Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » On the betting markets a no deal Brexit moves from a 37% chanc

Comments

• Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125

So May has recognised that it is a Hung Parliament she's in, and that her own Party is not completely united on what it wants in this crucial matter, and possibly listening to others and reaching for compromise and consensus could be the way forward.

She realised that quicker than I expected, to be fair. Some might suggest she could have realised somewhat sooner...

To be fair, Corbyn is someone who is happy to meet with terrorists who want to kill his fellow MPs, but will storm out of a meeting when one of his ex-MPs is present.

I'm unsure it's fair to expect any reasonable compromise or consensus from Corbyn - at least, if he sees you as the enemy (which most of us would be).
    To be actually fair, Douglas Hurd was talking to the Provo high command in 1976, 7 years before Corbyn became an MP, and it didn't do Hurd's further career any harm. While Corbyn only met Gerry Adams in 1996, 6 months after Adams had been elected as an MP, and a year after Adams had met President Clinton.
    As for storming out of the meeting including Umunna, Corbyn and May had been meeting under Privy Council rules for 20 minutes prior and having got precisely nowhere, there was no point in Corbyn staying. As a separate point, Umunna was not a leader of a political party, only at the head of a private company with interesting financial sources and banking. Somebody in no 10 was unsurprisingly, shit stirring.
    As to who has the most blood on their hands, several million dead by Blair's involvement in Iraq, probably millions more by Cameron in Libya and Syria, while the continuing supply of UK weapons and personnel to Saudi for the destruction of the Yemen is not something that TMay's government should be proud of.
    While Corbyn is criticised for raising justified concerns over the actions and decisions of the Israeli Government and their use of the IDF in attempting to control the Palestinians by violent and increasingly illegal and dangerous means.
    Yippee ki yay.......
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,987
    Mr. Jonathan, it's arguably the most stupid of all possible outcomes.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    edited April 2019
    TGOHF said:

Westminster VI polling should be interesting over the weekend.

Still think we are heading for Euro elections - what larks.

It will be interesting. Notably the Tories were riding ridiculously high when trying to do what May wanted, and having been defeated and forced to do other things she warned her party she did not want to do they have dropped and will likely drop further. I doubt they'll see it that way though.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,929
    isam said:

So what goes wrong from here? For me, the only concern is No Deal. Once that is off the table, the only outcomes possible are:
    * A Brexit so soft it is almost Remain.
    * A referendum on May’s Deal v Remain
    * Remain
    No Deal is receding, but it could still happen. That’s the worry.

May's reaching out to Corbyn fails (because Corbyn wants it to fail).

A majority in Cabinet insists she stands down - immediately. There are widescale resignations, but Hunt takes over to implement a No Deal Brexit. The EU shits the bed. A series of micro-deals are resolved in the run up to a mid-May departure, secured by agreeing to pay £20 billion.

A fast-track Tory leadership is implemented. New PM by leaving date. General Election called for September. No Deal is managed surprisingly well. A very pro-business Budget is implemented. The Brexit boil is lanced.

Corbyn goes back to attacking austerity, poverty, housing - usual politics returns.
    The prize for Corbyn is being able to present himself as the man who finally delivered Brexit, after the Tories abjectly failed to. That should be enough to see him win the next election. I reckon he'll go for it.

Corbyn’s Brexit will essentially be in name only. If that is delivered, the Tories will split and Labour - even under him - would win a majority.

I’m not sure I could continue to support such a Brexit.
    We have to face facts... our side won despite most of politicians whose job it was to implement the result wanting us to lose. As can be seen from their filibustering shenanigans over the last 34 months, they & their supporters would have no qualms about ignoring the referendum result altogether, so any kind of Leave should be celebrated. Four years ago, when we were constantly told the public weren’t interested and people were betting on how much Remain would win by, we would have taken this.
    I think once we're out, support for the EU falls away. If it's a very soft Brexit (Something like Boles plan) then the majority of the population will just want to get on with their lives outside the political structures of the EU but very close economically.
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

All outcomes are stupid. What do you expect from Brexit? Ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,798
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

So what goes wrong from here? For me, the only concern is No Deal. Once that is off the table, the only outcomes possible are:
    * Remain

A majority in Cabinet insists she stands down - immediately. There are widescale resignations, but Hunt takes over to implement a No Deal Brexit. The EU shits the bed. A series of micro-deals are resolved in the run up to a mid-May departure, secured by agreeing to pay £20 billion.

