Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » PM Johnson’s first front pages after the day when he was most

123457»

Comments

• Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Sandpit said:

At the risk of sounding like I’m turning into @HYUFD, Boris Johnson is absolutely killing this in the Commons.

In the same way, Jezza is in his element preaching his 40 years of greatest hits to a crowd, this is Boris' environment.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194

Jesus, its bloody hot today....my PCs aren't happy at been asked to do a load of work in these conditions.

It's currently 19 C in St Hellier, Jersey.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,898
    Scott_P said:
    The sentiment is fine but that's such a stunt it seems pointless.
  • Options
    FloaterFloater Posts: 14,195

As predicted...wrong type of BAME's for the Guardian....

Don’t be fooled by Johnson’s ‘diverse’ cabinet. Tory racism hasn’t changed

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/25/johnson-diverse-cabinet-tory-racism-ethnic-minority-ministers

But Labour racism is ok?
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,656

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:
    It's a lolly! Of course it's a lolly! It's on a stick! Honestly, there are some weird people in the world... :)
    It's an ice cream! A 'lolly' is some frozen fruit concoction on a stick
    A choc-ice on a stick.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,131
    tlg86 said:

Jesus, its bloody hot today....my PCs aren't happy at been asked to do a load of work in these conditions.

A most clement 23 C in south Devon.
  • Options

Have to hand it to Boris. This is barnstorming stuff. Whatever happens in the coming months, it is certainly going to be entertaining.

What I saw of JRM in business Qs was entertaing stuff too.

Both JRM and Boris have changed politics today and must have made labour mps accept that Corbyn is a liability to their party
    JRM surprised me - he smashed a Lib Dem all over the place
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,907

Johnson's plan is what he said it was all along. Who could have thought it?
    I keep saying that. If people insist on telling you their master plan, then it is usually good practice to listen and consider that they might actually do it.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112

Scott_P said:
    Funny how for years, awkward euroskeptic Tories were told to shut up for the good of the party by the likes of Soames and Soubry, but clearly that doesn't apply to them.
    They didn't though, did they?
    They didn't openly speak of bringing down Tory governments and enter coalition with opposition parties.
    Not sure John Major would agree with that. IIRC IDS and friends were in contact with Labour during his leadership.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    Floater said:

As predicted...wrong type of BAME's for the Guardian....

Don’t be fooled by Johnson’s ‘diverse’ cabinet. Tory racism hasn’t changed

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jul/25/johnson-diverse-cabinet-tory-racism-ethnic-minority-ministers

But Labour racism is ok?
    "they're the wrong type of minorities, Gromit"
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    TOPPING said:

What a shocking looking front bench.

Doomster
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    tlg86 said:

Don't let me computers know, they will be demanding relocation.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

justin124 said:

Whilst Corbyn is not the man to do it , it would be good to see some Labour MPs seeking to undermine Johnson by highlighting his low standards re- personal morality etc? 'Can the PM inform the House how many Bastards he has fathered to date? ' ' How much maintenance is he now paying to ex-partners etc'.

Already priced in
    It would have to be a bit more subtle - 'As we know from the PM's long established history of fathering children out of wedlock etc' - 'How many broken homes does the PM currently bear direct responsibility for?' -'How many paternity tests does he expect to take in the next 6 months?
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Whilst Corbyn is not the man to do it , it would be good to see some Labour MPs seeking to undermine Johnson by highlighting his low standards re- personal morality etc? 'Can the PM inform the House how many Bastards he has fathered to date? ' ' How much maintenance is he now paying to ex-partners etc'.

Classy - nice to see that kinder gentler politics in action
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    tlg86 said:

Brom said:

ridiculous from Corbyn asking about capital punishment

He wants it brought back? :open_mouth:
    "Not one step back!" :lol:
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,343
    Boris put down of Soubry was wonderful.

