Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Now three CON MPs defect to the TIGers

Comments

• Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    AndyJS said:

So has anyone discussed the scenario where tiggers split the Tory vote worse than the Labour vote and put Corbyn into number 10?

Very unlikely because most Tories were Leave supporters.
    Not convinced we're going to be running on Brexit in 2022. It's a different matter if we have an early election.
  • Options
    what's corbyn's badge
  • Options
    Corbyn: I see no ships...
  • Options
    Sodium said:

SunnyJim said:

Brexit is the poundland glue binding the disparate parts of TIG together.

Once the UK exits (or remains) it will come apart in double quick time.

I imagine they would be able to find a lot of common ground in the centre:

- Pro EU/anti Brexit
    - Continued mass immigration (all parties want this, but the rhetoric is different)
    - High public spending on front line services
    - PR/House of Lords reform (all small parties want this as it gets them more power)
    - General disdain towards the working class and those who voted Brexit
    Centrist Dad to become a protected category
  • Options
    REAKING: Times/YouGov voter intention poll Con 38 Lab 26 *TIG 14* LD 7 SNP/Plaid 5 Other 11

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLL
  • Options
    OllyTOllyT Posts: 4,921
    Barnesian said:

Danny565 said:

Can anyone explain how this 'Independent Group' are going to come up with domestic policies that appeal to Labour voters, when one of their members has spent the last 9 years being one of the main cheerleaders for austerity (Soubry)?

They can't. The only thing that holds them together is opposition to Brexit (and Corbyn). That's it.

I think you are overestimating the attention the average voter pays to the details.

How could anyone who backed Blair's New Labour back the snti-semetic, pro Brexit Corbyn sh1tshow? Yet many do. Politics is not rational
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,429
    AndyJS said:

So has anyone discussed the scenario where tiggers split the Tory vote worse than the Labour vote and put Corbyn into number 10?

There are enough who aren't to keep things interesting.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,403
    May very very bad answering these backstop questions.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 76,001
    All the Labour loyalists seem to be wearing a badge !
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,385

In other news, what the actual f##k...

Alabama newspaper editor calls on KKK to lynch Democrats

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-us-canada-47295551

Is s/he in the pay of Novaro Media?
  • Options

REAKING: Times/YouGov voter intention poll Con 38 Lab 26 *TIG 14* LD 7 SNP/Plaid 5 Other 11

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

Blimey.
  • Options

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

Wow
  • Options
    Oh God. May and Corbyn are just linked in a death spiral over Brexit.
  • Options
    Dura_AceDura_Ace Posts: 13,029

what's corbyn's badge

Jedem das seine.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,205

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

How much of "Other" is Ukip?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,941

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

Wow!
    (Obviously conducted before Con defections though).
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    She can't look him in the eye.
  • Options
    What's "misonogic abuse"?
  • Options
    PolruanPolruan Posts: 2,083
    AndyJS said:

It depends how leave-y Labour are perceived as; they may still be able to sit on the fence in that way oppositions can do and governments can’t. There’s also evidence that Brexit is not that salient as an issue for many Labour voters (maybe that’s Lab Leavers not Lab remainers though). If the TigDems look a bit Cameroony you can see them repelling the left-wing vote while attracting less right-wing Tories.
  • Options
    Good from Jezza.
  • Options
    GIN1138GIN1138 Posts: 20,920
    Theresa and Jezza not having a very good outing...
  • Options

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

Labour sub 30.

Yeah, no one saw that coming at any time.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    I think you'd say this is fairly subdued.
  • Options

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

Simply noise so far. There hasn't been time for sober reaction. If it's like that in three months Labour should officially soil themselves.

That said, there was a poll not long ago wasn't there which put Labour on around 25% if they didn't try to reverse Brexit. So it's not crazily improbable.
  • Options
    Sodium said:

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

A party a couple of days old polling double the Lib Dem score.

You've got to laugh haven't you?
    'Twas the same in the 1980s. People like novelty. The good news from the LibDem perspective is that TIG isn't pushing them down that much and has pulled a lot of support across from Labour. Will be interesting to see if today's news dents the Tory score.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

Wow
    At this rate of growth, they'll be leading the polls within a couple of weeks.
  • Options
    The two main parties in a two party system have spent the last couple of years trying to bring the two party system to an end by their actions.

The peril for both of them now is what calculations other MPs start to make once they start to see some polling on this and for Labour in particular the search for purity leads to repeated shootings in the foot. After JC responded yesterday the only surprise was only one of theirs went last night.

Drinks all round!
  • Options
    SunnyJimSunnyJim Posts: 1,106

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

The LD talking head on Skynews earlier said there was no chance of her party folding in to TIG.