A fast-track Tory leadership is implemented. New PM by leaving date. General Election called for September. No Deal is managed surprisingly well. A very pro-business Budget is implemented. The Brexit boil is lanced.

Corbyn goes back to attacking austerity, poverty, housing - usual politics returns.
    The prize for Corbyn is being able to present himself as the man who finally delivered Brexit, after the Tories abjectly failed to. That should be enough to see him win the next election. I reckon he'll go for it.

Corbyn’s Brexit will essentially be in name only. If that is delivered, the Tories will split and Labour - even under him - would win a majority.

We have to face facts... our side won despite most of politicians whose job it was to implement the result wanting us to lose. As can be seen from their filibustering shenanigans over the last 34 months, they & their supporters would have no qualms about ignoring the referendum result altogether, so any kind of Leave should be celebrated. Four years ago, when we were constantly told the public weren’t interested and people were betting on how much Remain would win by, we would have taken this.
    I think once we're out, support for the EU falls away. If it's a very soft Brexit (Something like Boles plan) then the majority of the population will just want to get on with their lives outside the political structures of the EU but very close economically.
    I think so too. But I dont think we will get there. Leavers for remain and the European Remain Group as they should be known will have seen to that.
  • Options
    isamisam Posts: 40,931
    edited April 2019

isam said:

* Remain

I just don’t see the point in a Brexit where we stay in both the SM + CU, pay significant contributions and free movement continues but get no votes or vetoes.

What would be the point?
    Not much, but the symbolism of no longer being a member of the EU would at least be a start, and make it easier to gradually release ourselves from it in the future.

It also makes it impossible for the establishment to forget that over 50% of voters disagreed with them on something they held dear & presumed was the will of the nation.
  • Options
    ChrisChris Posts: 11,134
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

* Remain

With the country split down the middle, there's clearly no way of satisfying everyone, and being out of the political structures but retaining a close trading relationship seems like the most sensible compromise to me.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,289

But less disliked than any of the others. Which as a resolution for a foolish binary choice, isn't so bad.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,314
    Surely Jezza will ask for a confirmatory GE as the price of cooperation now.
  • Options
    TheJezziahTheJezziah Posts: 3,840
    edited April 2019
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,822
    edited April 2019
    TGOHF said:
    Letwin again! :D

That's exactly what the British people will be saying at the next general election when the Tories are out of the arses.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,035

It hasn't been widely reported, but as well as the pro-Bexit nutter who stopped Eurostar traffic at the weekend, two improvised explosive devices left on tracks in Nottinghamshire and ?Cambridgeshire? are believed to have been left as part of a pro-Brexit campaign.

The report I read said that they were designed to set signals to red, rather than cause permanent damage. This would have caused lots of disruption, but no risk of injury.

Are you sure about them being explosive?
    No - that was scuttlebutt.

I'd disagree that something 'designed' to turn signals to red not having any risk of injury - least of all amongst themselves. It assumes a certain amount of competence amongst the perpetrators.
  • Options
    OblitusSumMeOblitusSumMe Posts: 9,143
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

* Remain

I think enthusiastic support for the EU well stay firm among that demographic also likely to be in favour of a Republic and STV for the Commons.

What it might be is a more motivating objective than those other positions.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    In Autumn 2018 I listened to an ex cabinet minister who said Theresa May would never agree to No Deal and everything that has happened since confirms that view. It seem surprising the betting moved as far as 37%.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

Yes of course. Bye, bye Tories. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

* Remain

Yes. A comparison can be made I think with Arsenal supporters and Arsene Wenger’s departure... I’d say it was close to 50/50, and I was a Remainer who hated the antics of the extreme leavers, wept when the decision went against us, wanted a continuity Wenger man to take over, was suspicious of Emery, the full shebang of Remain emotions.

A year on and I’m perfectly happy with how things are
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    E
    isam said:

isam said:

* Remain

I just don’t see the point in a Brexit where we stay in both the SM + CU, pay significant contributions and free movement continues but get no votes or vetoes.

What would be the point?
    Not much, but the symbolism of no longer being a member of the EU would at least be a start, and make it easier to gradually release ourselves from it in the future.

