Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » As Johnson launches CON membership polling finds his backers m

Comments

• Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766

AndyJS said:

AndyJS said:

Boris has reached 85 public endorsements, with 73 still to declare.

What are the odds on him getting less than 85 actual votes on Thursday?!
    It would make Tory MPs look like a bunch of liars if that happens. That's one of the reasons I've been taking a keen interest in the public endorsements.
    DD experienced a similar drop off in terms of real support back in 2005. What you say and what you do in the privacy of the voting booth are two very different things.
    Is lying about a liar a white lie though? Boris doesn't believe in Truth. Live by the fib, die by the fib. Jolly japes, hope it comes to pass.
  • dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,798
    Guardian reports at least 5 Tories vote Aye.
  • TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 40,885

TOPPING said:

JackW said:

HoC - Dominic Grieve will VONC if Conservative government forces a no deal.

Funny then that he stood on a no deal is better than a bad deal manifesto.

If he wont be a Tory at an ensuing election. If he defects to Lib Dems do you think he would hold his seat or would the Tories regain it?
    Country before Party? Alien for a Leaver the concept but it does happen.
    People on both sides of the divide are capable of having principles. The constant smearing helps no-one.

Grieve seems to be enjoying grandstanding rather too much for my liking. I don't care for anyone who postures in that way.
    Francois more your cup of Rosie is it?
  • RobDRobD Posts: 58,932
    dixiedean said:

Tory scum.

:D
  • GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,071
    Government wins
  • IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,004
    Opposition loss 298 v 309
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,886
    RobD said:

dixiedean said:

Tory scum.

:D
    Clarke and Grieve plus who?
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Good win for May - 10 more years.
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,542
    HA HA. Grieve’s antics today almost certainly get him deselected, but then he lost the vote.
  • Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    There seems to be an assumption in many comments here that, if Boris or another leader engineers an election before October 31st, the Brexit Party would be neutralised into irrelevance. That sounds like cloud-cuckoo land to me. Admittedly they'd do much more damage after October 31st, but that doesn't mean they'd do no damage before.
  • numbertwelvenumbertwelve Posts: 5,405
    IanB2 said:

I’m quite surprised actually, though if we get to the pointy end in September/October I suspect the numbers would sufficiently shift.

Government wins

I do love our sovereign Parliament. :smiley:
  • JackWJackW Posts: 14,787
    Sajid Javid up shortly.

IanB2 said:

I’m quite surprised actually, though if we get to the pointy end in September/October I suspect the numbers would sufficiently shift.
    Can't be voted on again, surely? Or is Bercow only consistent in his anti-Brexit posturing?
  • eekeek Posts: 24,698

There seems to be an assumption in many comments here that, if Boris or another leader engineers an election before October 31st, the Brexit Party would be neutralised into irrelevance. That sounds like cloud-cuckoo land to me. Admittedly they'd do much more damage after October 31st, but that doesn't mean they'd do no damage before.

Before October 31st the damage will be enough for there to be another hung parliament (unless Boris can get Nigel not to stand anywhere) - after October 31st the damage will be existentially...
  • TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Sandpit said:

HA HA. Grieve’s antics today almost certainly get him deselected, but then he lost the vote.

He could join the Lib Dem’s or something.
  • oxfordsimonoxfordsimon Posts: 5,831
    TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

JackW said:

If he wont be a Tory at an ensuing election. If he defects to Lib Dems do you think he would hold his seat or would the Tories regain it?
    People on both sides of the divide are capable of having principles. The constant smearing helps no-one.

Grieve seems to be enjoying grandstanding rather too much for my liking. I don't care for anyone who postures in that way.
    Not at all. Again with the smearing.

I am a remain voter - but one with deep reservations about the direction of the EU in terms of the legal systems it is allowing to develop.

I would not vote remain now. But I am far, far, far from being an ERG type.

I am someone who is very happy to be European in the cultural and geographical meaning of that work. I just don't feel comfortable with the way the EU has developed. And yes, I believed the economic arguments during the referendum - which is what swayed me at the last minute.
  • Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,916
    Mr. Twelve, I also thought the Government would lose that vote.
  • rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 53,626
    AndyJS said:

JackW said:

His association can't re-adopt him in those circumstances. surely?
    I assume he's working on the theory that he's not going to be reselected anyway
  • OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    The opposition to no deal in the Commons is much weaker than claimed. Maybe Johnson can push it through without an election.
  • surbiton19surbiton19 Posts: 1,469
    Get prepared. No Deal is no longer a possibility but a distinct probability. I cannot see a way out of this impasse where several Labour MPs are voting with the Tories.

