Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Punters pile on to a 2019 general election in reaction to John

Comments

• Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited July 2019
    GIN1138 said:

MaxPB said:

GIN1138 said:

MaxPB said:

I don't think this is a Cummings cabinet. More a Gavin Williamson job.

I don't know, it feels like a Cummings job. One chance to have a revolution so use it etc...
    Cummings wouldn't have agreed to Gove's demotion would he? Or have they fallen out?
    It's not a demotion, though. He's basically minister for no deal prep.
    I thought someone said he's out the cabinet?
    They're wrong. The role always 'attends cabinet', whether it is a full cabinet member varies with each cabinet. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,214

Cyclefree said:

Do you have some difficulty with the English language?

I am not a second home owner in Cumbria. As I have now told you several times.

My husband is a full-time resident there. Has been for years. As is my daughter, who owns and runs her own business, employing 4 people. I have a share in that business.

That gives me a viewpoint which is something other than that of an occasional visitor.

Why you are seeking to delegitimise my voice on the basis of your own Cumbrian purity test I don’t know. But then excluding people on the basis of purity tests seems to be in vogue these days.

I am sorry to get unduly personal, but you have reported at length on this blog on your Cumbrian garden and your Cumbrian kitchen.

And you own a house in Hampstead.

As far as I can see, you own two homes.

Your argument is that you own a home in Hampstead and your husband owns the home in Cumbria.

Well, all right, if you wish for such sophistry, then as a family the Cyclefrees own two homes. Most families own one home.

Except for those who are homeless.

All this is relevant, because second home owners have a different perspective than single home owners. And this I know all too well from Wales.

I have not "de-legitimised" your voice. I have said it is different to a long-term resident who owns a single home in Cumbria.
    Can I gently suggest you look up the concept of separation. And stop trying to be personal because you are making an arse of yourself.

I mainly talk about my London garden. I don’t yet have a Cumbrian garden. I hope to. And a kitchen too.

This discussion is now closed as far as I’m concerned.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,318
    edited July 2019

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

My husband is a full-time resident there. Has been for years. As is my daughter, who owns and runs her own business, employing 4 people. I have a share in that business.

That gives me a viewpoint which is something other than that of an occasional visitor.

Why you are seeking to delegitimise my voice on the basis of your own Cumbrian purity test I don’t know. But then excluding people on the basis of purity tests seems to be in vogue these days.

I am sorry to get unduly personal, but you have reported at length on this blog on your Cumbrian garden and your Cumbrian kitchen.

Your argument is that you own a home in Hampstead and your husband owns the home in Cumbria.

Well, all right, if you wish for such sophistry, then as a family the Cyclefrees own two homes. Most families own one home.

All this is relevant, because second home owners have a different perspective than single home owners. And this I know all too well from Wales.

I have not "de-legitimised" your voice. I have said it is different to a long-term resident who owns a single home in Cumbria.
    I thought you were in NI at some point?

Edit: unless you were talking about Brecon LOL.
    You mean Brycheiniog, I think.
    Come on, bed beckons. Get on with it.

Please for my sanity tell me that you were in NI for a long long time because you presumed to speak for the northern Irish just after admonishing a poster for speaking about Cumbria while not being sufficiently resident there.
    Of course. Bangor.
    So you felt qualified to speak for the northern Irish despite being an incomer Welshman?

Irony has eaten itself. As they say.

Edit: and a thousand times worse to lecture others on not belonging.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    A Japanese paper sums it up perfectly .

“A model nation swallowed up by populism . “

• Options
    Richard_TyndallRichard_Tyndall Posts: 30,963
    TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

notme2 said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Dear me. I explained this a while back. I do not have a vote in Trudy Harrison’s constituency but my husband and daughter do. Daughter will not vote Tory under any circumstances and husband now won’t. He did before. So that’s one vote lost. I am in the process of moving so, depending on when the election is held, I will have a vote. It will not be for the Tories.

I know and like Trudy. But her majority is ca. 2000. A No Deal Brexit will hit Cumbria hard. Whatever her good local work she cannot count on that saving her.

Does this Cabinet look like one which gives a damn about the people of West Cumbria? Do they even know where it is or what life is like there? I doubt it.

Yes, I remember your explanation well. You changed your tune when I pointed out what the electoral law was about second home owners voting (a major problem in parts of Wales).

I had suggested you were a second home owner, and you said you indignantly were not. You owned a house in Hampstead and your husband owned a house in Copeland !!!!

And you pontificate on here about the lack of straightforwardness of our political masters !!!!!!

You may or may not be right that "A No Deal Brexit will hit Cumbria hard". You may or may not be right that this Cabinet "does not give a damn about Cumbria".

