Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » You can’t blame Bercow for enforcing what is a sensible preced

Comments

• Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762

I've heard chip butty used. Never heard of a stotty.

They got that wrong. "Stotty" is a word of the NE. They used it at Durham.
    I hesitate to alarm MD, but there is a certain amount of cultural interchange between North Yorkshire and the Prince Bishopric.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,325
    Yep. I got a nice profit from the position I took at Xmas, and am still holding some in hope of a further boost when the delay is agreed.
  • Options
    another_richardanother_richard Posts: 25,115
    A universe in which the North-East is part of Yorkshire ?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Employment has reached 76.1%; real wages are up by 1.5%.

Its increasingly difficult to reconcile the employment data with the GDP data.
  • Options
    mwadamsmwadams Posts: 3,145
    I wonder to what extent Bercow's ruling is a response to the transparent attempt to make the deal look "different" last time by simply reformatting it? If anything showed contempt for parliament that was it.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
    kinabalu said:

There seems to be a weird contradiction wherein Leavers seem reluctant to take part in democratic protests or public displays of support in any great numbers, while we're told if their desires are thwarted that the rivers of Leaverstan will be foaming with much blood. Otoh Remainers turn out in their 100s of 1000s, yet the chances of them resorting to violent acts of terrorism are precisely zero whatever the outcome.

Leaverloons are more likely to get violent than Remainaics. I can vouch for that from time spent at College Green. The Remainers down there are essentially eccentrics, but one picks up more than a whiff of something deeply unpleasant if one gets too close to some of the Leavers. And I don't mean just armpit.
    Just so.

I'm sure this guy's invite to Question Time is winging its way to him as I type.

https://twitter.com/Jamken22/status/1106293699766566912
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

Sean_F said:

Unskilled jobs are really easy to find at the moment. An HR manager I know is currently offering jobs if they fulfil the criteria 'they look like they might actually turn up'.

It is the mother of all boom/bust cycles. Low pound plus stockpiling for Brexit = lots of jobs. I wouldn't bet on it continuing for long.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    I think it's an OK ruling from Bercow. The effect as I see it is to make it more difficult, and perhaps impossible, for Mrs May to pursue an attritional approach of continually bringing her Deal back, seeking to chip away at the margin of defeat until it finally squeaks through at MV4 or 5 or 6 etc. No bad thing if this approach is now ruled out because that would have been a highly sub-optimal way to gain parliamentary approval for Brexit. In practice what the ruling probably means is that the Deal will have one more shot (MV3) and this will be fired only if and when it is guaranteed to hit the target. I think that is fair enough.
  • Options
    Wulfrun_PhilWulfrun_Phil Posts: 4,604
    IanB2 said:

Motion passed. Speaker promptly resigns, as do his deputies.

House has to elect replacements. More delay.
    Not necessarily. Suspending Standing Orders is accepted as a reasonable thing to do in exceptional circumstances, but not simply when the government wants to use its majority to override the rules. If there really is a majority for May's deal then, given the moment of national crisis, I don't think the Speaker would even need to think of resigning.

What the ruling does do - and we should be grateful - is make the government think whether it might do something more useful than keep failing with the same proposal and doing nothing else to resolve the matter. It also has the benefit that we will soon know how long the extension offered by the EU is going to be.
    If it is so easy to suspend parliamentary standing orders, how easy would it be for the Conservative Party to change theirs to allow a challenge to be brought to the leadership of their party more than once every 12 months? Are there any circumstances in which May could be forced to stand down if she refuses all counsel to go of her own volition? It seems absurd that the UK can be going through a constitutional crisis without the governing party having any means to challenge the very person whose obduracy is causing it.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,892
    malcolmg said:

I do think the picture editors have done a more entertaining job than the headline writers.

Bercow is his own worst enemy (not while I'm alive, says Andrea) - a procedurally perfectly defensible move (arguably a week late) done before the government tabled any motion, thus saving it some embarrassment, snookered by his smug pompous hectoring style.

