Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The seven’s great strength is that they’ve not tried to be too

123457»

Comments

• Options
    justin124justin124 Posts: 11,527

Not sure if this has been covered - but how would the TIGers vote in a formal vote of confidence either in Theresa May's government, or a prospective Corbyn government? It could become a very important question...

Given what was said yesterday, I do not see how they could vote for a prospective Corbyn government.
    But given the FTPA, that wouldn't be a barrier to voting against the government in a confidence vote because they could then dictate terms for a Con-TIG confidence and supply agreement.
    Would they really wish to be seen as Tory allies?
  • Options
    RecidivistRecidivist Posts: 4,679
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:
    Like @Pulpstar I think the Labour price is a steal.
    Is the Conservative one the value there? Labour were about double the Tories in 2015, so if Chuka and Labour split exactly 50:50 the blues could squeak in. Not very likely, but 25 to 1 is a good price.

I might risk a tenner.
    Don't. The Tories won't win Streatham, it's way less than a 4% chance.
    You are right. It sounded good when I looked at the percentages, but then I remembered what Streatham is like. I'll back Soubry to hold her seat as an Independent when a market emerges instead.
  • Options
    eekeek Posts: 24,992

TOPPING said:

TOPPING said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    Eugh. My periodic reminder to be thankful, as a Bitter Remoaner and member of the Out Of Touch Metropolitan Liberal Elite, that I never frequent McDonald's.
    More of a KFC man?
    Ha ha, no. Prefer a local greasy spoon with a good hygiene rating.
    Isn't such a thing a bit of an oxymoron?
    Not really. If you can find one they're pretty good: the food is cheap and warm and nobody hassles you. Starbucks is overpriced and overcrowded, and the queues are too long.
    I was in such an establishment in Stoke the other week...they put my double espresso in a builders mug!
    £2.70 for a coffee - just bog standard black coffee (americano). It's extraordinary. And millions upon millions of people buy them every day. The other day I was at a station and because time was short I ordered an americano from Starbucks. He said £2.70 and I said no sorry I can't do it and walked out.

The last time I did that was over 15 years ago when the Troubadour on the Old Brompton Road tried to charge £6 for a very small tub of potato salad.

Just so everyone knows.
    Sam Harris has an interesting bit about this...that so many people will happily spend $5 a day in Starbucks, but asked to pay $5-10 a month for some service they complain like crazy.
    Yes it's funny isn't it. I must say that my hand has hovered over the Graun's subscription as it is my sort of go to news provider, but I haven't done so yet.
    One issue with the digital content model is fragmentation of the market. If you pay for Spotify you basically get everything, however that isn't true for most of the digital space.

You pay for Netflix and yet you still don't get loads of things (and now Disney have pulled their stuff and launch their own service, it will be even less). All these paywalled newspaper services...they would be much better getting together and offering "News Inc", where you paid $10 a month and go access to a range of newspapers, the Times, Guardian, Washington Post etc.
    Apple supposedly have an Apple News subscription service coming soon. Supposedly they are hoping to pocket 50% of the fees and keep prices low so I'm not sure how successful it would be
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    Are Tories waiting to jump just before PMQs tomorrow?
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    justin124 said:

Not sure if this has been covered - but how would the TIGers vote in a formal vote of confidence either in Theresa May's government, or a prospective Corbyn government? It could become a very important question...

Given what was said yesterday, I do not see how they could vote for a prospective Corbyn government.
    But given the FTPA, that wouldn't be a barrier to voting against the government in a confidence vote because they could then dictate terms for a Con-TIG confidence and supply agreement.
    Maybe maybe not but they would have two and a half years to work out what they do want to be seen as and in the meantime, they hold an inordinate amount of power, relative to their circumstance.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,848

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    Eugh. My periodic reminder to be thankful, as a Bitter Remoaner and member of the Out Of Touch Metropolitan Liberal Elite, that I never frequent McDonald's.
    More of a KFC man?
    Not really. If you can find one they're pretty good: the food is cheap and warm and nobody hassles you. Starbucks is overpriced and overcrowded, and the queues are too long.
    I was in such an establishment in Stoke the other week...they put my double espresso in a builders mug! Absolutely outrageous.
    They told you it was a double espresso. In reality they gargled the milk. Don't ask about the sprinkled chocolate... :)

Speaking resriohsly, the rise of coffee culture had ruined local caffs. It used to be you'd go in, grab a tea and cheese on toast, have it in a proper mug and cutlery, and you could sit down for 30mins and watch the world go by for ridiculously little money. Now you have to wait ten minutes in the queue because every single person in the world cannot function without their decadent overprepared coffee that takes ages to prepare and longer to spell. And you need a mortgage for a sandwich. Aaargh!