I have my doubts lol.
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Theresa May surprisingly confident at PMQs.
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

Simply noise so far. There hasn't been time for sober reaction. If it's like that in three months Labour should officially soil themselves.

That said, there was a poll not long ago wasn't there which put Labour on around 25% if they didn't try to reverse Brexit. So it's not crazily improbable.
    Agreed, though even if it's not soiling time yet, still very alarming numbers for Labour.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited February 2019
    Loads of Oppo on the order paper, so no opportunity for Bercow to call TIGers.

EDIT: theoretically...
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

Wow!
    (Obviously conducted before Con defections though).

Yes, it will probably impress on the upside now three of the cleverest and most sensible Tories have joined the Tigger ranks. BOUNCE!
  • Options

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

Labour sub 30.

Heading toward Scottish Labour polling. All going well.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

The LD talking head on Skynews earlier said there was no chance of her party folding in to TIG.

I have my doubts lol.
    They will need to sue for peace asap.
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

Wow, that would be a Tory landslide beyond anything we've ever seen. Nice one Chuka!
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967
    IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

About one third of the voters are right wing, and pro-Brexit, so that's probably the Conservatives' floor.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

I have my doubts lol.
    There isn't much particularly liberal about the new party, although I am sure the LDs would have taken in Allen and probably Chuka and Wollaston.

The better hope for the LibDems is that a one-election deal delivers PR and allows them a fuller role in politics nationwide thereafter.
  • Options

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

Labour sub 30.

Heading toward Scottish Labour polling. All going well.
    Ah, but if you add 20 for a general election campaign, then they win by miles.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

IanB2 said:

AndyJS said:

About one third of the voters are right wing, and pro-Brexit, so that's probably the Conservatives' floor.
    Farage's floor*
  • Options
    I am not getting excited by this initial polling...at the moment they have no policies, other than I think most people know them as Remain. Other than that, I am sure there are lots of people just pinning what they think they will be and telling polling company accordingly.
  • Options
    May finally using the Hatton ammunition. Open goal.
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    The YouGov also carries a standard voting question (without the Tiggers), which still nonetheless has the worst Labour score since the election

https://twitter.com/MattChorley/status/1098192665257103365
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,144

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

12 Smiling Theresa Mays.......
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146

May finally using the Hatton ammunition. Open goal.

His name isn't really recognisable with the 'Derek'. I wasn't sure who she was talking about for a moment.
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

Wow
    At this rate of growth, they'll be leading the polls within a couple of weeks.
    In 1981 it took ten months from Limehouse Declaration to leading the polls.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Danny565 said:

The YouGov also carries a standard voting question (without the Tiggers), which still nonetheless has the worst Labour score since the election

Those figures on the left are a whole lot more damning for Labour. How can they be 8 points adrift of this lot two years into a Parliament? You would have expected even the Marquis of Granby to be 15 points ahead.

And these polls showing them adrift are starting to become a trend. A disturbing one for Labour.
  • Options

I am not getting excited by this initial polling...at the moment they have no policies, other than I think most people know them as Remain. Other than that, I am sure there are lots of people just pinning what they think they will be and telling polling company accordingly.

Well there's two questions: Can tiggers survive as an electoral force, and what relative effect will they have on the big two in the next election? I'd say the Yougov poll is pretty much meaningless on the first question, but a cause for extremely cautious optimism for Tories on the second question
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    It makes sense for TIG to leave themselves as a blank sheet for as long as possible to allow voters to project on to them.

If they can keep the momentum going in both defections and polling then they can build a critical mass.

I have my doubts though about the driving premise of the whole exercise in terms of its longevity.
  • Options
    Not at all surprised by Soubry or Wollaston.

But, um, asking for a friend, would it raise too many PB eyebrows if my, er, friend feels disappointment at Heidi Allen resigning, if only because my, er, friend has taken quite a fancy to her?

Remember, I'm asking for my, er, friend!
  • Options
    AndyJSAndyJS Posts: 29,395
    Richard Harrington sitting on the government benches. Rumours of his defection were obviously exaggerated.
  • Options
    nico67nico67 Posts: 4,502
    The YouGov poll puts a lot of pressure on Labour to support a second vote .
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,146
    Danny565 said:

Interesting that they take as about much collectively from the Tories and Lib Dems as from Labour.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    edited February 2019
    Baxtered for fun: Con 363, Lab 164, LD 16, Tiggies 41 (wot).

Of course, nobody will have the faintest idea of how to model Tiggie figures.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

It really doesn't.
  • Options
    Richard_NabaviRichard_Nabavi Posts: 30,820
    edited February 2019
    AndyJS said:

Richard Harrington sitting on the government benches. Rumours of his defection were obviously exaggerated.

