a quite unusual extent....
  • Options

isam said:

Oh god are we now going to get the borefest of a signature count update every 15mins ala the clarkson one and the last anti-brexit one.

1.01 weighed in

I actually don’t. Mildly amusing
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 19,008
    isam said:

Well done to Boris. The...

Welcome back.

• Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Well done to Boris. The behaviour of the MPs trying to suffocate the public into Remain because they lost the referendum meant something drastic was needed to explode the impasse. The refusal to listen to those left behind by those who do well out of the status quo was the entire reason Leave won. They never learn.

Those MPs were elected by the people in 2017. If Boris doesn't like it he should call an election.

The majority of the votes cast went to parties that rejected a No Deal Brexit.

• Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    edited August 2019
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

Good to see you posting again, Sam. And agree wholeheartedly. The fact that our society could be as heartless as to leave behind Jacob Rees-Mogg is one of our national disgraces.
    How bored must I be?
    Rubbish, man - it's the stuff of life. Plus we need someone on here who tells us the real reason why the UK voted for Brexit (foreigners) rather than the claptrap spouted by the petit bourgeoisie (sovereignty).
  • Options

Which may have been his plan, risky though it is. This does look like a pushback at the plan announced yesterday.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    HYUFD said:

Johnson risks paying a high political price for this without receiving any political benefit because even this kind of gesture doesn't change the substance.

Oh it does, provided he delivers Brexit Boris almost certainly wins the next general election, if he does not he won't
    But I thought he was delivering Brexit anyway, so what does a 5 week prorogation change?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Byronic said:

You on your third bottle Sean? :D
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

1.01 weighed in

Yeah, of course. Ha, ha!

• Options
    HYUFD said:

Hello @HYUFD. You are becoming something of the resident seer, having predicted it right since May fell. You were banging on about prorogation last night, to much scepticism.
    So, O Wise One. What happens next?
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 25,028
    It's worth repeating this that just appeared on my timeline.
    https://twitter.com/JackWDart/status/1166384551251386368

The idea that No Deal finishes this once and for all is for the birds.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

But I thought he was delivering Brexit anyway, so what does a 5 week prorogation change?
    It stops Parliament trying to force another extension beyond October 31st
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD

I wrote earlier to say I owed you an apology for doubting your prediction yesterday that Boris would prorogue parliament. You are right and I was wrong and well done on being so correct on this one
  • Options
    Gabs2 said:

Scott_P said:
    For all that I disagree with Boris doing this, Major is the last person who should be criticising him since he used the same tactic to avoid nothing more than personal and party embarrassment.
    How long did he do it for? Was there a legal challenge back then?
    6 weeks and No

That said it is still the wrong thing for Boris to do. I am just pointing out Major's hypocrisy
  • Options
    RobD said:

Just the restart of the English Civil War! :D
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

Byronic said:

The SNP’s position confuses me, here.

They are, apparently, fighting tooth and nail against No Deal Brexit.

Which is fair enough. But how does that square with their independence campaign, if they ever get a 2nd referendum?

“Vote YES for an instant No Deal Scottish exit: from the United Kingdom AND the EU!”

That seems quite a hard sell, in the circs

Wings over Scotland now saying UK Leave vote must be respected but Scots should seek independence from a post Brexit UK

https://wingsoverscotland.com/coup-versus-coup/
    You earlier said that Boris was right to prorogue parliament as it had thwarted the will of the people over Brexit. Boris said in his interview that it was nothing to do with Brexit, it was to push forward his domestic agenda.

Which of you is right?
    Both.

