Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Options

politicalbetting.com » Blog Archive » Bad news for TMay from ConHome – nearly two thirds of members

Comments

• Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Does she need 159 or will a simple majority suffice

That is a simple maority of 1
    Not necessarily
    Not sure why you say that to be honest
    Abstentions. She could win 152-150, for example.
  • Options
    Scott_PScott_P Posts: 51,453
    TGOHF said:

Only if you ignore everything about the context of the vote because you are a moron.

Like you ignore the illegal campaign?
  • Options
    Donny43Donny43 Posts: 634
    Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

Good luck holding that line.

52:48 is an indisputable majority.

That's the line, right?
    The result will be implemented.
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Andrew said:

Be sort of typical of the whole thing if despite the 48 letters going in less than 48 managed to VONC her.

Graham Brady getting in his final troll before the ERG storm his shredding rooms with pitchforks.
    An Erdogan style coup? Would be a very crafty move.
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085
    rcs1000 said:

Ladies and gentleman, I think we've got him.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1072927832727322624

In the US, the view is increasingly that Trump is likely to end up prosecuted post-Presidency. There's tax evasion regarding the Fred Trump legacy. There's campaign finance violations. There's potentially obstruction of justice. The first of these is by far the most serious charges, and is the one that has been the subject of the least headlines.

Some of my conservative friends - engaging in a little bit of wishful thinking, perhaps - think that the best way forward would be for Trumo to stand down ahead of the 2020 election so that President Pence can preemptively pardon him. (As Ford did with Nixon.)
    I thought he was also being prosecuted (or something) in state courts which are not subject to a federal pardon? At least I think that’s what I read.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

When are we expecting results?

9.00pm
  • Options
    TGOHFTGOHF Posts: 21,633
    Scott_P said:

TGOHF said:

Only if you ignore everything about the context of the vote because you are a moron.

Like you ignore the illegal campaign?
    Scweam and scweam and scweam...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Published timetable is 9pm. But if they hold to that if they finish counting earlier I don't know.
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052
    Scott_P said:

rcs1000 said:

In the US, the view is increasingly that Trump is likely to end up prosecuted post-Presidency. There's tax evasion regarding the Fred Trump legacy. There's campaign finance violations. There's potentially obstruction of justice. The first of these is by far the most serious charges, and is the one that has been the subject of the least headlines.

Some of my conservative friends - engaging in a little bit of wishful thinking, perhaps - think that the best way forward would be for Trumo to stand down ahead of the 2020 election so that President Pence can preemptively pardon him. (As Ford did with Nixon.)

https://twitter.com/brianklaas/status/1072927554716254208
    I don't think President Trump being a liar is new news.

It is merely rationalised, as "well, all politicians are liars, and at least President Trump is on my side."

Which is, I think, a dangerous rabbit hole to go down.
  • Options
    IanB2IanB2 Posts: 47,345

MaxPB said:

9.00pm
    latest
  • Options
    PulpstarPulpstar Posts: 75,970
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Not necessarily
    Would that be enough :?
  • Options
    grabcocquegrabcocque Posts: 4,234
    I am quite clear that nothing has changed.

My deal is the only deal.

I am getting on with the job of delivering Brexit.
  • Options
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Not necessarily
    Anyone abstaining on this is not fit to be a conservative mp
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

Since the consensus is that she's going to win with room to spare, I'm going to predict that they vote her out..

I have not got a scooby. Seriously. I couldn't even guess. I think she'll win less than expected and everybody will go "Oh, that was closer that I thought". But as for whether she'll win or lose: no idea.

I think that's probably right.

But unless it's really, really close (like 55:45), then I don't see her stepping down.

For the record, I think the total number of votes cast will be rather fewer than people are forecasting, and there'll be at least 20 absentions/spoilt ballots.
    Seriously? You are joking? What would the point be of abstaining or spoiling a ballot paper? An appalling dereliction of duty if any Toty MP did.

Is Toty the new sensible party?
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,931
    edited December 2018
    rcs1000 said:

Sandpit said:

viewcode said:
    There’s still 9/1 on Betfair that she loses. In slightly from 19/2. Was 2/1 this morning.
    I'll take £10 of that, if anyone's offering...
    Back out to 10/1 now.

I’ve £20 at 1/2 and £5 the other way at 19/2 so happy with either result. I think it’s going to be much closer than most commentators expect.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

Since the consensus is that she's going to win with room to spare, I'm going to predict that they vote her out..

I have not got a scooby. Seriously. I couldn't even guess. I think she'll win less than expected and everybody will go "Oh, that was closer that I thought". But as for whether she'll win or lose: no idea.