But, I would rather hear that from the people of Cumbria. Let them speak for themselves. They don't need help from London, or even from very recently arrived imports to Cumbria.
    Yeah! Send her back.
    The point is Cyclefree hasn't left Hampstead yet.

So, she can't really speak for Cumbria.
    I can and do speak out of my own experience. And I do have experience of West Cumbria. You do not know what that is and yet you have the arrogance to tell me what I can and cannot say.

You are free to say what you like.

But, you are a second home owner in Cumbria, and that clearly makes your viewpoint very different to the typical resident.
    I’m a one home owner in Cumbria. A lovely part of the world.
    Indeed it is beautiful. Like a rainy Northumberland :)
    Cumbria has the wonderful 6 lane M6 and Northumberland has the pathetic 1.5 lane A1.
    So a great place if you want to leave it?
    Having driven it yesterday I can vouch for the fact its a great way to get out of Scotland.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    The betting market on first cabinet minister to leave should be fun.
  • Options
    FF43FF43 Posts: 15,730
    kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    What is he looking at?

The answer better not be 'the sunlit uplands'.

His destiny. Seriously.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Please for my sanity tell me that you were in NI for a long long time because you presumed to speak for the northern Irish just after admonishing a poster for speaking about Cumbria while not being sufficiently resident there.
    Of course. Bangor.
    So you felt qualified to speak for the northern Irish despite being an incomer Welshman?

I quoted a poem on belonging by an Irishman. I reported the sentiments in that poem.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Of course. Bangor.

Bangor is in Northern Ireland...

(beats a hasty retreat after making a factual point not wanting to take sides in the argument)
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Of course. Bangor.
    No, she went of her own accord.
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

This is also a classically disingenous argument because it assumes an association of states that pool sovereignty on issues of trade and customs is equivalent to a nation state of its own, which it most certainly is not. It's like saying that because NATO is a pooling of military resources we're part of the USA (a very silly argument I have had with comrades in the past).

The EU is a nascent nation state. That is the stated goal of the EU's constitution, its founding members, its leading politicians. It is reality. It is already far more integrated than the USA was 200 years ago.

It is disingenuous to view the EU as like NATO. As far as I can tell NATO doesn't unilaterally write new laws and have new laws apply to all its members whether they want them or not, NATO is a series of commitments and obligations we've made in full advance knowledge and we can choose to exit at any time if we choose to do so.

The question isn't if we want to have "an association of states" it is "do we want a country called Europe". If so, be honest and campaign for it - as Ken Clarke and Williamglenn do.
    You should have been honest and campaigned for what leaving the EU would actually mean rather than making up a load of bullshit.

Those in glass houses.
    You mean like saying that leaving the EU would mean leaving the Single Market an Customs Union?

That was done honestly.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9dKcjfeVTs
    That’s my point. The campaign said everything and anything.
    No, it didn't.

The campaign said we would leave the Single Market, leave the Customs Union, leave the jurisdiction of the ECJ, regain control of our laws and borders and seek a trade deal with the EU.

In other words a Canada-style deal. Should not be impossible to achieve.
    Vote Leave said "there is a European free trade zone from Iceland to the Russian border and we will be part of it."

In other words the EEA.
    No, FTA. We wouldn't have left the Single Market in the EEA.

An FTA ticks every box.
    It ticks the "Brexit will be an abject failure" box, so from a Remain perspective, keep pursuing it.
    Why would it? Give me one reason why the UK can't be a separate nation from the EU yet Canada can be separate from the USA and Pakistan can be separate from India.
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    HYUFD said:

I disagree with her on the death penalty, but I've not heard anything xenophobic from her like Theresa "Go Home" May.

I agree entirely with your assessment of May. She was an awful woman and unfit to run a whelk stall.

But the appointment of Patel does genuinely worry me. Her instincts seem to be just as statist and authoritarian as May's with the added concern that she has advocated a return of the death penalty.

I judged May on her actions so would be willing to do the same for Patel but I have to confess to a lot of concern. Certainly I can't see her pushing the sort of soft libertarian agenda you and I would want.
    Patel will go down well with the Asian vote as well as the working class vote due to her tough on crime message which will help the Tories win back Brexit Party voters and win Labour Leave marginal seats.

She is also friends with Narendra Modi which will help in talks with India on a FTA
    You know how I've been reasonably expressive about Priti Patel's wholesale unsuitedness to high office? 2nd gen Pakistani colleague of mine feels rather more strongly.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

dixiedean said:

notme2 said:

Cyclefree said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Dear me. I explained this a while back. I do not have a vote in Trudy Harrison’s constituency but my husband and daughter do. Daughter will not vote Tory under any circums, depending on when the election is held, I will have a vote. It will not be for the Tories.