Parliament would be prorogued until after an EU council meeting that may have agreed a technical solution for the Irish border and an amended Withdrawal Agreement, then a Queens speech for Boris' domestic agenda and no time to stop No Deal by October 31st if No amended Deal agreed
    You can't both be because that's not what Boris said. Boris said it was nothing to do with Brexit. You said it was precisely because of Brexit. One of you is a lying twat and you know what, @HYUFD, as one of your big fans on here I can tell you that I don't think it's you.
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,847
    Looking at the petition map is quite interesting... the Remain redoubts of Oxford, Cambridge, Brighton, and er... Truro and Ceredigion seem to be leading the charge.
  • Options
    Anyone know what the earliest possible date for a general election is?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

Must say I find this rather moot. She is paid, put up in great luxury, honoured and respected around the world.
    All because, as Head of State, this is her job. To decide precisely these things.
    But our system is an odd one, it is not precisely her job to decide these things even if the rules technically say that is the job. It's her job to decide so long as she never actually has to decide.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,459
    edited August 2019

Is it okay to talk about "war" then now?

It is a period of civil war. REMAINER spaceships, striking from a hidden base, have won their first victory against the evil TORY EMPIRE.

During the battle, Remainer spies managed to steal secret plans to the Tories' ultimate weapon, the PROROGATION, an armoured space station with enough power to destroy an entire parliamentary session!

Pursued by the Tories’ sinister agents, Princess Anna Heidi Jo races home aboard her starship, custodian of the stolen plans that can save her people and restore freedom of movement to the CONTINENT…
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

Good to see you posting again, Sam. And agree wholeheartedly. The fact that our society could be as heartless as to leave behind Jacob Rees-Mogg is one of our national disgraces.
    How bored must I be?
    Rubbish, man - it's the stuff of life. Plus we need someone on here who tells us the real reason why the UK voted for Brexit (foreigners) rather than the claptrap spouted by the petit bourgeoisie (sovereignty).
    No it is futile and I’d say a hinderance to happiness.

The reason wasn’t foreigners, it was unsolicited changes to the living conditions and the labour market of the poorest in the UK imposed by our government plus their refusal to listen/vitriolic response to feedback
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,881

HYUFD said:

HYUFD

I wrote earlier to say I owed you an apology for doubting your prediction yesterday that Boris would prorogue parliament. You are right and I was wrong and well done on being so correct on this one
    Have You Underestimated Futurologists' Dexterity?
  • Options
    PClippPClipp Posts: 2,138

Scott_P said:
    For all that I disagree with Boris doing this, Major is the last person who should be criticising him since he used the same tactic to avoid nothing more than personal and party embarrassment.
    I think Sir John Major is a bit older and wiser now.

And the bastards are in the ascendent.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,147
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

It stops Parliament trying to force another extension beyond October 31st
    Except it doesn't.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

Watch. The. Polling......
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    There seems to be some doublethink from leavers like Hannan or Zac Goldsmith defending the prorogation on grounds that it is perfectly normal and bog standard. Is the prorogation designed to go over the head of parliament, in which case it is a constitutional crisis, or is it just a standard procedure in which case why make it 5 weeks? And if Parliament is supposedly not listening to the "people" (the people being no deal cultists, because we even have leave voters on here who do not support no deal) why not simply say he wants an election, why go through this skullduggery of suspending parliament first?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

October 10th if called on September 4th by a 2/3rds vote of Parliament.

Otherwise I think it's the 24th (5 weeks after 14 days trying to create a government)
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

Popcorn on standby.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

1.01 weighed in

Yeah, of course. Ha, ha!

A tediously repetitive response of yours, but I’m afraid to say I don’t follow you on Twitter.
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD

Thanks BigG
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited August 2019
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    eek said:

AndyJS said:

October 10th if called on September 4th by a 2/3rds vote of Parliament.

Otherwise I think it's the 24th (5 weeks after 14 days trying to create a government)
    Thanks. October 10th would be the same date as the second 1974 election IIRC.
  • Options

Looking at the petition map is quite interesting... the Remain redoubts of Oxford, Cambridge, Brighton, and er... Truro and Ceredigion seem to be leading the charge.

Truro and Ceredigion both voted Remain at the referendum.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

There was no need for no deal, but it has come to this because MPs elected on a promise to enact the referendum result voted against the PMs deal
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

How bored must I be?

