Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » You can’t blame Bercow for enforcing what is a sensible preced

Comments

• Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,871

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

Com Res' favourability ratings are:-

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

and MP's in general ……. -54%!

But everybody loves the messiah...according to my twitter feed...
    Back in 2016 or 2017 I tweeted a poll from ComRes, based on the embargo email I was sent from an employee ComRes, whom I'm credited in my tweet.

Their name was Tom Mludzinski.

A Corbynite decided that was an Israeli surname, therefore we could ignore ComRes as they were run by the Jews.
    But there is no anti-semitism problem.

And anyone saying there is gets their instructions and payment from the Israeli lobby
    There were some very funny responses to the Momentum video condemning anti-Semitism.

The best were those debating whether Chuka Umunna was in the pay of Israel, vs those who thought he was such a scumbag that the Israelis didn't need to pay him - he worked for free/
    Years ago when I was in Egypt it was regularly noted that Monica Lewinsky was Jewish and that's why the peace accords failed.

Monica Lewinsky was really a Mossad agent.

Talk about taking one for the team.
    I'm sure she would not be the first Mossad agent to have done so.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,030

Pulpstar said:

Interesting how the rightwing press has been unable to refute some of the far more damaging austerity stories recently aired on the BBC, such as widespread reports of schools increasingly helping pupils with providing the basics of food and clothing - because they're true.

The cash seems to be going on head's pay rises.
    Haha, I wish. I'm married to a headteacher. It sure as heck isn't. The academy trust/governors have some discretion and there are of course individual rises up the pay scale, just as in any job. But there isn't a universal pay rise for headteachers out there.

Mrs Capitano hasn't had to clean the toilets yet, though she was sweeping the playground last week. How she fills the £15k hole in next year's budget, however, remains to be seen.

The real killer is this: https://www.pensionsage.com/pa/Guest-Comment-Teachers-pensions-view-from-a-school-governor.php

"the survival of some state schools, colleges, universities and independent schools is threatened by the £1.1bn rise in the employers’ contribution to the Teachers’ Pension Scheme from September 2019"
    And survival is the word.

I know that some illustrious PBTories like to bleat on about how there aren't any real cuts. Perhaps then the real cuts having devastating impacts to schools, hospitals police etc are all made up...
    My teacher grandchildren talk about real cuts. And, in the context of 'more money for schools' money going on managers and advisors rather than anywhere near the sharp end.
  • Options
    OnlyLivingBoyOnlyLivingBoy Posts: 15,134

Interesting how the rightwing press has been unable to refute some of the far more damaging austerity stories recently aired on the BBC, such as widespread reports of schools increasingly helping pupils with providing the basics of food and clothing - because they're true.

If papers like the Mail and the Sun were really representing the interests of their readership, as they like to claim, they would be campaigning every day to raise the quality of state schools and boost their funding. The fact that they're not tells you what their real agenda is. (Out of interest, do any senior newspaper executives send their kids to state schools? I believe that Paul 'vagina monologues' Dacre favoured Eton for his boys).
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Aye aye faisal reports bojo in the cabinet office
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,030

If papers like the Mail and the Sun were really representing the interests of their readership, as they like to claim, they would be campaigning every day to raise the quality of state schools and boost their funding. The fact that they're not tells you what their real agenda is. (Out of interest, do any senior newspaper executives send their kids to state schools? I believe that Paul 'vagina monologues' Dacre favoured Eton for his boys).
    In the dentists this morning the only paper available was the Mail. They were banging on about Bercow, but there was also something about a campaign about abusive landlords, where they'd 'won' something.
    Didn't have long to wait and there was someone to talk to, so was able to leave the rag alone.
  • Options
    TheuniondivvieTheuniondivvie Posts: 40,232

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

Back in 2016 or 2017 I tweeted a poll from ComRes, based on the embargo email I was sent from an employee ComRes, whom I'm credited in my tweet.

A Corbynite decided that was an Israeli surname, therefore we could ignore ComRes as they were run by the Jews.

And anyone saying there is gets their instructions and payment from the Israeli lobby
    There were some very funny responses to the Momentum video condemning anti-Semitism.

The best were those debating whether Chuka Umunna was in the pay of Israel, vs those who thought he was such a scumbag that the Israelis didn't need to pay him - he worked for free/
    Years ago when I was in Egypt it was regularly noted that Monica Lewinsky was Jewish and that's why the peace accords failed.