But unless it's really, really close (like 55:45), then I don't see her stepping down.

For the record, I think the total number of votes cast will be rather fewer than people are forecasting, and there'll be at least 20 absentions/spoilt ballots.
    Seriously? You are joking? What would the point be of abstaining or spoiling a ballot paper? An appalling dereliction of duty if any Toty MP did.

Heidi Allen? :)
  • Options
    BenpointerBenpointer Posts: 31,758

How do you find time to keep posting on here Theresa? Today of all days!
  • Options
    rcs1000rcs1000 Posts: 54,052

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What would the worse result be? 200+ for may but 100+ against perhaps. A third of her party having no confidence in her would be extremely damaging but shed be within her right to plod on

157, 158 or more she will go on regardless
    You’re delusional
    Nope those are the rules
    Oh well done. That doesn’t mean she wouldn’t get the hint. It would be impossible for her to retain any authority or credibility if half her party have no confidence in her.
    If she wins more than 60% of the vote, then I suspect she will carry on. You may not like it. (You won't.) But the reason is that there is probably nobody else in the Parliamentary Conservative Party who could garner that level of support.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Not necessarily
    Absolutely. They either have confidence in their leader or they don’t. If there are any ‘abstentions‘ then I’m giving up politics to live in a wood.
  • Options
    JosiasJessopJosiasJessop Posts: 39,060
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

If May wins the Conservatives lose.

Unfortunately, it is likely that is May loses, the Conservatives lose.

And I hope the winnets who put in the 48 letters lose their seats at the GE or are deselected.
    Yeah a party of Hesletine, Wollaston and Allen will sweep the board at the next GE.
    That's a good point. However, I'd argue the same is true of one of JRM, Fox, Davis and Boris.

The Conservatives are screwed if they go down either of those roads.
  • Options
    Christopher Hope

@christopherhope
    BREAKING Senior Brexiteer with detailed knowledge of the count says 86 Tory MPs have voted that they have no confidence in Theresa May as Conservative leader #toryleadership

If that's true, then that's very good for May.
  • Options
    rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

What would the worse result be? 200+ for may but 100+ against perhaps. A third of her party having no confidence in her would be extremely damaging but shed be within her right to plod on

You’re delusional
    Nope those are the rules
    Oh well done. That doesn’t mean she wouldn’t get the hint. It would be impossible for her to retain any authority or credibility if half her party have no confidence in her.
    If she wins more than 60% of the vote, then I suspect she will carry on. You may not like it. (You won't.) But the reason is that there is probably nobody else in the Parliamentary Conservative Party who could garner that level of support.
    I think 100+ voting against her will be enough for her Cabinet to force her resign.100+ against, and the DUP refusing to support any deal with a backstop in it and she’s got to go.
  • Options

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You’re delusional
    Nope those are the rules
    I think 100+ voting against her will be enough for her Cabinet to force her resign.100+ against, and the DUP refusing to support any deal with a backstop in it and she’s got to go.
    Dream on.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

TGOHF said:

And I hope the winnets who put in the 48 letters lose their seats at the GE or are deselected.
    You know nothing about the conservative party. Don't embarrass yourself.
    Oooh, touchy.

But which piece are you responding to: that if May loses, the Conservatives also lose? Because if you don't believe that, then you don't know anything about the British electorate.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623

"I don't know that you're a robot, I think you're just a suit of armour with a tape recorder in you"

Or something
  • Options
    John_MJohn_M Posts: 7,503
    kle4 said:

kle4 said:

So what was all the fuss about all this time then!?

Prepare to be underwhelmed. It needs to sway the DUP, who hate to back down.
    It won't. The EUCO draft is

* not legally binding, only 'best-effort' commitments.
    * makes no changes to the WA, and explicitly AFFIRMS the WA
    * says nothing about Northern Ireland
    * requires the UK govt to take the EU's word on trust.

It's an absolute catastrofuck that confirms all the worst expectations of, well, everyone about the futility of this effort.

https://twitter.com/AlbertoNardelli/status/1072906967625150471
    This is the draft that is being discussed at the council over the next two days so why not wait and see the final version. The secret is in the name 'draft'
    Will wording changes make it any more legally binding?
    Council decisions are political decisions, as Cameron discovered to his cost.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

viewcode said:

Perhaps it f*cking well should be!

• Options
    BBC News - the Chancellor voted not long ago. Was asked by a hack as he went into the Committee room which way he was voting and he answered "Conservative".