It also makes it impossible for the establishment to forget that over 50% of voters disagreed with them on something they held dear & presumed was the will of the nation.
    The order of events should have been establishment out first , EU second. But we might get there in the end.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,632
    Jezza's pitch to May:

"One solution - Revolution!"

Laters, comrades.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Norm said:

In Autumn 2018 I listened to an ex cabinet minister who said Theresa May would never agree to No Deal and everything that has happened since confirms that view. It seem surprising the betting moved as far as 37%.

Except Theresa May is no longer in control of events.....
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Brexit secretary getting a kicking on R4. Defending the PM isn’t much fun.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

E

isam said:

isam said:

* Remain

What would be the point?

The order of events should have been establishment out first , EU second. But we might get there in the end.
    Hopefully their behaviour since June 2016 will see to that. I can’t think that public trust in politicians has ever been lower, there must be an opportunity for a new party to exploit.

And I don’t mean those same as it ever was new Radical Establishment rascals TIG/Chuka!! 😂
  • Options
    mattmatt Posts: 3,789
    TOPPING said:

Referendum surely? In line with labour Party policy and would be a confirmatory action.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    TGOHF said:

Brexit secretary getting a kicking on R4. Defending the PM isn’t much fun.

By who - ERG members who've repeatedly voted with Corbyn against a deal.
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,937

* Remain

I think Corbyn's plan for Brexit still sees an end to Freedom of Movement (as well as being outside the CAP, CFP, etc). Losing Freedom of Movement feels like a big loss to me and is far from being BINO.

I don’t think Corbyn would choose ending FoM as a hill to die on. Some cosmetic changes, no more.

• Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Pulpstar said:

isam said:

* Remain

But it is support in the political parties that matters. If we have a close relationship then rejoining is easy practically and no problem politically for Labour. I don't think it would be much problem for the Tories either if all the Brexiters have torn their membership cards up and found somewhere else to go.

I think we are back in in 10 years.
  • Options

So May has recognised that it is a Hung Parliament she's in, and that her own Party is not completely united on what it wants in this crucial matter, and possibly listening to others and reaching for compromise and consensus could be the way forward.

She realised that quicker than I expected, to be fair. Some might suggest she could have realised somewhat sooner...

To be fair, Corbyn is someone who is happy to meet with terrorists who want to kill his fellow MPs, but will storm out of a meeting when one of his ex-MPs is present.

I'm unsure it's fair to expect any reasonable compromise or consensus from Corbyn - at least, if he sees you as the enemy (which most of us would be).
    To be actually fair, Douglas Hurd was talking to the Provo high command in 1976, 7 years before Corbyn became an MP, and it didn't do Hurd's further career any harm. While Corbyn only met Gerry Adams in 1996, 6 months after Adams had been elected as an MP, and a year after Adams had met President Clinton.
    As for storming out of the meeting including Umunna, Corbyn and May had been meeting under Privy Council rules for 20 minutes prior and having got precisely nowhere, there was no point in Corbyn staying. As a separate point, Umunna was not a leader of a political party, only at the head of a private company with interesting financial sources and banking. Somebody in no 10 was unsurprisingly, shit stirring.
    As to who has the most blood on their hands, several million dead by Blair's involvement in Iraq, probably millions more by Cameron in Libya and Syria, while the continuing supply of UK weapons and personnel to Saudi for the destruction of the Yemen is not something that TMay's government should be proud of.
    While Corbyn is criticised for raising justified concerns over the actions and decisions of the Israeli Government and their use of the IDF in attempting to control the Palestinians by violent and increasingly illegal and dangerous means.
    From that misdirection and whataboutism, I'm unsure you'd know how to be 'fair' if you tried...
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,190
    isam said:

Pulpstar said:

Yes. A comparison can be made I think with Arsenal supporters and Arsene Wenger’s departure... I’d say it was close to 50/50, and I was a Remainer who hated the antics of the extreme leavers, wept when the decision went against us, wanted a continuity Wenger man to take over, was suspicious of Emery, the full shebang of Remain emotions.