More giving one for the team?
    She was on the Jon Oliver show last night, quite impressive I thought.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Pulpstar said:

Haha, I wish. I'm married to a headteacher. It sure as heck isn't. The academy trust/governors have some discretion and there are of course individual rises up the pay scale, just as in any job. But there isn't a universal pay rise for headteachers out there.

Mrs Capitano hasn't had to clean the toilets yet, though she was sweeping the playground last week. How she fills the £15k hole in next year's budget, however, remains to be seen.

The real killer is this: https://www.pensionsage.com/pa/Guest-Comment-Teachers-pensions-view-from-a-school-governor.php

"the survival of some state schools, colleges, universities and independent schools is threatened by the £1.1bn rise in the employers’ contribution to the Teachers’ Pension Scheme from September 2019"

I know that some illustrious PBTories like to bleat on about how there aren't any real cuts. Perhaps then the real cuts having devastating impacts to schools, hospitals police etc are all made up...
    My teacher grandchildren talk about real cuts. And, in the context of 'more money for schools' money going on managers and advisors rather than anywhere near the sharp end.
    Yes. There is a lot of incompetence at best, spivvery at worst, in multi-academy trusts. It's one of those stories that's flown under the radar while everyone's attention has been on Brexit. There are some good ones: Mrs Capitano's school is a member of a genuinely marvellous MAT, and there's another well-respected one nearby. But I could name two MATs within a ten-mile radius of here where the staff turnover rate alone should be enough to give anyone pause before sending their kid to a member school.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    Christchurch shootings: Ardern vows never to say gunman's name

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-47620630

I am not sure this works.

All those nutters on 4chan and 8chan will just take it as evidence that the establishment are (insert conspiracy theory). Banning all Nazi references in Germany hasn't stopped a far right Neo Nazi movement. Should be erase Hitler, Pol Pot, etc from history?
  • Options

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

She was.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

The premise for that episode was shit though, given Oliver's whole show is erhhh "shaming" people.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,136

Sean_F said:

Sean_F said:

May -17%,
    Labour -22%,
    Conservative - 25%,
    Corbyn - 35%,

Saw her at a party, many years ago. She had the most amazing raven blue-black hair.
  • Options
    Morris_DancerMorris_Dancer Posts: 60,997
    Mr. Urquhart, there is a sort-of historical precedent, although the time and situation was notably different.

The Temple of Artemis was one of the Wonders of the Ancient World, commissioned by Croesus. It was deliberately burnt down by a cretin who wanted his name to live forever for his deed. Historians often omit his name by choice.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,194
    http://tinyurl.com/y2neffyb

The railway station near Tottenham Hotspur’s new stadium is to be renamed after the club lobbied the London mayor, Sadiq Khan, and his transport office, who had insisted that the club should pay more than £14.7m for the privilege.

A memo of understanding between the club and TfL, controlled by Khan, is now being drafted but Spurs won’t have to meet the multimillion pound asking price which it has vigorously contested.

I don't see any problem in selling off tube/railway station names...if the beneficiaries cough up the money.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    tlg86 said:

The railway station near Tottenham Hotspur’s new stadium is to be renamed after the club lobbied the London mayor, Sadiq Khan, and his transport office, who had insisted that the club should pay more than £14.7m for the privilege.

A memo of understanding between the club and TfL, controlled by Khan, is now being drafted but Spurs won’t have to meet the multimillion pound asking price which it has vigorously contested.

I don't see any problem in selling off tube/railway station names...if the beneficiaries cough up the money.

Also, it makes sense...it isn't like they want to call it the Bet365 stop.
  • Options
    Boris in for a chat with Tezza
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Also, it makes sense...it isn't like they want to call it the Bet365 stop.
    Actually, in this case I find it a little odd given White Hart Lane is was the name of the ground.
  • Options
    FregglesFreggles Posts: 3,486
    Give over. Do those chip butties on the image look 24cm wide?

Stotties are a specific bread product not an alternative name for bread buns/baps
  • Options

What could they possibly be talking about?
  • Options

What could they possibly be talking about?
    Grammar schools policy?
  • Options
    Bercow used to be a real charmer back in the day...

https://twitter.com/asabenn/status/1107952595497373696
  • Options
    People don't become fully "adult" until they're in their 30s, according to brain scientists.

https://www.bbc.com/news/newsbeat-47622059

Right, well that's settled, no voting rights until 30 then.
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited March 2019

The Telegraph, ofcourse, using the moment to dredge up any muck they can find about him. The ERG probably contains the combined personal history of enough sexism for a 14-month guardian investigation and free colour pullout section.
  • Options

I bet the bercows and cooper-balls are swingers ;)
  • Options
    Mr. Urquhart, that's what the Athenians did.