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

JackW said:

I am a remain voter - but one with deep reservations about the direction of the EU in terms of the legal systems it is allowing to develop.

I am someone who is very happy to be European in the cultural and geographical meaning of that work. I just don't feel comfortable with the way the EU has developed. And yes, I believed the economic arguments during the referendum - which is what swayed me at the last minute.
    So basically you cancel me out. I voted Leave as the Euro will fall apart at some point and ideally we should be as far away from the EU as possible when that occurs.

However the implementation has been so bad that to be honest its safer to be in the EU then outside it given the quality of our politicians....
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,650

What do you mean by "the legal systems it is allowing to develop"?
    Looks to me like there were some absentees on the opposition side, and whoever called the vote quickly knew what they were doing
  • SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,834
    A lot of abstentions, it seems. I doubt there will be next time.
  • GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,673

I thought this was supposed to be the last ever time to get No Deal off the table?

Until the next time... ;)
  • ChrisChris Posts: 10,991

There also seems to be an assumption that Johnson will be able to fight an election on a policy of No Deal without causing a significant split in the Tory party with anti-No-Deal Conservatives standing against the official candidates.
  • bigjohnowlsbigjohnowls Posts: 21,652
    JackW said:

Sajid Javid up shortly.

Cant see the membership voting for him myself
  • ArtistArtist Posts: 1,882
    This was a vote on whether parliament wanted the opposition parties plus Tory Europhiles to use parliamentary time to mess about coming up with futile ways to try and stop no deal whilst offering no alternative to fill the void. It wasn't an endorsement of no deal.

abstentions or just MPs unable to be there in time. Remember Boles had to fly back at zero notice to vote...
  • Big_G_NorthWalesBig_G_NorthWales Posts: 59,942
    edited June 2019
    TGOHF said:

Good win for May - 10 more years.

We could do a lot worse
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911

That is overthinking it. Is Corbyn going to say he would rather have a Tory Brexit than an election?

He's spent the last two years working pretty hard towards it.
    He's spent 2 years saying "I want another election, I want another election". If the PM calls for an election the idea he could say "actually no thanks" is ludicrous.
    It is not ludicrous. The Tories are heading for a car crash either way in October why would the opposition want to let them off the hook. Corbyn maybe desperate to get into the driving seat but he doesn't want to be sitting there on October 31st.

I am not happy with the way the European courts are allowing activist judges to expand their influence over our ability to set our own laws - and yes, I do acknowledge that part of that is the ECHR and part of it is ECJ and so only, in part, related to our direct relationship with the EU.

But I am uncomfortable how things have developed under those courts and those relationships need to be redefined.
    Chris said:

There also seems to be an assumption that Johnson will be able to fight an election on a policy of No Deal without causing a significant split in the Tory party with anti-No-Deal Conservatives standing against the official candidates.

Yep, that too. And he'd lose a lot of votes to the LibDems or even Labour.
    So who are the Red Tories ?

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

JackW said:

LOL so saying you are a fan of Mark Francois is a smear! So we do agree on these matters although I am disappointed that you should feel the need to insult him.

Not that I want to re-run the debate but what about the EU did you dislike?

JackW said:

Sajid Javid up shortly.

Cant see the membership voting for him myself
    +1 given the avatar of some Tory members on here - I would expect to see rivers of blood before he voted for someone of none anglo saxon descent...
  • williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 47,650

I am not happy with the way the European courts are allowing activist judges to expand their influence over our ability to set our own laws - and yes, I do acknowledge that part of that is the ECHR and part of it is ECJ and so only, in part, related to our direct relationship with the EU.

But I am uncomfortable how things have developed under those courts and those relationships need to be redefined.
    Can you give any example of ECJ judicial activism? I think even @Richard_Tyndall would disagree with you on that.
    Great line from Ruth Davidson introducing Javid:

"The Conservatives have always done well with a leader brought up above the shop."
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Can't be voted on again, surely? Or is Bercow only consistent in his anti-Brexit posturing?
    I’m not sure the motion would be substantially the same given that it was simply to take control of the parliamentary timetable. If it had been a defeat on legislation that would have sought to block no deal then yes, I’d agree.