(Grumpy viewcode mode off now... :) )
  • Options
    Ishmael_ZIshmael_Z Posts: 8,981
    eek said:

Sandpit said:

Ishmael_Z said:

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

We truly have a stunning jobs miracle. The fact that it is largely unremarked on is maybe a sign of the times.

We are now ironically firmly in the arena of harming economic growth by restricting migration.

The other aspect to Japanese companies moving production back to Japan is that Japanese immigration policy is liberalizing very fast.
    About time. That has been a major drag on their growth for decades.
    Very funny to hear this from a Leaver.
    Why? We are not all the raving xenophobes of your imagination you know.
    I think that's the first time that I've seen a Leaver admit that there may have been the teeniest bit of xenophobia fluttering the hearts of *some* of those who voted for Leave. Well played.
    It would be stupid to pretend otherwise. Similarly, there are people on the other side who genuinely have no time for the concepts of individual countries at all, not even bonny Scotland.
    Having had a to-and-fro with various PB Tories/Unionists (tbf I don't think you were one of them) about whether Scotland was in fact a country, I'm fully aware that there are plenty of folk with no time for the concept of certain individual countries.
    "Country" is not a very useful term due to its ambiguity; "state" even worse.
    Nobody who has spent more than ten minutes in Scotland could deny it is a country.
    Is Quebec?
    I don't know, I have never been there. Scotland is certainly more of a country than England is.
    Mystified by this. How exactly does Scotland convey its countrihood to the >10 min visitor?
    Through their monopoly money.

Which as I'm finding out today, is an arse to use in England.
    Ha, schoolboy error. That why trains from Scotland to London have buffet cars, to get rid of the funny money before we have to offer them to a cabbie at the other end.
    Buffet car? First Class has a complementary at seat service why would you go to the buffet car?
    What is it the complement of?
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    edited February 2019

IanB2 said:

Looking at their recent retweets I reckon both Soubry and Wollaston are going to jump.

Just checked that out. I think you are right.
    Wollaston is gone all but officially, I'm surprised the Tories don't out her now to steal her thunder. She is one person who by leaving will strengthen the Tories given her voting record, Cameron loyalty and extreme Brexit views.
  • Options
    AndrewAndrew Posts: 2,900
    IanB2 said:

Looking at their recent retweets I reckon both Soubry and Wollaston are going to jump.

Certainly seems like a distinct possibility ...... maybe just waiting to see how the first-jumpers get on? If there are sharks in the sea, not a bad idea to watch and see if anyone gets eaten before you follow.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

We truly have a stunning jobs miracle. The fact that it is largely unremarked on is maybe a sign of the times.

We are now ironically firmly in the arena of harming economic growth by restricting migration.

The other aspect to Japanese companies moving production back to Japan is that Japanese immigration policy is liberalizing very fast.
    I think that's the first time that I've seen a Leaver admit that there may have been the teeniest bit of xenophobia fluttering the hearts of *some* of those who voted for Leave. Well played.
    It would be stupid to pretend otherwise. Similarly, there are people on the other side who genuinely have no time for the concepts of individual countries at all, not even bonny Scotland.
    Having had a to-and-fro with various PB Tories/Unionists (tbf I don't think you were one of them) about whether Scotland was in fact a country, I'm fully aware that there are plenty of folk with no time for the concept of certain individual countries.
    Nobody who has spent more than ten minutes in Scotland could deny it is a country.
    Is Quebec?
    Or Bavaria? Or Tuscany?
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

Good spot.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    More of a KFC man?
    I was in such an establishment in Stoke the other week...they put my double espresso in a builders mug! Absolutely outrageous.
    They told you it was a double espresso. In reality they gargled the milk. Don't ask about the sprinkled chocolate... :)

Speaking resriohsly, the rise of coffee culture had ruined local caffs. It used to be you'd go in, grab a tea and cheese on toast, have it in a proper mug and cutlery, and you could sit down for 30mins and watch the world go by for ridiculously little money. Now you have to wait ten minutes in the queue because every single person in the world cannot function without their decadent overprepared coffee that takes ages to prepare and longer to spell. And you need a mortgage for a sandwich. Aaargh!