A year on and I’m perfectly happy with how things are
    Funnily enough, the stand-off between Emery and Ozil felt a bit like Brexit. It's a shame we don't have football opinion polling but I think there's a bit of an inverse correlation between wanting Wenger out and thinking the sun shines out of Ozil's backside. So when Emery wasn't playing him, there was a lot of cognitive dissonance, which I found very amusing.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,122
    isam said:

Thank God we have been released from the grip of the Establishment by a ragged-trousered army of Old Etonians and their billionaire hedge fund paymasters.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

* Remain

Given the impossibility of reconciling the political objectives of May and Corbyn, I am not sure receding is right. I fear it may actually depend on Letwin-Cooper.

No Deal needs to be a deliberate decision from here. It’s clear the EU does not want to be blamed for one, so the UK government and Parliament now have to agree to allow one to happen.
  • Options

Norm said:

That is true to an extent but neither the EU or Labour want No Deal so only the small chance of an accidental one need be factored into the betting odds. Even then I wouldn't entirely trust her not to revoke at the last minute in extremis.

• Options
    Barclay now making personal attacks on Corbyn on R4. What a way to start a negotiation!
  • Options

IanB2 said:

* Remain

Given the impossibility of reconciling the political objectives of May and Corbyn, I am not sure receding is right. I fear it may actually depend on Letwin-Cooper.

No Deal needs to be a deliberate decision from here. It’s clear the EU does not want to be blamed for one, so the UK government and Parliament now have to agree to allow one to happen.
    If the May-Corbyn talks break down, as is surely most likely given their respective characters and constraints, the question is what happens next. Unless we have Letwin-Cooper as protection.
  • Options
    Norm said:

Norm said:

That is true to an extent but neither the EU or Labour want No Deal so only the small chance of an accidental one need be factored into the betting odds. Even then I wouldn't entirely trust her not to revoke at the last minute in extremis.

I’d say that the most likely No Deal scenario is May asking for a short extension, the EU offering a longer one and May saying No. I cannot see it just happening anymore.

• Options
    matt said:

TOPPING said:

Referendum surely? In line with labour Party policy and would be a confirmatory action.
    Something popular with many of his potential supporters and that would split the Tories would certainly be a clever choice. Corbyn should simply insist the House has a free vote on the matter before the WA with his tweaks is passed. A free vote protects Labour's divisions whilst still presenting the government with a big problem.
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    Comment superfluous:

https://twitter.com/MarcusFysh/status/1113330771471884290

There were lists circulating the other day of MP combinations for new compromises. Marcus Fysh should be putting one together with Steve Brine.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,079
    isam said:

You want to own the establishment by teaching the government that if they ignore the likes of Rupert Murdoch, Mervyn King or Nigel Lawson, there’ll be trouble?
  • Options
    Mr. B2, it's idiotic.

May's legitimising Corbyn as a potential PM. You can't do that whilst simultaneously attacking him. (Well, not if you want to maintain even a semblance of intelligence).
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,028
    On a narrow 52% to 48% Leave win and with the 2017 general election producing a hung parliament rather than a landslide for the Tories on a hard Brexit platform a softer Brexit was probably inevitable and the ERG voting against May's original Deal has made it even softer than it could have been.

That said a clear majority of Leave voters in the polls and a slightly smaller majority of Tory voters now back Leave with No Deal as their preferred Brexit outcome increasing the chances of a hard Brexiteer like Boris or Raab succeeding May as Tory leader
  • Options

Mr. B2, it's idiotic.

May's legitimising Corbyn as a potential PM. You can't do that whilst simultaneously attacking him. (Well, not if you want to maintain even a semblance of intelligence).

Is she legitimising Corbyn, or delegitimising Brexit?
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    TOPPING said:

If necessary Corbyn can be ignored, the most favoured option of a majority of the Commons is clearly for a Deal plus Customs Union and that clearly applies to most Labour MPs too given only 10 Labour MPs opposed Clarke's amendment, the key thing is to get the Withdrawal Agreement passed by whatever means possible
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Comment superfluous:

There were lists circulating the other day of MP combinations for new compromises. Marcus Fysh should be putting one together with Steve Brine.

For all the people who think this is a terrible idea the pivot to a second referendum with May's deal there vs remain is still a viable alternative.

Edit: That is if enough Tory MPs decide it is that terrible.
  • Options
    Mr. HYUFD, I think the implications for the Conservative leadership depend how we leave. If we do end up with a departure in name only, then I agree with you that a more hardline contender is likely to win.