Came across well to me.
    Me too. Who'd have thought this ex Monday clubber would turn out to be a giant among pygmies
  • Options

IanB2 said:

Not necessarily. Suspending Standing Orders is accepted as a reasonable thing to do in exceptional circumstances, but not simply when the government wants to use its majority to override the rules. If there really is a majority for May's deal then, given the moment of national crisis, I don't think the Speaker would even need to think of resigning.

What the ruling does do - and we should be grateful - is make the government think whether it might do something more useful than keep failing with the same proposal and doing nothing else to resolve the matter. It also has the benefit that we will soon know how long the extension offered by the EU is going to be.
    If it is so easy to suspend parliamentary standing orders, how easy would it be for the Conservative Party to change theirs to allow a challenge to be brought to the leadership of their party more than once every 12 months? Are there any circumstances in which May could be forced to stand down if she refuses all counsel to go of her own volition? It seems absurd that the UK can be going through a constitutional crisis without the governing party having any means to challenge the very person whose obduracy is causing it.
    I commented last year when the letters went in they were premature and like most things with ERG they had not thought through the consquences of TM winning. TM is now in place until December unless the cabinet (people in white coats as they say) decide to ask her to go

Your last sentence ignores the fact TM has survived a vonc in both herself and her goverment in the last few months.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Real economy vs paper economy - they haven't been the same for a while. Plenty of jobs, plenty of people in jobs reliant on food banks as the job doesnt pay the bills
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019

kinabalu said:

There seems to be a weird contradiction wherein Leavers seem reluctant to take part in democratic protests or public displays of support in any great numbers, while we're told if their desires are thwarted that the rivers of Leaverstan will be foaming with much blood. Otoh Remainers turn out in their 100s of 1000s, yet the chances of them resorting to violent acts of terrorism are precisely zero whatever the outcome.

Leaverloons are more likely to get violent than Remainaics. I can vouch for that from time spent at College Green. The Remainers down there are essentially eccentrics, but one picks up more than a whiff of something deeply unpleasant if one gets too close to some of the Leavers. And I don't mean just armpit.
    Just so.

I'm sure this guy's invite to Question Time is winging its way to him as I type.

Grimly unsurprising. A sizeable proportion of, but not all, Brexit contributors to online newspaper fora project just such an anger, even in a few pixels. The fury and confused, misdirected resentment burns off their syntax and sentence structures.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

Irellevant but correct.. polls are a snapshot at best and right jow they are all over the place..

Sure, that's why you have to... analyse them
  • Options
    dixiedeandixiedean Posts: 27,995
    A stotty is round and flattish. Discus shaped. A barm cake is NOT the same item at all.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. B, Yorkshire has surprisingly little intercourse with 19th century Montenegro.
  • Options
    NormNorm Posts: 1,251
    Roger said:

malcolmg said:

I do think the picture editors have done a more entertaining job than the headline writers.

Bercow is his own worst enemy (not while I'm alive, says Andrea) - a procedurally perfectly defensible move (arguably a week late) done before the government tabled any motion, thus saving it some embarrassment, snookered by his smug pompous hectoring style.

Came across well to me.
    Me too. Who'd have thought this ex Monday clubber would turn out to be a giant among pygmies
    Yes it's just a shame that Bercow's new found friends who ignore all his well-advertised failings while it suits them will be the first to put the knife in when his usefulness has passed.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,762
    edited March 2019
    This is quite amusing...

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/03/devin-nunes-sues-twitter-and-users-including-devinnunesmom-for-defamation.html

California Rep. Devin Nunes filed suit against Twitter Monday alleging the social media company was “shadow-banning conservatives” (surreptitiously minimizing the reach of their tweets) and enabling defamatory harassment on the platform....

