Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters pile on to a 2019 general election in reaction to John

Comments

• Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    Pulpstar said:
    Brexit supporter Rees-Mogg whose fund invests outside the UK to protect it from currency risk due to Brexit. Surely he has conflict of issue if he is appointed to any Government job?
  • Options
    Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 60,320
    Ester McVey at no 10
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    Still, you can't fault Johnson's trolling skills. He has sent Remainer Britain and Liberal Britain into f**king melt down tonight.

I am losing track of the despairing texts I am getting.

https://twitter.com/Throctukes/status/1154112032188317696
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,296
    edited July 2019

JRM is in No 10.

Really? So Boris didn't even make it to the evening before being replaced?
  • Options

Have we ever had a time when the two major parties have had basically all their best and brightest on the backbenches?

1903-1904.

Then the Liberals reunited and handed the Unionists' arses to them at the next election.
  • Options
    ralphmalphralphmalph Posts: 2,201
    ydoethur said:

JRM is in No 10.

Really? So Boris didn't even make it to the evening before being replaced?
    lol
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

alex. said:

Ishmael_Z said:

PClipp said:

Just wondering, Mr HY.... but how is it going down with the rank and file Conservative that three of the top political posts are held by two Indians and and an Israeli? While the top post of all is held by a person of Turkish descent?

Just wondering.........

I hadn't realised that Raab was [German origin] Jewish, but how does that make him Israeli?
    Quite. Nor are Javid and Patel "Indians". I don't run around calling people racist, but I think that was a very weird comment.

I thought Patel was the Israeli?
    She's not a Raab, anyway...
    That pun was like the bedouin, intentse...

Is that my coat?
    I think you burnous.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    Sorry if someone's said so already, but Rutger Hauer has died aged 75.

"All these moments will be lost in time, like...tears...in rain... Time to die."
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

I am very surprised and disappointed with Boris cabinet

Not at all happy at ditching Hunt and Penny

Also I do not see the unity he extolled in his choices

This must be a cabinet for an Autumn GE

I am always interested on how you view these things.

Are you one step closer to quitting the party today?

I am dismayed about the new Government. I cannot help but fear the worst for the country! Boris is going to gamble everything on his Brexit, the downside is too great and a lot of people will suffer. It is interesting the people who have worked with him, MPs and the like have grave misgivings about his judgement. He will sink us all with his deluded fantasy....
    My position hasn't changed from supporting a deal but no deal results in my resignation
    Thanks.
  • Options
    alex.alex. Posts: 4,658
    Not sure if it’s correct, but according to Wikipedia Gove’s post isn’t even in the Cabinet?
  • Options
    Today both no deal and remain became totally polarised
  • Options
    OnboardG1OnboardG1 Posts: 1,291
    ydoethur said:

Scott_P said:
    And no, Foreign Secretary, whatever that twat from Epping thinks, they can't get through by sailing round the Cape of Good Hope...
    *distressed shreiking*
  • Options
    FoxyFoxy Posts: 44,694

Still, you can't fault Johnson's trolling skills. He has sent Remainer Britain and Liberal Britain into f**king melt down tonight.

I am losing track of the despairing texts I am getting.

https://twitter.com/Throctukes/status/1154112032188317696

It is rather like that bit when Slytherin took over Hogwarts.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    OH STOP IT. This Johnson trolling is killing me.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    CateHoons said:

lol cry moar faggots. were running the show now

Ooh,. how exciting, I think this site just got its first Gen Z poster
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited July 2019
    CateHoons said:

Troll, ignore.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Witch-finder General is still up for grabs.
  • Options

Ester McVey at no 10

So JRM and McVey in No 10.

I am sick to the very bottom of my stomach.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

alex. said:

Ishmael_Z said:

PClipp said:

Just wondering, Mr HY.... but how is it going down with the rank and file Conservative that three of the top political posts are held by two Indians and and an Israeli? While the top post of all is held by a person of Turkish descent?

Just wondering.........

I hadn't realised that Raab was [German origin] Jewish, but how does that make him Israeli?
    Quite. Nor are Javid and Patel "Indians". I don't run around calling people racist, but I think that was a very weird comment.

Is that my coat?
    I think you burnous.
    I fellah - in to that one.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Surely Chumbawamba must reform now.
  • Options
    alex. said:

Not sure if it’s correct, but according to Wikipedia Gove’s post isn’t even in the Cabinet?

It can be, but doesn't have to be. For example, Milburn was, Mosley wasn't.