If we end up with an actual departure, then only if an individual overtly wants to change course will such a position actually matter, and instead the contest will be more orthodox, with a focus on personal charisma and political potential rather than the spotlight being on their EU position (I imagine most prospective leaders would be glad if they could just say "The UK's position regarding the EU is settled, let's look to the future").
  • Options

isam said:

You want to own the establishment by teaching the government that if they ignore the likes of Rupert Murdoch, Mervyn King or Nigel Lawson, there’ll be trouble?
    All too frequently, 'the establishment' is taken to be the influential people at or near power who I disagree with and do not like (and who may just have two heads) - whilst the influential people at or near power who I agree with are good, solid people. ;)
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,828
    kamski said:

Genuine question : why are the euro elections seem as such an insurmountable issue? If a longer extension is needed and UK doesn't take part in euro elections in May the EU just passes a rule saying eg :
    Under the circumstances UK meps sit for a few weeks longer
    Problem solved?

Leaving aside the fact that for the last fifty-odd years the EU and it's predecessors have tried to increase representation, not decrease it, there are logistic problems in "getting a law passed". If it's not treaty-based then it had to go thru the stages of getting the Commission, the Council and European Parliament to agree the change, right in the middle of an election. If it's treaty-based then it takes several months to change the treaties, and it's usually years. When you add in the fact that nobody has actually asked them to do this yet, you see the problem.

[Tl:Dr the EU doesn't turn on a dime]
  • Options
    JRM getting rattled and trying to bully the female R4 presenter is not a good look for him.

He is an absolute and utter ****.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

* Remain

If the May-Corbyn talks break down, as is surely most likely given their respective characters and constraints, the question is what happens next. Unless we have Letwin-Cooper as protection.
    I understand if talks breakdown, TM will table a series of indicative votes on monday and the government will act on the one that comes through
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    JRM losing it stroppily on R4! After being asked about his A4D RT.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    TGOHF said:

Westminster VI polling should be interesting over the weekend.

Still think we are heading for Euro elections - what larks.

Despite what GIN thinks I expect the polling will not see that big a change, Deltapoll at the weekend had a narrow majority of both Tory and Labour voters backing the Deal plus Customs Union, however it was neither' s first choice, Tory voters first choice was Leave with No Deal and Labour voters first choice was revoke Article 50 or EUref2. Do not forget Deal plus Customs Union would be a compromise for Remainers as well as Leavers.

I expect the biggest gainers at the weekend will be Farage's new Brexit Party or UKIP if Leavers are going to protest anywhere
  • Options
    edited April 2019

isam said:

Thank God we have been released from the grip of the Establishment by a ragged-trousered army of Old Etonians and their billionaire hedge fund paymasters.
    Politicians on the whole are part of the elite establishment, it’s not worth trying to play that card really. It’s the voters that disagreed with the establishment status quo.
  • Options

Comment superfluous:

Amidst the current crisis there must be no plaice for levity.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,394

* Remain

I think Corbyn's plan for Brexit still sees an end to Freedom of Movement (as well as being outside the CAP, CFP, etc). Losing Freedom of Movement feels like a big loss to me and is far from being BINO.

I don’t think Corbyn would choose ending FoM as a hill to die on. Some cosmetic changes, no more.

He wouldn’t because his view is the more immigration the better.
  • Options
    matt said:

TOPPING said:

That was then. Things have changed.
  • Options
    Can anybody think of a reason why we shouldn't, as a country, start political measures against Brunei wrt their rather medieval new laws?

There are times when 'condemnation' is not enough. Before anyone starts, I'm not talking about war, but something more than just tut-tutting.
  • Options

Mr. B2, it's idiotic.

Tell that to the ERG who've happily voted with him on at least 3 occasions
  • Options
    tottenhamWCtottenhamWC Posts: 352

IanB2 said:

IanB2 said:

* Remain

I understand if talks breakdown, TM will table a series of indicative votes on monday and the government will act on the one that comes through
    Eminently sensible. Hope that's true.
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,308
    So May has finally made her choice and it is not to the advantage of the ERG position. Who would have thought that that could happen? Pretty much anybody with average intelligence I would say which of course leaves a lot of ERG members in the dark. They will probably still get a Brexit although that remains less than guaranteed but it will be a much softer Brexit than they could have had by supporting May's deal from the outset.