Psst. No milk or chocolate in an espresso.. so you'd easily spot that :)
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:
    Wollaston, Totnes could be the interesting one if offered. The Lib Dems might not run, or run a paper candidate, against her if she runs as an independent.
    Both LibDems and the Greens are key to Totnes. I also know some of the Labour vote would peel off to her as an independent - they really like her, but just can't stomach voting Tory.

That said, those who don't like her REALLY don't like her. The Tory campaign would be quite enthused to boot her out.

But if there are no active LibDem and Green campaigns, I reckon Dr. Sarah might be the sole Tigger in town after the next election....
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:

Labour TIGGERs like CU have a much better chance of retaining seats after a GE than any likely joiners from the Cons.

Labour losing Streatham ? I'll believe it when I see it. Kate Hoey's win in Vauxhall was proof plum pudding that people prioritise the Labour mark over any 'individual' vote.
    Might be different in a by-election when fewer people vote and when those that do are more likely to understand why the by-election has occurred.

But a GE is very different, as shown in Rochester and Strood in 2015.
    Until 1992 Streatham was a Tory seat - represented by Duncan Sandys for many years. There have been boundary changes plus significant demographic change.
  • Options

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    More of a KFC man?

To be honest not sure how much espresso there was in there either....
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

Maybe maybe not but they would have two and a half years to work out what they do want to be seen as and in the meantime, they hold an inordinate amount of power, relative to their circumstance.
    If they secured a referendum they could always bring down the government afterwards. I don't think any of the Lib Dem lurgy would afflict them in those circumstances.
  • Options
    viewcodeviewcode Posts: 18,848

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    More of a KFC man?

I eschew fancy-dan coffees in favour of honest working diet Coke. Plus I don't actually know the lingo and I'm embarrassed to ask. Plus I'm fucked if I'm paying that much... :)
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2019
    Jezza speaking now about the gang of 7....and he had nothing to say...now claiming he is definitely tried to get a second referendum.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    More of a KFC man?

I eschew fancy-dan coffees in favour of honest working diet Coke. Plus I don't actually know the lingo and I'm embarrassed to ask. Plus I'm fucked if I'm paying that much... :)
    Diet coke? Miss Cyclefree will be along to heap opprobrium upon thee in 5,4,3.....
  • Options

TOPPING said:

justin124 said:

If they secured a referendum they could always bring down the government afterwards. I don't think any of the Lib Dem lurgy would afflict them in those circumstances.
    They could be the difference between any and every policy or vote from now until 2022. That is in anyone's book a success. And success breeds success. Would you rather be a marginalised back bencher in the Cons or Lab or have real influence in parliament, a la the DUP in a new grouping/party? It's a no-brainer.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,080
    This was said with Michael Gove sitting on the stage with her.

https://twitter.com/Channel4News/status/1097841785173393409
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    I had understood that the 7 MPs had stated they will not be contesting their own seats next time.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    sounds like he's saying 'come and get me....'.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    justin124 said:

TGOHF said:
    I had understood that the 7 MPs had stated they will not be contesting their own seats next time.
    Maybe Ladbrokes understood that too!!

EDIT Although I'd say it were a daft decision to make in advance. Wave goodbye to your activists, your local knowledge? Dumb.
  • Options
    viewcode said:

viewcode said:

Scott_P said:
    More of a KFC man?

Also, somehow, any place with a fancy coffee machine is completely clueless when it comes to making tea. It's no good giving me a glass of hot water and a teabag in its packet.
  • Options
    kinabalukinabalu Posts: 39,250
    edited February 2019
    Starbucks? Awful places. Sterile and ridiculously overpriced. And I say that as a Remainer.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

TGOHF said:
    Is the Conservative one the value there? Labour were about double the Tories in 2015, so if Chuka and Labour split exactly 50:50 the blues could squeak in. Not very likely, but 25 to 1 is a good price.

I might risk a tenner.
    Don't. The Tories won't win Streatham, it's way less than a 4% chance.
    Indeed. Even if Labour split 50%+1 to 50%-1 which wouldn't happen the Tories would still be third on historic results.
  • Options

Didn’t farmers vote for Brexit?

Looks like Brexit is about to shit on another constituency that voted Leave.

The likes of Gove won’t be able to go out in public without a battalion of bodyguards.
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:

Are Tories waiting to jump just before PMQs tomorrow?

Narrator : " They didn't.."