I know and like Trudy. But her majority is ca. 2000. A No Deal Brexit will hit Cumbria hard. Whatever her good local work she cannot count on that saving her.

Does this Cabinet look like one which gives a damn about the people of West Cumbria? Do they even know where it is or what life is like there? I doubt it.

Yes, I remember your explanation well. You changed your tune when I pointed out what the electoral law was about second home owners voting (a major problem in parts of Wales).

I had suggested you were a second home owner, and you said you indignantly were not. You owned a house in Hampstead and your husband owned a house in Copeland !!!!

And you pontificate on here about the lack of straightforwardness of our political masters !!!!!!

You may or may not be right that "A No Deal Brexit will hit Cumbria hard". You may or may not be right that this Cabinet "does not give a damn about Cumbria".

But, I would rather hear that from the people of Cumbria. Let them speak for themselves. They don't need help from London, or even from very recently arrived imports to Cumbria.
    Yeah! Send her back.
    The point is Cyclefree hasn't left Hampstead yet.

So, she can't really speak for Cumbria.
    I can and do speak out of my own experience. And I do have experience of West Cumbria. You do not know what that is and yet you have the arrogance to tell me what I can and cannot say.

You are free to say what you like.

But, you are a second home owner in Cumbria, and that clearly makes your viewpoint very different to the typical resident.
    I’m a one home owner in Cumbria. A lovely part of the world.
    Indeed it is beautiful. Like a rainy Northumberland :)
    Cumbria has the wonderful 6 lane M6 and Northumberland has the pathetic 1.5 lane A1.
    So a great place if you want to leave it?
    Having driven it yesterday I can vouch for the fact its a great way to get out of Scotland.
    Huh? Driving? To near Grantham? Surely you should have been on the LNER looking out over Berwick. One of the truly great train journeys.
  • Options

The betting market on first cabinet minister to leave should be fun.

I would like to see a market on when/if Boris will lose more ministers than May.
  • Options
    The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979
    nico67 said:

Given Bozos jingoistic rhetoric today I expect he’ll soon go full Trump and portray those refusing to back his right wing coup as traitors and against Britain and the right wing press will peddle this.

Yet Boris appoints JRM who runs a Hedge fund that has bet against Britain? I hope LD get stuck into JRM & Boris on this!
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited July 2019
    Love how Boris has just totally written off the last three years of Theresa May like it never happened.

It's like when Pam woke up from her nightmare in Dallas and an entire season was just written off. :D

Now for The Last Jedi? ;)
  • Options
    edited July 2019

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Of course. Bangor.

(beats a hasty retreat after making a factual point not wanting to take sides in the argument)
    Ha! That was my point. His/her user name sounds Welsh and he was therefore an incomer into NI telling me about "his" roads (quoting Heaney) ie speaking on behalf of the northern Irish and then having the temerity to lecture others on being incomers and not being qualified to opine on where they lived.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    FF43 said:

kle4 said:

Scott_P said:
    What is he looking at?

The answer better not be 'the sunlit uplands'.

His destiny.
    What is a gutter doing that high up then?
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    GIN1138 said:

Love how Boris has just totally written off the last three years like it never happened.

It's like when Pam woke up from her nightmare in Dallas and an entire season was just written off. :D

Apparently Boris' favourite film scene it was reported he told a journalist today was the Baptism scene in the Godfather where Michael Corleone's henchmen kill off his rivals in a revenge attack while his son is being baptised. Today you can see why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUgg-HjyxBI
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

Of course. Bangor.

Ha! That was my point. His/her user name sounds Welsh and he was therefore an incomer into NI telling me about "his" roads (quoting Heaney) having the temerity to lecture others on being incomers.
    Bangor is of course in Wales (as well as N Ireland).

I quoted a poem by Seamus Heaney on "his roads", and the intrusion of outsiders.

I am not an incomer in N Ireland.
  • Options
    Drutt said:

HYUFD said:

I disagree with her on the death penalty, but I've not heard anything xenophobic from her like Theresa "Go Home" May.

I agree entirely with your assessment of May. She was an awful woman and unfit to run a whelk stall.

But the appointment of Patel does genuinely worry me. Her instincts seem to be just as statist and authoritarian as May's with the added concern that she has advocated a return of the death penalty.

I judged May on her actions so would be willing to do the same for Patel but I have to confess to a lot of concern. Certainly I can't see her pushing the sort of soft libertarian agenda you and I would want.
    Patel will go down well with the Asian vote as well as the working class vote due to her tough on crime message which will help the Tories win back Brexit Party voters and win Labour Leave marginal seats.