The priority remains getting this sorted. The economy has surprised even me with its robust response to our imminent departure but investment and capital spending are undoubtedly being affected by people not knowing what the rules might be in 8 days time. The irresponsibility of our political class has consequences, as the ERG are now finding out.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

* Remain

He has come out as against exploitation of immigrant workers and the undercutting of the British low paid, which are the two major problems with FOM.

I’d guess he wants to make it harder for big corporates to profit from it anymore too, which is it’s main driver.
  • Options
    tottenhamWCtottenhamWC Posts: 352

* Remain

The smart (Labour) play for Corbyn is to support her deal conditional on a referendum. Not sure he will do that though...
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

If necessary Corbyn can be ignored, the most favoured option of a majority of the Commons is clearly for a Deal plus Customs Union and that clearly applies to most Labour MPs too given only 10 Labour MPs opposed Clarke's amendment, the key thing is to get the Withdrawal Agreement passed by whatever means possible
    She's asked him into the tent. He has a what, 40-55% say in what happens next. She has supreme confidence in the ability of the Conservatives to win a GE so why or how on earth could she refuse?
  • Options
    Mr. Felix, no wonder things are so salty.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,130
    TOPPING said:

JRM getting rattled and trying to bully the female R4 presenter is not a good look for him.

Yep.
    When someone tries to draw some great distinction between the AfD and Le Pen's FN, you can assume that person didn't have much of a moral compass in the first place.
  • Options
    Current Betfair implied probabilities on leaving the EU:

This year: 51%
    Next year: 16%
    Some time: 7%
    Never: 25%

(Bit of licence used in describing the last two.)
  • Options
    CD13CD13 Posts: 6,351
    OGH is arguing that 52 - 48 is no mandate for hard change. I look forward to that argument if the Scots vote for independence by the same margin. The referendum was about hard change, it wasn't about the CU or about whether to accept Cameron's so-called better deal.

The risk is now that if Parliament decide the result of referendums, what is the point of them? Given that most people have little or no choice about their MP; a 25k majority or a choice between two parties with both being Leavers or Remainers, what choice is that?

I'm sure the more fanatical Remainers don't care as long as they get their own way. They'll hope BINO will be enough and the voters settle down and go along with what their 'betters' decide. More in relief that the MPs squabbling has finished.

I'm far from convinced that will happen,.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 41,995

Still better than May who is totally useless
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

Politicians on the whole are part of the elite establishment, it’s not worth trying to play that card really. It’s the voters that disagreed with the establishment status quo.
    Suppose JRM et al won and implemented whatever flavour of Brexit their tiny, warped, idiotic, moronic brains wanted. Why would that not then be the establishment status quo?
  • Options

Tories conveniently ignore their partnerships with dictators and despots around the world, they are far more dangerous than Corbyn for certain.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

She's asked him into the tent. ...
    Lady Diana Mayo and Sheikh Ahmed Ben Hassan?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

She's asked him into the tent. He has a what, 40-55% say in what happens next. She has supreme confidence in the ability of the Conservatives to win a GE so why or how on earth could she refuse?
    Of course May will not be leading the Tories at the next general election, her legacy is solely bound up now in passing a Brexit Deal
  • Options

TOPPING said:

Yep.
    When someone tries to draw some great distinction between the AfD and Le Pen's FN, you can assume that person didn't have much of a moral compass in the first place.
    It took me a few seconds to figure out which one is supposed to be the good ones... I guess AFD considering the context but aren't FN if anything a bit less dodgy then AFD?

A very low bar which they could scrape over, although that is based on only a little knowledge.
  • Options
    edited April 2019

Mr. HYUFD, I think the implications for the Conservative leadership depend how we leave. If we do end up with a departure in name only, then I agree with you that a more hardline contender is likely to win.

If we end up with an actual departure, then only if an individual overtly wants to change course will such a position actually matter, and instead the contest will be more orthodox, with a focus on personal charisma and political potential rather than the spotlight being on their EU position (I imagine most prospective leaders would be glad if they could just say "The UK's position regarding the EU is settled, let's look to the future").