“Defendant, Devin Nunes’ Mom, is a person who, with Twitter’s consent, hijacked Nunes’ name, falsely impersonated Nunes’ mother, and created and maintained an account on Twitter (@DevinNunesMom) for the sole purpose of attacking, defaming, disparaging and demeaning Nunes,” the suit states...
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Real economy vs paper economy - they haven't been the same for a while. Plenty of jobs, plenty of people in jobs reliant on food banks as the job doesnt pay the bills
    ' UK consumers are spending close to £69 on a night out on average, according to a report which monitors changes in the evening and late night business sector.

Spending in January to March was up 15.5% on the £59.49 sum of a year ago.
    '

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-47612466

Not to mention retail spending being 4.2% higher than a year ago:

https://www.ons.gov.uk/businessindustryandtrade/retailindustry/timeseries/j5eb/drsi

There are many, many people doing very, very well.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,927

IanB2 said:

The ‘22 could change their rules about a leadership election, although it might be considered not cricket to do it purely to challenge the incumbent.

More likely is that a large number of cabinet ministers resign and tell her to quit, or even a few Con MPs cross the floor (at the cost of their own careers) in order to vote against the government in a VoNC.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
    tlg86 said:

Bad news for Labour:

https://twitter.com/ONS/status/1107942405343449088

EDIT: It's a complicated picture:

https://tinyurl.com/y63zd73v

But....THE CUTS! THE CUTS! THE CUTS!

For December 2018, there were 1.67 million people employed in the National Health Service. This was:

- 5,000 more than for September 2018

- 32,000 more than for a year earlier

- the highest figure on record
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,291

Sean_F said:

' UK consumers are spending close to £69 on a night out on average, according to a report which monitors changes in the evening and late night business sector.

'

https://www.ons.gov.uk/businessindustryandtrade/retailindustry/timeseries/j5eb/drsi

A night out these days ain't cheap!
  • Options

Sean_F said:

'

Those retail figures don’t match with the number of business failures in retail (has Debenhams gone bust yet?). It can’t all be going to Amazon surely?
  • Options
    dixiedean said:

A stotty is round and flattish. Discus shaped. A barm cake is NOT the same item at all.

That's quite correct. They have different backgrounds and are baked differently too. A stottie is far denser.
  • Options
    ParistondaParistonda Posts: 1,819
    Bercow did everyone a favour, this zombie deal can't keep coming back, and until someone ended its misery, May's plan was to keep bringing it back and back. The very idea of an MV3 is ridiculous. Long extension followed by an election is what's needed now. A new parliament may not resolve things but it is at least the starting step. This parliament has basically ruled out all options other than straight revocation
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

Sean_F said:

'

Those retail figures don’t match with the number of business failures in retail (has Debenhams gone bust yet?). It can’t all be going to Amazon surely?
    Don't forget a bit like Woolies went bust we now have the range, b&m and a much bigger chain of Wilko's. Also a surprisingly high percentage of sales on Amazon are small retailers, which in the past would have to have a physical presence.
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited March 2019
    Rights and wrongs aside this makes the Kyle Wilson Compromise thingy much easier to sell, doesn't it? I mean, we've all known about this impasse for about 6 months, but all the things that looked like they would fall into place have fallen into place and it finally looks totally like an impasse.

The missing piece is some Tory MPs coming out in favour. I think somebody tweeted like one guy, but you need a dozen or so backing it to get some momentum behind it.
  • Options
    rural_voterrural_voter Posts: 2,038

kinabalu said:

Just so.

Grimly unsurprising. A sizeable proportion of, but not all, Brexit contributors to online newspaper fora project just such an anger, even in a few pixels. The fury and confused, misdirected resentment burns off their syntax and sentence structures.
    Such people used to rant at the telly and that was that. They were relatively harmless. The BBC made a satirical comedy out of it called Till Death Us Do Part.

Meanwhile we were governed by wiser heads. That's why parliamentary democracy Westminster-style doesn't feature a referendum every five minutes.

