Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » The seven’s great strength is that they’ve not tried to be too

Comments

• Options

How the Honda decision is being reported in Asia:

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Honda-to-shut-UK-plant-by-2022-in-another-Brexit-retreat

Honda to shut UK plant by 2022 in another Brexit retreat

The prospect of Brexit, scheduled for March 29, added yet more uncertainty to a business already mired in red ink. While peer automakers are planning more moderate measures such as temporary stoppages in light of Brexit-linked uncertainty, Honda plans to go a step further by shutting down its only production site in Europe.

Other international companies, including Japanese electronics makers Panasonic and Sony, plan to relocate certain British operations to the European mainland.

“This decision was not informed by Brexit,” said Honda Chief Executive Takahiro Hachigo.

https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-honda-idUKKCN1Q80KF
    Nothing I have read says Honda's decision would have been any different if we had voted to Remain.
    Or if the Honda plant had been in Dublin or Dusseldorf.
  • Options

https://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Honda-to-shut-UK-plant-by-2022-in-another-Brexit-retreat

The prospect of Brexit, scheduled for March 29, added yet more uncertainty to a business already mired in red ink. While peer automakers are planning more moderate measures such as temporary stoppages in light of Brexit-linked uncertainty, Honda plans to go a step further by shutting down its only production site in Europe.

Other international companies, including Japanese electronics makers Panasonic and Sony, plan to relocate certain British operations to the European mainland.

“This decision was not informed by Brexit,” said Honda Chief Executive Takahiro Hachigo.

Nothing I have read says Honda's decision would have been any different if we had voted to Remain.
    Or Turkey...oh it was...and it’s gone too.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,008
    Cyclefree said:

One politician who has impressed me in recent weeks, much to my surprise, has been Tom Watson.

He used to be a bit of a thug, in Brown days. Perhaps he still is. His behaviour over the child abuse accusations was very poor indeed.

And yet he has made two good speeches in recent weeks: one about Mrs May’s failings as leader, which applied to more people than just her. And his statement on Facebook last night following the departure of the Tiggers (brilliant name BTW @Anazina!) was very thoughtful. It struck me as the speech of a leader, of someone who wants to be leader, someone who will be leader, if the opportunity arises.

One to watch, I think.

No longer carrying all that weight is what's done it!
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,329
    Cyclefree said:

One politician who has impressed me in recent weeks, much to my surprise, has been Tom Watson.

He used to be a bit of a thug, in Brown days. Perhaps he still is. His behaviour over the child abuse accusations was very poor indeed.

And yet he has made two good speeches in recent weeks: one about Mrs May’s failings as leader, which applied to more people than just her. And his statement on Facebook last night following the departure of the Tiggers (brilliant name BTW @Anazina!) was very thoughtful. It struck me as the speech of a leader, of someone who wants to be leader, someone who will be leader, if the opportunity arises.

One to watch, I think.

I thought his response on Facebook was very good indeed. But the position of deputy leader in the Labour party, though elected, seems to be a position of no power at all and it is not clear what he can do if Corbyn decides otherwise.
  • Options
    Would they tie up with a Party with a part-Palestinian leader, though?
  • Options

Honda are playing it shrewdly. They know if they explicitly cited Brexit there'd be cries 'treachery', undermining the 'will of the people' and calls for boycotts. Better for them to stay well out of the debate and not antagonise us further.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

Honda announcement:

https://global.honda/newsroom/news/2019/c190219beng.html

19 February, 2019 - Honda has today announced it will restructure its global manufacturing network. This restructure comes as Honda accelerates its commitment to electrified cars, in response to the unprecedented changes in the global automotive industry. The significant challenges of electrification will see Honda revise its global manufacturing operations, and focus activity in regions where it expects to have high production volumes.

No mention of the 'B' word.....

yep, this much more about electric cars, than Brexit. The entire automotive industry will be changed in the next few decades.
    I think it is brexit. The government hasn't created the conditions for companies to invest in electric vehicle manufacturing in the UK. We've got a huge cloud over our future trading relationships and just as the industry is about to go through huge changes the government aren't even in first gear, they've stalled the car. I put the blame on Liam Fox and the idiots who didn't vote through the PM's deal.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

We truly have a stunning jobs miracle. The fact that it is largely unremarked on is maybe a sign of the times.