'You voted for the WDA'
  • Options

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:
    It's a lolly! Of course it's a lolly! It's on a stick! Honestly, there are some weird people in the world... :)
    Arguing about what is a lolly makes a change from Brexit I suppose...
    * Jaffa "cakes" wave *
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,343
    Floater said:

Have to hand it to Boris. This is barnstorming stuff. Whatever happens in the coming months, it is certainly going to be entertaining.

Both JRM and Boris have changed politics today and must have made labour mps accept that Corbyn is a liability to their party
    JRM surprised me - he smashed a Lib Dem all over the place
    And he is so polite
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,298

Have you tried Love Island?
  • Options

To be fair, Boris is giving Corbyn a damn good thrashing.

He is but Corbyn will do a lot better once Labour's team analyse Boris's weak points, and even better after they extract a 30-seconds video for social media. As noted earlier in this thread, almost no-one watches live telly.
    Yes - your right Boris is a completely unknown entity and his victory came as a huge surprise.....

• Options
    JackWJackW Posts: 14,787

JackW said:

Quite noteworthy that the government benches are far from full for the PM's first statement.

Lots of mps off on holiday with their families. Parliament closes today until September
    Indeed so. And yet for this historic occasion dozens of Conservative MP's still decided to pack their buckets and spades at pace rather than listen to Boris.

They decided not to REMAIN and BREXIT on their hols was the order of the day.
  • Options

Hello from a very melty Whitehall. After a blissful 5 days in Scotland I travelled by sleeper to that London for tonight's Public Service Broadcasting prom. Am sat in Spoons reading in bemused rage that simultaneously the cocks running the Labour Party are both demanding a general election complete with rally and denouncing a motion to force a general election.

Tell you what. Lets all quit our respective parties and form the PM party.

The sleeper - did you get a Skoda or a Dyson?

If you don't know what I'm on about, count yourself lucky!
  • Options
    SlackbladderSlackbladder Posts: 9,711
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Already priced in
    It would have to be a bit more subtle - 'As we know from the PM's long established history of fathering children out of wedlock etc' - 'How many broken homes does the PM currently bear direct responsibility for?' -'How many paternity tests does he expect to take in the next 6 months?
    Politics of the gutter...just what I expect from the current labour party.
  • Options
    Peter_the_PunterPeter_the_Punter Posts: 13,324
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    And, in fairness, in a way the members would prefer .
    Exactly - 'the members'.

How many of these do we think are UKIP/TBP entryists?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:
    A choc-ice on a stick.
    Said to have been invented by Roger Moore, of course.
  • Options

As @NickPalmer once offhandedly once admitted, he is not that bothered about losing elections. When I recall his exact words, I will carve them on the gravestone of the Labour Party.
  • Options

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:
    Arguing about what is a lolly makes a change from Brexit I suppose...
    * Jaffa "cakes" wave *
    In this heat, I don't think they are either a cake or a biscuit...they will be just a heap of chocolatey orange mess.
  • Options
    glw said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:
    I've just eaten one, it's a lolly.
    Good man!
  • Options

tlg86 said:

A most clement 23 C in south Devon.
    30°C in Leeds at the moment - just been out in it. A/C in our office trying its best.
  • Options

He is but Corbyn will do a lot better once Labour's team analyse Boris's weak points, and even better after they extract a 30-seconds video for social media. As noted earlier in this thread, almost no-one watches live telly.
    Boris' weak points have been analysed to death for months now. What analysis have they been doing in this time? Or ar ethey too busy hiding Labour anti-semites' files?
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    Sandpit said:

At the risk of sounding like I’m turning into @HYUFD, Boris Johnson is absolutely killing this in the Commons.

Although Benn asked a perfectly reasonable question, of the type often posed on PB of a what if nature.
    Was accused of "defeatism" and no answer given. This is all very well, but there is a limited shelf-life to a can-do attitude when you can't-do.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Already priced in
    The current Labour Party has so far not acted on these suggestions.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

What in particular is impressing you?