When they weren't voting to execute their war leaders after winning a battle...
  • Options

The Telegraph, ofcourse, using the moment to dredge up any muck they can find about him.
    It isn't the first time people have pointed out his previous.
  • Options
    Imperfect he may be, but undetermined or a shrinking violet he isn't.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    Remember that old Yes Minister sketch about how we joined the EU so we could screw it up from the inside, having failed to wreck it from the outside? Well, it looks like we've finally figured out how to do it properly:

https://twitter.com/BBCkatyaadler/status/1107967895697571841

• Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    edited March 2019
    Ignore all the concocted drama surrounding an EU extension.

The EU will say yes . The messaging at the moment maybe hardline but the EU will not want to get blamed for no deal and certainly doesn’t want the fallout in the run up to the EU elections .
  • Options
    SouthamObserverSouthamObserver Posts: 38,941

Pulpstar said:

When my wife was teaching during the Coalition years we always made an August Ikea run to buy materials for her classroom that were not budgeted. It was pretty basic stuff and must have cost £200 to £250 each time. She was far from alone. The goodwill and professionalism of teachers keeps a lot of schools going.

• Options
    The Christchurch Shootings Should Implicate All White Australians.

Shame and apology is not enough in confronting our country’s virulent racism.

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/03/christchurch-shootings-white-australian-guilt-new-zealand.html
  • Options
    Outrageous...

Ashes could herald new era for Tests with names and numbers on shirts

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/mar/18/ashes-new-era-tests-names-numbers-shirts-cricket-england-australia
  • Options
    Mr. Eagles, guilty by associated demography but not ideology is a rather weird way to view such things.

"Recant your whiteness, sinner!"
  • Options

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2019/03/christchurch-shootings-white-australian-guilt-new-zealand.html

I think JPW's video on this hit the mark. White FFS?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    nico67 said:

The EU will say yes . The messaging at the moment maybe hardline but the EU will not want to get blamed for no deal and certainly doesn’t want the fallout in the run up to the EU elections .

I think you're *probably* right but you can't be too certain about this stuff. All politics is local, and there are 27 different leaders with a veto, each with their own weird local politics.
  • Options

Mr. Eagles, guilty by associated demography but not ideology is a rather weird way to view such things.

We aren't far from being told that white guilt is racist
  • Options

Currently Owen Jones is blaming the massacre on people he disagrees with on Twatter.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,457
    Sean_F said:

Currently Owen Jones is blaming the massacre on people he disagrees with on Twatter.
    I might quite Twatter.

It’s pretty much designed to bring out the worst in people.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Sean_F said:

The naughty boys in form 4 that stole his lunch money and called him a poo poo?
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    Anyhoo I hear Paul Nuttal has a quadruple first from Oxford.
  • Options
    Thanks, so as usual Dan Hannan is talking shite.
  • Options

Sean_F said:

The naughty boys in form 4 that stole his lunch money and called him a poo poo?
    And, don't forget the US students who blamed the massacre on Chelsea Clinton, by some strange leap of logic.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Anyhoo I hear Paul Nuttal has a quadruple first from Oxford.

Well he went to Edge Hill University, they probably hand out quadruple firsts there if you can manage to get through the re-enrolment forms at the start of every year....apparently he had some insightful views during his undergraduate studies....

In 1999 David Renton, a history lecturer at Edge Hill college in Lancashire, asked his undergraduates to write an essay about the causes of the Holocaust.

Renton recalls how one of his students – a bright and outspoken man who, at 23, was older than others in the class, handed in an essay in which he suggested there was an argument to be made that Jewish people had brought it upon themselves.