After the next iteration of the meaningful vote, I think, unless things change. He's very loyal, a real party man and has been a supporter of Theresa May, but he won't remain in a government taking us to a crash-out no-deal.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

Close to the 2005 result then, but the other way around?
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,967

As it happens, I would not be surprised if at some point, TIG led in a poll or two, but it's likely to be froth.
  • Options
    nico67 said:

but the leadership is utterly opposed to it.

why would they support it? staying the course, ridding themselves of a few more red tories and remaining ideologically pure is much more in character.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    SunnyJim said:

It makes sense for TIG to leave themselves as a blank sheet for as long as possible to allow voters to project on to them.

If they can keep the momentum going in both defections and polling then they can build a critical mass.

I have my doubts though about the driving premise of the whole exercise in terms of its longevity.

Exactly.

Other than a position on Brexit the Tiggers don't really need any clear policies, not yet anyway. All they need to appear to be is something different from two main parties who're not making any progress on anything and the fact that they're constituted of MPs previously from both those parties only helps.
  • Options
    Andrew said:

I hear E. H. Shepard was quite good at tigger figures.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

nico67 said:

It really doesn't.
    If Corbyn continues ignoring a second vote there will be even more resignations .
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
    https://twitter.com/britainelects/status/1098196101042196482

Corbyn hauls Labour into another lead...not.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

nico67 said:

It really doesn't.
    It certainly doesn't put any pressure on May to pursue that course !
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,333
    OllyT said:

I think you are overestimating the attention the average voter pays to the details.

How could anyone who backed Blair's New Labour back the snti-semetic, pro Brexit Corbyn sh1tshow? Yet many do. Politics is not rational

Of course it isn't. Because its raw material - people - are not rational.

Especially other people.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Land of Hope and Tories
  • Options

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

If that lasts a while, the incentive for Labour to get a leader with whom TIG and the LibDems (and probably SNP and Plaid) could do business will start to grow.

Not that I expect Labour to revolt again any time soon.
  • Options

nico67 said:

but the leadership is utterly opposed to it.

why would they support it? staying the course, ridding themselves of a few more red tories and remaining ideologically pure is much more in character.
    Might be worth it to see the look on Chuka's face
  • Options
    dyedwooliedyedwoolie Posts: 7,786
    Worth remembering the SDP polled 51% after Crosby
    However I think the Tiggers will poll in the 20s at an election. Labour are finished.
  • Options

But, um, asking for a friend, would it raise too many PB eyebrows if my, er, friend feels disappointment at Heidi Allen resigning, if only because my, er, friend has taken quite a fancy to her?

I've found myself thinking similar about Luciana Berger.

Could be worse I suppose, it could be Anna Soubry.
  • Options
    TIG gets as many votes from the LDs as from Labour.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,554

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

That shows just how bloody useless the Lib Dems have become that a Remainer party with no policies is twice as popular as they are.
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:

Even that one ...

OK, even with TIG, sub-30 is more than achievable.

Get Galloway back in, set OJ and Bastani up to 11, stand back and you'll have an ideologically pure 28 % in no time.
  • Options

However I think the Tiggers will poll in the 20s at an election. Labour are finished.

So did the SDP, but it didn't finish Labour.
  • Options
    dr_spyndr_spyn Posts: 11,290
  • Options

Danny565 said:

Interesting that they take as about much collectively from the Tories and Lib Dems as from Labour.
    In terms of 2017 votes, TIG take much more of the Lib Dem vote (39%) than from the Labour vote (19%). They take 8% of the Tory vote.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,505

The way Brexit is being handled, we'll move from just inside the tent with opt-outs, to just outside the tent with opt-ins.

Of course there will be administrative and clerking problems.

But in 2022, how many extra votes will the boast 'I'm an ardent remainer' be worth? The LDs excellent on-the-ground operation will be worth more. But---and this is the point--it is unlikely to be any better than last time.

It's no less absurd to have Brexit as a political dividing line than anything else. In Ireland, for a long time political divisions were based on the respective parties' views on events in 1916-1924.

For a long time we were content to grumpily co-exist with different views on our membership of a trading bloc while perceiving idiocy and/or evil in those who differed in their view of whether the state should spend 38% or 42% of GDP. Perceiving idiocy and/or evil with those of a differing view about membership of a rrade association is no more or less ridiculous a thing to fall out about.
    Everyone's views are shades of grey. But humans are regrettably hard-wired to perceive us and thems, and to find reasons to despise thems.
  • Options
    Most telling thing is TIG would apparently take 11% of the Leave vote (compared to 18% of the Remain vote).