We are now ironically firmly in the arena of harming economic growth by restricting migration.

The other aspect to Japanese companies moving production back to Japan is that Japanese immigration policy is liberalizing very fast.
    About time. That has been a major drag on their growth for decades.
    Very funny to hear this from a Leaver.
    Why? We are not all the raving xenophobes of your imagination you know.
  • Options
    FrancisUrquhartFrancisUrquhart Posts: 76,285
    edited February 2019
    To say Tom Watson was poor over child abuse stuff is one way of putting it...another is he launched a disgraceful politically motivated witch-hunt based on claims by a highly troubled individual, while totally ignoring credible accusations against individuals in his own party.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,216
    felix said:

It's pretty simple: if Labour was the broad church it used to be fools like Richard Burgon and Barry Gardiner would not be on the front bench and the likes of Cooper, Benn, Nandy and Lammy would be in the shadow cabinet.

That's correct. Interestingly Mcdonnell much more conciliatory today suggesting they're rattled. The Hatton thing however is grotesque and shows the true direction of travel.
    Corbyn was against expelling Militant Tendency members back in the 1980’s. So it is entirely in keeping with his views that people like Hatton would be let back in.

• Options
    DavidL said:

Honda aside, today saw the release of another very strong set of jobs numbers, with the economy adding 427,000 full time jobs in the last year, and a significant q-o-q reduction in both unemployment and inactivity.

Pay growth continues to sit at 3.4%, expanding its lead over inflation slightly to 1.3% - although these things take time to feed into people's wallets in a meaningful way.

Even as someone who tends towards the optimistic on the economy I find these figures bewildering. If output is only rising modestly what the hell are all these people doing? How many fast food delivery cyclists can our economy sustain?
    Taking the place of machines. Businesses are hiring easy to fire people rather than expensive to write off machinery.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Honda announcement:

19 February, 2019 - Honda has today announced it will restructure its global manufacturing network. This restructure comes as Honda accelerates its commitment to electrified cars, in response to the unprecedented changes in the global automotive industry. The significant challenges of electrification will see Honda revise its global manufacturing operations, and focus activity in regions where it expects to have high production volumes.

yep, this much more about electric cars, than Brexit. The entire automotive industry will be changed in the next few decades.
    I think it is brexit. The government hasn't created the conditions for companies to invest in electric vehicle manufacturing in the UK. We've got a huge cloud over our future trading relationships and just as the industry is about to go through huge changes the government aren't even in first gear, they've stalled the car. I put the blame on Liam Fox and the idiots who didn't vote through the PM's deal.
    It’s the perfect storm of change to electric vehicles / diesel scandal / Japan EU Free Trade deal / Brexit uncertainty. We should expect most Japanese and Korean manufacturing / assembly bases in the U.K. to close in the next decade.

What this means is that we have to be hard headed and ask what we are good at. Food / Fishing / advanced manufacturing and r&d / services / finance / higher education. Focus on those
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Honda aside, today saw the release of another very strong set of jobs numbers, with the economy adding 427,000 full time jobs in the last year, and a significant q-o-q reduction in both unemployment and inactivity.

Pay growth continues to sit at 3.4%, expanding its lead over inflation slightly to 1.3% - although these things take time to feed into people's wallets in a meaningful way.

Even as someone who tends towards the optimistic on the economy I find these figures bewildering. If output is only rising modestly what the hell are all these people doing? How many fast food delivery cyclists can our economy sustain?
    In all likelihood, in future years, the ONS will revise output numbers up, as they did for the 2010-2013 period (remember the "double dip recession" of 2012 which turned out never to have happened). No one truly believes that construction output only rose by 0.7% last year, for example.
    The construction figures have been a bit of a joke for a long time. I don't recall the exact figures but there was a 3 year period recently when construction was allegedly in or sitting next to a recession throughout but, on revisal, output was up over 20% over the period.