- The way his voice carries?
    - His vocabulary?
    - His passion?
    - The quick wit?
    - His imposing physical build?
    - The haircut?

Or is it all of this and much much more?
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Boris' weak points have been analysed to death for months now. What analysis have they been doing in this time? Or ar ethey too busy hiding Labour anti-semites' files?
    Boris has not been answering PMQs for months. HTH.

ETA do not overlook the point I made earlier about extracting Corbyn's best 30 seconds for a social media video. Why do you think he used to ask Theresa May about buses?
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Already priced in
    The current Labour Party has so far not acted on these suggestions.
    Yes, even they are not that daft.
  • Options
    Sunil_PrasannanSunil_Prasannan Posts: 49,362
    Roger said:

TOPPING said:

What a shocking looking front bench.

Doomster
    Gloomster!
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Funny how for years, awkward euroskeptic Tories were told to shut up for the good of the party by the likes of Soames and Soubry, but clearly that doesn't apply to them.
    They didn't though, did they?
    They didn't openly speak of bringing down Tory governments and enter coalition with opposition parties.
    They did however speak of electoral alliances with BXP, which imply the replacement of a Tory Government with a coalition government

• Options
    In today's society, I think Justin is in the minority of about 5 that care about somebody having a child out of wedlock.
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Already priced in
    Boris Johnson has spent most of his life in the gutter - and runs away from the consequences.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

viewcode said:

Plus I forget who it was who insisted that the Queen cannot remove a PM if that PM insists on staying on without confidence. She can, she should, and I hope that she would. Google "the Dismissal" for a real-life example in Australia in the 70s.

The Queen isn't going to dismiss a government.
    I gave you a real-life example when she (or at least her Governor General) did exactly that!
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    justin124 said:

What!!!! You are truly wierd.
  • Options

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:
    Bad person! Bad! :)
  • Options

"Thought you were smart when you took them on
    But you didn't take a peep in their artillery room
    All that rugby puts hairs on your chest
    What chance have you got against a tie and a crest?"
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,742
    dixiedean said:

I never expected that barnstorming response from Boris

Word salad. Delivered with a passion May couldn't.
    Tends to go off fairly quickly though.

I can see the Boris act palling with a bit more exposure to actual events. Won't help Corbyn, though.
  • Options
    Brom said:

That was more fun than its been for years and years. A lot of people might start engaging in parliament if thats a sign of things to come.

You sound like a deep thinker - would that be fair?
  • Options
    felix said:

justin124 said:

Perhaps you find his behaviour acceptable. I had been under the impression that Tories believed in 'family values'etc.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Already priced in
    Boris Johnson has spent most of his life in the gutter - and runs away from the consequences.
    Which is no reason to join him there.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    I see the United Kingdom is being entertained to death by its last Prime Minister in the Commons today. But I’m sure @Philip_Thompson and @HYUFD are loving the creative ambiguity about capital punishment and will loudly cheer as hangings are resumed after Legal Aid is finally abolished as it is a “deterrent”.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,783
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

HYUFD said:
    Bad person! Bad! :)
    A Magnum is not an ice lolly and lumping all the Magnums into one MegaMagnum is heresy. A Feast is not an ice lolly. A Solero has a layer of sorbet-ish coating, but is not an ice lolly. A Twister has an ice lolly centre, but is not an ice lolly. These things are all on sticks, so they are lollies, but they are not ice lollies. The poll is a lie.

https://london.eater.com/2019/7/25/20727137/heatwave-2019-ice-lolly-magnum-ice-cream-yougov-poll
  • Options
    I don't disagree with the sentiment; it is indeed a good thing.

Doesn't stop my despising the new Home Secretary, though.
    Other than his willingness to serve in a Johnson cabinet, I have no great animus against the Chancellor.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,992
    Nigelb said:

dixiedean said:

I never expected that barnstorming response from Boris

Word salad. Delivered with a passion May couldn't.
    Tends to go off fairly quickly though.