But I think only the First Lord of the Treasury, Lord Chancellor, Secretary of State (which is usually held by several people concurrently now) Lord President of the Council and Lord Privy Seal actually have to be in the Cabinet. Others may or may not be as the PM dictates. In practice, for example, I don't think there's been a chancellor of the exchequer outside the cabinet since the 1860s.
  • Options
    So far so good, looks like a really positive and optimistic reshuffle. Just the shake up the doctor ordered and not remotely what we would have got from Continuity May (Hunt).

We were given a choice between more-of-the-same from Hunt or genuine change from Johnson and change was elected by 2:1 and that looks like what we're going to get.

I'm very happy. Still only Penny Mordaunt that I think is a loss, hopefully like Gove for May she will be back before long. Other than that, cry no tears at Grayling etc being on the backbenches.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    It's going to be DWP isn't it? Because we have a Foreign Sec who hates foreigners, a chancellor who hates economic forecasts and a Home Secretary who hates people. Might as well continue the trend.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

Scott_P said:
    It's going to be DWP isn't it? Because we have a Foreign Sec who hates foreigners, a chancellor who hates economic forecasts and a Home Secretary who hates people. Might as well continue the trend.
    DWP has already been confirmed.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

CateHoons said:

Troll, ignore.
    Moar is an Isle of Man bailiff according to OED.
  • Options
    Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

alex. said:

Ishmael_Z said:

PClipp said:

Just wondering.........

Is that my coat?
    I think you burnous.
    I'm at risk of losing fez.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    CateHoons said:

More evidence that America Trump was actually quite perceptive for once with the name Britain Trump.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

Foxy said:

ydoethur said:

alex. said:

Ishmael_Z said:

PClipp said:

Just wondering.........

Is that my coat?
    I think you burnous.
    I'm at risk of losing fez.
    Boris has no need of Berbers.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Scott_P said:
    DWP has already been confirmed.
    Has Party Chairperson been done?
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    There’s only one cabinet post left. Or none if Gove is already in. Astonishing that he has accepted a job outside cabinet, do you think he’s realised?
  • Options

CateHoons said:

Troll, ignore.
    Are you sure it's not an eager young intellect taking its first faltering steps into the marketplace of ideas?
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    PM's brother has turned up.
  • Options

So far so good, looks like a really positive and optimistic reshuffle. Just the shake up the doctor ordered and not remotely what we would have got from Continuity May (Hunt).

We were given a choice between more-of-the-same from Hunt or genuine change from Johnson and change was elected by 2:1 and that looks like what we're going to get.

I'm very happy. Still only Penny Mordaunt that I think is a loss, hopefully like Gove for May she will be back before long. Other than that, cry no tears at Grayling etc being on the backbenches.

I have never yet, despite my links to the left and my age, yet felt the need to deploy "gammon" in anger, but here we are. This is the cabinet for the gammonage. The red faced angry folk who get off on the pain of others and believe in fairytales of empire and trade. The people who would drop dead if it weren't for the ice touch of rage at the fact the world is leaving them behind in their veins. Desperate for their last hurrah and willing to destroy the future of their children and grandchildren for the last buzz of victory before the grave swallows them.
  • Options
    Jo Johnson in no 10
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,139

CateHoons said:

Ooh,. how exciting, I think this site just got its first Gen Z poster
    A brave new leap into the unknown for the Sean T oeuvre?
  • Options

Have we ever had a time when the two major parties have had basically all their best and brightest on the backbenches?

Yes, yesterday. As all the best and brightest had resigned in protest or been sacked by May.

Now though we have dross like Grayling, Bradley, Fox, Hammond etc heading to backbenches and genuine talent like Patel etc coming forward.
  • Options
    JohnOJohnO Posts: 4,215
    Mogg as Leader of the House, McVey to Justice and Cleverly (?) Party Chairman? That would complete the Cabinet.

Brandon Lewis sacked...or perhaps Chief Sec?
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    tlg86 said:

Last time I saw him on the TV he was waxing lyrical with Gary Lineker and the People's vote lot !
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891

Grant Shapps for Grayling - not impressed

A cabinet of all the crooks. Birds of a feather. Didn't take him long did it...
  • Options
    Would be quite amusing if Johnson has miscounted the number of people he can pay a cabinet salary :)
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Is he the designated driver?
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,290
    Scott_P said:
    “Diehard” is the adjective de jour, surely?
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,824

GIN1138 said:

Nothing for IDS, JRM or MFI I see? :(

Isn't JRM Leader of the House?
    Don't know. Hadn't heard that.