440K workers is 1.25% of the workforce. Unless the productivity figures are even worse than claimed we must be growing faster than that.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Taking the place of machines. Businesses are hiring easy to fire people rather than expensive to write off machinery.
    It's theoretically possible but I don't see evidence for it, do you?
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    Dura_Ace said:

Roger said:

Sandpit said:

Roger said:

Sandpit said:

No-one mentions companies like McLaren adding over a thousand jobs in the last two years, nor Rolls-Royce, Bentley, Aston Martin, Lotus, TVR, eight out of ten F1 teams, Formula E teams and a whole lot of other car-related manufacturing companies within an hour’s drive of Swindon - all of whom are hiring right now.

Hopefully the company and the relevant government departments will find ways to place people around the industry. Greg Clark needs to step up to this and make sure Honda commit to making sure people get found jobs as the factory closes.

Why build here with our uncertain future when the world's largest market is just a stone's throw away and we're not part of it?
    Because the British manufacturers at the top end of the car market don't care too much about Europe. Their biggest markets are the USA, China, Middle East and the domestic UK market.

Rolls-Royce and McLaren are not about to start making cars elsewhere, nor to they have the volumes to open a second factory. A significant part of their branding is British expertise in luxury and performance vehicles.
    I have been to the Audi BMW and Mercedes factories in Germany having shot commercials for all three. They were all in their different ways like the Guggenheim in Bilbao. i've never seen factories like them. i don't know what the British ones are like but I suspect if they were anything like the German ones they'd have sell-out guided tours.
    I once had to fly a senior Bahraini officer in a Hawk to the Hawk assembly line Brough. It was fucking filthy and looked like something out of Dickens but he was courteous enough to pretend to be impressed. We had a fierce night out in Hull with BAe after though where he got wrecked and pulled a fatty who milked him dry. As we flew over the wild majesty of northern England limned in the white gold of the winter sun on the next morning he said simply, "My balls hurt."
    If that's his taste you should have stopped off in Hartlepool......
  • Options
    Just seen. Bernie Sanders IS having another go.
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082
    Sanders is running.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Yes, business investment is down and employment is up, and that is reflected in output per worker.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

I haven’t seen any articles where anybody seems to have been able to explain what is going on. The likes of the bbc initially would speculate it was zero hours, it was part time jobs, it was low paid one etc, all of which have been debunked.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Honda announcement:

The willingness to cling to their unicorns and allow the uncertainty to go on and on and on is truly disgraceful. This deal should have been put to bed before Christmas at the very latest.
  • Options
    TOPPINGTOPPING Posts: 41,333
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

We truly have a stunning jobs miracle. The fact that it is largely unremarked on is maybe a sign of the times.

We are now ironically firmly in the arena of harming economic growth by restricting migration.

The other aspect to Japanese companies moving production back to Japan is that Japanese immigration policy is liberalizing very fast.
    And yet you voted to keep the foreigners out. Foreigners which you acknowledge contribute to economic growth.

Now of course you voted Leave because you were sick and tired of the EU inspectors on the 21A bus to Cromarty but your vote was for a package of measures including keeping the foreigners out.
  • Options

Is there anybody in the US who isn’t running?
  • Options

Sanders is running.

Bugger.
  • Options
    Sean_FSean_F Posts: 35,850
    DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

In all likelihood, in future years, the ONS will revise output numbers up, as they did for the 2010-2013 period (remember the "double dip recession" of 2012 which turned out never to have happened). No one truly believes that construction output only rose by 0.7% last year, for example.
    The construction figures have been a bit of a joke for a long time. I don't recall the exact figures but there was a 3 year period recently when construction was allegedly in or sitting next to a recession throughout but, on revisal, output was up over 20% over the period.

440K workers is 1.25% of the workforce. Unless the productivity figures are even worse than claimed we must be growing faster than that.
    Since 2013, construction output has risen by one third. But, based on initial estimates, you would think it had been in recession for that whole period.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Honda announcement:

It beggars belief that people can't understand that were we not Brexiting, or were the Brexit we chose a more benign version, then the UK government could have made a play at keeping some, all, part, or a different version of Honda in the UK.