It seems to me though that we are possibly getting to a place where Mays deal + some cosmetic tweaks to the backstop might get through. Whether the EU will put that on the table remains to be seen though.

Chris said:

Yep, that too. And he'd lose a lot of votes to the LibDems or even Labour.

Doesn't today's vote make a GE much less likely? MPs have given Johnson the time and space he says he needs to deliver the deal he has promised. Of course, if he fails to deliver that deal, MPs can make an assessment as to whether crashing out is in the UK's interests or not.
    If I were a citizen I would be quite irritated at all these cabinet ministers spending time launching their party leadership bids instead of, you know, running the country.

Oh wait I am and I am.
  • AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Pakistan collapsing at Taunton.
    OllyT said:

That is overthinking it. Is Corbyn going to say he would rather have a Tory Brexit than an election?

He's spent 2 years saying "I want another election, I want another election". If the PM calls for an election the idea he could say "actually no thanks" is ludicrous.
    It is not ludicrous. The Tories are heading for a car crash either way in October why would the opposition want to let them off the hook. Corbyn maybe desperate to get into the driving seat but he doesn't want to be sitting there on October 31st.
    Why have your name attached to the disaster when you can sit on the sidelines but help it along...

Equally, unless Boris is elected in July and goes for an election immediately it's easy to argue that the time frame doesn't allow an election to occur - remember you need 2 weeks between an election result and Parliament actually sitting so the latest an election could be held is something like October 10th.

Once September comes around it would be perfectly legitimate to claim there isn't time within the timeframe available to hold an election. However, were you to get A50 extended to December I would be happy for an election. You move Boris.

Doesn't today's vote make a GE much less likely? MPs have given Johnson the time and space he says he needs to deliver the deal he has promised. Of course, if he fails to deliver that deal, MPs can make an assessment as to whether crashing out is in the UK's interests or not.

That's probably right.

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

I’m not sure the motion would be substantially the same given that it was simply to take control of the parliamentary timetable. If it had been a defeat on legislation that would have sought to block no deal then yes, I’d agree.

It seems to me though that we are possibly getting to a place where Mays deal + some cosmetic tweaks to the backstop might get through. Whether the EU will put that on the table remains to be seen though.
    It remains the only gig in town. Whoever's hand is on tiller. I'm sure the EU will be accommodating with the PD.

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

That would be truly unfair on May.

RobD said:

IanB2 said:

That would be truly unfair on May.
    It would, but politics is an unfair game.

That's probably right.

I suspect it also takes a prorogue off the table.

I think that's off the table anyway.
    "Not the same old insiders with the same old school ties"
    Oh and for better or worse (for the Labour Party) there's no way Jezza can not agree to a GE. Although as has been pointed out this looks less likely immediately.

That's probably right.
    Writing my comment below I think the timing of this leadership contest makes a general election impossible.

You need 5 weeks for an election and it takes 2 weeks roughly to swear MPs in. You then need a vote for the queen's speech so that adds another week.

So to get any legislation through a new Parliament the election probably needs to be in September.
    eek said:

That's probably right.
    Writing my comment below I think the timing of this leadership contest makes a general election impossible.

You need 5 weeks for an election and it takes 2 weeks roughly to swear MPs in. You then need a vote for the queen's speech so that adds another week.

So to get any legislation through a new Parliament the election probably needs to be in September.
    Yes, it's certainly incredibly tight, and may not be practical at all. Quite apart from anything else, there's a lot of legislation that would be absolutely essential in the event of an imminent no-deal crash out. That's why I keep saying Boris and some of the others are bonkers to make a fetish out of the 31st October.
  • rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 57,971
    Javid doing quite well. Better than I expected. Strong on growth, strong on public services.

True.

10 Tories voted with Labour today. That's before the leadership election is done and the new government is formed. If I were a No Dealer I would not be taking much heart from today's vote. Apparently seven Labour MPs voted against, too. I am not sure they would do so again if they were then voting for No Deal.

TOPPING said:

Oh and for better or worse (for the Labour Party) there's no way Jezza can not agree to a GE. Although as has been pointed out this looks less likely immediately.

You can if the timing doesn't work and looking at the time frame unless an election is called in July for September it really doesn't work...
  • brendan16brendan16 Posts: 2,315
    Chris said:

In the event that No Deal happens, and goes badly wrong, how many deaths definitely attributable to disruption of medical supplies could the prime minister survive?