I think from this point after May's original Deal was rejected again a more BINO Brexit Deal is most likely thus boosting the chances of hard Brexiteers succeeding May as Tory leader
  • Options
    CD13 said:

OGH is arguing that 52 - 48 is no mandate for hard change. I look forward to that argument if the Scots vote for independence by the same margin. The referendum was about hard change, it wasn't about the CU or about whether to accept Cameron's so-called better deal.

The risk is now that if Parliament decide the result of referendums, what is the point of them? Given that most people have little or no choice about their MP; a 25k majority or a choice between two parties with both being Leavers or Remainers, what choice is that?

I'm sure the more fanatical Remainers don't care as long as they get their own way. They'll hope BINO will be enough and the voters settle down and go along with what their 'betters' decide. More in relief that the MPs squabbling has finished.

How much change you can get away with depends on whether it can continue to command support, not whether you can claim it's consistent with some distant mandate.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

While we are ruled by Remainers we have to take what we can get. My example the other day was if you want your house band to perform Anarchy in the UK, but your house band is Coldplay, don’t expect it to sound like the Sex Pistols.
  • Options

* Remain

FoM is two-way, of course. There is going to be more immigration whoever is in charge, but I agree that Corbyn will favour a very relaxed regime.

• Options
    I should have said I've no problems with a confirmatory referendum. Do you want the agreed deal? Yes or no? But where does a remain option come from?
  • Options
    HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

HYUFD said:

TOPPING said:

Of course May will not be leading the Tories at the next general election, her legacy is solely bound up now in passing a Brexit Deal
    That is the kind of pivot that will see you do well as a politician :smile:

Who cares who leads the Tories at the next election. Jezza is holding talks with Tezza and for him it is cake and eat it time.
  • Options
    isam said:

isam said:

* Remain

What would be the point?

Expensive symbolism just to suit some xenophobic losers.
  • Options
    Blue_rogBlue_rog Posts: 2,019
    CD13 said:

Excellent post. I've avoided this forum for quite a while as the remainer bias was too apparent. I've pretty much lost faith in all politicians now and will be in a real quandary whether or not I even vote next time. CD13 makes a very strong point. Why bother when nothing you do changes anything? Even the manifestos at the last election have been shown to be meaningless as the so called representatives of the people just do what they want.

With the typical British phlegm, I doubt if there will be any mass protests or civil unrest however.
  • Options
    edited April 2019
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

Suppose JRM et al won and implemented whatever flavour of Brexit their tiny, warped, idiotic, moronic brains wanted. Why would that not then be the establishment status quo?
    That would read so much better without the gratuitous insults.

Perhaps it would be, so what? Although in the context of the last 20 years or so of British political thought, I don’t think the ERG are the establishment. That would be Cameroon/Blairites
  • Options
    CD13 said:

I should have said I've no problems with a confirmatory referendum. Do you want the agreed deal? Yes or no? But where does a remain option come from?

To uphold the spirit of the last referendum result, the question should be May's deal or no deal. I could also support a referendum on thos terms.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

So May has finally made her choice and it is not to the advantage of the ERG position. Who would have thought that that could happen? Pretty much anybody with average intelligence I would say which of course leaves a lot of ERG members in the dark. They will probably still get a Brexit although that remains less than guaranteed but it will be a much softer Brexit than they could have had by supporting May's deal from the outset.

The priority remains getting this sorted. The economy has surprised even me with its robust response to our imminent departure but investment and capital spending are undoubtedly being affected by people not knowing what the rules might be in 8 days time. The irresponsibility of our political class has consequences, as the ERG are now finding out.

Was that you on GMS yesterday David, Was a David L spokesman for Advocates on.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

You are deliberately missing the point. It is quite possible for Scotland to be independent and be within a Single Market and Customs Union with rUK. It's even possible to keep the same currency. If INDY2 just asked yes or no, such a position is entirely compatible with yes.
  • Options
    isam said:

* Remain

He has come out as against exploitation of immigrant workers and the undercutting of the British low paid, which are the two major problems with FOM.

I’d guess he wants to make it harder for big corporates to profit from it anymore too, which is it’s main driver.

Corbyn’s solution is stronger unions. It’s not a bad one if ending workplace exploitation is your priority.

• Options
    Mr Glenn,

In the LDs and many Remainer's mind, 'distant ' means the day before. The mindset of a small child.