I can see the Boris act palling with a bit more exposure to actual events. Won't help Corbyn, though.
    Yes. A can-do attitude is a disadvantage when you find you can't-do.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    justin124 said:

felix said:

justin124 said:

Perhaps you find his behaviour acceptable. I had been under the impression that Tories believed in 'family values'etc.
    Governments should stay out of personal relationships. The law should be obeyed. If you were truly concerned about these matters you'd be addressing the mountains of examples in your own party.
  • Options
    midwintermidwinter Posts: 1,112
    kinabalu said:

"Thought you were smart when you took them on
    But you didn't take a peep in their artillery room
    All that rugby puts hairs on your chest
    What chance have you got against a tie and a crest?"
    Absolutely. Where were Jeremy and Seamus educated? I forget...
  • Options

In today's society, I think Justin is in the minority of about 5 that care about somebody having a child out of wedlock.

Not sure he'll love the company he keeps with those other 4!
  • Options

Nigelb said:

“Will fail” is a strange and defeatist assumption given a notional government majority of perhaps 2.

Also if there are some wavering Tories out there the not-quite-a-proper-no-confidence motion is potentially a more accessible gateway drug for a proper no-confidence motion.
    Anyone would have thought that Corbyn just wants to go and watch the cricket, too.
    Which seems unlikely.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Nigelb said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

Already priced in
    Which is no reason to join him there.
    It is hardly descending to the gutter to respond to his own smart Alec remarks with a riposte on the lines of ' The next time the PM is obliged to submit to a paternity test ....'. It would be very funny!
  • Options
    CatManCatMan Posts: 2,776
    This thread has signed a deal
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    justin124 said:

kjh said:

justin124 said:

kjh said:

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

IanB2 said:

justin124 said:

IanB2 said:

alex. said:
    IF Labour voters get behind the LibDems in Mogg's seat, there is every chance.
    That would make no sense - Labour last polled 18,757 to the LDs 4,461.
    The EU elections have always been taken frivolously and it is well known that the LibDems flatter to deceive at Local Elections. Both have turnouts well under 40% . Moreover, this is a seat where Labour has consistently - even in 2010 - been the main challenger.
    With respect you do know there has been an earthquake in politics ripping up past history

Sadly for labour they are caught in a pincer movement between the Conservatives and Lib Dems who are now the respected party for those who want to remain
    Why is Labour ahead with Survation, Comres, and Opinium ? On the basis of those findings , a voter would have to be pretty psephologically illiterate to suggest that Labour voters should tactically support the LDs there - though such advice would delight JRM. We had many polls at the 2010 GE putiing the LDs in first place nationally with over 30% vote shares , and we know how that turned out a few days later - ie the LDs actually LOST seats! LD support is very soft - 'easy come - easy go'.
    And easy come again (if that doesn't sound too arrogant). Yes it is soft so there are seats that Labour can't win, but when the LDs are in the doldrums Lab appear in 2nd place with the LDs far behind. Lab don't win them, but when LDs recover they can. Hence the tactical vote suggestion.
    But not in seats such as Somerset NE!
    Well obviously it is a big ask, but why not? Note I am not predicting it, but pointing out the logic of the argument. Labour can't get the tactical votes so can only win it if they are on course for a landslide anyway. LDs can get tactical votes from both Lab and Con so if they work it and are on a high can win it. And the current environment is favourable to the LDs and not Lab.

Do I think they will win it - No, but the tactical vote logic is in favour of LDs
    No - Labour would have won that seat in 1997 and 2001.
    I suspect most Labour wins in surprising places during the Blair landslides (especially hypothetical extrapolated ones) are not going to be replicated under Corbyn in a hung parliament.

• Options
    midwinter said:

Absolutely. Where were Jeremy and Seamus educated? I forget...