Hands up who thinks that would withstand an election campaign where they're banging on about Brexit nonstop.
  • Options

SunnyJim said:

Exactly.

Other than a position on Brexit the Tiggers don't really need any clear policies, not yet anyway. All they need to appear to be is something different from two main parties who're not making any progress on anything and the fact that they're constituted of MPs previously from both those parties only helps.
    Spot on. And that is why their strategy is exactly right.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Berger's got that hot mum at the school gates/work wife schtick.
  • Options
    Surely Theresa May must be thinking of calling a GE?
  • Options
    Chuka calling for PMQs to be abolished
  • Options
    dr_spyn said:
    Labour need to focus on that one guy who switches from the Tories when TIG is included
  • Options
    I guess Corbyn's got to get the party down to the 20s, so he can repeat his 20pt swing at the next election.
  • Options
    SunnyJim said:

Liz Kendall is also a possible Tigger. Liz, Heidi and Luciana all in the same party?
  • Options
    The YouGov normal poll with Labour only down one is good considering the wall to wall coverage of the Labour resignations . Now that some Tories have jumped ship we best wait to see whether that effects things . But its clear Labour will be hit badly especially in urban areas if they don’t support a second vote .
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,880

LOOOOOOOLLLLLLL

If that lasts a while, the incentive for Labour to get a leader with whom TIG and the LibDems (and probably SNP and Plaid) could do business will start to grow.

Not that I expect Labour to revolt again any time soon.
    Quite. It's not gonna happen. Imagine (say) Keir Starmer becoming Labour leader. How would the vocal Momentum-Owen Jones-Novara Media faction take that? The news would be little else but Labour splits.

Labour has left the moderates and there's no going back. The TIGgers have finally realised it; some of their former colleagues are a bit slower on the uptake.
  • Options
    Mr. 565, they'd be aided by Corbyn leading Labour, and maybe by the Conservative leadership too.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

Most telling thing is TIG would apparently take 11% of the Leave vote (compared to 18% of the Remain vote).

Hands up who thinks that would withstand an election campaign where they're banging on about Brexit nonstop.

Unless that's the 11% who now realise their mistake?
  • Options
    nico67 said:

The YouGov normal poll with Labour only down one is good considering the wall to wall coverage of the Labour resignations . Now that some Tories have jumped ship we best wait to see whether that effects things . But its clear Labour will be hit badly especially in urban areas if they don’t support a second vote .

what on earth would a bad poll look like?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Yeah but 1983 labour weren't this shower and didn't go in on 240 seats
  • Options
    Kippers Reckless and Carswell resigned as MPs and triggered by-elections.

Come on, TIG! Put your parliamentary money where your mouths are!
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    A lot can change in politics but surely the Tories will lead every poll for the next few weeks now.
  • Options
    Tissue_PriceTissue_Price Posts: 9,039
    edited February 2019

dr_spyn said:

Even that one ...

OK, even with TIG, sub-30 is more than achievable.

Get Galloway back in, set OJ and Bastani up to 11, stand back and you'll have an ideologically pure 28 % in no time.
    The TIG is why I bet on Labour scoring under 20% at the next election, back in 2016. Events intervened...
  • Options
    _Anazina_ said:

SunnyJim said:

Liz Kendall is also a possible Tigger. Liz, Heidi and Luciana all in the same party?
    Polling for 18-20 year old males...

TIG 110%
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Labour had much deeper roots back then. The world of a heavily unionised manual workforce has largely disappeared.
  • Options
    Danny565 said:

You really are rattled by the Tiggers aren't you?
  • Options
    ydoethur said:

Andrew said:

Close to the 2005 result then, but the other way around?
    No it's more 2001 without the Scotland boost to governing party
  • Options
    OllyT said:

Barnesian said:

Danny565 said:

Can anyone explain how this 'Independent Group' are going to come up with domestic policies that appeal to Labour voters, when one of their members has spent the last 9 years being one of the main cheerleaders for austerity (Soubry)?

They can't. The only thing that holds them together is opposition to Brexit (and Corbyn). That's it.

But that's the other way round (when you have the benefit of inheriting the name badge from one of the big two). Admittedly, TIG has the benefit of novelty.. but there's no block vote which becomes yours to lose.
  • Options
    YBarddCwscYBarddCwsc Posts: 7,172
    Fortunately, we one (or two) by-elections in the offing.

Leaver-stan Newport West and Peterborough. Unpromising Tigger territory.

I don't even think -- in these two forthcoming real tests -- the Tiggers will even save their deposits.

Can you imagine Chuka pounding the streets of Peterborough?
This discussion has been closed.