Watch A C Grayling's recent speech at the Oxford Union on that topic. It's very good.
  • Options

I commented last year when the letters went in they were premature and like most things with ERG they had not thought through the consquences of TM winning. TM is now in place until December unless the cabinet (people in white coats as they say) decide to ask her to go.

Your last sentence ignores the fact TM has survived a vonc in both herself and her goverment in the last few months.

If you feel that they were premature in acting then you are implying that many Conservative MPs must now be deeply regretting their decision to back her then, which rather contradicts the point I think you are making in your second paragraph.

Please elaborate on precisely what you mean by the "people in white coats" route because I am struggling to see how it would in practice work. The number of ministerial resignations is already well into its teens and she is still there. Even if she had lost a parliamentary vote of no confidence and the 14 day clock is ticking, I still can't see a route for Conservative MPs to force her out against her will. Parliament can force her to go, but her party can't.
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    Brexit and northerners arguing about which wrong names they use for rolls: what a time to be alive. Of course, the EU's protected food names will be up for grabs in a few days or years time.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_indications_and_traditional_specialities_in_the_European_Union
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,942

Sean_F said:

'

Or putting it all on credit cards.

• Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,310
    edited March 2019

The unruly passions unleashed by this divisive issue makes it vital that neither extreme 'wins'. Both a Hard Brexit and No Brexit would leave one side exultant and the other in despair. That is a recipe for continued animosity. When an intensely contested football match ends with one team winning with a dramatic and controversial last minute goal, the probability of discord and violence after the match is raised substantially. We don't want that. What we want is a closely fought contest ending in a draw, thus leaving both sets of supporters a little cheesed off and able to bicker about it afterwards, whether down the pub or on social media, in an amiable fashion. That draw, the one we need, is called Soft Brexit. It would unite the country in gentle disappointment, which is the absolute best outcome from where we are.
  • Options

I commented last year when the letters went in they were premature and like most things with ERG they had not thought through the consquences of TM winning. TM is now in place until December unless the cabinet (people in white coats as they say) decide to ask her to go.

If you feel that they were premature in acting then you are implying that many Conservative MPs must now be deeply regretting their decision to back her then, which rather contradicts the point I think you are making in your second paragraph.

Please elaborate on precisely what you mean by the "people in white coats" route because I am struggling to see how it would in practice work. The number of ministerial resignations is already well into its teens and she is still there. Even if she had lost a parliamentary vote of no confidence and the 14 day clock is ticking, I still can't see a route for Conservative MPs to force her out against her will. Parliament can force her to go, but her party can't.
    More than 30 conservative mps regret that TM is still in post but she won her vonc and that closes off any hope of her facing another vonc before december.

If the cabinet decide to tell TM to stand down she would have no choice but to resign
  • Options

They got Warwickshire right.

• Options
    timmotimmo Posts: 1,469
    The Conservative daily briefing is starting to look and sound more and more bitter..bearing in mind in the past this little news journal from CCHQ has been out of date by the time members get it.

Good morning everyone,

We believe the best approach is to leave the EU with a deal and we will put this back to Parliament when we believe there is a prospect for a majority for it in the House of Commons.

The Prime Minister warned ahead of the second meaningful vote that the consequences of a loss would be unpredictable – That it would trigger a crisis and that Parliament would seek to take control of this process.

We are now seeing that put into action.

We continue to believe the best approach is to leave the EU in a smooth and orderly way with the deal we have negotiated. As such, we will look to put this back to Parliament, but only when we believe there is a majority for it in the House of Commons. And as the Brexit Secretary said this morning, if the will of the House is for a further vote, we’re sure the Speaker would look at that very closely.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,965

In particular a chip batch in Coventry... so it's a batch in Kenilworth, Leamington and Warwick too ?
  • Options

Irellevant but correct.. polls are a snapshot at best and right jow they are all over the place..