JRM is "in" Downing St. anyway apparently...
  • Options
    murali_smurali_s Posts: 3,040
    edited July 2019

Ester McVey at no 10

So JRM and McVey in No 10.

I am sick to the very bottom of my stomach.
    The Tories trying to out-brexit the Brexit party. Decisive shift to the right / far right.

The Lib Dems should be polling 30% plus within weeks...
  • Options
    RochdalePioneersRochdalePioneers Posts: 27,257
    Shagger has to make Jacob sexy pants Rees-Mogg Leader of the House. Because giggles.

I can't think of a job suitable for McVile that isn't being fired into the centre of the sun
  • Options
    JohnO said:

Mogg as Leader of the House, McVey to Justice and Cleverly (?) Party Chairman? That would complete the Cabinet.

Buck land already appointed to Justice?
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Shagger has to make Jacob sexy pants Rees-Mogg Leader of the House. Because giggles.

I can't think of a job suitable for McVile that isn't being fired into the centre of the sun

The Sun is too close. There's a nice black hole in the centre of the Galaxy that could use more bile and hatred.
  • Options
    Has Northern Ireland been announced?
  • Options
    JohnO said:

McVey to Justice ? Jeez I was actually joking about the Witchfinder General bit.
  • Options
    OnboardG1 said:

I have never yet, despite my links to the left and my age, yet felt the need to deploy "gammon" in anger, but here we are. This is the cabinet for the gammonage. The red faced angry folk who get off on the pain of others and believe in fairytales of empire and trade. The people who would drop dead if it weren't for the ice touch of rage at the fact the world is leaving them behind in their veins. Desperate for their last hurrah and willing to destroy the future of their children and grandchildren for the last buzz of victory before the grave swallows them.
    The red faced are left sputtering in outrage outside, from the permanently red faced and angry LOTO to those sputtering in disgust that a Brexiteer is now PM three years after the public democratically voted for Brexit and we might actually mean it this time.

All we're missing is a profanity-filled Tweet from Ian Dunt in the thread header and it will be complete.
  • Options
    YorkcityYorkcity Posts: 4,382
    I see Jo Swinson had to correct her wrongful claim that Corbyn went on holiday for two weeks during the eu referendum.
    Surely she could have got her facts right before making the allegation.
  • Options
    Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,308
    Boris must have been in secret talks with Nigel, the agreement being that Nigel gets to choose the personnel of government in return for calling off TBP. Nothing else makes much sense.
  • Options
    alex. said:

JohnO said:

Haven't seen that. Wouldn't be surprised though.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    Chris said:

Julian Smith
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214

notme2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Can the hard left entitled remoaners such as cyclefree stop whining and recognise what is good for Britain! I am surprised roger and Tyson arent on too.

Good news HYUFD and I are here to represent voice of reason

#priti

Hard left?! Me? I think you may have confused me with a member of the Labour party.

The last thing this government is concerned about is the interests of the country.

Still I am sure hard Brexiteers like you will be volunteering to be the first to lose your jobs and be last in the queue for medicines. After all you wouldn’t want us to think that you’re the sort of hypocrite who is happy for others to suffer but unwilling to endure the pain themselves, would you?
    If one is far enough to the right, all of us seem hard left, rather in the way that people who have never left Kansas assume that everyone in Britain knows each other. (Welcome to the revolution, comrade Cyclefree.)
    Hello Cyclefree I was in one of 'your' constituencies Copeland yesterday. They love your views there. Are you going to take the opportunity to vote labour there??
    They will not love the damage a No Deal Brexit will do their area. The Tory MP has a very small majority. She’ll be out on her ear.
    That Tory MP has ‘owned’ the retaining of maternity services at the west Cumberland hospital. She will be hard to budge. She’s liked. And if she can persuade the get to underwrite the nuclear development at sellafield she’ll be going nowhere.

Copeland, a labour council for decades now has an indie elected mayor. Who just got re elected, the constituency is now stomping Tory, it’s County council local committee of cllrs is now also Tory.
    And finally, Cyclefree (by her own admission) does not live in Copeland and so should but be voting there.
    Dear me. I explained this a while back. I do not have a vote in Trudy Harrison’s constituency but my husband and daughter do. Daughter will not vote Tory under any circumstances and husband now won’t. He did before. So that’s one vote lost. I am in the process of moving so, depending on when the election is held, I will have a vote. It will not be for the Tories.

I know and like Trudy. But her majority is ca. 2000. A No Deal Brexit will hit Cumbria hard. Whatever her good local work she cannot count on that saving her.

Does this Cabinet look like one which gives a damn about the people of West Cumbria? Do they even know where it is or what life is like there? I doubt it.