She is also friends with Narendra Modi which will help in talks with India on a FTA
    You know how I've been reasonably expressive about Priti Patel's wholesale unsuitedness to high office? 2nd gen Pakistani colleague of mine feels rather more strongly.
    Priti Patel is of Indian heritage, obviously no love lost between Pakistan and India even today
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,259
    Posting without comment, as I am rapidly losing the will to live:

" Sorry, let’s just stop for a second and savour that thought, shall we? Boris PM - yay! Our very own columnist who has entertained, galvanised and crikey-ed within these pages for so long, finally has the chance to put into practice what he has preached. I reckon critics who have accused him of a lack of seriousness would struggle to find fault with his first premier-league performance."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/07/24/urgent-pulsing-plucky-boris-factor-remind-us-true-leadership/
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937
    We are also reminded this evening of the almost total absence of talent in the former Conservative and Unionist party
  • Options
    edited July 2019

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

Cyclefree said:

That gives me a viewpoint which is something other thdays.

Please for my sanity tell me that you were in NI for a long long time because yng about Cumbria while not being sufficiently resident there.
    Of course. Bangor.

Ha! That was my point. His/her user name sounds Welsh and he was therefore an incomer into NI telling me about "his" roads (quoting Heaney) having the temerity to lecture others on being incomers.
    Bangor is of course in Wales (as well as N Ireland).

I quoted a poem by Seamus Heaney on "his roads", and the intrusion of outsiders.

I am not an incomer in N Ireland.
    So you were speaking on behalf of the northern Irish but chastising @Cyclefree for speaking on behalf of the Cumbrians?

Am I missing something?

Edit: you said you didn't want to be kept safe or somesuch when I said I was keeping you safe in NI.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    Drutt said:

HYUFD said:

On the plus side, she's a red rag to the bull that is Labour members/supporters looking for Israel-sponsored conspiracy theories.

On the minus side... lots. Including the kernel of truth behind those conspiracy theories.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    edited July 2019

We are also reminded this evening of the almost total absence of talent in the former Conservative and Unionist party

Totally disagree SO - the cabinet is far superior to the previous collection of nodding head grey dullards.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Huh? Driving? To near Grantham? Surely you should have been on the LNER looking out over Berwick. One of the truly great train journeys.
    I was bored driving up the M6, so I swung through Alston, on the Pennines, Lanercost (Roman Wall and ancient priory), Bewcastle (Anglo Saxon cross), then crossed into Scotland at Newcastleton and Hermitage Castle. It took all day and was real badlands. Useful route to know when Scotland closes its border to English refugees from Brexit.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    O/T

It's 31 degrees in Paris right now, at 1 in the morning.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/fr/paris/623/current-weather/623
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

This is also a classically disingenous argument because it assumes an association of states that pool sovereignty on issues of trade and customs is equivalent to a nation state of its own, which it most certainly is not. It's like saying that because NATO is a pooling of military resources we're part of the USA (a very silly argument I have had with comrades in the past).

The EU is a nascent nation state. That is the stated goal of the EU's constitution, its founding members, its leading politicians. It is reality. It is already far more integrated than the USA was 200 years ago.

It is disingenuous to view the EU as like NATO. As far as I can tell NATO doesn't unilaterally write new laws and have new laws apply to all its members whether they want them or not, NATO is a series of commitments and obligations we've made in full advance knowledge and we can choose to exit at any time if we choose to do so.

The question isn't if we want to have "an association of states" it is "do we want a country called Europe". If so, be honest and campaign for it - as Ken Clarke and Williamglenn do.
    You should have been honest and campaigned for what leaving the EU would actually mean rather than making up a load of bullshit.

Those in glass houses.
    You mean like saying that leaving the EU would mean leaving the Single Market an Customs Union?

That was done honestly.
    No, it didn't.

The campaign said we would leave the Single Market, leave the Customs Union, leave the jurisdiction of the ECJ, regain control of our laws and borders and seek a trade deal with the EU.

Vote Leave said "there is a European free trade zone from Iceland to the Russian border and we will be part of it."

In other words the EEA.

An FTA ticks every box.

Only if every box means a much worse deal than we have now.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

The worst it can do is fail to get a deal with the EU, an achievement matched by May's GOATs.....
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Is this really David Mellor? I like his new style if so.

https://twitter.com/GRALambo/status/1154101161898708992
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Totally disagree SO - the cabinet is far superior to the previous collection of nodding head grey dullards.
    Have your doubts about Boris been soothed?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

:open_mouth::open_mouth::open_mouth:
  • Options

The worst it can do is fail to get a deal with the EU, an achievement matched by May's GOATs.....
    The new government can do a lot worse than that. Which is why May's government didn't in the end do it
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

I know. :( I always use the train normally to go to eastern Scotland but I am having to stay up in Aberdeen for few months on a contract and I am staying with a friend out in the sticks so need a car up there to get to the clients office.