Sure, that's why you have to... analyse them
    Well clearly the Tories will suffer whilst Brexit isn't being delivered. And as you allude to in another post, no majority in the House Of Commons for any new referendum on May's deal or anything else. It's no good campaigners saying "When parliament is gridlocked and can't make up its mind then it'll have to be put back to 'the people'", parliament has to make an active decision to take that referendum - the number of Noes against Wollaston was instructive on that regard.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,889

kinabalu said:

Just so.

Such people used to rant at the telly and that was that. They were relatively harmless. The BBC made a satirical comedy out of it called Till Death Us Do Part.

Meanwhile we were governed by wiser heads.
    I think I've spotted the flaw in your argument.

A lot of the people who govern us are unhinged.
  • Options
    Once all this is done and dusted in the way off distant future, I wonder if we will have the introspection as a country to decide that we could be running our affairs in much better ways. I have been banging on about a constitutional convention for years, but it does seem to me that we are in desperate need of one.
  • Options
    EndillionEndillion Posts: 4,976
    edited March 2019
    Haven't seen anyone post this here yet, but the LDs seem to have rejected Cable's plans to make the upcoming Lib Dem leadership election harder to call (ie it will be restricted to sitting MPs):
    https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk/political-parties/liberal-democrats/vince-cable/news/102576/lib-dems-reject-vince-cables

All the likely MP contenders are therefore currently undervalued by, er, not enough to matter.

There is, however, an 11-13% return available on Betfair that Cable stands down* between April and June, as scheduled.

EDIT: * ceases to be leader - I'm unclear when that's scheduled for and am hence steering clear.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

In particular a chip batch in Coventry... so it's a batch in Kenilworth, Leamington and Warwick too ?

Yep. I'd never heard of the word before I came to live up here. In London they were always rolls.

• Options

Sean_F said:

I think both a are true. Millions are struggling, and millions are doing well.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    kinabalu said:

The unruly passions unleashed by this divisive issue makes it vital that neither extreme 'wins'. Both a Hard Brexit and No Brexit would leave one side exultant and the other in despair. That is a recipe for continued animosity. When an intensely contested football match ends with one team winning with a dramatic and controversial last minute goal, the probability of discord and violence after the match is raised substantially. We don't want that. What we want is a closely fought contest ending in a draw, thus leaving both sets of supporters a little cheesed off and able to bicker about it afterwards, whether down the pub or on social media, in an amiable fashion. That draw, the one we need, is called Soft Brexit. It would unite the country in gentle disappointment, which is the absolute best outcome from where we are.
    To a certain extent I agree with that in principle, but the practice of that is very difficult. For instance, a keystone of Soft Brexit is immigration and free movement - otherwise it's just not possible. On the other hand, Theresa May has set herself against that in principle, knowing that surveys show that immigration was the single biggest key factor behind the Brexit vote. As a result, I find it hard to see anything other than some form of Hard Brexit, as defined by immigration being the leading priority, or Remain.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137

And the Nottingham "cob".
  • Options

Brexit and northerners arguing about which wrong names they use for rolls: what a time to be alive. Of course, the EU's protected food names will be up for grabs in a few days or years time.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_indications_and_traditional_specialities_in_the_European_Union

I wouldn't count on it.

https://www.iam-media.com/copyright/there-one-brexit-ip-issue-could-explode-politically-and-it-has-nothing-do-patents

• Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

Once all this is done and dusted in the way off distant future, I wonder if we will have the introspection as a country to decide that we could be running our affairs in much better ways. I have been banging on about a constitutional convention for years, but it does seem to me that we are in desperate need of one.

We are but we won’t.

We have desperately needed a proper European strategy for years, something I’ve been banging on about for ages. But we won’t get that either.
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006
    £125 to £135,000 a year... head teach salaries have certainly bumped up.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,872
    Pulpstar said:

The weirdest Midland sandwich I've ever encountered is the "splash", a favourite throughout Burton-on-Trent and seemingly nowhere else.