Voting against then...
  • Options
    rpjsrpjs Posts: 3,787
    edited December 2018

rcs1000 said:

Ladies and gentleman, I think we've got him.

https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1072927832727322624

I thought he was also being prosecuted (or something) in state courts which are not subject to a federal pardon? At least I think that’s what I read.
    He certainly could be prosecuted in state courts for evading state taxes, and no federal pardon can absolve him of that.

Now, NYS currently has a law that disallows state prosecution of an offence that has been pardoned at federal level (the new, Democratic-controlled assembly is expected to repeal that law stat). There's also a current SCOTUS case to have state prosecutions of federally-pardoned or acquitted crimes ruled unconstitutional on grounds of double jeopardy.

Neither would help Trump, or anyone else, accused of federal and state tax evasion. In the US you file and pay your state taxes to your state taxation authority, quite independently of your federal filings and payments to the IRS. So state and federal tax evasion would be prosecuted on separate acts of dishonesty.
  • Options

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Not necessarily
    Absolutely. They either have confidence in their leader or they don’t. If there are any ‘abstentions‘ then I’m giving up politics to live in a wood.
    Is anyone on medical/family leave?
  • Options
    Donny43 said:

tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Not necessarily
    Is anyone on medical/family leave?
    They can use a proxy.
  • Options

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

Yeah a party of Hesletine, Wollaston and Allen will sweep the board at the next GE.
    That's a good point. However, I'd argue the same is true of one of JRM, Fox, Davis and Boris.

I dont think any of those four would win the leadership.
  • Options
    IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You’re delusional
    Nope those are the rules
    Dream on.
    I am - that’s why I voted for her in 2016 before the dream became a nightmare. Now it’s OK to dream again. The exit sign is hopefully beckoning for her.
  • Options
    MaxPBMaxPB Posts: 37,610

MaxPB said:

TGOHF said:

Oooh, touchy.

But which piece are you responding to: that if May loses, the Conservatives also lose? Because if you don't believe that, then you don't know anything about the British electorate.
    I have no opinion either way, I am sure you know nothing about the party or its inner workings. That much has been clear for a while.
  • Options
    Andy_CookeAndy_Cooke Posts: 4,818
    tlg86 said:

Pulpstar said:

Pulpstar said:

Not necessarily
    Or 118-109.
    That'd be 52%-48% on a turnout of 72%.
    At which point it'll be undeniable we're living in a simulation run by someone with an evil sense of humour.
  • Options
    SandyRentoolSandyRentool Posts: 20,676
    Time for the exit poll?
  • Options
    Lock the doors.
  • Options
    solarflaresolarflare Posts: 3,623
    If she does scrape through by 1 vote, is it not sort of mental that one of them is actually her own?
  • Options
    RobCRobC Posts: 398

Christopher Hope

@christopherhope
    BREAKING Senior Brexiteer with detailed knowledge of the count says 86 Tory MPs have voted that they have no confidence in Theresa May as Conservative leader #toryleadership

Certainly not worth cancelling the Apprentice for such a non event if true
  • Options
    DavidLDavidL Posts: 51,360
    Surely counting 300 votes takes 10 minutes max?
  • Options
    Penny Mordaunt and Louise Mensch may offer the way forward for a Toty party, at least for male voters. According to my wife Rory Stewart and Ivan Massow may also be eligible to join.
  • Options

BBC News - the Chancellor voted not long ago. Was asked by a hack as he went into the Committee room which way he was voting and he answered "Conservative".

Voting against then...

Pro business - not FO Airbus
  • Options

Christopher Hope

@christopherhope

If the no confidence vote is less than 100 then yes she's done well. Back then to the task of failing to get an inch out of Brussels, failing to get the deal through the Commons and being forced out in January having lost all authority.
  • Options
    RobC said:

Christopher Hope

@christopherhope

Certainly not worth cancelling the Apprentice for such a non event if true
    Yep - that’s not enough against to force her out sadly. Missed opportunity. Still, Corbyn will be happy if that’s case - still up against a lame duck.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You’re delusional
    Nope those are the rules
    Dream on.
    I am - that’s why I voted for her in 2016 before the dream became a nightmare. Now it’s OK to dream again. The exit sign is hopefully beckoning for her.
    You were a Tory MP in 2016?
  • Options
    WhisperingOracleWhisperingOracle Posts: 8,503
    edited December 2018
    86 anti would be very good *indeed* for May.
  • Options
    kle4kle4 Posts: 91,954

Christopher Hope

@christopherhope

Eh, in one sense. I'm not sure there is actually a good outcome for her from this, only some less shit ones.
  • Options

86 anti would be very good for May.