The reason wasn’t foreigners, it was unsolicited changes to the living conditions and the labour market of the poorest in the UK imposed by our government plus their refusal to listen/vitriolic response to feedback

Which, of course, is why the older you were the more likely you were to vote for Brexit, regardless of where in the UK you lived or your financial circumstances.

• Options
    GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

Look, so long as no one pushes a new book of common prayer on the country it will be fine. And we best keep an eye out for irish rebellions.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Byronic said:

Boris does not have to resign, immediately, after a VONC. It’s just a convention. He can sit tight and call an election for a date after Brexit Halloween.
    Reading the FTPA won't help you there, because that particular piece of legislation is about what you have to do to dissolve parliament and call and election, not about how a Prime Minister who's lost the confidence of the House is removed and a new one selected.

That said, it's true that Boris doesn't have to resign, provided the Commons don't look like they could get behind anyone else.
  • Options
    Yes but as I stated earlier personally I would:-

Keep to Cooper Letwin next week.
    Request a VoNC on September 11th for the first day Parliament returns - get things lined up.

Let Boris stew over that time.
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Hello @HYUFD. You are becoming something of the resident seer, having predicted it right since May fell. You were banging on about prorogation last night, to much scepticism.
    General election in November most likely, with the EU granting a short extension until general election day, voters can then choose No Deal with Boris or most likely no Brexit with Corbyn the LDs and SNP (with a small chance the EU agrees a technical alternative to the backstop and an amended Withdrawal Agreement passes the Commons by October 31st)
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

There was no need for no deal, but it has come to this because MPs elected on a promise to enact the referendum result voted against the PMs deal
    They did not promise to enact the referendum result by an arbitrary deadline.
  • Options
    Jezza loves a good protest! Though he might be getting a bit old for a sit-in in the Palace of Westminster.

Maybe they'll allow him to go home at night and return in the day?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,002
    Opposition MPs really need to start referring to him by his second name of "Johnson". "Boris" conjures up an image of bumbling buffoonery... that's probably more on your side than Corbyn. Johnson doesn't - its a more statesmanlike title that creates an apparent contradiction with the unstatesmanlike action (Progroguing) that you're trying to get the message over about.
  • Options
    But the only majority in the commons has been for invoking article 50...

https://twitter.com/nickeardleybbc/status/1166685070490554369
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

So what? That does not make No Deal the only option.

• Options

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

How bored must I be?

Which, of course, is why the older you were the more likely you were to vote for Brexit, regardless of where in the UK you lived or your financial circumstances.

How did people who like to boast to strangers of their wealth whilst simultaneously playing victim tend to vote?
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,292
    edited August 2019
    GIN1138 said:

Jezza loves a good protest! Though he might be getting a bit old for a sit-in in the Palace of Westminster.

Maybe they'll allow him to go home at night and return in the day?
    Didnt they find a lot of those occupy lot in london where doing exactly that...inbetween trips to Starbucks for a coffee.
  • Options
    Boris is forcing people to agree with the likes of Corbyn and Grieve - that alone is awful enough.
  • Options
    FensterFenster Posts: 2,115
    If Boris only cared about Boris he wouldn't be risking his PM'ship like this. He'd be doing a Theresa May and kicking the can as far down the road as he could.
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

All that’s left
  • Options
    kle4 said:

dixiedean said:

Jonathan said:

But our system is an odd one, it is not precisely her job to decide these things even if the rules technically say that is the job. It's her job to decide so long as she never actually has to decide.
    One thing is clear from all this. Our system is a total shambles.
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

How bored must I be?

What about your favourite wordcloud??
  • Options
    kle4 said:

Boris is forcing people to agree with the likes of Corbyn and Grieve - that alone is awful enough.