• Options

The likes of Gove won’t be able to go out in public without a battalion of bodyguards.
    The NFU (halfheartedly) backed Remain in the referendum.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298

Further underlines how no deal is one gigantic bluff. The bluff itself is doing damage enough.
  • Options

justin124 said:

TGOHF said:

EDIT Although I'd say it were a daft decision to make in advance. Wave goodbye to your activists, your local knowledge? Dumb.
    Unlikely that many activists would have followed them though.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    If that is expectations management there is a risk that it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Brexit in 921 hours.
  • Options
    justin124 said:

justin124 said:

TGOHF said:

It will vary constituency by constituency, but the personal relationships will be with the ones who know how things work and how to run a campaign (as opposed to the newcomers agitating for the VONC)....
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930
    kinabalu said:

Starbucks? Awful places. Sterile and ridiculously overpriced. And I say that as a Remainer.

I don't think the view from my local Costa can be beaten : https://tinyurl.com/yxpykfme . No, I've never visited.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Well we all know that is the truth.
  • Options
    Pulpstar said:

kinabalu said:

I don't think the view from my local Costa can be beaten : https://tinyurl.com/yxpykfme . No, I've never visited.
    Looks idyllic.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,660
    Scott_P said:
    Farage could credibly make the same claim...
  • Options

justin124 said:

justin124 said:

TGOHF said:

It will vary constituency by constituency, but the personal relationships will be with the ones who know how things work and how to run a campaign (as opposed to the newcomers agitating for the VONC)....
    I suspect that most activists will feel betrayed.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2019
    So McDonnell says we must listen to the disgruntled, Jezza says they must listen to me.
  • Options
    Exactly. He and all his followers did so they should be happy.

But it irks, or is strange then, when some (I think @justin124 on here, but I could be mistaken in which case apols) then tell us what they should and shouldn't do, or how they should or shouldn't vote. That is the bit that makes no sense.
  • Options
    Oh and btw easily the best username on PB.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Listening to him at the Q and A session at the manufacturers conference he just does not care and is locked in his straight jacket of hard left views. This can only end in more defections and as far as McDonnell is concerned he is fobbing people off, and what's more it is so transparent.

It Soubry and Wollaston defect it will just confirm TIG are a group of remainers and to succeed they need to be a much broader church
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    The question of what this does to the fight against Brexit is honestly an open one. You can go either way. But probably that assessment is based as much on hopes as calculation. The truth is it was emotionally encouraging to see today's presentation. For once, something active and positive was being undertaken. People were admitting out loud what anyone with eyes could see: That the system is broken and failing. That it has to change. And it would have taken a cold and brutalised tribal political heart to resist feeling some joy at that.

http://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2019/02/18/labour-split-the-head-says-no-the-heart-says-yes
  • Options
    New Thread...
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,660
    HYUFD said:

Nigelb said:

Just seen. Bernie Sanders IS having another go.

Is there anybody in the US who isn’t running?
    Biden hasn't actually declared yet (and there is a whole raft of minnows who haven't either, but quite probably won't now).
    Sanders running makes Biden even more likely to do so, I think.

And it looks good for Harris, as she already has oxygen, and Biden/Sanders will deprive others.
    If Biden runs that hits Harris as he is fishing in the same stream of moderate primary voters, while she deprives him of the black vote. Sanders running hits Warren as he will take left liberal voters from her
    An unnecessarily reductive view of things.

They are actually all competing for all votes on offer - and polling has been quite clear that a large majority of Democrats will vote for whomever they think has the strongest chance of beating Trump, with ideology a secondary concern.

And most, unless prompted to choose a candidate, are still undecided.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Listening to him at the Q and A session at the manufacturers conference he just does not care and is locked in his straight jacket of hard left views. This can only end in more defections and as far as McDonnell is concerned he is fobbing people off, and what's more it is so transparent.

It Soubry and Wollaston defect it will just confirm TIG are a group of remainers and to succeed they need to be a much broader church
    Every group needs to have some things that it is for, and against, in order to distinguish itself against other groups. If TIG manage to be broad enough to encompass Remainers from Labour and the Tories then that is probably broad enough to be getting on with.

Brexit is the political issue of the day. Any new political group is going to form around a clear idea of how it relates to Brexit. It's not going to reproduce the divisions within the existing parties.
  • Options
    glwglw Posts: 9,549
    edited February 2019

And if the only thing that unites them is Remain, than at some point — one way or another — the "party" will likely come to an end.