As it is, the uncertainty, together with our possible Hard, and in any case Chaotic Brexit precludes that.
  • Options

To say Tom Watson was poor over child abuse stuff is one way of putting it...another is he launched a disgraceful politically motivated witch-hunt based on claims by a highly troubled individual, while totally ignoring credible accusations against individuals in his own party.

I agree.

But he has shown another more thoughtful side recently.
  • Options
    Mr. L, if the deal weren't atrocious, it would've passed.

Making the backstop harder to leave than the EU is drunken madness.

I'm not in favour of leaving without a deal. A good deal would be fantastic, but it's not going to happen.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I agree.

Learning from experience/reflection?
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

Yes, business investment is down and employment is up, and that is reflected in output per worker.
    "Between 2016 and 2017, GFCF grew by 3.5% while business investment grew by 1.5%."
    https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/grossdomesticproductgdp/bulletins/businessinvestment/julytoseptember2018revisedresults

I mean its not exactly roaring away but its not static or falling either. There is no doubt that Brexit uncertainty is causing a pause at the moment though.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

One to watch, I think.

I thought his response on Facebook was very good indeed. But the position of deputy leader in the Labour party, though elected, seems to be a position of no power at all and it is not clear what he can do if Corbyn decides otherwise.
    I wonder if he’s positioning himself for a post-Corbyn Labour party or a new one, if his Labour party cannot be saved.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Honda announcement:

The willingness to cling to their unicorns and allow the uncertainty to go on and on and on is truly disgraceful. This deal should have been put to bed before Christmas at the very latest.
    Did you not foresee any of this, David, looking at some of your fellow travellers on the Brexit Ford Anglia?
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Cyclefree said:

I agree.

I think it has as much to do what the extremists in and around the leadership do and say that he sounds more reasonable ie please don’t go calling life long labour supporters, whose family history is part of the labour movement a Zionist traitor.
  • Options
    Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Sean_F said:

DavidL said:

Since 2013, construction output has risen by one third. But, based on initial estimates, you would think it had been in recession for that whole period.
    Certainly looks like it in Mid/N Essex. SW Colchester is a massive building site.
  • Options
    RogerRoger Posts: 18,891
    edited February 2019

Roger said:

Nigelb said:

Mr. B, I didn't see any detail as to how, though.

What Wolff said - make of it what you will:

“We are looking at the various scenarios with Mercedes-Benz UK because it not only impacts Formula 1 but it impacts also the mother brand in terms of getting cars and parts in and out of the country,

“But I can see very much if a ‘no deal’ Brexit would happen like [has] been discussed I think we would have a major impact in terms of our operation going to the races and getting our cars developed and ready. So that is a nightmare scenario that I don’t want to even envisage.

“Ferrari in Italy, Sauber [now Alfa Romeo] in Switzerland, they would have a massive advantage over every UK-based team,

“Brexit is a major concern for us and should be a major concern for all of us that live in the UK and operate out of the UK,” said Wolff. “We are Formula 1 teams that travel to races and tests at least 21 times a year. We are moving in and out of the UK, our people move in and out of the UK, the way we are getting parts and services is just-in-time at the last minute into the UK and any major disruption in borders or with taxes would massively damage the Formula One industry in the UK.

“Our team is an international team. We are German car brand that has its own Formula 1 operations in the United Kingdom we have many different nationalities.

“And there is uncertainty at the moment of whether the industry is going to be impacted by a no-deal Brexit or a Brexit that is that is damaging to what for me is one of the the the outstanding industries in the United Kingdom. And we’ve said that before. The mother of all messes.”
    Do you ever wonder whether it's possible those voting Brexit didn't think it through?
    Do you ever wonder how many people will vote differently in a losers vote.

What then.
    I'm curious why you as a Labour warrior were so keen on Leaving?. It wasn't a dislike of foreigners or wanting more sovereignty or any Colonel Blimpish idea of Empire or you wouldn't be a lefty. So what is it?
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

And yet you voted to keep the foreigners out. Foreigners which you acknowledge contribute to economic growth.