It's a hotdog (or a burger) with tinned tomatoes all over it.

It looks even less appetising than it sounds. I couldn't tell you how it tastes.
  • Options
    CarlottaVanceCarlottaVance Posts: 59,785
  • Options
    FPT, that joke about Grayling is very good.
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786

Pulpstar said:

The weirdest Midland sandwich I've ever encountered is the "splash", a favourite throughout Burton-on-Trent and seemingly nowhere else.

It's a hotdog (or a burger) with tinned tomatoes all over it.

It looks even less appetising than it sounds. I couldn't tell you how it tastes.
    Like a chilli dog without the heat or flavour
  • Options
    notme2notme2 Posts: 1,006

Sean_F said:

Unskilled jobs are really easy to find at the moment. An HR manager I know is currently offering jobs if they fulfil the criteria 'they look like they might actually turn up'.

It is the mother of all boom/bust cycles. Low pound plus stockpiling for Brexit = lots of jobs. I wouldn't bet on it continuing for long.
    The jobs miracle predates Brexit by some years. It’s just keeps going strength to strength.
  • Options
    Philip_ThompsonPhilip_Thompson Posts: 65,826
    Cleaning costs up.
    Head teachers salary up.
    'Estate' (whatever that is) up.

Only thing down is . . . Pupil numbers.
  • Options
    Re the thread header. There's a disconnect between what shouldn't happen and what will happen. Bercow will be blamed
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    https://twitter.com/jennyhillBBC/status/1107960054995668992

Can anyone shed any light on what exactly this 'fighting for an orderly Brexit' actually comprises?
  • Options

Can anyone shed any light on what exactly this 'fighting for an orderly Brexit' actually comprises?

It means mama Merkel expects us to blink (revoke)
  • Options

kinabalu said:

To a certain extent I agree with that in principle, but the practice of that is very difficult. For instance, a keystone of Soft Brexit is immigration and free movement - otherwise it's just not possible. On the other hand, Theresa May has set herself against that in principle, knowing that surveys show that immigration was the single biggest key factor behind the Brexit vote. As a result, I find it hard to see anything other than some form of Hard Brexit, as defined by immigration being the leading priority, or Remain.
    I think the difficulty is that the ‘soft’ ideas proposed are incredibly to define in practice. Certain issues, such as customs union, have to be either black or white, there’s no grey in the middle to fudge.

The issues stem from the way out EU membership has been treated by politicians of all colours over the decades, with ever more powers being transferred to Brussels and no way to vote against it.

Agree with @SouthamObserver that a comprehensive constitutional convention is long overdue.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

I think she wants May to ask for something other than asking for an extension for an extension's sake.

I'm not sure May can get past the tautological "Extension means extension" or words to that effect.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Interesting how the rightwing press has been unable to refute some of the far more damaging austerity stories recently aired on the BBC, such as widespread reports of schools increasingly helping pupils with providing the basics of food and clothing - because they're true.
  • Options
    Com Res' favourability ratings are:-

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

and MP's in general ……. -54%!
  • Options

More than 30 conservative mps regret that TM is still in post but she won her vonc and that closes off any hope of her facing another vonc before december.

If the cabinet decide to tell TM to stand down she would have no choice but to resign
    If a large number of members of the cabinet decide to tell TM to stand down she will challenge them to resign and replace those who do. There are plenty of non-entities willing to step up. Every party has a pool of Stephen Barclays and Barry Gardiners.
  • Options

Not renegotiating the Withdrawal Agreement, that’s for sure. Hoping we blink first?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

I think it is that female politicians find fighting x on your behalf works well. It sometimes needs a bit of work on framing the narrative.