Hence the need to drive up and down at the moment. Not something I would otherwise choose to do.

Strangely I do not travel up and down the same way. Going up I always like to go via Jedburgh on the Eastern side and coming back down I always use the supposedly quicker M73/M6/A66 route which google and the Sat Nav say is quicker in spite of being longer.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

This will age really well.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

If by superior you mean containing an even higher quotient of dullards, liars and security risks I completely agree.

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    AndyJS said:

Can't be - not wearing the Chelsea strip.....
  • Options
    edited July 2019

In some respects even worse position than Labour, which has talented on back bench who jezza wont use.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

GIN1138 said:

Love how Boris has just totally written off the last three years like it never happened.

Apparently Boris' favourite film scene it was reported he told a journalist today was the Baptism scene in the Godfather where Michael Corleone's henchmen kill off his rivals in a revenge attack while his son is being baptised. Today you can see why

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUgg-HjyxBI
    I thought his favourite film was the one on his laptop, the one he did not want the woman involved in the row in his flat to see "Get off my fucking laptop etc!" What exactly was he doing on the furniture he so carelessly stained?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

So you were speaking on behalf of the northern Irish but chastising @Cyclefree for speaking on behalf of the Cumbrians?

Am I missing something?

I was quoting a poem by an Irishman (I am not Irish).

It is like quoting Shakespeare (I am not English) or the Bible (I am not Jewish) or Tolstoy (I am not Russian).

The poem (as all good poetry should) transcends place and time. The poem is about the importance of belonging to a place, the importance of tradition and history..

As I was making a direct quote, I used these things: " ".

That means, just to spell it out, I was directly quoting from someone else, I wasn't making words up and putting them in the mouths of an Irishman, or speaking on behalf of the Irish.

It is an Irishman, talking about the Irish experience.

That is an opinion I value. A Cumbrian talking about Cumbria. An Irishman talking about Ireland.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    edited July 2019
    AndyJS said:

O/T

It's 31 degrees in Paris right now, at 1 in the morning.

https://www.accuweather.com/en/fr/paris/623/current-weather/623

Yes and it's unbearable!
  • Options

AndyJS said:

He probably only wares that when he is going to score....
  • Options
    No_Offence_AlanNo_Offence_Alan Posts: 3,825
    MikeL said:

Jo Johnson NOT in the Cabinet.

Attending Cabinet but not in it.

Is that like Corbyn being present, but not involved?
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633

TGOHF said:

The bar isn’t high- the only thing the previous cabinet achieved was pissing off the nation.

This edition will do far better.
  • Options
    https://twitter.com/LauraRound/status/1154101419005423616

Is 13 the right price for next leader for Mordaunt?
  • Options
    DruttDrutt Posts: 1,093
    FF43 said:

The new government can do a lot worse than that. Which is why May's government didn't in the end do it
    Is anyone still saying that leaving without a WA is a manifesto commitment in the absence of a deal?

Wrong.

It's a treaty obligation.
  • Options
    ZephyrZephyr Posts: 438

OnboardG1 said:

Those in glass houses.

That was done honestly.
    No, it didn't.

In other words the EEA.

An FTA ticks every box.
    It ticks the "Brexit will be an abject failure" box, so from a Remain perspective, keep pursuing it.
    Why would it? Give me one reason why the UK can't be a separate nation from the EU yet Canada can be separate from the USA and Pakistan can be separate from India.
    1. Short-termism .
    2. Lack of productivity.
    3. Lack of investment in economy transforming to post industrial.
    4. The approach of the demographic time bomb.
    5. Our labour rates in globalised economy pricing us out the market.
    6. Accustomed to welfare and NHS we will increasingly struggle to afford.
    7. Housing crisis.

It’s not gloom mongering it’s just plain realism that will give way to absolute anger at lack of preparation and action on these issues.

You give one example how UK leaving the EU we built to help us acts as a silver bullet to any of these problems?
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

Those in glass houses.

That was done honestly.
    No, it didn't.

In other words the EEA.

An FTA ticks every box.

That's what you guys claimed three years ago. You lost.

An FTA is consistent with every single claim Vote Leave made.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798

May did get a deal with the EU, which Boris voted in favour of. What it failed to do was get a deal with the EU which would get through the Commons.
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Am I missing something?

I was quoting a poem by an Irishman (I am not Irish).

It is like quoting Shakespeare (I am not English) or the Bible (I am not Jewish) or Tolstoy (I am not Russian).

The poem (as all good poetry should) transcends place and time. The poem is about the importance of belonging to a place, the importance of tradition and history..