If they have designs on post-Brexit politics they could do with some sensible Leavers joining, and get behind an attempt to steer the UK towards one of the more pragmatic forms of Leave.
  • Options
    CookieCookie Posts: 11,452
    kinabalu said:

I used to rather like Starbucks. I liked that, uniquely among the big chains, they would sell you a filter coffee, rather than an Americano, which is a British version of an Italian version of an American version of the same drink and almost twice as expensive. Then about three years ago they changed the recipe of their carrot cake and I discovered that the only reason I had really ever gone in was for the carrot cake, which had been excellent but.was sadly excellent no longer. Now I share everybody else's irritations with the place and consequently almost never go.
  • Options
    Precisely...
    They jumped too soon and will forever be defined by Brexit.
    https://www.lifestuff.xyz/blog/jumping-the-gun
    glw said:

And if the only thing that unites them is Remain, than at some point — one way or another — the "party" will likely come to an end.

If they have designs on post-Brexit politics they could do with some sensible Leavers joining, and get behind an attempt to steer the UK towards one of the more pragmatic forms of Leave.
  • Options
    TudorRoseTudorRose Posts: 1,662

But Gove voted for the deal....
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    SeanT said:

SeanT said:

MaxPB said:

Honda announcement:

https://global.honda/newsroom/news/2019/c190219beng.html

19 February, 2019 - Honda has today announced it will restructure its global manufacturing network. This restructure comes as Honda accelerates its commitment to electrified cars, in response to the unprecedented changes in the global automotive industry. The significant challenges of electrification will see Honda revise its global manufacturing operations, and focus activity in regions where it expects to have high production volumes.

No mention of the 'B' word.....

yep, this much more about electric cars, than Brexit. The entire automotive industry will be changed in the next few decades.
    I think it is brexit. The government hasn't created the conditions for companies to invest in electric vehicle manufacturing in the UK. We've got a huge cloud over our future trading relationships and just as the industry is about to go through huge changes the government aren't even in first gear, they've stalled the car. I put the blame on Liam Fox and the idiots who didn't vote through the PM's deal.
    It is clearly, in part, Brexit, even if that is only a small part. What is more important - and as I predicted here two days ago - is that it is being reported and perceived as Brexit: because it is Project Fear coming true, bigtime, and for the first time.

Question now is what effect this will have on parliamentary and public opinion. If we see a big swing to Remain, then that will surely influence MPs.

I have absolutely no idea if this will happen. Brexit is so imponderable.
    Aren't you wonderful? Predicting here two days ago

Well I never...
    You had to be here (and it was yesterday, I confess - there's so much news packed into every day, an hour feels like a week). Quite a few PB Leavers were saying Honda was a minor story, and would be overshadowed by the Gang of 7, and anyway it didn't matter, Honda were quitting for other reasons - this was to me far too blithe a reaction. Honda is Bad for Brexit.
    Yes, you were spot on. And those that tried to post the story down - deeply wrong.
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

Is Quebec?

Scotland has many more assets of statehood than Quebec. For starters, it has its own football, rugby and cricket teams - sport is an important standard bearer of nationhood.
  • Options

nico67 said:

EU nationals working in the UK down 61,000 on a year earlier . Non EU nationals up 130,000.

So Brits lose their freedom of movement rights to allow more people in from outside the EU from countries that don’t give us freedom of movement .

Is this what Leavers wanted , more non EU migration !

Brexit becomes more absurd by the day .

The difference between the number of immigrants to the UK and the number of immigrants working is rather startling.

Makes you wonder who is migrating to the UK and for what purposes.
    According to the ONS, 74.7% of non-UK born people of working age are in employment, versus 76.3% of UK born people. 82.6% of EU born people and 86.1% of EU8 born people (aka 'Eastern Europeans') are working. Most categories of non-EU born immigrants also have higher rates of employment than UK born people; the notable exception is people born in Bangladesh and Pakistan, where the rate is 55.9%. One would assume much of the latter reflects low formal employment rates for women. Also, non UK born people are more likely to be students, so a good % of immigrants who are not working are studying. So I think the answer to your question is that at least three quarters of migrants come here to work, many of the others come here to study, and there is a group, from South Asia predominantly, who do not undertake paid work but may well have unpaid caring responsibilities (children, parents, parents in law). I doubt many of them are sitting on their arses watching Jeremy Kyle.
    If we have net immigration from the EU why is the number of people from the EU in work falling ?

Likewise the increase in non-EU immigrants is far higher than the increase in non-EU workers.

This hasn't always been the case but there's certainly been a detrimental change in recent years.
This discussion has been closed.