• Options

Interesting how the rightwing press has been unable to refute some of the far more damaging austerity stories recently aired on the BBC, such as widespread reports of schools increasingly helping pupils with providing the basics of food and clothing - because they're true.

The cash seems to be going on head's pay rises.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

Toxic blend if we have to vote......
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Sean_F said:

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

I'm surprised that it is only -54%.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

You can't be surprised by the last when you have James Gray complaining that Bercow denied him the opportunity to vote for the WA - after he had twice voted against it.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

You can't be surprised by the last when you have James Gray complaining that Bercow denied him the opportunity to vote for the WA - after he had twice voted against it.
    With a bit of luck the nutjobs will vote for the deal next time just to spite Bercow.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,236
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

Opposing a disorderly Brexit (ie no deal)?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

You just know Gray's going to be complaining about the wrong type of No Deal that the Quislings have delivered.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Opposing a disorderly Brexit (ie no deal)?
    Yes, I guess so, in the sense that Jeremy Corbyn 'opposes' anti-semitism without actually doing anything about it.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Sean_F said:

And Cleverly claiming "if people had known what they were voting for they might have voted differently"

That's an interesting precedent...
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Pulpstar said:

Haha, I wish. I'm married to a headteacher. It sure as heck isn't. The academy trust/governors have some discretion and there are of course individual rises up the pay scale, just as in any job. But there isn't a universal pay rise for headteachers out there.

Mrs Capitano hasn't had to clean the toilets yet, though she was sweeping the playground last week. How she fills the £15k hole in next year's budget, however, remains to be seen.

The real killer is this: https://www.pensionsage.com/pa/Guest-Comment-Teachers-pensions-view-from-a-school-governor.php

"the survival of some state schools, colleges, universities and independent schools is threatened by the £1.1bn rise in the employers’ contribution to the Teachers’ Pension Scheme from September 2019"
  • Options
    glw said:

Sean_F said:

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

I'm surprised that as many as 5% have a favourable opinion of MP's (59% have an unfavourable one).
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

But everybody loves the messiah...according to my twitter feed...
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

Haha, I wish. I'm married to a headteacher. It sure as heck isn't. The academy trust/governors have some discretion and there are of course individual rises up the pay scale, just as in any job. But there isn't a universal pay rise for headteachers out there.

Mrs Capitano hasn't had to clean the toilets yet, though she was sweeping the playground last week. How she fills the £15k hole in next year's budget, however, remains to be seen.

The real killer is this: https://www.pensionsage.com/pa/Guest-Comment-Teachers-pensions-view-from-a-school-governor.php

"the survival of some state schools, colleges, universities and independent schools is threatened by the £1.1bn rise in the employers’ contribution to the Teachers’ Pension Scheme from September 2019"
    That is a pay rise.
  • Options
    PhilPhil Posts: 1,943
    mwadams said:

I wonder to what extent Bercow's ruling is a response to the transparent attempt to make the deal look "different" last time by simply reformatting it? If anything showed contempt for parliament that was it.

Definitely another entry in the 'The executive is just playing silly buggers and expecting us not to notice, which all by itself is an insult to Parliament' list.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

I'm definitely not. A Scottish labour meltdown is possible for any of the parties in their heartlands
  • Options
    Phil said:

mwadams said:

Definitely another entry in the 'The executive is just playing silly buggers and expecting us not to notice, which all by itself is an insult to Parliament' list.
    Judging by that Com Res poll, contempt for Parliament is not confined to the Executive.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    Sean_F said:

glw said:

Sean_F said:

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

I'm surprised that as many as 5% have a favourable opinion of MP's (59% have an unfavourable one).
    I don't see how anybody could favourably view the actions of MPs over the last few months. The Brexit spotlight has revealed Parliament and its members to be barely functional, and wildly at odds with the public mood.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

Back in 2016 or 2017 I tweeted a poll from ComRes, based on the embargo email I was sent from an employee ComRes, whom I'm credited in my tweet.