As I was making a direct quote, I used these things: " ".

That means, just to spell it out, I was directly quoting from someone else, I wasn't making words up and putting them in the mouths of an Irishman, or speaking on behalf of the Irish.

It is an Irishman, talking about the Irish experience.

That is an opinion I value. A Cumbrian talking about Cumbria. An Irishman talking about Ireland.
    So you were equating the British army in NI with @Cyclefree having a home in Cumbria.

Got it.

Nite.
  • Options
  • Options

AndyJS said:

He probably only wares that when he is going to score....
    Which by the look of him isn't very often these days...
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Boris has at least made my voting decision clearer with this cabinet - vote for whatever party has the best chance of kicking him out, everything else is secondary. Can't see how he survives for long at all without an election. Hes done the political equivalent of the new alpha lion culling all the existing cubs. Lots of enemies and he's finally nailed his colours to the mast now. His initial speech about optimism long forgotten already.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    Zephyr said:

1. Short-termism .
    2. Lack of productivity.
    3. Lack of investment in economy transforming to post industrial.
    4. The approach of the demographic time bomb.
    5. Our labour rates in globalised economy pricing us out the market.
    6. Accustomed to welfare and NHS we will increasingly struggle to afford.
    7. Housing crisis.

It’s not gloom mongering it’s just plain realism that will give way to absolute anger at lack of preparation and action on these issues.

You give one example how UK leaving the EU we built to help us acts as a silver bullet to any of these problems?

I don't see how any of those prevent the UK being an independent nation.

Leaving the EU helps us with these problems by forcing our politicians to actually address our problems rather than pass the buck blaming Brussels for our own issues. It is like a bird being pushed out of its nest because its time to fly.
  • Options
  • Options
    Drutt said:

FF43 said:

Is anyone still saying that leaving without a WA is a manifesto commitment in the absence of a deal?

Wrong.

It's a treaty obligation.
    I'm saying leaving without a deal is worse than not leaving the EU, which is why May didn't do it.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

May did get a deal with the EU, which Boris voted in favour of. What it failed to do was get a deal with the EU which would get through the Commons.
    A deal so dreadful it can't get through the Commons is nothing to be proud about.

We need to either get a new deal that can be taken through the Commons, or leave without a deal, or have an election to elect a new Commons that can ratify a choice.

May wasn't prepared or able to do any of those which is why she failed. Boris looks happy to do any of them.
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,986
    FF43 said:

TOPPING said:

I was bored driving up the M6, so I swung through Alston, on the Pennines, Lanercost (Roman Wall and ancient priory), Bewcastle (Anglo Saxon cross), then crossed into Scotland at Newcastleton and Hermitage Castle. It took all day and was real badlands. Useful route to know when Scotland closes its border to English refugees from Brexit.
    That is lovely country. And yes, badlands. As remote as you can get in England. And remote from the Cabinet...although I may not be able to comment as I haven't lived in any of those places.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

The bar isn’t high- the only thing the previous cabinet achieved was pissing off the nation.

This edition will do far better.
    Will piss off the nation, the EU, and perhaps beyond?
  • Options

OnboardG1 said:

It is disingenuous to view the EU as like NATOat any time if we choose to do so.

Those in glass houses.

That was done honestly.
    No, it didn't.

In other words the EEA.

An FTA ticks every box.

That's what you guys claimed three years ago. You lost.

An FTA is consistent with every single claim Vote Leave made.

No, it is not consistent with all the benefits of EU membership and none of the downsides, because we hold all the cards and they need us more than we need them, which was the central Leave proposition.

Still we are where we are - and our new PM has promised us a fantastic new deal or a painless No Deal. I am looking forward to it.

• Options
    surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    HYUFD said:

Drutt said:

HYUFD said:

Priti Patel is of Indian heritage, obviously no love lost between Pakistan and India even today
    All Asians are not Indian and not all Indians are East African Indian.
  • Options

In some respects even worse position than Labour, which has talented on back bench who jezza wont use.

Indeed - the Tory cupboard is bare.

• Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,466
    nico67 said:

A Japanese paper sums it up perfectly .