• Options
    OnboardG1 said:

The Sun is too close. There's a nice black hole in the centre of the Galaxy that could use more bile and hatred.
    Mogg vs Bercow will be interesting. It will be battle of the experts on arcane procedure.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

The red faced are left sputtering in outrage outside, from the permanently red faced and angry LOTO to those sputtering in disgust that a Brexiteer is now PM three years after the public democratically voted for Brexit and we might actually mean it this time.

All we're missing is a profanity-filled Tweet from Ian Dunt in the thread header and it will be complete.
    Nice high horse you have there. Pity it's buried six feet in the mud with the Tory Party's integrity.
  • Options
    Yorkcity said:

I see Jo Swinson had to correct her wrongful claim that Corbyn went on holiday for two weeks during the eu referendum.
    Surely she could have got her facts right before making the allegation.

Nobody is interested in facts anymore. This is post-modern politics where everyone's facts are valid.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,824
    edited July 2019
    Esther and Priti at Justice and Home implies Con are going seriously Right on law and order...

I guess we can forget Gauke's idea of removing prison bars for the time being? :D
  • Options

Chris said:

Julian Smith
    Thanks. The BBC seems to have missed that.
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981

Yes, yesterday. As all the best and brightest had resigned in protest or been sacked by May.

Now though we have dross like Grayling, Bradley, Fox, Hammond etc heading to backbenches and genuine talent like Patel etc coming forward.
    genuine talent like Patel

The joke doesn't wear off with repetition. Not one bit.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    Where was it that I saw the line: "Not so much a Government of all the talents as a Cabinet of half the wits"?
  • Options
    viewcode said:
    Its blindingly obvious to anyone who is serious that is what the strategy should have been for years now! About frigging time.

JFDI now.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Nah, the people losing their minds today are mostly centrists. Most of those on the left already thought things were so bad that this isn't much of a change. Very similar situation with Trump in the US
  • Options
    JohnO said:

alex. said:

JohnO said:

JohnO said:

alex. said:

JohnO said:

Sorry, you're right.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Scott_P said:
    Celebrating Skipton Sheep Day is excellent preparation for the 12th of July.
  • Options
    viewcode said:
    Looks that way. Although timing is very very tight.

Let us hope this God awful Parliament does not blink in the final moment.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

OnboardG1 said:

Nah, the people losing their minds today are mostly centrists. Most of those on the left already thought things were so bad that this isn't much of a change. Very similar situation with Trump in the US
    I love how those who lost the referendum are regarded as "centrists".

Johnson is the real centrist. He is the one who won.
  • Options
    GIN1138 said:

Esther and Priti at Justice and Home implies Con are going seriously Right on law and order...

I guess we can forget Gauke's idea of removing prison bars for the time being? :D

Bars will do OK under this regime as we drown our sorrows.

@Foxy - I give up. I'm off to Bedouin.

Have a good evening.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Rebrand time? Oh just give up and spend time with the young one.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

notme2 said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Cyclefree said:

Ave_it said:

Can the hard left entitled remoaners such as cyclefree stop whining and recognise what is good for Britain! I am surprised roger and Tyson arent on too.

Good news HYUFD and I are here to represent voice of reason

#priti

Hard left?! Me? I think you may have confused me with a member of the Labour party.

The last thing this government is concerned about is the interests of the country.

Still I am sure hard Brexiteers like you will be volunteering to be the first to lose your jobs and be last in the queue for medicines. After all you wouldn’t want us to think that you’re the sort of hypocrite who is happy for others to suffer but unwilling to endure the pain themselves, would you?
    If one is far enough to the right, all of us seem hard left, rather in the way that people who have never left Kansas assume that everyone in Britain knows each other. (Welcome to the revolution, comrade Cyclefree.)
    Hello Cyclefree I was in one of 'your' constituencies Copeland yesterday. They love your views there. Are you going to take the opportunity to vote labour there??
    They will not love the damage a No Deal Brexit will do their area. The Tory MP has a very small majority. She’ll be out on her ear.

Copeland, a labour council for decades now has an indie elected mayor. Who just got re elected, the constituency is now stomping Tory, it’s County council local committee of cllrs is now also Tory.
    And finally, Cyclefree (by her own admission) does not live in Copeland and so should but be voting there.
    Dear me. I explained this a while back. I do not have a vote in Trudy Harrison’s constituency but my husband and daughter do. Daughter will not vote Tory under any circumstances and husband now won’t. He did before. So that’s one vote lost. I am in the process of moving so, depending on when the election is held, I will have a vote. It will not be for the Tories.