Having a Remain option on any further referendum means ignoring a previous result you didn't agree with. Why would anyone vote again when MPS decide anyway?
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

Perhaps it would be, so what? Although in the context of the last 20 years or so of British political thought, I don’t think the ERG are the establishment. That would be Cameroon/Blairites
    I wouldn't want you to be in any doubt as to my view of those people.

Meanwhile "I don't think the ERG are the establishment" must surely go down as a hall of famer PB quote.
  • Options
    isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

The Cameroon/Blairites are the ones responsible for progressive estrangement from the rest of the EU over the last 20 years or so, under the influence of establishment figures like Rupert Murdoch.
  • Options
    Good morning folks.

Reflecting on the move by TM yesterday I would compare it to Kinnock's put down of militant. TM has directly faced down ERG who were just as disruptive as militant and has moved the conservatives towards a one nation party

The irony in this is the crass behaviour of ERG themselves in overplaying their hand in sending in the letters to vonc TM far too early, then TM wins a vonc in her government, and in the last week promising to stand down on brexit providing her space to act as she has

I understand TM has given the talks with Corbyn until friday and in the absence of agreement TM will put forward indicative votes on monday to arrive at the will of the HOC, which she has said she will implement

Everything from Norway to customs union and referendums are very much still in play
  • Options
    AlastairMeeksAlastairMeeks Posts: 30,340
    CD13 said:

From the fact that it is currently by far the most popular option in the opinion polls at present and may well command a majority even before any run-off took place.
  • Options
    CD13 said:

Mr Glenn,

In the LDs and many Remainer's mind, 'distant ' means the day before. The mindset of a small child.

Having a Remain option on any further referendum means ignoring a previous result you didn't agree with. Why would anyone vote again when MPS decide anyway?

"Why would anyone vote again when MPS decide anyway?"

Remind me how MPs get their jobs.
  • Options

isam said:

* Remain

Corbyn’s solution is stronger unions. It’s not a bad one if ending workplace exploitation is your priority.

I’ve always found it strange that a party founded on strong unions was so relaxed about FOMs effect on the lowest paid. I was brainwashed into being a Labour supporter as a child, and it seemed to be in conflict with what I saw as Labour values. If you have the time I’d strongly recommend listening to this podcast.

https://m.soundcloud.com/unherd-confessions/maurice-glasman-rec
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,901

Good morning folks.

Reflecting on the move by TM yesterday I would compare it to Kinnock's put down of militant. TM has directly faced down ERG who were just as disruptive as militant and has moved the conservatives towards a one nation party

The irony in this is the crass behaviour of ERG themselves in overplaying their hand in sending in the letters to vonc TM far too early, then TM wins a vonc in her government, and in the last week promising to stand down on brexit providing her space to act as she has

I understand TM has given the talks with Corbyn until friday and in the absence of agreement TM will put forward indicative votes on monday to arrive at the will of the HOC, which she has said she will implement

Everything from Norway to customs union and referendums are very much still in play

It wasn’t a direct face down. She didn’t mention them.
  • Options
    A quick question to more knowledgeable heads.

We would have had trade deals before we joined the EEC - treaty with Portugal and the CTA come to mind. Were these deals repealed when we joined or are they just superceded by the EU treaties? If we leave would these deals be reactivated? I've noticed that the CTA is mentioned quite a bit when discussing settled status etc.
  • Options

CD13 said:

Mr Glenn,

CD13 said:

Mr Glenn,

By saying they’ll respect referendum results then plotting to overturn them?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Barclay now making personal attacks on Corbyn on R4. What a way to start a negotiation!

Brilliant!

What a sensible way to endear yourself to the man you want to get you out of the shit.
  • Options

isam said:

* Remain

Yes Corbyn's thought processes are rather different to the Labour MP and activist mainstream who define themselves by their remaineriness. I'm not writing off the chances of something emerging today just yet.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

isam said:

TOPPING said:

isam said:

isam said:

I wouldn't want you to be in any doubt as to my view of those people.

Meanwhile "I don't think the ERG are the establishment" must surely go down as a hall of famer PB quote.
    If you ignore the context, even when it is explicitly emphasised, any quote can be twisted. Put it up on your wall and score it 1-0 to you if you need to.
  • Options
    Jonathan said:

Good morning folks.

It wasn’t a direct face down. She didn’t mention them.
    Yes you are correct but I was making the comparision
This discussion has been closed.