Yes, it would be a comprehensive win. Enough to tell the ERG to shut up and vote for the deal.
  • Options

Depends on the number of abstentions.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:
    "Badly damaged but limping on" is the title of her autobiography.
  • Options
    Detailled knowledge of the count suggests a teller - so doesn't include liars.
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    TGOHF said:
    If 120 (say) vote against her she's going nowhere - she's not finished.
  • Options
    tlg86tlg86 Posts: 25,195
    Expectations management from the Brexiters?
  • Options
    Black_RookBlack_Rook Posts: 8,905
    OK, now things have gone too far.

I switched over to Channel 4 to watch The Secret Life of the Zoo, and what do I find? Nigel Farage and Alastair Campbell howling at one another.

I know I tuned in to watch dumb animals but this wasn't what I had in mind.

Bloody Tories! Have now changed channels to the snooker. Dammit.
  • Options

TGOHF said:
    What's he talking about - she needs at least 158 to win?
    those are the rebel numbers. >100 finished, <80 big win

Personally I think that's more like >110, <70
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
    Alright, who still has popcorn left?
  • Options
    edited December 2018
    https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/12/12/eu-reacted-theresa-may-facing-no-confidence-vote/

"Bad news for Theresa May's Brussels trip as EU leaders will give her only 10 minutes of their time "

"The European Union is poised to reject Theresa May’s demands for “legally binding assurances” that the Irish backstop will only ever be temporary, senior EU diplomats have told Telegraph."
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

Yes, it would be a comprehensive win. Enough to tell the ERG to shut up and vote for the deal.
    I'm sure they'll get right on it - it's no longer a humiliating submission to eternal domination at the hands of the EU.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

Detailled knowledge of the count suggests a teller - so doesn't include liars.

Its a secret ballot, supposedly. If that turns out to be anything other than fantasy there will be trouble.
  • Options

OK, now things have gone too far.

I switched over to Channel 4 to watch The Secret Life of the Zoo, and what do I find? Nigel Farage and Alastair Campbell howling at one another.

I know I tuned in to watch dumb animals but this wasn't what I had in mind.

Bloody Tories! Have now changed channels to the snooker. Dammit.

Secret Life is starting now (I went to Chester Zoo - monorail! - back in April).
  • Options

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You’re delusional
    Nope those are the rules
    Dream on.
    Oops - typo, sorry. 2017.
  • Options

IanB2 said:

rcs1000 said:

HYUFD said:

HYUFD said:

You’re delusional
    Nope those are the rules
    Dream on.
    Oops - typo, sorry. 2017.
    Time to come clean now Jacob :lol:
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2018/12/12/eu-reacted-theresa-may-facing-no-confidence-vote/

"Bad news for Theresa May's Brussels trip as EU leaders will give her only 10 minutes of their time "

"The European Union is poised to reject Theresa May’s demands for “legally binding assurances” that the Irish backstop will only ever be temporary, senior EU diplomats have told Telegraph."

MPs regretting voting for May in 5,4,3,2...
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

TGOHF said:

Oooh, touchy.

I have no opinion either way, I am sure you know nothing about the party or its inner workings. That much has been clear for a while.
    Who is saying anything about the inner workings of the Conservative Party? What matters is the Great British Public. I cannot see any of the likely alternatives from the ERG lunatic fringe doing better at squaring the Brexit circle than May, or at being any more popular with the GBP.

Therefore, if she loses then the Conservatives lose.
  • Options
    CyclefreeCyclefree Posts: 25,221

Penny Mordaunt and Louise Mensch may offer the way forward for a Toty party, at least for male voters. According to my wife Rory Stewart and Ivan Massow may also be eligible to join.

I like Rory Stewart. I often see him in Cumbria when out walking. A bit weird looking but tall and strangely attractive. Also he wrote quite an interesting book about the Scottish borderlands and Cumbria, which was really a sort of love letter to his father, who sounded like a real character.

Trudy Harrison, who is the local Tory MP, is also nice and helpful. She is helping on a local campaign to save the local swimming pool. Has a small majority so makes it her business to appear and spend time at every local event going.

Ivan Massow is gay, I think. So not much use to us ladies. :)

There is no-one else who is remotely f****able. Being pawed over by Boris would be like having a boiled potato all over you.
  • Options
    kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

I'm sure they'll get right on it - it's no longer a humiliating submission to eternal domination at the hands of the EU.
    I think anyone who votes against could reasonably have the whip withdrawn.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334
    If May wins 230-86, she will be not ridiculously far away from reversing the result of that vote in Corbyn.