You should watch the current BBC series Years and Years with Emma Thompson playing a future Populist PM who seems to be based on Katie Hopkins. It’s a future post Brexit world where the EU seems to have collapsed and the poor and homeless have been ‘disappeared’ to ‘secure locations’.

You would positively hyperventilate!

edited June 2019
    IDS talking absolute bollocks on PM.

He wants to negotiate a FTA while in some kind of implementation period on WTO terms.

So why on earth didn't he support the WA which would have allowed us to do that but without the WTO bit (using the discredited Article 24).

His stupidity defies belief. Worse, he thinks we are as stupid as he is.

Which is why of course we will get the WA.
    RobD said:

IanB2 said:

Of course. Today's motion was about dedicating 25 June to a Brexit related motion. A future proposition - should the opportunity arise - to devote a different slice of parliamentary time to a Brexit related motion is a different proposal.

eek said:

That's probably right.

Yes, it's certainly incredibly tight, and may not be practical at all. Quite apart from anything else, there's a lot of legislation that would be absolutely essential in the event of an imminent no-deal crash out. That's why I keep saying Boris and some of the others are bonkers to make a fetish out of the 31st October.
    The damage there has however already been done.
    I wouldn't go this far, but pretty impressive:

https://twitter.com/janemerrick23/status/1138840677608054786

eek said:

That's probably right.

So basically you need an election on September 12th - when remarkably enough I'm on holiday...
  • SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,542
    AndyJS said:

I’m all for betting on cricket, but no way I’m getting involved in games involving Pakistan.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,218
    Probably best for Boris to keep the Remainers in the tent. He won't want them causing trouble on the backbenches. Moreover, they'll act as a useful firewall, with the Ultras blaming the europhile rotters in the Cabinet for the collapse of his Brexit strategy rather than him.
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

You can if the timing doesn't work and looking at the time frame unless an election is called in July for September it really doesn't work...
    He must always be up for it. It has been the only coherent Labour Party line throughout.

True.

10 Tories voted with Labour today. That's before the leadership election is done and the new government is formed. If I were a No Dealer I would not be taking much heart from today's vote. Apparently seven Labour MPs voted against, too. I am not sure they would do so again if they were then voting for No Deal.

I am afraid there are more than 7 potential Red Tories.
    So who were the missing opposition MPs?
  • ByronicByronic Posts: 3,578

Looks plausible:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/12/boris-johnson-brexit-general-election

Boris may well think his best shot is a honeymoon election, running against the supposed spectres of the Commission on the one hand and Corbyn on the other.
    Then he gets his majority of 170 and is free to do...

what?

It's a huge risk for him. Not least because Labour would undoubtedly include a referendum with a Remain option in its manifesto if Johnson was looking to get a a mandate for No Deal.

You think Corbyn will go for a referendum? Aww bless. Touching
  • BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,098
    brendan16 said:

Chris said:

In the event that No Deal happens, and goes badly wrong, how many deaths definitely attributable to disruption of medical supplies could the prime minister survive?

You should watch the current BBC series Years and Years with Emma Thompson playing a future Populist PM who seems to be based on Katie Hopkins. It’s a future post Brexit world where the EU seems to have collapsed and the poor and homeless have been ‘disappeared’ to ‘secure locations’.

You would positively hyperventilate!

It's a great series - scary though!
    TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

He must always be up for it. It has been the only coherent Labour Party line throughout.
    So he would agree a general election on October 31st?
    Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

I’m all for betting on cricket, but no way I’m getting involved in games involving Pakistan.
    Brilliant with cash out 10/1 5 mins ago now 4/1

Probably best for Boris to keep the Remainers in the tent. He won't want them causing trouble on the backbenches. Moreover, they'll act as a useful firewall, with the Ultras blaming the europhile rotters in the Cabinet for the collapse of his Brexit strategy rather than him.
    What's Hammond and Gauke got to lose if Gauke is no confidenced and Hammond is retiring...
    edited June 2019
    Byronic said:

Looks plausible:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2019/jun/12/boris-johnson-brexit-general-election

Boris may well think his best shot is a honeymoon election, running against the supposed spectres of the Commission on the one hand and Corbyn on the other.

what?

It's a huge risk for him. Not least because Labour would undoubtedly include a referendum with a Remain option in its manifesto if Johnson was looking to get a a mandate for No Deal.

Corbyn needs to shore up the remain side of things without destroying the northern seats. For him and Labour a referendum is probably the least worst option...
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

I think so yes. And he would fight it on the Cons being frit and he would no doubt announce he had pre-agreed something with the EU.