Now of course you voted Leave because you were sick and tired of the EU inspectors on the 21A bus to Cromarty but your vote was for a package of measures including keeping the foreigners out.
    I voted leave so that we could decide how many and who could come to our country, things that we were not able to control in the EU. I have no problem with people who are going to make a contribution coming if we need them. Right now we probably do but that will not always be the case. I want these decisions to be made by people I can vote for and against. It's not that complicated.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

I think that's the first time that I've seen a Leaver admit that there may have been the teeniest bit of xenophobia fluttering the hearts of *some* of those who voted for Leave. Well played.
  • Options

Mr. L, if the deal weren't atrocious, it would've passed.

Making the backstop harder to leave than the EU is drunken madness.

I'm not in favour of leaving without a deal. A good deal would be fantastic, but it's not going to happen.

100% agreed.

The transition should BE the backstop. With a 2 year unilateral exit clause which is the same as the exit clause for Article 50. We would essentially then remain in a limbo of transition until the final agreement is ready, or give a minimum of 2 more years notice that we are leaving the transition without a deal.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

I voted leave so that we could decide how many and who could come to our country, things that we were not able to control in the EU. I have no problem with people who are going to make a contribution coming if we need them. Right now we probably do but that will not always be the case. I want these decisions to be made by people I can vote for and against. It's not that complicated.
    It's not at all complicated. As is not the point that people you voted for decided that they wanted to establish FoM EU-wide. But that's an old battle.

How about the horlicks that is being made of Brexit? Did it never occur to you that some of your fellow travellers wouldn't be so sensible as you are?
  • Options

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

I think that's the first time that I've seen a Leaver admit that there may have been the teeniest bit of xenophobia fluttering the hearts of *some* of those who voted for Leave. Well played.
    Its blindingly obvious isn't it?

There is also xenophobia in the hearts of *some* of those who voted Remain too.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

MaxPB said:

Honda announcement:

Did you not foresee any of this, David, looking at some of your fellow travellers on the Brexit Ford Anglia?
    In all honesty no. I thought our political class were inept, venal, incompetent and generally useless but it turns out I was naive, not cynical. Of course those who were elected to respect the vote but then do everything in their power to thwart it are also a major part of the problem. If they had kept their promises the deal would now be in place.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

It's not at all complicated. As is not the point that people you voted for decided that they wanted to establish FoM EU-wide. But that's an old battle.

How about the horlicks that is being made of Brexit? Did it never occur to you that some of your fellow travellers wouldn't be so sensible as you are?
    It occured to me. I'm content that we can chuck the buggers our if they make a horlicks of it here while I see no way to.chuck Juncker et al out.
  • Options
    Anyway, I must be off. Play nicely everyone.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

How many companies have bought £250k mechanical car washes recently?

For a whole number of reasons we need to incentivise capital investment over labour, especially unskilled labour.
  • Options
    SquareRootSquareRoot Posts: 7,095
    edited February 2019
    McDonnell says Labour needs tp.listen.post defections... far too late and Labour will.not listen.. Corbyn's mind is made up.
  • Options
    Luckyguy1983Luckyguy1983 Posts: 25,472
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

Like Remainer May for example?
  • Options
    edited February 2019

McDonnell says Labour needs tp.listen.post defections... far too late and Labour will.not listen.. Corbyn's mind is made up.

Its not just Corbyn, McDonnell says a lot of things he doesn't believe...the difference Corbyn just doesn't bother to lie.

McDonnell: I joined Labour only as a tactic

John McDonnell, the shadow chancellor, told hard-left allies that he had joined the Labour party as a “tactic” because it was a “useful vehicle”.

MPs have seized on the remarks, caught on film four years ago, as evidence that McDonnell is an “entryist ­Trotskyist” as rebels prepare the ground for a leadership challenge against his close ally Jeremy Corbyn this summer.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/mcdonnell-i-joined-labour-only-as-a-tactic-just-a-vehicle-for-left-ddqz3ws08
  • Options

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

It would be stupid to pretend otherwise. Similarly, there are people on the other side who genuinely have no time for the concepts of individual countries at all, not even bonny Scotland.
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124

Sanders is running.

..to the toilet?
  • Options
    El_CapitanoEl_Capitano Posts: 3,870
    Cyclefree said:

One to watch, I think.

Yes. I often used the word "thug" about Watson before his elevation to the deputy leadership (perhaps on here, I don't remember). Now he seems reflective and sensible.