Corbyn went to Adams Grammar in Newport.

Which is, I agree, distinctly forgettable so I give you a pass.
  • Options
    The whole thing is as predicted on (and bet on) this very pb. Boris needs (and now has a degree of) cover for his past race-baiting articles. Hope you were on.
  • Options
    felix said:

justin124 said:

felix said:

justin124 said:

Governments should stay out of personal relationships. The law should be obeyed. If you were truly concerned about these matters you'd be addressing the mountains of examples in your own party.
    I was very critical of David Blunkett when it appeared he might have fathered a child in an extramarital relationship. In the event, it turned out not to be true but I was appalled that someone who had previously aspired to becoming a Methodist Minister had behaved like that.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,926
    kinabalu said:

Sandpit said:

What in particular is impressing you?

- The way his voice carries?
    - His vocabulary?
    - His passion?
    - The quick wit?
    - His imposing physical build?
    - The haircut?

Or is it all of this and much much more?
    Above all, it’s the passion and the optimism.

Now, it’s going to be difficult to keep up at this pace, and his term as PM will be measured by what he actually manages to get done, but it’s certainly a significant departure from the attitude of his predecessor.

He’s also been crystal clear on several occasions that we leave the EU on 31st October, and puts the ball back in their court as to whether they wish to amend the deal or for us to leave without one.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    eek said:

While all that - needs must means that in my Labour / Tory seat I have no choice but to vote Labour unless things really change.

Vote swap. Find a labour supporter somewhere who will vote Lib Dem on your behalf. North East Somerset sounds like a nice place.
  • Options
    Mango said:

eek said:

While all that - needs must means that in my Labour / Tory seat I have no choice but to vote Labour unless things really change.

Vote swap. Find a labour supporter somewhere who will vote Lib Dem on your behalf. North East Somerset sounds like a nice place.
    Labour was within 5,000 votes of JRM in 2010 despite the Libdem Cleggmania boost.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Boris is not compromising one bit. Over to you EU

Didn't Boris back the WA on its third vote?
    Yes but he is uncompromising in binning it
    He is an utter arsehole. How can he have supported something so recently that he now wants to bin uncompromisingly?
    He never supported it you muppet.

He was uncompromisingly against it then very relunctantly voted for it when he thought May might cancel Brexit if it didn't go through. May's gone now and so is her pathetic drivel of a deal. The backstop is dead - thankfully!
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Mango said:

eek said:

A lot on the left would find the idea of voting Lib Dem reprehensible and vice versa. Tactical voting may not have the same effect as it once did given the huge gulf in policy between Labour and the Lib Dems.
  • Options

I'm not fan of Jacob Rees-Mogg in general, but I think people are barking up the wrong tree in criticising his appointment as Leader of the House. I think he'll be rather good at it: always polite, punctilious about procedure, and a defender of parliament.

It might be one of the roles he is better suited for. And annoy Bercow
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Boris is not compromising one bit. Over to you EU

Didn't Boris back the WA on its third vote?
    Yes but he is uncompromising in binning it
    He is an utter arsehole. How can he have supported something so recently that he now wants to bin uncompromisingly?
    Quite. Hes acting like he and the others were all Spartans resistant to the end.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Yes but therein lies the issue. Look at the EU election results and the locals.
    The 2017 results are so far from recent polls that they are the worst place to start.

That's barchart talk. ;-)
  • Options

Brendan's delighted.

This was a Leave country ruled by Remainer politicians, proof of the chasm that now separates elite opinion from public opinion. The new Cabinet goes some way to rectifying that. Now let’s leave. Properly, fully, with no turning back. Out, out, out.

https://www.spiked-online.com/2019/07/25/at-last-the-country-is-run-by-leavers/

He's on the list. Very high, in fact.
  • Options

Point taken, but potato famines?

Patel called for food shortage threats to be used to blackmail Ireland. Classy stuff from a classy lady.

This discussion has been closed.