At the end of the day people have to make a choice between unpalatable options.
  • Options
    CiceroCicero Posts: 2,286
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

General election in November most likely, with the EU granting a short extension until general election day, voters can then choose No Deal with Boris or most likely no Brexit with Corbyn the LDs and SNP (with a small chance the EU agrees a technical alternative to the backstop and an amended Withdrawal Agreement passes the Commons by October 31st)
    Eh? You are predicting a Conservative defeat as your central case?
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

All that’s left
    No. That's all that is left by some arbitrary deadline.
  • Options
    If the House votes not to rise. Won't they be doing precisely that?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

How bored must I be?

What about your favourite wordcloud??
    Of course it was frustration with the effects of mass immigration, that’s what I described. You like to act like it was down to a hatred of foreigners, which is something completely different.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Opposition MPs really need to start referring to him by his second name of "Johnson". "Boris" conjures up an image of bumbling buffoonery... that's probably more on your side than Corbyn. Johnson doesn't - its a more statesmanlike title that creates an apparent contradiction with the unstatesmanlike action (Progroguing) that you're trying to get the message over about.
    I've seen this theory before and I dont buy it. I think obsessing about if he is called Boris or Johnson or BoJo the fantabulous homunculus is totally irrelevant to how he is perceived and how people react.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

How bored must I be?

How did people who like to boast to strangers of their wealth whilst simultaneously playing victim tend to vote?
    I think @malcolmg voted SNP. Just a guess, mind.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,829
    isam said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

How bored must I be?

Fairly evenly split, but on average, leave, I suspect.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    Not for too long I.trust. I doubt the bathroom facilities in the HoC match those the taxpayer paid for her to enjoy
  • Options

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

All that’s left
    The vote to leave was over three years ago. It suits remainers to filibuster forever, that’s why we need a deadline. We’ve already missed a couple, or was it one?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,881
    kle4 said:

GIN1138 said:

RobD said:

Look, so long as no one pushes a new book of common prayer on the country it will be fine.
    They've done that already. It's called Common Worship. I'm not a great fan tbh (although I liked the previous effort, the Alternative Service Book) - some of the new language strikes me as trite.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

isam said:

All that’s left
    The vote to leave was over three years ago. It suits remainers to filibuster forever, that’s why we need a deadline. We’ve already missed a couple, or was it one?
    No, we don't.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268

Byronic said:

Reading the FTPA won't help you there, because that particular piece of legislation is about what you have to do to dissolve parliament and call and election, not about how a Prime Minister who's lost the confidence of the House is removed and a new one selected.

That said, it's true that Boris doesn't have to resign, provided the Commons don't look like they could get behind anyone else.
    It would be good if we could get a Blairite or a Lib Dem as alternative PM. Their added credibility as PM would be a big asset in defeating the Corbynites.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

How bored must I be?

No idea, but I do know how self-pitying xenophobes and racists did.

• Options
    HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Boris surely can't ask for an extension. Under any circumstances.

I'm with @Stark_Dawning on this. He is trying to scare the bejeezus out of people to pass a deal between the EU council meeting and Oct 31st. "A short extension" is hardly "do or die" and he would rightly be pilloried for it.

By you primarily of course although we would also curse Boris because that would mean we would have to trawl through PB to find all the posts of yours where you said we would leave by Oct 31st.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,829
    kle4 said:

Pulpstar said:

I've seen this theory before and I dont buy it. I think obsessing about if he is called Boris or Johnson or BoJo the fantabulous homunculus is totally irrelevant to how he is perceived and how people react.
    On the other hand, ‘the arse Johnson’ ought to see more usage.
  • Options
    nichomarnichomar Posts: 7,483
    Gabs2 said:

Byronic said:

He cant
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

Agreed
  • Options
    edited August 2019

isam said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

How bored must I be?

No idea, but I do know how self-pitying xenophobes and racists did.

Ooh touchy! 🤣

• Options

218,141 :)

• Options
    nichomar said:

Gabs2 said:

Byronic said:

He cant
    If no one else can command confidence I think the convention is he stays as PM.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

dixiedean said:

HYUFD said:

Boris surely can't ask for an extension. Under any circumstances.