According to Renton, to justify this argument, the student cited the notorious Holocaust denier David Irving. This was a time when Irving was regularly in the news as he prepared to embark upon the doomed libel action now being depicted in Denial, a film written by David Hare and starring Rachel Weisz.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/feb/25/paul-nuttalls-troubled-relationship-with-the-truth-finally-catches-up-with-him
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, I keep a couple of lists, and the History one tends to be pretty civilised and interesting.
    https://twitter.com/MorrisF1/lists/history

But you're right that a lot of Twitter is pretty grumpy.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985

Remember that old Yes Minister sketch about how we joined the EU so we could screw it up from the inside, having failed to wreck it from the outside? Well, it looks like we've finally figured out how to do it properly:

Seems like a non-issue as there'd just be a by-election to the parliament.
  • Options

I'm calling for a total and complete shutdown of citizens of the Anglosphere travelling anywhere until our country's representatives can figure out what the hell is going on.
  • Options
    Casino_RoyaleCasino_Royale Posts: 55,457

Identity politics will destroy us all.
  • Options
    TrèsDifficileTrèsDifficile Posts: 1,729
    Freggles said:

Stotties are a specific bread product not an alternative name for bread buns/baps
    "..Ways to annoy a Geordie..

11. Refering to rolls as Baps, not ‘Stotties’ Fancy a sandwich in a nice white roll? In Newcastle, these are Stotties and there is no telling Geordies otherwise. For added precaution, pretend you know what Pease Pudding is and ask for it in a Stottie with boiled ham. You won’t regret it."

Read more at: https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/19-guaranteed-ways-to-annoy-a-geordie-allegedly-1-7536708

Is a North Yorkshire stottie something else?
  • Options
    DecrepitJohnLDecrepitJohnL Posts: 13,300
    edited March 2019

Brexit and northerners arguing about which wrong names they use for rolls: what a time to be alive. Of course, the EU's protected food names will be up for grabs in a few days or years time.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographical_indications_and_traditional_specialities_in_the_European_Union

I wouldn't count on it.

https://www.iam-media.com/copyright/there-one-brexit-ip-issue-could-explode-politically-and-it-has-nothing-do-patents

I expect that is right. It also makes the point in passing that making one FTA with a big player makes it harder to sign FTAs with others. And even where this is done, it will then complicate imports and exports to both.

The whole Brexit debate round FTAs seems to have been conducted by people with even less idea than me what an FTA actually is. Politicians often speak as if they are inter-government agreements to buy each other's products. President Trump does not help, of course.
  • Options
    The head of Japan's Olympic Committee (JOC) is stepping down over corruption allegations relating to the awarding of the 2020 Games to Tokyo.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/47623756
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610
    tlg86 said:

I think it's because TfL changed Gillespie Road when the Woolwich Wonderers sullied North London with their unwanted presence. I don't see that TfL have much choice because it would be a pretty short court case.
  • Options
    Mr. Royale, it's madness.

Anyway, I must be off.
  • Options
    NickPalmerNickPalmer Posts: 21,352

People don't become fully "adult" until they're in their 30s, according to brain scientists.

Are you sure they do then?
  • Options
    anothernickanothernick Posts: 3,578

nico67 said:

I think you're *probably* right but you can't be too certain about this stuff. All politics is local, and there are 27 different leaders with a veto, each with their own weird local politics.
    I wonder if anyone can think of another occasion when the British PM has been reduced the role of a supplicant begging the likes of Latvia and Luxembourg to save her from her own folly.
  • Options
    "A "double first" at Oxford usually informally refers to first-class honours in both components of an undergraduate degree, i.e. Moderations/Prelims and the Final Honour School, or in both the bachelor's and master's components of an integrated master's degree."
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_undergraduate_degree_classification

Google is your friend.
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Well let's be on the safe side and say 40+ when it comes to right to vote.
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    I think there'd be less of an issue if he followed precedent consistently rather than deciding which ones to follow, seemingly to the advantage of remain.
  • Options

In the Ancient World, some States didn't let you vote or stand for office until you reached 30.
  • Options
    DougSealDougSeal Posts: 11,183
    I suppose he could have got a first in Mods and Finals.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

tlg86 said:

I think it's because TfL changed Gillespie Road when the Woolwich Wonderers sullied North London with their unwanted presence. I don't see that TfL have much choice because it would be a pretty short court case.
    TfL didn't exist in 1932.
  • Options
    UKIP stealing Abolish the Welsh Assembly's clothes. You'd think that they might have other things to worry about..

https://twitter.com/ChrisMcCusker67/status/1107983522399219712
  • Options

Let's make voting start at 50, to be safe.
  • Options
    DougSeal said:

I suppose he could have got a first in Mods and Finals.
    Mods are not graded, it's just pass/fail (AFAIK).
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,848
    Wonder what Tezza and Bozza are discussing?
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151

The head of Japan's Olympic Committee (JOC) is stepping down over corruption allegations relating to the awarding of the 2020 Games to Tokyo.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/47623756

I remember when that was awarded, I lost money backing Istanbul because I thought the Japanese were losing their bribery mojo. Live and learn.
  • Options

UKIP stealing Abolish the Welsh Assembly's clothes. You'd think that they might have other things to worry about..