I'm not sure whether that's just because everyone shines in comparison to Milne, Burgon and Gardiner, or whether taking up cycling has changed his personality...
  • Options
    _Anazina__Anazina_ Posts: 1,810
    Cyclefree

Much obliged!
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092
    By the way, to people who have been wondering why the tiggers picked now to make their move, I strongly suspect the election rumours are what prevented them from doing it a little earlier.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,298
    TOPPING said:

MaxPB said:

Honda announcement:

It beggars belief that people can't understand that were we not Brexiting, or were the Brexit we chose a more benign version, then the UK government could have made a play at keeping some, all, part, or a different version of Honda in the UK.

As it is, the uncertainty, together with our possible Hard, and in any case Chaotic Brexit precludes that.
    Next up, the Farmers' Union is laying into Brexit, or at least the government's handling of it.
  • Options

Or Turkey...oh it was...and it’s gone too.
    Nope. Read the statement. Turkey is staying. They're going to find a new role for it once the current model produced there is EOLed.
  • Options
    TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

When I was at boarding school my pal in the next bed had a picture of Snoopy above his bed saying, "I'm going to be sensible tomorrow". I didn't realise at the time that this was a forecast for our country.
  • Options
    Business Secretary speaking now is also laying into government's handling of Brexit as unacceptable to business
  • Options
    felix said:

Sanders is running.

..to the toilet?
    to his zimmer.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453

Nope. Read the statement. Turkey is staying. They're going to find a new role for it once the current model produced there is EOLed.

Just waiting for the Brexiteers who whined incessantly about "Turkey is joining the EU" to join the dots on that one...

Still waiting...
  • Options
    BromBrom Posts: 3,760
    Scott_P said:

Just waiting for the Brexiteers who whined incessantly about "Turkey is joining the EU" to join the dots on that one...

Still waiting...
    But I thought Honda would be moving their EU HQ from Britain, we were warned no business would want to stay here and they'd all be off to Frankfurt and Paris. Hmmm.
  • Options
    6/4 looks very big: you might be tying your money up for a while. There is even a faint chance that both the top two options will win...

https://twitter.com/LadPolitics/status/1097830828233687041
  • Options

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

So blindingly obvious that Leavers strenuously avoid mentioning it?

Can you give some sort of analysis of Remain xenophobia (though don't bother if it's some guff about wanting to keep the flow of nice white Europeans going while keeping out Africans, Asians etc BECAUSE THEY'RE BROWN/YELLOW/BLACK)?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

I think you mean "former alleged Remainer" May.

"Remainers" don't generally expend their entire political capital trying to push through an end to Freedom of Movement, Customs Union membership and Single Market membership.

Calling the Theresa May of 2019 a "Remainer" is about as accurate as calling the Oswald Mosley of 1959 a "social democrat".
  • Options
    edmundintokyoedmundintokyo Posts: 17,151
    edited February 2019

It occured to me. I'm content that we can chuck the buggers our if they make a horlicks of it here while I see no way to.chuck Juncker et al out.

He's leaving anyway but if not the way to do it would be to vote for the other party in the next EP elections.

Unless he does something seriously bad in which case you might want to write to your MEP to suggest they threaten to fire him partway through the term, as they did with the Santer Commission.
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,125
    edited February 2019
    RIP Karl Lagerfeld.

The Lady Wifi was sat next to Valentino at the post-BAFTA dinner. He is a similar age to Lagerfeld, and she said he looked more Madame Tussaud than haute couture.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

MaxPB said:

DavidL said:

How many companies have bought £250k mechanical car washes recently?

For a whole number of reasons we need to incentivise capital investment over labour, especially unskilled labour.
    Although car washing by hand produces a higher standard of service than car washing by machine.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

felix said:

It's pretty simple: if Labour was the broad church it used to be fools like Richard Burgon and Barry Gardiner would not be on the front bench and the likes of Cooper, Benn, Nandy and Lammy would be in the shadow cabinet.

That's correct. Interestingly Mcdonnell much more conciliatory today suggesting they're rattled. The Hatton thing however is grotesque and shows the true direction of travel.
    Corbyn was against expelling Militant Tendency members back in the 1980’s. So it is entirely in keeping with his views that people like Hatton would be let back in.