Which she will no doubt remind him of if he is ever foolish enough to raise it...
  • Options
    GallowgateGallowgate Posts: 19,085
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

And then what? A General Election?
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Surely counting 300 votes takes 10 minutes max?

The Tippex takes time to dry...... :)
  • Options
    Ave_itAve_it Posts: 2,411
    Still looks like 210-105 as projected earlier
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Which would achieve nothing - maybe some will be cowed, but you don't go as intense as many of them without believing it is more important than the whip.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

TGOHF said:

Oooh, touchy.

Who is saying anything about the inner workings of the Conservative Party? What matters is the Great British Public. I cannot see any of the likely alternatives from the ERG lunatic fringe doing better at squaring the Brexit circle than May, or at being any more popular with the GBP.

You have no idea what conservative voters want. We aren't the party of EUphilia.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I like Rory Stewart. I often see him in Cumbria when out walking. A bit weird looking but tall and strangely attractive. Also he wrote quite an interesting book about the Scottish borderlands and Cumbria, which was really a sort of love letter to his father, who sounded like a real character.

Trudy Harrison, who is the local Tory MP, is also nice and helpful. She is helping on a local campaign to save the local swimming pool. Has a small majority so makes it her business to appear and spend time at every local event going.

There is no-one else who is remotely f****able. Being pawed over by Boris would be like having a boiled potato all over you.
    You've tried this? I mean I know you used to work in London which is a very strange place but wow.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

People reckon that is more or less what Labour have on the other side with Momentum.
  • Options

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

If they don't fall in line I don't see any other option. If May has won convincingly then they need to fall in line with the party. Fuck principles.
  • Options
    Cyclefree said:

I honestly never expected to see such a sentence.
  • Options
    What a deeply unimpressive spectacle the Conservative party is. There’s just nothing there.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

TGOHF said:

I dont think any of those four would win the leadership.
    Two of them probably want it, and another probably wants to be kingmaker. And if May loses (and I hope shes does not), her replacement will be an ERGer. And of that crowd of ner-do-wells, those four are amongst the *best* options...
  • Options
    RobDRobD Posts: 58,985
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

If they don't fall in line I don't see any other option. If May has won convincingly then they need to fall in line with the party. Fuck principles.
    And then it still doesn't have the numbers to pass.
  • Options
    SandpitSandpit Posts: 49,931
    Surely they’d have counted the 317 ballot papers by now? 2 seconds each is less than 11 minutes...
  • Options
    FrankBoothFrankBooth Posts: 9,052
    Whatever the result can we at least agree that the turnout figure should be impressive.
  • Options
    ydoethurydoethur Posts: 67,334

What a deeply unimpressive spectacle the Conservative party is. There’s just nothing there.

And yet Labour are still worse.
  • Options
  • Options
    JonathanJonathan Posts: 20,902
    Sandpit said:

Surely they’d have counted the 317 ballot papers by now? 2 seconds each is less than 11 minutes...

These are conservatives. Counting is hard for these guys.
  • Options
    TGOHF said:

It's a line they won't cross. Unhelpfully as it really does seem like the deal has at least a chance if they would bend on that point.
  • Options
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

kle4 said:

MaxPB said:

Yes, they need to get off their "Acts of Union 1801"/"People's vote" hobby horses and vote it through.
  • Options
    OldKingColeOldKingCole Posts: 32,039
    MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

MaxPB said:

TGOHF said:

Oooh, touchy.

You have no idea what conservative voters want. We aren't the party of EUphilia.
    That's the weird thing. You used to be.
  • Options
    Sandpit said:

They're assessing the various rude things drawn into boxes instead of crosses
  • Options
    Danny565Danny565 Posts: 8,091
    ydoethur said:

If May wins 230-86, she will be not ridiculously far away from reversing the result of that vote in Corbyn.

Which she will no doubt remind him of if he is ever foolish enough to raise it...

Equally, the ConHome poll in the header is almost exactly the reverse of Corbyn's result in his 2016 re-election....
  • Options
    MarqueeMarkMarqueeMark Posts: 50,137
    Cyclefree said:

Just wondering - would a roast potato be any better?
  • Options
    317 ballots should take about 5 minutes. There are only two choices and one X allowed !
  • Options
    DavidL said:

Cyclefree said:

You've tried this? I mean I know you used to work in London which is a very strange place but wow.
    I still do work in London, at least some of the time.

I know. The things I have had to try in my time - imagine, even chocolate dribbled on my coffee. I told the boiled potato that that was a step too far........
  • Options
    I'd assumed it was a gag about stock reporting on GE day when there are restrictions on what can be said.
This discussion has been closed.