A second referendum? Obviously a negation of democracy.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,660

Freggles said:

11. Refering to rolls as Baps, not ‘Stotties’ Fancy a sandwich in a nice white roll? In Newcastle, these are Stotties and there is no telling Geordies otherwise. For added precaution, pretend you know what Pease Pudding is and ask for it in a Stottie with boiled ham. You won’t regret it."

Read more at: https://www.shieldsgazette.com/news/19-guaranteed-ways-to-annoy-a-geordie-allegedly-1-7536708

Fake news. This is a stottie:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stottie_cake
  • Options

Surely, an extension will come with a requirement we hold the elections?
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    Interesting that James Goddard, the one who hassled and chased Soubry to Parliament, has been charged with racially aggravated harassment.

How does that work?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47622282
  • Options

A second referendum? Obviously a negation of democracy.
    Has the result of the first one yet to be implemented?
  • Options
    rottenboroughrottenborough Posts: 58,278
    GIN1138 said:

Wonder what Tezza and Bozza are discussing?

She's standing down and anointing him as successor.
  • Options

Freggles said:

Fake news. This is a stottie:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stottie_cake
    Yes. "Eaten split and filled", like a hungry north-easterner's massive roll.
  • Options
    malcolmgmalcolmg Posts: 42,062

He's enjoying every minute.....

https://twitter.com/BBCPolitics/status/1107935118394642432

Though quite what he doing out & about at that time of the morning.....

Probably hoping for something a bit more like this, through crowds of his cheering remain fans
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMhDQFLwrAA
    Government send out the state propaganda goons to harass him , what next I ask.
  • Options
    Shocking numbers here.

YouTube and Facebook have defended themselves against accusations that they failed to act quickly enough in the wake of the Christchurch terror attack, arguing that their moderation is as good as possible given the number of videos uploaded.

Facebook said on Tuesday that the original stream of the attack was viewed live fewer than 200 times and non-live by 4,000 people before it was removed from the site.

Copies of it spread rapidly and by Saturday evening the company had removed 1.5m uploads. By Tuesday morning more than 800 distinct edits of the footage had been posted to the site.

YouTube said it had tried to keep on top of the unprecedented number of videos uploaded, eventually going so far as to eject human reviewers from the loop in order to let automated systems take down more videos instantly.

A spokesman told the Guardian: “The volume of related videos uploaded to YouTube in the 24 hours after the attack was unprecedented both in scale and speed – at times as fast as a new upload every second.

“In response we took a number of steps, including automatically rejecting any footage of the violence, temporarily suspending the ability to sort or filter searches by upload date, and making sure searches on this event pulled up results from authoritative news sources.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/19/facebook-and-youtube-defend-response-to-christchurch-videos?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other
  • Options
    edited March 2019

It'll come with all sorts of conditions attached.

That's what people have got to watch out for, not that the EU won't grant an extension (they will) but what demands they make for doing so and whether those demands prove unacceptable to HMG and Parliament in the end...
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679

The Telegraph, ofcourse, using the moment to dredge up any muck they can find about him. The ERG probably contains the combined personal history of enough sexism for a 14-month guardian investigation and free colour pullout section.
    I think that is pullout of colour section you mean.
  • Options

Interesting that James Goddard, the one who hassled and chased Soubry to Parliament, has been charged with racially aggravated harassment.

How does that work?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47622282

Because it wasn't just Anna Soubry he's been accused of harassing and abusing.

IIRC there was also a black gentleman who he kept on abusing and calling 'Lammy.'
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    I wish Tory MPs would stop peddling their manifesto. It didn’t get a majority , if people wanted their version of Brexit they would have voted for it.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Looks like a 3rd vote is happening then
  • Options
    edited March 2019

Not if it's a short extension, presumably. The EU lawyers do seem to think there's a genuine difficulty here. The real problem could be if we agree a short extension and then we want to extend it again. So I think it might go back to what Theresa May said last week: a short extension if parliament signs off the deal, else a longer extension and the UK participating in the EU elections. Expect big fireworks if it's the latter.
  • Options

Shocking numbers here.