I'm with @Stark_Dawning on this. He is trying to scare the bejeezus out of people to pass a deal between the EU council meeting and Oct 31st. "A short extension" is hardly "do or die" and he would rightly be pilloried for it.

By you primarily of course although we would also curse Boris because that would mean we would have to trawl through PB to find all the posts of yours where you said we would leave by Oct 31st.
    Boris of course ideally wants the Withdrawal Agreement minus the backstop to pass the Commons by October 31st with EU agreement.

Otherwise he will go to No Deal but the Commons likely VONCs him then and forces a general election and asks the EU for an extension until polling day, Boris will not ask for any extension but have to accept it until polling day if the Commons votes for it but he would still campaign for No Deal on that scenario if he wins the election
  • Options

Imagine you're the barrister in front of an eminent judge with limited patience. Your opposite number is alleging that you're doing this to frustrate democracy. The judge peers over his varifocals and says:

And says...

'Get on with implementing the referendum result.'

The lack of self-awareness of remainers is frankly astounding.

The lack of constitutional awareness is frankly astounding.

1. Parliament is sovereign. Now that is, whilst still in the EU.
    2. No parliament can bind the hands of a successor parliament
    3. 2015 parliament enacts a referendum. In our constitution power resides in the Crown in Parliament. Referenda are legally non-binding, may be considered to be politically by choice but in any case see point 2
    4. 2017 parliament choses to try and enact the 2016 referendum. Because the election delivered a hung parliament it chooses not to authorise acceptance of the deal, and votes to not allow leaving without a deal
    5. "Will of the people" is what was delivered in 2017 at the election. That supercedes all previous votes which is why a defeated government can't refuse to go, pointing to their win at a prior election

Its very very simple. If you want MPs to make a different political choice over Brexit, then elect new ones. The current parliament is legally and constitutionally sovereign to refuse to implement the actions of a previous parliament. That is very explicitly the parliamentary sovereignty that Brexiteers claim they voted for.

So if they didn't vote for sovereignty. And they didn't vote to be better off (because "I'd rather eat grass") then that only leaves racism. They voted to leave to chuck anyone out they don't like. CF Priti "Hang 'Em" Patel's pronouncements on free movement the minute we leave
    Parliamentary sovereignty is over legislation. Parliament makes the law, it doesn't govern, that is the prerogative of HMG while the courts uphold legislation. The problem is that MPs have not made a political choice over Brexit, instead they have rejected every choice that has been presented to them. Even now, there is no majority in parliament for anything except for prolonging the agony by kicking the can even further down the road. The Government is offering Parliament an opportunity to make a decision. It can accept any withdrawal agreement that Boris brings back, it can accept No Deal, it can force a General Election or pass new legislation that overrides the current legal position that we leave on 31 October. The EU gave us an extension to sort this out, the Government is at least trying to do this, all we get from the Opposition is outrage.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,723
    It may be the end of democracy, but Lucy is still doing the ITV weather forecast...
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Meanwhile, not much sign of the wobbly Eurocrats caving in this tweet:

https://twitter.com/MichelBarnier/status/1166694674251309056
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    Gabs2 said:

It would be good if we could get a Blairite or a Lib Dem as alternative PM. Their added credibility as PM would be a big asset in defeating the Corbynites.

I agree. Unfortunately now you've gone and blurted it out the Labour left will be onto us, and Jeremy Corbyn will no longer fall for our otherwise brilliant plan.

A Tory is also bad, for tribal backbench Labour reasons.

The answer to the riddle is Sylvia Hermon, who is 200/1 with Shadsy.
  • Options
    Phillip Lee on WATO, not chuffed by this. Getting warm words from Chakrabarti too.
  • Options
    Gabs2Gabs2 Posts: 1,268
    nichomar said:

Gabs2 said:

Byronic said:

He cant
    Where does it say that he can't?
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,833

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

How bored must I be?

The idea that the Tory government didn't listen to retired people across Shire England is a keeper!
This discussion has been closed.