The timing of it coming out feels sub-optimal for Labour. If its message is "broad church, serious contenders for power with an ambitious but realistic socialist platform", it's not a great look losing 7 Blairites and welcoming back Degsy on the same day.

Of course, if its message is "up the revolution, screw the Tories", then carry on.
  • Options
    Incidentally, a propos yesterday's discussion on lead stories, I see that the lead on the Guardian - that bastion of left-wing fervour - is currently "Karl Lagerfeld / Fashion designer dies aged 85", with "Bernie Sanders / Democrat announces run for presidency" relegated to second place.
  • Options
    DavidL said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

It would be stupid to pretend otherwise. Similarly, there are people on the other side who genuinely have no time for the concepts of individual countries at all, not even bonny Scotland.
    Having had a to-and-fro with various PB Tories/Unionists (tbf I don't think you were one of them) about whether Scotland was in fact a country, I'm fully aware that there are plenty of folk with no time for the concept of certain individual countries.
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667

Biden hasn't actually declared yet (and there is a whole raft of minnows who haven't either, but quite probably won't now).
    Sanders running makes Biden even more likely to do so, I think.

And it looks good for Harris, as she already has oxygen, and Biden/Sanders will deprive others.
  • Options
    Scott_P said:
    Eugh. My periodic reminder to be thankful, as a Bitter Remoaner and member of the Out Of Touch Metropolitan Liberal Elite, that I never frequent McDonald's.
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

Having had a to-and-fro with various PB Tories/Unionists (tbf I don't think you were one of them) about whether Scotland was in fact a country, I'm fully aware that there are plenty of folk with no time for the concept of certain individual countries.
    Who would argue that Scotland is not a country?
  • Options

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

I think you mean "former alleged Remainer" May.

"Remainers" don't generally expend their entire political capital trying to push through an end to Freedom of Movement, Customs Union membership and Single Market membership.

Calling the Theresa May of 2019 a "Remainer" is about as accurate as calling the Oswald Mosley of 1959 a "social democrat".
    Cameron 'thought he'd be rather good at being PM". May thinks it's her destiny, and she's going to cling on whatever.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    Eugh. My periodic reminder to be thankful, as a Bitter Remoaner and member of the Out Of Touch Metropolitan Liberal Elite, that I never frequent McDonald's.
    More of a KFC man?
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
    felix said:

Sanders is running.

..to the toilet?
    Are the Dems going to re-run the 2016 primary?

It looks like it, with Harris taking Clinton's place.
  • Options
    nunuonenunuone Posts: 1,138
  • Options
    NigelbNigelb Posts: 62,667
    nunuone said:

felix said:

Sanders is running.

..to the toilet?
    Are the Dems going to re-run the 2016 primary?

It looks like it, with Harris taking Clinton's place.
    No. Biden will more than likely be in the mix.
  • Options
    BudGBudG Posts: 711
    edited February 2019

6/4 looks very big: you might be tying your money up for a while. There is even a faint chance that both the top two options will win...

Indeed, if that were on Betfair I would be all over the 6/4 and looking forward to locking in a very healthy profit just a few months down the line
  • Options
    nunuone said:
    A contest in Totnes would be interesting. I'm sure that Sarah Wollaston would win Totnes town and the Dart Valley overwhelmingly as an independent, whereas the coastal areas would go overwhelmingly for the Conservative.
  • Options

Cyclefree said:

felix said:

The timing of it coming out feels sub-optimal for Labour. If its message is "broad church, serious contenders for power with an ambitious but realistic socialist platform", it's not a great look losing 7 Blairites and welcoming back Degsy on the same day.

Of course, if its message is "up the revolution, screw the Tories", then carry on.
    A cynic might say that if all the Blairites and Jews leave Labour, so much the better for Corbyn and his followers. The fewer of them there are the less he has to worry about them. After all, if there are no Jewish labour MPs left, then the problem of them being harrassed by anti-Semites goes away, doesn’t it. I don’t think that Corbyn and his coterie are really very disappointed at all at losing these MPs. And would probably not be disappointed to lose more like them.