“A model nation swallowed up by populism . “

Wrong on both counts I'd say.
  • Options
    Was there anything in the article that would be a reason for her being sacked?
  • Options
    AndyJS said:

Was there anything in the article that would be a reason for her being sacked?
    I meant the level of profile and PM-in-waiting type photo. I can imagine Boris having a fit, but maybe after a long day I am losing it and imagining things.
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527
    Tonight I suspect many of our countrymen will feel much empathy for how most US citizens felt in November 2016 when the results became clear - and even with the many decent citizens of Germany on 30th January 1933.
  • Options
    Night all. I need to recover.
  • Options
    Despite what our Boris fans think, most left of centre folk seem supremely relaxed about today. It is time to piss or get off the pot. If Boris gets the EU to cave and deliver everything he wants, I, for one, will be delighted. He can then solve all the problems of the country which weren't due to Europe.
    If Boris goes for No Deal, and it is painless, as promised, I, for one, will be delighted. He can then solve all the problems of the country which weren't due to Europe.
    Win-win.
    I am taking the patriotic view. I choose to believe in Boris!
  • Options
    justin124 said:

Tonight I suspect many of our countrymen will feel much empathy for how most US citizens felt in November 2016 when the results became clear - and even with the many decent citizens of Germany on 30th January 1933.

Somewhat OTT? This has been coming since 2016. Hardly a visceral shock to anyone paying the slightest attention.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    justin124 said:

The good news is an election is 99% certain to happen within about 8 months at the most.
  • Options

kle4 said:

A deal so dreadful it can't get through the Commons is nothing to be proud about.

We need to either get a new deal that can be taken through the Commons, or leave without a deal, or have an election to elect a new Commons that can ratify a choice.

May wasn't prepared or able to do any of those which is why she failed. Boris looks happy to do any of them.
    A deal which BJ and JRM voted for.
  • Options
    The odds have changed again. An election in 2019 is now favourite.

2019: 1.71 / 1.83
    2020: 2.9 / 3.85

https://www.betfair.com/exchange/plus/politics/market/1.132099836
  • Options
    MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,289
    edited July 2019
    Final appointment of the day (at 11.58pm):

@10DowningStreet
    40m
    40 minutes ago

Kwasi Kwarteng @KwasiKwarteng has been appointed Minister of State at the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy @beisgovuk. He will also attend Cabinet.
  • Options
    oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    MikeL said:

@10DowningStreet
    40m
    40 minutes ago

Kwasi Kwarteng @KwasiKwarteng has been appointed Minister of State at the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy @beisgovuk. He will also attend Cabinet.

They are going to need a bigger table and more chairs
  • Options
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

Drutt said:

HYUFD said:

There are over 6 times more Indian Asians than Pakistani Asians though
  • Options
    Priti Patel in Indian dress.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X75fv4WZTek
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Drutt said:

HYUFD said:

As usual you are talking complete tosh and hoping no one would notice.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethnic_groups_in_the_United_Kingdom

Bangladeshi and Pakistanis outnumber Indians and a majority of Indians in the UK are not Narendra Modi fans. His support base is mostly Gujrati.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    MikeL said:

@10DowningStreet
    40m
    40 minutes ago

The 4th of 5 authors of Brittania Unchained in the Cabinet. Obvious where we are headed. The choice is crystal.
    Chris Skidmore must be gutted. Did he offend Bozza in a previous life?
  • Options

kle4 said:

A deal which BJ and JRM voted for.
    They were wrong to do so IMO.
  • Options
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Drutt said:

HYUFD said:

Bangladeshi and Pakistanis outnumber Indians and a majority of Indians in the UK are not Narendra Modi fans. His support base is mostly Gujrati.
    Bangladeshis are no fans of Pakistanis and are closer to Indians, after all Bangladesh was created out of war with Pakistan supported by the Indian army.
    As your link shows British Indians are the largest Asian group in the UK, Modi won a landslide earlier this year in the Indian general election across the board
  • Options
    MikeL said:

@10DowningStreet
    40m
    40 minutes ago

I would have thought Kwasi was more deserving than many other shitholes BJ has appointed.
  • Options
    AndyJS said:
    JJ's political principles are even lower than BJ's.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Drutt said:

HYUFD said:

India is a very complex country socially and religiously. You should read about it before trying to make generalisations. Pakistan is interesting as well particularly the view in the 1940s about it being a more reliable pro western ally. An interesting film in the last few years portrayed Mountbatten as the last Governor before partician.
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    He looked shocked, deflated and mournful when Boris was declared the winner. He probably knows Boris better than anyone! He is not the sort to turn on his brother imo but his demeanor spoke volumes.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Leaving the EU helps us with these problems by forcing our politicians to actually address our problems rather than pass the buck blaming Brussels for our own issues. It is like a bird being pushed out of its nest because its time to fly.