YouTube and Facebook have defended themselves against accusations that they failed to act quickly enough in the wake of the Christchurch terror attack, arguing that their moderation is as good as possible given the number of videos uploaded.

Facebook said on Tuesday that the original stream of the attack was viewed live fewer than 200 times and non-live by 4,000 people before it was removed from the site.

Copies of it spread rapidly and by Saturday evening the company had removed 1.5m uploads. By Tuesday morning more than 800 distinct edits of the footage had been posted to the site.

YouTube said it had tried to keep on top of the unprecedented number of videos uploaded, eventually going so far as to eject human reviewers from the loop in order to let automated systems take down more videos instantly.

A spokesman told the Guardian: “The volume of related videos uploaded to YouTube in the 24 hours after the attack was unprecedented both in scale and speed – at times as fast as a new upload every second.

“In response we took a number of steps, including automatically rejecting any footage of the violence, temporarily suspending the ability to sort or filter searches by upload date, and making sure searches on this event pulled up results from authoritative news sources.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/19/facebook-and-youtube-defend-response-to-christchurch-videos?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Those uploads must have been done by an organised group.
  • Options
    edited March 2019
    In the words of the late Rev. Paisley:

NEVER! NEVER! NEVER!

:D
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,918
    edited March 2019

"A "double first" at Oxford usually informally refers to first-class honours in both components of an undergraduate degree, i.e. Moderations/Prelims and the Final Honour School, or in both the bachelor's and master's components of an integrated master's degree."

Google is your friend.
    So he got a first in the first bit of his undergraduate degree and a first in the second bit of his undergraduate degree. So he got a first overall. But for some godforsaken reason Oxford calls this a "Double First". Ok, good to know.

Incidentally, what's an "integrated batchelors and masters" degree? Is it just a four-year Batchelor's? Masters degrees aren't divided into 1/2.1/2.2/3etc, they're divided into "Distinction/Pass/Fail" or similar.
  • Options

Shocking numbers here.

Shocking if you do not believe in organised and often state-backed and automated exploitation of social media for subversion and propaganda. So unlike our own Brexit debate!
  • Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Scott_P said:
    Put through electoral calculus, that gives one of the most well-hung Parliaments ever:
    Con: 285 (first in seats, second in votes)
    Lab: 270 (down in votes, up in seats)
    SNP: 46
    LD: 20
    TIG: 7
    Plaid: 3
    Green: 1
    UKIP: 0
    (N Ire: 18)

Make a Government out of that little lot...
    I really fail to see where the 7 TIG MPs come from!
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    So Theresa May is preparing to revoke Article 50. It is unwinding more quickly than we thought.
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870

Shocking numbers here.

Those uploads must have been done by an organised group.
    I wouldn't call 4chan "organised".
  • Options

So Theresa May is preparing to revoke Article 50. It is unwinding more quickly than we thought.
    hahaha.
  • Options
    Was it David Cameron who used to ask his old history teacher for advice? Come to think of it, Eton gave us Cameron, Boris and Jacob Rees-Mogg. And thence came Brexit. If ever a school was crying out for an Ofsted inspection!
  • Options
  • Options
    HYUFDHYUFD Posts: 117,097
    Scott_P said:
    Parliament has already voted for extension, it is just waiting for the EU's terms
  • Options
    Harris_TweedHarris_Tweed Posts: 1,300
    viewcode said:

Google is your friend.
    So he got a first in the first bit of his undergraduate degree and a first in the second bit of his undergraduate degree. So he got a first overall. But for some godforsaken reason Oxford calls this a "Double First". Ok, good to know.

Incidentally, what's an "integrated batchelors and masters" degree? Is it just a four-year Batchelor's. Masters degrees aren't divided into 1/2.1/2.2/3etc, they're divided into "Distinction/Pass/Fail" or similar.
    (Heard this secondhand, so sorry if it's BS, but...)

Is that the thing where Oxford will sell you a Masters for an extra £50 when you complete your degree... but apparently no-one goes for it unless they want to hawk themselves abroad because everyone* in the UK knows about it and it's not seen as a classy look.

(*Spoiler alert: I didn't)
This discussion has been closed.