Who is nominally in charge when parliament breaks up?
    TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

I think so yes. And he would fight it on the Cons being frit and he would no doubt announce he had pre-agreed something with the EU.

The existing PM....
    eek said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

eek said:

TOPPING said:

The existing PM....
    Gah!! WA it is then.
  • Stark_DawningStark_Dawning Posts: 9,218
    eek said:

What's Hammond and Gauke got to lose if Gauke is no confidenced and Hammond is retiring...
    Good point. Perhaps all this purging won't do Boris any favours - there'll be no Remain bogeymen left to blame when it all implodes.
  • MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 49,886

I said a very, very long time ago that I would like to see a Boris v Javid contest to replace May. That would be one to make the membership pause before casting their vote.

Sandpit said:

AndyJS said:

Brilliant with cash out 10/1 5 mins ago now 4/1
    make that 2/1 and CASHOUT

True.

I am afraid there are more than 7 potential Red Tories.

Not if it comes down to positively voting for a No Deal.

Byronic said:

Looks plausible:

what?

Happy to bet on it for a sum you suggest if Johnson goes to the country looking for a No Deal mandate. Any amount you like.

• Nigel_ForemainNigel_Foremain Posts: 13,766
    TOPPING said:

He wants to negotiate a FTA while in some kind of implementation period on WTO terms.

So why on earth didn't he support the WA which would have allowed us to do that but without the WTO bit (using the discredited Article 24).

He is a rare beast. A stupid person who is actually even more stupid than the rest of us think he is.

I said a very, very long time ago that I would like to see a Boris v Javid contest to replace May. That would be one to make the membership pause before casting their vote.
    Javid 34 and Loadsom 9 is bonkers.
  • kyf_100kyf_100 Posts: 3,902

Byronic said:

Looks plausible:

what?

Happy to bet on it for a sum you suggest if Johnson goes to the country looking for a No Deal mandate. Any amount you like.

We'll know he really is SeanT if he suggests £10k! :wink:
    Dont see Aussies defending 50 off 7 at tiny Taunton

Unless they bowl them out of course
  • MikeLMikeL Posts: 7,268
    Brexit not before 2022 has drifted a touch.

Is there a sense that today's vote implies No Brexit is less likely?

Can anyone establish why Lab motion failed? Surely not entirely due to absences - are there signs of fewer Con rebels / more Lab rebels than before?
  • OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,911

Mr. Twelve, I also thought the Government would lose that vote.

I bet Johnson was praying they would!
  • The_TaxmanThe_Taxman Posts: 2,979

I doubt that Javid will do very well with the Tory membership I have mixed with. I have seen Tory members quit the party over ethnic minority candidates in the past as they said they could not vote for them. I will not mention what else they said but I disagreed with them and advised them to look beyond the superficial differences they perceive X or Y displays....
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    edited June 2019
    OllyT said:

Corbyn can't say "I don't want an election because I want the UK to disastrously crash under the Tories first". He may think it but he can't say or do it.
    Javid has drifted down a bit.
    I thought CUK were going to wait until new LD leader is elected before getting into these discussions?

edited June 2019

TOPPING said:

He is a rare beast. A stupid person who is actually even more stupid than the rest of us think he is.
    Somebody told me an anecdote about him in ministerial office, they told me IDS was aloof and not trusted by the civil service. I think IDS is a complete prat and his obsession with Europe is only surpassed by his other obsession with benefits.

It would not have surprised me if IDS, when he was at the DWP would have got signs outside of jobcentres stating "Arbeit macht frei" meaning "work sets you free" !
    LDs would be well advised to tell them where to go. Soubry has no place in the the Liberal Democrat Party - the tensions between her political compass and the LDs would just be too great.
  • Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    It only strengthens opposition to no deal if they weren't prepared to resign to oppose no deal.

If they were prepared to then they can oppose from the backbenches but it spikes any principled resignation from happening.

LDs would be well advised to tell them where to go. Soubry has no place in the the Liberal Democrat Party - the tensions between her political compass and the LDs would just be too great.
    Mike Gapes would be my final pick if i were LDs

Yet the LDs went through the lobbies with the Tories for 5 years! In politics you are grateful for the support you attract! LD cannot be too picky about defectors unless they have anti-Semitic views or something equally repellent..
This discussion has been closed.