Because the people who have been avoiding blame by making up lies about the EU will totally take responsibility themselves now and won't at all blame everything on domestic enemies.
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Drutt said:

HYUFD said:

Bangladeshis are no fans of Pakistanis and are closer to Indians, after all Bangladesh was created out of war with Pakistan supported by the Indian army.
    As your link shows British Indians are the largest Asian group in the UK, Modi won a landslide earlier this year in the Indian general election across the board
    Bangladeshis are Muslims. Modi's sidekick Amit Shah has accused Bangladeshis of being vermin and accused Bangladeshis of forcing out Hindus.
    You should see a Bangladesh-India cricket match to see how "close" they are to each other.
    Bangladesh has grown >6% per year for the last 20 years. The current growth rate = 8%. In 2021 , Bangladesh GDP per capita will exceed India's.
    https://www.adb.org/countries/bangladesh/economy

Modi won because of a divided opposition. He hardly won even 10 seats in Southern India.

How did you come up with the stat that there were 6 times more Indians than Pakistanis ?
  • Options

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Drutt said:

HYUFD said:

India is a very complex country socially and religiously. You should read about it before trying to make generalisations. Pakistan is interesting as well particularly the view in the 1940s about it being a more reliable pro western ally. An interesting film in the last few years portrayed Mountbatten as the last Governor before partician.
    Partician = partition
  • Options

AndyJS said:
    He looked shocked, deflated and mournful when Boris was declared the winner. He probably knows Boris better than anyone! He is not the sort to turn on his brother imo but his demeanor spoke volumes.
    Thought about stabbing his brother in the back? But then realised profit is all?
  • Options
    mwjfrome17mwjfrome17 Posts: 158
    We have swapped Penny Morduant (well respected) for Theresa Villiers (she is insane) and reinstated Gavin Williamson (shit pottery salesman and disgraced leaker) .
    Dominic Raab (shallow sex pest) is our foreign secretary ( I suppose he fits in well with the one before last).
    So depressed.
  • Options
    mwjfrome17mwjfrome17 Posts: 158
    Amber Rudd will regret not resigning from this shower of shit.
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

MikeL said:

@10DowningStreet
    40m
    40 minutes ago

The 4th of 5 authors of Brittania Unchained in the Cabinet. Obvious where we are headed. The choice is crystal.
    Chris Skidmore must be gutted. Did he offend Bozza in a previous life?
    Have found his wrong think. "If we just continue to talk about Brexit, Conservatism will not survive."
  • Options
    edited July 2019

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

Drutt said:

HYUFD said:

But the appointment of Patel does genuinely nt.
    Patel will go down well with the Asian vote as well as back Brexit Party voters and win Labour Leave marginal seats.

Bangladeshis are no fans of Pakistanis and are closer to Indians, ae board
    Bangladeshis are Muslims. Modi's sidekick Amit Shah has accused Bangladeshis of being vermin and accused Bangladeshis of forcing out Hindus.
    You should see a Bangladesh-India cricket match to see how "close" they are to each other.
    Bangladesh has grown >6% per year for the last 20 years. The current growth rate = 8%. In 2021 , Bangladesh GDP per capita will exceed India's.
    https://www.adb.org/countries/bangladesh/economy

Modi won because of a divided opposition. He hardly won even 10 seats in Southern India.

How did you come up with the stat that there were 6 times more Indians than Pakistanis ?
    India, population 1.3 million, Pakistan population 212 000.

If Bangladeshis see their GDP per capita grow that will mean so will their wealth in the UK making them more likely to be Tories.

Given I campaigned with members of Conservative Friends of Pakistan in the local elections there are even Pakistani Tories, indeed Javid is of Pakistani heritage so with the new Chancellor and Home Secretary the first Pakistani Britain and Indian Britain to hold the roles the Tories have both the biggest British Asian groups covered in the new Cabinet
  • Options
    Surely the odds are higher on cancelling HS2 than a 2019 election?
  • Options
    edited July 2019

Surely the odds are higher on cancelling HS2 than a 2019 election?

I don't think HS2 will be cancelled altogether. Bits of it might be. Apparently Johnson wants to keep the northern section.
  • Options
    MangoMango Posts: 1,013
    MaxPB said:

My parents seemed pretty happy with it "finally criminals will pay for their crimes, not get free holidays" etc...

Unless their crimes are running treacherous private foreign policies, leaking details of cabinet security meetings, etc.
  • Options
    edited July 2019
    This is the earliest report I can find about Priti Patel, when she was selected in 2006 as part of Cameron's famous A-list of candidates. (It also mentions Joanne Cash in Westminster North).

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1534854/Tories-pick-British-Asian-woman-in-safe-seat.html
  • Options
    "Boris Johnson faces Tory fury after brutal cabinet purge

The new PM's ruthless purge of Theresa May loyalists from the cabinet has provoked anger among many Conservative MPs.
    By Jon Craig, chief political correspondent"

https://news.sky.com/story/boris-johnson-to-make-commons-debut-as-pm-after-cabinet-massacre-11770004
This discussion has been closed.