The most shocking fact I learnt yesterday is that Corbyn has not spoken to Luciana Berger since 2017. That is a shocking failure of leadership on every level.
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,930

Lol like finding it in the street. Only allowed £20.
  • Options
    edited February 2019
    Cyclefree said:

Cyclefree said:

felix said:

A cynic might say that if all the Blairites and Jews leave Labour, so much the better for Corbyn and his followers. The fewer of them there are the less he has to worry about them. After all, if there are no Jewish labour MPs left, then the problem of them being harrassed by anti-Semites goes away, doesn’t it. I don’t think that Corbyn and his coterie are really very disappointed at all at losing these MPs. And would probably not be disappointed to lose more like them.

The most shocking fact I learnt yesterday is that Corbyn has not spoken to Luciana Berger since 2017. That is a shocking failure of leadership on every level.
    Including when death threats were sent to Labour about her. Neither he or anybody in his office bothered to contacted her to say we have a nutter threatening to kill you, I think we need to have a chat about how to deal with this.
  • Options

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

So blindingly obvious that Leavers strenuously avoid mentioning it?

Can you give some sort of analysis of Remain xenophobia (though don't bother if it's some guff about wanting to keep the flow of nice white Europeans going while keeping out Africans, Asians etc BECAUSE THEY'RE BROWN/YELLOW/BLACK)?
    Well yes during the referendum a number of Remainers were making the argument that FoM was good because it was Europeans moving and the objectionable migration was that from Africa and the Middle East etc
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

"Country" is not a very useful term due to its ambiguity; "state" even worse.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    More of a KFC man?
    Ha ha, no. Prefer a local greasy spoon with a good hygiene rating.
  • Options

Scott_P said:
    More of a KFC man?
    Ha ha, no. Prefer a local greasy spoon with a good hygiene rating.
    Isn't such a thing a bit of an oxymoron?
  • Options

DavidL said:

DavidL said:

TOPPING said:

DavidL said:

notme2 said:

"Country" is not a very useful term due to its ambiguity; "state" even worse.
    Nobody who has spent more than ten minutes in Scotland could deny it is a country.
  • Options
    Deep thought: If TIG gets a few Tories as well as more lab defectors they potentially remove the Con-DUP majority, and create a possible Con-Tig majority. They've already burned their bridges with Labour and bringing down the government would cause an election that loses them their seats, what have they got to lose?
  • Options
    felixfelix Posts: 15,124
    nunuone said:
    Up to 3 is 2 less than was suggested yesterday.
  • Options

Deep thought: If TIG gets a few Tories as well as more lab defectors they potentially remove the Con-DUP majority, and create a possible Con-Tig majority. They've already burned their bridges with Labour and bringing down the government would cause an election that loses them their seats, what have they got to lose?

Top trolling.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,907
    felix said:

nunuone said:
    Up to 3 is 2 less than was suggested yesterday.
    They’re adding Anna Soubry to Sarah Wollaston and Heidi Allen. Unlike the others, who’d be happy in the Lib Dems and could well defect, Anna is a standard Conservative on any subject other than Brexit - she’s Ken Clarke’s younger sister in that respect.
  • Options
    nunuone said:
    Not if it is Soubry I don't think. She fought off an attempted deselection iirc last year. The chair in question had to resign.
  • Options
    StereotomyStereotomy Posts: 4,092

That would mean having to vote for May's deal, surely?
  • Options
    Nigelb said:

Biden hasn't actually declared yet (and there is a whole raft of minnows who haven't either, but quite probably won't now).
    Sanders running makes Biden even more likely to do so, I think.

And it looks good for Harris, as she already has oxygen, and Biden/Sanders will deprive others.
    I am red on Sanders. This is annoying.
  • Options
    CCHQ has dismissed a deluge of complaints that Christopher Chope brought the Tory party into disrepute by blocking the FGM and upskirting bills. Tories say he “was carrying out his duties and exercising his judgment”
  • Options
    williamglennwilliamglenn Posts: 48,082

That would mean having to vote for May's deal, surely?
    Subject to a referendum.
This discussion has been closed.