I know and like Trudy. But her majority is ca. 2000. A No Deal Brexit will hit Cumbria hard. Whatever her good local work she cannot count on that saving her.

Does this Cabinet look like one which gives a damn about the people of West Cumbria? Do they even know where it is or what life is like there? I doubt it.

This Cabinet if it understands anything, understands the problems of London, and the problems of the Southern Tory shires. Places where they either can’t win, or can’t lose. They’re obviously banking on huge swathes of Brexit favouring seats, but these aren’t areas they really understand at all.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Whatever, let's not quibble terminology, you know the people I mean.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    First Boris promise broken. No sign of a radical streamlining of government departments. If every Tory MP gets a government job, they can't vote against him. Right?
  • Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    He resigned because No DEal will be catastrophic.
  • Options
    Ishmael_Z said:

The joke doesn't wear off with repetition. Not one bit.
    Ha. Ha.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

(Although if I were to go totally against character and engage in some good old-fashioned online pedantry, I'd say that you're applying a modal average where a median would be more sensible)
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    GIN1138 said:

BoZo really is Spode...
  • Options

Chris said:

Julian Smith
    Looks like a cross between Jude Law and Count Dracula :-)
  • Options
    Mordaunt. Hmmm.

Leader in waiting when this shitfest explodes?
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Yes. Those left redfaced and angry at the idea we might actually cut our cords with the EU three years after we voted to do so.

Let them rant and rave from the backbenches and if they VONC their own party then lets have an election without them as candidates anymore. They have no right to veto what we voted to do years ago.
  • Options
    This weekend polls will be interesting
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,148

OnboardG1 said:

Two years on since the Tory Party “won” on a promise of an exit deal with the EU they have decided to spit in the face of the electorate. As per usual. Those spluttering in rage are the 50% of the population think he will be a poor/terrible prime minister and the 58% of the population who have an unfavourable view of him. This is the most negative, reactionary, backward looking, fearful, authoritarian cabinet in British history.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038
    Cyclefree said:

At a time like this we need, God how we need, a decent opposition.

And instead we have Corbyn’s Labour.

They plus 100 Libs, SNP, Green and PC would be OK. The SWP, sorry 'Corbyn's office' would be neutered. His 'C&S partners' would I hope insist on PR and a confirmatory referendum re whether to leave the EU on the terms offered.
  • Options
    alex. said:

This Cabinet if it understands anything, understands the problems of London, and the problems of the Southern Tory shires. Places where they either can’t win, or can’t lose. They’re obviously banking on huge swathes of Brexit favouring seats, but these aren’t areas they really understand at all.

The particular bit of the UK they really don't understand is Scotland. They're in deep, deep trouble up here. So are Labour of course but that ship has long sailed (and I accepted my fate in the bilges).
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929

Mordaunt. Hmmm.

Leader in waiting when this shitfest explodes?

£10 on Steve Baker at 100-1 is my bet :D
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    HYUFD said:

Scott_P said:
    Yet the number of Tory Party voters to Brexit Party voters down 12%, mainly swapping some Tory Remainers to the LDs for Brexit Party Leavers to the Tories.

56% of 2017 Tories now voting Tory compared to 47% 5 days ago
    Two points, Mr D.

1 - That's not what it says. It's the 19th of June that had them at 47%. May recovered them to 34% BXP, 9% LD, 55% Con as of a fortnight ago.
    Since then, you've recovered 9% from BXP and lost 5% to LDs.

2 - In constituencies where the LDs are second, that's not a good thing because a defector to a second place party is twice as painful as one to a formerly-nonexistent Party, for obvious reasons. It's only when BXP get to the point of actually taking constituencies from you that they become the danger.

However, mindful of Napoleon's maxim, please don't let me (or anyone else) dissuade you or the Pyramid of Pfeffel from this route.
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Amber Rudd has come out of this without any honour. Nicky Morgan has been shifting for some months now.

I think Rudd knows this is her last term as an MP given her seat and majority. I am not sure how well connected she is for jobs afterwards or how wealthy she is already but imagine money/status from being in the cabinet is a bigger factor for her than many others who might be in safer seats, have independent wealth or be towards the end of their careers.

She's independently wealthy. There are plenty of Brexit votes available in Hastings. She has probably lost the council estates in the town whatever she does, but she has a sporting chance in the suburbs and out of town if she doesn't lose too many votes the Brexit Party. Being a hard leaver helps that. If I were her I'd probably do the same as she has done.
This discussion has been closed.