Their name was Tom Mludzinski.

A Corbynite decided that was an Israeli surname, therefore we could ignore ComRes as they were run by the Jews.
  • Options
    glw said:

Sean_F said:

glw said:

Sean_F said:

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

I don't see how anybody could favourably view the actions of MPs over the last few months. The Brexit spotlight has revealed Parliament and its members to be barely functional, and wildly at odds with the public mood.
    It's the same proportion of the population that believes in vampires.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

Back in 2016 or 2017 I tweeted a poll from ComRes, based on the embargo email I was sent from an employee ComRes, whom I'm credited in my tweet.

A Corbynite decided that was an Israeli surname, therefore we could ignore ComRes as they were run by the Jews.
    But there is no anti-semitism problem.

And anyone saying there is gets their instructions and payment from the Israeli lobby
  • Options

Sean_F said:

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

Isn't every polling company run by the Jews?
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

Other parts of that ComRes polling are also interesting.

43% disagree that "leaving without a deal is the best possible outcome" against 30% agreeing, which is quite a small margin. Although it's viewed as sub-optimal it's nonetheless seen as something that could work out for the UK. Specifically, "If the UK left the EU without a deal on March 29 it would briefly cause some uncertainty but then ultimately work out ok". Agree 46%, Disagree 28%.

Also, note the support for "It would have caused fewer problems had the UK left the EU without a deal as quickly as possible in 2016, rather than spending the past two and a half years trying to negotiate a deal". Agree 45%, Disagree 31%. They don't specifically ask about the merits of kicking the can down the road for another 2 or so years, but in the light of that it's clearly going to be a very unpopular choice.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/03/19/no-deal-better-brexit-delay-say-public-poll-finds-just-one-10/
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

Isn't every polling company run by the Jews?
    Definitely not Deltapoll, I saw one of their co-founders eat a bacon sarnie.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

Surely that shouldn't come as a shock to them, as they already believe the Jews run the entire world from the shadows.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Pulpstar said:

That is a pay rise.
    There are people - well, one person in particular - on PB much better qualified than me to state whether or not that's the case, so I'll avoid commenting on that.

But it is an extra cost that has been loaded onto schools, not at their request, by the Government without any funding to ameliorate it.
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

And survival is the word.

I know that some illustrious PBTories like to bleat on about how there aren't any real cuts. Perhaps then the real cuts having devastating impacts to schools, hospitals police etc are all made up...
  • Options

Sean_F said:

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

And anyone saying there is gets their instructions and payment from the Israeli lobby
    There were some very funny responses to the Momentum video condemning anti-Semitism.

The best were those debating whether Chuka Umunna was in the pay of Israel, vs those who thought he was such a scumbag that the Israelis didn't need to pay him - he worked for free/
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

There were some very funny responses to the Momentum video condemning anti-Semitism.

The best were those debating whether Chuka Umunna was in the pay of Israel, vs those who thought he was such a scumbag that the Israelis didn't need to pay him - he worked for free/
    Years ago when I was in Egypt it was regularly noted that Monica Lewinsky was Jewish and that's why the peace accords failed.

Monica Lewinsky was really a Mossad agent.

Talk about taking one for the team.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,019

Brexit and whatever mad fucking mess May will come up with next now may only be understood by detailed recourse to the works of Alfred Jarry. In particular the study of 'pataphysics which maybe defined as a branch of philosophy or science that examines imaginary phenomena to which properties are symbolically attributed by their virtuality and that exist in a world beyond metaphysics. Bref, it is the science of imaginary solutions
  • Options

Pulpstar said:

That is a pay rise.
    There are people - well, one person in particular - on PB much better qualified than me to state whether or not that's the case, so I'll avoid commenting on that.

But it is an extra cost that has been loaded onto schools, not at their request, by the Government without any funding to ameliorate it.
    Yes, I wasn't disagreeing with that.
This discussion has been closed.